Stillman Carter Larkin.

The pioneer history of Meigs County online

. (page 2 of 16)
Online LibraryStillman Carter LarkinThe pioneer history of Meigs County → online text (page 2 of 16)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


such state, however, might be admitted into the Union with
a less number than sixty thousand free inhabitants. By the
sixth and last article it was provided there should be neither
slavery nor involuntary servitude in the territory otherwise
than in the punishment of crime, of which the party should
have been duly convicted, and in consequence of this lastwise
and salutary provision the evil of slavery has been prevented
in all the new states formed out of this territory northwest of
the river Ohio."

Note. — Mr. Dana of Massachusetts is said to be the author of the
sixth article.

P. S. — When this ordinance was being framed in New York City,
the Constitutional Convention was preparing a Constitution for the
Nation in Philadelphia.



Pioneer History of Meigs County 17

THE OHIO LAND COMPANY'S PURCHASE.

The Ohio Land Company originated with the disbanded
officers of the Revolutionary army, while a large portion of
the stockholders were citizens at large. This company was
organized in Boston early in the year 1787. The purchase
from Congress consisted of a million and a half acres of land
by negotiations made by Rev. Manassah Cutler, in 1787. The
State of Ohio was admitted into the Union in 1802, and com-
prised that portion of the Northwest Territory on its eastern
boundary, extending from the Ohio river on the south to the
shores of Lake Erie on the north, comprising seventeen million
five hundred thousand acres of very fine land. The lands of
the Ohio Company's purchase were located in the southern
part of the state bordering on the Ohio river.

These lands were surveyed by men appointed by the Presi-
dent, George Washington, of whom were General Tupper,
General Meigs, General Israel Putnam, Colonel Ebenezer
Sproat, John Matthews, and others. These surveyors divided
the lands into townships containing six square miles, and these
townships were sub-divided into ranges, and further surveyed
into sections of 640 acres. Townships, ranges, and sections
were numbered, as were 100-acre lots, which sold to pur-
chasers. In every township, three sections are reserved for
Congress, Ministerial and school purposes. The boundaries
of these lands were permanent, thus, when any county or
township or road refers to certain points — Township 2, Range
11, Section 6 — it has reference to the surveys of the Ohio
Company's purchase.

Meigs County.

^eigs county was formed in June, 1819, and was composed

of territory set off from Gallia county, Athens county, and

Washington county, and contained the following townships :

From Gallia County. — ^Letart township, organized in 1803 ;

Salisbury township, organized in 1805 ; Rutland township.



18



Pioneer History of Meigs County



organized in 1812; Lebanon township, organized in 1813;
Salem township, organized in 1814; Sutton township, organ-
ized 1814.

From Athens County. — Orange township, set off in 1813;
Olive township, set off in 1819; Scipio township, set off in
1819; Columbia township, set off Jn 1820; Bedford, including
Chester, township, set off in 1821.

NAMES OF HEADS OF FAMILIES IN LEBANON,
LETART, AND SUTTON TOWNSHIPS, OHIO, 1820.

Lebanon Township.



Caleb Price
David Pickens
Simeon Lawrence
George Warth
George Commins
William Pickens
John Flesher
Jacob Regor
James Giles
Lucinda Flesher
John Hall
Thomas Flinn
John Smith
Charles Shipman
Abraham Knapp
Ziba Lindley, Jr.
Edward Anderson
Ziba Lindley
Stephen K. Miller
Andrew Anderson
John Sissle



Thomas Lloyd
Robert Pickens
David Dailey
Jacob Buffington
Aaron Lasley
William Smith
William Barringer
Elias Browning
Joseph Buffington
David Sleath
Edward Sims
Lawrence Jenks
John Brown
Samuel M. Jackson
Hugh Brown
Catharine Alford
Philip Lauck
William Lauck
Levi T. Gandy
John Hanshaw
Solomon Smith



Letart Township.



John H. Sayre
Samuel A. Deviney
Benjamin Warner
Isaac Taylor



Baltzer Roush
Adam Harpold
Michael Roush
Henry Roush, Jr.



Pioneer History of Meigs County



19



Molly Roller
David Wheelbarger
Elizabeth Wolf
Thomas Vail
John Linscott
Michael Darst
Peter Wolf
George Hrell
Anthony Roush
Henry Roush
Edward McDade
Ephraim Sayre
David C. Sayre
John Waggoner
Ezra Chapman
George Burns
David B. Sayre
John Sayre
Job Powell
Burton Bradford
John Hayman
James Hayman
John S. White
William Alexander
John Boudinot
Thomas Love
Moses Sayre
Lydia Slack
Reubin Smith



Levi Osborn
Moses Goodfellow
Peter R. Goodfellow
John McElroy
Samuel Clark
Niece Pickens
Milby German
Jacob Scott
John Deviney
Thomas Sayre
Elizabeth Deviney
William Smith
Calvin Martin
Jacob Crowser
Robert Sayre
Spencer Hayman
Jedediah Darby
Theopholus Ketchan
Elijah Bebee
Joseph Bebee
Abraham Kingree
William A. Boyce
Jonathan Evens
Robert Hester
Shadrack Rice
John Smith
Haviland Chase
Daniel Lovett
John Smith



Sutton Township.



John Pickens
George Ingals
Joseph Ingals
Aaron Thom.pson
Peter Wolf
William Kerr
Thomas Batey
John H. Hayman
Samuel Pickens
Jacob W^olf
Thomas Ashworth



James Ashworth
Isaac Foster
David Ashworth
Jacob Salser
Stephen Partlow
Robert Baird
Loftus Pullins
John Pullins
Michael Will
George Schibelair
John Ralph



20



Pioneer History of Meigs County



Aaron Torrence
Simeon Elliott
Randall Stivers
James Pickens
Erastus Gelson
James McCormick
Cornelius Roush
Frances Hughs
John Hussey
William Radford
Jasper Branch
Wyman Hardy
Ezra Bemass
John R. Smith
Thompson Pickens
Jacob Aumiller
David Young
Asa Johnston
Benjamin Noyes
Jonathan Seelye
Edward Ward
George Roush
Mary White
Henry Wolf
Lyman Parker
Seth Jones
Fuller Elliott
Thomas Reding
John Wolf
Peter Lallance
George Wolf
Michael Circle
Sylvanus Ripley
Andrew Donley
John Quickie
Luther Donilson
Gabriel Walling
John Rose
John Frank



Thomas Smith
David Hudson
Anson Sole
Joel Hull
Stephen Root
Samuel Grant
David Curtis
David Cooper
Peter Masten
William Kimes
Solomon Wolf
Thomas Wigger
Samuel Westfall
Sarah Gilmore
William Watkins
Jacob McBride
Philip Watkins
James Blairs
Nathaniel Prentice
Lewis Chase
Richard Haden
Royal Burch
Michael Nease
Mary Burrell
Rogger McBride
Mary Dunbar
Adam Houdeshell
James Dixon
Michael Peltz
Philemon Warner
John Warner
Robert C. Barton
Nicholas Weaver
Charlotte Scott
Fenn Robinson
FTezekiah Sims
David Stewart
Jeremiah Shumway



Township boundaries were made anew, or within the limits
of the older townships. Letart township originally extended



Pioneer History of Meigs County 21

from the mouth of Shade river to the mouth of Kerr's run and
out of its territory the townships of Lebanon and Sutton were
formed.

SaHsbury township originally embraced territory as far
north as Ross county, but such portions of the township as
were within the boundaries of Meigs county were divided into
Rutland township, Salem township, and a township remaining
Salisbury. Deeds of land are recorded according to the
nomenclature of the Ohio Company's surveys.

Ohio, having been admitted into the Union in 1802, it fol-
lowed that a constitutional convention should be called to
prepare a constitution for the new state, therefore, electors, or
delegates, were elected according to the regulations given by
the Congress of the United States, and according to the
Ordinance of 1787, for the Northwest Territory, eliminating
only one claim of that ordinance, viz: the property qualifica-
tions from the counties within its boundaries.

The Constitutional Convention was composed of thirty-five
members. Washington county was entitled to four dele-
gates, as follows: Rufus Putnam, Ephraim Cutler, Benjamin
Ives Oilman, and John Mclntyre. This convention assembled
at Chillicothe, November 1st, 1802, and adjourned November
29th, 1802. That assembly formed Gallia county by a law
that was to come in force April 30th, 1803, by a division of
Washington county, with specified boundaries, but it was
aounded on the west by Scioto county until 1816. Athens
county was formed March 1st, 1805, and was bounded on the
south by Gallia county until January 7th, 1807. The boundary
if the south of Athens county was changed to take a portion
on which Chester is located, from Gallia, and add ifto Athens
:ounty, where it remained until the formation of Meigs county,
\pril 1st, 1819.

An act of legislature authorizing associate judges to divide
he counties into townships was made May 10th, 1803. In ac-



22 Pioneer History of Meigs County

cordance therewith GalHa county was divided into three town-
ships — Gallipolis, Kerr's, and Letart.

The same act of the legislature authorized the associate
judges to appoint justices of the peace for each of the aforesaid
townships. Robert Safford and George W. Putnam were ap-
pointed for Gallipolis township. In Letart township an elec-
tion of justice of the peace was to be held in the house of
Henry Roush^-one justice of the peace for Letart township.
For Kerr's township one justice of the peace was to be elected,
and the election to be held in the house of William Robinson.
Another act of the legislature creating a board of county
commissioners came into force March 1st, 1804. The commis-
sioners aforesaid on the 11th of June, 1805, proceeded to re-
divide the county of Gallia into townships, recognizing the
boundaries of Letart, but abolishing that of Kerr's, and forming
a new township by the name of Salisbury and establishing its
boundaries as follows : Beginning on the Ohio river in the
Thirteenth range of townships at the southeast corner of 100-
acre lot No. 376 ; thence west with the south line of said lot to
the southwest corner of the same; thence north to the south-
east corner of Section No. 10, in Range No. 14, of Township
No. 5 ; thence west to the line between the Fourteenth and
Fifteenth ranges; thence north to the northwest corner of
Township No. 5, in the Fourteenth range ; thence west to the
county line ; thence north to the northwest corner of the
county; thence east until it intersects the line between Kerr's
and Letart; thence with the same to the Ohio river; thence
down to the place of beginning.

The first election for township officers for Salisbury town-
ship was held in the house of Brewster Higley, Esq., July 27th,
1805.

Trustees Elected. — Hamilton Kerr, James G. Phelps, Felix
Benedict.

Overseers of the Poor. — John Niswonger, William Parker.

Fence Viewers. — Samuel Denny, David Thomas,



^1



Pioneer History of Meigs County 23

Appraisers of Houses and Listers. — William Parker, Jr.,
Benjamin Smith.

Supervisors of Highways. — William Green, Abijah Hubbell,
John Niswonger.

Constables. — James Smith, Jared Strong.
Treasurer.— Joel Higley, Jr.
j Clerk. — Abel Larkin.

In accordance with the above order, John Niswonger and
j Horatio Strong were elected justices of the peace for Salisbury
I township, July 27th, 1805.

The names of the first settlers in territory included in Meigs
1 county and the dates of their arrival, as follows :
' James Smith, from Marietta, 1797; Levi Chapman, 1787;
Thomas L. Halsey, 1792; Hamilton Kerr, 1797; Nicholas
,, Brown, 1796; Joseph Russell, 1792; James Smith, 1797;
J William Russell, 1792; Brewster Higley, 1799; John Case, a
I surveyor, 1799; Levi Stedman, 1798; Peter Grow, 1798; Peter
j Shaw, 1792; Ezra Chapman, 1799; Shubael Burris, 1796; Wil-
liam Bradford, 1792; William Browning, 1795; Joshua Chap-
man, 1799; William Barton, 1792; George Warth, 1798; Peter
Lalance, 1798; Fuller - Elliot, agent for O. L. C. P., 1792;
Livingston Smith, 1800; Josiah Rice, 1800; Samuel Denny,
1800; Thomas Everton, 1800; Jeremiah Riggs, 1800; Leonard
Hedrick, 1800; George Ackley, 1800; Thomas Rairdon, 1800;
William Coleman, 1800; John Miles, 1801 ; Captain James Mer-
rill, 1801; Timothy Dexter, 1801; William Parker, Sr., 1802;
Thomas Shepherd, 1802; Alshire Brothers, Conrad, Michael,
and Peter, 1802; Joel Higley, 1803; Daniel Rathburn, 1803;
Jabez Benedict, 1803; William Johnson; James E. Phelps,
1803; Caleb Gardner, 1803; Thomas Alexander, 1803; Elias
Hall, 1803; William Buffington; Abel Larkin, 1804; Truman
Hecox, 1804; Alvin Ogden, 1804; Shubael Nobles, 1804;
Rev. Eli Stedman, 1804; Samuel Branch, 1804; Timothy Smith,

1805 ; Frederic Hysell, 1805 ; Bing, 1805 ; Luke Brine,

1805; Fuller Elliott, located in 1805; Jacob Wolf, 1805; Jere-



24 Pioneer History of Meigs County

miah Fogg, 1806; Aaron Holt, 1807; James and John Forrest,
1807; Thomas Gaston, 1807; Joel Cowdery, 1807; Henry
Roush, 1808; Jacob Cowdery, 1808; Squire Bullock, 1808;
Philip Buffington, 1808; Aaron Torrence, 1809; John Euts-
minger, 1787; Josiah and Joseph Vining, 1810; Alexander
Warth, 1810; John Hall, 1811 ; Richard Cook, 1811 ; Seth Jones,
1812; Adam Harpold, 1812 ; Augustine Webster, 1812; William
Skinner, 1810; Samuel Everett, son-in-law of Ham. Kerr, 1812;
John, Erastus, and Nathaniel Williams, 1812; Joseph Town-
send, 1812; Dr. Philip Lauck, 1813; Andrew Anderson, 1814;
Jedediah Darby, 1814; John Hayman, 1810; Peter Pilchard,
1810.

The electors for Governor of Ohio, 1805, in Salisbury town-
ship, were the following:

John Hilverson, James E. Phelps, John Niswonger, Elam
Higley, William Sparks, Brewster Higley, Daniel Strong,
Caleb Gardner, Cornelius Thomas, John Miles, William Green,
Nimrod Hysell, Stephen Strong, Jared Strong, William Barker,
Daniel Rathburn, Samuel Denny, Hamilton Kerr, Thomas
Shephard, Benjamin Williams, Horatio Strong, Joel Higley,
1st, James Smith, William Spencer, Joel Higley, Jr., Abel
Larkin, Samuel Ervin, Felix Benedict.

The state elections for Governors and state officers were
held on the second Tuesday in October, 1802, and until Novem-
ber, 1886, when, by a constitutional provision, the time was
altered to conform to the time of holding elections for the
Presidents of the United States.

Three road districts were made in Salisbury township in

1806 and the following supervisors elected, namely:

First District: Benjamin Smith, supervisor. He made re-
turns for work done in 1806 to the trustees in 1807.

Second District: Daniel Rathburn, supervisor. He made
returns for work done in 1806 to the trustees in 1807,

Third District: John Miles, supervisor. Returns made in

1807 for work done in 1806. The work on the highways was



Pioneer History of Meigs County 25

to pay a road tax. By a law of 1804 every male person over
18 years of age and under 50 years of age was liable yearly
and every year to do three days work on the public roads. The
trustees of Salisbury township levied a tax to be worked out
at sixty-two and one-half cents a day.

Rutland township was organized in 1812, being formed out
of territory embraced by Salisbury township, Gallia county,
and consisted of Township 6, Range 14, of the Ohio Company's
purchase. This Township 6 was divided by the original land
company into thirty-six square miles, or sections of 640 acres
each, commencing to number them at the southeast corner,
running north. Three sections were secured to Congress,
namely: Nos. 8, 11, and 26. For ministerial purposes No. 29,
and for school purposes No. 16, making in all five sections.
Nine sections near the center of the township were cut up
into fractions of 262 acres each, as follows: Nos. 9, 10, 14, 15,
20, 21, 22, 27, 28. leaving twenty-two whole sections and
twenty-two fractions for the company. The fractions in Rut-
land township are numbered so as to correspond with the
sections belonging to the company, Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12,
13, 17, 18, 19, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36. Six sections
were added after the formation of Meigs county, April 1st,
1819, and are an important addition to Rutland township.
Among the pioneers who settled on this tier of sections were
Joel Higley, Jr., James E. Phelp, Daniel Rathburn, and Benja-
min Williams, all from Granby, Connecticut, in 1803.

In looking back to the days when Salisbury township ex-
tended from Kerr's run westward to Ross county, we have
introduced a list of some supervisors of roads, and after giving
names, dates and returns, find it interesting to describe the
boundaries of one or two road districts, viz, of Daniel Rath-
burn, Second district, ordered to do work, beginning at
Widow Case's, down to the Butternut rock, when he thought
most proper, this being highway tax for the year 1806:



I



26 Pioneer History of Meigs County

Daniel Rathburn, $2,15 ; Joel Higley, $1.95 ; Brewster Higley,
$2.65; Abel Larkin, $1.15; Luke Brine, 85 cents; Joel Higley,
Jr., $1.45; James E. Phelps, $2.05; Shubael Nobles, $1.05; Es-
quire Bullock, $1.35; Eli Stedman, $1.15; Benjamin Williams,
75 cents; Elam Higley, 75 cents; Jesse Fleshman, $1.55; Jesse
Carpenter, 85 cents; Edward Faller, $1.65; Moses Russell,
$1.85; Martin Roup, $1.65; William Sparks, 95 cents; William

Campbell, 85 cents; Nicholas Sins, $1.55; Stillwell,

$1.55; Amos Carpenter, 75 cents.

Joel Higley,
James E. Phelps,

October 15th, 1806. Trustees.

John Miles, supervisor of the Third road district in Salisbury
township, highway taxes for the year 1806, the district be-
ginning at the Widow Case's, up the road to the 7-mile tree:
WilHam Spencer, 95 cents; Abijah Hubbell, $1.35; John
Miles, $1.55; Caleb Gardner, $1.65; Erastus Stow, $1.15; Wil-
liam Parker, Jr., $1.55; Thomas Shepherd, $1.35; Thomas
Everton, 85 cents; Felix Benedict, $1.15.

William Parker,
James E. Phelps,
Joel Higley, Jr.,

Trustees.

The Widow Case mentioned in the boundaries of the Second
and Third road districts lived where the late lamented Virgil
C. Smith afterwards lived. Mrs. Case was his maternal grand-
mother, who subsequently married Abijah Hubbel, Sr. She
was the widow of John Case, mentioned, also, in the account
of the settlement of Brewster Higley. Mr. Case had gone
back to Vermont, and in company with his friend and neigh-
bor, Noah Smith, started for Ohio. Mr. Case had a young
wife, and Mr. Smith had a wife and three or four daughters,
and son 3^ years old. After journeying on the road from
Philadelphia as far as Carlisle, in Cumberland county, Noah



Pioneer History of Meigs County 27

Smith suddenly died. His family went on with Mr. Case until
reachmg a little town West Liberty, the county seat of Ohio
county, West Virginia, where John Case suddenly died, and
where Mrs. Case gave birth to a daughter — her first child, who
was named Eliza. As soon as these conditions were known
by Brewster Higley he went to their relief and brought them
all to Leading creek. Mrs. Smith settled on land bought of
Samuel Denny, on the west side of the creek, and Mrs. Case
settled on the east side of the same stream, and nearly opposite
Mrs. Smith. There she brought up her daughter, Eliza, and
the Smith family were reared, so in the later years Livingston
Smith and Eliza Case were married, reared a respectable
family, and died, after living to a good old age.

The Butternut rock is on the west side of Leading creek,
half a mile above the mouth of Thomas fork. The 7-mile tree
is thought to be on the road up Leading creek on the road
traveled to Scioto salt furnaces, but the exact place is un-
known — probably about Langsville,

BREWSTER HIGLEY AND FAMILY.

The first settlement made in Rutland township was by
Brewster Higley, in April, 1799, on the farm since occupied
by his son, Milo Higley. Judge Higley was a native of Sims-
bury, Connecticut, but came from Castleton, Rutland county,
Vermont, to Bellville, West Virginia, where he remained 18
months, preparatory to his removal to Ohio. He bought a
share in the Ohio Company's purchase for one thousand dol-
lars. He then, in company with John Case, who had been one
of a party of surveyors, and was of some service to Mr. Higley
in making his selection of land, as he was to have a part of the
land, made a visit to the place of his future home. He returned
to Bellville, purchased a family boat and floated down the Ohio
river to the mouth of Leading creek, which being high with
back water, he poled his boat up the stream as far as the place



28 Pioneer History of Meigs County

known as Jacobs' upper salt works. Here he tore his boat to
pieces and built a shanty for his family to live in until he could
build a house on his land. The first shanty made for his boys
and John Case to live in while clearing the land was made of
bark and sticks and stood near the ground afterwards used as a
family graveyard.

Brewster Higley was a Revolutionary soldier and had served
as justice of the peace in the state of Vermont. General
Arthur St. Clair, Governor of the Northwest Territory, ap-
pointed Brewster Higley as one of the justices of the peace for
the county of Washington, the commission bearing date
December 28th, 1801, done at Chillicothe. This commission
and one to Fuller Elliot, of Letart, are probably the only ones
for justices appointed under the territorial government for
the people living in what is now Meigs county. Mr. Higley
was one of the first associate judges of Gallia county and
served for a number of years. He was elected justice of the
peace in Rutland township, and in 1815 was made the second
postmaster of Rutland and held the office for several years.
He died June 20th, 1847, at the ripe old age of 88 years 3
months and 6 days. His wife, Naomi Higley, died February
4th, 1850, aged 89 years, one month and 3 days.

The children of Brewster Higley and his wife, Naomi Higley,
were four sons and three daughters.

The sons were : Brewster Higley, Jr., who married Acksah
Evarts.

Cyrus Higley married Electa Bingham, daughter of Judge
Alvin Bingham, of Athens. One son, Julius Bicknell Higley.

, Lucius Higley married Nancy Shepherd. Lucius Milton
Higley married Miss Morton. Milo Higley married Miss
Pankey.

Joseph L. Higley married Emily Reed.

Harriet Higley was married to Alvin Bingham, Jr., son of
Judge Bingham, of Athens.



Pioneer History of Meigs County 29

Theresa Higley was married to Josiah Simpson.

Susan Higley, the eldest child, never married, but lived with
her parents until her decease.

In 1800 Samuel Denny came from Massachusetts and bought
a tract of land, and built a cabin on it. This was near the
Livingston Smith farm. He also helped to erect the first
school house, and taught the first school in the winter 1801,
also in 1802. The school consisted of nine scholars, four of
whom came from near the mouth of Leading creek. The roll
recorded the names of James Smith, John Smith, Sarah Kerr,
Christina Niswonger, and five scholars from Judge Higley's
family. In 1803 Samuel Denny built the first grist mill on
Leading creek, which stood close to the residence of Jabez
Hubbell. Mr. Denny delivered the first oration ever delivered
here, at a Fourth of July celebration in 1806. The speaker
stood on the top of an ancient mound not far from the Case
house. Mr. Denny left Ohio in 1810, returned to Massa-
chusetts, and married, and died there.

JOEL HIGLEY AND FAMILY.

In 1803 Joel Higley and his wife, Eunice Higley (nee
Haskins) came from Granby, Connecticut (Lieutenant Higley
he was called), and settled on the south tier of sections, in
what was afterward included in Rutland township. There
were twenty-eight persons in this company with Joel Higley.

Joel Higley, 1st, had a numerous and prolific family. The
daughter, Rachel, married Williams, and remained in Con-
necticut. She was born in 1800.

Joel Higley, Jr., (called Major Higley) settled in the same
neighborhood with his father. He was born July 31st, 1764,
and married Cynthia Phelps, May 25th, 1785. She was a
sister of James E. Phelps. Mr. Higley died April 26th, 1823,
and his wife died January 5th, 1832.

Of this union there were three sons and five daughters.
Polly Higley married Philip Jones in May, 1806. They lived



30 Pioneer History of Meigs County

on a farm where Middleport is now situated. Philip Jones
died May 30th, 1866, aged 80 years.

Elihu Higley was born November 26th, 1788. He served in
the Army of the Northwest in the War of 1812. He married
Nancy Cook in December, 1815, moved to his farm in Rutland
in December, 1816. They had one child, Clarissa Fidelia —
married Martin Fox. Mr. Higley died April 23d, 1877, aged
89 years.

Laura Higley, born August 20th, 1795. She was married
to Daniel C. Rathburn in 1812, in Rutland, O., moved to Indi-
ana, died there in August, 1884, aged 91 years.

Sally Higley, born March 8th, 1795, was married to Daniel
McNaughton, December, 1816, and died September 29th, 1845,
aged 50 years. Harlow McNaughton, a son, was captain of
the Seventh Ohio Battery in the Civil war for the Union.


2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Online LibraryStillman Carter LarkinThe pioneer history of Meigs County → online text (page 2 of 16)