Tom Stout.

Montana, its story and biography; a history of aboriginal and territorial Montana and three decades of statehood, under the editorial supervision of Tom Stout ... (Volume 3) online

. (page 117 of 232)
Online LibraryTom StoutMontana, its story and biography; a history of aboriginal and territorial Montana and three decades of statehood, under the editorial supervision of Tom Stout ... (Volume 3) → online text (page 117 of 232)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ernment. Thrs belief had been zealously fostered
by the leading Sioux chief. However, Blackfoot,
the big chief o"f the Crows, and his wife, a daughter
of old Crazy Horse, a Sioux chief, appealed to the
patriotism of the young fellows, and they ^ were
finally prevailed upon to cast their lot unrestrainedly
with "the white man. It was this conference that
led to the failure of the Sioux to establish the de-
sired alliance, and the peaceable stand taken by the
Crows prevented much loss of life and property by
a prolonged struggle. The chief instrument in this
arrangement was Major Pease, and that act stands
out conspicuously as the most important of many
services rendered by him to this region and to the
Crow Indians. It is not difficult therefore to under-
stand the peculiar afifection felt for Major Pease by
members of the Crow tribe, and they signalized
this long standing affection in a manner constituting
the highest possible award of honor when they
adopted him a member of the tribe in May, ig2o.

As a tribe the Crows have never been hostile
toward the whites, have shown fairness in their
dealings with white men and the Government, and
have observed every provision of their treaties. As
a reward for their loyalty the Government in 1868
set aside a reservation of seven million acres to be
theirs forever, and in addition appropriated several
million dollars to be used in their behalf. It is
confidently believed by well informed authorities
that not one-fourth of this sum ever reached its
real object, because of the conduct of the Indian
Department at Washington. The original reserva-
tion has been reduced by subsequent purchases from
the Crows to about two million acres. Long ago
it was discovered that this too would be taken from
them unless vigorous measures were taken by the
Government to prevent it. A score of years ago
Major Pease and his son George, a member of th»
tribe, undertook to arouse sentiment favoring a
division of the remaining tribal lands in severalty,
and at this time Congress is considering the final
provision of the bill which Senator Myers and Con-
gressman Riddick have been pushing to final passage.
This will insure the Crows a measure of tardy justice
and to some extent will right the wrongs done all
the tribes of Indians in the United States. Major
Pease from his long and intimate observation of
Indian affairs regarded the Gcn-ernment Indian
Department as nothing less than a curse in the
administration of Indian affairs. Having known



each of the men who have held the office of com-
missioner of Indian affairs, from Charles Mix, the
first, to the present incumbent, he looked upon the
entire record as one tinged with incompetence and
ignorance, if not actual malfeasance.

Major Pease was always loyal to the political
traditions of his ancestors. In i860 he traveled from
the Missouri River back to Pennsylvania in order
to cast his vote for Abraham Lincoln for president.
He never deviated from this partisan regularity
until the national campaign of 1916. Major Pease
was made a Mason by special dispensation at Knox-
ville, Pennsylvania, in 1868, taking the Blue Lodge
degrees there. He was affiliated with Livingston
Lodge Xo. 32, with the Scottish Rite bodies and
Algeria Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Helena.
While living within the limits of Dakota Major
Pease was elected a member of the First Territorial
Legislature, and attended the sessions of that party
at Yankton. He was chosen to prepare the first
Constitution of Montana as a delegate from Galla-
tin County, but that document was not approved.

In 1859, near Berthold, North Dakota, Major
Pease married Margaret Wallace, a half breed Crow.
Her father, John Wallace, was a noted warrior
among the Crows of that day. Of her four children
three grew to mature years. Laetus died at Seattle,
Washington, leaving no children. Lavantia, married
John L. Pearson, now a resident near Absorakee,
Montana, and their children are Virgie, Helen, Ethel
and Leah. George H., the youngest child, came to
manhood on the Crow Reservation, spent his life
here, and died at the Pease residence in Lodge
Grass, as the result of an automobile accident in
1916. He was educated in the common schools, was
a farmer and stockman, and also carried on exten-
sive trading relations with his tribesmen. He mar-
ried Sarah Walker, who is now living at Lodge-
grass, They had a family of nine sons and one
daughter. Of the sons four were soldiers, two in
the army and two in the navy, one a master black-
smith, during the World war. Six of the sons are
farmers near Lodgegrass. The daughter Helen
is the youngest of the family.

Of the noted Indian chieftains of the Northwest
during the past half century Major Pease by per-
sonal acquaintance was able to relate something dis-
tinctive and characteristic of nearly every one. He
knew intimately the great warrior and statesman
of the Sioux, Sitting Bull, and others of that tribe
known to him were Red Cloud, Gall, Rain-in-the-
Face. Strikes the Ree, Smoky Bear, Medicine Cow
and Grass. Among the Crows his personal knowl-
edge extended to Horse Guard, Blackfoot. Two
Belly, Iron Bull and Show his Face, while among
the Assiniboines he knew old White Hair, Magtram,
Jackson and the Fool. His acquaintance among the
Grosventres included Crows Breath, Poor Wolf,
Bloody Knife or Blue Cloud. He knew many of
the Blackfeet, being their special agent for a time,
and he knew Medicine Crow, the Santee and leader
of the New Ulm massacre in Minnesota in 1862.
The death of Major Pease occurred October 20,
1920.

Henry E. Borresox. Through his busy career as
a contractor and builder Henry E. Borreson has
lieen one of the real constructive factors in the im-
provement and development of Homestead and the
surrounding locality. His name and work are asso-
ciated in a most substantial manner with that sec-
tion, not only in commercial lines but also as a
farmer.

Mr. Borreson was born in Filmore County, Minne-
sota, December 14, 1879. His father, Ole Borreson,



HISTORY OF MONTANA



1053



a farmer's son, was born at Toten, Norway, August
20, 1845, and came to the United States in 1868.
For a short time he worked as a lumberjack and
river man at LaCrosse, Wisconsin, where he was
married, and then removed to Filmore County, Min-
nesota, buying land and becoming a farmer. Four
years later, selling his property, he went on to North
Dakota, homesteading in Barnes County. He spent
the rest of his life on that place and had made a
farm and improved it substantially before his death
in 1915. He went through the process of naturaliza-
tion soon after coming to this country and was
always affiliated with the republican party, and was
a Lutheran in religion, the faith also of his widow
and his children. July 4, 1872, Ole Borreson mar-
ried Miss Agnethe Jensen, who was born at Vardahl,
Norway, December 12, 1851, daughter of Hjerrone-
mus and Siri (Nelson) Jenson. She left Christiania,
Norway, and from Liverpool was carried on a ship
of the National Line to New York, being about two
weeks on the way. She reached this country in
May, 1869, and went on to LaCrosse, Wisconsin,
where three years later she was married. The chil-
dren of Ole Borrenson and wife were: Bertha, wife
of Thill Hendrickson, of Nome, North Dakota;
Sarah, wife of Henry A. Wilberg, of Nome; Henry,
of Homestead, Montana; Selma, wife of Ben John-
son, of Valley City, North Dakota.

Henry E. Borreson acquired a common school
education, and later finished most of the studies in
the building and contracting course of the Interna-
tional Correspondence School of Scranton. He
learned the carpenter's trade in Barnes County,
North Dakota, and did his first contracting in that
locality. For eight or ten years he operated with a
large crew of men, building town homes, and barns
and residences in the country.

His first stop in Montana was at Medicine Lake,
where for a week or so he served as yardman for
E. W. Palutzky, lumber dealer. Mr. Palutzky then
sent him to Homestead as manager of the yard in
that community, and after a few months he and
others organized the Homestead Lumber Company.
Mr. Borreson remained as manager of the yard
until he resumed contracting and building. The
yard subsequently changed hands and is now the
Olness Lumber Company.

The first contract he had at Homestead was for
the erection of a town hall. Since then he has put
up the buildings of the Olness Lumber Company,
farm residences of R. G. Tvler. S. K. Bolstad, C. C.
Gronhe and E. Strandlund, and Frank French's resi-
dence in town, besides other minor buildings; the
Nels Sunvold home in Froid, the Noland home, the
schoolhouse and J. C. Wigmore residence at Medi-
cine Lake, and the home of John Grayson at Ante-
lope.

Mr. Borreson is also one of the extensive growers
of grain and flax, cultivating his own land. The
heavy work of farming he accomplishes with a
tractor, which he has found both efficient and eco-
nomical over the old horse power method and ex-
pense. He has had three harvests from three plant-
ings, and ten bushels of wheat per acre in the most
protracted and disastrous drouth the state ever knew
in 1919 is a record fhat encourages him to believe
in the substantial agricultural future of this section
of Montana. Practically all his farming has been
done in relatively poor seasons, so that hardly any-
thing could dispel his faith in the resources of the
soil. Mr. Borreson was one of the original stock-
holders of the Homestead State Bank, now the
Farmers State Bank, and is still one of the bank
directors.

At Nome, North Dakota, August 18, 1910, he mar-



ried Miss Gertrude C. Lockrera, daughter of Ed-
ward and Anne (Thompson) Lockrem, the former a
native of Goodhue County, Minnesota, and the latter
of Skude, Norway. Her mother came to the United
States at the age of sixteen and was reared and mar-
ried in South Dakota, and she and her husband sub-
sequently became homesteaders and farmers there
and later lived at Nome, North Dakota, and she
died in Day County, South Dakota. Edward Lock-
rem is now living in Toronto, Canada. Besides Mrs.
Borreson there are two other children, Thomas, of
Barnes County, North Dakota, who served overseas
in the World war, and lost his left hand in one
battle; and Sophie, wife of Harold Ellington, of
Minneapolis.

Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Borreson : Alvan Everard, Howard Gordon, Con-
stance Margaret and Eunice Agnethe.

Thomas Kelley. Plentywood as the county seat
of Sheridan County is at the center of a rapidly
developing agricultural section of Montana, and the
entire region is one of the most attractive to the
home seekers and home builders of the present gen-
eration. It is less than a scant score of years that
the big transformations have been effected in this
country, and in the growth and development, of
Plentywood probably no one citizen has contributed
more liberally of his personal resources than Thomas
Kelley.

Mr. Kelley, who knows this region from the stand-
point of a quarter of a century's experience, was
born at Flint, Michigan, October 16, 1870. His father,
Patrick Kelley, was born in County Clare, Ireland,
and married there Martha Carey. Prior to the
Civil war Patrick Kelley brought his family to the
United States, and spent his active life as a brick
and cement contractor at Flint. Michigan, moving
to that city from New York State. He died at
Flint in 1899, when past sixty years of age. His
widow is still living, a resident of Chicago. Patrick
Kelley was a democrat in politics. His children
were : Sarah, who became -the wife of Tom Margi-
. son and died at Elkhart, Indiana; Martha, who be-
came the wife of Eugene Henderson, of Tuscola
County, Michigan; Thomas; Selma, wife of James
Hugan, of Chicago; and Lizzie, Mrs. Jack Cargill.

Thomas Kelley lived at Flint to the age of twenty,
attending the city schools and learning the cigar-
maker's trade. Leaving Michigan in 1890, he went
to Chicago, worked at his trade several months, and
successively made cigars at St. Louis, at Piqua, Ohio,
at Boston, Massachusetts, Nashua, New Hampshire,
and thence north through' Montreal and Toronto.
Returning to Michigan, he worked at Tecumseh, and
his last occupation at rolling cigars was in Min-
neapolis.

In May, 1895, he came to Montana, where he did
his first work as a section hand at Culbertson. This
brief employment stiffened his back and hardened
his muscles, and during the summer he tended the
flock and put up hay for C. N. Smith, a sheep man.
His next employment was with Homer Armstrong
at "Hardscrabble" on the Missouri River, and later
he worked on the ranch of J. S. Day. In those early
years as a cowpuncher and sheep tender Mr. Kelley
rode up and down the Big Muddy around the pres-
ent locality of Plentywood, and frequently would
see no human being for fifty or sixty miles except
a lonely sheep tender here and there. The first set-
tler to establish himself on the townsite of Plenty-
wood was George E. Bolster, to whose initiative
and enterprise the early business of the town was
due. Mr. Kelley came to Northeastern Montana
soon after the buffalo had disappeared, though deer



1054



HISTORY OF MONTANA



and antelope remained in abundance and almost un-
disturbed until the occupation of the country by per-
manent settlers drove them away.

One of his first employers in the Big Muddy
country was Jud Matkin, now one of the leading
citizens and ranchmen of Sheridan County. Then
after an interval of a few years he returned from
the Missouri River country and entered the employ
of Peter Marren, also another leading character of
Sheridan County. For three years he rode the range
and tended sheep for this typical Irish neighbor of
the old plains country. He then used his capital and
experience to engage in the cattle industry on his
own account on Beaver Creek. A few years later
he identified himself with Plentywood, which at that
time was just beginning to take on life as a town.
He built one of the first business houses on the
townsite, and entered the retail liquor business, which
he continued until state wide prohibition became
effective.

Mr. Kelley took advantage of the opportunities
to acquire a farm by entering public land. His farm
was near Archer on the Great Northern Scobey
branch. The home for himself and wife was a frame
shack of two rooms. There he collected a few
horses, planted crops and cultivated them while
proving up. After securing title he left the farm
as a place of residence, but still owns it, and has
made it the nucleus of a generous and well de-
veloped ranch of i,ooo acres.

Air. Kelley has never been a laggard in throwing
his energy and resources into the development of
Plentywood. He joined in the movement for the
telephone system, the Farmers Store, the creamery
and the drug store, taking stock in all those enter-
prises. He has never been active in politics, merely
expressing his sentiments in national affairs as a
republican. He is affiliated with the Knights of
Columbus and his family are communicants of the
Catholic Church.

Mr. Kelley found his wife while she was a home-
steader in the Plentywood locality. Her maiden
name was Johanna Armstrong. Mrs. Kelley was
born at Anoka, Minnesota, in 1872, daughter of
William T. and Sarah (Farrington) Armstrong, the
former still living and at the Kelley home. Mrs.
Kelley has one sister, Mrs. Arthur Charlesworth.
Mr. and Mrs. Kelley were married at Glasgow,
Montana, June 19, 1911. They have an adopted son,
Gerald.

Mr. Kelley has contributed to the material growth
of Plentywood with the erection of one of the best
residences in Sheridan County. It is a two-story,
semi-bungalow pattern, with basement, hot water
heat and other modern equipment such as electric
washer, fan, and a public water supply. For emer-
gency two pumps are provided, and a cistern fur-
nishes soft water for laundry purposes. The house
contains six rooms and a glass-enclosed sun parlor
on the south. The conspicuous wall decorations of
the home are the work of the artist's brush, per-
formed by Mrs. Kelley. She possesses a spon-
taneous artistic taste, and her study has developed
some interesting results both in landscape and china
decorating.

Roy Hughes. A man of undoubted business in-
telligence and ability, and thoroughly familiar with
all of the details connected with the mining indus-
try, Roy Hughes, as he always signs his name, which
is really Irving Le Roy Hughes, is rendering valu-
able and appreciative service to the Anaconda Cop-
per Mining Company as superintendent of the Badger
State Mine, which is located on the northern part
of the company's property. A son of Newton L.
Hughes, he was born August 4, 1881, in Fremont,



Nebraska, and spent his early life on the home
farm.

Born in_ New York State in 1847, Newton L.
Hughes migrated to Nebraska when a young man,
being impressed with the many opportunities a newer
country offered a young man of energy and indus-
try. Taking up wild land in Fremont, he cleared a
good farm, which he is still actively and success-
fully managing. He is a republican in politics, and
an active member of the Baptist Church. He mar-
ried in Fremont, Nebraska, Clara J. Rarrick, who
was born in 1854 at Cedar Falls, Iowa, and of their
union two children were born, Irving Le Roy, the
subject of this sketch, and Walter Earl, a student
in the Creighton Medical College at Omaha, Ne-
braska, died at the early age of twenty years.

Educated in his native town, Roy Hughes com-
pleted the studies of the sophomore year in the
Fremont High School, and on the home farm was
well trained in agricultural pursuits. Leaving home
at the age of seventeen years in search of fame and
fortune, he visited Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona,
New Mexico and California, working his way from
state to state at any respectable job, but found no
place in which he desired to make a permanent lo-
cation until his arrival in Butte, Montana, in Feb-
ruary, 1903. Beginning life here as an under-
ground miner, he was for six months in the employ
of the Old Parrot Mining Company for six months,
receiving $3.50 a day compensation for his labors,
and subsequently worked an equal length of time for
the Heinze Mining Company. Becoming associated
then with the Anaconda Copper Mining Company,
Mr. Hughes began work as a common miner, and
proved himself so capable that in 1907 he was made
shift boss at the Diamond Mine. In 1910 he began
work as a miner at the Badger State Mine, and in
1911 was made shift boss at that mine. In 1915 he
was advanced to assistant superintendent of the
mine, and in August, 1919, was promoted to his
present responsible position of superintendent of the
mine, an important office which he is ably and faith-
fully filling, having under his supervision 375 men,
his offices being located at the mine.

Mr. Hughes married at Butte, in 1911, Mrs. Clara
(Gibbons) Lund. Mrs. Hughes's father, A. J. Gib-
bons, is proprietor of a hotel at Edina, Missouri, but
her mother is not living. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes have
no children.

William Elmer Rood. While the greater part
of his time since becoming a Montanian has been
devoted to ranching, Mr. Rood in 1918 turned his
experience and skill as a printer and newspaper
man to the editorial management of the Twin
Bridges Independent, and is now the responsible
director of the affairs of that well known Montana
newspaper.

Mr. Rood was born at Faribault, Minnesota, Au-
gust 29, 1881. His father. Nelson Rood, was born
at Christiania, Norway, in 1849, came to the United
States when about twenty years of age, and has
since lived at Faribault, Minnesota, where he was
an early settler. He now lives retired. He is a
republican and a member of the Lutheran Church,
and before coming to this country served in the
Norwegian Army. William Elmer Rood is the only
son and the youngest of three children. His sister
Agnes lives at home and his sister Elma is a pro-
fessional nurse with home at Minneapolis and dur-
ing the late war was an army nurse at Fort Snelling.

William Elmer Rood was educated in the public
schools of Faribault and left school at the age of
sixteen to learn the printing trade in a local office.
For one year he worked as a printer at Tacoma,
Washington, for another year was editor of the




AM(/X^^i>cA^y^^



//



HISTORY OF MONTANA



Oregon Observer at Grant's Pass, and for a year
and a half did newspaper work at Park River, North
Dakota. He was also editor for one year of the
Eveleth News at Eveleth, Minnesota. On coming to
Montana in 1913 Mr. Rood took up a homestead on
the McHessor Bench, eighteen miles south of Twin
Bridges. He still owns his homestead and a quarter
section besides, and in the intervals of his duties
as a newspaper man gives his active supervision to
this property. In 1918 he accepted a proposition from
the stockholders of the Twin Bridges Independent
to assume the editorship and business management
of that journal. The Independent was established
in 1915, is a republican paper, and circulates in
Madison and surrounding counties, being issued
every Friday. The stockholders of the organiza-
tion are A. J. Wilcomb, Al Weingard, of Waterloo,
J. C. Siedensticker, of Twin Bridges, and J. R.
Jones, a Twin Bridges attorney.

Mr. Rood is clerk of School District No. 61.
Politically he is a republican voter. He married at
Faribault, Minnesota, in 1913, Miss Edith S. Schmidt,
daughter of Bernard and Elizabeth Schmidt. Her
mother lives at Sauk Center, Minnesota. Her father,
deceased, was a Faribault merchant. Mr. and Mrs.
Rood have three children : Charlotte, born in June,
1915: William Elmer, Jr., born in November, 1916;
and Helen Elizabeth, born in July, 1918.

John D. Ryan. During the first decade of the
present century the fame of Montana so far as it
rested upon news and newspaper publicity was
largely involved in the prolonged and recurrent civil,
industrial and political warfare waged between the
Amalgamated Copper Mining Company and the in-
terests led by Augustus Heintze. The great "copper
war," which divided the State of Montana into hos-
tile camps, is the proper subject for consideration on
other pages of this publication. The subject is intro-
duced here only to give credit where credit is due,
since it was John D. Ryan whose power and influ-
ence in the industrial world, whose tact and diplo-
macy and great forcefulness, were the instruments
chiefly responsible for the settlement of that fac-
tional warfare which had done so much to retard
the growth and development of the Northwest.

Since then John D. Ryan has been one of the great
national figures in finance and industry and makes
his home at the heart of the nation's finance and
business. New York, but as president of the Ana-
conda Copper Mining Company he is properly re-
garded as the head and front of Montana's greatest
single industry.

John D. Ryan was born at Hancock, Michigan,
October 10, 1864, and his birthplace in a Northern
Michigan mining town seemed to point the destiny
of his mature career. He came to Butte in 1901, and
with his accession to authority in the affairs of the
Anaconda Copper Mining Company, bitterness and
strife quickly vanished, and he became the mediator
in one of the greatest industrial disputes in all his-
tory.

He made peace in the Montana copper district,
but he made it through the dominant power he exer-
cised through the sheer force of his will and his
powerful intellect, which convinced men associated
with him that his was the reasonable and effective
course. Only a few men have rivaled John D. Ryan
as a business organizer. Taking the constituent com-
panies of the Amalgamated, including the Anaconda
Company, and scores of subsidiary mining, smelting,
railroad, lumber and other industries, he welded them
all into a coherent whole until this industrial group
today stands second in resources, power and effi-
ciency, only to the United States Steel Corporation.

It was also largely due to Mr. Ryan's genius

Vol. Ill— 26



that the Amalgamated broadened the scope of its
efforts into many other fields than mining, and has
been responsible for the development of some of
the great hydro-electric powers of the state and the
irrigation of great bodies of fertile lands.

Mr. Ryan was one of the great American business
executives called to the service of the Government
during the World war. In April, 1918, President
Wilson appointed him director of aircraft produc-
tion, and he also served as chairman of the Air



Online LibraryTom StoutMontana, its story and biography; a history of aboriginal and territorial Montana and three decades of statehood, under the editorial supervision of Tom Stout ... (Volume 3) → online text (page 117 of 232)