W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 65 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 65 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He is a civil engineer and surveyor and followed
this business in Logan County for twenty years.



In connection with his other business enterprises
he is also an inventor,and author of three patents.
He raises stock .and all his farming operations
are conducted in a manner suggesting thorough-
ness and completeness. He has met with more
than the ordinary degree of success and is a man
whose sound judgment and excellent business
acumen have brought him in good returns. He has
kept a diary for thirty-six years. Mr. and Mrs.
Lukeus are the parents of one child, Charles
H., who was born in 1869, and is a graduate of
the Starling Medical College of Columbus, Ohio.
He is a bright young man and a very fine penman,
having been Professor of Penmanship in the Cen-
tral Ohio College, where he w.as graduated in 1887,
before attending the medical college. He is now
practicing his profession and resides with his par-
ents. Our subject is an ardent Republican in pol-
itics, was an Abolitionist in early times, takes an
active interest in the political issues of the day,
and is a fluent and forcible speaker. He has been
School Director for many years and is thoroughly
interested in educational matters.



^ AMES SLACK, Esq., who is engaged in the
sale and repair of machinery, and is one of
the finest machinists in .Auglaize County,
is prominently connected with the oflicial
life of New Knoxville and Washington Township in
various civic capacities. He is a native of Ohio,
and was born in Cincinnati, July 11, 1851. His
father, Benjamin Slack, and his grandfather, James
Slack, were born in Pennsylvania. The latter was
a farmer, and came to Ohio in an early day. The
father of our subject learned the trade of a carpen-
ter in youtli, and worked at it in Cincinnati and
other places in this State. But he was not a ro-
bust man, and he died in 1860, at the age of
thirty-four years, while yet in the prime of man-
hood, llis wife, Christina Slack, wee Kuck, a Ger-
man by birth, survives him. She is a member of



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



533



tlie German Reformed Church, ami a sincere Chris-
tian in every respect.

Our subject is the eldest in a family of four
childreu, and the Only one living. lie came to
New Knoxville with his parents in 18.59, when he
was a child, and has made his home here ever since,
proving, when he attained man's estate, a valuable
addition to its citizenship. lie attended the com-
mon district schools in his boyhood, but he is
mainly self-educated, learning much by intelligent
reading and by observation .and experience, as his
health was poor for several years when he was a
child, so that he could not alwaj'S go to school regu-
larly. He early displayed a decided genius for
mechanics, and even in his boyhood could handle
tools very skillfully. He is a first-class machinist,
and can do anything he sets his hand to. This
talent is of great use to him, as he can make it very
profitable by repairing all kinds of machinery,
which forms a part of his business, and he also
sells thresher's supplies, including steam engines
and other machinery.

iMr. Slack and Miss Fanny Graessle, a native of
Ohio, and a daughter of Pliilip and Julia Graessle,
were united in marriage in 187.5, and two children
complete their happy household, Cora and Bertha.
]Mrs. Slack's father is in the Methodist ministry,
and is now stationed at Pomeroy, Ohio. Our sub-
ject and his family have a very pleasant home in
a large modem frame residence, which is sur-
rounded by a neat and attractive lawn, everj'-
thing both within and without the house indicat-
ing a high degree of taste. Mr. Slack has other
valuable property, including the natural gas plant
that supplies New Knoxville with light and fuel,
and of which he is the sole proprietor.

Our subject is a man of fine mental and moral
calibre, is well infonned in the current events of
the day, and has the esteem and full confidence
of all with whom he associates. His opinion is
vahied b\' his fellow-citizens, who often seek his
counsel, and they have entrusted to his guidance
several important oliiccs. ,He has been connected
with the School Board for several yeare as Clerk
and Treasurer; has been Justice of the Peace
twelve years, and is Notary Public, transacting
considerable business for his neiirhbors in that



cap.acity; and for nineteen years he h.as been
Clerk of Washington Township. In politics, he is
a deci<led Republican. Religiously, both he and his
estimable wife are INIethodists, and true Christian
pnnci|)les are manifested in their daily acts of
charity, consideration for others, and kindly
thoughts for all.



'T^.EV. CLINTON D. HOOVER, who for a
y<u' number of years has been aiding in the
^ * spread of the Gospel, devotes himself with
'' assiduity and loving zeal to the work of the
ministrj-. The center of his present field of labor
is in the city of Wapakoneta, where he is pastor of
the Presbyterian Church. He is a man of broad
intelligence, decided literary ability and the digni-
fied yet winning manners so thoroughly in keeping
with his profession.

He whose name heads this sketch was born in
Hagerstown, Md., October 19, 1859, and is the son
of David and Elizabeth (Stephey) Hoover, also
natives of M.aryland, whore the father, who is a
retired farmer, is still residing. They were the
parents of three sons and five daughters, three of
whom are now living, and of whom our subject is
the only son. He received a literary- education in
the High School at Hagerstown, and was reared to
mature years on the home farm. Having joined
the church about eighteen years ago, Mr. Hoover
took immediate action to prepare himself for the
ministry, and entering the Pennsylvania College
at Gettysburg, in 1879, was graduated with the
honors of his class in 1883. Thence he went to
Yale College, and after a three-yeai's course in
that well-known institution, w.as graduated there-
from in 188(3.

After completing his ministerial studies, the Rev.
Mr. Hoover w.as engaged for five months in general
missionary work and in organizing and build-
ing churches in Norllnveslcrn Dakota. In 1887,
he came to Columbus, where he was ordained and
given a pastoral charge over a church at Circle-



534



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ville, where he remained for two years. In 1889,
he came to AVapakoncta, where his labors have
been expended in belialf of the cluiieli here, the
congregation representing tlie leading families of
the city.

Mr. Hoover w;is married June 27, 188'J, to Miss
Sadie Albaiigli, of Ciicleville. Our subject in so-
cial matters is a member of the M.asonic fraternity,
and a Kniglit of Pythi.as. He is a talented young
man, an able minister, and the work which he has
accomplished in the uplifting of hum.anily can
only be measured when time shall be no more.



"ifi OHX C. NOBLE is a descendant of a promi-
I 1 nent pioneer family of this section of Ohio,

d] and has himself been potent in developing
,^_Jj and extending the rich agricultural inter-
ests of Auglaize County, his farm on section 5,
Salem Township, ranking among the first within
its borders in all the essentials of a well-appointed,
skillfully managed farm. Mr. Noble has a fine
mUitary record, although he was but a hoy when
he entered the army, during the trying times of the
Rebellion, and fought side by side with the
bravest and sturdiest veterans of his regiment,
serving with credit in many of the severest battles
of the war.

Itlr. Noble is a native of the adjoining county
of fiercer, born in tlie town of Mendon, Jlarch
9, 1815. His ancestry is traced back to three
brothers, who emigrated from England in Colo-
nial times, one of them having settled in Mary-
land. Tlie great-grandfather of our subject w.as a
Revolutionary soldier, and tlie grandfather of our
subject Ijore a gaUant part in the War of 1812.
Elisha Noble, from whom our suliject is descended,
was born on the Eastern shore of Maryland, and
emigrated thence to Ohio in the early days of its
settlement. He became a pioneer of Clinton County,
and later of Mercer CViuntv, of which latter (ilacc
he was au early and prominent settler, living there



many years. He was Commissioner of the county,
and held other offices of trust.

The father of our subject, who bore the same
name as himself, was born in Clinton County, and
was young when his father removed to Mercer
County. He became a farmer, and had a bright
and promising career before him, which was sud-
denlj- closed by his death in 1844, at an early age.
The mother of our subject was Isabelle Hamilton
prior to her marriage, and was a daughter of
Judge Justin Hamilton, one of the prominent and
best-known pioneers of Mercer County. He was
surveyor. Legislator, Judge and Brigadier-General
of State militia, and was noted for his intelligence
and force of char.acter. He reared a family of re-
markable children. The mother of our subject
was twice married, becoming the wife of Lewis
Brewer after her first husband's death. By her
first marriage, she had two children, and five by
her second union.

Mr. Noble is the j'ounger and only living child
born to his parents. He attended the district
schools until he was seventeen years old, and ob-
tained such an education as the times afforded,
when primitive, rudely furnished log schoolhouses
were the order of the d.ay. War broke out between
the North and tlie South while he was conning his
lessons in the old schoolhouse, and at length he
abandoned his studies that hemiglit join tlie brave
boj'S in blue to help fight his country's battles, al-
tliough he was but seventeen years old. He en-
listed in August, 1862, in Company E, One Hun-
dred and Eighteenth Ohio Infantry', and for six
months w.as engaged principally in scouting with
a detachment of his company in Kentucky, and
then he and his comrades were ordered to join
Burnside in Eastern Tennessee. They did some
hard fighting in the battles of Mossy Creek,
Loudoun, Campbell's Station, Kingston, Buzzard's
Roost, Rcsaca, Peach Tree Creek, New Hope
Church. Kenesaw Mountain, Lost Mountnin, At-
lanta, Franklin. Nashville, Ft. Anderson and Wil-
mington, and in all these famous engagements the
men of the One Hundred and Eighteenth won
high reputation as among the bravest and best
soliliers in tlie field. At New Berne, X. C.our sub-
ject at length succumbed to tlie hardships which



PORTRAIT AXD BIOGRAPinCAL RECORD.



535



he had to unclergo, was placed on the sick list in
the liospital, and was unlil fur further active ser-
vice. Not long after the war closed, he was
mustered out at Salisljury, N. C, and received his
final discharge papers at Cleveland.

Returning home at the end of his soldier's
career, 5Ir. Noble turned his attention to complet-
ing his education, and spent the ensuing two years
at the Normal Universitj- at Lebanon. lie left
that institution with a high reputation for scholar-
ship, and for several _vears taught sehix>l winters,
and devoted the remainder of the season to farm-
ing. In 1872, he located on his farm ou section 5,
Salem Township, which he has cleared and im-
proved from a wilderness, besides buying and
placing under cultivation one hundred and sixty
more acres. Ho now h.as three hundred and twenty
acres of tine land, which he h.as transformed into
one of the choicest farms in all Auglaize County,
with fields admirably di-ained and tilled; a frame
house and barn and substantial buildings for all
needed purposes are indicative of thrift and
plenty, wliile the farm is supplied with every con-
venience for carrying on agriculture after tlie best
modern methods, as our sultject is an intelligent,
thoughtful, practical farmer, and brings a clear
well-trained brain to his work. A man of his
caliljre and well-known integrity necessarily oc-
cupies an important position in his township, and
we find his name among the list of oflice-holders.
He has served as Trustee, and as Assessor two
terms. He has been a Republican in polities, and
a memlier of Kishler Post No. 8.3, G. A. R., and
was Commander in 1889, and Lieutenant Colonel
of Auglaize Battalion. Our subject for the past
two or three yeare has identified himself with the
Laljor party and was the State delegate to the .St.
Louis Labor Conference of February 22. 1892, of
that party. He is an Elder in tlie Presbyteri.an
Church, and is a manly, earnest Christian, whose
exemplary life is an infiuence for good in his com-
munity.

Mr. Noljle attributes his success in life to his
beloved wife of sainted memory, to whom he was
wedded Novemljcr 1. 1871. Theii-s was a true
marriage, whose only sorrmv was in her death that
ended it .lanuarv 11. IsiH. It had lieen hallowed



by the birth of three children: Edith, Charles and
Elbert. Mi-s. Noble's maiden name was Josephine
E. Richardson, and she was born in Mercer Countyi
February 17, 1843, of which place her parents, who
were from New Jersey, were early settlers. She had
a fine mind, was well educated, and taught several
successive terms. She possessed much literary
abilit3% wrote in an easy, pleasing style, liaving a
large stock of information from which to draw,
and she w.as often called upon to prepare notices
for the papers, to write ess.ays or articles for public
occasions, and her graceful pen was always prompt
in response to such demands. Her accomplish-
ments made her by no means negligent of her
domestic duties or of the comfort of her loved
ones. Ou the contrary-, she was a superior house-
wife, and was noted for her good management of
her household affairs, possessing unusual common-
sense and judgment. She made her husband's
interests her own, and was his guide, counselor
and friend. Slie was a member of the Presbj-terian
Church, and a faithful worker in the fold, who
w.as always doing good whenever opportunity of-
fered, and

" All hearts grew warmer in the presence
Of one who, seeking not her own.
Gave freely for the love of giving,
Nor reaped for self the harvest sown."

'• 'Tis hard to take this burden up,

AVhen sucli have laid it down;
They brightened all the J03S of life,

They softened every frown;
But oh, 'tis good to think of them

When we are tempted sore!
Thanks be to God that sueli have been,

Although they are no more."



I»; A. SKILLEN, pension attorney for Sit



ney, Ohio, and one of the old soldiers of

^ \^ this count}', is a stanch patriot, and is as

loyal to his friends as to liis country. He was

born on the 5th of January, 1830, to the union

of James and Sarah (Jones) Skillen. Tlie father



536



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



was a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., and
came to Hamilton County, Ohio, in 181 6, and from
there to Shelby County in 1826, following the pur-
suit of farming all his life. After locating there,
he was for niauj- years Justice of the Peace. Tliere
he made his home until the year 1854, when he
moved to Bremer County, Iowa, and there re-
ceived his final summons in the year 1882. The
mother had departed tliis life in the year 1865.
Both were faithful members of the New Light or
Christian Church, and he was a minister in the
same for fifty years.

During his youthful days, our subject divided
his time in attending the common schools and in
assisting his father on the farm. After reaching
his majority, he continued farming for himself,
and was married to Miss Caroline Rice, of Salem
Township, this county. Seven children were born
to this union, five of whom are living: S. W., a
United States soldier for the past seven and a half
years; D. O., traveling salesman for the Kennedy
Cracker Company; Anna M., wife of C. M. Davis,
of Piqua; Laura M. and James O. are still attend-
ing school. Mr. Skillen continued farming until
the 18th of August, 1861, when he was filled with
a patriotic desire to aid his country's cause, and
he enlisted in Company B, Twentieth Ohio
Infantry. He was sent to the Army of the
Tennessee, Seventeenth Corps, and participated
in the following battles: Ft. Donelson, Shiloh,
Bolivar, luka, Middleburg, Grand Gulf, Port
Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hill, Big
Black River, Vicksburg, Mechanicsburgh, Ft. Hill,
and Vicksburg. He was in the expedition from
Vicksburg to Meridian. During the battle of
Vicksburg, he was wounded five times, and has
never fully recovered from the effects. He was
afterward at the field hospital and on the hospital
boat for some time. He subsequently returned to
the army, but was only assigned to court duty for
the first year. He entered the army as a private,
and was promoted through the different degrees,
until at the close he was mustered out as a
Captain.

Returning to his home, he was engaged in mer-
chandising and trading, and is one of the popular
and active business men of Sidney. He is an ac-



complished and polished gentleman, both by in-
stinct and training, and possesses generous, true-
hearted, and hospitable instincts. In him the com-
munity has a faithful and unswerving friend, ever
alert to serve its best interests, and generous in
his contributions towards every movement tend-
ing to general advancement. He has been en-
gaged in the pension business alone since April 1,
1891, but was with Mr. Van Fossen for several
years. He is a member of the Grand Army, and
has been through all the offices of the same and
nearly through again. He lost his wife in 1880,
and his second marriage was to Mrs. Ilattie Rike,
of Port Jefferson, Salem Township, Shelby County,
Ohio. To this marriage no children have been
born.



\f^ OBERT H. CANBY, Superintendent of the
IWir City Gas Works of Bellefontaine, was born
l^ % in Warren County, this State, February 25,
1821. He is a son of Dr. Joseph and Mar-
garet (Haines) Canby, natives of Virginia, who,
on emigrating to this State, made their way down
the Ohio River in a flatboat soon after this State
was admitted to the Union. They were married
at Waynesville, this State, and became the parents
of five sons and five daughters.

The father of our subject, who was a very promi-
nent physican, pureued his medical studies in the
Philadelphia (Pa.) Medical College. He was a
man of rare ability in his profession, and on
coming to Logan County in the spring of 1825
settled on the Great Miami, ten miles west of this
city, where his death occurred in 1843. He ran
on the Whig ticket as a candidate for the Legis-
lature, but after the election it was found he was
not eligible for the office. He was very much de-
voted to his profession, and his success in that
line was phenomenal. He was also known through-
out this section as a skillful surgeon, and in all his
efforts received the hearty co-operation of his
wife.

Mr. Canby of this sketch was reared in this



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



537



couiit3',and received such education as the schools
of that day afforded, later, liowever, attending
school in Piqua. He remained on tlie home farm
until tliirtj- years of age, when he engaged in rail-
roading and milling, being connected with the
Bollefontaine & Indianapolis Railroad for eleven
years, in which company he was Director for the
same length of time. He also owned a flour mill,
which business he carried on in connection with
his other duties until the construction of the Gas
Worlds in this place, when he became Superinten-
dent of the companj', and has filled tliat pi'eition
for twenty years. He has tlie entire charge of the
concern, all of its man.agemcnt devolving upon
the Trustees.

Tlie lady to wliom our subject was married in
1843 was Miss Ann Leister, and to them w.os born
one son, Joseph L. His wife dying. Mr. Canby. in
1847, was married to Catherine Wolf, by wliom he
has two sons and three daughters: Edward, Frank
L., Maggie (Mrs. B. F. Allen), Carrie (Mrs. R. F.
Tremain) and F.annie, who m.arried William Miller,
of Detroit, where he is engaged in the manufac-
ture of furs. In social affairs, our subject is a
Tliirty-seeond Degree M.ason, and has been very
liberal in his contributions to the general welfare
of the community, who hold him in high esteem.
He is identitied with the Lutheran Church, of
which denomination his wife is also amemlier. and
thev are among its most earnest workers.



S^, ARIL'S GLICK. For more tli.an thirty-
five j'eare a resident of his present farm
in Jackson Township, Shelby County, Mr.
Glick has been instrumental in cultivating
the soil and embcllisliing the place with substan-
tial improvements. At the time of its purchase,
the farm was unimproved save by a hewn-log
house, and it required tlie most arduous exertions
tlirougli a long series of jears in order to effect the
improvements visible to-day. After liaviiig given



a goodlj' amount to bis children, Mr. Glick retains
two hundred and fortj'-six acres, beside a one-Iialf
interest in the homestead in Fairfield County,
where liis father made his early home.

The grandfather of our subject, Peter Glick,
w.as a native of Pennsylvania and an early settler
of Ohio, locating in Fairfield County in 180G,
when that section of the State was little more than
a dense wilderness. He was accompanied by his
family, which included a son, Benjamin, who was
six years old at the time of the removal. Tlie
latter grew to manliood amid the primeval scenes
of Fairfield County, wliere he was married to Anna
S wanders, a native of Pennsylvania, and the daugli-
ter of Frederick Swandcrs, wlio removed to Oliio
during the jear that witnessed the arrival of the
Glick farailj-.

After their marriage, the parents of our subject
settled on a farm of one hundred and sixty acres,
the gift of Grandfather Glick. Tliere were born to
them six children, namely; Daniel, Reuben, Mrs.
Mary Ware, Darius, Lucas F., and Joab, the latter
of whom died leaving a family of eight children.
Tlie wife and mother dying in 18-40, Mr. Glick
was married again, choosing as his wife Jlrs. Sarah
(Woodring) Slusser, a native of Pennsylvania,
who died in 187'J. The father remained on the
old homestead until his death, wliich occurred in
Juno, 1887. He w.as an upright man, and an ac-
tive worker in the German Reformed Church, in
wliich he was an Elder for fifteen years. Politi-
cally, he was a Democrat, and held a number of
local olllces, including those of Supervisor and
School Director.

Born in Fairfield County, Ohio, November 8,
1831, our subject grew to man's estate on the old
homestead. At the age of seventeen, he com-
menced to learn the trade of a slioemaker, serving
an apprenticesliip of two j-ears at Royalton, after
which he worked as a journej-ra.an for one year.
He tlien embarked in business for himself and was
thus eng.aged for six yeai-s. Meanwhile, he estab-
lished a liome of his own, his marriage. April 6,
1851, uniting him witli IMiss Ellen W. Ware, wlio was
born in F.airfield County, December 20, 1831. Tlie
parents of Mrs. Glick were Conrad and Elizabeth
(Slusser) Ware, natives of Pennsylvania and early



538



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPfflCAL RECORD.



settlers of Ohio, where they resided until death.
Mrs. Glick died in 1867.

Seven children were boru of this union: Ben-
jamin, who died leaving a wife and one child;
Joab C, of Jackson Township, who married Lor-
etta Cl.ayton and has a family of sis children;
Almina Jane, wife of Andrew Stapleton, of Jack-
son Township, and the mother of five children;
Elmer E., who resides in Jackson Township, his
family consisting of his wife, formerly Mary Wen-
rick, and their one child; Marj' E., Mrs. J.icob
Rostorfer, of Auglaize Township, who is the mother
of three children; Ellen, wife of Hair}' Wenrick,
a resident of J.iekson Township, they being the
parents of one child; and Anna M., who died in
infancj'.

In 18.56, Mr. Glick removed to Shelby County
and located one mile north of his present resi-
dence, whither he soon afterward removed. He
has cleared one hundred and twentj- acres and
brought his farm to a high state of cultivation.
At the time he located in J.ackson Township, the
country was sparsely settled and the now thriv-
ing village of Jackson Centre was not then in ex-
istence, its site being maiked only by a small
shanty. During the thirty-five years in which he
has resided continuously upon his present farm,
he has witnessed many changes in the suiTOund-
ing country, and has hioiself contributed not a lit-
tle to effect its advancement, having contributed
12,500 in the construction of pike roads alone.

September 1, 1SG7, Mr. Glick w.as married to
Mrs. Jane E. Clayton, whose parents, Jolin and
Jane (Anderson) Darnell, were natives of Ken-



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 65 of 76)