Stillman Carter Larkin.

The pioneer history of Meigs County online

. (page 13 of 16)
Online LibraryStillman Carter LarkinThe pioneer history of Meigs County → online text (page 13 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he wife of Morris Greenlee. Almena was married to Jacob
jrinker, of West Virginia. Mahala was the wife of a Mr.
)uillen.
Edward Roush married Julia Sparr; moved to Illinois and
ied. David Roush married Maria Hayman ; moved to Grand
vapids ; is dead.

Mr. Henry Roush, Jr., died at an advanced age, and his wife,
Irs. Anna Roush, attained the remarkable age of 105 years at

i



160 Pioneer History of Meigs County

her decease. They were worthy people, and their children
were all esteemed members of society.

Mrs. Dorothy Harpold was a daughter of Henry Roush, Sr.

Paper by Mr. Charles Matthews, of Washington, D. C, as
published in the Leader, March 12th, 1908:

"Among the earliest settlers of Meigs county was George
Washington Putnam, son of Colonel Israel Putnam and
grandson of General Israel Putnam. George W. Putnam was
born in Pomfret, Conn., July 27th, 1777. After the Indian war
he came to Ohio with his father and his family, driving one of
the teams, along with the late Phineas Matthews, of Cheshire, j
who also drove one of Colonel Putnam's teams. George W.
Putnam was married March 31st, 1799, to Lucinda Oliver,
daughter of Colonel Alexander Oliver, of Washington county,
and settled on lands then in Washington county, now located
mostly in Gallia county, but the fraction of land on which he
built his house is now located in Meigs county, on what is i
known as the Jacob Coughenour farm, between the turnpike
and the river and from the Carl coal railway down the river i
to where the township line strikes the river. He also owned
two 100-acre lots, Nos. 392 and 395, immediately west, now in
Cheshire township. His dwelling stood on the lower part of
the fraction of land now in Meigs county, where he lived and
died before Meigs county was formed.

Their children were Sarah, Lucretia, George W., Jr., Isabel "j
and Clarinda. Sarah married 'Henry Sisson, February 16th, |
1818. He was killed by the falHng of a tree January 10th,
1827. George W. Putnam was the first county judge of Gallia
county. He died in May, 1815, of what was known as the^
"cold plague." Whatever that may have been, it was cer-
tainly contagious, for the reason that Mrs. Mary (Russell)
Matthews, first wife of Phineas Matthews, who volunteered to
help attend their old friend during his illness and until his
death, was then herself taken with the same disease and died
in a short time. Another version of his death is that he was




CHARLES MATTHEWS



Pioneer History of Meigs County 161

helping Phineas Matthews shear his sheep, became overheated,
drank too much cold water and was taken with the "cold
plague" and died at the Matthews farm house. Mrs. Matthews
nursed him, took the same disease and died within a week
(June 4th, 1815), leaving an infant son, a few days less than
two months old.

Mr. Putnam was buried on his farm, and several of his fam-
ily were afterwards buried beside him. His unmarked grave
is located immediately below the Carl coal railway, about half
way from the turnpike to the river. Formerly there was a
tombstone at his grave, but about four years ago some of his
relatives bought a lot in the Gravel Hill Cemetery, Cheshire
township, and moved the tombstone to that cemetery, but did
not remove the remains of Mr. Putnam or his family. The
grave can yet be located by Mr. Coughenour or W. P. Cohen
or his mother. The son has repeatedly told me that he "would
be willing to undertake to remove his remains to Gravel Hill
Cemetery." Copied by E. L. B.

Tumuli or mounds were seen in various localities,
always bearing evidence of man's work in their construction ;
always conical in shape and usually situated on the top of
hills, as favorable to watch tower use. The curiosity of many
settlers, ignorant and otherwise, despoiled these peculiar
mounds by digging them down to find what might be en-
tombed within. Human skeletons, pottery, mica and stone
axes, copper rings, were exhumed in most places. There were
in Lebanon township several mounds, one on the Bicknell
farm that had a well defined fortification in the shape of a
horseshoe surrounding the mound at a regular distance from
]^j the base. This mound was never opened, but, being in a field
of level land, was plowed over, and very much of the hill shape
was leveled. A larger mound on the James Hall farm was
opened, and human bones, trinkets of copper, mica and curious
stone arrows, pipes and gtone axes were disclosed. In Rutland



162 Pioneer History of Meigs County

township was a large mound on the hill near the center of Sec-
tion No. 7. It was twelve feet high, and the bones of a very ;
large man were found there. A small one on white clay bot-
tom was on the Stevens farm ; also one on the southeast quar-
ter of Section No. 8. A large mound on fraction No. 13 was ^
known as the one on which Samuel Denny stood and made an
oration July 4th, 1806.

According to the measurements and calculations by a civil b
engineer, Henry Grayum, in 1873, the principal coal seam in
Meigs and Gallia county has a dip to the east of about twenty-
seven feet and to the south five feet to the mile. The greatest
elevation in the measurements taken was at Braley's salt well,
840 feet, and its least at Antiquity, 377 feet, a difference of 463
feet in the direction of tidewater at Norfolk, Va.

Samuel Denny was a prominent actor in nearly all the pub-
lic transactions on Leading creek, and by many persons his
name was supposed to be Dana, but the reading of his letters
and business accounts show that he subscribed his name as
Samuel Denny.

Livingston Smith was the son of Noah Smith and his wife
and was born in Vermont in 1796, but came with his mother
to Leading creek, Ohio, in 1800, his father, Noah Smith, hav-
ing died in Carlisle, Pa., while moving with his family to Ohio. |t
Livingston grew up to manhood, married Eliza Case and set- jc
tied on a farm in Rutland township and reared a family. Mr
Smith was a good citizen, intelligent and esteemed by the
community, and lived and died in Rutland township. Virgil
C. Smith was the son of Livingston Smith and was born No-
vember 28th, 1833. and married Mary Plummer in 1857,
who died in 1875. He was married the second time, to Agnes !
C. Torrence, in 1876. He was a farmer and also a minister of
the Christian Church. He lived in Rutland and was identified
with every enterprise for the moral elevation of the dependent



Pioneer History of Meigs County 163

md neglected. He was the recording secretary of the Pioneer
Society of Meigs county at the time of his death, in March,
1885, a man loved by his friends and respected by his neigh-
Dors. He left a widow and seven children.

Mrs. Noah Smith, the mother of livingston Smith, came
KTom Vermont to Leading Creek, Ohio, with three daughters,
resides the son, heretofore mentioned. They were: Theresa,
who was married to Eliezer Barker, who was drowned in
Leading creek in June, 1813. She afterwards was Mrs, Laun-
dress Grant. Jenny Smith married a Mr. Maples. Nancy

jSmith became the wife of Captain Jesse Hubbell.

I

; William Johnson was born in Ireland and married Sally
Harmon, They emigrated to the United States and came to
Shade river in Chester township in 1800. There they made a
pome, in which they raised a large family. This was a relig-
ious family, and all lived to honor their pious parentage.
A.bram Johnson was a local preacher, and Thomas Johnson
moved west. Mary was the wife of John Miles. Adaline, Mrs.
rlenry Ellis. Sarah, Mrs. John Wolf. William Johnson and
his wife died in 1836 and 1848.

John Entsminger was born in Virginia in September, 1757,
and when but a youth of seventeen years was an active par-
ticipant in the battle at Point Pleasant under the immediate
:ommand of Colonel Charles Lewis. He was a soldier in the
Revolutionary War under General Francis Marion and sub-
sequently under General Morgan. He fought at the battle of
Cowpens. Many incidents of soldier Hfe were related by him
in later years to his children. Mr. Enstminger was captured
by the British at one time, but released on condition that he
would go home and fight no more. A comrade, whose name
was Vansant, and he started home, but on the way they came
across several Tories who were building a house and who
twitted them about having been captured. They went on a



164 Pioneer History of Meigs County

little farther, when Mr. Entsminger said to his comrade, "I
wish we had thrashed them," and, going on a Httle farther, he
said, "Let's go back and thrash them." So they turned back
and whipped the Tory men, took them prisoners and marched
with them to the Continental army and again took up arms
and served until the close of the war for independence. John
Entsminger married Jane Reese, February 16th, 1787. She
was born on July 26th, 1759. They moved with their family j
from Botetourt county, Va., to Ohio, in the fall of 1797. They
traveled overland, bringing their stock and household goods
with them. They would travel all day and camp at night.]
Sometimes stopping a day to cook and bake, when necessary.
They milked their cows, and after using what milk they want-
ed put the rest of it in the churn, set the churn in the wagon,
and the butter was ready to take out when they stopped at
night. They crossed the Ohio river about five miles above
where Gallipolis now stands, known then as French Town.
At that time, leaving out the primitive town, there was but
one house besides theirs in a radius of ten miles on the Ohioj
side of the river. They ground corn on hand mills and went
to Logan for flour. Later they could buy flour from the canoe-
men who poled their crafts up stream. Salted bear meat and
fresh game supplied their tables. Although fifty-five years of j
age, Mr. Entsminger volunteered and served a term under
iGeneral Tupper in 1812 in the Northwest. His eldest son,
David Entsminger, was a soldier in the War of 1812. Mr.i
John Entsminger and his wife had a family of two sons and
four daughters. David, John Lewis. The daughters were : j
Mrs. Luther Shepherd, Mrs. John Bing, Mrs. Daniel Grayum
and Mrs. David Grayum, who was left a widow with two
daughters and two sons. Henry Grayum served as major in
the Civil War; William Grayum was a captain in the Fourth
West Virginia from the first to the close of the war in 1865.
Mr. John Entsminger felt crowded when the settlers moved
into that neighborhood, so he went farther into the wilderness



Pioneer History of Meigs County 165

and located near where Langsville is now and lived there with
his son, John Lewis Entsminger, until the close of his event-
ful life, on October 10th, 1830, fifty-six years to a day from the
celebrated battle of Point Pleasant, aged seventy-eight years.
He was buried in the Miles Cemetery. Mrs. Jane Entsminger
died May 19th, 1830, in the seventy-first year of her age, and
is buried in the Miles Cemetery at Rutland, Ohio.

George Wolfe, father of John, Jacob, Peter and Henry
Wolfe, came from the Shenandoah valley of Virginia to the
rich bottom lands on the Ohio river adjoining the present
village of Racine, about 1807 or 1808, date uncertain. He
felled the great trees and toiled hard to clear land for cultiva-
tion, and in 1812 his sons, John Wolfe and Jacob Wolfe, who
had families, emigrated to Ohio. John Wolfe, with a four-
horse covered wagon, came over the Alleghany mountains to
linherit the home founded by the father, George Wolfe. There
were two younger brothers, Peter and Henry Wolfe. John
Wolfe and Jacob Wolfe built each of them a two-story brick
Ihouse on the river front of their respective farms and reared
large families. They tilled the land, planted fruit trees and
Hived to see a numerous posterity grow up around their homes,
a quiet, honest, industrious people. The Wolfe bottoms have
been owned and cultivated by the descendants of George
Wolfe for at least one hundred years. In recent years the
families have been distributed over other sections of the coun-
try.

The first Regular Baptist Church in Rutland was organized
Dn November 27th, 1817, by members signing the covenant,
seven men and three women. Benjamin Richardson, clerk,
and Thomas Everton, deacon. The church was further organ-
ized on October 31st, 1818, by the following persons signing
iihe covenant : Thomas Everton, Asahel Skinner, Anson Gas-
ton, Benjamin Richardson, Robert Simpson, Relief Everton,



166 Pioneer History of Meigs County j

Betsy Richardson, Elizabeth Holt, Thomas Gaston, Jared
Gaston, Ebenezer Everton, Laundress Grant, William Steven:i,
Joseph Richardson, Sally Stevens, Bethiah Simpson.

The first preachers were Aaron Holt, Peter Aleshire, Horace
Persons and Thomas Gaston. Afterwards other ministers
preached at different times — James Hovey, Amos Stevens and
James McAboy. The brick schoolhouse was used for religious
worship by several denominations — the Free Will Baptists,
Presbyterians, Methodists, Regular Baptists and Universal-
ists. The Presbyterians built a church on the lot by the
Plummer homestead in 1820, it being the first church erected
in Rutland township. The Regular Baptists built their church
in 1838. Benjamin Richardson gave the lot and did a large
share toward building the house. The first Disciples, or
Christian church, in Rutland was built on a lot given by Rev.
Elisha Rathburn.

Rutland Cemetery was surveyed and laid out in lots in 1824
by Samuel Halliday. The place had been used as a burying
ground for a long time, but the interments had been made
without regularity, so that it was difficult to make the proper (
arrangement of the premises when surveyed by Mr. Halliday.
The lots were made 8 by 33 feet in size. Later, in 1872, the
township of Rutland bought of George McQuigg the cemetery
grounds, which, including the "old graveyard," contains three
and three-quarters acres of land. The size of the new lots,
10 by 24 feet, which are staked and numbered.

The first burial in what is now Rutland township, from the
settlement in 1805, was that of a girl nine years of age and
who was buried on the Higley farm, a spot afterwards aban-
doned, but a family burying place was made on the Higley
grounds in subsequent years. Many persons were buried on
the Phelps farm. Some of the pioneers were interred on their
own land. The first grave made in the Miles' Cemetery was
for a little child, but no date is known. Dr. Clark, from New
England, came to Ohio in quest of health, and died soon after ;



Pioneer History of Meigs County 167

his arrival and was the second person buried there, but his
grave was unmarked and the precise location is lost, as is
many another one.

John Hayman and family came from Somerset county, Md.,
about 1810. They came first to Letart Falls, in Virginia, but
soon removed to Letart, Ohio. Their eldest son was Spencer
Marshall Hayman, who married Jerusha Chapman, a daughter
of Ezra Chapman, an old settler in Letart township. Spencer
M. Hayman was a surveyor and after the organization of
Meigs county, was elected as surveyor for the county, and
served the public in that office for many consecutive terms.
He was also justice of the peace and the first postmaster at
Apple Grove, so named because of Mr. Hayman's large orchard
of line fruit. They brought up a large family — three sons and
five daughters. The sons were : Ezra Hayman, who married
Sally Wright, of Mill Creek, W. Va., who lived and died in
Letart township. Henry Hayman was married twice. His
first wife was Minerva Marvin, a daughter of Calvin Marvin ;
the second wife was a Miss Harding. Henry Hayman lived
in Mercer's Bottom, where he died. Harrison Hayman mar-
ried Agnes Williamson, a daughter of Wilkinson D. William-
son, of Lebanon township, Meigs county, Ohio. They settled
in Warth's Bottom, W. Va. Both are dead. The daughters:
Sinai Hayman was the wife of Hillman Parr. Betsy Hayman
was married to William McKay, of Warth's Bottom. Minerva
was Mrs. Ephraim L Sayre, of Letart township.

Martha Ann Hayman was married to Elson Paden, and
their home was just below Letart Falls, in Ohio. They were
noted for true Christian lives and benevolence.

Angeline Hayman was the wife of a Mr. Paden; both died
early.

Kitty Hayman married James Ashworth. Both died soon.

Josiah Hayman was the second son of John Hayman and

was in the family that moved from Maryland. He married

, Nancy Ford, a daughter of Mrs. Esther Ford, a widow, who



168 Pioneer History of Meigs Count V

came from Maryland at the time of the senior Hayman's emi-
gration to Ohio. Josiah Hayman Hved in Letart township,
where they brought up a large family. Mr. Hayman was a
local preacher, belonging to the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and a fine singer, noted for leading large congregations on
camp grounds. They had a family of sons — Wesley, Henry,
Calvin, Lewis, William and Charles; daughters — Elizabeth,
Mary Ann, Regina and Adaline Esther. Wesley Hayman
married Thirza Maria Cross, became insane, never recovered.
Henry Hayman married Margaret Wagner and lived in Letart.
He was a man highly esteemed by a large circle of friends and
acquaintances. He was elected sheriff one or two terms.
Always identified with the affairs of his church as steward,
class leader and Sunday school superintendent. They reared a
family of worthy citizens. Calvin and Lewis Hayman died in
young manhood.

William Hayman, son of Josiah Hayman and his wife, was
married to Mary Jane Donally, a daughter of Andrew B. Don-
ally, many years clerk of the Court of Common Pleas, Meigs
county. He made their home at Letart Falls, W. Va. Was a
merchant. Esther Hayman became the wife of Lewis Pil-
chard ; lived at Letart Falls. Elizabeth married John Ritchie,
but died soon afterwards. Regina was the wife of Townsend
Smart ; lived in Racine and died there, leaving a family of five
children — Arthur, Frank, William, Earl and one daughter.

Adaline Hayman was the wife of Philip Jones, of West Vir-
ginia.

Hezekiah Hayman was a nephew of John Hayman, Sr., and
moved with his family from Maryland in company with his
uncle to Ohio in about 1810. One son, Robert Hayman, lives
in Middleport, Ohio. Stephen Hayman married Letitia Cald-
well, and their children were: John N. Hayman, one of the
commissioners of Meigs county for several terms ; Stephen



Pioneer History of Meigs County 169

Hayman, of Grand Island, Neb., and Maria, the widow of
David Roush, who died at Grand Island, Neb.

John Wagner was born May 12th, 1792, and came to Letart,
Ohio, from Lancaster, Pa., after the War of 1812. He was a
soldier in that war. He married Elizabeth Himeleich in 1818
and settled in Letart, Ohio. They had three children — George
H. Wagner, Alfred N. and Margaret, who became the wife of
I Henry Hayman, son of Josiah Hayman. Mrs. Elizabeth
: Wagner died in October, 1821. Mr. Wagner married a second
wife, a widow, Mrs. Lydia McClain, and they had two chil-
dren. Mr. John Wagner died in March, 1882, and Mrs.
I Lydia Wagner died at ninety years of age.

George Burns came from Philadelphia to Letart, Ohio, at
an early day. Had charge of a floating mill at Letart Falls
and kept a store, said to be the first at Letart, Ohio. There
was a family of three daughters and one son, George Burns,
Jr. The eldest daughter was Mrs. Alfred Beauchamp, of
Elizabeth, W. Va. Caroline became the wife of Thomas Alex-
ander, of Letart, and spent her long life in their home in
Letart, where they brought up a family of eleven children.
They were influential and highly respected people. They died
at the advanced ages of eighty-four and ninety years. Regina
Burns was married to John Caldwell and made a home in
Letart, where they brought up a family. She died many years
ago.

Obadiah Walker and Cassandra Walker, nee Halsey, lived
in Chester township in 1805 and spent their long lives in the
same locality. They were good citizens and brought up a
large family of sons and daughters.

Jesse Walker, the eldest child, was born in 1806. He was
twice married. Miss P. M. Richardson was the first wife, but
dying, left two children. He then married Margaret Mauck,
of Cheshire, Gallia county, where they made their home



170 Pioneer History of Meigs CouNtY'

until death. They had two children. Jesse Walker died at
the ripe age of eighty-five years, a kind, upright man, a mem-
ber of the Free Will Baptist Church from his youth. Milton
Walker married Harriet Newel and lived in Chester several
years, and then went to Illinois. They were Methodists, earn-
est Christians. Selden Walker, Vincent Walker and Obadiah
Walker were younger sons. Vincent married Sevilla Weldon
and moved to Iowa and died there. Obadiah married Emily
Weldon ; lived and died in Chester township. Bethia Walker
was the wife of Baza Wells, in Chester. She had two children,
but buried them and her husband also. She was married
afterwards to Benjamin Brown, of Athens, Ohio. All are
dead.

Melissa Walker married and was left a widow in Iowa.
Emeline Walker was the wife of William Church, in Rutland,
Ohio,- where he died, and she went to Iowa. Samaria Walker
was married to James Decker, of Lebanon township. They
had two or three children. Mr. Decker and Mrs. Decker died
in Lebanon township. Caroline Walker was married to Abner
Hissim, of Tanner's Run, Ohio, but later they removed to
Iowa.

In the Gallia county records of deeds made for lands coming
within the boundary of Meigs county when organized is the
name of Thomas Halsey, purchaser, 1792. The family of
Halsey have continued in Chester and Orange townships, with
their descendants.

Dr. Fenn Robinson was the most noted doctor within the
boundaries included in Meigs county in the pioneer days. lie
had an extensive practice, and he was equal to any emergency.
His saddle pockets were receptacles for all medicines needed,
with compartments for surgical instruments. He could pull a
tooth or cut off a man's leg, if necessity required, lance an
abscess or an arm, spread a fly blister plaster or set a dislo-



Pioneer History of Meigs County 171

cated joint. He rode through the woods, following road or
trail, through creeks, at high or low tide, in rain or snow, at
night or in the day — he found the way. His patients believed
in him and had faith in his skill. His travels were in a radius
of more than thirty miles from his home at Chester, and he
was the family doctor for two or more generations. No trained
nurse with sick folks then, nor pharmacist to fill prescriptions.
He reared a large and highly respectable family. Dr. Robin-
son never ran for Congress nor sued a poor man for his bill.
His honors rested on a noble life.

John Hall and his wife, Sarah Hall, nee Hahurst, came from
Pennsylvania and settled on a tract of land in Letart town-
ship above the mouth of Old Town creek, known as Ohio
river bottom land, in the year 1811. Mrs. Hall was reared by
Quaker parents. They were industrious and thrifty and
cleared for cultivation their large farm. They had a large
family of sons and daughters.

James Hall, the eldest son, married Leah Ford, and they
lived in Lebanon township and brought up a family. Their
children were : William Henry Hall, Wesley, Thomas, Isaac
Lewis, Spencer Marshall and a son Benjamin, who died in
childhood. Two daughters were : Sarah, who was married to
Hamilton Parr and lived in Brown county, Ohio. Ann Maria
Hall died in young womanhood. James Hall was elected jus-
tice of the peace and served one or two terms. He was post-
master for Great Bend, Ohio, several years. He died in 1885
or 1886. Mrs. Hall lived to the great age of eighty-seven
years, a most excellent woman. They both died in Great
Bend, Ohio. Job Hall married Betsy Smith, daughter of Solo-
mon Smith. She died early, leaving two children. Job Hall
was killed on his boat on the Yazoo river, supposedly for
money.

Ela Hall married Polly Lasley. John Hall married Silvina
Bufifington. Aaron Hall married Nancy Crall. The daughters



1Y2 Pioneer History of Meigs County

were : Nancy Hall, the wife of Isaac Lauck, and moved to
Missouri, Rachel was married to Ezra Lauck, and they went
west. Matilda Hall was married twice — first to Mr. Shafer
and afterwards to John Lee. She lived and died in Lebanon
township. Mary Hall was Mrs. Owen Darby ; they went west.
Delilah was married to a Mr. Lornes and died in Great Bend.
Sarah Ann was married three times. The first husband, George
Cummings, who died. Mr. Ezekiel Custer, Sr., was the second
husband, and John Warner third.

Mr. John Hall, Sr., died in middle age, but left a will that
was the puzzle for lawyers for two generations. Mrs. Sarah
Hall died in the early seventies, living and dying on their


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13 15 16

Online LibraryStillman Carter LarkinThe pioneer history of Meigs County → online text (page 13 of 16)