W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 50 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 50 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ents, ,Iohn and Rebecca (Rinehart) Shawber, were
also natives of that State. Thev were farmers,
and both died in Wapakoneta, Ohio, whither they
had moved in their old age. To !Mr. and Mrs.
Detrick liave been born twelve children, all living
l)at one: Joseph E., John S., Susan I'., Marv E..
Rcliecca. Eiuma. Ida. SanuK'l. Calvin. Laura. Jlav
and Ann:i. Abraham L. died when eighteen
months obi. Our subject iMuiglit the jire^enl farm



424



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



before his marriage, but for a few years resided on
anotlier. until he could build on his own farm.
Only one acre had been cleared, and since then
our subject has cleared and improved the balance.
He is now the owner of two hundred and fifty-five
acres liere. and one hundred and twenty acres in
"W.ashiiigton Township. He started here with only
eighty acres, and h.as been very successful. Hard
work and good management have brought him in
big returns, and he is now one of the most pros-
perous and successful men of his section. He is
engaged in general farming, and keeps a great
man}- sheep, cattle, horses and hogs. He first built
a small frame house, with o.ak weather-boards, and
liis present large frame in 18(J0. His large frame
liarn was erected in 1857. His wife, who was u
member of the Lutheran Church, died on the 24th
of April, 1880. Mr. Dotrick is a member of the
German Baptist Church. He has seen all the im-
provements in the country, and remembers when
Bellefontaine w.is but a village, with less than a
dozen houses.

AVhen our subject was eiglit years old, deer were
plentiful. One day he saw some near the cabin, and
prevailed on his mother to let him take the gun. She
finally did so, and our subject followed them for
some time. At Last, slipping up within twenty
feet of them, he pulled the trigger, and found the
gun was not loaded. His mother probably knew
this when she gave him permission to take it, but
a very di>gusted boy returned to the house. He
often saw from one to twenty deer on his way to
school.



'jf'OHN Q. A. Ca:\IPP.ELL. the well-known
editor and proprietor of the Bellefontaine
liepublk-an. the leading paper of Logan
// County, has exercised a marked intluence
on the .affaire of this section of Ohio, and even of
the entire .State, not only professionally, but as a
progressive, public-spirited citizen, who has aided
ni suidins its political destiny, as well a* in guard-



ing its dearest interests, materially, socially and
morally.

A native of this State, our subject was bom in
Brown County, September 28, 1838, and is a son
of Charles F. and Harriet E. (Kephart) Campbell,
natives respectively of Virginia and Pennsylvania,
of German descent on the mother's side and of
Scotch-Irish ancestry on the father's side. The
paternal great-grandfather of our subject was a
soldier in the Revolutionarj- War, and was one of
the foundei'S of 'Washington College at Lexington,
Va. The direct progenitor of our subject came to
this State in 1828, and was married to Miss Keji-
hart, who had accompanied her parents here as
early as 1818 in Ripley, Brown County. There
the father passed the remainder of his d.ays, while
the mother, who is still living, has reached the ad-
vanced age of eighty j-ears. During the late war,
Charles K. Campbell was Probate Judge of Brown
Count\-. He was a lawyei- of some note and was
also editor and publisher of the Ripley Bee for
fourteen years. He ranked high as a lawyer, and
fortune having smiled upon his efforts, he was
numbered among the well-to-do citizens of Ripley.
He was tlie parent of five .sons, all of whom be-
came editors, and of one daughter.

.J. Q. A. Campbell was reared in Ripley, where
he received a good pr.actical education, and when
old enough to choose a life occupation, learned •■ the
art preservative " in his father's office. Prior to the
outbreak of the Civil War, Mr. Campbell went to
Newton, Iowa, wliere he published the Newton
Free Press, in company with his brother Angus K.
They were thus engaged a short time, when our
snbject abandoned his business interests and of-
fered his services as a volunteer in the Union
army, enlisting under Lincoln's first call as a mem-
ber of Company B, Fifth Iowa Infantry. He
served in that regiment for a period of three years,
and at the end of that time was transferred with
the veterans of his regiment to Company I, Fifth
Iowa Cavalry. He was popular with the "boys."
and indeed with the officers, and served in the po-
sitions of Second Lieutenant, Captain and Adju-
tant of the regiment, and as Assistant Adjutant-
General of his brigade. Mr. Campbell was on the
field of battle during the entire period of war. dur-



PORTILUT AM) BlGGKAl'inCAL RECORD.



425



ing which time he saw much hard fighting, par-
ticipating in many of the most important battles
in the West, serving with his regiment in Missouri,
Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Keu-
tucliy, Ahibama and Georgia, and participating in
the battles of New Madrid, Island No. 10, Cor-
inth, luka, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hill,
Vicksburg and Mission Ridge.

Near the close of hostilities, Mr. Campbell re-
turned to Riplej- in order to settle up the estate of
his father, who had died during his absence. In
18G5, he found a good opening for a live news-
paper in Bellefontaine, and purchased the Repub-
lican, which was the first paper to appear .as a Re-
publican paper, setting furth the principles of that
party in the United .States. At the time of its
establishment in 1854, it was edited by Judge "W.
II. AVest. Under the supervision of Mr. Campbell
it is now one of the leading papers in Ohio. The
Republican is a semi-weekly, 20x40, has a circula-
tion of twenty-two hundred, and is a sound family
newspaper supplied with solid and useful informa-
tion, as well .as with lighter matter; it keeps its
readers well informed on current topics and the
affairs of this and other countries, and one of its
interesting features is the correspondence from
various localities in the county. It has been noted
for its independence, its advocacy of right and its
rejection of everything unworth\- and unclean
from its columns. Mr. Campbell is a pr.aetical
printer himself, and has devoted his best energies
to the work of making a paper that should be a
potent factor in the upliuilding of city and county.
His office is supplied with power press and all the
modern machinery, and his editorials have been
copied from Maine to California, in sucli leading
papers as the Ciucinnati Commercial Gazelle, Chi-
cago Tribune. San Fancisco Chronicle, New York
Tribune, New York Punt and Bangor Wliig and
Courier. The usual amount of praise and fault-
finding has been measured out to him as an ed-
itor, but his char.acter as a man of honor, integrity
and public spirit has never been questioned.

Mr. Cami)l)ell was married in 18(56 to Miss Isa-
bella Dorwin. liy wh.ini liu became the father of one
son, Wilfred B.. ii..w a clerk for Marshall Field &
Co.. Chicagij. Mi>. Cauipl.ell departed this life in



1866, and our subject in April. 1872, w.as married
to Estelle Hoge. To them have been born two
daughters. Bertha E. and Claire G. Our subject is
a member of the Grand Army, and in religious
matters is Elder of the Presbyterian Church of this
place.



W'



^y, OIIN KEY. The e.-cample of one man who
has ma<k' an honorable record is wortli
more than all the precepts with which the
mind of youth can be stored. It is there-
fore with pleasure that the biographicid writer
presents to the readers of this Rkloko the life liis-
tory of a gentleman who, beginning his personal
career without means, and with what at this age of
the worid would be considered a limited educa-
tion, is now the possessorof sufficient means to en-
able him to enjoy the comforts of life. This is
John Kev, who is now residing in Perry Town-
shi|). Shelby County, and is a man to whom this
section is indebted for his aid in her growth and
progress.

Our subject is the son of John and Pha-be (Ak-
ers) Key. his mother Ijeing the daughter of Will-
iam Akers. The father died in ISl,';, just six
months anil six days prior to the birth of owv sub-
ject. The family later came to tliis State, and lo-
cated in Montgomery County, just south of Da\-
ton. when that now jn-osperous city contained but
one house. After the death of her husband. Mrs.
Key, by hard work, kept her little family together,
and remained a widow until her decease, which
occurred in July, 1861. .^he was the mother
of live children. Our subject was burn April 22.
ISlC, in Montgomery County. He was onl\- per-
mitted to attend the common schools a short
time. as. when old enough to earn a dime, he worked
out by the day. thus aiding his mother in tlie sup-
p<^rt of the family.

In 1841. John Key and Mi-s l.illie. daughter of
.lohn and Lillie (Mudaris) Luca-. were united in
marriagi-. llei- parents were early settlers of Mielb\-



42G



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPfflCAL RECORD.



County, and were well-to-do. He of whom we
write, on locating here in the year 183.i, en-
tered from the Government forty acres of land in
Jackson Township, Shelby County, upon which he
erected a house which served as a home for him-
self and mother. After his marriage, he rented a
farm in Perry Towiuliii) from .Samuel JIaxwell,
and there made his home for two yeai's, and at the
end of that time settled on his present farm, which
contained a very poor log cabin and stable. There
the wife and mother died in .Tuly, 18iG, having
become tlie mother of two sons; John, who mar-
ried Catherine Lane; and Xorman. who became
the husband of Sarah Rike.

The lady whom Mr. Key chose as his second wife,
April 18, 1847, w.asMiss Annie, daughter of Abram
and Catherine (Bretz)Rinehart, supposed to be n.a-
tivos of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively.
Her parents were married in Fairfield County, this
State, and on coming to this county in 1830, lo-
cated in Sidney', where Mr. Rinchart was eng.aged
in the butcher's business. He also owned a farm
north of that vill.age, and later removed to Peni-
berton, where he died in 1877. His wife had de-
parted this life in 1836, and b}- a second marriage
he became the father of six children.

Jlrs. Key, who was born September 21, 1827, in
Fairfield County, this State, was a member of the
family born of her father's first marriage. With
her husband she has resided upon their present
estate for the past forty-five years, and has reared
a family of eight children, seven of whom are liv-
ing: Amanda, Mrs. AVilliam De AVeese; Rachael, the
wife of Dr. David Whitraer; Margaret Elizabeth,
Jlrs. John J. Maxwell; Jlartha Jane, Jlre. Fr.ank-
lin jMarrs; David R., who married JIaggie Heffner;
Aln-ain Sherman, who married Ida Hoover; and
Orlando Berton. The deceased child. Thom.as L.,
died when two years of age.

He of whom we write is the projirietor of two
hundred and twenty acres of land. and. with the
exception of the j-oungest son, has given each of
his children from one hundred to one hundred and
forty-one acres, and has one hundred and twenty
acres for the youngest son when he himself is
done witli it. He has lieen very succe>sful in life,
and is now one of the wealthv land-owners in



Shelby County. His two eldest sons served as sol-
diers in the late war, in which struggle they ac-
quitted themselves bravely and honorably. Mr.
Key has been School Director of his district, and
in politics, votes with the Republican party, cast-
ing his first Presidential ballot for Ayilliara Henry
Harrison. With his wife, he is a member of the
United Brethren Church, toward the support of
which he is a liberal contributor. His home is sup-
plied with ever}' comfort, and he and his wife
have dr.awn around them a fine circle of friends,
while winning the regard of all to whom they are
known.



W: OWS T. KELSEY has made himself a thor-
ough master of his calling as a farmer, con-
ducts his farming interests in a systematic
and business-like way, and his farm on sec-
tion 3, Franklin Township, Shelby County, com-
pares favorably with other fine estates in its vicin-
it}-. It comprises an area of one hundred and
sixty acres of soil, that is very fertile and produces
abundantly of all the crops that are commonly
raised in this climate, and its improvements are
first-class.

Curtis Kclsey. the father of our subject, was
born March 4, 1808, in Vermont, and was a son of
Parson Kelsey, who was also born in Vermont, in
October, 1768. The latter gentleman was married
in 1793, U) Aliss Lucinda Ames, of Rutland, that
State, soon after which event they made their
home in West Haven, where the grandfather died
in 1822. His family comprised the following-
named children: Chauncy, Lyman, Katie, Guy C,
Caroline. Curtis and Calvin. Only two of the faui-
ilv are now living: Guy C, who has attained the
advanced .age of eighty-eight years; and the father
of ijur subject.

Curtis Kelsey came West in 184.5, bringing with
him Ids wife and family, he having been married
in 1820, in his native State, to Miss Lucy, daugh-
ter of Jonas Nelson, win) was a mason hv trade.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



On taking up their residence in the Buckeye State.

they located in Turtle Creek Township, .Shelby
County, on a farm owned by John Stevens, and
which place is still in their possession. In 1857, the
father came to Clinton Township, and is now resid-
ing in this county in his eighty-fourth year. He has
been very active in the Republican party since its
organization, and previous to that time was a
member of the State Constitutional Convention of
Vermont. He has also served in the responsible
position of County Commissioner, and, possessing
the genial and hospitable disposition which wins
and retains friends, he occupies a high pl.ace in the
regard of the people of Franklin Township and
surrounding country. He had the honor of intro-
ducing the first fine-wool sheep ever brought to
this county.

The original of this sketch is the youngest in
the parental family of three children, all of whom
are now living, his, sister being Mrs. Hiram "Wil-
son, and brother, G. C. John T. was born ^larch
16, 1836, in AVL'St Haven, \t.. and was a lad
of nine years wlien his parents came to the
West. Like other youths of that period, he was
given a common-school education, and remained
under the parental roof until nineteen years of age,
when he went "West with a surveying party to Ne-
braska, being gone thirteen months. October 12.
1858, Elizabeth Jane, d.aughter of '\A"illiam and
Nancy (Lamb) Russell became his wife. Her fatlier
was born in Virginia, December 17, 1805, and her
mother in Greene County. Ohio, January 18, 1813.
Mr. and Mrs. Russell took up their abode in this
county in 1839, and after rearing a f.amily of
seven children, departed this life, .Tanuary 24. 1891,
and August 21 of the same year, respectively.

Mrs. Kelsey. wlio was born in this township July
18, 1841, was given a fair education, and after her
marriage settled with our subject on a farm in
Turtle Creek Township, where they made their
home until 18G3, and then became residents of
their present farm, which w.os partially improved.
His estate, whicli comprises a quarter-section, is
thoroughly drained with nine miles of tiling, and
in addition to the numerous needful buildings is
embellished with a comfortable farm residence
which was ereete.l in IST'i. and cost *1,2U0. lie



also has on his place a large barn, which cost $700.
In addition to raising the cereals, he m.ikes a spe-
cialty of breeding fine-wool Spanish-Merino sheep,
and by his wise forethought, .active enterprise and
practical skill in conducting the business of farm-
ing and stock-raising, is a valu.ahie agent in de-
veloping the .agricultural resources of this part of
Ohio.

Mr. and Mrs. Kelsey are members of the Jleth-
odist Episcopal Church, in which body our subject
has been Trustee. He has also been Treasurer of
the Township School Board for fourteen yeai-s.and
as a member of the Grange h.as held some promi-
nent offices in that order. For a number of vears
he was a member of the Agricultur.al Board, in
which"he has acted ,as President and Vice-presi-
dent. He has been the incumbent of the positions
of Township Trustee for four j-ears. Township
Treasurer fourteen years, and, .as an adherent of
the Democratic party, has been frequently sent .as
a deleirate to various conventions.






BENJAMIN F. HOWELL. Tlie improve-
ments whicli have Ijeen pLaced upon the
farm belonging to this gentleman prove
- — - beyond a doubt his thrift and enterprise.
His attention is closely devoted to the cultivation
of the one hundred and thirty acres which com-
prise his estate, and he h.as been successful in gain-
ing a prominent place among the influential farm-
ers of Jackson Township. Shelby County. The
buildings upon the farm are first-class in ever\' re-
spect, and include the necessary outbuildings .Tiid
a commodious residence.

xV few words with reference to our subject will
prove interesting to our readers. Thev were Jon-
athan and Elizabeth (Maxon) Howell, natives re-
spectively of Belmont C'ount\-. Ohio.and Viririnia.
(jrandfather Benjamin Howell was descended from
Welsli ancestors, and early settled in Ohio, where
he remained until his career was terminated b\-



428



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



deatb. Jonathan Howell was a soldier in the War
of 1812, and was a farmer by occupation, having
settled in Claike County, Ohio, in 18:31. After
remaininjT there for eight years, and engaging in
improving his farm, he removed to Jackson Town-
sliii), Shelby County, and from there, in a short
time, moved to Jackson Centre, where his life was
brought to a close in 1870, at the age of eight^'-
four \ears. Plis wife survived him twelve years,
and passed from earth at the age of eighty-seven
years.

Fourteen children were born to the parents of
our subject, six of whom are now living. The
father was a man of deep religious convictions,
and familiar with the Scriptures, in which he care-
fully instructed his children. Ills mcm"l)ership
was with the First-day Baptist Church, while his
wife belonged to the Seventh-day Baptists. The
eighth child in the family is our subject. He was
born in West Virginia Janua)y 22, 1820. When
six years of age, he accompanied his parents to
Ohio, where he received a limited education in the
log schoolhouses of the community. He remained
at liome with his father until he was twenty-six,
and early became familiar with agricultural pur-
suits, to which he has ever devoted his attention.

June 28. 1851, ^Ir. Howell was married to Miss
Phuebe Jane AVatkin, who was born in Pennsylva-
nia April U, 1833. Mrs. Howell is a daughter of
Joseph and Sarah (David) Watkin, the father born
in !JIaryland in 1798, and the mother, a native of
the Keystone State, born in 1800. They came to
Ohio in 1835, and settled on a tract of unimproved
land in Clinton Countv, whence, five years later,
they removed to Shelby County, clearing up a
farm in Salem Township. The father died in 18(36,
and the mother in 1884. Religiously, they were
members of the Seventh-dav Baptist Church. In
politics, he was a strong Republican, and cast the
first Republican ballot ever deposited in Salem
Township. He served etheiently as School Di-
rector and Township Trustee. Seven of his nine
children are now living, and every memlier (;f the
family lived to be at least fifty years old.

After their marriage, Jlr. and 3Irs. Ib.iwoli set-
tleil on an unimproved farm in Jackson 'I'dwu^hiii.
which he cleared and cultivated. In I 81)2, he lo-



cated upon his present farm, which is now num-
bered among the best in Jackson Township. Unto
him and his wife have been born eleven children,
nine of whom survive, namely: Albert O., who
married Lizzie Hall, and is at present Trustee of
Salem Township; Samantha A., wife of Noah Ell-
iott; Jonathan F., who married Phyllis Wones,and
is the father of three children; Rodolphus A., who
married Leona Stiles, and they have two children;
Margaret J. (Mrs. M. Cochlin), who is the mother
of two children; John Milton, who chose as his
wife Miss Alice Ludlum; Rosalee, Afton E., and
Nevada F. The children have all received the
advantages of good educations, and are filling
honorable positions in their various communities.
Politically, Mr. Howell is in sympathy with the
principles of the Democratic party, of which his
sons are also adherents. In his religious convic-
tions, he is identified 'with the Christian Church,
and is a generous, whole-souled man, whose influ-
ence is always in behalf of principles of justice
and right.



I^+



ILLIAM STOCGII. This well-known and
-^yj/ higlily respected citizen of Bellefontaine
"J/^ is at present occupying the honorable
position of Recorder of Logan County. A native
of this State, he was born in Richland County,
January 3, 1840, and is the son of John and
Mary (Sn}'der) Stough, natives of Pennsylvania,
who came to this State in 1830, and made a loca-
tion in the above-named county. The elder Mr.
Stough was a farmer and mechanic by occupation,
devoting the greater part of his life to the latter
pursuit.

The parents of our sulgect. who are both de-
ceased, reared a family of six sons and six daugh-
ters, of whom four are living, our subject being
tlie \-onngest in order of birth. He was reared in
Richland County, where he received a good edu-
catiiin and remained until September 9, 1861,
when he enlisted in the Union army, joining Com-




-^y-^vz^ X'yM^r^j^-



PORTRAIT AND lUOGRAPmCAL RECORD.



431



pany G, Fifteentli Ohio Infantry, and served his
country faithfully' and well as a private soldier
for over four years. Mr. Stougli participated in
many of the important battles of that period,
among which were Shiloh, Stone River, Liberty
Gap, Chickamauga. Missionary Ridge, Atlanta,
Nashville and Franklin. During the Atlanta cam-
paign he was wounded at Res.aca in the head, but
was soon enabled to reiiort for duly.

On being mustered out of the service, he of
whom we write returned home, and June 21,
186(3, w.as united in marriage to Jliss Sarah Post.
The young couple came to this place in the fall
of that year, where Mr. Stougli engaged in the
manufacture of horse collars, in which trade he
continued for some yeai'S, and tlien embarked in
the mercantile business, which he conducted suc-
cessfully until he was elected to his present office
in November, 1890.

Mr. Stough has been a resident of this city for
a number of j'ears, and has always taken a very
•active and prominent part in local affairs. So-
cially, he is a Grand Arm\' man. and served his
post one year as Commander. Jlrs. Stough, who
is a very intelligent and efficient woman, be-
longs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church, witli
which denomination her husband has long been
identified and is one of its most zealous workers.
They have a family of two sons and one daugh-
ter: Gcorg' 0., Luther and Mary E. Our sul)-
ject is one of the solid men of Logan County,
in whom his fellow-citizens know they can place
their reliance at all times and under all circum-
stances, and he is esteemed accordingly.






li-^ EXRY SIIROYEH. So successful has tliis
\l "jll gentleman been in his farming operations
i4i/ that he is now the owner of three hundred
{\£)J and forty-three acres of fine land in Salem
Township, Shelby County. Among tlie represen-
tative and infliientiul farmers of th<' community,
he occupies a prominent place, and a.- an exam|ile
20



of a self-made man, who has acquired his exten-
sive possessions through his unaided toil, the rec-
ord of his life is worthy the perusal and emula-
tion of the young. Ilis portrait is also presented
to our readers.

.Tosepli Sh rover, father of our subject, was born
in Maryland, of German descent, and was orphaned
wlien quite young. In 1820, he removed "West to
Ohio and commenced to clear a small tract of
land in Miami County, where he was married to
jNI.ary Shroyer, a native of the Old Dominion. In
1835, he located in Shelby County, upon the old
homestead in the northern part of Salem Town-
ship. At that time the land w.as heavily timbered
and roads had not yet been opened, while Indians
and wild animals roamed at will through the dense
forests. Few people had penetrated the wilder-
ness in an endeavor to convert the far-reaching
wooded land into habitable homesteads. Piqua
was the nearest market and depot of supplies,
and thither the early pioneers were accustomed
to go iu order to purch.ase provisions.



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 50 of 76)