Thomas A. Smith.

Twelfth Annual Report of the Bureau of Statistics and Information of Maryland. 1903. Thomas A. Smith, Chief. (Volume 1904) online

. (page 21 of 30)
Online LibraryThomas A. SmithTwelfth Annual Report of the Bureau of Statistics and Information of Maryland. 1903. Thomas A. Smith, Chief. (Volume 1904) → online text (page 21 of 30)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

East and West, being traversed by the main line of the Baltimore and
Ohio Railroad from east to west. The West Virginia Central and
Pennsylvania Railroad follows the Potomac River along the south-
eastern boundary of the county. The Confluence and Oakland Railroad
runs from Confluence, Pa., to Krug, and Jennings' Brothers Railroad
from the Baltimore and Ohio, at West Salisbury, up to Castleman
Valley to a point near Bittinger.

The old National Turnpike traverses the northern part of the
county from east to west, while wagon foads throughout compare favor-
ably with any other section of the State with a like mountainous nature.


Being a new county, the question as to what the county mostly
needs is hard to answ^er. Unquestionably, farmers would add greatly
to its prosperity. It is an agricultural county and its future lies largely
in that direction. While the deposits of mineral are large, they are not
as compact and clean as in other places, while farming can be carried
on even in the mining regions, and much land there is naturally drained
and of a smooth surface. On account of the vast amount of humus
in the soil in the "Glades" the land is of great value for producing such
crops as require a moist and cool climate. There is great opportunity
for truck farming in Garrett County, as well as the raising of stock.
Dairying could be profitably engaged in. Land is plentiful and can be


bought cheap, say from $5 to $40 per acre, and as the county offers
considerable advantages for the raising of fruits, berries and vegetables,
these industries could be profitably engaged in. Oakland, being but
II hours from New York, and less to Baltimore and Washington, the
mountain fruits and vegetables of a vigorous character, by reason of
the pure air of the mountain tops, could be easily transported at
profitable prices to these markets.


The manufacturing and mining industries comprise the principal
industries of the county, and the following list may be of value for
reference, though meagre in the figures furnished as to the amount of
products :

Lumber and Timber Products — Yough Manor Lumber Company,
North West Corners ; Jennings Brothers, Jennings ; Wilson Lumber
Companj^, Wilson; Preston Lumber and Coal Company, Crellin;
Meadow Mountain Lumber Company, Friendsville — Number of em-
ployees, 915; A^alue of total product, $608,000; capital invested, $926,000;
amount paid annually in wages, $399,200.

Tanneries — Numberof employees, 40; value of total product, |26o,4oo;
capital invested, $150,000; amount paid annually in wages, $21,800.

Cheese, Butter, etc. — Accident Creamery Company, Accident.

Carriages and Wagons — A. D. Naylor, Oakland.

Flouring and Grist Mill Products — Henry A. Kaese, Accident;
Noah S. Garlitz, Avilton; Stark & Ouster, Bittinger; Engle Mills,
Cove; Yough Roller Mills, Friendsville; Eli Stanton, Grantsville; Geo.
M. Mason, Rasche Roller Mills, Oakland; May &. Leighton, Swanton.

Liquors, Distilled — M. J. Miller's Sons, Accident.

Lumber and Timber Products — Frederick Hoffman, Accident; Lan-
caster Manufacturing Company, Zachariah McKinzie, Avilton; Louis
Littman, Peter J. Lohr, Murray, Rauch & Condron, Beckman; Durst
& Youmer, Bevansville; Silas C. Beachy, C. J. Breneman, Bittinger;
C. Holliday & Company, Cove; Jos. P. Moores, Cove Point; Solomon
Hoge, Deer Park; Isaac Savage, Fearer; Crowe Brothers' Lumber
Company, Finzel ; Andrew Rhodes, Floyd; Bear Creek Lumber Company,
Friendsville ; P. C. Boucher, Herchberger Lumber Company, Grants-
ville ; Frank J. Folk, Keyser; Yough Manor Lumber Company, Krug;
Carney & Pendergast, Hutton; McAndrews & Simpson, Christian Otto,
Bittinger & Wiley, New Germany; John R. Bowman, Brewmaker Com-
pany, Margaret Kerns, D. E. Offutt, Jas. E. Skipper, Oakland;
Chas. C. Wilhelm, Sang Run ; Ed. J. Frantz, Selbyport ; M. D. O'Haver
& Sons, Oss Brothers, West & Mosser, Swanton; North American
Lumber Company, Bond.


Lumber and Planing Mill Products— F. G Fox, Friendsville;
Kinsinger, Grantsville; Clarence W. Rathbun & vSons, Mountain Lake
Park; Oakland Manufacturing Company, Oakland.

Photography — Hoffman, FViendsville; G. H. Prilcliard, Oakland.

Printing and Publishing — Garrett Journal, Mountain Democrat,
Republican, Oakland.

Saddlery and Harness — Henry Schubel, Friendsville; Jas. W.
Leathers, Oakland.

Tinsmithing, Coppersmithing and Sheet Iron Working — A. D. Naylor
& Coinpany, G. A. Shirer, Oakland.

Toys and Games — Hartzell, Cressler & Company, Friendsville.

Tanning — Commonwealth Tanning Company, Hutton.


Harford County was originally a portion of Baltimore County, where
the old county seat at Joppa was located. This was intended to be a
large city, but in 1768 Baltimore was selected and the old place was
abandoned. This caused great inconvenience to the people of this
section of Maryland, as it required a two days' journey to go and
return to have any legal matter adjusted, so in 1773 a petition was
presented to the Legislature, which resulted in the passage of a law
for a new county, to be known by the name of Harford, so called
after Henry Harford, who was then proprietary of Maryland. He was
the natural son of Frederick, the sixth Lord Baltimore.

The original county seat of Harford was what is now known as
Bush, it was called Harford Town in those days, and being located on
the Philadelphia and Baltimore Turnpike, was a well known place
-during the Revolutionary War, and even up to the time when the
railroad supplanted the ancient highway. Many persons claim that it
was here the first Declaration of Independence was signed, even
antedating the famous Mecklenburg resolutions. As the county became
more populous the inconvenience of the location of the county seat
became more apparent, and efforts were made to have the legal
machinery located in a more central position. The dispute was settled
by a vote, and Belair, the present country seat, was chosen.

Harford is one of the northernmost counties of the State, being
bounded on the north by the State of Pennsylvania, on the east by the
Susquehanna River, and on the west by Baltimore County. The
lower part of the county is level, and is bounded on the south by the
Chesapeake Bay. This part is also traversed by Bush River (named
Willoughby, by Captain John Smith, who explored it during his first
trip to America). It is also bounded on the Western side by Gunpowder
River. The upper portion of the county is rolling, and near the Penn-
sylvania line is rocky.


The Rocks, situated on Deer Creek, is a large, mountainous forma-
tion, several hundred feet high. Here the Susquehanna, a powerful
Indian Tribe, held their councils of war, and the ancient seats of the
king and queen, hewn out of solid rock, are still to be seen.

The population of Harford County is reported to be about 29,000,
and the county tax rate for 1903 is 95 cents.


The people of Harford County have long been noted for their thrift
and prudence, and it is regarded as one of the foremost agricultural
regions in the State.

The number of farms in the county in 1900 was 2,431, with an
acreage of 248,925.

The principal products of the county are corn, wheat, hay, oats,
rye and tomatoes, the total value of which, canned and sold in the raw
state, for the year 1903, will approximate $3,500,000.

In the past thirty years canning has been engaged in more and
more, until now it forms one of the chief industries of the county.
The value of the finished product in this industry alone approximates
from 111,500,000 to $2,000,000, according to the conditions of the market.
The number of canning establishments in this county is largely in
excess of those of any other county in the State.

The county is also rich in other agricultural products, and a large
number of beef cattle are raised for the market. This is of a high
grade in quality, and finds a ready sale for export purposes.

Tobacco raising was followed some years back to a limited degree,
but has been abandoned for the more profitable crop of potatoes.

Considerable slate and serpentine rock are found near the Pennsyl-
vania line, and the demand for the slate is always greater than the
supply, though the serpentine rock has not been heretofore marketed
at a profit.

Deposits of chrome have also been found in the upper parts of the
county, but the demand for the same having fallen off, the quarries
are not now worked.

Throughout different parts of the county thei'e is an excellent grade
of building stone.


In the history of Harford County the famous Susquehanna flats
should not be forgotten. Here congregate annually millionaires from
all parts of the country in quest of the famous canvasback ducks
The hunting of this wild fowl gives subsistence to a number of people
and is supposed in one way and another, together with the fishing
industries in the spring at Havre de Grace and Lapidum, to yield
$150,000 annually.



The incorporated towns of the county are Belair and Aberdeen.
Havre de Grace is a city situated at the mouth of the Susquehanna
River. It failed from being the capital of the United States by the
lack of ten votes in Congress, which chose Washington in its stead.
Other towns in the county not incorporated are Abingdon, Church-
ville, Harford Furnace, Ferryman, Forest Hill, Fallston, Darlington,


The Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad, the Baltimore
and Ohio, and the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroads traverse the
county and make excellent facilities in reaching the market with the
products of the farm and the factory.


At the present time Harford County is particularly prominent because
of the foremost part that her citizens have taken in the movement
for good roads, which are so much needed, not only here, but in all
portions of the State of Maryland.

Through the munificence of the late William Woolsey, the County
Commissioners have constructed a modern highway from Belair to
Churchville, a distance of five and one-half miles. It is equal to any
boulevard of any of the larger cities, and is now being greatly patronized
by modern travelers who use automobiles as a means of transit.


The manufactures of Harford County number upwards of 300, in
which are invested over $2,300,000. It is impossible to give accurate
details as to these industries, but the following list of canners and
other manufactures will prove of value of reference, and will indicate
the variety of industries growing in the county.

Bread and Other Bakery Products — Frederick W. Kiefber, Fred-
erick Rauscherk, Havre de Grace.

Brick and Tile— Whiteford & Silver, Whiteford.

Carriages and Wagons — Burns Brothers' Carriage Factory, Havre
de Grace ; Enterprise Carriage Company, Wiley J. Waters, Belair ;
Oliver R. Thomas, Berkley; A. D. Grafton, Forest Hill; E. L. Grier,
Mclntyre ; August Bechtold, Harry F. Carroll, Frederick W. Hoppe,
Havre de Grace.

Boots and Shoes, Factory Products — Havre de Grace Shoe ^Manufac-
turing Company, Havre de Grace.


Cheese, Butter and Condensed Milk, Factory Products— Thos. Hoopes
& Price, Churchville ; Daniel P. Hollingsworth, Fallston ; H. E. Harkins,
Forest Hill; Jarrettsville Creamery Company, Jarrettsville ; Jos. T.
Hoopes, Street ; Geo. H. Ehlen, Shawsville ; Charles C. Schuster, Taylor.

Cotton Goods — Gambrill & Melville Cotton Mills, Havre de Grace.

Flouring and Grist Mill Products — Swansbury Flour Mill, Aberdeen;
Halls Mills, Abingdon; G. B. Moores, Henry Reckord Manufacturing
Company, Belair; W. T. McNut, Berkley; James Webster, Calvary;
Walter Proctor, Cardiff; Isaac Amoss, Carea; Wm. S. Noble, David
E. Wilson, Darlington; Deep Run Grist Mill, Dublin; Meadow Valley
Grist Mill, Dublin; Edgev^^ater Roller Mills, Havre de Grace; W. A.
Wilson, Jerusalem; John M. Maklem, Lapidum; John R. Baldwin,
Level; Broad Creek Roller Mills, John Roberts, Macton; Ivory Mills,
Norrisville; Union Mills, Pleasantville ; Falling' Branch Mills, Pyles-
ville Milling Company, Pylesville ; Eden. Mills, Rocks; Chrome Valley
Mills, Sharon.

Flouring and Grist Mill Products — P. D. Clark, Singer; Eli Houck,

Canneries— H. L. Arthur, C. W. Baker, James B. Baker, W. B.
Baker, Baker & Morgan, I. W. Bayless, E. W. Bonnett, E. E. Carsins,
George W. Evans, Ivins & Carr, Thomas Jamison, O. C. Jewens,
E. F. Kirwan & Company, Conrad Krouse, John M. Michael, F. O.
Mitchell, Jr., F. O. Mitchell, Sr., Morgan Mitchell, J. S. Mitchell &
Brother, R. F. & G. H. Mitchell, Charles B. Osborn, W. D. Osborn,
Henry Z. Silver; Strasbaugh, Steckel & Hewitt, A. Thompson, F. Wells,
John Finney Wells, J. A. Wells, Aberdeen; P. D. Clark, Edward H.
Hall, Geo. A. Kimble & Brother, C. K. Sewell & Brother, Abingdon;
A. J. Famous, J. W. Famous, G. W. Walker, Aldino; Alphonso Bagley
Robinson, Ady; J. F. Deckman, C. C. Rouse, C. A. Dietrich, C. A.
Andrew, Belair; G. A. Mitchell, T. P. Mitchell, J. S. Mitchell, Boothby
Hill ; E. M. Kehoe, J. M. Lynch, Bynum ; W. L. Derrickson, George
D. Gorrell, W. S. Hamby, Peter Student, Calvary; I. W. Botts, E. E.
Carsins, R. C. Greenland, A. Smith & Company, Carsins ; P. F. Cole,
W. H. Mahan, Churchville; D. T. Archer, L. M. Archer, George
W. McComas, Clayton; T. Kirby & Sons, T. & F. Mitchell, Cole;
C. A. Andrew, Conowingo; G. F. Burkley, D. T. Callahan, B. T.
Hanway, John McKee, F. W. Smith, J. F. Webster, Creswell ; John
Andrew, C. R. Jourdan, D. E. Price, Darlington; G. E. Silver, Deer
Creek; T. J. McCausland, Dublin; William J. Forsythe, Poole; T.
Gunther, Edgewood; John T. James, Poole; A. Cooley & Brothers, U.
S. Evans, J. G. Evans, J. M. Macklem, T. Miller, E. Thompson, Earlton ;
Bevard Wakeman & Sons, David Callahan, George B. James, J. W.
Spencer, Emmorton ; W. H. Anderson, August Martin, Fallston ; Lemuel
Beall, Federal Hill ; Johnson Brothers, G. H. Johnson, W. F. Scar-


borough, Forest Hill; W. 1). ifarward, Mrs. C. A. Wilkinson, T. M.
Wilkinson, C. M. Wilkinson & Company, Fountain Green; C. W.
Ilarward, Fulford; E. L. Wilkinson, Garland; G. A. Wilkinson, Gar-
land; H. L. Cullum, J. J. Cullum, J, Dalton & Sons, J. Eisner & Son,
T. Gordon, D. J. Lynch, Christian Smith, J. O. Sullivan, Harford
Furnace; American Can Company, A. F. Brown, Coulehan & Hogan,
H. A. Osborn, S. J. Seneca, Wm. Z. Silver & Sons, G. A. Baker, J.
H. Ward, Havre de Grace; J. B. Hanway, J. Leight & Sons, Joppa;
Barney Wheeler, Kalmia; A. F. Anderson, H. N. Baldwin, W. S.
Bowman, Jr., J. R. Walker, Level ; J. W. Brown, Hanson & Lantz,
Magnolia; L W. Botts, L Cole, Michaelsville; J. W. Bay & Company,
M. F. Bayless, J. F. Botts, E. V. Stockham, J. F. Towner, Ferryman;
Michael Fisher, Sewell ; C. C. Slee, Stepney; W. E. Robinson, Vale;
Finney & Robinson, Belair; J. T. Norris, Van Bibber, A. F.
Anderson, Webster; T. D. Miller, Webster; J. S. Whiteford, White-
ford; George Archer, Wilna; Joseph W. Archer, Benson.

Gents' Furnishing Goods — Wm. H. Towles, Manufacturing Company,
■Havre de Grace.

Housefurjiishing Goods — C. J. Parker & Son, Havre de Grace.

Kaolin and Other Earth Grinding — Hannah P. Husband, Deer
Creek; S. H. & H. C. Whiteford, Flirtville; Trenton Flint and Spar
Company, Whiteford.

Lumber and Timber Products — Delmar Lumber Company, Havre
de Grace; Billingsley & Brother, Merrick & Pennington, Samuel G.
Peters & Son, Aberdeen; Lee & Finney Company, Churchville; David
Clement, Dublin; E. M. Clement, Lee Cullum, John W. & Juno H.
Mitchell, Level; James M. Baird, John T. Dalton, Geo. Fouble, Upper
Cross Roads.

Lumber and Planing Mill Products — John E. DuBois, Havre de

Monuments and Tombstones — Wm. N. Foster, Havre de Grace;
John G. Hawkins, Jesse C. Taylor, Jarrettsville.

Patent Medicines and Compounds — George Bunce, Havre de Grace.

Printing and Publishing — Aberdeen Enterprise, Aberdeen ; Aegis
and Intelligencer; Harford Democrat, Belair; Democrat Ledger, Havre
de Grace Republican, Havre de Grace.

Roofing and Roofing Materials — Proctor Slate Company, Cardiff;
La Berta Everist, John T. Murphy, Havre de Grace; Excelsior Slate
Company, Peerless Slate Company, Pylesville; Peach Bottom Slate
Company, Delta.

Saddlery and Harness — Wm. A. Harkins, Aberdeen; John R. Farley,
Belair; Wm. Chandlee & Son, Darlington; EUwood Anderson, Falls-
ton ; J. W. Bauer, Havre de Grace ; Rubin P. Rogers, Level ; John
Bauer, Belair.


Ship and Boat Building, Wood — James T. Holly, George H. Howlett,
Havre de Grace.

Shirts — George W. Gladden, Cardiff.

Textile Products — Textile Works, Havre de Grace.

Tinsmithing, Coppersmithing and Sheet Iron Working — John G.
Dollman, Darlington; Reynolds Brothers' Can Company, S. J. Seneca,
Havre de Grace.

Vinegar and Cider — D. D. Rogers, Level; Chas. E. Nelson & Son,


Howard County ranks among the first in Maryland from a histori-
cal standpoint, her sons having become famous at home and abroad
and her agricultural and mineral industries combine to make good the
claim of yie natives of this county to a position second to none in
the sisterhood of counties. Her history dates from 1692. Early in that
year Sir Lionel Capley, the first Royal Governor of the province, laid
out three parishes, one of which. Queen Caroline, enter%d a part of
what now is Howard County, then a section of Anne Arundel County.
In 1729, when Baltimore was laid out, Elkridge, Howard County, was
a seaport of no mean consideration. Up to the Revolution tobacco was
the principal, almost the exclusive, product of agriculture. The coming
of the Ellicotts, however, changed that. These brothers, who played
such an important part in settling and improving Howard County,
came from Pennsylvania in 1734. They stopped at Elkridge Landing.
By 1774 they had spacious buildings built and were ready to grind
wheat. The planters were, however, reluctant to raise anything except
tobacco. They looked upon the enterprising Ellicotts as visionary men,
and refused to raise wheat for their mill. Nothing daunted, these
untiring men built roads at their own expense for the transportation
of grain to their mill, and then began a gradual change. Tobacco
was given up and wheat grown. This may be considered to have
produced important changes in the county, and since that time Howard
County has been a wheat-raising instead of a tobacco-raising county.

Up to 1840 all legal business of the county had to be transacted at
Annapolis, Howard being a part of Anne Arundel. Dr. William
W. Watkins introduced a bill in the session of the Legislature of
1839 for the creation of the Howard District of Anne Arundel County,
with judicial powers, county commissioners, sheriff, and other regular
officers, though without representation as a county. The convention
of 1851 made this district a distinct county, naming it Howard county,
after Col. John Eager Howard, whom the Revolution, and especially
the battle of the Cowpens, have made everlastingly famous.

From that time until 1868 Howard County history is one of uninter-
rupted and continuous progress and prosperity.


The county is triangular in shape, being the heart of the western
sliorc of the State, l)etween Baltimore, Carroll, Frederick, Mont-
gomery, Prince George's and Anne Arundel Counties. The Patapsco
river forms its northern border, and it is partly traversed by two small
branches of the Patuxent river, which, in 1851, flooded the county and
caused great loss. Another branch of the same river separates the
county from Montgomery. The area of Howard County is about 250
square miles, and its topography is hilly and broken, with forests and
fertile hillsides. The land of the county is especially adapted to raising
wheat, corn and hay.

The population of the county was 16,715 in 1900. There are 1,214
farms in the county, embracing 147,000 acres in round numbers. Very
little tobacco is now raised in Howard, the principal products being
as heretofore stated, wheat, corn, hay and dairy products.

The county tax rate for 1903 is 75 cents.


As far back as 1800 iron ore deposits were profitably worked in
Howard, leading to the building of the Avalon Iron Works, and it is
still profitably mined.

But it is in granite, marble, and building stones and feldspar that
Howard is especially rich. The granite deposits are of importance
and deserve special mention. Immense quantities of this stone are being
quarried annually from Ellicott City, Guilford and other localities.
The stone varies in texture; that quarried at Ellicott City and Guilford
being suited for building purposes, while the quarries of Atholton
produce a fine, white stone suited for monumental uses. Several well-
known buildings in and out of this State are constructed of Howard
County granite. The Cathedral in Baltimore, the new Custom House,
and in parts of the Baltimore Court House this stone is used. The steps
of the Capitol in Washington were cut from Atholton granite. This
stone has competed successfully in our national expositions and won
enviable distinctions. Geologists say a large proportion of parts of this
county is a solid mass of granite, showing that the valuable deposits
are practically inexhaustible.

A new industry, and one of growing value and importance, is the
development of the deposits of feldspar. Five quarries are now in
operation between Ellicott City and Alberton, and large quantities
of this stone are being turned out with considerable profit to the pro-
moters. New companies are being capitalized, and it is possible that
this industry will rival in importance the granite works. Thousands
of dollars are being invested, and the work of increasing facilities for
working up this valuable mineral is being pushed forward rapidly.



The value and number of manufactures of various kinds in Howard
are considerable, when these quarries, etc., are considered. An esti-
mate of these, made by a careful citizen of Howard, is as follows:

Cotton Goods — Capitalization, $350,000 ; employees, 700 ; amount
annually paid in wages, $160,000.

Granite Quarries — Capitalization, $200,000; employees, 500; annual
wage payment, $200,000, the men earning $2.50 per day.

Feldspar Works — Capitalization, $100,000; employees, 500; annual
wages paid, $50,000.

While the above are the largest industries of the county other than
farming, there are a number of flour and grain mills scattered through-
out the county, the mill of the C. A. Gambrill Manufacturing Company,
at Ellicott City and Orange Grove, being considered the most important,
though they are really geographically not situated in Howard, though
of Howard County origin, and supplied largely with wheat from this

The business and manufacturing industries of the county are mainly
as follows :

Brick and Tile— Charles T. Neepier, Ellicott City.

Cheese, Butter, etc. — Peddicord & Townsend, Gary; Day & Sharp,
Glenelg; J. N. Purvis, Highland.

Cooperage — Frank C. Higginbotham, Ellicott City.

Cotton Goods — Gary Manufacturing Company, Alberton ; Savage
Manufacturing Company, Savage.

Electrical Apparatus and Supplies — Viaduct Manufacturing Company,

Brooms and Brushes— Joseph Flynn, Marriottsville.

Canned Fruits and Vegetables — John N. Gurney, John H. Herbert,
Victor Iglehart, Ellicott City.

Flouring and Grist Mill Products^Valley Mills, Daisey; Samuel
F. Burgess, Ellicott City; Vine Rock Mill, Florence; Samuel K.Johnson,
Highland; Joseph J. Brunsman, C. A. Gambrill & Company, Ilchester;
Pleasant Valley Mills, Lisbon; Hobbs Mill, Rover; Stephen A. Brad-
enburg, Roxbury Mills ; Charles R. Simpson, Simpsonville ; Hayfield
Mill, West Friendship.

Lumber and Timber Products — Thomas D. Bazzell, Gooksville ;
John L. Carroll, Hamilton Oldfield, Wernor Brothers, Ellicott City;
Howard C. Selby, Lisbon ; Elizabeth Fleming, Mayfield.

Patent Medicines and Compounds — P. S. Powell & Company, Annap-
olis Junction.


Online LibraryThomas A. SmithTwelfth Annual Report of the Bureau of Statistics and Information of Maryland. 1903. Thomas A. Smith, Chief. (Volume 1904) → online text (page 21 of 30)