W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 68 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 68 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


to Champaign County, where he remained two
j-ears. From there he came to Logan County and
has made his home here ever since. He chose for
his life companion ISIiss Sallie R. Loudenback, a
native of Champaign County, Ohio, born Novem-
ber 24, 1849, and their nuptials were celebrated on
the 15th of December, 1870. Two children were
born to this marriage, one of whom died in in-
fancy. The one living is named Minnie. Mrs.
Brubaker's grandparents, Daniel and Mar\- (Pence)
Loudenback, were natives of Virginia and were
(juite wealthy people. The father was a soldier in
the Mexican War, and w.as a very old settler of
Ohio, locating in Champaign County when the
Indians were very numerous. He w.as an excellent
shot and very few Indians could beat him as a
marksman. Mrs. Brubaker, who was a Baptist in
her religious belief, died on the 13th of Jlav,
1874.

The orii,inal of this noti(.'e came to Loiiin
County, Ohio, on the 10th of August, 1871, and
settled in Waahington Townshi]), on land owned
by his father-in-law, wliere he remained until



550



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1876. He then located in Lake View, this county,
and in 1877 bought the land he now owns. This
was nearly all covered with wood and on it was
an old log house and barn. His second marriage
occurred on the 5th of Seiiteniber, 1878, to Bliss
t<arah E. Craig, a native of Logan County, born
on the 17th of January, 1858. The following
children have been born to them: S. IMaud, .Joseph
C, Martha J. and Frederick. Mr. Brubakcr is the
owner of one hundred acres of laud in this county,
and has eighty .acres under a high state of culti-
vation. He is one of the most progressive, thor-
ough-going business men in the county, and the
wide-awake manner in which he has taken advan-
taije of every method and idea tending towards
tlie enhanced value of his property has had con-
siderable to do with his success in life. He has
done considerable ditching on his farm and is en-
gaged in mixed farming, raising gi-ain of all kinds,
and also raises considerable stock. He built his
present large frame house in 1888, and is now sur-
rounded with all the comforts of life. In politics,
he leans toward the Democratic party in national
affairs, but is more or less independent in local
politics. He held the position of Assessor for four
years and discharged the duties of that office in a
very satisfactory way. He was instrumental in
getting the right of way for the Baltimore & Ohio
Railroad through this section of country, although
this road has not been built. During the Civil
"War, our subject enlisted in Company D, Seventh
Cavalry, and served as Orderly Sergeant for two
years. He enlisted when but seventeen years of



R. W. R. IvEVE, one of the most prominent
I)! physicians of Sidney, is well and favor-
ably known all over the county and is
ever to be found at the bedside of the
sick and afflicted. He began pr.aeticing his pro-
fession in Sidney in 1880 and here he has since
continued. Public-spirited and liberal in his



views, his aid to the community in which he lives
has been neither stinted nor infrequent.

Dr. Keve was born in Piqua, !Miami County,
Ohio, on the 14th of February, 1848, and is a son
of W. C. and Pha'Ije (French) Keve, natives re-
spectively of Kew Jersej' and Ohio. The elder
Mr. Keve left his native soil and located in Piqua,
Ohio, at an early date, following the trade of a
wagon and agricultural implement manufacturer
for many years. During the latter part of his
days, he moved on a farm, and there he and his
worthy wife passed the closing scenes of their
lives.

The early education of our subject w.as received
in the High Schools of Piqua and during vacations
he worked with his father and learned his trade.
However, he was not destined to follow that busi-
ness very long, for a great desire took possession
of him to study medicine, and he first began read-
ing with Dr. J. F. Gabriel in the fall of 1876.
Later he entered the Ohio Medical College in Cin-
cinnati and graduated in the Class of '80 with
the degree of M. D. He first located at Anna,
this count}', but six months later came to Sidney.
When he first came to Sidney, he was in partner-
ship with his father-in-law, Dr. H. S. Conklin, and
remained with him until the death of the latter,
since which time he has carried on the practice
alone. He is a close and careful student of medi-
cine, and is not only a physician of acknowledged
ability and prominence, but one of the county's
most genial and generous citizens.

He is a member of the Shelby County Medical
Society, and a member of the American Society,
in which he has held membership since the con-
vention at Cleveland. He has also been a member
of the Board of Health and a member of the Ex-
amining Board of Pensions, at Belief on taine, also
Coroner of the county for six years. Socially,
he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. Dr.
Keve was united in marriage to Miss Mary Conk-
lin, daughter of Dr. Conklin, in 1881. Dr. Conk-
lin was a practitioner here from 1837 or 1838,
for fifty years, and was one of the leading physi-
cians of the county. He first made his trips to
Ins patients on horseb.-xck, afterward in a sulky,
then a buggy, and fin.ally a buggy with springs, as



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



551



improvements were m.iile. To Dr. and Mrs. Keve
were born two children, viz: Henry and Judson
C. Tiie death of Mrs. Keve occurred July 27,
1891. Dr. Keve owns a fine residence in Sidney,
in which he h.os lived since locating here, and he
is one of the public-spirited and worthy citizens of
his locality.






BRAHAM ELDER, M. D. Logan County,
^^Jld\ ^"'■' especially the vicinity of Huntsville,
1' h.os been the field of later to which our
(^^ subject has devoted himself for very

nearly forty j-ears. It would be very strange if
in that length of time so affable and lovable a
man and so excellent a practitioner had not made
for himself hosts of friends, who owe .as much,
perhaps, in their sickness to his cheery smile and
cordi.al, encouraging greeting as to his medicines.
He is the oldest physician in the town and among
the oldest in the count}-. He is, moreover, a na-
tive of this State, having been born at .Somerset,
Perry County, April 20, 1821.

Dr. Elder is a son of Abraham and Jane (.Tolm-
son) Elder, both natives of Pennsylvania, although
the former was of English descent. Abraham
Elder, Sr., came to Ohio in 1815, journeying
hither by wagon, and settled at our subject's birth-
place. He was eng.aged in dealing in horses, find-
ing a market for them in Philadelphia. Twenty-
one j-ears were spent in this business and he became
widely known throughout the country. In 1831,
he made his headquartere at Bellefontaine, and
after a trip to Philadelphia the return was made
with a plentiful stock of goods for a store which he
ran in Bellefontaine. He was elected Associate
Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. He had a
good knowledge of law and was consulted far and
near on legal questions, being generallj' recognized
as a man of large mental calibre. He was a mem-
ber of the Seceder Church, now known as the
United Presbyterian. Politically, ho was a Whig
,and a Republican ami a thorough patriot. Dur-



ing the AVar of 1812, he was engaged in hauling
ammunition and during this employment he had
some narrow escapes

The mother of twelve children, Jane (Johnson)
Elder reared nine of them, having named them as
follows: Culberson, .lane, John, Margaret, James,
Robert, Abr.aham, Maria and Rebecca. After in-
stilling valuable lessons into the fertile minds of
these young people, and feeling that her work was
done, the mother died at the age of sixty-three
years. Our subject attended school a short time
at Somerset and then spent a year at Bellefontaine.
Just at this point bis father moved the family- to a
farm near Huntsville, and thereafter our subject
conned his lessons in the log schoolhouse two miles
distant from his home. It had an open fireplace, slab
benches and gre.ased paper inserted in the openings
that served as windows, and w.as a subscription
school.

After the death of the father, our subject and his
brother Robert together worked the farm for a
few yeai-s; then they purchased sixty -two acres, de-
voting themselves to its improvement for two
j-ears longer. At this point our subject began his
medical studies, having had a desire to do so for a
long time. He began reading under Dr. Mam.
Later, he went to Hardin County, and started a
dry-goods store, continuing at that business for
three years and reading medicine at the same time.
Railroads were then sending out their nervous
fingers in every direction, and one coming near the
residence of our subject, he, foreseeing that it
would greatly enh.ance the value of property-, pur-
chased some land and then went into partnership
with Dr. McAndless, of Bellefont.aine, in the drug
business. The senior member of the firm was our
subject's medical tutor and when, at the end of an
association of three years, the enterprise was sold
out, Dr. Elder entered the Starling Medical Col-
lege at Columbus, in 1851. He is also a graduate
of the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Sur-
gery. After a time spent in Hardin County, he
came here, in 1854, and has since devoted his atten-
tion to this locality.

The original of this sketch found his better half
in Mary A. Wallace, a native ot Pennsylvania,
who c-inio to Ohio with her iiarents when cuily a



552



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



little girl. She has been his faithful companion in
life ever since, carefully rearing the children
that have been spared them. Their names are
Samantlia E., Arra A., Can-ie, Wallace S. and
Vada Y. In his profession, Dr. Elder makes a
specialty of the diseases of women and children,
including chronic diseases. He has had some re-
markable cases and has been execedingl3' success-
ful. Since his location here, thirty doctors have
come and gone, and where others have failed he
h.os made a brilliant success.

The Elder home is a beautiful place comprising
five acres of land and a fine frame residence which
was erected at a cost of $3,500. He has a farm
of fifty-twoacres east of town and another of sixty
acres north of town. He frees himself of the act-
ual care of the place by renting it, and at the same
time gratifies his taste for live stock by keeping fine
animals.

Dr. and Mrs. Elder are members of the United
Presbyterian Church. Our subject is a Republican
in his political convictions and has held some im-
portant offices. He h.as been on the School Board
of this local it}- for thirteen years. . Most of this
time he was President.



-^mi



w.^im



||«N^



\T|UDGE THOMAS MILTENBERGER. The
I subject of this sketch, wiio is one of the
prominent residents of Logan County, was
born April 24, 1820, in Rockingham County,
Va. He is the son of John and Eva E. (BIoss)
Miltcnberger, natives of Virginia. The paternal
grandfather, John Bliltenberger, Sr., was a drum-
mer boy during the Revolutionar}- "War in Wash-
ington's army and when that famous general led
his army across the Delaware River, the grand-
father plugged up the holes in his drum, and on
it he paddled himself across. He was a farmer
by occupation and spent his laat days in his native
State. The ancestors of our subject, on both sides,
are from Germany, in which country they were re-
spected and well-to-do residents.



The direct progenitors of our subject came to
Warren County this State in the spring of 1832,
where tlie father, who w.os a soldier in the War of
1812, departed this life in 1845. He reared a
family of six sons and three daughters, namely:
William, Elias, Adam, Layton,Thomas, John, Mar-
garet, Caroline and Matilda.

He of whom we write was twelve yeare of age
when his parents removed to this State, and here
it was that he received his education in the primi-
tive schoolhouse, with slab seats, greased paper for
window lights, puncheon floor, etc. He remained
upon the farm until reaching his seventeenth year,
when, on account of ill health, he abandoned farm
work and attended the High School at Springbor-
ough, this State. After completing his education,
Mr. Miltcnberger was engaged in teaching school
several years, in which occupation he was very suc-
cessful.

The lad\' who became the wife of our subject in
1842 was Miss Mary J. Brown, of Franklin, War-
ren County. The young couple located in the
above-named place, in the vicinity of which thej'
remained for eleven yeai-s, when Mr. Miltcnberger
came to Bellefontaine and engaged as photographer,
being the third man to take daguerreotj-pes in the
State. In 1860, he was elected County Auditor
of Logan County, of which office he was the incum-
bent for nine years. The following year he was
elected to the Legislature and during his one term
in the House served on man}' important commit-
tees and performed the duties of the oflice with
entire satisfaction to his constituents.

In 1874, the original of this sketch erected the
Miltcnberger House in this city,wliicli he conducted
as "mine host" in first-class st3-le for five years.
In 1874, he was elected Probate Judge and on the
expiration of his term was re-elected to the same
position. He was for six years Director of the
County Infirmary and for about the same length
of time was a School Officer.

Judge Miltenberger has been prominently iden-
tified with politics all his life, and no man in the
county has more friends than he. He is now en-
gaged in retailing fine cigars and tobacco, keeping
constantly on hand on his shelves and in his show
cases the best articles of that kind to be had in the



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPfflCAL RECORD.



553



city. In social matters, he is a member of the
Masonic fraternity, in which order he occupies a
high position. He takes a just pride in the progress
of his county and has ever borne his part in the
.promotion of those enterprises calculated to ad-
vance its general welfare.

To Mr. and Mre. Miltenberger have been born
five children, one of whom is living. The wife and
mother died in 1882 and in 1884 the Judge
was married to Mrs. Fannie A. Earick, of Sandusky,
this State. They are both regular attend.ints of
the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which body
they hold membership and are liberal contributors
toward its support. During the late war, James
A., the eldest son of our subject, enlisted in Com-
pany A, Thirteenth United Sta.tes Army, and died
near Vick&burgh, Miss., while in the service. His
remains now lie in the Bellefont.aine cemetery.
Tlie Judge is and always has been a st-alwart Re-
publican.



j^ MOS CHERRY. It cannot bo expected in
'^JLJi a work of this kind, where but brief bio-
m H) graphical sketches of prominent citizens
^/ of the county- are presented, that a length}-

laudatory article should be written of each one,
and j-et at times there are met with some who
have been so intimately and closely identified
with the county, and whose names are so familiar
to all, that it is only just to dwell upon what they
have done and the inlluence of their career on
otiiers, not merely as einptj- words of pr.aise, but
the plain statement of still plainer truths. Amos
Cherry, who is one of the largest land-owners in
Washington Township, and one of its most exten-
sive farmers, was born near .Springfield, Oliio, on
the 20th of September, 1820.

His parents were Abraham and Margaret (McMan-
away) Cherry. The father was a native of Pennsyl-
vania and the mother was of Irish extraction, and
in the State of Ohio thev were married. Our sub-



ject's paternal grandfather w.as a native of Eng-
land, and when still a single man came to America.
He was married in Pennsylvania, and tilled the soil
until his death. The maternal grandparents were
natives of Ireland, in which country they were
married, and at an early date came to America,
settling in Pennsylvania. After tlie birth of one
child, or in 1804, our subject's father came to
Ohio, making the journev on horseback, and
settled near Columbus, Ohio, where he bought a
tract of land from the Government. Mr. Cherry
built a round-log cabin, with mud and stick
chimney, and although he and his thrifty and in-
dustrious wife had little else to help themselves
with except their own strong hands and sturdy in-
dependence, thej- began gradually to accumulate a
comfortable competency. They resided there for
four yeai-s, after which they sold out and bought
Government land in sight of the present city of
Springfield, Ohio, where thej- continued their fru-
gal existence until 1833. The wood abounded in
wild anim.als, deer, wolves, etc., and fresh meat was
never lacking on the table. After residing on that
farm and improving it in many wa3-s, Mr. and
Jlrs. Cherry sold out and once more settled in the
woods, this time in Washington Township, Logan
County, Ohio, where the father's death occurred
in 1852. He w.as a Presbyterian in religion, and a
Democrat in politics at first, but later he trans-
ferred his allegiance to the Whig party. Of the
seven children born to this much-esteemed couple,
five grew to mature years, and were named as fol-
lows: Christina, Charles, Amos, Andrew J. and
Abraliam. The mother, who was a devout member
of the Presbyterian Church, died when fifty-five
3-cars of age.

Our subject was thirteen years of age when he
came to this county, and he remembers that his
parents made the journey wilh te.am and wasron.
They were three days in getting from wliere the
County Infirmary now stands to where they fin-
ally located, and had to cut trees and build
bridges. A rather limited education was received
by our subject in the log schoolhouse, with large
firepl.ace in one end of the room, split-log benches
and other rude inventions of those d.ays. and there
was greased paper for window liglits until aliout



554



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



three years before he left the school room. He
had to go oil horeeback to West Liberty for flour,
that being their nearest mill, and all their wheat
was hauled to Sandusk}-, a distance of about
one hundred and fifty miles. For this they received
forty cents per bushel. They brought back leather
and salt, and the journey took them generally four-
teen days. Amos Cherry remained at home with
his father until the hitter's deatli, and then he
bought out the other heirs. He remembers the
country when it was .almost an entire wilderness,
and when deer and otlicr wild anim.als were quite
numerous. He h.as killed many deer but never
cared very much for hunting.

The original of this notice selected Miss Eliza-
beth Smith as his companion in life, and their
nuptials were celebrated in 1842. She was born
in Clarke County, Ohio, and remained with her
parents until about 1830. To Mr. and Sirs. Cherry
have been born seven children: Abbie J., now
Mrs. Silas Odel, who resides in St. Mary's, Ohio;
Charlotta, now Jlrs. William Smead, ol California;
Zachariah T., of Stokes Township, this county,
where he is engaged in farming; Abram M.,
operating a s.awmill in Bellefontaine; Olive, at
home; Ada, now Mrs. .James Duff, of Stokes Town-
ship; and Ulysses S. G., now a lawyer at Sioux
Falls, D.ak. The latter graduated in the Washington
City Law School, is now at the head of the profes-
sion in Dakota, and is doing remarkably well.

Mr. Cherry is the owner of six hundred and
forty acres of land, nearly all improved, and has
fifty .acres covered with limber, the finest in the
county. He carries on gener.al farming, has been
very successful, and nearly all liis property has
been made by the lionest sweat of his brow. He
paid ^5,000 bail money besides. He has an excel-
lent fr.ame house, and a large frame barn erected
in 1887. Mr. Cherry not only enjoys the distinc-
tion of being one of the pioneers of Logan
County, but he is one of tlie highly esteemed and
honored citizens. He is a Republican in politics,
and induced his father to leave the Democratic
party and join the Whigs. When younger, our
subject was a great reader, and was well posted on
all the current topics of the day. During the war,
he enlisted in tlie one hundred day service. May



7, 1864, in Company C, One Hundred and Thirty-
second Regiment, and was sent to Washington
City, where he remained three weeks at Arlington
Heights and White House Landing. From there
he went to Bermuda Hundred, where he was on
garrison duty for a sliort time, and went from
there to Norfolk. He was mustered out on the
10th of September, 1864, and came home. He .at-
tributes his success to hard work and good man-
agement. Mrs. Cheiiy is a worthy member of the
Methodist Protestant Churcli, and has also exper-
ienced the hardships and adventures of pioneer
life.






I ■{•4"{"i-'^!®'-i- ■!••{•+?



ETKR M. YOUNG a successful farmer re-
jJi siding in Jackson Township, Shelby
Count}', is a member of a pioneer family
of Ohio, who were alike instrumental in
developing the vast agricultural resources of tlie
State, and defending the countiy in times of war
from the depredations of enemies. His paternal
gr.andfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary
War and a cannoneer at the battle of Bunker Hill.
His father, Philip Young, who w.as born in Berke-
ley County, Ya., October 16, 1787, was also a brave
soldier in his countr3''s defense, and served in the
War of 1812.

While a resident of Pickaw.ay County, Oliio,
Philip Young w.as married to Miss Kezi.ah Curtis,
who w.'is born in Berkeley Count}-, A'a., April 11,
1808, the daughter of David Curtis, likewise a na-
tive of the Old Dominion. By a former marriage,
Mr. Young w.as the fatlier of eleven children, four
of whom are now living. In 1830, he removed to
Shelby County, and settled on an unimproved
farm in Franklin Township. Amid dense forest
growths, and at the head of Plum Creek, near a
large Indian camp, he built a log cabin for the
home of his family.

For thirty years Philip Young resided on that
place, which through his efforts was brouglit to a
high state of cultivation, .and in the meantime he



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



was an interested witness of the development of
the sui rounding country from a wilderness prim-
evul, the home of the savau;e beast and the scarcely
less savage Indian. At a venerable age, he p;issed
to his final rest in 1850. His wife, who w.is con-
siderably his junior, survived him many j-ears, her
death occurring February 16. 1891, at the age of
eighty-twoyears and ten months. The^' inculcated
principles of religion in their children, thus insur-
ing success, spiritually and financially, to their
posterity.

Having come to Ohio in her fifteenth year, the
motlier of our subject resided in this vicinity for
more than sixty years and her life was "an open
book, known and read of all." Slie scorned de-
ception and taught her children to be virtuous and
honest. Through her long and eventful life she
always had a distressing dread of death, shrinking
in terror from the gloom of the grave, and it was
the earnest prayer of those who loved her that she
might be spared nntil that fear was removed.
Their wish was granted, for the last few months
were perhaps the happiest of her life. She seemed
to lose sight of earth, while only heaven remained.
Her visions were all bright, and at times she was
almost inexpressibly happy. Her countenance
would beam with a light not of earth as she would
joyously exclaim "Oh, glory, glory Hallelujah 1
Bless, bless the Lord." But life's web is woven;
there will be no more weary

"Weaving, weaving, weaving, weaving,

Slow tlfe shuttle worked its will;
Throbbing, throbbing, throbbing, throbbing,

Faintly beating, and is still.
Happy now the patient weaver.

Who the M.ister's plan hath wrought,
Tracing carefully the pattern,

Marring nor neglecting aught.
For the web the M.oster turnelli,

And before bis dazzled eyes.
Shining in its wondrous beauty,

All the thought completed lies;
And the weaver, joj'ful, learneth

That the wrong side was her own,
Till the beating, throbbing shuttle

All its faithful work had done."

L'nto Philip and Keziali Young were born eleven
children, six of whom survive. One son, Silas D.,



enlisted during the Civil War as a member of the
Twentieth Ohio Infantry and served faithfully
until he was injured by being shot through the
nose. In his religious connection, Mr. Young, Sr.,
was a prominent member of the .Methodist Episco-
pal Church, in which he served as Trustee, Steward
and Class-leader. In his political belief, he was a



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 68 of 76)