W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 33 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 33 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1873, the original of this sketch and Miss
Josephine Arnold, of Wapakoneta, were united in
marriagBjand they have become the parents of five
sons and two daughters, viz; William, Roman,
Glenora, Ethel, John, Fred and Joseph. Mr.
Krapf is a prominent member of the Royal Ar-
canum, and a consistent member of the Catholic
Church. He is classed among the most infiuential
citizens of this place, and is highly respected both
here and throughout tlie surrounding country.

Elsewhere in this volume will be found a view
of Mr. Krapf 's planing mill.



,ips^ QUIRE J. N. Dk VORE. Logan County is
^^^^ conspicuous for itsm.agnificent farms, that
vV^^i ^'^ faultless in the wa\' of management,
"" ' and the order in which they are kept.
Those in Zane Township are especially advantage-
ous!}- located, the land being rolling and well
watered, fertile and productive. Xo one is to be
more complimented on the perfect method and
order with which his agricultural affairs are con-
ducted than he whose name is above. He is
engaged in farming and stock-raising one-half
mile northwest of West Middleburgh, where he has
a good home, the house being commodious and
attractive, and the barns and granaries capacious
and well-filled. The fields are wide-siireading and
productive. S(]uire De Yore was born in Cham-
paign County, Ohio, on the 16th of October, 183o,
and is a son of Moses and Rachel (Inskeep) De
Yore, both natives of Ohio, the father born in
Champaign, and the mother in Logan Countj-.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RPX'ORD.



293



Qui- subject's grandfatlier, .Tames DeVore, was
boni in Fiance, and came to America when a
young man. settling first in 'Washington County.
Pa., and afterward in Champaign County, Ohio,
wliere lie was one of the early settlers. lie was
married in Pennsylvania to one of that State's
fair daughters, and reared a large family of
cliildren. The fattier of our subject was bom on
tlie 2'2i\ of February. 1811, and passed his bo\'hood
and youth in his native county. He married
Miss Inskeep, who was reared in Logan County,
andwho was the daughter of .Toslma Inskeep, a
native of theOld Dominion. Mr. Inskeep came
to Ohio at an early day. was one of the pioneers
of Logan County, and a prominent man. He was
a preacher in the ^lethodist Church, waij also in
the Methodist Protestant Church, and built one
of the first churches in the township. He w.as also
engaged in the sawmill business for many years.
In politics, he was a Whig. Moses De Vore and
wife celebrated their nuptials in Zane Township,
Logan County. (_)hio. in 1833, and afterward
located in L'nion County. Ohiii. where they im-
proved a large farm of four hundred .acres. A
log cabin was first erected, but this w.as subse-
quently removed and a good, substantial frame
structure took its place. Tlie mother died when
about forty-three years of age. but the father is
still living, and resides on his farm in Union
County, and although eighty-one yeai-s of .age.
time has dealt leniently with him, and he is still
quite active and vigorous. He h.is remained on
this farm ever since hi? marriage, with the ex-
ception of about three years, when he went to take
care of his father and mother.

C>f the nine children born to this worthy couple,
four sons and five daughters, all but one grew to
mature yeai-^. and four sons and three daughters
still survive. Our subject, the second son and
second child, was educated in tlie log schoolhouse
of piiiiieer days, wuh tlie slab seats and other
crude contrivances in tlie way of school furniture,
and assisted his father in'cleai'ing tlie home place.
Before he was of age. he bought his time of
his fatlier, ]iaying -JliH) in c:isli for his services
from the age of twenty until he attained his
majority. On the 23d of (Jctoljer. 1855. he led to



the altar Jliss Marj' ^Morton, a native of Ohio, born
in Columbiana County, December 2, 1835. She
came with her parents, Israel and Hannali (Conn)
^Morton, to Logan Connty, Ohio, when nine years
of .age. She was the youngest of ten children, and
was left motherless when but an infant. Her
father and mother were natives of the Kevstone
State.

Following his marriage, our subject located first
in Union County, Ohio, where he remained two
years, and then moved to Logan County, Zane
Township, where he has made his home ever since.
He first settled in a little log cabin of round logs,
18x18 feet, and in this he and his most excellent
and cultured wife resided for seventeen vears,
gathering around them, by energy, industry and
good management, many comforts and conven-
iences. They improved the place in everv wav,
and in 1875 erected a cozy and convenient house
which cost them 51,000. They now have one
hundred and seventy-one acres of .as good Land as
is to be found in the county, and the most of this
Mr. De Vore cleared himself, it being covered with
heavy timber.

To Jlr. and Mrs. De Vore have been bom seven
children, three daughtei-s and four sons: Jacob
A., born October, 1856, is at home; Rachel B. (de-
ceased): Jennie L., wife of F\ X. Johnson, of
■West Liberty, is a graduate of Adrian College,
jMichigan; Moses G., at home; Lewis K., attend-
ing the State University of Columbus, Ohio, tak-
ing a course in cfvil engineering; Laural M.,
attending school at West Middleburgh, is a bright
student, and is much interested in his studies;
.Sylvia A. died at the age of five years. Mr. and
Mi-s. De Vore have given their children every ad-
vantage for receiving an education, and have
every reason to be proud of the progress they have
made, for there is not a more intelligent family in
the county.

Jlr. De Vore is an advocate of Democratic
principles, and his first Presidential vote was for
Buchanan in 185(J. He was Trustee of the town-
ship for .about five years, and held the position of
School Director for many years. There are three
Re|)ublicans to one Democrat in the township,
but .Mr. De N'cjre. who lias a host of warm friends



204



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



in both parties, was elected Justice of the Peace in
1884, and lias discharged the duties incumbent
upon this office in a creditable and satisfactory
manner. He was elected without his consent, and
there has been but one appeal of all the cases he
has tried. His docket for the past three years
shows one hundred and tliirt}' sis cases settled,
most without suit. He is a member of the Ancient
Free and Accepted Masons, Blue Lodge of East
Liberty, and Bl.azing Star Chapter No. 247, North
Lewisburtrh.






^^EORGE W. IIAWVER. The life of a far-
'II _^ nier may be devoid of stirring events, but
^^Al it is none the less a field in which to ex-
ercise good business ability, fine judgment and the
sterling traits of personal character. Tlie man
who can gain a large tract of land in the well-set-
tled sections of our country must necessarily
possess qualifications equal to those displayed by a
business man in our towns, although differing in
kind. The gentleman above named has prospered
in his efforts in life and owns a considerable
amount of land in Jackson Townsliip, Slielby
County. His residence, which is located on sec-
tions 28 and 29, is a commodious structme, is ac-
companied by adequate and substantial outbuild-
ings, and the land surounding it has been brought
to a good condition as regards its cultivation and
productiveness.

The original of this sketch is a son of Christian
Hawver, who was born near Hagerstown, Md., Au-
gust 2(5, 1817. He in turn was a son of Daniel and
Elizabeth (Brown) Hawver, also natives of tliat
State. The maiden name <if our subject's mother
was Lucinda Hughes; slie was born in Miami
County, this State, August 1. 1819, and is a daugli-
ter of William Hughes, an early settler of that lo-
cality'.

The father of our suljject came to this State as
early as 1837 and, locating- in !Mianii County, was
there married, February 1. 1843. and soon after that



event came to this county, making his home on
section 33, Jackson Township. The land at that
early day was in its original wildness, and as
there were no roads, the only way in which the
fanul}- could find their way about the country was
by means of blazed trees, and even. then they very
frequently were lost in the woods. The fatlier
made his home on that place for forty years, dur-
ing which time he witnessed and aided greatly in
bringing about wonderful improvements. He de-
parted this life October 9, 1878, while his good wife,
who still survives, resides on the old homestead.
i\Ir. and iSIrs. Hawver were the parents of two chil-
dren, the brother of our subject being Dr. W. H.
Hawver, who married Miss Maiy McCormick and
makes his home in Santa Fe, Logan County. Iii
religious affaii-s, they always took -an active part,
the father being .Steward and Class-leader in the
Methodist Episcopal Church, in which denomina-
tion his wife is also a member. He kept himself
thoroughly posted in regard to politics and on the
organization of the Republican party joined its
ranks. He served in many positions of trust and
honor in his township and for many years was an
efficient member of the School Board.

Cieorge W. Hawver was born on the old home
farm in this township, June 1, 1849. He was there
reared to man's estate and, in addition to receiv-
ing a thorough training by his excellent parents,
was given the opportuiiit}- for obtaining a good
education. He aided his father in carrying on the
estate until after his marriage, which event oc-
curred December 11, 1870, when Miss .Sarah 31.,
daughter of John M. and Druscilla (Meranda)
Burditt became his wife. Her parents were natives
of Clarke County, this State, the father being born
August 23, 1819, and the mother April 20, 1830.
Her father was a son of Booth Burditt, an early
settler in Logan County, where he was a local
preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. The
maternal grandparents of Mrs. Hawver were New-
land and Hannah (Lowe) Meranda, the father born
December 28. 1804, in "Virginia, in which State
the mother also w.as born February 14, 1806.
Thev emigrated to this State in 1827, making
their advent into Shelby County ten years later,
locating in Port Jefferson. After a residence there



PORTRAIT AND BIUGRAPIIK'AL RECORD.



295



of three yeai's, Mr. aufl Mrs. JMeranda made their
home on section 22. Jackson Township, where the
father died.

The parents of Mrs. Hawver were married in
J.acl<son T()wnshi|i, Novt'niluT 1(5. 1851, and then
located on a farm where IVinberton village now
stands. The fatlior dyin- ,lune IC. I^.ji, Jlrs.
Burditt was married In liulla Klaiul, liy whom slic
became the motlier of six cliildren. RoUa Bland
died Jl.ay 17, ISGo, while a iiioniber of the Unicm
army in the late war. and his widow was married,
September 1), ISGy, to .hiali (Jlick, and to them
w.as born one sou. Kdiuund .J. Mr. Glick died
October 28, 18111, and Ills wife, who still survives,
makes her home in Jackson Center, this township.

;\Irs. Ilawvcr, who w.as the only child of her mo-
ther's first marriage, was born October 27, 1852, in
thi> town>lu|). Iler parents were members of the
3Ietliodist ICpiscopal Cluirch, in which body her
father had been Class-leader for many yeai-s. In
his political relations, he was in sympatliy with and
voted for the candidates of the Whig party. The
wife of our subject w.as given .an excellent educa-
tion, supplementing the knowledge gained in dis-
trict schools by a thorough course in the High
.School at .Sidne}', and after completing her studies
taught school in this county.

After his marriage, our subject resided for four
j-ears on the old home farm and in 1874 removed
to his present estate, which then bore but slight
improvements. IIis jiropcrty includes eighty acres,
wliich his industry and good judgment have placed
under excellent tillage until it ranks among tlie
best in the township. To himself and wife have
been liorn four children, namely: Frederick B..
who wa.> l)urn September 2, 1873, died December 1.
187.J; Oliver C. was born September 30, 187(j;
Ilarley II.. January 21. ISSl.and Ethel Dru.-ciUa.
July 11. 18.-;5.

Mr. and Mrs. Ihuvver arc members of the Meth-
odist Ei)isci>|ial Churcli and take an active part in
all the workings of the same. ^Ir. Ilawvcr having
been Trustee and Superintendent (jf tlu' Sunday-
school, lie has Ijcen greatly interested in educa-
tional affairs, h.as given his children good educa-
tiou'^ and scrv>-d as a nu-inber of tlie local and
township School Board for l wche years, Socially, |



he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which
order he has been Secretary, and with his wife is a
charter member of the Grange. In the latter or-
der, our subject has been Master and Mrs. Hawver
h.as been the incumbent of every official position
to which Ladies arc entitled and at the present tiine
is Pomona in the lodge. A stanch Republican in
politics, he of whom we write occupies an honored
position among his fellow-townsmen, whom he has
served as Trustee for six years, and as Committee-
man for many terms.

William Hughes, the maternal grandfather of
our subject, was born in Kentucky, in 17'J7. He
w.as a carpenter by trade and on coming to this
State located in Miami County, where he owned a
valu.able farm of eighty .acres, which he later sold
for 18,000. The lady to whom he was married
bore the name of Elizabeth Hopkins and to them
were born four children, who grew to mature years,
viz.: Lucinda, the mother of ciur subject; Eliliu.
Maria ami Dr. William, the latter of whom is en-
g.aged in the active practice of his profession in
Washington, D. C, whither he removed in 1881.



m^^m^^B



■ ^ R. C. M. FISHER. Among the people of
Logan County, .as well as the surrounding
counties, the name that heads this sketch is
by no means :in unfamiliar one. For many years
ho has been actively and successfully occupied in
the ]irosecution of his chosen profession, and dur-
ing this time his career as a pr.actitioner and
thorough student of medicine won for him no
less a reputatii.in than have his personal charac-
teristics as a citizen and neighbor.

His father, John 11. Fisher, was- born in Berks
County, Pa., on the 27th of November. I805, and
w;rs tliere. reared to ra;iture year^. and learned the
h;itter"s trade, following that for a series of
years in Pennsylvaui.a. He w:is married in the
same county to Miss Elizalieth .Marshall, a native
of Schuylkill County, Pa., born on the I'Jth of
August, 1807, ;uid in 1834 came to .'^tark County,



296



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Ohio, where he remained until 1836. From there
he moved to Logan County of that State, located
in Rush Creek Township, and followed farming.
Here his death occurred ou the 11th of December,
1871. .ind ho was followed to the grave by his
wife on the 29th of M.-iy, 1879. This worthy
couple had shared each other's joys and sorrows for
a period of over forty-live yeai-s, and had many
warm friends, for they were upright and honor-
able in every walk of life. He was a member of
the Disciples Church, and the wife was a member
of the Presbyterian Church from childhood. He
was interested in educational affaii-s, holding the
office of .School Director, and in politics, he uiiheld
the principles of the Democratic party. He and his
wife were buried side by side in New Salem ceme-
tery, this county.

Our subject's paternal grandfather, Henry Fi-^lier,
w.as originally from Berks County, Pa., ami fol-
lowed farming there until his death, when quite
an aged man. His father was a native of Ger-
many, and left the land of his birth for this
country wlien a young man. He settled in Penn-
sylvania, and there resided until his death. The
maternal gr.andfather of our subject, Conrad Mar-
shall, w.as a native of Schuylkill Count}-, Pa., born
December 17, 1772, .and was a farmer. He came
to Ohio in 1834, settling in Zanesfield, Logan
Count}", and kept hotel until he retired from .ac-
tive life, his death occurring on the 10th of Feb-
ru.arj", 18.57, when eighty-five years of age. Ilis
father, John Marshall, w.as a native of France,
and came to America at a period antedating the
Revolutionary War. He served in this war, .and
was (jne of the early settlei^s of Pennsylvania.

Of the four sons born to his parents. Dr. C. M.
Fisher was second in firder of birtii. Tlie eldest
child died in infancy; .Iiilin ^M.. another son.
was born in Logan County on the ;31st of .Janu-
ary, 1842. and is now a farmer <jf Hardin County,
Ohio. Our subject fii-st saw the light of day in
Logan County, Rush Creek Township. Ohio, on
the ItJth of December. 1839. and tliere grew to
manhood. His first scholastics training was in the
log schoolhouse of early d.ays. and he remained in
the s.ame until sixteen years of a^i'. whi'ii he at-
tended school at BellefoMtaiue fur four \ cars.



graduating from the institution of learning there.
Being possessed of a more than ordinary degree of
intelligence, he began teaching at the age of
eighteen years, and when twenty \-ears of age he
began the study of medicine with Dr. Cooper, of
Bellefontaine. After completing his course of
reading with that physician, he attended the
Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio, and
graduated in 1862, subseqnenth' locating where he
now resides, in Rushsylvania, where he has a large
.and lucrative practice.

His marriixge with Miss Mary Elizabeth Ansley
occurred in Logan County, Rush Creek Township,
On the 3d of !March, 1863. She w.as born on the
5th of June, 1841. and w.as the third child and
second daughter of four children born to George
and Deliver.ance (Johnson) Ansley, natives of the
Blue Grass State, the father born on the 8th of
November, 1807, and the mother ou the 17th of
April of the following year. The parents moved
to Ohio at an earh' date, and both passed away
here, the mother ou the 2.5th of December, 1879,
and the father on the 29th of August, 1882. They
were well known throughout Logan County, and
were universally respected.

Our subject and wife became the parents of five
children, two daughters and three sons: Frank A.,
born J.anuar3- 31, 1864, and married September
4, 1889, to Jliss Sarah E. .Shaw, now resides in
Rushsylvania; Anna JMay, born Ma}' 31, 1867,
is the wife of Lewis Fawcett. of Rushsylvania, and
has one son, Marshall; Cieorge E., born March 14,
1870; JIary K.. born December 25, 1872, is the
wife of Horatio Cline, of Belle Centre, Ohio; Allen
:\rarshall. born August 21, 1886, is at home.

Dr. Fisher is a member of the National Medical
Eclectic Association, and also a member of the
Ohio State Eclectic Medical Association. He is
one of the most prominent and successful physi-
cians of the county, as his many patients now
liyini: can testify. He was made a Mason in
1864 at Belle Centre Lodge No. 347, and is a
member of LaFayette Chapter, of Bellefontaine,
Ohio. Heisalso a member of Rush I>odge No. 381,
I. O. O. F., and is a charter member of the same.
He and Mrs. Fislier are active workers in the Dis-
ciples Church, in wliicli they hold membership, and



PORTRAIT AND BlOGRAPmCAL RECORD



29;



he is a Democrat in politics. He was a member of
tlie Board of Education for a period of twelve
3'eai-s, and has held other minor offices in the
township. In 1887. he was a candidate for Represen-
tative on the Domocratic ticket, and r.an far ahead
of his ticket, but, on account of the overwhelming
majority of Republicans, was defeated. lie was
elected Township Clerk on two occasions, and was
a member of tlie City Council at various times,
lie is one of the best-informed and most promi-
nent citizens of the county, and is thoroughly
qualified to hold almost any position. He has
many warm friends, and is popular with all classes.



■ ILLIAM KETTLER. The stories of the
i\ A/// wonderful physical resources of America
V^'^S and the opportunities afforded here for
personal aggrandizement, have attracted hither
m.any natives of the Lands .across the sea. The
agricultural districts of our country contain man}-
German-American citizens who are, almost with-
out exception, energetic, thriftv and prosperous.
In Shelby County this class is represented, and
one of the number is the subject of tliis sketch,
who is located at Kettlersville, A'an Buren Town-
ship, and in addition to superintending the opera-
tions of his farm, is the owner of a general store,
and Postmaster of the village. He came to Amer-
ica without means, and has in a comparatively
.short time accumulated a comfortable fortune.

Our subject was born .Tune 17, 1828, in Prussia.
and is the son of Christian and Anna Kettler. al.-o
natives of the Fatherland, whence they c:\nie to
America in 1847, and immediately located in New
Bremen, this State. There the father purch.ased
a. farm and lived for several years. He subse-
quently tiiok up Ills al.)iide in Van Burcii Town-
ship, this county, and liere died in 1883, when in
his eighty-third year. His good wife, who became
the mother of seven children, died in lier eighty-
fourth year.

He of whom wc write w:i; reared on the liome



farm in Prussia, and received a good education in
the model schools of his native land. He w.as six-
teen years of age when he set sail from New
Bremen and handed in Baltimore, after a tedious
voyage of eleven weeks on the ocean. He came
direct to this State and located at IS'e\v Bremen,
where he worked for two years on a farm. He
then began clerking, being thus engaged foraltout
four yeai-s, and then launched out in business on
his own account, and was thus employed for thir-
teen years, at the expiration of wliich time he sold
his store and came to V.an Buren Township, where
he purchased a tract of land on section lo. He
cleared and improved his acre.age and a few years
ago erected a sawmill on his farm, from which
branch of business he is deriving a comfortable
income.

The lady to whom Mr. Kettler was married in
18.52 was Miss Louise Borner, of New Bremen,
this State. To them have been granted a familv
of five children: Julius, Sophi.a, Matilda, and two
who died in infancy. A Democrat in politics, our
subject has served as Assessor of his township and
as member of the Council in New Bremen. With
his wife, lie is a member of the Lutheran Church,
and gives liberally of his means towards its sup-
port. He cng.agcd in business in Kettlersville,
which w.as named in his honor, about ten years ago,
and is conducting a successful business .as general
merchant.



EORGE H. STROH, one of the practical
- and intelligent young farmers of Auglaize
J County, has developed a fine farm from a
tract of wild prairie land on section 7, Pusheta
Township, which compares f.avorably in point of
improvement and cultivation witli the best in this
township. He is tlie son of .Tohn Stroll, who was
born in 1815 in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, where he
was also a farmer. The father emigrated to the
New World in 18:54, and. h)cating in Butler
Count\-, this Sl.ite, was engaged in teaming for



298



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



some time. Later, removing to tliis county, lie
worked for a sliort time on the canal and then
settled in Washington Township, this county,
where he is now living at the advanced age of
seventy-seven years.

The motlier of our subject, wlio bore the m.Tidon
name of Eliza Jliller, was also a native of Cier-
iiiaiiy. and by a former marri.ige had born to hor
two children, onl^' one of whom is living. George
H. Stroll of this sketch was the youngest but one
in the family of six children comprised in the
parental family. Lis birth occurring in Washing-
ton County, August 7, 1858. He was educated in
the public scliools, and remained at home until
reaching his majority, when he rented a farm for
two 3'ears.

In the year 1880, Mr. Stioh and Jliss Minnie E.,
daughter of Adam and JIary Englehaupt, were
united in marriage. Her parents were botli na-
tives of Germany, tlie father being born in 1818,
in Bavaria, and the mother in 1822, in Hesse-Cas-
sel. :Mr. Englehaupt emigrated to America .as early
as 1 830, and coming directly to this county, was en-
gaged for four months at his trade, that of a shoe-
maker. He then located on a tract of land, which he
cleared, .and erected tliereon a log cabin. Ho had
a hard struggle in tliose pioneer times to get a
start in life, but by hard work has succeeded in
acquiring a comfortable position in life. Mrs. .
Stroh is the only survivor of their family of eight
children. They were both members of the St.
Paul's Presbyterian Church of Wapakoneta, toward



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 33 of 76)