Early Scenes in Church History online

. (page 5 of 8)
Online LibraryVariousEarly Scenes in Church History → online text (page 5 of 8)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

stricken with the cholera, and knowing that Elder Evans was in the
village he sent his brother to beg of him to come and cure him. Brother
Evans, and a man named John Nicholas who was staying with him, got out
of bed and went to the sick man, and found him, doubled up with the
cholera and in great agony. The Elder informed him, in answer to his
appeal for relief, that the blessings of the gospel were not for men
of his class, who were determined to oppose the work of God, but for
the Saints. He said, "I will administer to you on one condition only,
and that is that you repent of your sins and covenant with the Lord to
forsake them and embrace the gospel if He spares your life."

"But," said the preacher, writhing with pain, "I have an appointment
out to preach for my own church."

"You must forego that," said Elder Evans, "and preach such doctrines no
more, or I will not administer to you."

The sick man agreed, and the brethren placed their hands upon his
head, rebuked the disease and prayed for his recovery, and he was
immediately healed. The next day he was baptized, and afterwards became
an efficient preacher of the true gospel, endured much persecution for
his religion in that country, emigrated to Utah with a handcart company
and finally apostatized when Johnson's army came here.

Brother Evans and a man named Thomas Harris were upon one occasion
called on to administer to a young girl who was so convulsed with the
cholera that she did not look like a human being, and so near dead
that she was black. A number of Saints were present at the time, whose
faith was centered on her recovery, and several unbelievers were also
there. The Elders administered to her, and while their hands were upon
her head all signs of the disease vanished, and she was immediately
restored to health.

A rather curious circumstance occurred while Elder Evans was laboring
in North Wales in company with Peter Davis. They were traveling as
usual without purse or scrip, and had been two days without food, when
they entered a village and applied at a store kept by a man named Jones
to try to sell a few tracts with which to procure some food.

On learning what kind of tracts they were, the store-keeper refused
to purchase, and they tramped on. The next place they entered was a
shoe-maker's shop, where they asked the privilege of warming themselves
by the fire, for they were almost frozen, it being extremely cold
weather and the month of February. Some of the shoe-makers became
interested in their conversation and one of them proffered to try and
find a place for them to stay over night. He returned, however, after a
while, to say that the Methodist preacher of that circuit was to occupy
the spare bed which he expected to procure for them. He, therefore,
recommended them to proceed some distance farther till they came to a
farm house, to which he directed them, where he had no doubt they could
get lodgings and food.

The Elders trudged along, but when they arrived at the farm house it
was evident that the family had retired for the night, for there was no
light to be seen. They noticed a barn, however, standing convenient to
the roadside, which seemed to offer shelter for them at least, and they
entered it and burrowed into a heap of straw they found there. They
lay in that position for some time, shivering with the cold and trying
in vain to go to sleep, when suddenly they heard some one outside call
out, "Hello! you men; come out here!" Their first thought was that some
one had detected them while in the act of seeking shelter in the barn
and informed the police, who were about to arrest them as vagrants.
They, therefore, remained as quiet as possible until the call had been
repeated several times, when they concluded they might as well answer,
whatever might be the consequences. As soon as they inquired what was
wanted, the person informed them that he would find a place for them to
stay if they would come out. Thinking some treachery might be meant,
they declined with thanks, and told him they could get along where they
were. He, however, urged them to go with him, saying he would take them
to a place where they could have a good supper and a comfortable bed
to sleep in. They accordingly came out and accompanied the stranger,
whom they had never seen before, back to the village and to the very
store where they had tried to sell the tracts. There they found a warm
welcome, a good supper and a comfortable bed. But now for the sequel:

A young girl who happened to be in the shoe-shop where they called
and who overheard the conversation, afterwards had occasion to call
at Jones' store, and repeated it to the proprietor's daughter. The
sympathy of the girls was aroused at the thoughts of the two young and
strange preachers seeking lodgings and food that cold night, and when
Miss Jones retired to bed she found it impossible to go to sleep. Her
teeth rattled and she shook and chilled all over although she was in
a comfortable bed and in a warm house. Nor could the family prevent
her from chilling although they did all they could to warm her. In the
midst of her shivering she kept bewailing the fate of the two young
preachers, whom she felt sure would suffer that cold night, and finally
she prevailed upon her brother to go in search of them and bring them
back to their house, that they might have some supper and a comfortable
bed to sleep in.

As soon as her brother had started on his errand of mercy the girl
ceased to chill and, in fact, got up, dressed herself and helped at
preparing supper for the brethren before they arrived. It was not
until the next morning that they learned the secret of the kindness
shown them and saw in what a curious manner the Lord had operated in
preserving them from possible death by freezing and providing them with
the food which they needed so badly.

It was quite a common thing in early days in the Welsh mission for the
power of the devil to be manifested in what were called the Saints'
meetings - that is, testimony or sacramental meetings. The evil one
seemed to be always on the alert to operate through some one, and the
power of the Priesthood invariably had to be exerted to banish the
evil influences from the meeting. Although not apparent at the time,
experience generally proved that the persons through whom the evil
one operated were not serving God as they should do - they were either
doubting the divinity of the principles which they had embraced or
they had broken the sacred covenants which they had made with the
Almighty and gone into transgression. Very frequently, after being
relieved of the evil spirits which possessed them such persons would,
in a spirit of penitence and humility, acknowledge their faults and
ask forgiveness, but occasionally persons would be found who were not
willing to do this, but continued in sin and were a source of trouble
and disturbance to the Saints whenever they happened to be present
at their meetings; and it sometimes occurred that the spirits which
possessed them were so stubborn and determined not to yield that the
brethren really found it difficult to cope with them.

In the latter part of the year 1848, the Elders laboring in the
Merthyr Tydvil branch had a great deal of trouble with two young women
of that branch who very frequently were possessed of evil spirits.
They were such a source of annoyance in the meetings that, on the
day of a general conference which was to be held about the close of
the year, they were cautioned, by Elder Dan Jones who then presided
there, against attending the meeting. To this, however, they paid no
attention, and when the meeting was opened, it was only too apparent
that they were there. In a short time the meeting was in such an
uproar, through the raving and shrieking of those girls, that the
speaker could not be heard. Some of the Elders were immediately sent to
cast the evil spirits out of them, but they failed to do so, and with
difficulty the girls were carried into an adjoining room.

When a presiding Elder has the spirit of his office upon him it is his
privilege to know the proper course to take in any emergency. It is his
privilege to enjoy communion with the Holy Spirit and have the Lord
dictate through him that which will be for the best good of the members
over whom he is set to preside. It is also his privilege to discern by
what spirit the people with whom he is brought in contact are actuated.

It would seem that Elder Dan Jones had the spirit of discernment on
that occasion and was inspired to take the wisest course in dealing
with the girls and the stubborn spirits by which they were possessed.
He was satisfied that they were wilfully sinful, or the spirit of God
would not be withdrawn from them and the devil suffered to exercise
such power over them. He therefore proposed that they be cut off from
the Church on account of their transgressions, and the Saints assembled
voted unanimously to that effect. No sooner had they done so than the
evil spirits left the girls and they became rational. When they were no
longer members of the Church, the devil had no further need to try to
annoy the Saints through them. The result was that the girls afterwards
saw what their sin had brought them to, repented of it and made public
acknowledgement before the Saints, after which they were re-baptized
and were no more troubled by evil spirits.



In numbers of instances in Brother John T. Evans' experience he had
evidence of the judgments of the Almighty being visited upon those who
opposed him.

On one occasion he and another Elder visited a village in
Montgomeryshire, North Wales, to try to effect an opening. They
failed to obtain a house to hold meeting in, but nevertheless they
announced to the inhabitants that they would be back there one week
from that time to preach to them. There seemed to be a strong spirit
of opposition to them there, and on their again visiting the place
and attempting to preach in the street opposite a public house, two
men emerged from the rear of the tavern leading a couple of fractious
and high-spirited horses. They immediately commenced manoeuvering
the animals in the midst of the crowd who had gathered to listen to
the preaching. It was evidently a preconcerted plan to break up the
meeting, and it succeeded, for the people scattered and the Elders were
forced to retire, and as they did so they were followed by a crowd
of roughs who pelted them with stones till they had got clear of the
village. Within two weeks from that time one of the men who had helped
to break up the meeting by leading his horse into the crowd was kicked
by the same animal and died from the effects of it, and the other
man was thrown from his horse and killed. The people of that region
regarded the summary death of these two men as a judgment sent upon
them for opposing the Elders, and they therefore treated them with more
respect afterwards.

Another case occurred in Elder Evans' native place, where he was sent
by Captain Dan Jones to introduce the gospel. An old shoemaker who
had known and been friendly to him from his childhood, on hearing him
preach came out and denounced the doctrine he taught as heretical and
"Mormonism" as a delusion. He was so bitter that he even followed
Brother Evans from place to place and railed against him almost like a
madman. He had not pursued this course very long when he was stricken
down with a peculiar kind of sickness which none of the doctors who saw
him understood anything about, although numbers of them visited him.
One of his arms was paralyzed and he had such a raging fever that he
felt as if it was consuming him. He begged of his friends to throw cold
water on him to keep him from burning up, and the doctors, not knowing
what else to do for his relief, advised that it be done. Accordingly
those who were waiting upon him continued dashing cold water upon him
while he remained alive, and he died raving and cursing "Mormonism" and
every person connected with it.

While preaching in that same region Elder Evans was sent for by a very
wealthy and influential man named Nathaniel Rowlands, who wished him
to come and preach at his house. He had once heard Elder Abel Evans,
preach and became somewhat interested in the doctrines he taught, and
wanted to learn more of them. After preaching at his house he went to
a village about a mile distant to fill an appointment. At this village
a literary gathering or _eisteddfod_ was being held, composed of the
best educated men of the region, who were in the habit of meeting to
compare their literary and musical compositions and compete for prizes.
This association comprized quite a number of ministers of various
denominations, and they, knowing that Elder Evans was going to preach
in the village on the same evening upon which they were to hold their
meeting, decided to go and oppose him publicly and expose his doctrines
to the ridicule of his congregation. They, therefore, sent one of their
number to Elder Evans' meeting to detain him until their meeting was

This man came, and at the close of Elder Evans' sermon he began asking
him questions, and thus detained him until a late hour, and the
congregation, knowing the character of the inquisitor, stayed to see
the end of the controversy. Finally, eight other preachers from the
_eisteddfod_ came and announced to the Elder their intention. Elder
Evans was greatly surprised to see such an array of talent unitedly
opposed to him, but he did not feel to shrink from the contest, for
he knew he had the truth on his side. In the outset some of the more
independent persons in the audience stated that if the fallacy of the
young man's doctrines was to be exposed, he should first be allowed to
state briefly what his doctrines were. The preachers assented to this
and Elder Evans explained, one after another, the first principles
of the gospel, in as plain a manner as possible, and they in turn
sought to controvert and ridicule them. When he got to the subject of
baptism a division occurred among the preachers, some of them being
Baptists and others holding baptism as non-essential. They soon got to
denouncing each other as vehemently as they had the young Elder just
before, and when they almost got to blows the audience interfered and
the meeting was broken up, leaving a far more favorable feeling towards
Elder Evans than had before existed.

When the news of this reached Mr. Rowlands he was very indignant, and
he immediately wrote to each of the preachers, denouncing his action
in interfering with the young Elder, whom he had known from childhood
as honest and conscientious, and every way deserving of respect. The
result was, the preachers lost caste from that very time and sunk into
oblivion, despised by all who knew them.

While Elder Evans was laboring in Pembrokeshire a man by the name of
Thomas Evans broke a blood vessel and bled inwardly, the blood also
issuing from his nose and mouth profusely. Doctors were called in and
tried in vain to stop the hemorrhage. Brother Evans and another Elder
on learning of the man's condition went to see him. He had then grown
so weak that he was scarcely able to speak, but he made known that he
desired them to administer to him. They complied with his request, and
on taking their hands from his head it was noticed that the bleeding
had stopped, and the man recovered from that time, although it was some
time before he regained his strength, as he had lost so much blood.

Near the same time and in the same region a sister in the Church, named
Morgan, was taken very sick. Her friends did all they could for her,
but she continued growing worse. When she had grown so bad that the
persons waiting upon her expected her to die almost hourly, she fell
asleep and dreamed that Elder Evans came and laid his hands upon her
and she recovered immediately. On relating the dream to her friends,
they tried to find out where Brother Evans was, and sent to different
parts of the country in search of him, without finding him, however;
but during the day Elder Evans happened to call at the house where the
sick woman was. She saw him as he passed the window before he entered
the door and she declared afterwards that the sight of him caused her
pain to vanish, and when he laid his hands upon her head she was healed
instantly, and arose and ate her supper.

One of the most remarkable cases of healing that ever occurred in
Brother Evans' experience was that of a woman who had been afflicted
with a bloody issue for thirty years, and who had been given up by the
doctors as incurable. On hearing the gospel she believed, and requested
baptism. Notwithstanding the protests of her friends, who all declared
that if she went into the water it would kill her, she determined to do
so, and Elder Evans baptized her. From that very time she was cured of
her affliction and was no more troubled by it.

In illustration of the providential way in which the Elders are
sometimes preserved when their enemies seek to destroy them, Brother
Evans relates the following: In a village in Pembrokeshire in which
he had often preached, a man by the name of Thomas, who had listened
to his testimony and was a believer but had not made up his mind to
be baptized, was taken sick with the cholera. When the disease had
got such a hold upon him that he felt that he must die, he became
very anxious to be baptized, and sent for his brother, who was an
Elder in the Church, and demanded baptism at his hands. He expressed
no hopes of living, he fully expected to die, and to gratify him his
brother baptized him. The man died soon afterwards as he had expected
to, but at the coroner's inquest which was held over the body, on the
fact being known that he was baptized, a great uproar was raised.
His brother was arrested, charged with murder, and the Elders who
had labored in that region were threatened with the vengeance of the
populace if they ever returned. John Thomas was in time tried for his
brother's murder, and acquitted, the evidence being clear that he died
from cholera and not from being baptized. Soon afterwards Elder John
Morris, who was president of the Pembrokeshire conference, and Brother
Evans, who was his counselor, called at the village and put up as usual
at the house of an old gentleman named Noat, who was a member of the
Church. Before retiring for the night they felt impressed to leave
that house, and go to another and stay. It was fortunate that they did
so, for, if they had failed to act upon the warning of the Spirit,
they would probably have forfeited their lives as a consequence. In
the night a mob broke open the doors of Noat's house and searched for
the Elders, whom they supposed to be there. Failing to find them, they
dragged old Brother Noat from his house and abused him most shamefully,
because he would not inform them where the Elders were. The Elders, on
hearing of the outrage the next morning, went to the house; but were
seen by some of the mob, and had to flee for their lives, being stoned
out of the place.

As an example of the manner in which the gifts of tongues and the
interpretation of the same were enjoyed by the Saints in the Welsh
mission in an early day, Brother Evans relates the following: It was
customary at that time for the Saints in emigrating from Wales to sail
from Swansea to Liverpool. A couple or three days after a company had
started in this way, many of them having gone from Aberdare, a "Saints'
meeting" was being held in the latter place, when a young man was led
to speak in tongues. On the interpretation being given by another
person present, it was stated that the company of Saints who had sailed
for Liverpool were in danger of being wrecked, and were praying very
earnestly for their deliverance, and wishing that their friends at
home would also pray for them. The man who presided over the meeting
supposed from the length of time which had elapsed after the company
had sailed that they must have reached Liverpool before that time.
He therefore preferred to act upon his own judgment to accepting the
Spirit's warning, and dismissed the meeting without offering a prayer
for the safety of their friends. A few days afterwards news reached
Aberdare that the company had been all but lost on the voyage, and at
the time that their friends were holding their meeting they were in the
greatest peril.



Brother Thomas D. Giles, of Salt Lake City, was connected with the
Church and labored considerably in the ministry in Wales soon after
the introduction of the gospel in that land. He relates many curious
circumstances connected with his conversion to the gospel and his early
experience in the same, some of which we will give to our readers
substantially as he tells them:

Brother Giles was a Baptist when he was a young man, and an earnest
seeker after truth wherever it was to be found. The first time he met
his friend Abel Evans after that gentleman had joined the Church, he
was asked by him what he thought of the Latter-day Saints. Brother
Giles replied that he knew nothing about them. Brother Evans then
predicted that he soon would know something about them, and, more
than that, he and his father's family would soon be baptized by them.
Brother Giles thought but little of this prediction at the time, but
it was soon literally fulfilled, for on hearing the gospel preached he
was convinced of its truth, and on the 1st of November, 1844, he was
baptized by Elder Abel Evans. He bears his solemn testimony now that as
soon as the Elders placed their hands upon his head and confirmed him
a member of the Church the power of the Holy Ghost filled his system,
brought joy to his heart and gave him an assurance that his sins were
forgiven, for which he had been praying for many years. His father was
also prepared to receive the gospel as soon as he heard it preached,
for he had for a long time been inquiring after a church organized
after the pattern given by our Savior and His apostles, and possessing
the various gifts which were formerly enjoyed by the Saints. The result
was that he and the whole of his family were soon baptized.

About seventeen months after he was baptized Elder Giles was called to
labor as a missionary in Monmouthshire, where he soon baptized a goodly
number of people, organized about thirty branches of the Church and had
the satisfaction of seeing his converts enjoy the gifts of the gospel,
such as speaking in tongues, interpreting the same, healing the sick,
casting out evil spirits, etc. He had much opposition to meet, and
suffered considerable persecution, but was upheld by the power of God,
and had great joy in his labors. When holding outdoor meetings he was
frequently interrupted by persons who were influenced by the sectarian
ministers of the region. One man in particular, named Daniels, was very
persistent in opposing him and trying to break up his meetings, and on
one occasion after doing so he declared that if the Elders attempted to
hold meeting again at the same place the following Sunday he would have
men enough there to mob them out of the place. Before the next Sunday
came, however, the man was in his grave, having been accidentally
killed while at his work.

The first person baptized under Brother Giles' administration was a man
named Wm. Lewis, who immediately opened his house for the Elders to
hold meetings in. But the Saints soon numbered so many that his house
would not contain them. The Elders then applied to a tavern keeper for
a large room in which to hold their meetings, which he very kindly
granted them, and in a short time he and all his family were converted
and baptized, and gave up their tavern. Baptisms occurred every night
in the week, and in a short time that branch numbered two hundred and
three. In time a still larger hall was required in which to convene,
and the Elders applied to a Mr. Davis, who owned a large building
called "The Greyhound Hall," to obtain the use of it. He, however,
could not think of allowing the "Mormons" to meet in his hall, as he

1 2 3 5 7 8

Online LibraryVariousEarly Scenes in Church History → online text (page 5 of 8)