W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 66 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 66 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tuck}-, whence they removed to Ohio in an early
day. JIi-s. Glick was born in Champaign County,
Ohio, Xovember II, IS2'J, and is one of ten chil-
dren. Two of her brothers and two brothers-in-
law served in the Civil War, and tlirec gave their
lives in defense of the Union. The only child
born of the union of JMr. and Mi-s. Glick is Emery
D. O., a young man of great ability and promise,
who is now teaching in Shelby Counlv.

The Methodist Episcopal Church at, Jackson
Centre numbers Mr. and Mre. Glick among its
most faithful and active members, and he has
served .as Trustee. Steward and as Class-leader for



thirty-three years. They are especially interested
in Sunday-school work, and have been teachers for
many years, Mr. Glick having also served as Super-
intendent. He is a member of the INIasonic fra-
ternity, in which he has filled the various chairs
and was M:vster for two j'ears. Realizing the ad-
vantages of good schools, he has been instrumental
in effecting many needed improvements while
serving as Director and as a member of the Town-
ship Board of Education for eight j'ears. Formerly
he was a Republican, but when he could no longer
conscientiously adhere to its principles, he Joined
the Prohibition party, with which he has been
identified for three years. He has filled the posi-
tion of Township Treasurer for two years and also
served as Constable. He and his wife have been
active workers in the cause of temperance, and
she served as President of the Woman's Christian
Temperance Union for two years.



ANLOVE C. HOLMES. Retired from the
active business of life, our subject is now
in the enjoyment of the fruits of his early
l.aboi-s. His residence in the thrifty and
beautiful city of Sidney is well adapted for the
peaceful cnjovmcnt of the serene years of older
life, and he enjoys the adv.antages to be derived
from a residence in a city so bounteously gifted
in various ways as is this. He is one of the rep-
resentative men of the county, as well as one of
its early settlers, having been a resident of this
and Logan Counties since 183-t.

The immediate progenitor of our subject, John
Holmes, w.aa born in Berkele}- County, Va., and
there grew to manhood and was married to Miss
Margaret Chambers, whose parents were from Del-
aware. After marriage, he and his family moved
to Quincy, Logan County, Ohio, .and Jlr. Holmes
built the second house there. At that time, the
surrounding country was all woods, and Sandusk}-
Indians were plentiful, .as were also wild animals.
The father was a cooper by trade and was the first



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



539



one in tlie county. He followed his trade here
until his death in 1840. He left the following
children: Violet, wife of John S. Jordon; Man-
love; Margaret, wife of David AVeaver; Nancy
died on tlie day the father passed away; Louisa;
William and John B. Only our subject and John
B. are now living, the former engaged in agricul-
tural pursuits in Champaign County, this State.
The mother died in 1886. The f.ather and mother
were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The original of this sketch was born in Musk-
ingum Count}', near Zancsville, this .State, June
29, 1822, and received his scholastic training in
the schools of Quincy. Bnt after the death of the
father, the care and support of the family fell on
the shoulders of our subject, who, having learned
the cooper's trade from his father, carried on the
shop in Quincy until the tocsin of war sounded.
Previous to this, on the 2(3th of March, 18-16, he
was married to Miss F^va Jane Joseph, a native of
Fairfield Count}-, Ohio, and the result of this
union was four children, two of whom survive,
Alonzo, now in Gallon, a railroad man. and Lucy,
wife of Albert Sa3-re, of this city, who h.os three
children, William, Cora and Walter.

Upon the opening up of hostilities between the
North and .South, our subject enlisted in Company
G, One Hundred and Thirty-second Ohio Infantry,
and was sent to the eastern department of the
army. After being out for three months, he was
injured by a fall through a bridge, after being at
Petersburgh. etc., and was discharged for disabilit}-.
Returning to Quincy, he resumed his trade and
soon afterward lost his wife. Mr. Holmes remained
in Quincy until 18SS and during that time held
the otiice of Marehal. Street Commissioner, etc.,
and discharged the duties of the same in a very
satisfactory manner. He is now entirely retired
from active business pursuits and is a man highly
regarded for his many excellent qualities. He has
been a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows since 186.5, and is a member of Joe Taylor
Post, G. A. R., of De Graff. He h.as been Noble
Grand Secretary and Vice-Grand Chaneelor
through the Independent Order of Odd Fellows'
lodge. He has resided in the Big Miami Valley
for fiftv vears and h.as been considerable of a



traveler in his day, having been all over the West.
He is a man of broad knowledge, excellent judg-
ment and excellent business principles. In his
travels, he took his son with him to complete his
education.



j OHN MAY. No State in the forty-four
gives greater encour.agement to a man who
desires to devote himself to agricultural

life than does Ohio. As a grain-growing

State, this ranks among the fii-st in the Union and
in the raising of live stock it is trulj' notable.
Our subject is one who h.as found success in the
liue of agriculture and now follows general farm-
ing and stock-raising in Jefferson Township, his
residence being four miles e.ist of Bellefoutaine.
He was born in Highland Township, Muskingum
County, on the 9th of November, 1827, to the
union of Alexander and Margaret (McL.aughlin)
May, both natives of Washington Count}-, P.a.,
the former born in March, 1788, and the latter on
the 12th of February, 1793. The paternal grand-
father, Samuel May, w.as a native of Maryland and
followed the occup.ation of a school teacher in his
native State for many yeai-s. The maternal grand-
father was a native of the Emerald Isle, but was
descended from Scotch ancestors.

The parents of our subject were reared in their
native count}- in Pennsylvania, where they mar-
ried, and the same year resolved to try their for-
tunes in the State of Ohio. They made the journey
on horseb.ack, and located in Muskingum County,
where they took up Government land. They
erected a log cabin on the farm and, there beina;
no door to it, .i blanket was hung up to take its
place. They remained in that county and im-
proved their farm until 1833, when they came to
Logan County, settling on the farm where our
subject now lives, in a log house. There the father
died in 1833. He w.as a member of the Union
Church and one of its most active workers, as
was also his wife. She died on the 4th of Julv,



540



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1874. This worthy couple became the parents of
seven children, three sons and four daughters,
who are in the order of their births .as fol-
lows: James, now residing in Linn County, Ore.;
Samuel, a resident of this county; Jane, the widow
of William Taylor, of Monroe Township, Logan
County; Slargaret (Mm. Bishop), deee.ised; John;
Nancy, Mrs. McLaughlin, residing in this county,
and JIary Ann, who died when twelve years of
age.

Our subject w.os but six years of age when he
came with his parents to Logan County, and liis
first attendance .at school was in Jefferson Town-
ship of that county in a little rude cabin. His
father died when he w.os but six years of age
and the mother w.as left with a family of seven
children, the eldest being thirteen years of age
and the youngest an infant. He remained with
his mother until twenty-one j-ears of age and later
she lived with him until her death. On the 6th
of June, 1861, Mr. May was married to Sarah
M. Rockwell, a native of Holmes County, Ohio,
born August 21, 1840. Her parents, Charles and
Mary Ann (Marquis) Rockwell, were natives of
Cornwall, Vt., and Wiishington County, Pa.,
respectivelj', the former born on the 16th of Octo-
ber, 1812, and the Latter on the 3d of January,
1816. Charles Rockwell w.as about twelve years
of age when he came witli his parents to Ohio.
His father, Jeremiah Rockwell, was a native of Ver-
mont and w.os married in his native State. Blrs. May
was one of ten children, four of whom are living
at the present time: James 0., Mrs. Nancy Worth,
Mrs. Smith R. Thompson and Jlrs. M.ay.

Directly .after marriage, our subject located on
the old homestead, where he now lives and is the
owner of two hundred and twenty-two .acres, the
principal part of which is under cultivation. He
follows general farming .and is engaged in breed-
ing fine Short-horn cattle. In 1882, he erected a
good b.arn,40sG0 feet, witli ab.asement, at acostof
§1,200, and now has one of the best farms in his
section. He is enterprising and progressive and
has made a success of his chosen occupation. Two
children were born to his marri.age, Helen, the
wife of W. E. Smith, of Bellefontaine, Ohio, and
Anna, who died when but nine months old. In



politics, Mr. May is a Republican and his first
Presidential vote was cast for Gen. Scott in 1852.
He was Trustee of Jefferson Township for over
twelve 3'ears and is now .School Director. He is
not connected with any cliurch but is a believer
in all good work and a liberal contributor to the
same. Mrs. May is a lady in every sense of that
term and is intelligent and refined.



>Yl S. VAN HORN. In narrating the lives of
the many wealthy citizens and prominent
old settlers of Logan County, Ohio, we find
no one more worth}' of mention, or whose
long life of usefulness is more worthy to be chron-
icled, than the much esteemed and successful farmer,
J. S. Van Horn. His parents, William and Mary
(Davis) Van Horn, were natives of West Virginia,
the father being born in Harrison Count}'. The
latter was married in his native State, and in 1828
he and his family emigrated to the Buckeye State
and settled in the woods in Clarke County. There
he resided until 1839, when he made a settlement
in Logan County. There were very few settlers
here at that time, and Mr. Van Horn bought eighty
acres from one of them, and also bought land from
the Government, p.aying $1.25 per acre. A few
Indians were in the county and they had their
camp a mile and a half from his home. He settled
in a round-log cabin with a clapbo.ard roof, punch-
eon Hoor, etc., and amid these rude surroundings,
and in this primitive manner, he began Laying the
foundation for his subsequent prosperous career.
He was a hard worker, and although deer, bears
and other wild animals were plentiful, he cared
very little for hunting and spent all his spare time
in clearing the farm of the heavy timber with
which it was covered. This was the first farm in
the county, and at the time of his death, which
occurred in 1857, he was the owner of between
four and five hundred .acres of land All this was
the result of liis own industry and good manage-
ment, for he started out with very little else than



PORTR.UT AKD BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



541



a pair of stout arms and a determination to suc-
ceed. Ilis marriage resulted in tlie birth of twelve
children, eleven of whom re.iched mature years.
They were named as follows: Sobrina, Jacob, Su-
scilla, ilinerva. Amy, Job, Eli, John and William
and Lewis (twins), Maria Louisa Josephine and
JMary Josinlha Eglantine (twins). The mother
died when forty-Bve years of age. Both parents
were Seventh-day Baptists all their lives, and the
father was a Democrat in politics.

The subject of this sketch w.os born in Clarke
County, Ohio, September 8, 1828, and was but ten
years of age when he came with his parents to Lo-
gan County, Ohio. He assisted in driving sheep to
this point and remembers the journey perfectly.
After reaching this county, the sheep were kept in
tight rail pens to keep away the wolves, but after
all many were destroyed in that way. Our subject
attended the pioneer log schoolhouse, with slab
seats, clapboard roof, weighed down with poles,
and the large oijen fireplace. Part of the time
these were subscription schools. lie was obliged
to go to West Libert}- to do his trading when tUey
first settled in this county, and when seventeen
years of age he branched out for himself. He used
to attend log-rollings and all the other gatherings
of those da\s. When seventeen j'ears of age, he
went to Clarke County, Ohio, and worked out in
order to get money to bu}- clothes. Instead of the
clothes, however, he bought forty acres of land on
the canal in Defiance Count}-, Ohio, but subse-
quently traded that for fort}' acres in Logan
County, and after his marriage located there.

Mr. Van Horn was married on the loth of Feb-
ruary, 1848, to Miss Charity Taylor, a native of
Washington County, Pa., born December 31, 1829,
and the fruits of this union were nine chil-
dren: Henry (deceased), Eli, James, William,
Evangeline (deceasc<l), Jnhn (deceased), Alonzo
(deceased), Jacob and Irvin. Mrs. A'an Horn came
to Ohio with her parents. J:imes and Nancy (Smith)
Taylor, in tlie year 18 41. and settled in this
townsliip, where the father opened a fine farm.
Here his death occurred a number of years later.
After marriage, our subject moved on his forty
acres and commenced housekeeping in a log cabin.
Not a tree had been cut on his place and he went



to work with much determination to improve and
make a pleasant home. He and his economical
and thrifty wife worked hard and put up with all
inconveniences to make improvements on their
place. For bedsteads Mr, Van Horn took ' logs,
bored holes in the ends and in these inserted poles
for legs. He used bark for bed cord. Later, he
bought eighty acres additional, traded that for the
old home place, and then bought his present prop-
erty, settling on the s.ame in 1865, He is now the
owner of one hundred and sixty acres here and
about two hundred and eighteen acres altogether.
He owned at one time four hundred acres here, but
gave his children considerable land. He is engaged
in mixed farming, raising grain and stock, and for
some time he was actively eng.iged in buying and
selling stock. He built his present fine residence
in 1882, at a cost of over $5,000, and has it nicely
furnished. Mr. and Mrs. Van Horn are both Sev-
enth-day Baptists in their religious views, and in
politics he affiliates with the Democratic party.
]\Ir, Van Horn is now one of the most successful
and influential farmers of the county, and after his
long life of usefulness, he and his wife can sit down
and thoroughly enjoy the fruits of their labor.



^^^^^^mtm



j^^ AMUEL H. jr.STICE is a man of intelli-
^^^ gent mind and superior character, exem-
(l^_j)/ plary in his habits, manly and straightfor-
ward ill his dealings, and true in the
various relations that he sustains toward others as
husband, father, neighbor, and steadf:\st in his
friendships. He is self-made in all that tliat term
implies and has showed m.arked aliility ,as a farmer
by transforming his beautiful estate, which is lo-
cated on section 21, Union Township, Auijlaize
County, into a fruitful, highly-cultivated farm,
which is amply supplied with modern improve-
ments and all the appliances and machinery fur
facilitating agricultural lalxirs,

Allen Justice, the father of our subject, w,as a
native of Tazewell County, Va.: his mother, who



542



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



bore the maiden name of Ellen Flummer, was the
daughter of Samuel Flummer, a native of Virginia,
being born near the head of tlie Blue Stone. The
parents came to this State in 18.34, traveling all
the wa3' from their native State to Ohio in a four-
horse wagon. Thej' made their home on section 15
of this township at a time when neighbors were few
and far between, and the roads had not been laid
out. Their farm, which comprised thirty-seven
acres, was soon cleared and placed under cultiva-
tion, and so well did they succeed in their new
home that they added to their original purchase,
and resided upon the tract for about forty-five
years. They became the parents of thirteen chil-
dren, seven of whom are now living, and departed
this life in the years 1878 and 1882, respectively.
One son, George, was a soldier during the late war,
in the Fort\'-tiftli Ohio Infantry, and, being tjiken
prisoner, was confined in Anderson ville Prison,
where he died soon after. The fatherof our subject
was in early life a Democrat in politics, but later
joined the Whig party. lie was prominent in local
affairs and held the ottices of Constable, Road
Supervisor and School Director.

The original of this sketch was born January 18,
1828, in Tazewell County, Va., and was a lad of
six years at the time his parents removed to this
section. AVhen thirteen years of age, he became
afflicted with white swelling in the left knee wliich
crippled him for life. lie aided his father in car-
rj'ing on the home farm until reacliing his major-
it}-, when he entered a tract of land in Jloultou
Township, this county, and traded it in 1854 for
his present farm, which was partiall)' improved at
that time.

In November, 1854, Jlr. .Tustiee and Miss Sara
.T., a daughter of Joseph and Julia Ann (Wagner)
Lusk, were united in marriage. The father was a
native of Virginia, and the mother of Champaign
County, this State. I\Ir. Lusk emigrated to this
county in 1832, and entered a farm on section 22
of this township, on which he erected a log cabin.
He was a son of Charles Lusk, one of the very
earliest settlers in this locality. The parents of
]\Ir3. Justice were married in 1835, and located on
their wild farm, where they resided for sixty yeai-s.
Tliev were both charter members of the Fir.st Meth-



odist Episcopal Church organized in this township,
and reared a family of ten children, all of whom
are living, with but one exception. The father
died April 29, 1892, and the mother, who is still
surviving, has reached her seventy-second year.
In politics, Mr. Lusk was a Whig in early life, and
later joined the ranks of the Republicans.

Mrs. Justice was born May 3, 1837, on section 22,
this township, and, after her marriage with our
subject, located on the farm where they are at
present residing. They have become the parents
of eight children, four of whom are living, viz:
Allan, who married Caroline Swisher; Martha El-
len, who is the wife of Thomas Miller; Joseph U.
G., who married Margaret Beer, and Willi.am M.,
wlio resides at home. Mr. Justice has in his pos-
session one hundred .and forty acres of land, and
has given e.ach of the above-named children fifty-
two .acres. In politics, he is a Republican, and has
served as Road Supervisor, and member of the
School Board.



'-^¥r-



AMUKL SCOTT comes of one of the earliest
pioneer families of Ohio, and is distin-
guislicd as the oldest resident of St. Mary's
in point of settlement, coming here when
a bo\' with his parents sixty-eight years ago, and
there is hut one other person who has lived in
Auglaize County a greater length of time than he.
Mr. Scott is a fine represent.ative of our self-made
men, who, while building their own fortunes, have
materially added to the wealth of the county, of
whose development from the wilderness he has
been an intelligent witness.

Our subject was born in Jackson County, April
29, 1815, and is a son of Judge Thomas .Scott, who
was descended from an old Virginia family, and
w.as born and reared near the Virginia and Maryland
Slate line. He was a farmer and cattle dealer. Liv-
ing on the frontier, he was familiar with ludian war-
fare, and took part in sever.al campaigns .against
the redskins, both on the Virginia and Ohio sides



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



543



of the line. In 1795, be moved .across the border
into Ohio, and was one of the first to settle in
Athens Count}', locating near where the city of
Athens now stands. He onlj' lived there a year,
and then took up bis abode in J.ackson County, a
mile and a half east of the county seat, on land do-
nated by the State for the purpose of manufac-
turing salt, which was begun about that time. He
farmed some, and fed, bought and sold cattle to a
considerable extent, the country about there afford-
ing a very fine range for cattle. In 1823, the
.ludge came with his family to St. Mary's, where a
block-house had been erected for a [jrotectiou
against the Indians, and a few lots of land laid
off. There were not more than a dozen families
living in the neighborhood or in all the country
round about for a distance of several miles. Mr.
Scott had previously purchased two tr.acts^f land
sold b}- the Government in 1820, one on each side
of the St. Mary's River, and one of them, compris-
ing fiftj- acres, is now included within the corpor-
ate limits of the city of St. Mary's. He built a
log house, and at once began to make improve-
ments and also gave his attention to raising stock.
The country w.as yet full of Indians, whose head-
quarters were at Wapakoneta, ten miles east of St.
!M.ary's. In 1824, Mercer County was organized,
St. Mary's becoming a part of it, and in 1848
Auglaize County was formed, tlie city then becom-
ing a part of the new county. Mr. Scott w.as
elected Associate .Judge of Mercer County in
1824, and held court in a log house at .St. Mary's,
lie had been Justice of the Peace in Jackson
County prior to coming here, and he w.as a man
of mucli prominence and a valuable citizen, who
was highh' thought of by all who knew or had
dealings with him. While still in olHce as Asso-
ciate Judge, he died, in 1826, at the age of forty-
nine, and his death was a serious blow to the in-
terests of the county. The mother of our sul)ject,
a Virginian by birth, who bore the maiden name
of Elizabeth Keller, died in 1822, leaving nine
children, of whom but two survive, our subject and
his sister, ilrs. Mary Richmond, of Vinton County.
Samuel Scott obtained his elementary education
in a primitive schoolliousc. which stood on the banks
of St. Mary's River within the i)iesent corpor-



ate limits of the city of the same name. It was con-
structed of round poles, had a puncheon floor and
slab seats, and the light was admitted through
greased paper that was placed over the aperture
where a log had been left out for a window. He
has a distinct remembrance of the wildncss of
the country in the early years of his living here,
when game was very plentiful, and his father, who
was a great hunter, could go out with a rifle and
shoot a deer not far from home almost any time.
Amid pioneer environments our subject grew to
be strong, sturdy and self-reliant, and was capa-
ble of su|)porting himself at an early age. This
was made necessary by the death of his father
when he w.as eleven years of age, although he lived
for two years with relatives, spending a year with an
uncle here, and then going to live with another un-
cle in Athens County for a like length of time. He
then, in 1828, returned to this county, and worked
at whatever he could find to do by the day, thus
keeping himself in food and clothes. He made
his home mostly with his brother-in-law, who kept
a store at St. Mary's. After the treaty with the
Indians in 1832, a new store was started at Wapa-
koneta, and Mr. Scott helped to manage the busi-
ness at that point for a short time. In the fall of
the same year, he went to Athens County to attend
school the following winter session. Returning
to St. Mar\-'s in the fall of 1833, he engaged in
teaming on shares with his brother-in-law, and
thereby earned money enough to buy a team of
his own, with whicli he hauled provisions from
this point to Ft. AVayne, Ind., and even from
Davton to that city the ensuing two seasons. He
next went to Vinton County, and manufactured
millstones.

In 1840, Mr. Scott took a contract to build a
piece of the Miami & Erie Canal, and he con-
structed about three-fourths of a mile of it, includ-
ing the race, besides furnishing considerable tim-
ber and other material for bridges. In 1844, he
built a sawmill on the canal race, which he operated
five years. In 18.30, he turned his attention to
farming on a tract of lami near town. It was
prairie land, and he broke it and put it into a
good state of cultivation, continuing to follow
fanning until the war broke out. when he retired



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



from active business in that line, his sons having
entered the array. He has lived in St. Mary's
ever since, and makes his home at the hotel. He
still retains possession of his farm, which comprises



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 66 of 76)