United States. Bureau of Reclamation.

Annual report - Bureau of Reclamation online

. (page 24 of 94)
Online LibraryUnited States. Bureau of ReclamationAnnual report - Bureau of Reclamation → online text (page 24 of 94)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


pared and advertisement issued for proposals to be opened July 6,
1906. No proposals were received and the work was readvertised, the
proposals were opened on September 28, 1906. All bids were un-
satisfactory and were rdected, and construction by Government
forces was authorized on October 9, 1906. An informal contract for
the construction of the shallow wells was entered into on November 7,
1906, and the wells were completed in readiness for the irrigation
season of 1908. The concrete-lined conduit constructed by Govern-
ment forces was completed in June, 1907, and the siphon under the
river was finished one month later.

PUMPING MACHINERY.

Each pumping unit is supplied with a vertical centrifugal pump
direct-connected to a 25-horsepower 3-phase induction motor. The
pumps are of top suction, inclosed balanced impeller, vertical-shaft
type, and have a capacity of 5 second-feet each at 580 revolutions per
minute. The impellers are balanced by means of water pressure.
Each pump is provided with a small rotary priming pump, belt
driven from the common shaft of the main pump and its motor. The
motors have a capacity of 25 horsepower, are supplied with current
at 220 volts, and are equipped with starting c9mpensators. The
electric current is transmitted to the pump houses at the generator
voltage of 6,600, and is there changed to the motor voltage of 220 by
oil-cooled transformers located in the pump houses. The transmis-
sion line is 25,000 feet in length and was constructed by Government



Digitized by



Google



192 FIFTEENTH ANNUAL REPOBT OF BECLAMATION SEKVIC5B.

Proposals for the pumping machinery were opened on July 7, 1906.
The specifications provided for f umidiing ten or more pumpmg units,
and on September 1, 1906, contract for furnishing ten 9-inch centrif-
ugal pumps connected to 25-horsepower electric motors was executed.
Proposals for 13 additional centrifugal pumps with 25-horsepower
electric motors were opened on January 2, 1907; and on January
27 a contract was executed for furni^ing thirteen 10-inch pumps
under these specifications. The ten 9-inch pumps were installed and
ready for operation by September, 1907, and the thirteen 10-inch
pumps were installed during June and July, 1>08.

OPEBATION AND MAINTENANCE.

Payment of the Beclamation Service charges has not been made
since 1909, and inasmuch as the public notices which have been issued
provide that no water shall be furnished in any irrigation season until
the operation and maintanance charges of the previous season have
been paid, the plant has been closed. The plant itself is not a failure,
but the people will not try to make it a success. Since 1909 no water
has been pumped, and maintenance work has been confined to the
necessary care of the plant.

FUTITBE PLANS.

During 1915 efforts were made to interest the Garden City Sugar
& Land Co. in the purchase or lease of the wells and plant or any part
thereof, but after considerable correspondence the matter was dropped
without any definite conclusion being reached.

FINANCIAL STATEKENT.

[Financial statement, in detail, showinff assets, liabilities, reserres, and capital, giyen In

appendix, p. 707.]

Feature coats of Garden City project t0 June SO, 1916.



Features.



Subfeaturs.



Principal
featnie.



Examination and surveys..
Pumping for irrigation:
WelTpits and shafts. . . .



Pumping plants..



Canal system:

Temporary structures. . .

Concrete conduit

Bridge across conduit. . .

Concrete culvert

Arlcansas River siphon. .
Right^f-way fence



Power system:

Power house building and plant..

Electrical installation

Soft water, well No. 1

Coal scales, trestle, and coal bins .

Industrial and railroad track

Cmmlating 12-fbot well

Soft water, well No. 2

Soft water, well No. 3

CooUng tower



Farm units..



$63,480.61
fil,fl04.13



2,497.42
56,473.73
160.30
97.78
26,786.16
2,541.81



82,273.12
15,410.75
1,219.37
6,445.06
1,556.30
13,890.00
1,072.71
1,543.73
1,710.24



$7,(08.73



106,188.M



88,618.17



U4,181.80



Digitized by



Google



KANSAS, OABDEN OITY PBOJEOT.
Feature costs o/Oarden OUy project to June 30, 191^— Oontiiiiied.



I9d



Features.



Subfeatiir*.



Pennaoent improyements and lands:

Real estate

Htedquarten baJIdineB

Labrlcating-ofl boose.

Workshop



Operation and maintenance dnring constraction (water rental basis) .
Plant aooounts



OiosB fto nwiTOiOvlon ooat* ••••••••••«•••••••••••••«

Lees ravanoes earned dnring oonetmotion period:

Bental <^ boikUngB

Contractor's freight reftmds

Forfeitnres by defanlting bidders and oontractors..

Other reyenues unclassified

Profit on meas-hoQse operations

Profit on hospital operations



Net cost of oonstmotlon of project to Jane 80^ 1916..



tl,840.28

4|866.87
374.86
410.74



889.68

1,911.73

6,800.00

13.00

800.82

686.68



f7»0Q1.69
48, 406. <^
4,802.30



886,466.86



10,090. n



878,434.04



Estimated cost of eontemplated noork. Garden City project, during fiscal year

1911,

$1.«00



Pomplng for Irrigation : Car* of and dlspoaal of plant—
«1809'— 16 IB



Digitized by



Qoo^^



MONTAWA, HUWTIET PBOTECT.
R. H. FiFiELD, project manager, Huntley, Mont

LOCATION.

County: Yellowstone.

Townships : 2 and 3 N., Rs. 27 to 31 E.. Montana meridian. ^

Railroads: Northern Pacific; Chicago, Burlington & Quincy.

Railroad stations and estimated population January 1, 1916: Huntley, 175;
Osborn ; * Worden, 114 ; Newton ; * Pompeys Pillar, 47 ; Bull Mountain ; * Ballan-
tine, 120 ; and Anlta,^ Mont.

WATEB SUPPLY.

Source of water supply: Yellowstone River.
Area of drainage basin : 12,000 square miles.

Annual run-off in acre-feet of Yellowstone River at Huntley (12«000 square
miles), 1908 to 1915: Maximum, 7.391.600; minimum, 4,562,220; mean, 6,014,000.

AGBICULTUBAL Ain> CLIMATIC CONDITIONS.

Area for which the service is prepared to supply water, season of 1916 : 32,M5
acres.

Area under water-right applications, season of 1916 : 26,711 acres.

Length of irrigating season : May 1 to September 30 — 153 days.

Average elevation of irrigable area : 3,000 feet above sea level.

Rainfall on irrigable area : 9 years, average, 14 Inches ; 1915, 17.23 Inches.

Range of temperature on irrigable area : —35* to 100* F.

Character of soil of irrigable area: Ranges from heavy clay to light sandy
loam.

Principal products : Alfalfa, oats, sugar beets, and wheat

Principal marlcets : Billings, Mont ; St. Paul and Minneapolis, Minn. ; Denver,
Colo. ; Kansas City, Mo. ; Seattle, Wash.

LANDS OPENED FOB IBBIQATION.

Dates of public notices' and orders: May 21, 1907; March 3, 1909; March 13,
1912 ; June 23, August 9, 1913 ; September 24, November 3, 1914 ; February 27.
March 20, October 9, December 23, 1915 ; January 15, March 15, 1916.

Location of lands opened : Tps. 2 and 3 N., Rs. 27 to 31 B., inclusive, M. M.

Present status of irrigable lands opened: 25,799.84 acres entered subject to
the reclamation act, 8,107.56 acres open to entry; 3,997.40 acres in private
ownership.

Limit of area of farm units : 160 acres.

Duty of water : 2 J acre-feet per acre per annum at the farm.

Building charge per acre of irrigable land : First unit, entered before Decem-
ber 23, 1915, public land, $30 per acre, additional charge of $4 per acre payable
to Indians ; private land, $50 per acre since December 1, 1913, additional charge
of $15 per acre for supplemental construction for all water-right applicants
subject to the terms of tiie extension act ; and all other water-right applicants
who have agreed to the increased charge; public land entered since December
23, 1915, $45 per acre. Second and third units, public land, $60 per acre, addi-
tional charge of $4 per acre payable to Indians ; private land, $60 per acre.

Annual operation and maintenance chage : A minimum charge of $1 per acre
of irrigable land, which entitles the water user to 1 acre-foot of water per acre.



>Le88 than 25 population.
IM



Digitized by



Google



MOKTAKA, HUNTLEY PEOJBOT. 196

and additional water furnished at the rate of 50 cents per acre-foot; water-
right applicants in the first unit who failed or refosed to sign the contract for
payment of the supplemental construction charge; $1.50 per acre of irrigable
land in addition to the above water charge.

CHBONOLOGIGAL SXJHMABY.

Reconnoissance made and preliminary surveys begun in 1904.

Construction recommended by board of engineers February 26, 1905.

Construction authorized by Secretary April 18, 1905.

First irrigation by Reclamation Service, season 1908.

First unit completed in 1908.

Second unit completed In 1915.

Entire project 83.9 per cent completed June 80, 1916.

raBIGATION FLAN.

The irrigation plan of the Huntley project provides for the diversion of water
from the south side of the Yellowstone River about 2 miles above Huntley,
Mont, into a main canal which extends down the valley about 27 miles to a
point 2 miles east of Bull Mountain. The greater portion of the water is dis-
tributed by gravity. Fourteen miles below the head gates a pumping plant is
installed, and a small portion of the water is lifted 45 feet into a high-line
canal. The high-line canal serves about 5,400 acres of land above the main
canal in the vicinity of Ballantine, Anita, and Pompeys Pillar. The pumping
plant is a reinforced concrete building containing two pumping units, each with
a capacity of about 31 second-feet and each comprising a turbine water wheel
directly connected with a centrifugal pump by means of a vertical shaft.
Three hundred and ten net horsepower is developed by a 34-foot drop in the
main canal.

It will be necessary to provide for an additional water supply for lands under
the high-line canal during the fiscal year 1917. To meet this requirement It is
proposed to construct an auxiliary pumping station on the main canal near the
present pumping plant for lifting water from the main canal into the high-line
canal, which will require the enlarging of the high-line canal, or construct a
gravity canal from the first drop on the main canal to the Intake of the reser-
voir-line canal. This construction will serve about 2,100 acres now lying under
the high-line canal. The proposed pumping plant will obtain power either by
means of an independent steam or gas plant, purchase of power from the Mon-
tana Power Co., or by power developed by the construction of a hydroelectric
plant at the second drop in the main canal, located about 3 miles below the
proposed pumping site.

During the present season the entire system is being utilized for irrigating
purposes.

The United States claims all waste and percolating waters arising within
the project, and proposes to use such waters in connection therewith.

Future operations include the construction of drainage canals for the relief
and protection of project lands from seepage conditions, the replacing of all
remaining timber structures in the first unit with permanent type structures,
and the construction of necessary works to increase the water supply for lands
under the high line canal.

ST7KMABY OF GENERAL DATA FOR HUNTLEY FBOJECT, TO JUNE

30, 1916.

Areas:

Irrigible acreage when project is complete 32, 905. 00

Public land entered June 80. 1916 25, 800. 00

Public land open to entry June 30. 1916 3, 107. 00

Private land June 30, 1916 3, 908. 00

Acreage service could have supplied season of 1915 30, 826. 00

Addition in fiscal year 1916 2,079.00

Estimated acreage service can supply July 1, 1917 32, 905. 00

Acreage actually irrigated season of 1915 18, 203. 00

Acreage cropped under irrigation season of 1915.^.....^.. 18. 183. 00



Digitized by



Google



196 FIFTEENTH ANITUAIj BEPOBT OF BBCLiU£ATION SEBVICB.

Crops:

Value of irrigated crops season of 1915 $535, 863. 00

Value of irrigated crops per acre cropped $29. 41

Finances:

Estimated cost of completed project $1, 755, 348. 00

Total construction cost to June 30, 1916 $1, 472, 862. 44

Per cent complete June 30, 1916 83. 9

Appropriation for fiscal year 1917, total $160, 000. 00

Allotment for construction fiscal year 1917 $102, 000. 00

Estimated per cent complete June 30, 19171 89. 7

Announced construction charges per acre $30, $45, $50, $60

Appropriation fiscal year 1916 $150, 000. 00

Increase under 10 per cent provision of act-. 4, 000. 00

Total appropriation $154, 000. 00

Expenditures during fiscal year, chargeable to 1916 appro-
Won—

Disbursements $119, 054. 04

Transfers 7, 467.. 82

$126, 521. 86



Begistered liabilities chargeable to 1916
appropriation : 16, 042. 57



$142, 564. 43



Unencumbered balance July 1, 1916 $11, 435. 57



Repayments :

Construction charges —

Accrued to June 30, 1916 $269, 719. 61

CoUected to June 30, 1916 $264. 394. 82

Uncollected June 30, 1916 $5, 324. 79

Operation and maintenance charges (public notice) —

Accrued to June 30, 1916 $122, 465. 60

Collected to June 30, 1916 $114,786.77

Uncollected June 30, 1916 $7, 678. 83

Water rental charges-
Accrued to June 30, 1916 . $344. 46

Collected to June 30, 1916 $281. 62

Uncollected June 30, 1916 $62. 84

Drainage:

Estimated acreage damaged by seepage to June 30, 1916- 2,000

Miles of drains built to June 30, 1916:

Open 11.57

Closed 38. 02



Total -.: : 49.59

Estimated acreage protected by drains built to June

30, 1916 17, 000

Estimated acreage to be protected by authorized system— 24, 000
Expended, to June 30, 1916, on drainage works, completed

and uncompleted $382, 888. 59

HISTOBY OF CONGTBUCTIOK AND ENGINEEBING FEATUBES.
MAIN AND HIGH LINE CANALS.

The Huntley Main Canal, with a capacity of 400 second- feet at the
intake heads on the south side of Yellowstone River about 2 miles
above Huntley, Mont., and extends northeast a distance of about
30 miles, diverging not more than 4 miles from the river channel.
Division 1 extends from Yellowstone River alon^ the bluffs south of
the river to station 126, a distance of about 2.2 miles.



Digitized by



Google



MONTANA, HUNTLEY PROJECT. 197

Proposals for the construction of division 1 of the main canal were
opened on June 28, 1905, but the successful bidders refused to under-
take the construction. The work was again advertised, the original
plans having been changed to include an additional length of tun-
nels. Proposals were opened and a contract for the work was
awarded on January 16, 1906. Excavation was begun in March,
1906, but was carried on slowly. The tunnels were completed on
May 26, 1907, and the final work on the contract was completed on
January 15, 1908.

Division 2 of the main canal follows the general direction of the
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad eastward to within 3 miles
of Ballantine. The first three-fourths of a mile on this division is
m thorough cut from 8 to 17 feet deep, and the remainder is located
approximately on the economic contour. The location of the canal
crosses the original channel of Pryor Creek eight times, and to avoid
danger from the waters of this stream a new channel for the creek
was cut to carry the water over the main canal in a direct line 1,500
feet in length to Yellowstone River. Proposals were opened June
28, 1905. The successful bidders refused to execute contracts and
a second award for the construction of division 2 was made on No-
vember 6, 1906. During the winter of 1906-^ the contractor erected
en Armstrong steam excavator, with which work was begun on the
upper end of the division in April, 1906. Excavation with scrapers
and teams was begun at about the same time, and the work was
completed on May 1, 1907. Work on the new Pryor Creek channel,
which was included in the contract, was begun about April 1, 1906,
and continued to June 22, 1906. A needle dam was then built, and
the creek was turned into the new channel on June 15, 1906.

Division 3 of the main canal extends from about 3 miles west of
Ballantine eastward along the general course of the Chicago, Bur-
lington & Quincy Railroad to 1 mile northeast of Ballantine, where
are located a 34- foot drop and a power plant which develops power
for pumping about 66 second-feet of water from the main canal into
a high-lme canal. From the pumping plant the main canal con-
tinues in a northeasterly direction for about 10 miles to Lost Boy
Creek, near the town of tompeys Pillar. The high-line canal, which
is also included in division 3, is about 7 miles long and extends
easterly from the pumpinj^ plant. Proposals were opened June 28,
1905, and the successful bidders refusing to execute contracts, a sec-
ond award was made for the construction of division 3. The con-
tractors, however, failed to begin work within a reasonable time, and
the contract was suspended and the work readvertised. Proposals
were opened on June 20, 1906, and a contract was awarded soon after
that date. Work was be^n by the contractor on August 1, 1906,
and was continued in a satisfactory manner to completion in Decem-
ber, 1907.

The pumping station, gates and guides for the headworks and
wasteways on division 1, all concrete structures on divisions 2 and
3 of the main canal, together with two steel highway bridges, and
120,000 pounds of steel for concrete reinforcement, were included in
proposals opened on June 28, 1905. A contract was executed soon
after the openinjz of proposals^ and the work was commenced in
October, 1905. Changes in design of the power plant made it ad-



Digitized by



Google



198 FIFTEENTH ANNUAL BEPOET OP BECLAMATION SEBVIOB.

visable to draw new plans for this structure and to request new pro-
posals for its construction. The remainder of the work under the
structures contract was carried on satisfactorily and was completed
June 1, 1907.

Extension of main and high-line canals. — ^To bring all of the
lands within the project under irrigation it was necessary to extend
the main and hign-line canals and construct a lateral system there-
under, opening to entry the second and third units.

The second unit, containing 1,852.80 acres of irrigable land, lies
under the extension of the main canal. The third unit, containing
2,079 acres of irrigable land, lies under the extension of the high-
line canal.

Surveys for the extension of the main and high-line canals were
begun in August, 1910, and were continued during the spring and
summer of 1911. On May 25, 1911, a board of engineers consisting
of H. N. Savage, W. H. Sanders, C. P. Williams, and C. D. Howe,
recommended to the director that the extension be constructed and
that advertisement of the work be made at the earliest practicable
date. Specifications No. 193 were prepared and advertisement made
July 25, 1911. On September 1, 1911, bids were opened at Huntlev,
Mont., by a board of engineers consisting of H. N. Savace, W. H.
Sanders, and C. D. Howe; eight bids were received. Mr. J. E.
Hilton was low bidder on schedules 1 to 6, inclusive. Mr. J. S.
Hilend was low bidder on schedule 7. Two unsatisfactory bids were
received on schedule 8 and all bids on this schedule were rejected.
On October 21, 1911, contract No. 410, earthwork, was awarded to
J. E. Hilton, and on October 10, 1911, contract Na 413, structures,
was awarded to J. S. Hilend.

Construction work under contracts Nos. 410 and 413 was begun in
October and November, 1911, and the work completed on June 22 and
July 27, 1912, respectively. The specifications provided that the work
should be completed on or before June 1, 1912, and owing to the fail-
ure of the contractors completing the work on time liauidated dam-
ages covering engineering expense after June 1 were deducted from
the final estimates. The final contract claim, contract No. 410,
amounted to $34,670.59 ; contract No. 413 amounted to $29,699.27.
The total cost to the United States for work performed under these
contracts amounted to $85,526.43.

On July 1, 1912, a severe storm occurred. Hail and rain fell for
a period of 45 minutes. During this period 5f inches of water fell
in a washtub. As a result of the storm the canal embankments in
many places were washed away, a number of the principal struc-
tures were wrecked, and a large number of the smaller structures
were washed out. All structures suffered some damage. New
structures were designed to replace those destroyed by the storm.
Damages to structures for which new designs were not made were
repaired by the structural contractor. On August 9 Government
forces were organized to repair the flood damages to earthwork and
replace structures destroyed by the storm. This work was completed
June 6, 1913. A small crew during the summer was employed priming
canals and cleaning gravel out of cross drainage culverts.

On May 13, 1912, a contract was entered into with the Northern
Pacific Railway Co. covering the construction of lateral crossings



Digitized by



Qoo^^



MONTANA, HUNTLEY PROJECT. 199

underneath the company's tracks. Work was started on these struc-
tures in May, 1913, and was completed in January, 1914. The total
cost to the United States for performing this work amounted to
$4,968.74.

During November and December, 1914, the work included in
schedule 8, Specifications 193, was accomplished by Government
forces.

The laterals constructed on this extension were in most instances
much steeper than the soil could stand without serious washing.
It was necessary that these grades be reduced and that some n^w
ditches be built to irrigate farm units not taken care of by the system
as constructed. Kepairs were also made on constructea canals and
laterals. This construction work was begun with Government forces
May 18, 1915^ and completed on July 17, 1915.

The extension to the high-line canal was not operated for two years
after it had been constructed, consequently a good deal of sedimeut
during that time was washed into the canal fr6m surface run-off.
In May and Jime, 1916, the sediment was removed by Government
forces.

The total expenditure on canal extension account work accom-
plished by United States forces amounted to approximately $70,349.20.

DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM.

The distribution system of the Huntley project consists of about
268 miles of laterals and sublaterals. Proposals for the excavation
and structures on this system were opened on December 15, 1905,
and a contract was executed on January 2, 1906. Work was begun
by the contractors early in January, 1906. The bids were made ]ust
previous to a great increase in the cost of construction work, and
the contractors lost heavily in consequence. On November 16, 1906,
satisfactory progress not having been made, the contract was sus-
pended, and the work was continued by Government forces, being
completed October 31, 1907.

The reinforcing and structural steel and the gates, guides, and
lifting devices for the distribution system were furnished under a
separate contract, the required material being delivered during the
summer of 1906.

PUMPING PLANT.

The pumping plant is located about 1 mile east of Bnllantine,
where there is a fall of about 34 feet in the main canal. The' plant
contains two pumping units, each consisting of a vertical turbine
actuating a 20-inch centrifugal pump mounted on the same shaff.
The units work under a power head of 33^ feet and a pumping lift
of 48i feet, have a capacity of 28 second-feet each, and are practically
automatic in operation.

Proposals for the construction of the pumping plant were opened
on Augjust 7. 1906. No formal proposal was received for schedule 1,
embracing tne construction of the reinforced-concrete building and
pressure pipes, and the work under this schedule was executed by
Government forces. The work was begun on October 23, 1906, and



Digitized by



Google



200 PIFTEBNTH ANNUAL BEPOBT OF BBOLAMATION SERVICE.

was completed on November 16, 1907. A contract was executed for
schedule 2, including the pumping units, pipes, valves, and head
gates, and the machinery was delivered July 8, 1907. Tests made in
September. 1908, July, 1909, and October, 1909, were unsatisfactory,
but after cnanges a satisfactory test was made July 18, 1910.

TELEPHONE SYSTEM.

The telephone system of the Huntley project consists of ^.7 miles
of two-wire, metallic-circuit line. Proposals for. the construction of
the telephone system were opened on December 15, 1905. The con-
tract for the work was awarded soon after this date and the installa-
tion of the system was completed on May 20, 1906.

GOKSTBUCTIOK BXTBINa FISCAL YEAS.



Online LibraryUnited States. Bureau of ReclamationAnnual report - Bureau of Reclamation → online text (page 24 of 94)