W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 30 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 30 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and makes- an appropriate shelter for the interest-
ing and hap[)y family circle.

(.)ur subject is .i native of this State, having
been burn in Kairtield Counly, February 27, 1826.
and i~ a -<,in of Sila- 1). AUen. who was born May
22. 1801. ill \'ermoiit. (irandfather AVhiting
Allen was born April Iri. 1779. in Connecticut,
and for eighteen montlis served a- a soldier in the
War of 1812. On emigrating to Ohio in 18"2. he
located in Fairtield Cciuuty.-»where he w.a.> one of
the earliest pioneers. He there redeemed from its
native wildness a quarter-section of land, which he
subsequently sold, and removed to Delaware, this



State, where he died at a ripe old age. He was the
father of a large family of five sons and three
daughter, to whom he gave as good educations
.as the times and his circumstances would permit.

On the paternalside, the ancestors of oursubject
were residents of Vermont, where they were well
known and well-to-do. His father was the eldest
of the family, and when starting out in life for
himself, beg.an the manufacture of spinning wlieels
and afterward learned the cari>enter's trade. In
18:52. he came to this county and purchased four
hundred acres of Government land in Dinsmore
Township, for which he paid * 1.2.5 per acre. The
country at that time w.is in its original condition,
and }ilr. Allen erected a log cabin in the woods on
section 25. The Indians were still in the locality,
but did not remain long after the section came to
be inhabited. The forests were so dense in some
places that a man could not be seen at a distance
of three rods, but these goodly forests in their
primeval beauty drew the pioneer as the magnet
does the needle. No other consideration ever bore
such weight as the thought of the generous shel-
ter which these islands of shade and cool streams
gave — about the only comfort the earlv settlers
found in their new home; all others were sur-
roundings of discomfort. The absence of schools
and markets, the cramped cabitis, sickness, se-
vere storms, depredations of wild be.asts, fires,
snakes, poorly paid toil and the uncertaintv
of the future, all gave way to the supporting
shelter of the grove and timber. Mr. Allen, like
other pioneei-s, was engaged in subduing nature,
clearing land, breaking prairie, etc, but with all
this labor was social and happy, having a care for
the morals and education of his growing f.amilv.
He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Cliurch. and wx- well calculated to aid in the
huildiiis: u|i of a new country, being energetic,
affable and kind-hcaited. Ik- departed this life
.Tune in. 1^.5(1.

(_)ur subject's ninlher. pri(.ir to her marriage, was
Klizabeth (ioiige, a native of N'irginia. from wliich
State her parents emigrated to Fairfield Countv
in an early day. At her ileath. which occurred in
l.H2'.». she left two children, the elder of whom is
our subject. The daughter married W. H. Ed-



270



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



wards and makes her home in Putnam County,
Ohio. The f.ither of our subject cliose for his
second wife Miss Pha>bc Fridley, also a native of
Virginia, by wlioni he became the father of five
cliildren, three of whom are still living. Mrs.
Allen died in 18til in this township.

He of whom we write w.as a lad of six jears
when he accompanied his parents on their removal
to this county, and well remembers the long jour-
ney through the woods to their new home. There
were no schools in the locality of his home for ten
years after coming here, and even after their es-
tablislimeut they were furnislied in a most primi-
tive manner, with puncheon Boor, slab seats, etc.

When establishing a home for himself in the fall
of 1847, Mr. Allen was married to Lydia A., the
daughter of .James H. Coleman, a native of Ken-
tucky. The young couple took up their abode on
a tract of wild land which our subject had pur-
chased from his father, and on which only one
tree had been cut. He erected a log house, in
which he lived for some time, and began clearing
the est^ate whicli is his plac-e of residence to-day.

A few years after starting out on his own re-
sponsibilitj-, Mr. Allen procured a yoke of oxen
and did teaming for about five years, after which
he worked at the carpenter's trade for some time
in his neighborhood. He has recently erected on
his place a barn 34x70 feet in dimensions and eigh-
teen feet high. This was built entirely in accordance
with an original idea of his own, and in its con-
struction he did not use a chisel or a stick of tim-
ber thicker than 2x8, j'et it is considered strong
and substantial in every particular. In his earlier
years he did some contr.acting and built two miles
of pike. His first house, which he constructed
himself, cost him just seventy-five cents, but the
comfortable structure in which he now makes his
home is among the best in the township.

The father of Mrs. Allen came from Kentucky
with his father, Philip Coleman, who in turn was
a son of Henry Coleman, a native of Montgomery
County. Pa., and a hatter by trade. Her mother's
maiden name was Susann.ah Snider, .and the mar-
riage of her parents occurred February 20. 1817.
They were the parents of ten children, six of whom
are living; the mother died .January 1, 1841.



The lady whom Mr. Coleman chose as his second
wife, March 5, 1841, was Mrs. Mary A. Summers.
The father, who was one of the early settlers of
.Shelby County, died in Logan County, .January
10, 1882. Mrs. Allen has a workbasket in her
possession which her mother purchased of the
Indians in this locality, and which she prizes verj"
highly. She also has some garments that her
mother, with her assistance, spun and wove many
years ago, when tlie pioneei-s were accustomed to
make by hand all their own wearing apparel as
well as carpets.

To Mr. and Mrs. Allen have been born ten chil-
dren, namely: Elizabeth, Susan, Mary, Hannah C,
Silas D., Eliza, (dece.Tsed), Lydia A., George P.,
Ella C. and James C. All those living are mar-
ried and established in good homes of their own.
Although reared a Whig in politics, our subject,
since 18.56, has voted with the Democratic part}-
and has been the incumbent of the various local
positions of trust and honor. With his wife, he is
a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, with which denomination he has been
connected for a half century. At one time he
owned four hundred and twenty acres of land,
but since dividing his estate among his children,
now has only two hundred and forty acres, which
are pleas.antly located on sections 2.5 and 26, and
whicli he has developed from the wilderness by his
own hands. Not only has he been a witness of
almost the entire growth of this section of the
.State, but he has also contributed his quota to its
upbuilding, and his portrait presented in this con-
nection is therefore a valuable addition to the
volume.



^->^^Sf^



(*^S)HOMAS B. M( CORJIICK. When mention
l( (^% is made of the prominent farmers of .Shelby
^^^f/ County, the ni-SIhe of this successful agricul-
turist of Jackson Township should be included.
For several generations the family of whicli he is
a member has been represented in the Buckeye



PORTRAIT AXD BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



271



State, and has contributed to its progress and the
development of its material resources. His pater-
nal grandfather owned a section of land where the
city of Hamilton now stands, and afterward pur-
cliased two sections in Greene County, this State.
With the assistance of his two sons, lie hiiilt the
Kniseley Mills in Mad River Township, and also
devoted considerable attention to general farming
pursuits. During the Revolutionary War, lie
fought for the independence of tlie Colonies .and
was present al the surrender of Cornwallis at
Vorktown.

The father of our subject. James McCorinick.
possessed the family characteristics of enterprise
.and patriotism. He was born in PennsN-lvania in
ITltO, and in early manhood served his country in
tlie War of 1812. After coming to Greene County,
Ohio, he was married to Klizabetli .'^hearer, who,
like himself, was a native of the Keystone State,
and wa-s born in 1802. In 18;31. he removed from
(u-eene to Slielb\- County, and settled in the south
part of Jackson Township, of which lie and his
family were the first white settlers. Frcim that
day to this, the McCormiek family has been promi-
nent in the public affairs of tlie township, and is
probably better known than any other family
therein.

During the early days of his settlement in .lack-
son Township, James McCormiek endured the
hardships of pioneer life, and was surrounded by
Indians and wild animals. He was not permitted
to enjoy the fruitsof hi.- laliors. for he was removed
liy death in 1842. when still in life's prime. His
wife survived until isii4. They were members of
the Reformed Church. Politically, he was a Dem-
ocrat, and served as the first Townsliip Trustee, as
well as one of the first (Jverseers of the Poor.
Their family nuniliered eleven children, three of
whom are now living. Three sons served in the
Civil War. one of whom. Francis M., was a soldier
in Company K, Fifty-seventh (_)hio Infantry, and
died in the .Marine Hospital at .st. Louis. M.i..
in 1862.

The subject of this sketcli w.as born at tlie old
homestead in Jackson Townsliip. January 24. 1839.
and grew to manhood amid tlie pioneer scenes of
the county. In 1861, he enlisted in Company K, j



Fifty-seventh Ohio Infantry, at the organization
of the regiment in Columbus, Ohio. He was Sec-
ond Sergeant of his company and acted in the ca-
pacity of Orderly .Sergeant during all the time of
his service. Witli his regiment he marched to Pa-
ducah, Ky.. and from there to Pittsburgh Landing,
where he participated in an engagement with tlie
enemy. At Corinth. Miss., he became ill with king
fever and later with broncliitis. from which lie
suffered severely. After a service of seventeen
months, he was honorably discliarged at Colum-
bus, Ohio.

The marriage of our suliject, November 2. 1863,
united him with Elizabeth Ilawver, who was born
in Miami County. Ohio, January 2.5, 1839. Mrs.
McCoimick is the daughterof Daniel and Elizabeth
(Brown) Ilawver, natives of Maryland, and born
respectively in 1791 and 1797. After their mar-
riage, which occurred in ^laiyland in 1816, Mr.
and JIi-s. Hawver resided in their native State until
1837, when they removed to Miami County, and
there the former died. In 185.5, Mrs. Hawver re-
moved to Shelby County and bought a farm in
Jackson Township, where she resided until death.
.She and her husband were faithful members of tlie
Lutheran Church, and politically, he was a Dem-
ocrat. They were the parents of tliirteen children,
seven of wliom are still living.

For one year following his marriage, Mr. Mc-
Coniiick resided on a farm south of Jackson Centre,
whence he moved to .Salem Township and made
his home on a rented farm for eight years. He
then removed to his present estate, which com-
prises one hundred and fifty acres of land and is
ciJiisidered one of the most finely-improved farms
in the community. Mr. McCormiek and his es-
timable wife have no children of their own, but
adopted a child. Edgar, when he was two years
old and gave him every educational advantage
within their power, as well .as the care and love
which they would have bestowed upon a child of
their own^ Edgar is a graduate of the Ohio Medi-
cal College and is now an active practitioner at
Kossuth, tliis State.

Besides being a successful farmer. Mr. McCor-
miek is an enterprising citizen, and is always anx-
ious to promote any project that will advance the



272



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPinCAL RECORD.



interests of the community. He has served as a
member of the School Bo.ard, and has been Trustee
and Treasurer of Jackson Township for the past
ten years. For twenty years he has been identified
with the Reformed Church, in whicli he has filled
oflicial positions. His wife is also active in the
good works of the Reformed Church, of which she
has been a member since she was eighteen years
of aare.



-ALTER S. ROEBUCK, of the firm of Koe-
f' buck it Brand, editors and proprietors of
^^^^' the Logan County Index, was born in
Bellefontaine, July 31, 1848, and is a son of Jo-
seph and Arpatia M. (Shepherd) Roebuck, natives
respectively of Ohio and Virginia. The elder ^Ir.
Roebuck came to Bellefontaine at an early day, at
a time when the Indians inhabited the country,
and carried on his business of a tailor in this place
until his decease, which occurred in 1877. His
widow, who still survives, has attained the ad-
vanced ,age of eighty-one years.

Our subject was the second in order of birth in
the parental family of three sons, and received
his education in the public schools of his native
place. When fourteen years of age, in the
midst of his studies, he enlisted in Company L,
Second Ohio Heavy Artillery, and served his
country until the close of the war, being one of
the youngest soldiers from Logan County.

After the close of hostilities, our subject returned
to this city and engaged at work in tlie iirinting-
office of the RfpubUran, and served liis full ap-
prenticeship in that art. He then worked at the
printer's trade in different cities for several
years, and in 187.5, going to W.ashinglon, D. C,
was employed in the Government printing-ottice
for five years. At the expiration of that time, he
again returned to this place, and in 187!) pur-
chised a half interest in his present office, which
was then owned by J. H. Bowman. They contin-
ued together until August. 188'), when the firm



name was changed to Roebuck <fe Brand, the latter
gentleman having purchased the interest of Mr.
Bowman. The Index h.as continued nnder its
present management very successfully and has a
ver^- largo circulation. The office is well equipped
with all modern machinery, having a Cottrell
press. The paiier, which is an eight-page folio,
is a spicy and newsy sheet, containing all the cur-
rent and local news.

The lady to whom Mr. Roebuck was married in
1873 was Miss Mattie M. Gulp, of Springfield,
tills .State. To them have been granted a family
of four .sons and one daughter, namely: Lee J.,
Charles W., Florence N., Edwin C, and Carl JI.
Mrs. Roebuck is a devoted and conscientious mem-
ber of the Jlethodist Episcop.al Churcli, and her
husb.and, in social affairs, is a prominent jNIason,
Knight of Pythias. Odd Fellow and Grand Army
man. He also lielongs to several insurance orders,
and w.as District Deputy of the IndependentOrder
of Odd Fellows for two terms, and served as a
representative of that body for a like period. He
is greatly interested in secret societies and is an
active worker in the same. He has been elected
to the position of Alderman of Bellefontaine and
is heartily in favor of whatever scheme is ad-
vanced to promote the interests of his county.



L^^ME SIDNEY PUBLIC LIBRARY was in-
(f^\ corporated as a stock company on the 5th
\^/' of December. 1869, by the citizens of the
city subscribing to a stock, as follows: A. J. Robert-
son. Jason JlcVay, S. A. Leckey, Robert Given,
John H. Mathers, George Vogle, L. C. Barkall,
William P. Metcalf, James Johnson, H. C. Morhing,
.S. G. McCullough, L. E. Mathers, Hugh Thompson,
A. L. Marshall, N. R. Wyman, E. 31. Green, H.
Guthrie. 0. O. jMathers, J. W. P.ampell, II. H.
Spr.ague, James McKercher, Joseph (i. Irwin, H. S.
Conkli;i,Zinn & Hoover, Jonathan Counts, Turner
k Bro., William McCullough, R. K. Lytic, James



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



273



A. Wells, R. MuCaslin, D. L. A- George S. Bush,

B. F. Carey, John Bailej-, B. W. Maxwell, Al-
exander Green, James Caldwell, James Murray,
and James R. Kendall, each of whom paid $28.50.

Benjamin W. Good paid ¥.30.50; J. S. Crosier
S29.00; A. B. Coles. *30.00; H. Wilson, ¥.'51.30;
W^illiani U. Lucans, $7.50; William II. Khodehamel,
§17.22; A. Clanson, 810.25; H. A. Kliodehamel,
¥14.00; James M. Fletcher,$5.00; Josepli :\IcGon.agb.
§11.00; II. G. .'^teeley, §5.00; Alexander Ramsey.
*I5.00; Clay K. Joslin, ¥17.50; M. C. Hale, ¥5.0(1;
J. S. Conklin, $10.00; J. A. Henry, $8.50; Ed .Smith,
$20.00; Benjamin Shisser. $2.50; William C. Wy-
nian, $21.00; Dr. A. AVilsou, $14.00; II. Rauth,
$16.50; John (i. .Stephenson, $10.00; John A. Cum-
mins, $25.00; N.R.Burress, $14.00; A. J. Rebstook,
$14.00; R. M.Trego, $7.40; Willi.am Binkley,$5.00;
H. C. Kolierts. $2.50; J. 15. Walker, $2.50; C. E.
Fielding. $2.50, and R. 15. Thorn, $10.00. AVhole
amount paid in. $1,506. 27.

This was run .is a stock company until October,
1876, when it was turned over to the ^Monumental
Library Association in the Monumental Building,
and remained in a dormant state until 1885, when
it was under the Young Men's Christian Associa-
tion. In 1886, William C. W^-man was appointed
Librarian b^- the Town Council and after .Septem-
ber 1 it was to be open every day, Sunday ex-
cepted, from 8.30 A. M. until 'J V. M. Mr. Wy-
man has held this position ever since, with the
exception of one year, and there are an average of
two hundred and tifty books out per day. There
is al-so a depository of United .States public docu-
ments.



— 1-^#^ - — ^



W. SIDKSINGER. Agriculture and stock-
raising have formed the principal occupa-
f — \ tion of this gentleman, and the wide-awake
manner in wliich he has taken advantage of all
methods and ideas tending to enhancing the value
of his property h:is had a sreat di-al to do with
obtaining the compi-tciici.- which he now enjoys.



His fine farm lies five miles northeast of West
Liberty, on the West Liberty and Zanesfield Pike,
in Monroe Township, Logan County, Ohio, and is
a very pleasant and attractive sjwt.

Mr. Sidesinger w.as born in Whitestown. Adams
County, Pa., February 4, 1822, and is a son of
Leonard Sidesinger, who was born in the same
count}- and State, June 6, 1787, and was reared on
the same f.irm. tirandfather Sidesinger was a na-
tive of Germany and a bell-maker by trade. Our
subject's mother, whose maiden name was Marv A.
McElwee, was born in Cumberland County, Pa.,
M.ay 18, 1794, and was of Irisli parent.age. Tlie
parents of our subject were married in their native
State and there the mother died in 1824. After-
ward the father married ^Ii>s Ivancy I.. Cook, a
native of York County, Pa., and later moved to
Miami County, Ohio, thence to Champaign County
of that .State and finall}* to Logan County, where
his death occurred December 21, 1869. In politics,
he was first a Whig .and later a Republican. To
his first marriage were born five children, two
daughters and three sons, all of whom re.aclied
mature years. The}' were as follows: Sarah (de-
ceased); Barbara A. resides with our subject;
.Samuel (deceased); Leonard W., our subject, and
James J., in Adams County. Pa. To the second
marriage were born six children, two daughters
and four sons, viz.: .lohii. of Jlonroe Township,
this county; llanict (decetised). Rebecca (de-
ceased); Hiram, of Illinois; William A. (deceased),
and Gordon (deceased). Mi's. Sidesinger. the mo-
ther of the last-named children, was born Feljru-
ary 11. 1805, and died December 28. 1838.

The original of this notice, the fourth child and
second son. w.as twelve yeare of age when he
moved from Pennsylvania to Miami County, Ohio,
and his early cducatiou was received in the log
schoolhouses of his native .State. He assisted his
fatlier on the farm until about 1850, when he and
his brother Samuel engaged in tilling the soil on
rented laud, and continued togetiier for about two
years. Then our subject branched out for himself
and %v.as married August 29. 1863, in Jlouroe
Township. Logan County, Oliio. to ]Miss Mary A.
Foust, a daughter of Ili-nry and ,M:irgaret (Yohu)
Foust, and a native of .Sunuuit Couul\'. Ohio, born



27-1



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRArfflCAL RFXORD.



January 23, 1836. Her parents were both natives
of ^'orthalnpton Count.y, Pa., wbere they were
married and there they resided until 1831. when
thev came to Summit Count}-, Ohio. Later, (ir
about 1838, they moved to Logan County, where
the father died in 18711 :ind the mother when in
her seventy-ninth year. Thev were the parents of
thirteen children, all of whom grew to mature
years and all are living at the present time except
one.

Our subject located on tlie farm where he now
lives soon after marriage and is the owner of one
hundred and sixt\'-three acres where he resides
and thirty-five acres in Jetferson Township, lie is
a prominent farmer and stock-raiser .and one of the
substantial men of his section. He was formerly n
Whig in politics, afterward a Republican, and has
been Township Trustee for seventeen years. He
was also Supervisor of Roads. lie has erected all
the buildings on his farm and is progressive and
enterprising.



W[ OHN A. RUSSELL. But few of the farmers
I of Shelby County have met with more sub-
j stantial success in their calling than Mr.



"■^^i; Russell, whose push, determination and
practical ability have placed him among the fore-
most agriculturists of Clinton Township. He has
valuable landed interests on section 22, and his
farm, with its broad, well-tilled fields and fine im-
provements, is classed among the most productive
in this locality. It is also embellished witli excel-
lent buildings, not the le.ast among which is the
comfortable residence, which alone prficlaims its
proprietor to be a man of taste aud mean-^.

.Joshua Russell, the father of our sulijeet. was
born in Augusta County. \'a.. in 1808. He was a
boy when his parents removed to Greene County,
this State, and there grew to manhood, and in
183.5 was married to Miss Jane McClure, who was
also a native of Virginia, having been born in a
county adjuining that of her husband in I8U5.



Soon after their marriage, Mr. and Mi-s. Russell
came to Shelby Count}-, and made location in the
northern portion of Clinton Township, where thev
resided until their de.ith. the mother p.assingawav-
February 22, 1874. and the father dying July 7,
1884. They were both members of the Presbyter-
ian Church, and had born to them a family of nine
children, of whom the eldest died in infancy.
William A. is at present residing in Turtle Creek
Township; Moses J. is a farmer in Clinton Town-
slii|i: Cyrus J. died in the army, being a member
of Company H, Ninety-ninth Ohio Infantrj-; John
A. was the fifth in order of birth; Mary J. married
Adam Russell; Margaret E. departed this life In
the fall of 1888; jMartha K. is the wife of William
Russell, of Clinton Townshi]), and our subject.

John A. Russell w.as boru in Clinton Township.
Shelby County. July 4, 1842. and received a prac-
tical education in the common schools, and was
trained by his worthy parent* to farm pursuits.
He resided at homo until his marriage, September
22, 1873, at which time Miss Mary B. Hohn, who
w.as born in Turtle Creek Township, this county,
January ,3, 1855, became his wife. Mrs. Russell
was the daughter of Lewis and Mary (Strouse)
Hohn, the former of whom was born in JNIontgom-
ery County, this State, in 1826, and the latter w.-is
born in Reading. Pa., in 1828. Mr. and Mrs. Hohn
were united in marriage in Dayton, and soon after
located in Jlontgomery County, where thev re-
sided until 1854. the date of their coming to Tur-
tle Creek Township. They later took up their
abode in Clinton Township, where they m.ake their
home at the present time. The children com-
prised in their family bear the respective names
of Mary B., William E., Frank L.. Melinda R. and
M. A. King. Adaui D. is deceased, and also Sarah
L.. who died in infancy.

Siicm after his marriage, Mr. Russell of this
sketch located in Clinton Township, where he has
since resided. His estate, which comprises eighty
acres, as mentioned in our opening paragraph, is
one of the finest in the township, and is so culti-
vated .as to bring its owner a handsome income.
Our subject and his wife are the parents of two
children. Jennie M. and Martha E.

He of whom we write is a stanch Republican in



PORTRAJT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



275



politics, but could not in any sense be termed an
office-seeker, as he prefers to devote his time and
attention to his private aCfairs. Witli his wife, he
is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and
their place in the community is a most enviable
one, as they enjoy the confidence of a host of warm
personal friends.



DlTi^, ARVKY OrTHRlK. who ha< won a hiafli
1 reputation as a wide-awake and progressive
citizen of .*^helby County, occupies the re-



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 30 of 76)