Tarleton Brown.

Memoirs of Tarleton Brown : a captain of the revolutionary army online

. (page 4 of 4)
Online LibraryTarleton BrownMemoirs of Tarleton Brown : a captain of the revolutionary army → online text (page 4 of 4)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

npon the inhabitants of South Carolina during the revolution,
butchering peaceful citizens, and destroying their houses, cattle,
and provisions.

(15) Gen. Horatio Gates was born in England, in 1728. In
early life he entered the British navy. He was aid to Gen.
Monckton at the capture of Martinico, and was at the defeat


of Gen. Braddock, in 1755, where he was shot through the body.
At the commencement of the Revolution, he was appointed by
Congress Adjutant-General, with the rank of Brigadier-General.
In June, 1*776, he was appointed to the command of the army of
Canada, but was superseded by Gen. Schuyler in May, 1777. In
August following he took the place of this officer in the Northern
Department. The success which attended his arms in the capture
of Burgoyne filled America with joy. Congress passed a vote
of thanks, and ordered a gold medal to be presented to him by
the President, in honor of this event. It should be mentioned
here, however, that most of the credit of this achievement
properly belongs to Generals Arnold and Morgan, who were
the real actors in the affair, and without the aid of whose ser-
vices, a different result altogether might have been produced. In
June, 1780, Gates was transferred to the command of the South-
ern Department, and in August following, he was totally defeated
and routed by Cornwallis, with an inferior force, at Camden, S.
C. His conduct in that engagement proves him, as a military
man, to have been of but very ordinary ability. In fact, to sum
up his character, he was a vain, conceited man, puffed up with
the idea of his own consequence, flattered by attention, and per-
fectly intoxicated by success. Such was the man who attempted
to supplant the immortal Washington ! ! ! After the peace,
Gates retired to his farm in Berkeley, Ya., where he remained
until 1780, when he moved to the city of New- York, where he
died on tlie 10th day of April, 1806, aged 77.

(16) Baron de Kalb was a native of Germany, and was born
about the year 1717. He came to America with Lafayette, in
1777, and on the 15th September following, was commissioned a
Major-General by Congress. When Lincoln's overthrow at
Charleston opened the South to the British, he was sent with


2,000 Continentals to operate against them, and had he been left
alone, would have given a good account of himself, as he was a
brave, experienced, and able ofi&cer. But Congress appointed
Gen. Gates, a vain and fool-hardy man, to the command of the
South, and thereby changed the whole aspect of affairs, and in
the battle of Camden the American army was totally defeated,
by an inferior force under Cornwallis. The militia gave way at
once, and fled in the utmost confusion. Gates following after them
with full speed, leaving poor De Kalb with his Continentals to
fight the battle as best they could. The Continentals were cut
to pieces in endeavoring to save the main army, and the noble
De Kalb fell, pierced with eleven wounds, and died August 16th,

It is singular that Congress, so discreet in awarding medals
to the heroes of Saratoga, did not present a similar gift to Gates
for the part he took at Camden. The celerity of his flight to
Charlotte on that occasion has never been equalled in ancient or
modern times, not even by John Gilpin himself. It w^as a com-
mon report that day, that he killed three horses in his eighty mile

(17) Francis Marion was born at Winyaw, near Georgetown
S. C, in the year 1732. In 1759 he served as a soldier against
the Cherochee Indians. At the commencement of the revolution
he was appointed captain in the regiment of Col. Moultrie. He
soon after received a Major's commission, and assisted at the
defence of Sullivan's Island in 1776. Being promoted to a
lieutenant-colonelcy, he was intrusted with a small corps em-
ployed in harassing the British and Tories, and gained a number
of important advantages, which procured him, in 1780, the com-
mission of Brigadier-General. He continually surprised and
captured parties of the British and their friends by the secrecy


and rapidity of bis movements. In 1780 his troops, whicli had
amounted to only a few hundred, and often to only a few dozen
were reinforced by the legion of Gen. Lee, and he soon after
captured a number of forts, and forced the British to retire to -
Charleston. He joined the main army under Gen. Green a short
time before the battle of Eutaw Springs, and received the thanks
of Congress for his intrepid conduct in that action. After the
British evacuated Charleston, he retired to his plantation, and
soon after married Mary Yideau, a lady of wealth. He repre-
sented his parish of St, John's in the Senate of the State, and
in May, 1790, was a member of the convention for forming the
State Constitution. He was one of the ablest partisan officers of
the Kevolution, and one of the most successful. He seldom failed
of capturing his enemy, and almost always did it by surprise.
His courage was the boldest, his movements the most rapid, his
discipline severe, and his humanity most exemplary. He died on
the 27th day of February, 1795, ao;ed 63 years.

(18) Col. Peter Horry was a descendant of one of the
many Protestant families who moved to Carolina from France,
after the revocation of the Edict of Nantz. He early took up
arras in defence of his country, and through all the trials of peril
and privation experienced by Marion's brigade, gave ample proof
of his strict integrity and undaunted courage. The fame which
he acquired, as one of the band of heroes who defended the post
at Sullivan's Island, was never tarnished. No man more eagerly
sought the foe, none braved danger with greater intrepidity. He
was a brother of Col. Hugh Horry, who was also a very able

(19) Monk's Corner was, before the Revolution, a place of
some commercial importance. There were three or lour well


kept taverns and five or six excellent stores there. These last
were generally branches of larger establishments in Charleston,
and as they sold goods at Charleston prices, they commanded a
fair business. The usual practice of the Santee planter was to
take his crop to Monk's Corner, sell it there, receiving cash or
goods in exchange, dine, and return home in the afternoon. A
party of American cavalry were stationed near this place during
the Revolution. On the night of 14th August, 1*780, they were
surprised by a party of British under command of Col. Tarleton,
and completely routed and dispersed. On another occasion, the
Americans surprised a party of British here.

(20) Major Sxipes was a Carolinian, of remarkable strength
and courage, and a vindictive hater of the Tories. He had
suffered some injuries at their hands, which he never forgave.
His sanguinary temper led him to treat them with such fero-
city that he was more than once subject to the harshest re-
buke of his commander. On one occasion he had leave of ab-
sence for awhile, and repaired to his plantation. The Tories fell
upon his trail, and followed him. Unconscious of pursuit, and
lulled into security by the apparent silence of the neighborhood,
he retired to rest, and fatigued with the labors of the day soon
fell into a profound sleep. At midnight he was aroused by the
cries of his faithful negro, Cudjo, and apprised of the approach
of the Tories, who were already on the plantation. Snipes at
once started up, and proposed to shelter himself in the barn, but
he was told that it was in flames. He then rusued forth, covered
only by his night-shirt, and flew, by the advice of his negro, to a
thick copse of briars and brambles, within fifty yards of his
dwelling, and hid himself. Though his shirt was torn from his
back by the briars, and his flesh lacerated by them, yet once
there, he lay eflfectually concealed. The Tories, in the meantime,


surrounded the house. Fearing the arm of Snipes, and knowing
his courage, they dared not enter the dwelling, but set it on fire,
and with pointed muskets waited for him to emerge. The house
was consumed, and tlie intense heat of the flames drew blisters
upon the body of poor Snipes, who nevertheless bore it all with
the most manly fortitude. Finding themselves foiled in their
object, the Tories then seized the negro, and threatened him with
instant death unless he revealed the hiding place of his master.
But the courage and fidelity of the negro was superior to the
terror of death. Though a rope was placed around his neck,
and he was thrice run up the tree to which it was fixed, and
choked nearly to strangulation, yet he still refused to disclose
the secret. His capacity to endure proved superior to the will
of the Tor'es to inflict, and he w^as at length cut down, and left
on the ground half dead. While this was going on. Snipes was
but a few steps from them, and heard their threats, beheld all
their proceedings, and witnessed the bravery and fidelity of his
slave. Snipes and Cudjo had been brought up together from
childhood, had played, fished, and hunted together, and were
mutually attached to each other, and the noble-hearted slave
truly bore for his master " that love which is stronger than death."

(21) CoL. Lechmere commanded Fort Balcour. He was at
one time taken prisoner. He was the brother-in-law of Colonel

(22) Col. Andrew Deveaux was descended from a Huguenot
family, which settled in Beaufort District, after the repeal of the
Edict of Nantz. He was remarkable from childhood for mis-
chief, bravery and adventure. He took sides with the British,
and being a man of considerable military genius, was of the
utmost value to them. After the war, he married Miss Ver-


planck, of New- York, and lived at an elegant country-seat on the
Hudson Eiver. He had two daughters, one of whom married
Col. Hare Powell, of Philadelphia. He was fond of gaiety and
display. He drove his own carriage with four elegant horses
about the streets of New-York, wearing an ostrich feather in
his hat, at a time when such decorations were unknown, even
among the gay of that city. Through his extravagance, he con-
sequently outlived his fortune, and became embarrassed before
his death.

(23) Silver Bluff. — A British post was established here in
the Eevolution, called Fort Dreadnaught. On the 21st day of
May, 1781, it was surrendered to a detachment of Lee's Legion,
commanded by Capt. Eudolph. One field piece and a consider-
able supply of stores were captured, besides some prisoners.

(24) Beech Island derives its name from the number of beech
trees which grow upon it.



'U . y. .

^/ ..\

v^^L^:' .*


f;^7 1




^# <f^


'^ -



1 2 4

Online LibraryTarleton BrownMemoirs of Tarleton Brown : a captain of the revolutionary army → online text (page 4 of 4)