W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 57 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 57 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the same State and was born in January, 1796.
Charles Johnston was but a youth of twenty-two
when his father had him enlist in the War of 1812.
That father was Silas Johnston, of Kentucky.

Charles Johnston came to Ohio about the year
1800 with liis father. They settled in Johnston
Township, Champaign County, and were the first
in that locality, the township being named for the
senior member of the family. There were many
Indians in the country at tlie time, and,
although they were friendly in general, their
treacherous nature kept our subject's grandparents
in a constant state of suspense and watchfulness.
Indeed, Silas Johnston was obliged to leave the
country for a time as a result of having knocked
an Indian down during an altercation. On his
return, he enlisted the assistance of his sons in
making a permanent home. They cleared up a
farm, and there our subject's father w.as reared,

Silas Johnston entered one hundred and sixty
acres of land, and to show the simplicity of the
financial transactions of tlie enimtry, the foUfiw-
ing anecdote is related: A man rocU- up to llii'
Johnston c:ililii, telliu;;' the owner that he was



collecting taxes, Mr, Johnston took down from
the rear of his cabin five coon skins and handed
them to the man, who said, " All right, when I get
b.ack to Urbana I can get twenty-five cents apiece
for tliem." That paid the taxes on one hundred
and sixty acres of land. There were a few horses,
some cattle, sheep and hogs upon the place.

(_)ur subject's mother's family came to Ohio al-
most simultaneously with his father. After the mar-
riage of his parents, they settled in Periy Town-
ship, on section 21, where Charles entered Ciovern-
nient land, building, without help, a log cabin on
the banks of a creek. Game was abundant at that
time, and consequently there were many Indians,
who stayed here .as long as tlie\' could provide for
themselves. After a long and useful life, our sub-
ject's father died May 15, 18G5. His wife had
p.assed away March 20, 18G2. They were the
parents of fourteen children, six of whom still
survive.

For fifteen years in the early history of the
country, Charles Johnston's home served not only
as a stopping place for preachers, but also as a
meeting-house, both parents being very devoted
Methodists. Democratic in political principles,
the old gentlem.an was the soul of honor. He was
elected Justice of the Pe.ace, in -which capacity he
ofliciated for fifteen years. He also served as
Trustee of the township for a couple of terms. At
a time when money was worth much more than it
is now, he contributed ^600 as a bonus to induce
the Big Four Railroad to come this wa}-. He also
contributed money to get Sidney located where it
now is.

Fielden Johnston was the twelfth child in order
of birth born to his parents. He was born July
9, 1835, his birthplace being a log cabin on
the old homestead. There he was reared to man-
hood, receiving a common-school education. In
1857, he was married to Rebecca Stephenson, a
daughter of Charles and Rachel (Johnson) Stephen-
son, early settlers here, Jlrs, Johnston w.as born
December 15, 1836, in Logan County.

Iinmediateh' after marriage, our subject and his
wife settled for a time on .tlie old homestead. He
then purchased forty acres, and later his present
tariii. lie h:is lived on the site where his [iresent



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



47:



home is for tweiiU'-seven yeai-s, aud is now the
owner of two hundred and ninety-two acres of
land, having cleared thirty acres by himself. His
residence was erected in 1878, and is a subtantial
and comfortable dwelling. His other buildings
were put up in 1887, and here he carries on
general farming.

The original of this sketch is the father of four
cluldren, three of whom are now living. They
are: Nancy Alice, wife of Lewis W. Deweese;
Charles Alburn and "William Albert, who are
twins. The latter is married to Delia Wagner and
lives at home. Mr. and ]Mrs. .Johnston are mem-
bers of the United Brethren Church, in which
they arc efficient workers. Mr. Johnston has been
School Director for six years. Although he is a
Democrat in political views, he has held the oftice
of Trustee in a Republican Township for six years.



^^j V,'. B. HARBOUR. JL D. Dr. Harbour is
f|! p one of the popular and able physicians of
^^<-' Anna. Shelby County, whose ability is re-
cognized in a fine practice, which comprises a large
scope of adjacent countr}'. The Doctor is a na-
tive of Pemberton, Shelby County, where he was
born October 16, 18G1. He is a son of Henry
and Rachel E. (Persinger) Harbour, both of Ohio.
Grandfather William Harbour was a Virginian, of
English descent, his father having come from the
Old Country during the Revolutionary War. W^ill-
iam Harbour migrated from Virginia to Ohio in
1818, and was one of the earliest pioneers in
Shelby Count}-.

The father of our subject w.as a farmer. During
the late war, he served as a member of the One
Hundred and Thirty-seventh Ohio Regiment, and
so valiant was he in sustaining the hard militarv
life uncomplainingly that he has ever since been a
sufferer from the effects of injury received in ser-
vice, lie al jiresent resides in Perry Township,
where he is a prosperous and contented farmer.
Both he and his wife are devoted .Methodists.



Dr. Harbour is the eldest of a family of five
children. The only daughter died at the age of
three years. The rudiments of his education were
acquired in the common district school, and in
1877 he entered the Ada (Ohio) Normal College,
devoting his attention to the academic course.
Having determined upon the profession of medi-
cine as his future calling, he entered the Miami
Medical College at Cincinnati in 1880, and there
spent four yoare preparatory to his professional
life. After a most satisf.actor^' course, in which
he applied himself most diligently, he graduated in
1885. During the last year spent in college, our sub-
ject was permitted to pr.actice in a special district
in the city under the directoi-ship of Prof. W. N.
Taylor and Prof. U. P. Dandridge. This was pe-
culiarh' advantageous.

Immediately after finishing his medical course,
the Doctor lijcated at Anna, and has since en ofau-ed
in a very satisfactory pr.actiee. In 1883, he was
married to ^liss Ora E., daughter of Judge Davis
Bowers.acks, a native of this county, and educated
in the Sidney High School. Her father is a na-
tive of Ciermanj-. He h.os for many j-ears been a
prominent citizen of this county. Thev have one
child, whose name is Georgia. Ur. Harbour is a
stanch Republican, and a member of the VilLio'e
Council. He is a M.ason, and also belongs to the
Knights of Pythi.as. His memljorship with the
Shelby C'ount3' Medical Society is both pleasant and
profitable to him.



f , UGH JELLV. Our suliject is a prominent

K jl, and successful farmer, who has a most hon-
iiU^ orable ancestrj- of Scotch and Irish mix-
(^) ture. He w.os born March 4, 1824. His
parents were Hugh and ^lary (McCfiuless) Jelly,
the former a native of Irelaml and tlie latter born
three miles from Glasgow, .Scotland. The family
emigrated to America in 1828. and after a voyage
on a sail intr- vessel lastiiiir fiT tliirtv weeks, thev



478



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



located four miles out of Baltimore upon a farm
In 1838, they moved to Da_vton, Ohio, and one
3-ear later proceeded to Shelbj- Countj-, and set-
tled in Van Burcn Township, wliere the father
purchased land. lie died in 18.59, at the age of
eighty-eight j-ears. Our subject's mother passed
away in 1845.

The original of this sketch was one of eight
children born to his parents, only three of whom
live at the present time. He is the seventh in
order of birth, and was a child of four years of
age when his parents crossed the ocean to make a
liome in the Union. He w.is reared on the farm
near Baltimore, and in his boj'hood days was
obliged to go three miles in order to reach school.
The subscription schools were then in order, and it
cost his father $.3 for e.ach of his children for three
months' schooling. After coming to Ohio, he
prosecuted his studies in a little log sclioolhouse
with slab benches.

At the age of twent}', Hugh .Jelly learned the
blacksmith's trade, and was employed in it at
Hardin, Lockport, and Tippecanoe. He also
worked in St. Louis in 1850. On the breaking
out of the war, he enlisted in August, 1862,
in the jS'inety-ninth Ohio Inf.antry, and was a par-
ticipant in the battles of Chickamauga, Lookout
^Mountain, Resaca, Nashville, Boonesbore, and At-
lanta, besides in minor engagements. He received
his discharge in 1865, but not until he was badly
crippled, as a result of exposure and hardship.
He was detailed to duty as Director of the black-
smithing department, and often had a dozen hands
working under him. After the war, he resumed
his farming operations, continuing the work of
improving his present place.

Mr. Jelly was married in 1856 to Eliza Ann
Ta3'Ior, who was born on the farm where they
now live, and a daughter of William and Maria
Taylor. Three children have been born to our
subject and his wife. They are "William A.,
James, and Annie. The eldest son is married,
and lives on the old farm. In his political predi-
lections, he is a Democrat, and both he and his
wife are members of the Christian Church. He
served on the committee that took charge of the
buildina; on the erection of the new church. Mr.



Jelly is the o^-ner of three hundred and seventy
acres of land, which is for the most part on sec-
tion 26 and some on section 35. He has a very
comfortable and pleasant residence, which is built
of brick upon his farm. Here he raises all kinds
of stock, in dealing in which he has been very
successful.



=^^^m^^^-^^m



/^) ^'OUGH BROS. The large tile manufactory,
(l( ^ situated one-half mile north of the thriving
^g/ village of Rushsylvania, is owned and op-
erated bj' Clough Bros., wide-awake, thorough-go-
ing business men. They started this business on
a very small capital, but the superior quality of
their tiling soon became apparent, and they are
now doing a thriving and paying business.

The father of these brothers, David Clough, was
born in Waj-ne County, Pa., in 1812, and was a
tanner by trade, although his principal occupation
was farming. His father, John Clough, was a na-
tive of New Hampshire, but when about eighteen
years of age, he went to Pennsylvania and located
in Wayne County, where he passed the closing
scenes of his life, dying at a good old age. David
Clough married Miss D. King, a native of W.ayne
County, Pa., born in 1808, and the daughter of
Benjamin King, Esq., who was originally from
Rhode Island. Mr. King was supposed to be a de-
scendant of Scotch ancestors. After their mar-
riage, which occurred about 1835, Mr. Clough and
wife settled in their native State, became prominent
and respected citizens, and there died, the mother
in 1852 and the father in 1872. They were the
parents of five children, three sons and two daugh-
ters: ilaliuda M.. dece.Tsed; Robert C; Henrv H.,
of "Wisconsin: Ann. wife of Alfred Long, of Find-
l.a}', Ohio, and Benjamin F.

Robert C. Clough, the second child and eldest
son, like many of the prominent citizens of Logan
County, Ohio, was born in Pennsylvania, in Wayne
County, December 12, 1838, and there received his
education in the district schools. He remained



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPmC.VL RECORD.



479



with his parents until twenty-one years of age, but
when al)out eighteen years of age, he commenced
working in a sawmill and continued at this until
the jear 1SG7, when he was married in Wayne
County, Pa., to Miss Julia E. Dix. She was born
in Preston Township, Wayne County, Pa., in 1841,
and was the daughter of David Dix, also of that
county. After marriage, our subject and wife re-
mained in their native county, where the former
followed farming until 18(38, when they were
tempted to try their fortune in the Buckeye State.
The}' first located at Woodstock, in Champaign
County, and Robert C. worked in a tile factory for
David Ken field one year. After this, he came to
Logan Countj', this State, and started the tile fac-
tory which he and his brother now own. They
have been in the business for twenty-two 3'ears in
the .same place, and are honorable, reliable men of
business. Mr. and Mrs. Clough have no children
of their own, but they took the little daughter of
Benjamin Clough, a brother of our subject, and she
is now a bright little girl of five years. Her name
is IletUe .Julia.

Benjamin F. Clough. in partnersliip with his
brother, and the youngest of the family, was born
in Wayne County, Pa., September 30, IS.iO. He
was educated in his native county and was mar-
ried there tlie first time, December 31, 1874, to
Mi^s Ilettie M. Spencer, also of Wayne County,
Pa. He and his wife subsequently located on a
farm in their native county, and there made tlieir
home until 1 871). when they came to Logan County,
and Benjamin F. worked for his brother in the tile
factory by the month for three j'eare. He then
became a partner in the business and has since con-
tinued in that capacity. His firet wife died in Logan
County, Ohio, in 188(j. leaving three children, two
daughters and a son: Anna K.. Raymond E. and
Hettie .Tulia. jNIr. Clough took for his second wife
Miss Eflie M. Ensley, a native of Ohio, and they
have one child, Leroy.

Robert C. Clough is a member of the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, is also a mem-
ber of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which
he is Trustee, and is a strong Prohibitionist in
his political views. Benjamin F. is also a mem-
ber of the ^Iethiidi>t Ei)isciipal Church, and is



Superintendent of the Sunday-school at Rushsyl-
vania. He is also a strong Prohibitionist, and
while residing in Pennsj-lvania he was a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The
factor}' belonging to these brothers is thought to
be the largest and oldest in the county. They burn
twenty-six kilns per season and ship to all parts of
the country. The kiln is situated on fort}' acres of
land, owned by these brothers, and Robert C. owns
and carries on a farm of eighty acres, in addition
to his tiling business. Their works have a ca-
pacity of about six thousand per day.



l##^i-^"i^llM#^i



^ J. >'. ENGLISH, attoi-ney and solicitor of
r ((§; Government claims at Wapakoncta, Ohio,
,1— \ was born in Stark County, this State, on
the 22d of May, 1847, and h.as spent the principal
part of his days right here. During this time he
has not only won an enviable reputation in the
legal fields, but .as an lionoralile, upright citizen,
he has gathered around liiin a host of warm
friends.

His immediate progenitor, Daniel S, English,
was a native of New Jersey, and w.as married to
Miss Elizabeth Severn, who was originally from
Maryland, At an early date, the fertile soil of
Ohio tempted them to settle within its borders,
and in 1837 they located in Stark County. Tliere
the father cultivated the soil and p.assed the re-
mainder of his days. He was one of the repre-
sentative men of the county and was universally
respected, being enterprising and progressive. He
died in 1864. His wife died in Columbiana
County, Ohio, in 1877. They were the parents
of thirteen children, six sons and seven daughters.
The immediate subject of this sketch grew up
to sturdy manhood upon terms of familiarity
with all kinds of farm labor, and was receiving a
liberal education when the tocsin of war sounded
to arms. In 1861. he enlisted in the three-months
service, Company H. Nineteenth Ohio Infan-
try, and at tlie expiration of liis term of



480



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPmCAL RECORD.



enlistment he re-enlisted in Company I, Nine-
teenth Ohio Infantry, and served faithfully and
creditably until the 23d of June, 1865. He
participated in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River,
Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and was in all the
battles of the Atlanta campaign. He was wounded at
the battle of Chickamauga by a baj'onet, and
again severely at Lovejo}', .September 1, 186-1, by a
gunshot. After receiving his discharge, he re-
turned home and engaged in railroading on the
Pitt-sburgh, Ft. Wayne <t Chicago Railroad. This
lie followed for about two ye:iYS and then
began running a notion wagon, wliich ho contin-
ued for two years.

In ISO!), lie came to Auglaize County, Ohio,
and for eleven years was engaged in scliool-teach-
ing at St. John's, this county. In April, 1880, he
embarked in his present business, and has been
\ery successful in prosecuting all claims that came
to hand. lie has never aspired to office, but
adheres closely to his business affairs and has made
a success of whatever he has undertaken. He is a
m.an possessed of good sound judgment, excellent
business acumen, and the success which he has
achieved has been due in a large measure to his
energy and pei'severance. He was married in
1872 to Miss Cynthia E. Miller, and sis children
have been horn of this union. Mr. English is a
worthy member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows.



"■^ r*



'^/ NDRKW MADER. It is a source of inspir-
( @/lJ| | ation to brave-doing an<l endurance to

I i) learn the history of those who have,
^ through hardship and privation, won for

themselves a home in this Western world, and
we delight in telling the story of Mr. JIader. who
is one of the prominent, intelligent and worthy pio-
neers of Loraraie Township, Shelby County. He
was born in Germany, November 2.1, 1826, of the
union of Frederick C.and Anna M. (Kruspe) Mader,
natives of the Old Country. Our subject remained



in his natp V. i,ountry until 1844, or until eighteen
years of age, wlien he sailed for America, preced-
ing his parents to this country about two years.
A revolution was threatened in Germany at that
time, and as he did not care to be detained there,
no telling how long, if war actually broke out, he
determined to leave for the "Land of the Free and
the Home of the Brave," and make his fortune
there. Altliough he had some ditticultj- in secur-
ing a pass, he was finalh' successful, and took pass-
age at Bremen.

The parents of our subject crossed the ocean to
America in 1846, and located in the woods of Lor-
amie Township, Shelby County, where they pur-
chased eighty acres of raw land, built a rude log
cabin and began their career as pioneers. On this
farm the father died, in 1878, when eighty-two
years of age. He had always been a very strong
man, and was sick only two days. He served in
the German army eight years, and took part in the
war between France and Germany in 1813. While
a resident of his native country, he followed farm-
ing, and after coming to the United States was
perfectly satisfied to remain here. He was a mem-
ber of the Lutheran Church. His wife died in
1872, when sixty-two years of age. Six of the
nine children born to them are now living.

Andrew Mader, the eldest of these children,
passed his boyhood d.aj's in assisting his father on
the farm and attending school. After passing his
fourteenth birtliday he worked on a farm, and in
1844 concluded to come to the United States.
After an ocean voyage of sixty-seven days, he
landed in New York Cit\', but shortly afterward
came to Sandusky, Ohio, where he remained eigh-
teen montlis. In 1846, after the arrival of his par-
ents, he came to Shelby Count\', and for a few
years worked out, receiving .about SIO a month for
his services. In 1857, he bought twenty .acres of
partlj' cleared land, and began clearing and im-
proving. Deer and other animals were still quite
plentiful, and Mr. Mader killed a good man}'. He
has resided on his present farm since the spring of
1846, and anyone viewing his well cultivated and
productive fields could hardly realize tliat it was
at one time covered with a forest and that filled
with wild animals.




RESIDENCE OF ANDREW MADER, SEC. 2A., LORAMI E TP, SHELBY CO.,0




PES DENCl of a a SVliTH , 5:C 3 , Sr IVAP^S ~= AUCLA Zl CO



PORTRAIT AXD BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



483



In 1857, Elizabeth Barbara Brelira, a native of
Shelby County, Ohio, and whose parents were na-
tives of Gernian\-, became tlie wife of our subject.
Mr. and Mrs. Maderare tlie parents of ten children
as follows: Frederick W., Mary Elizabeth. Edward
C, Matilda A., Minnie R., Emma C, .Tolin A.,
Franklin A., Harrison N.. and Clara I., respec-
tively. ;\Ir. ;\Iader is independent in his political
views, and votes for the best man irrespective of
party. He was Assessor for four 3'ears, Land Ap-
praiser in 1890, Trustee for three years, and has
been Scliool Director for many years. In religion,
he and Mrs. Madcr are members of the Lutheran
Cliuroli. He owns one hundred and twenty-four
acres on section 24. all improved, on whieli he h.is
a fine new house and barn. He rai.scs all kinds of
stock, has been as successful in this as farming,
and IS a man of excellent judgment, well liked in
his community. A view of liis homestead will be
noticed on another page.



ARON A. SMITH is a farmer of more than
I'M ordinar}' practical ability and progressivc-
(i ncss, who has ke[]t well abreast of the
times in his calling, and has one of the
best managed and finest improved farms in all this
region, pleasantiv located on section 9, St. Marj-'s
Township, within the corporate limits of the citj-
of St. Mary's, .and valuable alike for its fertilit}',
and as the site of some half dozen oil wells, of
which five are good producers. A view of this
estate is elsewhere shown. Both our subject and
his estimable wife are among the earliest native-
born citizens of Auglaize County, their parents be-
ing among its very first settlers, and they them-
selves are classed with its pioneers, who have lieen
potent in its upbuilding and in advancing its in-
terests socially, morally and rcligionslj" by the ex-
ample of upright Christian lives.

Mr. Smith was bora December 14. 1824. in one
of the first pioneer homes established in the town-
ship of St. Mary's, that of Henry A. Smith, a na-



tive of Delaware, who came to Ohio with his
mother when a boy, and lived near Cincinnati
until his marriage. In 1821, he came to Auglaize
County and settled at St. Mary's among the In-
dians, and thus w.as one of the very first to settle
in the county. He had to cut his way tlu'ough the
country, which was new, with scarcely- a white in-
habitant within its l)orders, when he selected a
suitable location for a farm. He was a skillful
hunter, and killed many a deer, wild turkey and
bear to snpph' the family larder. He cleared con-
siderable land, and I)ought and sold several tracts,
being a man of much enterprise, and with a good
faculty for making money. He endured numerous
hardships incidental to the times, but struggled
bravely and cheerfully with all obstacles to success,
and was doing fairly well financially when death
terminated his busy career in 1843, at the age of
forty-four years, while his life was still in its prime.
He was a religious man, and one of the prime mov-
ers in establishing the Jlethodist faith in his com-
munitj-. He had one of the largest dwellings in
the neighborhood, and divine worship was gener-
ally held in his house.

The mother of our subject bore the maiden
name of Elizabeth A. Hinkle, and was born at Mill
Creek, near Cincinnati. She was a daughter of
Asa Hinkle, who was Captain of a company of sol-
diei-s during the War of 1812, and with his com-
mand visited the present site of St. Mary's at some
time during that period. He was so much pleased
with the country that he bought considerable land
in this locality, which he afterwards gave to his
children, .and later in life settled here, making it
his home from that time until his death. The
mother of our subject died in 1850, aged fifty-three
years. She was a zealous member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and actively co-operated with
her husband and their fellow-pioneei-s in its up-
building. She was the mother of eleven children,
of wliom seven are still living. The eldest child,
Asa H., was the first white child born within the
limits of this county, so far .as known.

Aaron A. Smith, of whom this biography is
written, is the third child of the fami'n-. lie is
familiar with every phase of pioneer life, and can
well remember when the ci>untr\' w.as scarceh'



484



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



more than an unbroken wilderness, and when there
were few or no roads, the people traveling mostly
on horseback over Indian trails or bridle paths
through the woods from place to place. Those



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 57 of 76)