Copyright
Solomon Clark.

Antiquities, historicals and graduates of Northampton online

. (page 8 of 26)
Online LibrarySolomon ClarkAntiquities, historicals and graduates of Northampton → online text (page 8 of 26)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ted to the church, having been connected with it from its
organization, fifty-five years. Seven of his twelve children
survived him; three of them were sons and four daughters.



ANCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 99

Samuel, born 1687, a minister, was settled on Long Island.
Thankful, born 1674, married, 1698, Lt. Benjamin Lyman,
who lived on Pleasant street, one of the ancestors of the
late Theodore and of Henry, the martyr missionary.

Pass to the second on the Dea. Medad homestead, viz. : his
son, Ebenezer, known by his military and civil titles, Major
and Honorable. Among the Ebenezers of that period, natives
of the town, several of them men of note, this one j^robably
for ability and capacity, ranked as high as any. Born May
30th, 1669, he deceased 1754, in his eighty-fifth year. Cotem-
porary with him were two other noted men. Col. John Stod-
dard and Col. Timothy Dwight. Major Ebenezer married
his cousin, Hannah Strong, March, 1691. She died in No-
vember of the same year. Full name of his second wife not
ascertained. His daughter Sarah married Noah Wright;
Thankful married Gad Lyman, in 1738; late in life moved
to Goshen, became the ancestors of the Lymans of that town.
Gad and Thankful were the great-grandj^arents of F. W.
Lyman, of Kenosha, Wis. Major Ebenezer's sons were John,
Ebenezer, Simeon, Josiah, Seth, Daniel. The homestead,
twice as large as Dea. Medad's, comprised twelve acres in the
heart of the settlement. Built his celebrated dwelling, remem-
bered by not a few now, at the westerly end, a sightly spot
and structure, near where the Mansion house stood. The
precise date of its erection not known. In later years, when
occupied by his grandson, it went by the name of Red Tavern.
Major Ebenezers public career, entered upon in early life,
embraced a period of some forty years. One circumstance
may be given indicating his acquaintance and connection with
the legal profession. In a celebrated trial of two or more
Indians, for murder committed in Hadley about the year
1696, which caused much excitement in the county, Major



100 AN"TIQUITIES A^B HISTORICALS.

Ebenezer Pomeroy, then not thirty years of age, acted as
King's attorney; one of the jury was his father, Dea.
Medad.

Come next to the successors of the third generation on
this homestead, viz. : Daniel, Seth, and John, all military char-
acters. Lt. Daniel, who had the mansion and five acres, sur-
vived his father on the place only a year, being one of the three
Northampton men killed at Lake George, in August, 1755.
Seth, the same as Col. Seth, a patriot of the revolution, at the
battle of Bunker Hill, besides being an intrepid soldier and a
brave officer, was also an ingenious manufacturer of fire arms.
His homestead of three acres, where his children were born, lay
easterly and nearest the meeting house. His shop, in his
later years, stood between Pleasant and Hawley streets. John's
portion, Capt. John, as he was known, a house, shop, and four
acres, seems to have comprised the original house and shop of
his grandfather, Dea. Medad. Such were the Pomeroy occu-
pants of the third generation.

Pass briefly to the fourth. For half a century, 1755-1805,
the red tavern, so called, was associated with the name of
Major Daniel Pomeroy, son of Lt. Daniel. At the latter
date, 1805, three years before his decease, sold the same to
Esq. Levi Lyman. Long before this, that part inherited by
Capt. John and his son, Capt. Elisha, being the original
homestead of Dea. Medad, passed into the possession of
others. It remains to speak of Col. Seth's family, on the
easterly part of the Pomeroy estate. He had five sons,
viz.: Quartus, born 1735, a blacksmith, lived on Pleasant
street; shop stood where the first passenger depot on the
Conn. Eiver K. R. was built. He had a trip hammer run
by the water power of the brook. The large mansion,
afterwards the Nonotuck house, was built towards the lat-



ANCIEKT NORTHAMPTON" HOMESTEADS. 101

ter part of the last century, and occupied by liim; num-
ber of his children ten, four sons and six daughters. One
of the four graduated at Harvard in the class of 1786.
Lemuel lived in Southampton, father of Gamaliel, of the
same town, of Lemuel of Pittsfield, and of Theodore, a
physician in Utica. Seth, the oldest, graduated at Yale, 1753,
a tutor there, 1756-57. Settled in the ministry at Greenfield
Hill, Ct., where he deceased, 1770, father of Jonathan Law
Pomeroy, for many years minister of Worthington. Medad, or
Doctor Medad, a graduate of Yale, 1757, a physician till
1819, in Warwick, grandfather of the late Mrs. Abby Pom-
eroy Lathrop, wife of Joseph Lathrop. Asahel, born 1750,
the father of Miss Polly Pomeroy and others. He was a
farmer, remained on the homestead and received it from
his father. Built a hotel on a part of it, afterwards called
the Warner house, which he sold in 1821. Deceased in
1833, in his eighty-fourth year, when the residue of the
homestead, ** the last of the original Pomeroy property on
Main street was sold." These were Col. Seth's five sons,
viz. : Quartus, Lemuel, Seth, Medad, Asahel. Counting
from the time of Dea. Medad's purchase and the erection
of his dwelling in 1665, down to the year above specified,
1833, the Pomeroy estate covered a period more or less of
one hundred and sixty-eight years, in connection with five
generations.

It may be added, in conclusion, that Major Daniel had
two brothers, both, at one time, owners and occupants on
the homestead of their father, viz.: Pliny and William.
The latter, William, a clothier, lived at the foot of Man-
sion house hill, father of Col. Thomas, late of Florence,
and of Daniel, of North ville, Michigan; also, of Nancy,
wife of William Bolter. After his death, in 1808, it be-
12



102 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.

came the Bolter homestead. Pliny Pomeroy was father of
Gains, who lived on Elm street, next below the honse of
the late Kev. Dr. Hall. Gains Pomeroy is remembered as
the grandfather of William K. Wright, of Mrs. Elijah
Bartlett, and of her brother, Edwin Pomeroy, all three of
the sixth generation from Dea. Medad.

One more particular. The Pomeroy homestead is remark-
able for the number born upon it in the line of Dea. Me-
dad, having military titles, at least eight, viz.: Major Ebe-
nezer, Oapt. John, Ensign Josiah, Col. Seth, Lt. Daniel,
Major Daniel, Capt. Elisha, and last, but not least, having
attained a greater age than any of the seven, viz. : the
recently deceased and much respected Col. Thomas, in early
life characterized for his kind, accommodating manners,
and for many years deacon of the Florence church.

Homestead number six. Dea. Jonathan Hunt, Elm street.
The first of a series of the same name, in the same neigh-
borhood, father, son, grandson, great-grandson. Of Hartford
origin, born there, 1637. After acquiring a valuable trade,
and laying the foundation of an excellent character, he left
his native town, passed up the river through Windsor and
Springfield, and joined the Northampton settlement. Oppor-
tune his arrival, proving an acquisition to that infant com-
munity of great worth. No wonder he received a cordial
welcome, a home lot and sixteen acres of land. When about
twenty-five, Sept. 3d, 1662, he married Clemenza Hosmer, of
Hartford. Home lot situated on what long afterward became
Elm street; at that early date no highway ran past his prem-
ises. The familiar name of Lt. William Clark preceded
Dea. Jonathan in that part of the town. The Clarks and
the Hunts of several generations, as many as five, were neigh-
bors on that street, the former mostly on the west side, the



ANCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 103

latter on the east. It is thought that the first Hunt dwell-
ing, a stone's throw and more from the log structure first
erected by Lt. William, stood not far from the Mills place,
now owned by Miss Burnham. Here Dea. Jonathan lived.
Whole number of his children eight, four sons and four
daughters. In public estimation on the same footing with
the celebrated Dea. Medad Pomeroy, between whom might
be instanced several resemblances. Both were born the same
year, 1637, turned their attention about the same time to a
useful trade, Dea. Hunt that of a cooper, Dea. Medad that
of a blacksmith. Both, skilled workmen in their respective
branches, came to Northamj^ton about the same time. Appre-
ciated by the settlers, both received the same welcome and
the same quantity of land. Both lived on the same side of
the highway, about one-fourth of a mile apart. Both acted
together for a series of years on the board of selectmen, also
officiated at the same time, till Dea. Hunt's decease, in 1691,
as deacons of the church. Both made their influence felt
for good in the community. But passing the first occupant,
only fifty-four when he finished his work, outliving his wife
two short years, 1689-91.

The next link in the chain of descent comes the name of
his second son, usually styled Lt. Jonathan, born 1666.
From this date onward to his fifty-ninth year, 1724, resided
on this spot. Intelligent, forehanded, public-spirited. For
a further account of him, on what is now the S. E. Bridg-
man place, and the disposal he made of his estates to his
sons, Joseph, John, and Jonathan, also the amount he willed
the town for the support of common schools, and for other
items pertaining to his descendants of the Henshaw family,
see Homestead twenty-five. In passing, reference seems proper
to his younger brother, Ebenezer, who married a Clark, daugh-



104 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.

ter of CsLjit. William, son of Lt. William. The first twenty-
five years of their married life they spent on Bridge street,
greatly prospered, having a family of thirteen. Then, fol-
lowing the example of Capt. William, they moved to Leb-
anon, Ct. Two of the thirteen, however, afterward settled
in Northamj^ton, viz. : Dea. Ebenezer, and Beulah, who
married Jacob Parsons, whose large family of twelve, on
Bridge street, supplied the vacancy occasioned by her father's
removal.

As the third occupant of the ensuing generation, son of
the lieutenant, comes the name of Capt. Jonathan Hunt,
born 1697. At twenty-seven, viz. : 1724; married Thankful
Strong, one of the eight children of Jerijah, remarkable as
being the eighteenth and youngest child of Elder John.
They lived together forty-four years, till 1768, being the
date of his decease, in his seventy-second year. She sur-
vived him seventeen years, having lived on Elm street from
the time of her marriage, sixty-one years. Number of their
children six, two daughters and four sons. Martha and
Mary, the oldest and youngest of the six, both married
ministers. Martha's husband, Eev. Stephen Williams, Jr.,
settled at Woodstock, Ct., was a descendant of the third
generation of that remarkable woman, Esther Mather Stod-
dard, and therefore partly of Northampton origin. His
father, Rev. Stephen W., Sr., minister of Longmeadow, a
historical character, had a wonderful experience, when a boy.
Born in Deerfield, 1693, son of Eev. John and Eunice,
daughter of Rev. Eleazar Mather, first minister of North-
ampton, at the age of eleven, 1704, he, including others of
the family and of the settlement, was carried captive, by the
Indians, to Canada; long and tedious the journey, many the
privations, perils and sufferings. Twenty-one months after-



AifCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 105

ward, he returned by way of Boston. Graduated at Harvard
1713, three years later settled at Longmeadow. In subse-
quent life, it is said, he never wearied in recalling and rela-
ting the thrilling adventures of that portion of his early his-
tory. All classes regarded him with peculiar emotions; ex-
ceedingly entertaining his reminiscences. He died in the
ninetieth year of his age and the sixty-sixth of his ministry,
having held out in his work almost to the very last. Eev.
Stephen, Jr., and Martha Hunt, had six children. One of
them, the third Rev. Stephen, settled at Fitzwilliam, N. H. ;
deceased 1822, at the age of sixty.

Mary Hunt married, 1768, Rev. Benjamin Mills, the first
minister of Chesterfield, settled there 1764; dismissed on
account of feeble health, at his own request, in 1774. He
died at Chesterfield, 1785, having represented the town several
times in the Provincial Congress, and afterwards in the Gen-
eral Court. His wife preceded him in her departure some
six years. Whole number of their children five, perhaps six.
The youngest, Hon. E. H. Mills, born 1777, two when his
mother died, was early taken, reared, educated by her brother
Elijah, in Northampton. See below. Three or more de-
scendants of Rev. Benjamin Mills, of Chesterfield, graduated
at Williams college, one in 1797, one in 1814, another in 1851.

Already anticipated, the name of the fourth on the ancient
homestead, viz. : Elijah Hunt, the second son of Capt. Jon-
athan, born 1720. Married Hannah Lyman, daughter of
Capt. Moses. She died 1788, and for his second wife mar-
ried Jane Kirby, of Boston. No children by either marriage.
His house stood a few rods west of the old one. Twelve or
more times chosen selectman. One of the fifteen prominent
citizens who served in 1775, as committee of correspondence,
inspection and safety. His widow survived him sixteen years,



106 ANTIQUITIES AKD HISTORICALS.

1802-18. Joel, a brother, lived on tlie northeast corner of
the homestead. Another brother, Dea. Jonathan, father of
Abner and eleven others, lived near on Prospect street.

One more name on this homestead, the fifth, viz.: Elijah
Hunt Mills. About the first of this century, Esq. Mills
built his dwelling where the family resided till 1832, being of
the sixth generation, one hundred and seventy years from the
marriage of the first ancestor, Dea. Jonathan Hunt. Fuller
items of the Mills family given elsewhere.

Homestead number seven. Samuel Wright, Jr. Published
as originally written. Its unbroken continuance in that line
for so long a period, justly entitles it to the name of the
banner homestead of the town, and possibly of the whole of
Western Massachusetts. Married in Springfield, in 1653, he
came as a settler in company with his venerable father, in
1655, and the next year appears as one of the three select-
men. As in the case of the other settlers, he probably re-
ceived his home-lot as a gift of the town, and received it
soon after the time of his coming. Notice a sentence in the
will of Samuel, Sr., dated in 1663, ^'As for my beloved son
Samuel, he having had some estate formerly, and by God's
blessing he being well provided for, etc.," referring probably
to his homestead, and it may be other landed property, and
implying that he had been several years owner of the same.
Now respecting this ancient homestead, it may be said, and
the fact is a remarkable one, it has never passed out of the
hands of that family. The present venerable occupant and
owner, Samuel Wright, ninety-two, on the 30th of Dec, 1879,
has always, it is understood, lived on the place. Born there
in 1788, the fifth of his father's nine children, the interme-
diate links in the chain of descent comprise the following:
Samuel of the third generation, John of the fourth, Samuel



* AKCIEKT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 107

of the fifth, born 1751, died 1818, father of the nonagena-
rian. Thus, on the supposition that Samuel, Jr., received
his homestead in the year 1655, it has continued in the fam-
ily through the long period of two hundred and twenty-five
years. That is, through the whole time of Northampton his-
tory, excepting the first year, 1654. It may, therefore, prop-
erly be styled the banner homestead of the town. How
many such exist in the four Western counties of the State,
the writer cannot say. Since the foregoing was penned and
printed, in 1879, Samuel Wright, the last on this homestead,
has deceased, in his ninety-third year.

Homestead number eight. Kev. Solomon Stoddard. Con-
tained four acres, more or less, on the easterly end of Round
Hill, the boundaries stated in the town records, twenty rods
wide at one end, sixteen at the other. The house then
erected, about 1672, was probably the same as the Henry
Rose Hinckley dwelling, with the exception of the main build-
ing, which the second Solomon Stoddard built, one hundred
and ten years or so later, after the revolutionary war. A
historical structure, that first one, for the second minister.
The occupants of the first and second generations were histor-
ical characters, the ancestors of how many honored names in
the various professions. Here lived that remarkable woman
for over sixty years, wife of the first pastor, Mr. Mather, the
estimable companion of the second, Mr. Stoddard, Esther
Mather Stoddard.

Here were born the twelve childi'en, six sons and six daugh-
ters, of the first couple who lived on the homestead. Here
lived the ninth of the twelve, the renowned Col. John Stod-
dard, respecting whom in his funeral sermon President Edwards
thus wrote, in 1748: "Upon the whole, everything in him
was great, and perhaps there never was a man in New Eng-



108 AN-TIQITITIES AND HISTOKICALS.

land to whom the denomination of a great man did more
plainly belong." Here his seven or eight children were born.
Here, until 1809, lived the son of Col. John, Solomon S.,
the high sheriff of the county, one of whose children, Solo-
mon Stoddard, the third of the name, will be remembered by
some as clerk of the courts for many years, who lived and
died, almost ninety, next to the Justin Smith house, on Elm
street. The last child of the Stoddard race, born at this
ancient household, in March, 1809, was John Stoddard, recent-
ly deceased, at Savannah, fifth son of the third Solomon. May
1, 1809, the property was sold to Seth Wright of Boston, hav-
ing been in the hands of the Stoddard line one hundred and
thirty-seven years, from 1672 to 1809, the estate at one time
having embraced the whole of Kound Hill.

Homestead number nine. Deacon Ebenezer Wright. Sec-
ond son of Samuel, Jr., born in 1662, married at twenty-two
Elisabeth, a granddaughter of Elder John Strong. They had
one child, Mary Wright, that died five days before its
mother, Feb. 12th, 1691. He married for his second wife, Dec.
19th, 1692, Hannah Hunt, daughter of Lt. Jonathan, on Elm
street. They had eight children. As to the time Dea. Eben-
ezer established himself on Bridge street, cannot speak with
exactness. Probably about 1684, thirty years or more from
the settlement of the town. This ancient homestead has
continued from father to son through five generations into
the sixth, until now. Dea. Ebenezer lived on the place until
1748. From him it descended to his son Capt. Noah, born
in 1699, who died in 1775, at the age of seventy-six. Of
his six sons, Joel succeeded to the homestead, where he lived
from the time of his birth, in 1743, to 1796, fifty-three
years, leaving six sons and three daughters. One of these
six was the Joel Wright, a graduate of Yale in 1785, who



ANCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. 109

went to South America, engaged in business several years,
and died there in 1797, at the age of twenty-eight. Noah,
a younger brother of the graduate, the fourth son of the pre-
ceding, inherited the place, where, at the age of forty-one,
he deceased, in 1816, the father of five children. His oldest
son, Christopher, nephew of the graduate, next held the
property. There he deceased. His children, James G.
Wright, and sisters of the sixth generation from Dea. Eben-
ezer, now occupy with their aunt this ancient homestead,
having been in the family the long space of about one hun-
dred and ninety-seven years. The father of Rev. J. E. M.
Wright, of Goshen, was brother of Christopher, and born on
this place.

Homestead number ten. Lieut. John Lyman, South Farms,
near Smiths Ferry. The first probably to locate, in those
perilous times, so far from the center. Born on Pleasant
street, in 1660. Here his father, of the same name and
title, the first Lieut. John, brother of Richard, both born in
England, settled. Just here it may be proper to say that
originally the Lymans centered on Pleasant Street, as the
Wrights did on Bridge street, and the Clarks on Elm street,
and the Aliens on King street. It was Lieut. John, the set-
tler, on Pleasant street, who had command of the North-
ampton soldiers in the famous Falls fight, above Deerfield,
in King Philip's war, where much military valor was dis-
played. May 18th, 1676.

Comparatively young, twenty-seven, partaking of his father's
courage, Lieut. John, Jr., located himself at South Farms
in 1687, a farmer and an innkeeper, where he lived fifty-
three years, until the advanced age of eighty, in prosperous
circumstances. Himself one of ten children, so in his turn

he became the father of the same number. One of them
13



110 ANTIQUITIES AKD HISTORIC ALS.

went to Yale college. Before speaking of his successor, a
few words seem in point respecting his brother, Dea. Caleb
Lyman, Esq., born at Northampton in 1678, who resided at
Boston, one of the thirteen who organized, in 1714, the new
North church of that city, and one of its first deacons; a
justice of the peace; useful in all the relations he sustained.
Who, at his decease, left a legacy of five hundred pounds
for the use of the pastors of that church and their widows.

The next at the homestead, at South Farms, born in 1710,
was Elias Lyman, the fourth son of Lieut. John, Jr., also an
innkeeper and a farmer, whose wife, Hannah Allen, born on
King street, was a daughter of Dea. Samuel. The ancestor of
several who became eminent in the ministry, he lived on the
homestead, in all, from 1710 until 1790, having consequently
attained the same age, viz. : fourscore, as his father. The
third on the place, as is supposed, having the same title as
his grandfather and great-grandfather, viz. : Lieut. Joel Ly-
man, was born in 1742. Married in 1764; lived nearly sixty
years, 1742-1801. His grandson, Joel Lyman Dickinson, of
Granby, entered the ministry and died at Plainville, Ct.,
1867. Precisely how long this ancient homestead continued
in the family line is not known; it is thought about one
hundred and twenty-six years into the fourth generation.

Having alluded to the two brothers, Kichard and John,
both born in England and settled near each other in North-
ampton, before passing to the next particular, it may be
added there was another, Kobert, the youngest of the three,
who settled in Northampton, on Hawley street, reputed to
have been a sportsman, who devoted much time to fishing,
hunting, trapping, and the like.

Homestead number eleven. The second Dea. John Clark,
ancestor of the David Clark race. He was the oldest of six



ANCIENT NORTHAMPTON HOMESTEADS. Ill

sons and five daughters. The sons lived on their respective
homesteads from fifty-eight to seventy years. The second
Dea. John, (his father being the first) was born on Elm
street in 1679. Married in 1704. Settled the same year on
South street; occupied the same house sixty-four years, the
last thirty-eight years went by the name of Dea. John. Of
his twelve children, the twelfth, David, born in 1729, lived
on the homestead and deceased in 1810, aged eighty-one. He
was the father of nine children. David, the seventh, born
in 1766, married in 1791; of the third generation, lived on
the place from his birth to his decease in 1846, eighty years.
Of his eight children, Dorus, the seventh, succeeded his
father, and died in his fortieth year, in 1846, three months
after his father. The homestead of the second Dea. John,
continued in the possession of that branch of the Clark fam-
ily, one hundred and fifty years, 1704-1854.

Homestead number twelve. Nathaniel Clark, brother of
the second Dea. John, the second in that family of long
lived brothers. A young man of twenty-four, when married
to Hannah, a daughter to John Sheldon, and settled on
South street, in 1705, where he lived sixty-two years, 1767,
into his eighty-seventh year, the father of five sons and one
daughter.

The oldest of his children. Ensign, afterwards Lieut.
Nathaniel, born in 1707, married in 1728, Sarah, the daugh-
ter of Samuel Kingsley, lived on the homestead from 1706-
1773. Chosen selectman in 1755, 1761-64. Had three sons
and seven daughters.

Followed by the third Nathaniel, born in 1749, who mar-
ried in 1774, Abigail Warner, aunt of Oliver Warner, pro-
prietor of the Warner House. He lived on the place where
he was born seventy-four years, and died there in 1823. His



112 ANTIQUITIES AND HISTORICALS.

son, of the same name, the fourth on the homestead, born



Online LibrarySolomon ClarkAntiquities, historicals and graduates of Northampton → online text (page 8 of 26)