W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 47 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 47 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


later.

Adam Emerson was born February 15, 1828, in
Licking County, Ohio, and received very limited
advantages for obtaining an education. He was
reared to farming pursuits and on the death of his
father took charge of the home place. He was
married, to Miss Nancy, daughter of John Cor-
der, one of the early settlers of this section. In-
dians were very numerous in that early day and
Blackhawk,one of the chiefs, had his cabin located
upon his farm. Mrs. Emerson departed this life
in 1851, leaving one son, who bore the name of
Thomas. Three years later, the father was married
to Jane, daughter of Amos Arthur, an early settler
of this localit}- and a famous Indian hunter. By
that union, he became the father of five children,
all of whom are living, namely: Levi, Martha,
Mary, Willi.am and John.

The father of our subject is living a retired life
in St. John's, and is the owner of one hundred and
sixty-five acres of land in Union Township, which
is adorned with a splendid brick residence erected
in 1870 at a cost of 83,000. His place is well
stocked with good draft horses and all the needful
machinery which makes farming a pleasurable .as
well as profitable business. Mr. Emerson is a
member of the Christian Church, while his good
wife is identified with the Methodist Episcopal



PORTRAIT AXD BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



403



denomination. He has always taken an active
part in politics, and has been elected to the office
of School Director on the Republican ticket.

The original of this sketch ivas born July 21,
1849, at St. John's, and became orphaned by the
death of his motlier when very young. He was
reared to manhood on his father's farm, given a
good education and when twenty ^-eai-s of age be-
gan life on his own account by engaging in the
mercantile business In St. John's. Six yeai-s later,
he Launched out into the sewing-machine business,
which line of work he followed for four years, and
then, going to Cincinnati, attended the Physicians'
Medical College during the winter of 1875-76.
He then returned home and for five years engaged
in the drug business and at tlie expiration of that
time he began the manufacture of fork handles, to
which three years later lie added the manuf.icture
of tile. Remaining thus employed for two years.
Dr. Emerson again entered the drug business;
he sold out, however, in six months and oper-
ated a flouring-mill. His place of business w.as
destroyed by fire three months after it came into
his possession and as he had no insurance he was
compelled to begin life again at the bottom of
the ladder. Finding the manufacture of tile the
most profitable line of work, he again took up its
manufacture, which he carries on in connection
with his professional duties. He w.as graduated
from the Cincinnati college in 1889 and the liberal
patronage accorded to him at St. John's attests his
skill and ability.

Dr. Emerson and Miss Mary F., daughter of E.
H. Rogers, were united in marriage in October,
1869. For a full history of Mrs. Emerson's par-
ents, the reader is referred to the sketch of her fa-
ther found on another page in this volume. To
the Doctor and his wife has been born a family
of five children, only three of whom are living:
Tipton (;.. Emma and JIaiul. Emma is the wife
of Frank Bush and makes her home in Cl.ay Town-
ship, Auglaize Comity.

In social affairs, the Doctor occupies aliigh posi-
tion in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in
this place, in which lodge he is a charter member.
He has occupied all the chairs in the order and
has been District Deputy. He lias also been a mem-



ber of the State Medical Association, and in politics
casts a straight Republican ballot. He has always
been interested in educational affairs and has
served as a member of the School Board for the
past twenty years, occupying the position of Clerk,
most of the time. He is tlie proprietor of seventy
.acres of good farming land which is operated by a
tenant. Mrs. Emerson is a consistent member of
the Christian Church and with her worthy hus-
band has a wide cirele of acquaintance throughout
this countv.



^ll'AMES M. AVEADUCK. who nobly battled
for his adopted country while yet a vouth,
and sacrificed tlie opening years of his man-
hood in its defense, winning a bright mili-
tary record of which he and his may well be
proud, IS a practical, wide-awake farmer and stock-
man, standing among the first of his class in Au-
glaize Count}-, and he owns a valuable, well-ap-
pointed farm on sections 16 and 17, St. Mary's
Township, which he leases for oil purposes, deriv-
ing a goodly share of his income from that source.
The subject of this review is tlie eldest son of a
prominent family, and is a native of County Wex-
ford, Ireland, born March 12, 18-13. His father, Lewis
AVeadock, was also of Irish birth, and was reared
on a farm in his native island. He became a
stone mason, and in early manhood did stone work
in railway- tunnels in Scotland. In tlie season of
1847-48, he came to this country, and in 1850 was
joined by his family at St. Mary's. He h.ad a posi-
tion here as Canal Manager, having charge of sev-
eral miles of the canal for some years. In 1856,
he located on a farm in Xoble Township, which
he had previously bought in a wild condition. He
built a cabin and devoted himself to the improve-
ment of his propert}-, clearing away the brush and
preparing the land for cultivation. He was doing
well, and had liis farm in a good condition, wlien
his life of usefulness was brought to a close in De-
cember. 1863. at the age i>f f<.iitv-six. when scared}-



40 4



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



past his prime. He and his family had suflfered
greatly- from malarial fever, so common here in an
earlj' day when the country was wild and un-
drained. The mother of our subject was Jlary
Cullura, and she too was a native of Ireland. Her
age when she died was sixty-three years. Both
she and her husband were members of the Roman
Catholic Churcli, and were highly respected by the
people among whom they had come to build up a
new home. They had seven children. Their son,
the Hon. Thomas A. E. Weadock, is a prominent
lawyer at B.ay City, Mich., and is the present Rep-
resentative of the Tenth District of that State in
Congress. He tauglit school here in his younger
d.iys, and afterwards ol)tained his legal education
at Ann Arbor prior to locating at Bay City.
George AV. Weadock, e.x-Mayor of Saginaw, Midi.,
taught school in this township iu his .youth, and
also in Lima. He studied law at Ann Arbor, and
has since attained prominence in his profession
and in the public life of Saginaw. He has served
two terms as Mayor of that city, and so popul.ar is
he, that the Republicans made no nomination
against him the second time that he ran for the
office. Lewis 'SV. Weadock is a well-known farmer
of this county,, and owns the old homestead in
Noble Townsliip. John C. Weadock, one of the
leading lawyers of Bay City, in partnership with
his brother, began life .as a teacher in Michigan.

In his boyhood, .lames JI. We.adock, of whom
we write, was a student in the local scliools and
secured such an education .as was obtainable in the
old log schoolhouses of pioneer times, which had
not then given way to the modem sehoolliouse.
He was so young when he was brought to this
country, that he can scarce have any recollections
of any other home, and his course during the war
proved him to be as loyal and patriotic to this
CTOvernment. under whose institutions he had been
reared, as if he had been " native and to the man-
or born." He was only nineteen years old when
he enlisted, August 10, 18<12, in Company G, Fif-
tieth Ohio Infantry, comm.anded by Col. S. A.
Strickland, and for nearly three years he was at
the front, until tlie terril)Ie war was over and his
services were no longer needed on the battlefield.
He fought in many of Uie most important engage-



ments of the various campaigns in which his regi-
ment took part. He faced the enemy at Perrys-
ville, Ky., in October, 1862, and again at Knox-
ville, Tenn., in December, 1863. He and his com-
rades bore a cons])icuous part all through the At-
lanta campaign from the commencement at Tun-
nel Hill, doing some hard fighting at Kingston,
Dallas, Lost Mountain, Pine Mountain, in the
siege and capture of Atlanta, and in the battles of
Columbia, Franklin, Nashville and Spring Hill,
Tenn. They were in camp at R.aleigh, N. C, when
Johnston suriendered to Sherman. Mr. We.adock
and others were left to garrison Salisbur\-, N. C,
and, while there, he assisted in putting more earth
on the graves of those comrades who had fallen in
battle and had not been half buried. He endured
with great fortitude the terrible hardships of mili-
tary life, and, though he was sick several times,
he pluckily refused to go to the hospital, prefer-
ring to remain on duty as long as he could hold
his rifle. He was honorably discharged at Salis-
bury', N. C, .June 2G, 1865, but did not arrive
home until August.

After his return from the South, our subject
took charge of the old homestead in Noble Town-
ship, and generously gave his jounger brothers a
chance to secure an education, while he looked
carefully after their interests. In 1868, he mar-
ried and located on a farm in St. JIary's Town-
ship. In 1873, he purch.ascd his present farm in
the same township. It was in a wild, uncultivated
condition, and he had to cut away the brush to
clear a spot on which to erect a log house for a
dwelling. He labored with a right good will, and
in the period of nearly twent}- jears that has
elapsed since he took possession qf the place, he
has wrought a great change, and his one hundred
and twenty acres of land are in a fine condition.
He raises a good grade of stock, and does a good
business in that line.

Our subject's domestic life is very ple.asant. He
has a cozy home, replete with comfort, and ably
presided over by his wife, who looks carefully
after her household matters. Mrs. Weadock's
maiden name was M.ary McFarhand, and she is a
native of Moulton Township. She is a daughter
of James E. and Rose (Walker) McFarland, wlio



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPIUC.VL RECORD.



405



were among the early settlers of Auglaize County,
her father locating in Moulton Township in 1835.
He died Jul}' 21, 1875, at a ripe old age. Mr. and
Mrs. Weadock have eight children: Lewis J.,
Bernard A., George W.. .lohn F., Edward, Leo,
Clara and Edith.

Mr. Weadock is a man of good mental ability,
is well informed in regard to all matters of inter-
est, is prompt and enterprising in the management
of his affairs, his neighbors find him a sound and
safe counselor, and the value of his citizenship is
beyond question. Heisindependent in home poli-
tics, but is found with the Democrats when na-
tional issues are presented. He has been a mem-
ber of the School Board fourteen years, holding a
school office for twelve years successively. He be-
longs to the Grand Army of the Republic, and
both he and his wife are members in liigh stand-
ing of the Catholic Church.



LLEN HL'BER. Every community h.as
among its citizens a few men of rccog-
11 nized influence and ability, who, by their
systematic .and careful, thorough manner
of work, attain to a success which is justly de-
served. Prominent anning this class is Mr. Allen
Huber. who from boyhood h.as given Ihe occupa-
tion of agriculture the principal part of his time
and attention. In him the community has a faith-
ful and unswerving friend, ever ready to serve its
best interests, and generous in his contributions
toward every movement tending to the general
advancement.

His father, jNIan.asses Hulier, was a native of
Rockingham Count}", \a.. liorn in 180(3, and his
grandfather, .John Huber, w.as born in Pennsylva-
nia. The great-grandfatlier came from Germany
to America at an early date, settled m Pennsylva-
nia, and there followed the trade of a miller. He
died there when about fifty years of age. and had
two sons in the War of 181l'. The father of our
subject learned the iiiillci'j Uadf, but never fol-



lowed it. He also learned blacksmithing in Vir-
ginia, and as this suited his taste better, he followed
it, in connection with farming, for thirty j-ears.
He came on horseb.ack from the Old Dominion to
Ohio in 18.3.3, journeying through Tennessee,
where he had a brother living, and from there to
this State. He made his home with a brotlier near
DeGraff, and worked at his trade, but subsequently
entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from
the Government (183.3). This was in the woods,
and he was obliged to cut away the brush and
trees to build a log cabin. This country was then
the hunter's paradise, for wild game abounded,
and Mr. Huber often trapped wolves, otter, bea-
ver, etc. He followed blacksmithing for a large
scope of country, and also cleared up the farm, on
which he soon made many improvements. He
started out for himself with onl}- a horse, and
worked for his brother at the blacksmith trade for
$100 per year. He w.as industrious and frugal,
and at the time of his death, which occurred in
1872, he W!is the owner of seven luindred and
fifteen acres of land.

Mr. Huber w.as a member of the Methodist Epis-
copal Churcli, w,as one of the charter members of
the same, and preaching was held in his house for
eight or ten years before churches were built in
that section. He was Chiss-leader and Steward
nearly all the time, an<i was prominent in all af-
fau'S of importance. He was Capt;\in of the Light
Horse Infantry iu the Ohio militia, and was a
Democrat in politics, holding mostof the township
offices. He married Miss Nancy MaKenson, a na-
tive of Logan County, Ohio, and the following
ten children were born to them: Allen, Margaret,
Isaiah, Sarah, T\Ta A., Elsie L., Elizabeth (who
died when nineteen years of age), Marion (de-
ceased). Thomas (deceased), and .lohn (deceajed).
The mother is still living. Her pa;ents. .John
and Elizabeth (Walkice) ^laKenson, were natives
of Kentucky, and came to Logan County, Ohio,
in the year 1818. settling in Plea-sant Town-
ship, where they developed a good farm, and there
p.assed away. (Trandraothcr JIaKenson's father
was Col. Walhiee, of Revolutionary fame, and of
Irish descent.

On the farm in Logan Count)', our suiijectgrew



вАҐ406



PORTRAIT AND BIOGR^^rmCAL RECORD.



to manhood, :ind in the log schoolliouses of that
county he was taught the "three R"s." In the first
schoolhouse he attended was the open fireplace
with mud and stick chimney', slab benches with
pin legs, etc., .Subscription schools were in vogue
then, and tlie teacher boarded aroun<]. Our
.-iubjoct romaiiicd on the home place until the
death of the father, and w.as married on the 14th
of June. 1876, to Miss Anna M. H.all, a native of
Stokes Township, this county, born on the 18th of
March, 1846. (For ancestry see sketch of David
Hall in this volume.) Seven children have blessed
this union, .and are named as'follows: Delmer A.,
Sar.ah L., William T., Jlinnie i\r., Charles S., Anna
P. and Forest M.

Of the three hundred and twenty acres of land
owned by our subject, nearly all is improved and
under cultivation. ]Mr. Ilubcr has made nearly
all the improvements, and cleared one hundred
acres of the land himself. He raises, buys, feeds
and ships cattle, hogs and sheep, and is one of the
wide-awake and thorough-going men of tlic coun-
t\'. He built his present residence, a ple.asant and
commodious frame house, in 1882, and his bams
and outbuildings are substantial and ornamental.
He and Mrs. Huber are members of the Reformed
Church at Bloom Centre, and lie affiliates with the
Democratic party in his political views. He served
.as Trustee and Real-estate Assessor of the town-
sliip, and lias held other local positions. He has
been unusually successful, and is a man of means
and prominence in his section.



i$,EORGE LITTLE.JOHN, the owner and oc-
cupant of a finely-improved farm in .lack-
ii^JX\ son Township, SheDiy County, and a vet-
eran of the late war, is a well-known representative
of a patriotic and pioneer family, whose members
have contributed to the growth and development
of the resources of the Buckeye State. His pater-
nal grandfather. Edward Littlcjohn, was a native



of Virginia, of Scotch-Irish descent, and sei-ved as
a soldier during tlie War of 1812, receiving his
discharge on account of a wound resultmg from a
tree falling upon him.

The maternal grandfather of our subject was
Amos Sutton, a native of New Jersey, who re-
moved to Ohio aliout the year 1800, settling in
Greene County and later removing to Clarke Coun-
ty, where he spent his remaining d.avs. The parents
of our subject, Morris W. .and Sarah (Sutton) Lit-
llejohn, were natives respectively of Berkeley
Count}-, Va., and Greene County, Ohio, the father
born April .30, 1813, and the mother, January 4
of the same year. They were married in Clarke
Count}', Ohio, November 10, 1839, and resided for
ten years thereafter at North Hampton, that county,
removing thence in April, 1849, to Port Jefferson,
Shelby County, w^here he worked at liis trade. In
185.5, they returned to Clarke County on account
of the prevalence of fever and ague in the vicinity
of Port Jefferson, but three years later again came
to Shelby Count}-.

In 18.56, the father of our subject settled on sec-
tion IB, Jackson Township, on forty acres of wild
land, on which he built a log house and cloareil a
farm. Some years later, he sold the place to Da-
rius Glick, and, removing to section 22. commenced
the cultivation of forty acres of partly-improved
land. There he resided until his death, August 14,
1874. His wife survived until July 29, 1890. They
were devoted Cliristians and he was a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church for thirty-five
years, while his wife w.-is first identified with the
Seven th-d.ay Baptist Chui-ch, but joined the !Meth-
odist Church in 18.51. Devoted to the welfare of
his church, he served it in various capacities and
was Class-leader during almost his entire active
life. Politically, he was a Democrat.

The parental family consisted of ten children,
only three of wliom are now living: our subject,
Mrs. Maggie Maxson and Marion Omer. The first-
named was born January 2, 1843, and p.assed his
early childhood days in his native place, Clarke
County. He received a common-school education
at Port Jeffereon. whither he removed with his
parents when a child of six years. Wlien seven-
teen veal's old, he commenced to wurk for liis uncle.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



407



Joseph Davis, on a f.irni in Clarke County, receiv-
ing $13 per month, half of which he gave to his
father while the remainder was u.sed in buying his
clothes.

August 0, 1862. our subject enlisted in Com-
pany I. One Hundred and Tenth Ohio Infantry,
and with his regiment marched to Parkersburg.
Va., where he did guard duty for two weeks.
Thence he proceeded to Clarksburg, Va., from
there to Kew Creek, the same State, and accompan-
ied the expedition to Winchester, where he partici-
pated in the engagement of June 14, 1863. He was
in the hottest of the fight, and while repulsing the
enemy's charge was twice wounded, a minie-ball
penetrating the left elbow and breaking the joint,
while another b.all cut a gash four inches long
.across his body. Through a fierce fire of shot and
shell from both sides, he walked one and one-half
miles to the hospital, which on the following morn-
ing fell into the h.ands of the enemy. Fifty of the
inmates were retained there, our subject among
the number, until August l,when the hospital was
recaptured by the Twelfth Pennsylvania Cavalry.
Our subject was removed to Harper's Ferry, and
three days later was taken to the Jarvis United
States General Hospital at Balitmore, INId., where
he remained until January 1, 18G4.

On being transferred to the Second Battalion,Vet-
eran Reserve Corps, by a general order dated March
23, 18G4, Mr. Littlejohn w.as put on dutj- at New-
ton University Hospital, on the corner of North
and Lexington Streets, Baltimore, where he re-
mained until July 26. He was then transferred to
Annapolis. Md.. where he was on duty as Acting
Hospital Steward at the Naval Academy Hospital
until M.ay 4, 18G.5,his special duty being to receive
Union prisoners from Andersonville. L.astly, Jlr.
Littlejohn was sent to the Hicks United States
General Hospital at Baltimore, where he remained
.as Company Clerk until the expiration of his term
of service. After having served with valor and
distinction for three yeai's,one month and twenty-
four days, he w.as honorably discharged. October
2, 1865, and. returning to Ohio, resumed farming
oiierations in Clarke Cfiunty.

Janu.iry 3. 1S67. Mr. Littlejohn was married to
Miss Kniily .V. Sniilh. wlm was boi'n in Champaign



County, Ohio, February- 3, 1815. Her parents,
John H. and Eliz.abeth (Buraker) Smith, were early
settlers of C)hio, coming to Clarke County about
1835, and removing thence to Champaign County
and from there to Jackson Township, Shelliy
County. By a j)revious marriage, Jlr. Smith was
the father of nine children, and he and his second
wife also had a family of nine children. Five of
his sons were soldiers m the Civil War, and one of
them, David, died at Nashville, Tenn., in 1864.
Joseph was wounded at the siege of Vicksburg, a
portion of his skull being injured so as to necessi-
tate removal and the insertion of a silver plate in
its stead. Ten years afterward, he died from the
effects of the wound. Mi: Smith died October 20,
1865, an<I his widow receives a pension on account
of his services in the W.ar of 1812.

After their marriage, our subject and his wife
settled on a farm in Green Township, Shelby
County, but two years later removed to Orange
Township, where they made their home on thirty
acres of partly-improved land. In 1876. they lo-
cated on the homestead where they still reside and
where they own ninety-six acres of good land.
Their nine children are all living, with the excep-
tion of Ida, who died when eleven months old.
Harry, her twin brother, now lives in California;
Denton AV. is a resident of Wisconsin; Luella, ilrs.
Marion F. Clayton, resides in J.ackson Township
and is the mother of one child; William Orla, Ollie
E., Chailie, Eva and Nellie are at home.

For fourteen years, Mr. Littlejohn has been a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and
has served as Steward, Cl.ass-leader and Trustee.
His wife has been identified with the same denom-
ination for over thirty years. For sixteen j-ears,
he has served as Director of 'his school district and
has been a member of the Township Board of Edu-
cation for the same period. Socially, he is a mem-
ber of Lodge No. 458, F. & A. M., at J.ackson Cen-
tre, and has occupied the positions of Senior and
Junior Warden, Treasurer and Senior Deacon. He
is also identitied with Smith Post No. 61, G. A. R.,
at Jackson Centre, the Sons of Temperance and
the Grange, in which he has served as Master. In
his political lielief, he i? a Hepulilicau and ca?t his
tirst Presidential ballot for .Vbialuun Lincoln at his



408



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



second election. His fellow-citizens have called
hira to several positions of trust, where he lias been
able to render effective service for the community.
For three terms, he was Trustee of Orange Town-
ship and for one term filled the same office in Jaclt-
son Township. lie also served as Assessor for one
term, and in addition has occupied other offices of a
local nature.



/^ IIARLES K. THOMSON. There are very
[li f*"" branches of business, if any, that re-

^^Jr' quire more consideration and sympathetic
feeling than tliat in which our subject is engaged,
funeral director and emb.alnier. Their services are
only called in under the most trying circumstances
tliat can befall a family or friends, and the utmost
tact, coupled witli decision and perfect, unostenta-
tious knowledge of the business, is required. In
these points, Mr. Thomson, whose office is at No.
824 Jlain Avenue, is well grounded by nature and
experience, and is one of the most prominent in
his line in tlie Slate. He lias been engaged in this
business here since 1887, and was tlie first era-
balmer in this part of the State.

BIr. Thomson was born in Troy, Oliio, on the
16th of March, 1858, and is a son of Joel T.
and Helen (Gilkerson) Thomson. The grandfather
was first Sheriff of Jliami County, and our subject's
father was born in the jail residence, and was of
Scotch parentage. The latter was engaged for many



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 47 of 76)