Timothy Flint.

A condensed geography and history of the western states, or the Mississippi valley online

. (page 72 of 85)
Online LibraryTimothy FlintA condensed geography and history of the western states, or the Mississippi valley → online text (page 72 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


abruptly on the south-west side q( the town, is a most doi-
Jightfol view of the town and circumjacent country, inter-
spersed alternately with woods and verdant lawns, through
which the Scioto pursues his winding course to the Ohia
This town is in the cmtre of the beautiful and fertile Sdo^
to country* The situation is favorable, and every way do-
l^tfid ; but yet it does not flourish,, like otfaw towns, appa-



Digitized by



Google



i3i

ren^ less fitTdraMf AiMaMii. fo tf^ «iidsi ^ (Ms «oM^
Ibrmeriy stood eneof ihe mosl iii tt ii mrtiii g moands «ff ito
ifae cone shaped form. In lev^ffing itfor the pUfffsm ^
tHiilding upon k, great qaantities ot liafliaii bmies were
found in it ChiUicotiie is forty^ve aules sooth €lf Go-
himbus; seventy^fiv^ north-east from Mays^He^ in Keiv-
tucky; and ninety-three north-east from CSneiiiBati.— >-
N. latitude 89« 30' W. longitude Bf" 53^

Marietm is the seat of jtfsiioe for WashingtiMi coonty.
It is bieaotiftilly sitoated, a litde afeoi^ rive niooth ef lA»
kkigum river. It contains two ohilrcliM, an academy, Ae
public county bnildings, two prinih^ ofltees, a b^k^ twenty
iBtores, abont 1€0 houses, and the whole towntitiip exeeeds
9,00e inhabitants. The people are no«ed for their Mi»
' try and sobriety; and ft^ the (K^iteness and urbanity tf
their manners.

Bhips were formerly built here; but from some causey
the business has been discontinued. The soil is exceed-
ingly fernle around the town; and it has many advanta-
ges of position. But it has not flourished, tike soine odie^
towns. One cause of this may be, that it has experienced^
more dian once, inundations of the river, in some of which
the water has risen in the principal streets eight or ten feet
Great numbers of buildings, bams and cattle, were swepi
away. It has abo experienced sev^fe sickness. But all
these disadvantages notwithstanding, its ratiraer^nary fef>^
ttlity, and its natural advantages, wiH cause it to become *
large and populous town. It was one of the first setded
towns in the state. It was originally laid out by die Ohio
company, in 1787. And in the folkywing sprii^, it was
setded by eight families. The first settierB wwe from
New England. Among the founders of diis estabfifJi-
ment, was general Putnam, whose nateie and dmr a cter a re
recorded in die history of diis state, it is distattt 116



Digitized by



Google



iiHeB ftom WtBhingion^ and niM^^^liree from CSkillaM-
tfie; tWAornQnciimati^aiidlOdniiUi-eMim^
Columbus. N. latitude 39* 9&\ W« loogittide 4!" 38'.

Laticasier is the fiMit of jttstiM fiir FUrfieU
ated nearly in the centre of H^ and is eittirely ma ii
Jriace. It is nearihesoyroe of Hoekhoddng riTec^ <m the
roadfWmiZaneBviUeooOhitticoihe. Iti»uitendedloM»*
beet this lown with thegroatSrieomai^byalmtflnd canL
It is a large, handsome, and watt tailt tIUi^ A eonsfr*
derable number of its iahabiiajiii are Gemana It icoi^
tains more than MOhooiei, aittd aboot i,ga> iahahiiaatfc
It has a number of fiiMic bvihlmgB, mdfe4MDi^
a bMk, and two printing offices, fimii each cf which «m
issued two w^eUy papers, in the Bnghsh and tiormanteH
guages. It is a (rfaee of great mechanioal eampnBa and
industry; and when ii shall ha eonneded widi the gmat
eanal, will undouhlsdly become a place of coiisidanfaia
hnportance. It is^smtml tomlaige aiidpopuloBOCQBiry.
tt is situated twenty-eight miles south of Cofandms, lui
thirty-six soudi-westerly from Eanesnfia

l^w Lisbon, the seat of justice for Ccdmnbiaiia, is^situ-
Bfted otaa bmnoh of die LitdeBea?or,fomieeii miieafifDm
#ie Ohio. It contains a oomt house, a jail, a faanic, two
churches of brick, six public houses, nine stcnres, and in
Ihe town^p of which it is the centre, 3,300 infaaUtants.
It has lour merchant, and four eaw miHs; « papa* miK,
two woollen fitctories, a ftHing miU and canhi^ maduML
It is eituated fi%-six miles -mM-tfa^wesiertir fitan Pitcsbwrg ;
and 160 tiordneMtt^y from Ckdimifaus. N. latimdodtf*
40^, W. longitudes' ffSr.

Galliop^ is the chieftown of Pallia ooon^. ItliaB a
eourt house, jail and mi academy, it has eighty ho«es,«il
leight stores. It was <Nriginally ssided by French lamM*
franta They had been deceived by specubiOfB ; iiidsuf*.



Digitized by



Google



Ared sererely by bilious tav^ra^mbeeomag aoeHtaatect
Some left in discouragement, many died ; and the number
of the origimi French settleni is small,
' St Claifsviile is an inland to^m, and issiiiaa^ on ele-
vMed ground, surrounded by hiUyt but fertile land& It
has a court house, jail, mwket house, a printing office, a
bank, fiftemstiH^ and 800 inhfibitanta It is on the great
road £fom Wheeling to CHnchmali; and is distant eleven
nnles west finom the former plaea

Portsmouth is the chief town of Soiotocoon^. It is
situated on the eistem bade of the Scioio, just above its
junction mtt the Ohia A great amount of rommisHiog
business for the Scioto couiMry is dmie here; and the po-
sition, fw internal commerce with the state, is esoeedingif
advantageous. There is a baidt, court house, jail, printing
office, and the usual numbw of pubHo buildings, mechanic
diops, and stores, for a toim of the size of thia Djf the
last oensus, it contained 537 inhabitaiits. It has increased
since diattima The great Ohio canal, it is expected, wiM
here communicate with theCHdo, which miuitat once ren-
der this town a place of great consequenca It is forty-
five miles south of ChiUicotbe, and ninety in the samedi*
reeticm fimn Columbus. N. latitude, 38^ 48', W. longNude
6^53'.

. Circleville, on the east bank of the Scioto,.is ^ comilf
town of Pickaway coim^. In the limits of the town are
two Indian mdimds, the one square, the other circular.
The town derives its name from being chicdy built in the
limits of the circular mound. These mounds are amoi^
the most interesting in the western country, and are de*
scribed elsewhere. The town contains a handsome court
house, a printing office, maik^ house, tm stores, vmous
aiechanic shops, wad about seven himdred inhabitanta-r
The rich Pickaway fimm or prairies^ are near this (daca



Digitized by



Google



"Ibe aifBCsnt wooded land» of lower Wabnit creek are
equally riofa ; and this town^ central to sneh cxtemlB oiS&t*
tife soil, must beoome of consklerable importance. The
Ohio canal is also expected to pass throu^ this viUage.«-«i
It is situated tw^aty-«ix miles south of Columbus^ nine*
teen north of GhiUicothe, and twenty miles west of lian^.
caster. N. latitude 99" 36', W. longitude S" 93'.

Urbana is the county town of CSiafiipa%ne eom^y near
Mad river. It contains a court house^ a jail, a printing <^
fice, a methodist and a presbyterian churcfat & market
house, nine stores, ISO houses Bjod TOO inhabitanta It is
distant forty-three miles north*westfixmiColumbua N.lau
itude 40'' 3', W. longitude 6' 4'.

Xenia, the county town of Green coun^, is situated on
Shawnee creek, and contains a court house, jail, two chur-
ches, two pi[inting offices, ten 8tores,and 600 inhaUtants^
It is distant foriy*four miles north by west from Columbus.

DaytQD, the diief town of Montgomery coon^, is char'^
mingly situated on the eastern bank of the Gr(MU Miami,
just below the conflu^M^e of Mad river, and near where the
Miami canal connects with the Miami. The vmters of
Mad river are artificially conducted firom that river to the
Miami^ so as to affiird a great number of mill seats. It
contains the usual public buildings, two churchef;, two print*
iqg offices, a bank, fifteen stores, and more than 100 dwell-
ing hoiraes. Fine lands surround this towa Ithasmany
natural advantjiges; and wh^n die canal shall connect it
with Cincinnati, and, probably, hereafter, wh^i another
canal diall connect it with lake Erie, it can not &il to be-
come one of the most considerable towns in this state.

Lebanon is the coun^ town for Warren county. It k
between two small branches of Turtle creek. It has the
usual public buildings, two churches of bri<^, and a jail of
stone} two market houses, a bwk, a printing <^&Be, and a



Digitized by



Google



M^peelttUemcial Kbrary* The mMttmmimg
finelaiKL It<»maine<« Ifiai, t j079 intaibtmnia Urn
imtMBt^htf milet mucfaMireMerly fiwn Cohwihys; aai
iktfljiioraMOste^ N.ktitiiifear aft*,

W.IongiittderS'.

AtfiensiBlheeaanlyiOfwnof AtbeMMli^ ItkaiiB*
ated on an devated btiifF^ in a bend of the HookhockiDg)
in a pesiCMfi equally JMaudiiil and heakby. In Uw village
is hxMsd f|i6 Ohio umforeiiy. There is already eiecled
for flhe aoeommodation of this inddtiitton^a handmne ed^
ice, four BlorieB high. The ftmdi^ 4he Itbcary^ and pbikK
aophical apparaius are respeotablet and it (mmmea lo be
an instiuition of great ntiiiQf to die interests of the liiera*
tnreof the stata 'Hie town oontmns between fortjr and
My bouses, a nnmber of stores, a ooortbonse^a jail, Aa,and
has several milk 4m the river, in its vidnily* It is seventy-*
Aree milessonth-east from Golmnbos, forty^Nie westerfy
from MarieHa, and fi%-two ^ast firom ChiffioodieL N^
latitude 89^ 98', W. longitude 5» 6\

CSeavelMid is situated on the soudiem shore of Ud»
Brie, and ic^lhe coun^ town of Cuyahc^ county. Its |)o-
sition is at the mouth of Cuyahoga river. Durii^ Ae kite
war, it wa&a depot of provisions ; and a place whene many
boats, and lake erafls were built; and it.is a noted point of
«mbaiiiati<Mfi on the lake. It is a growing frface; and the
pfesent fiumber of inhabitants fitr excc^eds the lastcm*
BUS, vfhioh gave 6061 It has a number of public buikl-
ing8,a bank, and a prmting oflice. It is disttmt 191 miles
nordi-west from Pittebui^; and ISO north-^mslwardly
from Columbus. N. btitude 41* 31', W. loiq^itude 4r
44'. The great Ohio Canal here connects vrilfa the
lake; and passes Arough the central parte of Ohio; pre-
serving for some distance a course parallel to die Scio«>;
and finally connecting with the Ohio near die month of



Digitized by



Google



^mt rrrar. When ihii cttMil slialt be completed,
place, itueimediate as it id becwMii Ae New Yorkfanal^
and Gmctnnati, waU become of eottfte a large and kA^
poitant place.

SanduBky, now denomisated Sondtttky d^, a^ sOm^^
dmes called Poitbmd, hai been but reeendy laid oat
BaiitJsaterygrawifigplace. hba faarborliH^die IfiAA
Meam boaiK It will bMome one ef die moet impoi^
«mc ^m on die kJce. Very ooiiriderable ftmoaiUB d
produce liave already been diipped from diie plate ftr
Canada, and New York LotaaidyeTilkge^eildaleolS
C^eavdaiid are held at high prices. When the gTeM ad^
ifmsiagi^ that these (daces wiB d^rite from die comphftkm
of the great Ohio canal, are contemplated; when it is eoti*
sidered,wfaattmmensee3ttaFiisef cottiitry are lm«ight iii
WMer oommmiicadon by ibai cikiair widi Ctatadtt, New
York, the immttiie eoomryon die lakes, and WateMd by
dieir rivers, Ike wbide fertile regions of Ohio, and die ml^
ley of the Ohio and McssisBippi, and diac diese towns are
eentrftl to die northern and soothem extremities of that
eommontciition, it will be ^iffienlt for tmaginaiiAn to as^
^^ the limits of the fiitore importance of these towna

Clt^Mwille, a town hiid otft in 1817, is the comHy
Wvnk of Sandosky coanty« It is at the lower rapids of die
river Saiidnsky,attd opposite fort Stephenson, Itisdistant
ninety^igbi miles nwdi from Colambos^ and ten miies,
n a right line, from the lake, at die moaUi of the river.

Aditabida is a post town of Ashtabula county, simaled
aidie ondef of Ashtabula river into the lake. It omtaina
over 900 infaabitanls. The names of die towns, diat foh
low are, for the most part, diose of county toims, and of
conndwable villages, some of them containing more inhobi*
tants, than many of the villages here described. Penys-
borg, Cadiz, Canton, Warren, New nUladelphia, Woosfer,

VOL, u 43



Digitized by



Google



Bfamfield, Mount Varnon, Cosfaooton, Newark, Somenset,
Debware, Worthington, Fraiiklinioii, KIMxirougb, Pike*
lOB, Springfield^ Pidsaway, Troy^ JSadon, HamikoD, &ax
In &ct, there are at least fifiy.tx>n8ideraUe villages in this
state, of a size to surprise the tmreUer, wb^i he first comes
upon ibem, that th^oiaaies have scarcely reached him.
Particulur deseriptions4iavebeen here given, not always ia
view of the coinpajrative importance oi the villages, but
fi-om jrelative^rcumstances, as their being coun^ towns,
or towns of an^der date. Many of the villages above
named are flourishing, and ou^rpwing their older rival&
In short, every thing in, this isitate, as we have remarked of
tt|e towns and settleoients in the other western states, is so
rapidJly shifting under the inspe<^on of the observer, that
the description of towns, which may be jii^t and accural
this year, may be wholly unjust the next One of die par-
ticular disadvantages of this state is, that it has grown so
rapidly, that towns have become of importance and have
received names in cme part of it, without hearing, that in
jDther parts the same name has been selected for a new
towa Of course, there is the unfortunate confiision i^ a
number of towns possessing the same name. It is he-
lieved,that die same name has been appropriated in diis
state, three or four time& It is already a firuitfiil source of
error and misdirection in the sending of letters) and.aU
those, ciroumstances of transmi^on, that require perfect
eleamess^and precision in the name and direction. This
evil clearly ought to be remedied by the legislature.

The names/>f the following military positions 91^ con-
tinually recttrri()g in the history of this state, and. of the
late war. Fc»rt Defiance is situated at the juniction of the
Au Glaizeand Maumee rivers, fif^ miles south-west fi-oil^
fort Meigs. Fort Loramie is on the head waters of the
<Jreat Miami, and one of the boundary points referred to,



Digitized by



Google



in die Greenville treaty. Fort Meigs Hvas erected in T813;
on the south-eastern bank of the Maumee, a few nlilw
from die mouth, at die lower rapids of the river; distant ,
southerly from Detroit^seventy miles. It is noted for the
3iege, which it sustained from the Brityi^ and Indians in
Apriland May, 1813. Fort Recovery was a fort establisb-
ed by general Wayne. The disastrous defeat of ourtMOps
eommuided by general St Clair, by the Indians, occurred
here, in 1795. It is situated twenty-three miles northward-
ly of fort Loramie. Fort Greenville is one of the most
noted points, in the history of Ohio ; and was one of the first
fortifications erected" in the country. It is in the present
limits of Darke county, and a few miles east of the western
limits of the state. Here, in 1795, was concluded the
celebrated treaty of general Wayne with the savages, aA
ter his memorable victory over them. From diis trea^,
Ae country began to populate. Before it, apprehension
and terror were so universally prevalent among^the settlers,
Aat they either remained in forts, or cultivated their fields
with arms in their hands. After the treaty, the savages
for a considerable time left the settter& undisturbed.

Canals. The subject of canals was first brought offi-
cially before the attention of the Ohio legislature, in 1819,
by governor Brown, It was subsequently canvassed by
the legislature ; and puUlc ojanion was maturing upon the
subject by essays,^ discussions, and articles both in fiivor o^
and against the measure in the public papera. la 1832^
Mr. Williams made a very able report upon the sabjeetv
Immediately afterwards, a IhU was passed, ordering sur-
veys and appropriating moniey to defi^y> the expenses.
Piflferent routes were surveyed, and great diligence and
exertion used by the appointed commissionera Different
reports were brought before the legislature in the siiecessive



Digitized by



Google



7ecmI893 - '4aiid '5,inwhidb last ]mur die kgi^
prized Ae Qliimt and Oilioeaiiakii

^TheObiQ C9mi ia located on the SciwtaandMuslringiMii
rottt^f ilA nortlieni t^^ramanoii vn» tnAmeq^aevAj fixed by
Ibe Ck>imnmioMia to be at the «MMMb ^ die Guyabogai
The work wm oaammiced m iuty, 1895^ and is mw m
iueeeii^ pRtgreoSr Id dammelmif rae the same nviih
diQW <^ tbe &ie canal of New York^ ^coG|>tiiig Ae bo(^
tomywluehiatwai^-eurftei bread. Iia fength, indod^
leedere^ ia about 320 milea In tbis dialance, there ai«
1,185 fee(^ k)okaget* a large reservoir^ several aquedaeiB^
and niuneraw amallejr worl» easwdal to thecenTenienct
Mdutiliiyofao extended aiobain of airtifioalnavlgai^ In
Mcourae from die laketo theri?er,it travefaea tfaecentral^
and itt many pe9pect9, tbe moat productiTe parti of ibo
atala Comeaencing at the beaottfiil village of Ckaveland^
it keepa the ralley of Cuyahoga to Ponaget vbioh gifee
lta name to dw anoanrit level between tbe Cuyaboga and
the Tuaearavraa; here it passes over to tbo latter aCream
and descends with it by tbe yittages of KendaH^IKiver^
and Cioshocton, ta the month of WakalOQudca cfeek»
where it leaTes Zanesville a few miles to the aenth, imd
passing dw high lands into Licking nver, ascends that
atceam to the summit level; from this point il enceia tbe
dcioto valley by Wakint creak, and paasing €ircletriUe»
ChiUtcothe and Piketon, joins the Ohio at or near Fbrtsn
month. A navigable feeder oi tm milea in Imgdi^ can^
nects Cokunbns with tbe.main canaV bi addition to dw»
a company ha^ been ineorporated and the stock taken, to
connect Lancaster with it by a lateral cn& Impiwrementa
of thesame nattire wtU^ doubtless^ be ronde in rdation to
many other jdaces^whw a little SBMire expertenoe haapboed

* The lockage en the Ohio capal i^ nearly double what it it on the graiiA
tjtool of New York.



Digitized by



Google



341

4w miBljr of iImsb wmiss bejFond ike caTib ^ acepickai^
It will be seen from tbe locality of this work, that heiides
the ioarisbing distriets bordering ea the Cayahc^ and'
Tuscarawas, the whole of the immrase and fertile eountvjp
watered by the Scioto and its tributaries, is, in a measore^
depeadeni on this canal for its connection with the markeia
af die north and the soattu It ia from the produets of tlvb
rich vaH^y, that most deductions have been drawn widi re*
gard to the usefii biess of the work, it aboaiida in alt thosa
atapie conmiodtties, from which a ki^e portbu of the
western country deriTes the means oi easy subsbtcDoei
and substantial wealth.

^Of this, eighty miles are to be finished on the Isl of
July next Sixty^fiwr miks of continuous navigation from
CSeaveland to Massillon, will then be open ta puUie uaa
Jn addition to the regular Une of canal and its feeders, a
kti^e reservoir has been constructed on It^king Summit
to supply in liie driest seasons, the deficiency of wat^.
This is a very interesting portion of the work; a natural
jBiarsh, flooded during freshets by die neighboring streams,
is, by embanking a part of one side, eonverted into a large
lake for the uses- of artificial narigation. Its length is be*
tween nx and sewn miles, and its breadth about half a
mila This resenroir is now completed, and also the
feeder fix>m the soudi fork of licking, and ntne-lenlhaof
the labor on the Kne fitNuPortage to the lake^ and that on
die Licking Shmiarii; This work has, so kr, advanced
with greater rapicttty, and be^i less eiqpensive, than; wad
originally anticipated.

^ On the pact of the nortbemidiwioD put undier contract,
ihcare witt be, after deduc^g a sum deemed sufficient for
ipupariniBndeace and oontkigmcies, a saving of lOft,0Ott
doHarsfromitbeesiunates. On die contracts made on tha



Digitized by



Google



342 mnra

middle division, there wifl be a similar saving of abodt
60,000 dollars.

^The Miami canal connects Cincinnati wiih 4ie heart ci
die populous and exuberant r^on bordering on the two
Miamies. It commences at Dajton, near the mouth of
Mad river, and descending the valley of the Miami, passes
by the villages of Miamisburg, Frankhn, Middletown,and
Hamilton ; at the latter place it leaves the Miami, and fol-
lows the course of Mill creek to die upper levd of Cin-
cinnati* It is intended to connect this level with the river
Ohio, by a series of descending locks, and such additional
works as may best serve the purposes of commerce and
manu&ctures.

^The length of this canal, as now located, is about six^-
seven miles, and its dimensions the same with those of the
Ohio canal The wori^ was commenced in July, 1835^
and has since advanced with uncommon rapidity. That
part of the line now under contract, extends from J&ioch's
mill-dam, above Middletown, to Main street, Gfaieinnati,aiMr
will be ready for navigation in July next, 1837. The entire^
distance is near forty-four miles, and includes a dam wee
the Miami, a drain from the pond at the head of MiU
creek, five aqueducts, twelve locks, twen^ stone culverts,
and some heavy embankments. Of this distance, thiny-
one miles, together with most of the masonry, are comple-
ted, and the remainder in a state of rapid progression.
The rest of the Une, between Middletown and Dayton, will
be put under contract next spring, and com[rfeted in the
year 1828. Amount of lockage, 300 feet

^The estimated cost of the whole line is 616^37 ddfaurs.
The country bordering on the Miami canal is emin^itly
distinguished for the abundance of its natural productions,
and the rapid advances of its populattoa It includes the
counties of Hamilton^ Warren, Buder, Preble, Montgome*



Digitized by



Google



oHlik 343

vy, Green, Clark, CSiaiopaigD, Darke and Miami It is in
these counties that die immense quantities of flour, pork,
whiskey, &/C« annually exported from Cincinnati, are pro-
duced. Their contiguity to the canal is such, that most of
their products must, of necessity, be conveyed upon it
They are now transported in wagons — a mode of convey-
ance ever attended with comparative loss and difficult, in
a country where the soil, so abundant and various in its na-
tural gifts, is, however, less favorable to die construction of
good roads, than to that of canak

^Besides the ordinary benefits of canal communication,^
0Hich is anticipated from the waier power gained in the
descent fit>m the upper plain of Cincinnati to the level of
the river. The quantity of water which may safely be
admitted, in addition to what is required for the uses of na-
vigation, without creating too strong a currrat, is estima-
ted by engineers at 3,000 cubic feet per minute. In de-
scending to high watermark (about fifiy feet,) this will be
sufficient to turn sixty pair of mill strniea Additional wa-
ter power, equivalent to about one-third of this in value,
may be obtained between high and low water raarka At
the locks near Reading, and at other places between that
and Dayton, water sufficient for extensive hydraulic works
may be fiimished. Of the accuracy of tiiese estimates
there is no reason to doubt; they were made by persons
skilled in their profession, from minute examination of the
obstacles to be encountered, and the means of overcoming
them.

^In estimating die revenue to be derived from the Miami
canal, it may be observed, that the quantity of produce
raised within such a distance as renders it a convenient
means of transportation, is greater than it was originally
supposed ; and that this quantiQr is continually increasing
with the growdi and improvement of the country. The



Digitized by



Google



value of wafer rents is dso much greater (kan k was origh
nally esumated by the commissionenL

*The practicabUity of extending the Miami canal to die
rapids of the Maumee, has been ascertained by experieii<»
ced engineers, and the line actually located. When tli^
completion of the works already undertaken shidl have
increased the public confidence and restources, this nordi*
ern section of the Miami canai will doubdess be comfDm*
oed. An active and notteroos population id rajHdly
spreading over that quarter of the slate through whidi k
will pass, and substiuiting the enei^gies of civilintton, for
the dulhiesB of the forest The length of the enttfe liM
from Cincinnati to the rapids of the Maamee^ including
die feeders, is 290 miles, and die estimated cost 2^,000
dollars.

^The fijnds lor the proeeciitian of these improvementfi
have heretofore been obtained without d^eal^, and non#
k now anticipated. In Che year 1825, the sum of 409,000
doHars was borrowed at leas dian six p^ eent per atmunw
In 1826, IfiOOfidO doHars was obtained ott terms mariy
as favorable* The existing laws auiborise a loan of
1,200^000 dollani for each of the yean» 1827 and 182d^
which, with those already made, will amount to 3^00^000



Online LibraryTimothy FlintA condensed geography and history of the western states, or the Mississippi valley → online text (page 72 of 85)