University of Arizona.

Announcement for the academic year online

. (page 38 of 53)
Online LibraryUniversity of ArizonaAnnouncement for the academic year → online text (page 38 of 53)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Wednesday Thanksgiving Recess begins

Monday Instruction resumed.

Thursday Holiday Recess begins.

1910.

Monday Instruction resumed.

Saturday First Semester ends.

Monday Second Semester begins

Sunday Baccalaureate Discourse.

Monday Exhibition Military Dept.

Wednesday Commencement.



Digitized by



Google ,



BOARD OP RBOBRT8.

Bz-Offldo.

HON. JOSEPH H. KIBBE Y Phoenix

Governor of the Territory,

HON. KIRKE TONNER MOORE LL. B Phoenix

Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Appointed by the Governor.

Term expires.

HON. MERRILL P. FREEMAN, Tucson August, 1909

Chancellor.

HON. GEORGE J. ROSKRUGE, Tucson August, 1909

Secretary.

HON. CHARLES H. BAYLESS, A. M., Tucson. August, 1909
Treasurer.

HON. A. V. GROSSETTA, Tucson August, 1911

ReguUr meetings on the 10th of each month.



Digitized by



Googk



OFFICERS OF INSTRUCTION, INVESTIGATION
AND ADMINISTRATION.

FACULTY.

KENDRIC CHARLES BABCOCK. Ph. D.

B. L.. 1889. Minnesota: A. M., 1895. Harvanl; Ph. D., 1896. HanraxtL

President; Professor of History and Economics. 1903 ♦

WILLIAM PHIPPS BLAKE. A. M.

Ph. B., 1852. Yale: A. M.. Dartmouth: D. Sc.. 1907. Pennsylvania:
LL. D.. 1908. Arizona.

Professor of Geology, Emeritus. 1895.
ROBERT HUMPHREY FORBES, M. S.

B. S.. 1892. M. S., 1895. IlUnois.

Director and Chemist, Agricultural Experiment Station.
1894.

tFRANK NELSON GUILD, M. S.

B. S.. 1894. M. S.. 1903. Vennont.
Professor of Chemistry and Mineralogy. 1897.

GEORGE EDSON PHILIP SMITH, C. E.
B. S., 1897, C. E.. 1899.'. Vennont.
Irrigation Engineer, Agricultural Experiment Station. 1900

JOHN JAMES THORNBER, A. M.

B. S.. South Dakota (Agricultural); B. S.. 1897. A. M.. 1901. Nebiaaka.
Professor of Biology; Botanist, Agricultural Experiment
Station. 1901.

tSAMUEL VICTOR McCLURE.

First Lieutenant. U. 8. A.. 1896, West Pdnt.
Professor of Military Science and Tactics. 1904.

EDWIN MORTIMER BLAKE, Ph. D.

Engineer of Mines. 1890: Ph. D.. 1893. Colambia.
Professor of Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering
1904.

*Dates fotlowin« titles indicate appointment to service in the UnivcDrfty.
tLcavc of absence, 1908-9.
i Resigned. November. 1908.



Digitized by



Googk



CYRUS FISHER TOLMAN, Jr.. B. S.
B.'S.. 1896. Chkaco.
Professor of Geology and Mining Engineering. 1905.

WILLIAM WHEELER HENLEY, A. B.

A. B.. 1905. Leland Stanfofd, Jr.
Professor of Mechanic Arts. 1905.

ANDREW ELLICOTT DOUGLASS, Sc. D.
A. B., 1889; Sc D.. 1908. Trinity.
Professor of Physics and Astronomy. 1906.

ALBERT EARLE VINSON. Ph. D.

B. S.. 1901, Ohio (State); Ph. D., 1905, Goettiii<eii.
Biochemist, Agricultural Experiment Station. 1905.

CHARLES ALFRED TURRELL, A. M.

B. S.. 1896. Nebraska; A. M.. 1901. Misiouii.
Professor of Modem Languages. 1904.

LESLIE ABRAM WATERBURY, C. E.

B. S., 1902. C. B., 1905. IlUnoit.
Professor of Civil Engineering. 1907.

ROBERT RHEA GOODRICH, M. S.

B. S.. (Mmioc). 1885: B. S.. (Mechanical Bnc). 1901; M. 8.. 1902. ICassachittctts
Institute of Technoloey.

Professor of Metallurgy. 1907.

ROBERT WAITMAN CLOTHIER. M. S.

B. S.. 1897; If. S.. 1899. Kansas (Agricultunl).
Professor of Agriculture and Conductor of Farmers' Insti
tutes. 1907.

J. feLIOT COIT, Ph. D.

B. S.. North Carolina: M. S. 1905; Ph. D.. 1907. Conett.
Horticulturist, Agricultural Experiment Station. 1907.



Digitized by



Googk



SRNBST SUTHERLAND BATES, Ph. D.

A. B.. 1902, A. M.. 1903. Hichlgsa: Ph. D., 1901,
Professor of English. 1908.



HIRAM McL. POWELL.

Captain. U. S. A.. 1890. West Point.
Professor of Military Science and Tactics, 1909.

WILLIAM BURNETT McCALLUM. Ph. D.

B. S. A.. 1894. Toronto: Pb. D.. 1904. Chicago.
Associate Botanist, Agricultural Experiment Station. 1907.

FREDERICK W. WILSON, B, S.

B. S.. 1905. Kansas (Agricultural).
Associate Animal Husbandman, Agricultural Experiment
Station. 1905.

WILLIAM GEORGE MEDCRAFT, A. M.

A. B., 1898. A. M.. 1904. Kansas Wesleyan.
Assistant Professor of Mathematics. 1905.

RAYMOND C. BENNER, M. S.

B. S., 1902, MinnesoU: M. S.. 1905. Wisconsin.

Assistant Professor of Chemistry. 1906.

HENRY ALFRED ERNEST CHANDLER, B. S.
B. S., 1905/.Nofthwe9teni.
Assistant Professor of History and Economics. 1908.

WILLIAM HORACE ROSS, Ph D

B. S.. 1903; M. S. .1904. Dalhousie; Ph. D.. 1907, Chicago.
Assistant Chemist, Agricultural Experiment Station. 1907.

FRANK CALEB KELTON, B. S. /

B. S., 1904. Arizona.
Assistant Engineer, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1909.



Digitized by



Googk



MARION CUMMINGS STANLEY, B. L
B. L., 1900, Califonla.
Instructor in Philosophy. 1902.

ESTELLB LUTRELL, A. B.

A. B.. 1896. Chicaso.
Instructor in English; Librarian. 1904.

FREDERICK EDWIN TALMAGE, B. L.
B. L.. 1903, CaUfoniia.
Instructor in Stenography and Bookkeeping. 1904

LEVONA PAYNE NEWSOM. Ph. D.

A. B.. 1892. Ph. D.. 1895. Pnnkllii.
Instructor in Latin. 1905.

*OPAL lONE TILLMAN, B. S.

B. S.. 1905: M. S. 1906. Ohio SUte.
Instructor in Domestic Science and Botany. 1906

IDA CHRISTINA REID, Ph. B.

Ph. B.. 1906, Axizona.
Instructor in History and Mathematics. 1906.

CAROLINE BATES SINGLETON, A. B.
A. B.. 1906. Wellesley.
Instructor in English. 1908.

BTHELBERT WEBB WALDRON, A. B.
A. B., 1905. Michigan.
Instructor in English. 1908.

WILLIAM ARTHUR TARR, B. S. (Mining).

B. S. (Mechanical Bng.). 1904, OUahoma; B. S. (Mhihiff). 1908. Aftsona.
Instructor in Geology and Mining. 1908,



Maich 9, 1909.

Digitized by



Googk



HBLBN JANB ALDRtCH, A. U,

A. B.. 1904. Minnesota: A. M.. 190$. Colorado.
Instructor in Modem Languages. 1908.

PRANK LEWIS KLEEBERGER, B. S.

B. S.. 1908. California.
Instructor in Physical Training and Director of the Gym*
naaum. 1908.

ELIZABETH ELLIN WOOD ROBERTS, A. B.
A. B., 1906. Western Reserve.
Instructor in German. 1908.

MABEL A. GUILD.

Instructor in Latin. 1908.

♦MRS. W. J. KIRKPATRICK.
Instructor in Music. 1909.



DANIEL TREMBLY MAC DOUGAL. Ph. D.

ector of the Department of Botanical Research of th
tion of Washington.)

Honorary Lecturer on Heredity and Evolution.



(Director of the Department of Botanical Research of the Camesie Institti-
tion of Washington.)



1. 1909.

Digitized by LjOOQK



ADHUnSTRAHVB OFFICBKS AND ASSISTA1IT8.



FREDERICK EDWIN TALMAGB, B. L.

Secretary of the University; Head of North HalL 1904.
HERBERT BROWN.

Curator of theTerritorial Museum.
LURENA MERRIMAN.

Preceptress of Young Women. 1907
ARTHUR W. OLCOTT. M. D.

Medical Examiner for Men. 1905.

FRANK LEWIS KLEEBERGER.
Head of South HaU. 1907.

WILBUR OLIVER HAYES.

Secretary of the Agricultural Experiment Station.

MILES M. CARPENTER, B. S.

Clerk in President's Office. 1907,

WALTER M. COLE.

Superintendent of Buildings and Grotmds. 1907
MISS MABEL A. GUILD.

Assistant Librarian. 1908.
MISS B. S. CLAYPOOL.

Assistant in the Library. 1909.
LAWRENCE A. CALLOWAY.

Assistant in Chemistry. 1908.
FLETCHER M. DOAN.

Assistant in Metallurgy.
WILLIAM R. HARRIMAN.

Assistant in Physics.
ERNEST O. BLADES.

Assistant in Mechanic Arts.



Digitized by



Googk



STAIIDINO COMMITTEES.
1908-1909.



The President is ex-officio member of all committees.

Executive.
Professors Forbes, Tolman^ B. M. Blake.

Regiftimtion and Claadfication.
Professors £. M. Blake, Waterbury, Medcraft, Chandler

library.

Professors Tolman, Turrell, Miss Lutrell.

Public Exerdaes.
Professor Medcraft, Miss Lutrell

Co-operative Aseociation.
Mr. Talmage.

Rhodei Scholanriiip.
President Babcock, Professors Guild, Bates



Digitized by



Googk



UNIVERSITY OF ARIEONA



established by Act off ths Leftislatlva Asssnblyp tll85r
OpsB to •tudantSy Ostebar, taof .



PURPOSE AlID OROAHIZATIOH.

The University of Arizona is an integral part of the
system of public education established by and for the
Territory, and aims, as the head of such system, to fill
the same position as that occupied by the State Univer-
sities in such states as California and Wisconsin. Its
general organization is in accordance with the Act of
Congress of July 2, 1862, known as the Morrill Act,
creating the "Land Grant Colleges." The details of
its organization and government are regulated by the
Act of the Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Ari-
zona, passed in 1885 and embodied, with amendments
in the Revised Statutes of Arizona Territory, 1901,
which vests the government of the institution in a cor-
poration styled the Board of Regents of the University
of Arizona, consisting of the Governor and Superin-
tendent of Public Instruction of the Territory, ex-
officio, and four other members appointed by the Gov-
ernor for a term of four years.

In creating the University, the Legislative Assembly
wisely followed the example of the great states of Wis-
consin, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, and California,
in unif3dng under one management the various schools
and institutions of higher learning or investigation in
Arizona, — the coUeges of liberal arts, the schools ol



Digitized by



Googk



12 UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA.

mining and engineering, the agricultural college, and the
agricultural experiment station, which in some States
have been widely and completely separated. No pro-
fessional schools of law, medicine, dentistry, or music
have been established. In compliance with the pro-
visions of the Act creating it, the University consists of

I. The College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts.

II. The School of Mines.

III. The Agricultural Experiment Station.

IV. The Preparatory Department.

The Normal Department, authorized by the statute,
has not yet been oiganized. The Preparatory Depart-
ment, which is really a first class manual training high
school with a four years course, will gradually disap-
pear as the educational system of the Territory is de-
veloped by the establishment of efficient high schools,
hut no date is set for abolishing even the first year of
this preparatory course.

The University in all departments is open to prop-
erly qualified persons of both sexes. Through the aid
received from the United States/and from the Territory,
it is enabled to offer its privileges to residents and non-
residents, with only very moderate charges. The num-
ber of students in any one class or section of a class is
kept below twenty, in order that each student may
receive the individual attention of the instructors and
thus gain the fuU advantage derivable from a small
school.

The purpose of the University of Arizona is, in the
language of the organic law, "to provide the inhabi-



Digitized by



Googk



PURPOSE AND ORGANIZATION. 13

tants of this Territory with the means of acquiring a
thorough knowledge of the various branches of litera-
ture, science and the arts," and so far as possible a
technical education adapted to the development of the
peculiar resources of Ari2x>na. In furtherance of this
latter purpose, instruction is provided especially in
subjects fundamental to agriculture, the mechanic arts,
mining and metallurgy. The University, by the
nature of its situation, frankly lays its strongest em-
phasis upon the course in mining engineering. It is,
in reality, a great mining laboratory, surrounded as it
is on all sides by great mines. Some of these mines de-
veloped on a large scale are within a few miles of the
dty and the number and magnitude of such enterprises
are steadily increasing. Probably no University in the
United States offers such line advantages to the students
of mining engineering who desire to see the actual
operation of great mines, or the development of great
enterprises, while carrying on the theoretical and ex-
perimental work of the mining course.

The advantages in civil engineering are hardly less
noteworthy, for Tucson is not only a division point on
the main line of the Southern Pacific railroad, with
laige shops, roundhouses, and engineering offices, but
it has the administrative and engineering headquarters
for five of the subsidiary or allied lines of the Southern
Pacific system in Arizona and in Sonora, Mexico, com-
monly known as the Randolph lines, including the great
West Coast Line which will reach from Guaymas to
Mazatlan and Guadalajara, in Mexico. All of these lines



Digitized by



Googk



14 UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA.

are undergoing extensive expansion and rebuilding,
and so furnish excellent opportunities for observation
and vacation employment for students of civil engin-
eering.

LOCATION AND CLIMAT£

The University of Arizona is located at Tucson, a
city of eighteen thousand inhabitants, on the main line
of the Southern Pacific railway, 312 miles west of El
Paso, Texas, and 500 miles east of Los Angeles, Cal.
The city lies in a broad flat valley at an elevation of
2,400 feet above sea level and is surrounded by moun-
tains. Its dry, mild, and equable climate has made
Tucson a famous winter resort unsurpassed for heilth-
fulness.

The winter climate is especially good; the tempera-
ture is cool and strengthening but not severe, the low-
est temperature recorded during the average year be-
ing about twenty degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. Lit-
tle rain falls during the winter; fogs are all but un-
known; cloudy days are rare. The percentage of sun-
shine throughout the winter is greater than that re-
corded at any other place in the United States. Owing
to the extreme dryness of the air the highest tempera-
tures known are less oppressive to the senses and less
dangerous to the health than the summer heats of the
upper Mississippi Valley States. The total amount of
rainfall averages less than twelve inches

These advantages insure to students a comfortable
education and a wide range of out-door sports and
recreations throughout the college year.



Digitized by



Googk



BUH^DINGS. 15

The University Campus, consisting of fifty-five
acres, is situated upon high ground about a mile from
the business center of the city with which it is connected
by an excellent electric street-car line. On every side
it commands a view of mountain scenery of remarkable
extent and grandeur. The buildings are lighted by
electricity furnished by the city plant.

An abundant supply of unusually good water for
household, laboratory and irrigation purposes is drawn
from a large well on the Campus from a depth of one
hundred and twenty feet, thus securing immunity from
the dangers of a contaminated water supply. The
Campus has a complete sewer system connecting all
the buildings, with one exception, with the dty mains
at the University gate.

The Campus, carefully laid out in drives, lawns
and gardens, with a large number of palms, olive, ash,
umbrella, pepper, bagota and Cottonwood trees has
the air of a well kept park.

BUILDINGS.

The main building, University Hall, the oldest of
the group, is 200 x 150 feet, two stories in height, the
first of gray stone, the second of red brick. It is com-
pletely surrounded by a wide two-story veranda. The
building contains recitation rooms, laboratories and
apparatus rooms of various departments, an assembly
room, and the office, laboratories and library of the
Agricultural Experiment Station.

The library and museum building is a handsome
structure of red brick and Bedford sandstone, with a



Digitized by



Googk



16 UNIVERSITY OP ARIZONA.

massive tile roof. The interior finish is in natural oak
and pine. The library reading room, on the second
floor, is a large, well-lighted room, beautifully furnished
with heavy solid oak reading ables, desks and wall
cases. The stack room at the rear is fitted up with the
most modem steel stacks. The Museum occupies part
of the first floor and the west half of the second floor.
Fine oak and plate glass cases constitute the furnishings.
The offices of the president and secretary of the Univer-
sity, three lecture rooms for the departments of geology,
mathematics, English and history, work rooms for the
library and museum, and a laboratory for the depart-
ment of geology are on the first floor.

Science Hall, a new building, of architecture har-
monious with the Library, which it faces, was completed
in April of this year, within the appropriation of $40,000
made by the Territorial Legislature of 1907. Another
appropriation of $12,000was made in March for furnish-
ing and equipping the building, which will thus be ready for
occupancy in September. The building, 145 x 60 feet,
is of three stories, the first to be devoted to physics,
the second to chemistry and mineralogy, and the third
to botany and biology. The roomy attic and a super-
structure on the roof are used as an astronomical obser-
vatory. The forty rooms provided by this Science Hall
will give excellent accommodations in place of the
crowded quarters endured by several departments in
recent years in University Hall, and the removal of
these departments to the new building will give the
Agricultural Experiment Station much needed space
for its expanding work.



Digitized by



Googk



BUH^DINGS. J 7

North Hall, a dormitory two stories in height,
btiilt of gray stone of fine quality, is occupied by the
college men. Besides the parlor, and rooms of the in-
structor in chaige, it contains seventeen rooms, each
large enough to accommodate two students, besides
bath and toilet rooms.

South Hall, a large brick building containing forty
rooms, besides bath and toilet rooms and store rooms,
is the dormitory mainly for preparatory students. It
is heated by a hot-water system. It will accommodate
seventy-five students.

West Cottage, with its new four-room annex, is
the dormitory for young women, — a two story brick
house with wide porches, surrounded with vines, shrub-
bery, lawns and trees.

The Dining Hall, built of red brick, provides ample
boarding accommodations for all persons living on the
Campus.

The Shop and Assay Building is a laige, substan-
tial brick structure. It contains a commodious drawing
room for mechanical and free-hand drawing, a large
laboratory for foige work, machine practice and carpen-
try, and a lecture room, instrument room, and material-
testing laboratory for the department of civil engineering.
Two other rooms are used for lockers, and for the motor
and engine. The assay laboratory and commercial
assaying department occupy five rooms fully equipped
with a large melting furnace, the necessary mufHe fur-
naces, and other accessories for making complete and
accurate assays.



Digitized by



Googk



18 UNIVERSITY OP ARIZONA.

The Mill or Mining Machinery building, located to
the northeast of the main group of buildings, is a plain
wooden structure in which are placed the stamp-mills,
jigs, concentrating tables, separators, etc., necessary for
the mining laboratory.

Herring Hall, the gymnasium, is a very substantial
high building, 40 x 80 feet, constructed of red brick
and white plaster. It was erected in 1903, the gift of
Professor James Douglas and his associates of the
Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company, through
Colonel William Herring, after whom it was named, at
the suggestion of Professor Douglas.

The pump house and mechanical engineering lab-
oratory was built in 1905. By the use of brick, cement
and iron it is practically fire proof, thus insuring safety
to the well and pumps supplying the University with
water for all its uses .

Two two-story brick residences are occupied by
the President of the University and by the Director of
the Agricultural Experiment Station.

Other buildings are the cottage occupied by the
Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, three green-
houses, a brick bam, and various smaller out-buildings
used for shops and store rooms.

MAIinrEirANCE.
The University is maintained by funds appropriated
by the United States and by the Territory of Arizona.
Fifty-seven sections of very valuable pine land in Coco-
nino County have been set apart by the Federal Govern-
ment for the benefit of the University, but title and con-



Digitized by



Googk



HAINTBNANCB. 19

trol of the land does not pass to the Board of Regents
until the Territory is admitted as a State. In the mean-
time only a very small sum is annually received from the
leases of this land.

By the. provisions of the Morrill Act of 1890, the
University receives annually from the United States
the sum of $25,000 "to be applied only to instruction
in agriculture, the mechanic arts, the English language
and the various branches of mathematical, physical,
natural and economic science, with special reference
to their applications in the industries of life, and to the
facilities for such instruction." This Morrill Fund is
to be ultimately duplicated by the Nelson Fund, cre-
ated by the Act of March 4, 1907, which appropriated
$5,000 for the year beginning July 1, 1907, and provided
for an annual increase of $5,000 until the total received
by each State should be $50,000 per year from the two
funds. The University receives from the same source,
for the support of the Agricultural Experiment Station,
$15,000 yearly from the Hatch Act of 1887; the Adams
Act of 1906, for the current year, appropriates $11,000
which is to be increased annually by $2,000 until it
also produces $15,000, giving the Station ultimately
$30,000 per year.

The appropriations by the Territorial Legislative
Assembly of 1909 were $35,500 per year, for two years,
for maintenance; $13,100 for the work of the Agricul-
tural Experiment Station, and $23,000 for improvements.

For the year 1909 the El Paso & Southwestern
system has given the University $2,000 for the work of



Digitized by



Googk



20 UNIVBRSITY OP ARIZONA.

the Agricultaral Experiment Station in carrying on
ex{)eriments in dry-farming in Cochise County.

The University also receives annually, from miscel-
laneous sources such as matriculation and tuition fees,
cent of cottages, damage to University property, etc.,
about $1,500. The receipts for board, lights, etc.,
amount to about $16,000 per year.

BNDOWMBNT.

By the munificence of Doctor James Douglas, of
New York, the University received in June, 1908, **the
sum of $10,000 ♦ ♦ ♦ the annual interest or in-
come from which is to be annually applied, devoted,
expended and used by said Board of Regents, or its
successors in trust, for the purchase of instruments
of precision and research, or special apparatus, for scien-
tific instruction and education in the department of
mineralogy and School of Mines of the University of
Arizona, ♦ * ♦ but no part of said fund or income
h to be used or applied to the purchase of mining or
metallurgical machinery or supplies for said department
or for the use of the students in the chemical or metal-
lurgical laboratories.'' The fund thus created has been
named by the Board the Douglas Endowment Fund.

The Philo Sherman Bennett Scholarship is endowed
by the gift of $500 to the University in 1905, through the
agency of Mrs. William Jennings Bryan, the income to
be used in aiding young women to secure an education.



Digitized by



Googk



EQUIPMENT 21

EQUIPMENT.

LIBRARY.

The library contains 14,000 bound volumes and
12,000 pamphlets, and is open for the use of all students.
Of these volumes a collection of complete sets of scien-
tific and literary periodicals, to which additions are made
yearly, is of special service in reference work. The
library was made a regular depository of United States
Government documents in 1907.

The books are classed by the decimal system and
shelved in numerical order with a further author di-
vision according to the Cutter numbers. The catalogue
is the usual dictionary card catalogue of authors, sub-
jects and titles in one alphabetical arrangement. Li-
brary of Congress cards are used whenever obtainable.
The Reading Room is supplied with about 600 books of
general reference which may be consulted by the stu-
dents without any formality. The following current
periodicals and newspapers are on file for the use of
students and general readers in the Reading Room :

PERIODICAI^ I<IST.

^Advocate of Peace, American Institute of Mining

American Architect and Build- Engineers, Transactions,

ing News, American Journal of Phar-

American Blacksmith, macy,

American Chemical Journal, American Journal of Science,

American Chemical Society, American Journal of Sociology,

Journal, American Machinist,

* American Economist, American Magazine,

American Historical Review,

^Donated.



Digitized by



Googk



22



UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA.



American Mathematical So-
ciety, Bulletin,

American Mathematical So-
ciety, Transactions,

American Naturalist,



Online LibraryUniversity of ArizonaAnnouncement for the academic year → online text (page 38 of 53)