Stillman Carter Larkin.

The pioneer history of Meigs County online

. (page 16 of 16)
Online LibraryStillman Carter LarkinThe pioneer history of Meigs County → online text (page 16 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ished as to floors, doors, windows and bedroom partitions, a
stone chimney, with open fireplaces to each story. Elmus
Lindley had the farm adjoining his brother Ziba's and built a
smaller house. Mr. Bicknell bought his farm later, where he
built a hewed-log house, one and a half stories high, with inner
house-joiner finishings and stone chimney. The lumber for
all of these buildings was brought from Wright's mill on Mill
creek, Virginia. There was an old cabin on the back part of
the Shipman farm that was taken for a schoolhouse, and Miss
Harriet Bartlett taught school there in the summer. Colonel
Shipman conducted religious services there, reading the Scrip-
tures and a sermon on Sundays, and on Sunday afternoons
sometimes they met to sing. There were good singers in the
Athens company, and when they met with their note books —
patent notes — to sing "Easter Anthem" and "carry all the
parts" to time as correct as a military drill, it was quite in-
spiring. But the native population did not assimilate. They
preferred the fiddle and such dances as suited their ideas of
pleasure.

The Athens people became discouraged. The elder Mrs.
Lindley died and was buried in the pioneer graveyard, and the
other families gathered up their children and household goods
and moved back to Athens, leaving N. Bicknell agent for all
of their farms to rent or sell, as he might have opportunity. In
the meanwhile he had married Julia Larkin, of Rutland, and
had no alternative but to remain and open up his own farm




SAMUEL S. PAINE




NEHEMIAH BICKNELL



Pioneer History of Meigs County 190

for cultivation, doing a vast amount of hard work. He spoke
often of his disappointment in the abandonment of the neigh-
borhood by the Lindleys and Shipmans, as he had anticipated
their good influences to bring about a better social environ-
ment.

The name of George Ackley is on the record of deeds fot
land purchased by him in 1800, in a part of Washington
county, afterwards included in Meigs county, thus giving the
name of a pioneer family. Jeremiah B. Ackley came to Letart
about 1831, a young doctor. He had spent some time at the
Ohio University at Athens, O., and had prosecuted his studies
there as a physician. He located his office at Letart, O., but
also practiced medicine in Jackson county, Va. He had an
extensive practice on both sides of the river. He married a
daughter of Mr. Wright, of Mill Creek, Va., Miss Charlotte
Wright, and made their home in Letart.

They had several children, all of whom died in childhood
except one son, George K. Ackley, who lived to follow the
profession of his father, and was especially noted as a surgeon.
He served as army surgeon in the Fourth West Virginia
Infantry in the Civil War. Mrs. Charlotte Ackley died in
1838 or 1839.

Dr. J. B. Ackley then entered the arena of politics, and rep-
resented Meigs county in the Ohio Legislature, serving one
or two terms with fidelity to his constituents and credit to
himself. He was a natural orator, and held county audiences
in rapt attention while pleading the cause of temperance dur-
ing the Washingtonian movement. His second wife was
Miss Miriam Smith, of Letart. They had one daughter, Kate,
a lovely child, who died at the age of six years. Dr. Ackley
had moved to Racine, and resumed the practice of medicine,
chiefly among the older famihes. Mrs. Miriam Ackley died in
the seventies. In a few years he married Miss Sarah Woods,
of Racine, a happy alliance. She lived to make his last years



200 Pioneer History of Meigs County

comfortable with faithful care. He passed away, leaving the
record of a useful and honorable life.

Dr. John R. Philson came from Maryland in 1839, and set-
tled in Racine, Ohio, where in 1841 he married Miss Cynthia
Redding, a daughter of Thomas Redding, who kept the pio-
neer hotel in Graham Station in 1824. Mrs. Redding married
as second husband Jacob Lalance, and their home was made
in Sutton township, below Racine, on the river.

Dr. J. R. Philson was associated with Dr. J. B. Ackley for
a while, but subsequently opened up a practice as physician
independently. He was in a scope of territory the principal
doctor, and won distinction for his skill in the treatment of
diseases. He was an army surgeon in the Fourth West Vir-
ginia, through the war, and while in the service received in-
juries that resulted in his death. Dr. Philson was elected
Senator for the Sixteenth Congressional District of Ohio, and
filled the position with fidelity to his constituents and honor
to himself. His death was lamented by the community at
large, by his many friends, and especially the poor, whom he
had treated gratuitously.

He left a widow, two sons and one daughter. The eldest
son. Professor Lewis Philson, has been devoted to educa-
tional work as teacher and superintendent.

The second son, John Rush Philson, followed his father's
profession and has a well-earned popularity as a doctor. A
son of Professor Lewis Philson is also a doctor, making three
generations in the medical fraternity.

The daughter, Margaret E. Philson, was married to Charles
McElroy soon after the Civil War. He was a soldier in
some sharp engagements, inducing a loss of vital force that
caused an early death.

The elder Mrs. Philson is living, a marvel of clear mind and
memory, and Mrs. McElroy is the faithful daughter and
Christian woman.



Pioneer History of Meigs County 201

Dr. John McClintock came to Letart, Ohio, from Philadel-
phia, and opened an office as a regular physician in 1839. He
married Nancy Kingree, daughter of Abraham Kingree, of
Letart, an old pioneer in 1841.

They had one son, George M. McClintock, who became a
prominent and successful business man, but died in his man-
hood's prime, honored and lamented.

Dr. McClintock made his permanent home on a farm at
Apple Grove, and followed his profession continuously for
more than forty years, chiefly in Letart township, a wise and
skillful doctor. Dr. McClintock was a man of culture and
refinement, quiet, yet genial in manner, a good judge of char-
acter. He died leaving a widow and son. His life com-
manded respect, and his name is an honored memory.

REV. ISAAC REYNOLDS.

Isaac Reynolds was born in the State of New York and,
with his parents, emigrated to Ohio and settled in Athens
county in early days. He was a student in the Ohio Univer-
sity for some time, and while attending school was converted
under the preaching of the Rev. John Stewart, a noted minis-
ter of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Soon after his con-
version he began to preach.

In 1817, Mr. Reynolds traveled Burlington circuit, Rev.
Jacob Young, presiding elder. There was an element of evan-
gelistic fervor in his preaching, and among the converts of his
ministry was James Gilruth, who became a Methodist
preacher of great power and influence, long an active member
of the Ohio Conference.

After traveling circuits a few years, he married Miss Maria
Williamson, of Washington county, and located. He had a
difficulty of the throat that caused him to cease itinerant work.

About 1830 he came to Letart, not certain as to precise date.
He taught school and preached occasionally. As a teacher



202 Pioneer History of Meigs CouNtV

he was popular. He moved to Lebanon township in 1833,
and taught the public school several years. After giving up
teaching he settled on his farm and opened a small store, and
succeeded in establishing a postoffice, called Great Bend, he
being appointed postmaster. Mr. Reynolds finally moved to
northern California, preaching sometimes until 1876, where
he soon "fell on sleep" his work done.

MR. LUCIUS CROSS, SR.

Lucius Cross was born December 30th, 1798, in Mansfield,
Connecticut. When he was three years old he was brought
to Marietta, Ohio, where he grew up to manhood. He mar-
ried Thirza Stanley, daughter of Timothy Stanley, a promi-
nent citizen of Washington county, in April, 1822, and came
directly to Meigs county, settling on lands back of Racine, in
Sutton township. He cleared his land for cultivation, built a
tannery on his farm, erected a saw and grist mill on Bowman's
run, built flatboats on the river beach at Graham's Station, as
it was then called, had his timber all utilized for lumber, cord-
wood or tanbark. He opened a trade in the South with boats
laden with pressed hay and farm products, and by his different
industries gave employment to many men. In 1832 he built
his large, commodious farm house. Mr. Cross was a real
temperance man, and suffered no whisky to be brought to his
premises, and his farm house has the record of being the first
building erected in Meigs county without whisky or any in-
toxicating drink. The house was noted for its beauty in
construction and situation, considered the best house in the
country as a farmer's home. He had some military knowledge
and drilled recruits for the army. He left a valuable estate, a
widow and nine sons and daughters. He was entirely blind
a few years before his death in August, 1883. The sons have
been enterprising men, and all of the family married and set-
tled in Racine and vicinity, except the younger son, Edwin







tlBilpr. •>, '^1 "j, IT,, finiHiHii"iiHiiiiiiii [- . i34U\i% -■










Pioneer History of Meigs County 203

Cross, who became a physician and followed his profession in
Chicago with notable success.

THE ALEXANDERS.

Thomas Alexander, who entered land in Letart township in
1803, died in 1808, aged 80 years. His wife, Elizabeth, died
in 1807, aged 77' years. William Alexander, son of Thomas
Alexander, lived on the farm pur,chased by his father, and
married Susan Love. They had a family of two sons and
three daughters.

Thomas Alexander married Caroline Burns, and their home
was on the Ales:ander farm, where they lived to a great age,
having had a family of eleven children, grown up and married.
Moses Alexander married Jane Smith, and died early, leaving
a wife and four children. His family lived in the Alexander
homestead.

The daughters were : Julia, who was married to David O.
Hopkins, and whose home was in Racine, Ohio, where she
died. They had several children grown to maturity, but par-
ents and children are all dead but one daughter, Mrs. Reese,
of Chicago. Mary Alexander was tHe wife of Albert Wood-
ruff, of Mill Creek. She passed away soon, leaving one daugh-
ter. Isabel Alexander was married to Daniel Bibbee, of
Letart, and died in a few years, leaving a daughter.

William Alexander, Sr., was one of the first Commissioners
in Meigs, and held that office by re-election several terms.
He was prominent in local affairs, magistrate, merchant and
farmer. He erected the first stone house in Letart, noted in
those days for elegance, the "mansion house" of Letart. He
died in 1877, and his wife Susan died in 1860.

Dr. David C. Whaley same to Meigs county with his par-
ents in 1832, and has been a resident of Meigs county ever
since. He opened the first dentist's office in Pomeroy, and
has followed his profession continuously for more than fifty



204 Pioneer History of Meigs County

years. Possessed of a fine mind and rare mechanical abilities,
he acquainted himself with every scientific method available
for the perfecting of his skill in dentistry, for besides the set-
ting of teeth. Dr. Whaley is an artist in studying facial effects,
as well as the inserting of molars. He has had also a suc-
cessful medical practice, limited in extent on account of his
proclivities for dental operations.

He married Miss Amy Smith, a daughter of Benjamin Smith,
of Middleport, Ohio, who is a direct descendant in the fourth
generation from the pioneer James Smith who came to Lead-
ing Creek in 1797. They had a family of three children, one
son and two daughters. The son, a bright young man, was
drowned just as his career was opening as a dentist. The
daughters were well educated, and each one has a vocation
The elder Miss Whaley is a talented literary woman, and the
younger sister is a popular singer in operatic circles, is mar-
ried and resides in New York City.

THE PAINE FAMILY.

Seth Paine, Sr., came with his family to Ohio from Maine in
1816, and settled in Rutland township. He had four sons,
Samuel S. Paine, Bartlett, Seth, Jr., Josiah, and several daugh-
ters. The brothers were engaged in the mercantile business
in Rutland. Mr, Samuel S. Paine held township offices, as
Justice of the Peace, Trustee, and was Postmaster in Rutland.
He was elected Recorder of Meigs county when the county
seat was removed to Pomeroy, and served in that office for
more than twenty years.

He married Miss Martha Cowdery, a daughter of the pioneer
Joel Cowdery, who settled on Shade river in 1807. They had
two children, a daughter, dying in childhood, and a son, Lewis
Paine, who was educated at Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio.
He is a lawyer, has been Probate Judge, and practices his pro-
fession in Pomeroy. Mrs. Martha Paine died in 1889, and
Mr. Samuel S. Paine died in 1892, both highly esteemed people.



Pioneer History of Meigs County 205

Mr. Bartlett Paine was married twice and had three chil-
dren, two sons and one daughter. Mr. Seth Paine, 3d, Jr., an
expert bookkeeper in Columbus, Ohio, and Dr. Bartlett L.
Paine, a noted doctor in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The second wife was Mrs. Aurelia Branch, a widow. Seth
Paine, 2d, was one of the "Buckeye Rovers," who went to
California in 1849. He was fortunate in business and returned
to Rutland a rich man. He married Miss Roxana Rathburn, a
daughter of Rev. Elisha Rathburn, a pioneer. The Paine
brothers are dead. They were good citizens, enterprising,
sterling characters.

Stillman Carter Larkin was born, March 9th, 1808, in Rut-
land, Ohio, the son of Abel Larkin and Susannah Larkin (nee
Bidges), they having moved from Rutland, Vermont, to Ohio
in 1804. His childhood, youth, manhood and old age were all
spent in Rutland, Ohio. He was a self-educated man, with a
philosophical cast of mind, with a clear apprehension of public
affairs, and a careful student of political events. A member of
the Christian church the greater part of his life, he left the
record of a faithful disciple in the performance of religious
duties, and the example of an unblemished character. When
his father died, his widowed mother chose to remain in the
homestead, and this son to take charge of the estate, and to be
her protector. This duty he fulfilled with filial tenderness and
unremitting care, thus holding the Larkin homestead in his
name for a long period of years, and, though married most
happily, they had no children. So, when years and infirmities
of age were felt, he transferred the "Larkin homestead" —
which has now possessed the name for one hundred years — to
his nephew, George B. Larkin.

Stillman C. Larkin died January 17th, 1899, aged nearly
ninety-one years. Mary Larkin, his widow, died May 30th,
1904, in her ninety-second year of age.



INDEX

TO

PIONEER HISTORY OF MEIGS COUNTY

By STILLMAN CARTER LARKIN

Page

Introduction 3-7

Declaration of Independence in 1776 9-13

The Ordinance of 1787 14-16

Ohio Company's Purchase 17

Meigs County Formed in 1819 17, 18

Census Report for Letart, Lebanon and Sutton Townships, for 1820 18-20

Township Boundaries 21, 22

Elections, for Governor 24

Road Tax 24

Rutland Township Organized in 1812 25

Brewster Higley and Family 27-29

Joel Higley and Family 29-31

Hamilton Kerr and Col. John Niswonger 32,33

The Warth Family 33, 34

Felix Benedict, Jabez Benedict 35, 36

Jeremiah Riggs and Family 37

John Miles and Family 37-39

Captain James Merrill 39

William Parker, Sr., and Family 40, 41

Aleshire Brothers 41

Thomas Shepherd 42

Caleb Gardner 43

Daniel Rathburn 44, 45

The Hunters — John and George Warth 45-49

Abel Larkin and Family 49-54

Allen Ogden and Descendants 54-56

Shubael Nobles 56, 57

William Parker, 2d, and Family , 57-59

A Gang of Indians 59, 60

Pioneer Association 60-63

Sketch of Early History, by Luther Hecox 63-66

Alexander Stedman of Athens County 66

Long Bottom, by J. H. Stewart 67, 68

Dr. Philip Lauck and Rev. Ezra Grover 68, 69

The Scotch Colony at Sterling Bottom , 69

The Pictured Rocks at Antiquity. Silas Jones 69, 70

Dr. Fuller Elliot 71, 72

James Smith, Sr 72, 73

Erastus Stow 73

Luke Brine 74

Thomas Gaston 74

Frederic Hysell 75, 76

Joshua Johnson 76

Leonard Hedrick •. . . 77

Aaron Holt 77

Weaver's Reeds 78, 79

Peter Lalance, Sr 79, 80

John V. Lasher 81

206



Index 207

Page

Stow and the Wolves 81

A Brave Boy 82

First Court of Common Pleas in Meigs County •» 83-87

Meeting of Commissioners, April 30, 1819 87-91

Tax Laws 91, 92

Mrs. Dolly Knight's Paper 92, 93

Meager Accounts of Early Settlers 93

George W. Cooper 94

Major John White 94

Samuel Ervin 95

Letter to Teacher and Scholars of Pleasant Valley 96-99

Original Forest of Rutland Township 99-101

Time of Dogwood Blossoming 101, 102

Samuel Halliday 103

The Windstorm of 1826 104

Schools and School-houses 105, 106

Joel Lowther, the Centenarian 107

The Grant and Knight Families 108-111

Pioneer Meeting at Middleport in August, 1882 Ill, 112

Col. David Barber, Ex-Treasurer of Meigs County — A Guest.... 113

The "Warth Family." Mr. Silas Jones 114

Plea for the Pioneer Graveyard 115

1883. Tombstone for Mr. George Warth, the Indian Scout, and

Mail Carrier 115

Flax 115, 116

Clocks, Cranes 117

Mills 118

Joseph D. Plummer 119

Josiah Simpson, Sr 120

Robert Simpson, Sr 121

John Newell and Descendants 122, 123

Rev. Eli Stedman and Family 123, 124

Captain Jesse Hubbell. Seneca Haight 124, 125

Stephen Titus and Mrs. Margarhetta N. Titus 125

Melzar Nye and Lewis and Ebenezer Nye 126

Cattle Diseases 127

Cicada, or Seventeen Year Locust 127

Wild Turkeys, Wild Geese, Owls and Hawks 128, 129

Bees, Ingenious Contrivances for Work 130

Salt 131-135

Joseph Vining, Elijah Jones 135, 136

vAsahel Skinner and Descendants 136, 137

Joseph Giles, John Sylvester, Lemuel Powell, Aaron Torrence. .. . 138

Whittemore Reed and Family 138, 139

Samuel Downing and Descendants 139, 140

Aaron Thompson, Pleney Wheeler 141

Alexander Von Schritz, Joseph Townsend. 142

John McClenahan 142

Stephen Smith and Family 143

Jesse Page, William Stevens, John Bing 144

Robert Bradford 144

Joshua Gardner 145, 146

Timothy Smith 147, 148

John S. Giles' Account of the Rescue of Adams Smith from Jail . . 149-153



208 Index

Page

William Church and Family 154

Randall Stivers 155

Aaron Stivers 156

Adam Harpold 157, 158

Henry Roush, 1st, and Henry Roush, 2d 159

George Washington Putnam, by Charles Matthews 160, 161

Livingston Smith 162

William Johnson 163

John Entsminger 163, 164

George Wolfe , 165

Regular Baptist Church ....'. 166

Rutland Cemetery 166

John Hayman and Descendants 167, 168

John Wagner, George Burns 169

Obadiah Walker, Sr 170

Doctor Fenn Robinson 170, 171

John Hall and Descendants 171

The Sayres. Hon. Edgar Evin 172

The "Keg Company" 173

Dr. David Gardner 173

Edward Weldon and Family 174

Meteoric Shower. Flood of 1832 of the Ohio River 175

The Cholera in Chester in 1834, by Mrs. D. Knight 176-178

Cholera in Middleport in 1849 178

Arthur Merril, Frederic Merrill 179

Samuel Pomeroy 179

Mr. V. B. Horton and Family 180

Martin Heckard — Judge 180

Jacob Rice, Ira McCumber 181

Fugitive Slave Case 181

James Petty, Lucinda Smith, nee Dunham 183

Mrs. Josiah Simpson, nee Dawson 183

The Bradbury Family, by Samuel Bradbury, Esq 183

Simeon Elliott and Family 184

Rev. Samuel Branch 184

Papers from the Levi Stedman's Documents 185-188

The Pilchard and Ellis Families 188, 189

Scholars Equipments 189

Pioneer Hotel - 190

First Newspapers Printed in Meigs County 191

"The Buckeye Rovers" 191-193

Associate Judges of Meigs County 194

Census List, in 1820, of Rutland, Salisbury and Salem Townships. 195

Cyclone in Columbia Township in 1886 196

The Young Kentuckians 197

The Athens Colony ,.>. s 198

The Ackleys '^. .\ 199

Dr. John R. Pilson, Sr. Dr. John McClintock 200, 201

Rev. Isaac Reynolds 201

Mr. LuciiMk Cross 202

The Alexlf dRs ?03

Dr. David C.MVhale^ T^e Jgaine Family 204, 205

Obituary of S. Z. LaHciiH?,. (/ 205


















0^ -^ ".,,•- y





. V s • • Neutralizing Agent: Magnesium Oxide

V , *.oj..ifv Treatment Date:



Deacidified using the Bookkeeper process.
igent: Magnesium Oxide
te:

AUG 1998




<?> t o « « ^ "<«



PRESERVATION TECHNOLOGIES, LP.
1 1 1 Thomson Park Drive
Cranberry Township. PA 16066
(724)779-2111










" ^o'^ ^^^ " - -^ ^^ \'^oTo^- ,0-' -^^ '^— -•- ^^







9* n^ ^^ '



^j ' ST. AUGUSTINE a^ "^^ ■;






A*^



''^^''^^UBRARV OF CONGRESS




005 407 599 6






1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16

Online LibraryStillman Carter LarkinThe pioneer history of Meigs County → online text (page 16 of 16)