W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 41 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 41 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


identified himself with its every interest.



EVI .SHROYKR. The farming community
of Shelby County finds one of its most
successful representatives in this gentle-
man, who lias rendered eflfeetive service in ad-
vancing the agriculturalinterestsof .I.ickson Town-
ship. The farm which he owns and cultivates con-
sists of two hundred and seventy-nine acres, of
which he has cleared one hundred and twenty-five
acres through his personal efforts. The place is
embellished with a neat set of farm buildings,
conspicuous amon^ which is the sulistantial and
tastily furnislied residence, wliirli w.-is erected in
1.S71.

During the early part of this century, .John
Shroyer. father of our subject, emigrated from his
native .State. Pennsylvania, and made settlement
in Montgomery County, Ohio. There he w.as mar-
ried to Miss Ellizabeth .Shonk, a native of that



county, and a most estimable lady, who still sur-
vives, in the full possession of her mental faculties,
at the age of ninety-two years. After his mar-
riage, he settle<l on an unimproved tr.act of land
near IXayton. and cleared two farms in that local-
ity, where he remained until his death in 1876,
aged eighty-four years.

Four of the six children comprising the parental
family still survive, and one son, Andrew J.,
served with valor In the CivilW.ar. The religious
convictions of the parents brought them into fel-
lowship with the German Reformed Church, in
which he w.as prominent and influential. Politi-
cally, he was in sympathy- with the principles of
the Democratic party, and in the local political
affairs was a man of note.

The subject of this sketch was born in Jlontgom-
ery County, Ohio, October 18, 1825, and w.as reared
upon his f.ather's farm, which he aided in clearing
.IS soon as old enough to be of use. When ready
to establish a home of his own, he w.as marrie<l,
April 24, 18.53, to Sarah Ann, daughter of Martin
Himes, an early settler of Montgomery County.
Mrs. Sarah A. Shroyer was born in Montgomery
County, December 21, 1831, and died Ma}' 11,
1870, mourned not only in the immediate family
circle, but by the host of warm friends whom she
had won bj' her un.ossuming nobility of character
and kindness of heart.

Six of the ten children born of this union sur-
vive, as follows: Ziba C. married Matilda Yhelm,
and with his wife and three children resides in
Dayton; Elizabeth A. married S. I). Haney, of
Port .lefferson, and they have five sons; Louisa II.,
the widow of Louis A. lininer. makes her home
with our subject, .as dn also her two daughters;
3Iilton .T., who is a resident of Dinsinore Town-
ship, married Elizabetli Fre}', and they have two
sons; Edward S. married Annie Carson, and they
m.ake their home in Carth.agc. Ohio; Ida .1. is at
present te.aching in Dinsinore Townshi|i. ^lartha
Alice w.as formerly the wife of B. Smith, but is
now deceased.

The second marriage of Mr. Shroyer united him
with .Jane M. Erven, a native of Ohio, who died
December 21), 18:h), .aged forty-four years. She
w.as a devoted wife and an affectionate ini>ther.





/&r.





'S^^



c-eyC/e</'2:^<Lj^i^^g>c^c<^



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



355



:iiul at her death left tno daughters:, Nellie W. and
Mabel L., who are now attending school, and are
bright and interesting children. Forty years have
come and gone since Jlr. Shrover settled on his
present farm, and he has witnessed startling trans-
formations in the improvements of the county.
Altliongh his time is principally given to his pri-
vate duties, he maintains a deep interest in educa-
tional matters, and h.is served as Director in his
district. In politics, he is a Democrat, and casts
Ills ballut for the candidates of that part}'. He has
served as Treasurer of the Grange, and is also
identified with tlie Independent Order of Odd Fel-
h")W3.



L-^-^IIKO B. STEINEMANN. In presenting to
//S\ the readei-s of this volume the portrait and
V^2/ biography- of Jlr. Steinemann, we are per-
petuating the features and life work of one of
Minster's most influential citizens and popular
merchants. Excellent judgment and shrewd fore-
sight have contributed to his success, and his ex-
tensive mercantile, grain, lumber and pork inter-
ests have brought to him the .acquaintance of the
most people in this section of the Suite. Person-
ally, he is held in the highest esteem as a man of
sterling integrity, and is lionoi-ed alike for his
business and social standing.

Before noting minutely the events nhicli have
given character to the life of our subject, it may
not be amiss to narrate a few f.acts conceniing his
parentage. His father, John Henr_y Steinemann,
was born in Holdorff. Oldenburg. Germany, Octo-
ber 28. 180,s, and grew to manhood in his native
land. In 1832. he emigrated to America, and
after a short residence in Cincinnati, went .S(.)uth.
where lie sojourned about two years. In 18;55. he
married Miss Catherine G. Jleyers. and one year
later located three miles west of Minster (then
known as Stallotown). at a time when no roads
had been opened, blazed trees serving as guides
through the forest. After occupying that place
two or tliree yeai-s. he purchased other prcjperty



near Minster, where he erected a residence and
spent his declining years. Soon after changing
his residence, he was elected Justice of the Peace
and held that otlice witli little interruption until
his death.

In 1837, John H. Steinemann emliarked in the
manufacture of brick, and later w.as engaged in
other enterprises, such .as merchandising, real estate,
cooper.age and grain dealing. Ilis first enterprises
were started on a small scale, but as his business
increased, he eulai-ged his operations and became
one of the foremost men of tlie town. About
1851). he built a brick store and warehouse and
continued to ship all kinds of produce. At the
same time, he was eng.aged in the pork-p.acking
business, which he carried on very successfully.
Prosjierity rewarded his efforts and he became the
owner of a vast amount of property. His family
consisted of five children, four sons and one
daughter, as follows: .lohn II., Theo B., Frank J..
Charles and Mary. Mrs. Steineinann died on the
23d of ]M.ay, 1872. and Jlr. Steinemann followed
her to the grave on the 15th of January, 1877.
They were well respected in the commuuity in
which they lived and were among the most worthy
picjneei's.

Theo B. Steinemann was born in Jackson Town-
shii), Auglaize County, January 1, 183"J. He at-
tended the district school until about twelve vears
of age. and then began assisting his father in busi-
ness. In the fall of 18H0, he entered St. JIary's
College at Cincinnati, remaining there about two
years, and then returning home, engaged in busi-
ness with his father until the latter's death. lu
the division of the estate, he became his father's
successor in the extensive mercantile, grain and
pork business, which h.as Ijeen conducted so verv
successfully for many yeai-s. In 1883, Jlr. Steine-
mann and his brother Charles purchased the Min-
ster Brewery, which they operated in partnership
for aliout eight years, and in wliicli tlR-\- were verv
successful. During that time, the luewery was
destroyed by fire, but the pre>ent large luick estab-
li.-hment was rebuilt soon after. In 1890. thev
sold out to the Stai- Brewing Company, and since
tliat time our subject has given his entire atten-
tion to his merchandisiiiLT. sraiii. Iuml)er and ijork



3513



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



business. He has a very extensive and compli-
cated business, is a man of excellent business qual-
ifications and good habits, and a citizen who has
the highest regard of all who know him. The
Steinemann family occupies a leading position in
Minster society and its members are intelligent
and cultured people. Mr. Steinemann buys any-
thing a farmer has to sell and is prepared to sell
him anything he wishes to buj-.

In the year 1863, Mr. Steinemann was united in
marriage to Miss Elizabeth Wuendeln, a native of
Minster, Ohio, and nine children were born to this
marriage, as follows: John, Edward, Rosy, Louis,
Millie, George, Elenora, Luetta and Secilla. A
Democrat in his political views, Mr. Steinemann
has never sought ottice. preferring instead to at-
tend strictly to business. However, he held the
office of Township Clerk for fouryeai-s and Notary
Public six vears. He and his wife are both mem-
bers of the Catholic Church. Our subject is one
of the most sulistantial men of the count_v and is
the owner of extensive tracts of real estate, he and
his brother, John H., owning in partnership eight
hundred acres of land, beside valuable property
in Piqua and elsewhere.



j^ft^®!^



^ KRE:\nAIl .AIILLER, ex-County Commis-
sioner of Shelby County, was born January
7. 1830, in Montgomery County, this State.
Altliough receiving only a common-school
eduealion, his natural nient:il ability caused liim
til advance in wliatever field of labor he entered,
ancl since locating in Turtle Creek Township,
where he is at present residing, has been in vari-
ovis ways closely identified with the progress of his
section.

Frederick Miller, the father of our siihject. was
born in Berks County. Pa., and came to Ohio im-
mediately after his marriage, locating on unim-
l)roved land about fifteen miles from Dayton, in
Montgomery County. He was one of the early
settlers of that localitv, and followed farmina- there



for the remainder of his life, his death occurring
in 1841. The Miller family was of German de-
scent, and the gi'andfather of our subject, who was
a farmer in Berks County, Pa., served as a soldier
in the Mexican War.

The maiden name of our subject's mother was
Catherine Whitman, and she was also a native of the
above-named county and State. Like her husband,
she was a devoted member of the LTnited Brethren
Church, and departed this life in 1866. Jeremiah
of tliis sketch was the youngest in the parental fam-
ily of seven children, of whom those living are
Levi, who is married, and operating a farm in Ford
County, 111.; and Elvina, who is the widow of John
W. Apple, and resides in Darke County.

He of whom we write was reared on the home
farm, and received liis early education in the pio-
neer log schoolhouse, he being permitted to attend
school onh' during the winter months. When four-
teen years of age, our subject began working out
on farms near his home, and when sixteen years of
age received for his services $9 per month. On
attaining his majority, he began teaching school in
the little old house in District No. 8, Perrj- Town-
ship, Montgomery County. He subsequently
taught two terms of school in Preble County, and
one term after locating in this section. During
the summer season, he w.as engaged in raising to-
bacco, which he found to be a very inofitable busi-
ness.

In 1866, Jlr. Miller purchased a farm in Jack-
son Township, ^lontgomery County, wliich he sold
seven years later, and coming to tliis county, lo-
cated on eighty acres of land in Loraraie Town-
ship, of wliich he became tlie owner. He resided
on that tract until 1883, when he came to Sidney,
and remained during the four jeai-s of his incum-
bency of the County Commissioner's office. He
performed the duties of tliat position with credit
to himself and satisfaction to his constituents, but
at tlie expiration of his term of office, lias since re-
fused to accept other public positions, as he pre-
fer the comfort and quiet of his fireside to the
turmoil of civil life.

Mr. Miller purchased his present home in Turtle
Creek Township in 1891, .and since August of that
vear has been a resident thereon. His estate com-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGR^^PHICAL RECORD.



357



pi'ises eighty acres of valuable land, iu addition to
"liieli lie owns one luindred and forty acres of fine
land in Loramie Township. Ilis farnos bear splen-
did improvements in tlie way of buildings and
machinery, and in addition to raising the crops
which are best suited to the soil and climate, Mr.
Jliller h.'is stocked his estates with good grades of
animals. In beginning his career, he had no finan-
cial backing, but was obliged to depend entirely
upon his natural abilities and strength of will and
bijily. Right -well as he succeeded in his worldly
affairs, and his standing among his fellow-men is
that of a man of substance and genuine worth.

Ml-. Miller and Miss Anna Swihart. a native of
Montgomery County, this State, were united in
marriage April 26. LSfJO. Tlie lady is the daugh-
ter of .lonathan and .Siphia (Cloyd) Swihart, na-
tives, respective! V. of Pennsylvania and Virginia.
Her parents were early settlers in this .State, and
the father, who was a farmer, died in 1877.

To our subject and liis wife have been born
seven children, viz: Ilarvey (J., who is married,
and farming in Darke County, this .State; Levi P..
wlio is also married and living on the old home-
stead in Loramie Township; Lillie 0., who is the
wife of Charles E. Coven, makes her home in Day-
ton; Callie is deceased, as is also Nellie and the
eldest born; and William .S. is at home.

Our subject takes a prominent part in political
affairs, and easts his vote and influence in favor of
Democratic principles. He h.is represented his
party .as delegate to county, district and State con-
ventions, and has served as .School Director for
several years. While residing in Loramie Town-
ship, he was elected Clerk for one term, and filled
the office of Justice of the Peace for six years. Mr.
Miller was elected Commissioner of Shelby County
in the fall of 1885, and re-elected to the same po-
sition the following term, making a service of six
years. While County Commissioner, the County
Infirmary was erected, and many miles of turnpike
constructed. He devoted almost his entire time
and attention to looking after public business, and
as such has a good record, receiving the respect
and friendship of his felhjw-men. Mrs. Miller
is a most excellent lady, and an influential mem-
ber of the Lutheran Churcli. ()ur subject possesses



that energy and tact which invariably bring suc-
cess to the owner, and is adding to his popularity,
and also to his financial standing each jear, and
ranks high in tlie esteem of his community.






R. LANKORD PRATER. In tracing the
genealogy of the Prater family, we find
that the great-great-gi-audfather of our
~^ subject was a native of Vienna, and that

the City Park of that place was named by some
of his ancestors. He came to America at a period
ante-dating the Revolutionary War, settled in Ashe
County. N. C. and there tilled the sod until his
death, which occurred about the beginning of the
Revolution. His son, the great-grandfather of our
subject, served all through the Revolution. He
also cultivated the soil, and made his home in Vir-
ginia. His son, Newman Prater, w.asa native of the
Old Dominion. He served in the War of 1812,
had his leg broken at Norfolk, and was taken home,
where he died a month later. Agricultural pur-
suits had been his occupation in life, and his son,
John Prater, father of our subject, was also a suc-
cessful tiller of the soil.

The father of Dr. Prater was originally from
Floyd County. Va.. born January 1, 1800, and re-
mained there until fifteen years of age. He then
came to (^hio. settled in Highland County, where
he resided for about four years, and afterward lo-
cated in Champaign County. Two \-eai's later, he
made his advent into Logan County, and settled
near ZanesHeld. He had a patent, and took land
in Rush Creek Township, known .as the Marie Farm.
Many Indians were then in that county and wild
game was to be seen on every side. Mr. Prater
moved from there to another pl.ace three miles
away and kept a post-house ami wayside inn for
several years. From there he moved to Rush Creek
Lake, and bought one hundred and sixteen acres of
land, on which he made his home for about twenty-
five years. After this, he purch:ised a farm near



:3oS



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Jerusalem, Logau County, and afterward became
tbe owner of considei-able land along the Miami
River and in Hardin County. The last twelve
years of his life, he made his home with our sub-
ject and passed awa3- in 1880, when eighty years of
age. He had set out sixteen hundred fruit trees in
the county and was an industrious, thorough-going
citizen. He was a member of the Baptist Church,
took an active interest in all religious enterprises,
and, in politics, was a Democrat. He was a man
well known all over the county and was univer-
sally esteemed and lespected. He married Miss
Mary Pope, a native of Randolph Countv, N. C.
born on the 4tli of February, 1800, and to them
were born ten children, seven of whom grew to
mature years, namely: Levi, Alpheus, Ensley, Sv-
repta J., Samantha, Lanford and Salathial.

Tlie mother of our subject died on the anniver-
sary of her natal da}-, Fel)ruary 4, 1879. She was
a member of the Baptist Church. Her father,
Nathaniel Pope, came from North Carolina to Ohio
in 1816, and settled in Highland County, where he
remained for one year. He then came to Logan
County and made a settlement at Piekrelltown.
He owned the land there and assisted in starting
the town, he and a Mr. Pickrell tossing up a half
dollar to determine whether the town should be
named Polkville or Piekrelltown. Tliere he p.asscd
the remainder of his days, honored and esteemed
by all. This branch of the family was of English
descent.

The original of tliis notice was bom in Rush
Creek Township, Logan County, Ohio, on the 1st
of August, 1840, and remained on his father's farm
until eighteen years of age, attending the public
schools taught in the primitive log sclioolhouses
of pioneer days during the winter montlis and
working on the home place in the summer seasons.
He remembers perfectly the large open fireplace in
the old log schoolhouse, the mud and stick chimney,
the slab seats and the log t.aken out along the side
for a window, and the many other rude contriv-
ances of earlier days. He also remembers seeing the
greased-paper window liglits, but not in thesclujol-
liouse he attended. When eighteen years of age,
he entered the Normal School at Bellefontaine and
wielded the ferrule for eleven terms, there and in



Illinois. At one time lie held three certificates to
teach in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. For one year
he was in Livingston County, 111., but he returned
to his native county to enter the army. He enlisted
in March, 1862, in the Eighty-fifth Ohio Regiment,
Company F, in the second call for three-months
troops and was veteranized, entering the army as
Sergeant. He was put on detached duty, mustered
out on a descriptive list and recommended for
promotion. He then volunteered in the One Hun-
dred and Thirt3 - second Ohio National Guards
and was elected First Lieutenant, but upon the
consolidatou of the troops was thrown out, after-
ward going as Clerk for Capt. Black. In Feb-
ruary, 1865, he volunteered in the One Hundred
and Ninety-first, going out as Second Sergeant.
After this he was made Commissary and then Sec-
ond Lieutenant. He served his country bravely
and gallantly and w.as mustered out in September
of that year.

Our subject began reading medicine in 1858,
with Dr. ^IcKinnon, of Lewistown, reading with
him for some time, but did not register until 1861.
After this he taught school in Lewistown, but still
continued his medical studies under him until en-
tering the army. After cessation of hostilities, our
subject attended lectures in Detroit Medical Col-
lege, in 1868, and practiced at Sweetser's, Grant
County, Ind.. for three years. He entered the In-
diana Medical College, at Indianapolis, in 1871,
and graduated from that institution on the 29th of
February, 1872. After this, he practiced four years
longer in Grant County, Ind., and then went to
Kokomo, of that State, where he remained four
years. In 1879, he came to Hunlsville, Ohio, and
practiced there until 1885, when, in February of
that 3ear, he came to L.ake Mew. He is one of
the most successful practitioners of the county and
his reputation is firmh- established.

Dr. Prater w.is married on the 5lh of March.
1863, to Miss Isabell Watson, a u.ative of County
Tyrone, Ireland, who came to America with her
parents when eight years of age. This union has
resulted in the birth of sis children, only four
now living: Charles (deceased), Harriet (deceased),
Charlotta, Jennie, Mintie and Lanford. Mrs.
Prater died on the 8tli of .Vpiil, 1881. and on the




4^>





jYG-'9rrv^



PORTRAIT AND DlOGRArmCAL RECORD.



361



25th of April, 1882, the Doctor took for his sec-
ond wife Miss Annie E. Kirk, ;i native of Logan
County, Ohio, born April 1. ISIO. They liave no
children. Dr. Prater an<i wife are members of tlie
Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Repub-
lican in poUtics. Socially, he is a member of the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows, Independent Or-
der of Good Templars, Knights of Honor and Post
No. ,519, G. A. R. IMrs. Prater is an active %vorker in
the Relief Corps and is Conductor at the present
time. Dr. Prater has stock m the Gas and Petro-
leum Company here and holds the position of
Secretary of the company. He has worked h.-ird to
secure the railroad here and has also t.aken an act-
ive part to get local option. He has spent
time and money to secure the road, and is a public-
spirited and higlil\ - estcemed citizen. While at
Kokonio. our subject started a paper, the Vanguard.
an educational journal, which he sold out after
running a vear. Later, he again took control of it
but only kept it for a year.



\: OHN IIARROD, formerly Commissioner of
Logan County, and a prominent farmer of
JIcArthur Township, was born April 8,
^ 1S2.T, and died .lune I'.l, 1892. on the home-
stead where his entire life liad been p.ossed. He
belonged to an old and honored family of Welsh
extraction, whose representatives for several gen-
erations resided in Virginia. In that State, .lohn
Ilarrod, father of our subject, .and Thomas Ilarrod.
his grandfather, were born. The Last-named culti-
vated the soil for a livelihood and during the lat-
ter [lart (if the last century removed with lii>
family to Kentucky, ^vhele he was killed by the
Indians while at wi>rk in his field. He \vas an iii-
tlueiitial man in the coiumunity and served n>
Captain of the militia and in various position- of
trust.

About 17'.H;..Ii,lin llarriid. Sr.. came to Ohio and
was one of the earliest settlers in Ross County.
lli^ experience^ nere ;iii;ilai {'.> those of oHilt pio-



neers, and he often afterward related his adventures
with the treacherous savages, who were plentiful
at that early d.ay, and many narrow escapes he had
from f.alling into their hands. After his marriage,
which occurred in Ross County, he removed to
Bloomingburgh, F.ayette Couiity, this State, where
he bought a farm and began making improvements
in the wilderness.

Somewhat later, Mr. Ilarrod removed to Cham-
paign County, Ohio, and purchased a faim on
Dugan Praiiie, six miles east of L'rbana. There
he remained .about two years, and then, in 1810,
removed to Logan County, liuying a farm of Gov.
McArthur and becoming the first iiermanent set-
tler north of the Greenville Treaty line. Ilis first
home was an Indian cabin, liut two yeai-s after
settling here, he erected a hewcd-log house. He
w.as on intimate terms with the numerous Indi.ans
of the community, who were frequent visitors to
his little cabin. Wild animals were also plentiful,
but he cared very little about hunting, and. being
industrious and hard-working, soon had his farm
well improved and well cultivated. He partici-
pated in the War of 1812 as an officer, and in pol-
itics favored the Whig party. His death occuri-ed
October 14. 1840.

The mother of our subjcit boie the maiden name
of Plid'be Carder, and removed from her native
State, A'irginia. to Kentucky with her parents and
afterward came to Ross County, Ohio. Her union
with .lohn Ilarrod resulted in the birth of seven
children, live of whom reached mature years,
namely: Elizabeth S., Samuel A., Sanford, Thom.as,
James M.. .lolin and David I>. During the latter
part of her life, the mother was a member of the
Disciples Church, and her death occurred when she
was eighty-four. Her father. Sanford Carder, was
a native of ^'il•ginia and removed thence to Ken-
tucky, and from there to ( )hio. first settling in Ross
County and later reinoviiii; to Fayette County.
wln'ii> he died when nearly one liiindred years (ild.



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 41 of 76)