W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 71 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 71 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and Emma. In polities, the father of our subject
was very active, and after the organization of the
Republican partj-, joined its ranks. He was elected
to the office of Justice of the Peace, and per-
formed its duties acceptably for seven yeai-s. He
was also Township Trustee and Supervisor, and
while a member of the State militia was Colonel
of his regiment. lie was a prominent factor in
developing the resources of this portion of the
State, and has always been identified with tlie
farming interests of this county.

E. H. Rogers was born July 21, 1822, in Rich-
land County, this State, and was a lad of eleven
years when he accompanied his parents to this
county. His advantages for obtaining an educa-
tion were very limited, and he remained with his
parents until reaching his majority, affording his
father valualile assistance in carrvina on tlie farm.



Previous to locating upon his present estate, he
worked for some time at the carpenter's trade, and
taught school for three terms.

Miss Nancy Jane^ daugliter of John and Mary Ann
(Jones) Morris, became the wife of our subject in
1845. She was born September 26, 1823, in Vir-
ginia, and departed this life Januar}' 6, 1850. Mr.
and Mrs. Rogers had born to them three children,
only one of whom is living, Mar}- F., who was
born September 15, 1847, and is the wife of Dr.
Thomas Emerson. December 24, 1851, our subject
was married to Maria Baker, who bore him two cliil-
dren, both now deceased. She died December 30,
1854. January 2,1859, our subject chose as his
thud wife Miss Luc}' V. Morris, daughter of John
and Mary Ann (Clarkson) Morris, natives of Vir-
ginia, the fatlier's birth occurring in 1800 and tlie
mother's in 1809. Mr. and Mrs. Morris came to this
State in 1833, and after residing a twelvementli
in Sidney, located on section 30, Union Township,
when tills portion of the county was entirely un-
improved. With the aid of liis son John he cleared
up his estate, upon which he was residing at tlie
time of his decease in 1884; his good wife, who is
still living on the old homestead, li.as attained to
the advanced age of eighty-three years. They
were consistent members of the Christian Church,
and were in favor of all things which tended to
the moral and social elevation of their township.
In politics, jNIr. INIorris was a Republican, and
served his community in the offices of Justice of
the Peace, Township Trustee and Count}' Com-
missioner. By a previous marriage, he had be-
come the father of three children, only one of
whom is now living, Betsey Ann. By his second
union fourteen children were bom, eight of whom
still survive. Six of his sons served in the Union
army during the Civil War, William being killed
in the battle of Kenesaw Mountain.

Mrs. Rogers was born July 2, 1836, on the old
homestead in this township, and was given a fair
educi'tion in the common schools of the district.
Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have a pleasant home, and
during his many years' residence here the former
has made manj' iniprovenients, including the
erection of a good set of frame buildings. They
are devoted mombeis of tlio Christian Church, and



568



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



have always given liberally and cheerfully of their
means toward the support of the same. In politics,
he is a Republican. He has never sought public
office, but has been called up,on by his fellow-
townsmen to occupy the positions of School Di-
rector and Supervisor.



i^+^[



\i^RUCE S. HUNT, :\I. n. The professions
ll?^ are represented in Tawawa.Shclb}' County,
rf?^!)!' as in other towns in the State, by men of
^s~-^ ripe intelligence, practical skill and good
character. One of this number is Dr. Hunt, who
combines in his person the sturdy traits, mental
ability and vigor of body derived from New
England ancestors. Until within the Last few years,
he has been engaged in the active practice of his
profession, and b^' his success in his chosen work
has won an excellent reputation as a citizen. He
now devotes his entire time and attention to the
manufacture of the " Domestic Corn Cure," for
which he has a wide market throughout the
United States.

Our subject is a son of Heman R. Hunt, a na-
tive of Butler County, this State, where he was
born September 2G, 1819. He was a farmer by oc-
cupation, and a son of Ira Hunt, a native of Ver-
mont and a minister of the Christian Church. The
family is an old and respected one and occupies a
prominent pl.ace in the annals of New England. Our
subject's mother bore the name of Ann Conover,
and was a daughter of Timothy Conover, of New
Jersey. Her father came to this State in an early
day, and located in Butler Count}-, where he was
identified with its most influential citizens.

Mrs. Hunt was boin November 13, 1819, in But-
ler County, Ohio, and was married in Shelby
County, soon after which she and her husband lo-
cated on section 6, Green Township. The Cono-
ver familj- came to this township in 183.5 and
made their home on section 1, where they resided
until near their demise.

The father of our subject was a Republican in



politics. In early life he voted with the Whig
party, casting his first ballot for W. II. Harrison
in 1840. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt are the parents of
two children, both of whom are living: Preston
R., who married Rosauna Search, and resides in
Sidney; and our subject, who w.is born October
11, 1850.

The original of this sketch conducted his pri-
mary studies in the common schools of his district,
and the knowledge gained therein was later sup-
plemented b}- an attendance at the schools at Sid-
ney. Desirous of following the medical profes-
sion, he read for sometime under Dr. Bebee, of the
above-named pl.ace, and subsequently entered the
Pulte Medical College at Cincinnati, from which
institution he was graduated January 17th, with
the Class of '77. In the spring of that year, he be-
gan the practice of his profession at De Graff,
Ohio, and by his widely-extended knowledge of
the principles of therapeutics, and skill in their use
and practical application, has established a repu-
tation for success in his chosen field of labor.

Two years ago. Dr. Hunt began the manufacture
of the " Domestic Com Cure," of which he is the
inventor. He handles this remedy exclusively
himself, having his headquarters at Tawawa. The
medicine cures on the principle of penetration, and
Dr. Hunt guarantees it to do as represented or the
money will be refunded to the purchaser.

May 2, 1877, Miss Josie, daughter of Charles C.
and Barbara (Speece) "VVoolley, and our subject
were united in marriage. Her parents are natives
respectively of Champaig-n and Butler Counties, •
this State, and after their marriage located in the
first-named count}', where the father was a promi-
nent farmer. A proof of the respect in which he
is held lies in the fact that he has held the office of
Township Trustee for twenty-one consecutive
years. He is now living at the advanced age of
eighty-one years, having been bereft of the com-
panionship of his good wife, who died September
30, 1888. Mr. and Mrs. WooUej- were the parents
of five children, only two of whom are now liv-
ing: William, and Mrs. Hunt, who was born Feb-
ruary 20, 1853, in Champaign County.

To the Doctor and ili-s. Hunt have been granted
a famil}' of three children: Ora C, born Septem-



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPfflCAL RECORD.



569



ber 21,1878; C. Hollace, August 25, 1881; and
Edith Games, July 1, 1892. The parents are de-
voted and conscientious members of the Christian
Churcli, and endeavor to mold their lives in ac-
cordance with the Golden Rule. The Doctor is a
member of the Homeopathic Ohio State Medical
Society, and is also connected with tlie Hahne-
mann Society of the Pulte Jledical College. In
politics, he has always been identified with the Re-
publican part}-. He has no reason to be dissatis-
fied with his business, and throughout his entire
career has shown himself to be alive to the duties
and responsibilit}' of citizenship, and is ranked
among the most prominent residents of Shelby
County.



,|^^ UIX LEAPLEY. The name of Leapley has
%^/' I'lng been prominently identified with the
"^^^ pioneers of Shelby County, our subject's
grandpart-nts being among its earliest settlers.
Since the subject of this sketch first learned his
trade, he has been engaged in the building up
of Sidney. The work turned out by this gentle-
man is up to the highest standard in the material
used and tlie qualitj', finish and perfection of de-
tails, as well as in scientific principles of construc-
tion. Mr. Leapley has been a resident of this
county since his birth, Maj'21, 1861, and is one of
the prominent young business men of Sidney'. His
parents, Otlio and Marj- (Stone) Leapley, reside
on a farm about two and a half miles northe.ast of
Sidney, the father engaging successfully in tilling
the soil.

Our subject supplemented an education received
in the country schools by attending the High
Schools of Sidney and at an early age displayed
unusual business ability. When about nineteen
years of age, he began learning his trade and has
worked at this ever since. He first began working
in Sidney in 1886, as a joumeyman for Samuel
Stevenson, and continued with him for three years.
After this, he began contracting, and built the



agricultural hall on the fair gi'ound, besides nu-
merous other buildings. Later, he went to Nebraska
and was engaged in the southern and western part
of that State in building elevatore from 'Wymore
west to JlcCook. Returning to Sidney, he em-
barked in business in this citv and erected a fine
two-story frame house at No. 1044 Jlaplc Street,
in which he has been residing for the p.ast five
yeai-s. He is a first-class workman, and brings
vast practical experience to bear, coupled with
sound judgment and ample resources, while the
prices asked are the lowest consistent with the best
workmanship.

On the 4th of December, 1887, he selected his
wife in the pei-son of Miss Eva Randolph, a native
of Shelby County, Ohio, and their home is a pleas-
ant and most attractive place Mr. Leapley gives
his whole attention to his business and has the
confidence and esteem of all classes of the com-
munity. Mr. Leapley is one of the most promi-
nent citizens, ever taking a deep interest in the
advancement of the cit}- and in the progress of the
wliole country. He is a self-made m.an and is
thoroughly conversant with the fact that '"tliere is
no road to excellence without great Labor."









,^\ AJ. CHARLES HIPP, Postmaster at St.
Mary's, and a highly respected citizen of
Auglaize County, is a veteran of two wars.
and his fine military record reflects credit
on the soldiery of his adopted country, for which
he did and suffered much when rebellion threat-
ened disunion and dishonor.

Our subject was born in Prassia, January 20,
1830, a son of Frederick C. Hipp, who w.as for sev-
eral years an officer in the ftussian army, and
took part in the war waged against Napoleon,
which resulted in the defeat of the great French
commander at Waterloo. After leaving the army,
Frederick C. Hipp became a merchant, and in 1844
emigrated with his familv to America. He first



570



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPinCAL RECORD.



settled near Parkersbiirgb, Va., where he had
bought land before leaving the Old Country,
lie only lived there a short time, and then re-
moved witli his family to Blarietta, Ohio. He
subsequently c.nrae to St. Marj-'s, and here his
earthly pilgrim.ago was brought to a close in 1872,
at a ripe old age. Ilis wife died in 1880, at a ven-
erable age. Three of their eight children are still
living.

He of whom this sketch is written is the fourth
child of the family. His early education was con-
ducted in the excellent scliools of Neuwied in his
native Prvissia, wliicli he attended until he was
fourteen years old, and after coming to this coun-
try he had tlie advantage of a year's schooling at
Prof. Maxwell's academy at Marietta. After that,
he was a clerk in a grocery store for a j'car, and
then in 1846 he went to Cincinnati witli a view
to learning the cigar-maker's trade. He abandoned
that in 1847, to enlist at the second call for troops
to serve in the Mexican War, joining Company- I,
Fourth Ohio Infantry, which was commanded by
Col. C. H. Brough, brother of the late Governor
of the State. He was in the battles at National
Bridge, Huamantla, Pueblo, Tlascala, and in other
engagements, serving with his regiment until the
war closed, and he was discharged in June, 1848.

On his return from Mexico, Maj. Hipp resumed
his former employment as clerk, and was engaged
in a grocery at Hamilton the ensuing three years.
In 1852, he went to Central America to join his
brother William, who had opened a plantation on
the San Juan River at the mouth of tlieSevapiqui,
then, and still, known as Ilipp's Point, and where
Walker's filibusters afterward had quite a fight
with forces from Costa Rica, defeating them. La-
ter, he went to Castillo Rapids, where he engaged
in the hotel busniess two years. From there he
went to San Juan Del Sur, on the Pacific Coast,
and kept an hotel there for over a year, entertain-
ing travelers on their way across the Istlimus to or
from the gold fields of California. During his
residence at that point, lie was elected Captain of
a company of Home Guards, composed of foreign-
ers living in the town, and organized for their own
protection. A revolution had broken out in Ni-
caragua, and the forces occupying Castillo sided



with the revolutionists. They were surprised by
the Government troops, and all but a few, who es-
caped, were killed. Mr. Hipp also acted as Vice-
Consul for the United States in San Juan Del Sur,
and in 1855 found himself once more in Ohio. He
purchased a stave mill at St. Mary's, which he re-
fitted with machinery for the manufacture of floor-
ing and all kinds of finished wood material.

When the war broke out, our subject's martial
spirit, which had descended to him from his fore-
fathers and had before found expression on Mexi-
can battlefields, was again aroused, and as soon as
he could settle his affairs, he, in one week, raised a
company of soldiers to help defend the Stars and
Stripes. He entered the service August 20, 1861;
was commissioned Captain of Company C, Thirty-
seventh Ohio Infantr}', September 7; Major, June 5,
1862; remustered in the same rank June 14, 1865;
mu;tered out August 7, the same year, at Little
Rock, Ark., and honorably* discharged with his
regiment August 21, at Cleveland, Ohio. Among
the numerous engagements in which he fought
were those at Cotton Hill, Logan C. H., Princetcn
and Charleston, V.a., and participated in the as-
sault on Vieksburg, having command of the regi-
ment during the siege. The regiment then marched
to Chattanooga, and crossed the Tennessee River
on pontoon bridges to Missionary Ridge, where the
assault took place November 25, 1863. Again
moving Southward on tlie Atlanta Campaign, took
part in the battles of Resaca, Dall.as, New Hope
Church, Kenesaw Mountain and Ezra Church,
where he was twice wounded, and had the left
arm amputated.

After the war Maj. Hipp returned to St. Mary's
and for a few years devoted himself to mercantile
pursuits. In 1866, he was apixjinted Postmaster,
but he w.is removed five months later by President
Johnson. He w.as re-appointed to the same posi-
tion by President Grant in 1869, and for sixteen
years served most efficiently. During Cleveland's
administration, he took a vacation, but was again
made Postmaster by President Harrison in 1889,
and is still the incumbent of tlie office. He gives
complete satisfaction to the people of St. Mary's,
who regard him as the right man in the right
place, as he is thoroughly conversant with the



POKTRAIT AND 15I0GRAPHICAL RECORD.



571



routine of the office, manages its affairs in a busi-
ness-like way, and is always urbane and courteous
in his intercoui-so with all with whom he comes in
contact. In him tlie Republican party has one of
its most st.anch adherents, and he is an important
figure in local politics, and has been a delegate to
county, district and .State conventions. He was
Mayor of St. Mary's two years, and he gave the
city a good administration, making permanent im-
provements by establishing grades for streets and
the natural g.as plant for the town. He is promi-
nent, socially, as a member of Kishler Post No. 83,
G. A. R., of the Loyal Legion, and of the Army of
the Tennessee. The M.ajor was married in 1853
to Miss Mary Miller, a resident of Hamilton, and
they have establislied a very pleasant home, over
which his wife presides with tact and ability.



i>^^<m=



0- J. TAYLOR, one of the best known and
I most successful business men of Sidne}', has
/ been engaged in business in this city since
1854, and he is not only popular in business, but
in social circles as well. His grandfather, Samuel
Taylor, w.is a native A'irginian, but at an early
date moved to Champaign County, Ohio, near
West Liberty, and entered and bought in this
county a large tr.act of Government land, two
miles west of Port Jefferson. He cleared a small
portion, erected a log cabin on this, and tlicre the
family remained for many years. Mr. Taylor, .Sr.,
subsequently sold this farm and moved to Sid-
ney, where his death occurred.

Jason Taylor, father of our subject, was born
in Virginia, near Harper's Ferry, in 1801, and re-
mained there until 1824, when lie moved with hia
parents to the Buckeye State and settled in Sid-
ney, when there were but seven families there. He
assisted his father in clearing and developing the
farm, but afterward located in Sidney and was
engaged in merchandising for some time, thus oli-
taining a practical knowledge of business at an
earl}- age. Later, he embarked in the dry-goods



business in New York, and followed this for seven-
teen years in that city. Returning to Ohio, he
settled in Wapakoneta, engaged in banking at
that place, and there his death occurred in 1867.
He married Miss Sarah SkiUen, a native of Penn-
S3ivania, and the daughter of Judge Skillcn, of
this State. Her death occurred alx)ut seventeen
yeai-s before that of her husband. To this union
were born nine children, four of whom are liv-
ing, as follows: Jane, Mrs. Jessup, of La Porte,
Lid.; O. J., of Sidney; William H., of Mansfield;
and Aurelia, wife of Col. B. F. Crawford, of Mans-
field. The parents of these children held mem-
bership for many yeai-s in the Presbyterian Churcli,
and the father was an old-line Whig in politics.
He was a great military man, was general of the
militia, and took great pride in its organization.

0. J. Ta^-lor was born in Sidney, Ohio, on the 2Gth
of September, 1830,and here he received agood edu-
cation. After leaving the schoolroom, he followed
civil engineering for nearly four years, accumulat-
ing in the meantime about $1,000. Witli this he em-
barked in the hardware trade on his own responsi-
bility and first opened a store on Poplar Street,
afterward following business in the room that the
German American Bank now occupies. From
there he went into the Main Avenue Building in
1874, a fine block, 50x122 feet, at the corner of
Poplar Street and Main Avenue, one of the best lo-
cations in the city, and occupied the corner store,
three stories high, the second story being used for
oflices and the third Uoor for the Masons' lodge.
This store he has leased for twenty yeare. He has
erected a fine two-stoiy brick residence at No. 611
Main Avenue, .and it is surrounded with all the
comforts of life.

Our subject selected his companion in life in
the person of Miss Sarah Harrison, of .Sidney,
and the fruits of this union have been six chil-
dren, of whom the following are now living:
Harry J.; Jlrs. Mabel Lyon; Jennie A., wife of
J. E. Cummins, of the Citizens' Bank, at Sidney;
Willis B., of Chicago; O. E., who is now at-
tending school at Terre Haute, Ind., and Charles
J. The mother of these children died suddenly
in July, 1887, after having retired. She was a
member of the Presbvterian Church, in which our



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPinCAL RECORD.



subject also holds membership, and he has been
Treasurer in the same for twentj'-one years, having
handled over §80,000 of the church funds. His sec-
ond marriage was to Miss Helen C. Search, of
Marion, Ohio, and a member of the Sharpless
family, of Pennsylvania, a very prominent one.



^^Ia:'^@l^i^^



yEV. CHARLE.S FARNSWORTH, 'n-ho for
many years administered to the spiritual
wants of his fellow-men in various Method-
^^ ist Episcopal Churches of this county, is
now the efficient Superintendent of the Logan
County Children's Home, which is pleasantly sit-
uated one mile west from Bcllefonlaine, on a com-
manding eminence on the Sidnej' Pike, and in a
healthy locality. The building is a substantial
brick structure, one hundred and thirty feet
long, sixt}'-sis feet wide, and three stories
above basement in height, and was built in
1886-87-88, at a cost of $27,000, in round
numbers. The farm contains sixt^'-eight acres
of good arable land, has two never-failing
wells of water, one of which is mineral, with two
orchards and many shade trees. The land lies in
an almost perfect squ.are, with excellent roads on
the north and cast. The object of the institution
is to furnish an asylum for the dependent children
of the county under sixteen j-ears of age, where
they can receive proper care .and culture until suit-
able homes can be prepared for them, or until they
become capable of providing for themselves. Mr.
Farnsworth is now serving his second j'ear as
Superintendent of this institution, and is in every
w.a\- qualified for the position, which he fills with
credit to himself, and to the entire satisfaction of
the people.

Rev. Charles Farnsworth is a native of the Green
Mountain State, born in Fianklin County on the
24th of October, 1834, and is a son of Israel W.
Farnsworth, who was also a native of Vermont,
born in 1801, and of Scotch extraction. Tlie
father of our subject followed tlio pursuit of



fanning in his native State, and died there when
eighty-three years of age. He was .an ardent mem-
ber of the Congregational Church from boyhood,
and took an active interest in its growth and pro-
gress. He w.as a Republican in politics and a
strong Aixilitionist before and after the war. He
married Miss Abigail Rawson, a native of Ver-
mont, and four children were born to them, all
sons, viz: Jerome, Oscar (deceased), Oscar and our
subject. The mother died when seventy-one
years of age. She had been a life-long member of
the Congregational Church, and was very active
in the cause of Christianity.

The original of this notice passed his boyhood
and youth on the farm, received his education in
the district and select schools, and at an early
age evinced a strong desire and liking for tools.
When twenty years of age, he began for himself
by learning the carpenter's trade, and this he fol-
lowed for six years, together with some farm labor,
beginning in the meantime, however, his stud-
ies for the ministry by borrowing and reading
books on theology from the libraries of neighbor-
ing minister.s. He continued working at his trade,
studying and preaching some locally for six years,
when became to Ohio and joined the Central Ohio
Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
accepting an appointment at Versailles, Darke
County, Ohio, where he labored earnestly for three
yeare, the limit then allowed a minister to remain
on one charge. After this, he preached for two
j-ears at EHda, Allen County, Ohio; then three
years at Zanesfield, Logan C'ount\-, Ohio; three
j'ears at Huntsville, this county; three years at Na-
poleon. Henry County, Ohio; three years at West
Liberty, this county; and then five years on the
Bellefoutaine Circuit, the General Conference hav-
ing changed the limit from three to five years and
one and one-h.alf years. On the 1st of April,
1891, he was appointed Superintendent of the
Logan County Children's Home, to succeed Joseph
R. Smith. In order to effectively retain him in
Conference, he was appointed Chaplain of the
Children's Home by the Bishop. There are about
fifty-three children in the Home at present, thirty-
eight of whom are from this county, thirteen from
Cliampaiirn. and several from other counties.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



573



Those from outside of Logan County are boarded
and their expenses paid by the counties to which
tliey beh^ng. i\Ir. Farnsworth takes a great inter-



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 71 of 76)