W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 35 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 35 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Northwestern Ohio Medical Association, the Shelby
County Medical Society and the Ohio State Jled-
ical Society. lie and ^Irs. Dine are wortliy mem-
bers of the Catholic Churcli. Tlicy luive a fine
residence, one of the best in Minster, and are hon-
or.ible and useful members of societv.



I>^^<^



1^ ENRV IIKLLBrSClI. Augl.aize County is
ijfjj an Eden of fine farms and .agricultural
j\^ tracts. Thei'C are comparatively few very
(^) small tracts, and each farmer tries to outdo
his neighbor in the cultivation .and improvement
of his land. Of the many fine attractive places,
none are more conspicuous tlum that belonging to
our subject, and located on section 14, near New
Bremen. Jlr. Hellbusch is engaged in farming and
stock-raising and has some of tlie best stock in his
section.

Our subject is a native of this county, his birth
occurring on the farm where he now lives, on the
1st of July, 1844, and he comes of sturdy German
stock. His father. Jolin Hellbusch, was born in
Oldenburg. Germany, in 180j, and was engaged
in sheep-herding in his native countr}- until 1835,
when he came to America. He was nine weeks in
cro.ssing the oce.an, and he lauded in New York on
the 4tli of July of that year. He visited Albany,
Buffalo, Cleveland, Columbus. Springfield and
Dayton, coming all the way by team from .Vlbany,
and finally purchased a tract of wild land, foi'ty
acres for ¥130, near New Bremen. On this he
erected a log house and began his career as a pio-
neer. Wild game was plentiful, some Indians
were btill in the county, and settlei-s live<l some



distance apart. Mr. Hellbusch was one of the first
settlers of the townsliip, and was a man whose
honest\- and uprightness won liim the respect of
all. He died in 1875. He was a member of St.
Paul's Lutlieran Churcli, and was an Elder and
Trustee in the same. When he started out for
himself, he liad very little means, but being indus-
trious and entcri)rising, he soon accumulated a
comfortable competence. His wife, a native of
German}', whose maiden name was Mary Heseker,
came with her parents to America in 1836, and on
the 29th of February, 1838, she was married to
Mr. Hellbusch. She died in 1852. Mr. Hellbusch 's
second marriage w.as to Mrs. Charlotta Fahrnhoart,
a widow and a native of Prussia. Slie died in
1880.

The original of this notice was the only son of
the first marriage, and was one of five children,
only three of whom now survive. He attended
the district school in New Bremen and received a
good education in the German language. He re-
mained and assisted on the farm until after the
death of the father, when he took charge of the
same and has conducted it successfully ever since.
Progressive and thorough in all that he does, he
h.as met with unusual success and is classed among
the representative farmers and stock-raisers of the
county. On the 18th of June, 1868, he selected
Miss Mary Neddermann.a native of German Town-
ship, this county, as his companion in life. She is
also of German descent, for her f.othcr, William
Neddermanii, was born in Germany, and came to
America in 1848. He followed agricultural pur-
suits in this country, and is still living.

Mr. and Jlrs. Hellbusch are the parents of five
children: William. Sophia, Edward, Lydia and
John (deceased). .\ Democrat in his predilections,
Mr. Hellbusch has ever voted with that party. He
has been Township Trustee for the p.ast eight years,
and w.ts Land Appraiser in 1890. He has also
held other local offices, and has been a delegate to
countv and district conventions. He is a promi-
nent and influential citizen and is esteemed and
honored in the community, and is a member of
St. Paul's Church and an active and progressive
worker in the same. .\t the present time, he
is the President of the New Bremen Tri-County



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RFX'ORD.



309



Fair Association and is a stockholder and Direc-
tor in the same. He is also the President and
a stockholder of the Xew Bremen Coach Horse
Company. The owner of eighty acres of good
))roductive land, in connection with agricultural
pursuits, he is also engaged in raising Short-
horn cattle. Mr. Hellbusch is one of the best-
informed men of tlie county, is thoroughly posted
on all subjects, and is very popular.



^#i#^li-$n^ll



EdIOMA.S S. STlTiGEOX is still living on
the farm on section 4, St. Mary's Town-
. ship (now included within the corporate

limits of the city of St. Mary's), where he was
born November 23, 1842. He h.as risen to be one
of the thrifty, well-to-do farmers of his native
county, and his farm, which owes a part of its
value to its situation in the oil region, compares
favorably witli the best in the locality.

Our subject is a son of Thomas Sturgeon, who
was one of the fii-st settlers of St. Mary's Town-
ship, and stood high in the estimation of all who
knew him. He was born in Mifflin County, Pa.,
in 1803. In 1819, he accompanied his parents in
their migration to Miami County, this State, and
in 1829 he was married to Mary D. Ross, who was a
native of the same Pennsylvania county as him-
self. The following year, he and his young wife
came to St. Clary's to locate upon the quarter of
section 4 that he had entered from the Govern-
ment in 1826. They found the country still in
all its natural wildness and beauty, with but few-
attempts at development, and they led a typical
inoneer life, undergoing all the discomforts and
trials incidental to life on the frontiers of civiliza-
tion. There were no good roads, that le.iding
south to Piqua. wliere they went for Hour and
other articles, lieing K-arcelv more than a rousfli
pathway marked by blazed trees. Indians still
lived in the forests all the way from Wapakoneta
to Oldtown. where their chief dwelt, and would
frequently call at .Mr. Sturtfeon's house to ask for



food or to exchange a haunch of venison for a
loaf of bread. Mr. Sturgeon would sometimes
kill a deer, but he did not care for hunting. His
sole capital after he settled on his farm was fifty
cents, but he was blessed with good courage to
overcome all ol)st.acles that interfered with his
plans, and he w.as industrious in his habits, working
with a stout heart to make a home for himself
and wife, who cheerfully assisted him. He split
timber to make the frame for his dwelling, split
puncheons for the Boor thereof, and in that hum-
ble abode he and Mrs. Sturgeon began housekeep-
ing, living in it the firet winter without its being
weather-boarded, but with brush set up around it to
keep out the cold. Ilis axe, drawing knife, maul,
and wedge were the only tools with which he was
provided in building his house. He was much
prospered, became one of the solid men of the
township, and died lamented at a rijie age. May
5. 1875. He was a quiet, reserved man, of few
words, which were alwaj-s to the point, and he
was strictly tempeiate in all things. He held va-
rious local offices, and he helped to organize the
Presbyterian society at St. Mary's, .acting as Elder
of the church until his death. His good wife died
before he did. her demise occurring December 5,
1808. They liad eight children, four of whom
grew to maturity, and three are now living, our
subject being the only surviving son. His <Tand-
father, Moses Sturgeon, w.as a native of Pennsyl-
vania, and was of .Scotch-Irish extraction. He
was a farmer and one of the early settlers of
Miami County, the farm Ih.at he hewed from the
wilderness being still in the Sturgeon name.

Our subject first attended the district school
nearest his home, and when about fifteen yeare old
was sent to the village school at .St. Jlarv's. He
aided his father in carrying on the farm until the
latter died, and he then simply began where his
father left off. coming into possession of the farm,
and taking up the work that he laid down. He
has one hundred and thirty-two acres of land on
his farm, which is in a fine condition as to culti-
vation and improvement, and is an attractive
place for a home. (Jil has been found beneath
the surface in paying quantities, and he leases his
land at a good price fur oil purjui^es. He is a



310



PORTRAIT AKD BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



mau of sterling, loundaboiit common-seuse, of a
pleasant, obliging disposition, a generous neigh-
bor, and all that a man should he in his domestic
relations — a devoted husband and an affectionate
father. He is likewise loval in his citizenship to
his native towniship and county, and the Repub-
lican party finds in him a strong supporter.

Mr. Sturgeon w.as married. May 5, 1881, to Miss
Rebecca S., daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Snod-
gr.oss) Crow, who were Virginians by birth. They
came to Ohio about 1853, and settled on a farm in
Mercer County, where tlie father died soon after.
The niotlier is still living. She w.as well educated,
and at one time taught school. Mrs. Sturgeon is
gifted with a bright, intelligent, refined mind, and
has a fine recordasate.acher of fourteen years' ex-
perience, entering upon the profession when very
young, receiving her first certificate when she was
only thirteen years old. She is a sincere Chris-
tian, and a member of the Presbyterian Church,
ller marriage with our subject has brought them
these three cliildren: Mary, William T. and
Edward M.



^S^EV. WILLI.\M .MILLER, an honore<l niin-
\Vf^' ister of the Lnitcd Brethren Church, has
^\ been preaching the Gospel for a half-cen-
"' tnry. He is a man of true piety .and deep
religious convictions, a Christian in word and
deed, and has not only done good work in tlie
church, but has thrown the weiglit of his in-
fluence on the side of morality and right-living at
all times, and h.as made the community better for
his residing in it. He owns forty acres of land in
Union Townsliip. .\nglaize County. He rents his
property but is at present residing on the place.

Daniel Miller, the father of our subject, was
born March 29, 1802. in Virginia. and is the son of
Daniel Miller, who kept an hotel in Pickaway
County, this State, during the War of 1812. The
maiden naini' of our subject's motlior was Mary



Ann Cole; she was born in Maryland in 1805, and
was the daughter of Stephen Cole, a farmer by oc-
cupation. Daniel Miller, Jr., was an infant when
brought to tliis State by his parents, and here
grew to manliood in Pickaway County. He was
married December 5, 1822, in Fairfield County,
and in 1835 moved to tliis localit}- and took up
his abode in I'nion Township, on section 17. Tlie
land was in a perfectly wild condition and Mr.
Miller w.as compelled to cut his way through the
woods to his new home. He there erected a small
log cabin and was residing on the farm at the time
of bis decease, which occurred October 8, 1885.
His good wife, who became the mother of eleven
children, followed him to the better land November
22, 1891. They were zealous membei-s of the
United Brethren Churcli, in which body the father
w.as Class-leader for man}- years and a prominent
singer. In politics, lie joined tlie Republican party
on its organization.

A native of Pickaway County, tiiis SLate, our
subject was born .September 8, 1823, and, being
reared on a farm, was given only a common-school
education. When reaching his m.ajority, he was
married November 15, 18-13, to Miss Elizabeth L.,
daughter of .Lames and Maria (Hoffman) Finlaw,
n.atives of New Jersey, the father being born Jan-
uary 26, 1799, and tlie motlier November 8, 1803.
Mr. and jMrs. Finlaw emigrated to the Buckej'e
.State in 1837, and took up their abode on a par-
tially improved farm in this township, where they
died in 1884 and 1880, respectively. They were
good Christian people and were influential mem-
bers of the United Brethren Church, though in
former years they were members of the Baptist de-
nomination. In politics, the father voted with the
Republican party.

Jlrs. Jliller. who was tlie only child born to her
parents, was born February 13, 1825, in Salem
Countv, N. .L, wliere she was given a fair educa-
tion. Her husband became a member of the
Methodist P2piscopal Church when fifteen years of
a£e, and five vears later began preaching. He has
since cast his lot with the United Brethren Cliurch
and w.as granted a license to preach, September 18,
1842, in a quarterly conference, and was given a
license March 31, 1845. in the annual conference.





^^^




PORTRAIT AXD BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



313



He has been assigned to preach at different places,
and has never missed a single annual conference
since he has been a member. llis ordination
license was granted January IS, 1848, and during
the greater portion of the time since that date be
has traveled over his district as Presiding Kldcr.

The first year in whicli the Rev. Mr. JMiller
traveled as a preaclier, ho had twenty-four ap-
pointments, and the distance around the circuit
was three hundred miles, the entire journey being
made on horseback through wood and marsh, and
for thirteen years he never missed a single ap-
pointment. He lias taken an active part in educii-
tional matters, and lias served as Trustee of im-
portant institutions.

Mr. and Mi-s. Miller luive never been blessed
with children of tlieir own. hut liave performed
the part of parents to five orplians. tliree of whom
are now living. Until a few years ago, our sub-
ject has always voted tlie Ropulilican ticket, and
at two different times was c'lndidate for Represen-
tative on the Prohibition ticket, with which party
he is now identified. Jlr. Jliller is the oldest
minister in the conference, and has preached more
funeral sermons tlian any other half-dozen min-
isters. His wife is also an active worker in the
church and whoever crosses her threshold is sure
of a cordial welcome.



'(€



^.|[OHN GRABIEL, oneof Oliio's native sons,
was born in Licking County, on tlie Ttli of
December, 181.'), and is now residing two
miles southeast of Rushsylvania. wliere he
owns a very fine farm, and a very pleasant and
cozy lionie. He i> one of tlie pioneer settlei-s of
this section and is a man who is strictly temperate
in every respect. lie lia.-^ never used tobacco in
any form, was never drunk, and has not t.asted
strong drink for forty years. He lias ahvay- en-
joyed the best of liealtli, owing no doulit to liis
temperate habits, and was never so ill but that he
could care for himself. He is greatly respected for



his honesty and uprightness, has a host of warm
friends and not an enemy in the world.

John Grabiel, father of our subject, w.as a native
Virginian, born in Shenandoah County in 1797,
the only son of Jacob Grabiel, who was of German
descent and a member of the Duukard Church. John
Grabiel w.as married in the Old Dominion to Miss
Jlay Ha.as, a native of that State, born in 1708, and
also of German descent, and directly afterwards lo-
cated on a farm in his native State, where he re-
mained until 181.5. Then learning of the fertile
fields of Ohio, he emigrated to this State and set-
tled on a farm in Licking County. He resided on
three different farms, the last one being three miles
Northwest of Utica. and after living there for some
time moved to Utica where his death occurred in
18.52. He and his wife were members of the United
Presbyterian Church. In politics, he was a Demo-
crat until 1852 when he voted the Free Soil ticket.
His wife died in 18.5:3, and they are buried side bv
side in I'tica cemetery.

Ten of the thirteen children born to the parents
of our subject grew to mature" j-ears, three having
died in infancy. Hannah married Shredrick Goff
and died leaving four children; David died in
1892; Catherine is deceased; Elizabeth married
Jacob Rabb and died leaving three children, one
of whom died in the army; John is our subject;
Margaret is the nest in the family circle; Jacob
resides in Rush Creek Township; :Mary Ann mar-
ried John Deary, and died leaving one child:
George is deceased, and Aaron makes his home in
Rush Creek Township.

Our subject, the fifth child and second son, was
reared in his native county and walked two miles
to the subscription schools, taught in a log school-
house with gre.ased paper for windows, mud and
stick chimney, and all the other clumsy c(_intriv-
ances of early days. During the latter part of his
schoolboy days he attended school in a hewn-log
house in Licking County. He also attended night
school and studied grammar, thus havinar the ad-
vantage of many of the children of iiis dav. When
not attending school he was activelv engao-ed in
assisting his father ou the farm and remained with
his parents unlil 1817, when he came to Loiran
County. He and his brother .Jacob had bouylit



314



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



four huudiecl aud forty-eight acres in 1846, in
Riisli Creek Township, the farm where our
subject now resides, and there were about eight
acres cleared at that time. On tliis iT*ir subject
located and began tlie work of clearriig and im-
luoving. He built a hewn-log house, two stories
in height, and worked on his farm, hoarding witli
different families for ten years.

.Satisfied that he could bring a wife to a com-
fortable home, our subject was married on the 31st
of December, 1857, to Miss .Sarah D. Tharp, a n.a-
tive of Jefferson Townsliip, Logan County, born
on the 28th of November, 1834, of the union of
William and Jlary (P'pley) Tharp, natives respect-
ively of Virginia and New, Jersey. 3Ir. Tharp was
one of the earliest settlers of Logan County, was
Overseer of tlie Poor, and a man highly respected
bv all. He was an Elder in the church for fifty
years and was President at the organization of
old Tharp Run church in Jefferson Township, the
same being named in honor of him. He was the
father of five children, Mrs. Gr.abiel being the
fourth in order of birth. He was honored and
esteemed for his many estimable qualities, peace-
able and unassuming in bis m.anner, never had a
lawsuit, never took a taste of intoxicating liquor
in his life, and never but one dose of medicine,
lie passed away when seveut3'-six years of age.

Our subject brought his bride to a good lujme
and on this farm they have resided ever since, the
former engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock
raising, at which he excels. His union was blessed
by the birth of nine cliildren, six daughtei-s and
three sons, viz: Luthera Q. died at the age of three
years; Mary E. died when .about eleven months
old; 'William H. married Miss Bessie Hopkins, of
Pokes Creek Township; ElmaV. isthe wifeof Pi-of.
C. S. D. Shawan, professor of the school at Utica.
(The latter "s brother Jacob is Superintendent of tlie
schools of Columbus). John W. is Superintendent
of the schools at Belle Centre, Oliio; Herman H.
married :Miss Blancli Williams; R. Olga is the wife
of Charles Ansley, a photographer, of Rushsylvania;
S. Libbie, and Anna Lois are at home. All were
born and reared on the farm where our suliject now
resides. Mr. Grabiel owns two luiiidred and
twentv-forlv acres in the homestead, one humhed



and seventy-eight acres in Bokes Creek Township,
and one hundred and eight acres about a mile
southeast of the home pl.ace near Walnut Grove,
five hundred and nine acres in all. He has one of
the very best farms in the county, and there is not
an acre of the soil that could not be tilled. In
connection with farming, lie h.as been quite exten-
sively engaged in stock-raising and has been very
successful. In politics, he has been a Repblican
since the formation of that part}' and is still an
advocate of its principles. He and his wife are
meinl)ers of the Presbyterian church m Rushsyl-
vania, of which he has been a member since seven-
teen years of age, and has been active in all
church work, having served as Elder. Mrs. Gr.abiel
is a lady in the true sense of that term and is one
of the noted housekeepers of her section.

A portrait of Mr. Grabiel accompanies this sketch
of his life.



^\M^^^^^



\tj'EROME B. WALTON is one of the pro-
gressive farmers and well-to-do citizens of
^^ I Union Township, Auglaize County. He
^i^f/ operates one hundred and sixt^'-niue acres
of valuable land on section 5, which farm is recog-
nized as one of the best in the county. It is com-
plete in all its appointments, its arrangements hav-
ing been made with an ej-e to convenience, and it
seems to be lacking in no particular.

.Joseph B. and Susan (Brintling) Walton, the
parents of our subject, are natives respectively of
Marvland and Ohio. The father was bora in 1805,
and was brought l)y his parents to this State when
a small boy, being reared to manhood in the vicin-
ity of Circleville. Mrs. Walton was born in Pick-
away Count}', while her parents hailed from Penn-
sylvania. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs.
Walton resided for a time in Fairfield County, and
in 1836 took up their abode in this section, locat-
ing upon the farm where our subject is at pres-
ent residing. When he arrived here, he had
but io in money, a cow and oue hur;e. He



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



315



erected a round-log house on the land, which
was in a perfectly wild state, and b_v hard work,
cleared a large portion of tlie place. They reared
a family of nine children, only two of whom arc
now living. The father departed this life in
1853, being followed to the better land by his wife,
she dying in 1870. Mr. and Mrs. Walton were
conscientious membei-s of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, being regular attendants and active
workers in all the meetings of that body. In his
political relations, the former w.os a stanch Demo-
crat.

Jerome B. Walton w.as born May 27, 1833, in
Franklin County, this State, and was three years
of age when brought to this county by his parents.
The school advantiges in that early day are noth-
ing to be compared with the opportunities af-
forded the youth of the present generation, and.
like other farmer lads, our subject's education was
limited. Ilis father being in poor health, he w.as
comiielled to go to work when quite young, to
aid in the support of the family. In 1844, they
had the misfortune to all bo sick at once, the farm
work suffering to such an extent that not even an
ear of corn was raised. After the death of his
father, our subject remained at home and carried
on the estate, and later bought the interest of tlie
other heirs.

Miss Susan, daughter of Leonard and Elizabeth
(Wingard) Sellars, was united in marriage with
our subject in 1858, Mi-s. Walton, who w.as born
March 16, 1837, in Bucks Countv, Pa., became the
mother of six children, of whom we make the fol-
lowing mention of the three living: Xeola, now Mrs.
J. C. Watt, who resides in this township, as does
also Eliza Ellon. :\Irs. Frank Rigdon; and F. P.,
wlio married ^Mi.-^s Etta Lusk.and lives on the home
place.

As before stated, Mr. Walton is engaged in gen-
oral farming, having one hundred and twenty
acres of the estate under good cultivation. The
farm is adorned with all the needful outbuildings,
and a comfortable residence m which the family
reside was erected by himself. In local affairs, he
has been School Director for the past thirty years.
Assessor four years and Land Appraiser in 1880-
S)0. He has also been the incumbent of the office of



Township Trustee, and in politics is a stanch ad-
herent of the Democrat party. Mrs. Walton holds
membership in the Lutheran Church, and is a lady
of benevolcn' impulses, to whom the destitute
never ajipeal or aid in vain.



^t^ ^f ILLIAM T nx\l LAND, who takes a lead-
ing part in the manufactiu-ing interests of
Hellefontaine, is one of its most public-
spirited and enterprising citizens, and occupies the
position of Treasurer of the Chichester A- Haviland
Company, manufacturers of chairs and settees. lie
occupies a high position among the keen and suc-
cessful business men of this city, where he is ablv
conducting his extensive interests.

The onginal of this sketch, who w.as born in
Dutchess County, X. Y., February 23, 1860, is tlie
son of .1. C. and Eliz.abeth (Townsend) Haviland,
also natives of that State. The father, who has
been a very successful business man. is now living
a retired life in Plaintield. X. .T. William T., of
this sketch, w.as reared in his native State, and re-
ceived an excellent education in a boarding-school.
When a youth, he entered a store at Millbrook,
N. Y.. as a clerk, and. after being thus employed
for two years, moved to Poughkeepsie, where he
was likewise employed in a carpet store for eis:h-
teen months. Thence making his way West to Chi-
cago, young Haviland opened a wholesale chair
house, conducting business under the firm name of



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 35 of 76)