W. O. Absher.

Portrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States online

. (page 73 of 76)
Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 73 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and again from November, 1891, until the present
time. This company was organized for the manu-
facture of light vehicles and gives employment to



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



579



from twenty to thirty-five skilled workmen. The
firm is now known as Fristoe, Stew.irt &. Co., our
subject being the company, the otliers his sons-in-
law.

The marriage of the original of this sketch took
pl.ace April 23, 1861, at which time lie was united
to Miss Mary Woodard, a native of Clarke County
but reared in Champaign, and a daughter of James
Woodard, a merchant in the last-named place.
Five children have been born to Mr. and Mre. Hall,
one of whom, a boy, died when two yeare old.
UrettaE. is the wife of W. II. Fnstoe; Alice J. is the
wife of ly. A. Stewart; Siirjih Ellla married C. W.
Kiser, of Piqua, this State, and a de.aler in agricul-
tural implements; Anna F. is still at home. Mr.
Hall owns a fine property and an attractive and
commodious residence. No man is better known
in this part of the State than the original of this
sketch. He has traveled time and again through
these counties and is as well liked as he is respected.



1843



R. FRANK M. GALER, who is a prominent
physician, and the oldest of De Graff,
Logan Countv, Ohio, w.as born in Licking
County of that State on the 25th of July,
His paternal great-grandfather was a native
of Germany, and when a 3oung man came to Amer-
ica to escape the conscript law. He first settled in
the city of Brotherly Love, where he soon after
met and married his wife, who was also a native
German. He followed farming in Pennsylvania un-
til about 1800, when he came down the Ohio River
to Marietta and thence to Licking Countv, settling
near Newark, where he passed the closing scenes
of his life. His death occurred in the year 1825,
when eighty-two years of age.

The grandfather of our subject, Andrew Galer,
was born in Pennsylvania in 1775, and it is sup-
posed that he stopped a short time in Marietta
when he came with his parents to Ohio, and a little
later he resided on the Muskingum River, north



of there. He was married in this State in the year
1800, to Miss Ruth Allen, a native of West Vir-
ginia, who moved with her parents to Ohio. Mr.
G.iler afterward settled in Licking County, Ohio,
followed farming, and there reared eleven chil-
dren, all of whom married, but only three are now
living. He and his young wife began housekeep-
ing in a log cabin in the woods, and the fortitude
and pluck displayed by this ambitious couple in
struggling through the adversities of pioneer life
and coming out victorious won for them the ad-
miration and respect of all. There he and his
faithful companion passed their last days.

Perry J. Galer, father of our subject, was born
in Licking County, Ohio, September 6, 1815, and
was reared on his father's farm in Licking Countj-,
where he now makes his home. He p.assed his
youth and received his education in that countv,
attending the pioneer log school with all its rude
contrivances, and, .as he w.as an excellent speller,
every spelling-mateli received much attention from
him. He taught sixteen terms of school, princi-
pally during the winter months, and w.as consid-
ered a very successful educator and disciplinarian.
He was thrice married, and after the death of his
second wife, he went to Memphis, Tenn., where he
had charge of a large planing est,ablishment when
the war broke out. He was obliged to leave that
city on account of his Northeni views, .and he af-
terward eng.aged in merchandising at Eden, Dela-
ware County-, Ohio, continuing there until 1868,
when he came to DeGraff and embarked in the drug
business. This he carried on until 1886, since
which time he has retired from the active duties of
life. He h.as a farm of one hundred and ten acres
in Pleasant Township, this county, and is one of
the esteemed and honored men of the countv.

Our subject's mother w.as Laura P. Pratt, a na-
tive of Licking County, Ohio, bom in 1820,
and she had two children, Mary E. and our
subject. The former first married Dr. W. W.
Fountaine, of Columbus, Ohio, who died in 1872,
and later she married E. C. AVilson,of DeGraff,and
now resides at Goshen, Ind. The mother of these
children died in March, 1811. The father's second
marriage was with Miss Prudence P. Jordon, of
Lickinir Countv. Ohio, and the one child born to



580



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



this union died in infancy. Three years later,
Mrs. Galer passed away. Mr. Galer's third mar-
ri.age was to Mrs. Jane Baxter, of Ashley, Delaware
County, Ohio, and they have two children, Carrie,
a teacher in the public schools, and Robert S.

The maternal grandfather of our subject, Maj.
Benjamin Pratt, w.as a native of Vermont, and came
to Ohio in 1815, settling in Granville, Licking
County. He was a Major in the War of 1812, and
was a man of more than ordinary ability, being
quite a mechanical genius. He died at Coldwater,
Slich., when eighty -seven years of age. The great
grandfather on this side, Ebeneezer Pratt, was also
born in Vermont, but settled in Licking County,
Ohio, in 1815. He was a farmer of that county,
and died when over ninety years of age. His wife
was Prudence Whipple, who also lived to be over
ninety' years of age.

The earlj' scholastic training of our subject was
received in the public schools at Columbus and in
the district schools of Delaware County. At the
age of sixteen years, he entered the Weslej'an Uni-
versity at Delaware, remained there two years and
only lacked one term of graduating in the scientific
course when he left school. In 1861, he began
reading medicine under Dr. R. S. Gilcrist, and dur-
ing 1863 and 1864, he took a course in the Starling
Medical College of Columbus. After this, he
practiced for two years at Eden, Delaware County,
Ohio, and afterward spent one year reading under
Dr. Hamilton, of Columbus. Later, he completed
his medical studies and graduated in the spring
of 1867.

After this he came to DeGraff, and has had a
large and paying jnactice ever since. During bis
long years of practice here, he has proved himself
to be a physician of ability, his practice being very
large and among the best class of citizens. He
was married on the 31st of May, 1871, to Miss
Joanna Loofbourrow, a native of Delaware County,
Ohio, bora Jlarch 23, 1842, and two interesting
children have resulted from this union, Bessie A.
and Nellie G. The Doctor has been very success-
ful, and aside from his extensive practice is the
owner of two hundred and fifteen acres of land in
Pleasant Township. He is a stockholder and Pres-
ident of the Citizens' Bank in DeGraff, and owns



considerable town property, including his fine resi-
dence. He is a member of the National, State and
County Medical Associations, and also a member
of the Afasonic fraternity, of which he has taken
the Thirty -second Degree.



i>^^<p



jy,EV. WILLIAM W. LANCE, A. B. The
pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
\V of Sidney, whose name is given above
'^Ibegan his duties here in 1890, coming to
the town in the month of October. Before giving
a personal sketch of our subject, it is fitting that a
few words should be said in regard to the charge
which Mr. Lance now has, and in doing so we
quote largely from a leaflet, published in Sidney:
"Methodism in Sidney began in the year 1825, at
which time the first Methodist sermon was preached
in the house of Joel Frankenberger, by the Rev.
Levi White. Sidney was then a part of the Belle-
fontaine circuit, which extended from Sidney to
Bellefontaine, and thence to West Liberty and
Westville, and all included territory.

" The first Presiding Elder was the Rev. David
Young, and in 1831 the first Methodist Church
was erected in Sidney. Seven years later, it was
replaced by a more commodious building, which
remained in use until the building of the present
structure in 1867. In 1834, Sidney was made the
head of the circuit, and so remained until 1843,
when it became a station, and soon took rank
among the first in the county.

" The present beautiful home of the pastor, sit-
uated on the corner of Poplar Street and Miami
Avenue, was built in 1887, and now, when the
church building is remodeled a little, Sidney will
have one of the most beautiful, valuable and con-
venient church properties in the Conference. Sid-
ney h.as been the seat of the Annual Conference
on three different occasions — once in 1847, with
Bishop Janes presiding; .again in 1874, with Bishop
Andrews in the chair, and also in 1882, under the
presidency of Bishop Warren.



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



581



"The membership of the Sidney Church has
grown steadily from eight to five hundred, and she
has already sent out many to work in other fields,
both as laymen and miuistei'S. Standing shoulder
to shoulder with the other Evangelical churches of
the cit}-, she will continue at her post as a guardian
of the faith, and a propagator of morality and
pure and undefiled religion."

Returning to our subject, we find that the Rev.
William Lance was born in York, Pa., May 28, 1846.
He is a son of Blichael Scott and Eva M. (Wolf)
Lance. The father was a tanner and currier by
trade. He w,a3 born on the Atlantic Ocean, while
his parents were on their way hither. The original
name of the family was Laurens, our subject's
grandfather having been oneof Napoleon's stanch
supporters. Banished to America on the deposi-
tion of the Emperor, he settled ou a tract of land
adjoining West Point Acadeui}'. He was there ac-
cidentally killed by falling out of a tree, while
gathering nuts for children. His estate was settled
bj' his private secretary', who bound out his chil-
dren under different names. He, himself, pocketed
the proceeds from the sale ( f the estate and re-
turned to France.

Our subject's father, who was given the name of
Lance, was bound out to a Mr. Bryson, a tanner
of Harrisburg, Pa. Under him he learned the tan-
ner's trade, and was employed in thatforthe remain-
der of his life. He came to the West about 1850,
and located in Spring Hill, Ohio, where he con-
ducted a tannery and alsoa patent-leather factory.
He died in the spring of 1866 at Columbus. His
wife had p.assed away in the fall of 1859, leavinga
family of live children, whose names are as follows:
William W., Sarah E., Shields D., George W., and
Wilhelmina; our subject is the eldest of the famil}'.
Sarah is now the widow of Edward Hampshire.
Shields is at present engaged wiLli the Pioneer
Buggy Company, of Columbus, this State. George
W. is a passenger conductor on the Big Four Road.
The youngest child died about four years after the
death of her mother. In early da3-s both parents
were Lutherans, but after coming West they be-
came members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

ilr. Lance graduated from the Ohio Wesleyan
University in 1871, with the degree of A. B.,



later adding the MastSr's degree. After finishing
his university course, he at once entered the min-
istry, having prepared himself previously b^- an
extended course of theological study. His first
charge was in the town of Prospect, where he re-
mained two years, and after a pastorate of nine-
teen years, in several different pl.aces, he is now
serving his second year in Sidney'. His ministra-
tions since coming to this place have been blessed,
and about one hundred and fifty members have
been added to the church.

The Rev. Mr. Lance was united in marriage to
Miss Anna Howard, of Delaware, Ohio, October 9,
1871. She was a daughter of George N. Howard,
who had moved from Columbus to the place where
their daughter was married. Mr. and Mi-s. Lance
are the parents of five children, whose names are
as follows: Hoyt JI., R.ay McCabe, May Alcott,
Winifred Waters and Ralph J^dmund. The eldest
son is now a student in the High School. Our
subject has been a member of the Central Ohio
Conference since entering his chosen work. Fra-
ternally, he belongs to tlie Free and Accepted
Masons, and also to the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows.



-^^^^i



j^r^ i" ^



/i^ HARLES F. YAGER. In listing a review
(l( _ of the enterprises of Sidney, attention should
^^/ be called to the firm of Yager i Smith, man-
ufacturers of buggies, carri.agos, wagons, etc. This
is one of the largest and most complete establish-
ments in the county and the firm caters to the best
class of trade only. Mr. Y,ager is a native of
Indiana, born in Middlebury, Elkhart County,
on the 2d of October, 1849, and the son of Clark
and Margaret E. (Thomas) Yager, natives respec-
tively of Ohio and Maryland. The father was a
miller by trade and followed milling in his native
State until a young man, when he decided to settle
in Pinua. He located in Piijua. but after a short
residence there, he moved to Indiana and was mar-
ried in Miami Countv, of that State, to Miss



582



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Thomas. On the 1st of January, 1862, the family
moved to Shelby County, Ohio, settled in Sidney,
and here Mr. Yager was engaged in milling until
about 1889, wlien he moved to Springfield, and
there resided until his death. The following is from
a local paper in regard to that occurrence:

DEATH OF CL.A.I!K YAGKU.

Clark Yager, for many years a resident of this
county and known to a great number of inhabit-
ants, died at the home of his daughter, in Spring-
field, Wednesday afternoon, after a montli's illness.
He was boru iu Knox County, September 22, 1822,
his parents moving to Butler County a few years
later, where he learned the milling trade. This
was his chosen work and he ever afterward followed
it, working in Indiana, INIichigan and different
points in Ohio. He finally found his w.ay to Sid-
ney, where he took charge of the Walker Mill in
1862. Here he spent the remainderof his working
days, becoming complete ownerof themillin 1879.
In" 18-14, he was married to Miss Ella Thomas.
From this marriage there were born five children,
four of whom — George, of Fostoria; Mrs. W. C.
Powell, of Springfield; Charles and Mrs. H. "W.
Thompson, of this place — with his wife are left to
mourn his loss. Mr. Yager was an agreeable man,
well liked by the many friends he m.ade duringthe
long time he was in business m our midst. Last
December he went to Springfield, where he had
been living with his daughter. At the time the
cyclone sw^ept over Springfield, he was feeling un-
well, but despite that tact he went out to see the
damage which had been done. He over-exerted
himself, and grew gradually woi-se until 1 o'clock
yesterday afternoon, when he passed peacefully
away. The remains will be brought here and the
funeral will take place from the home of his daugh-
ter, Mrs. H. W. Thompson, at 10 o'clock to-mor-
row morning.

The original of this notice finished his education
in the schools of Sidney, and learned the trade of
body-making in the carriage manufactory of H.
Miller, with whom he remained for twenty-
two years. Upon the organization of the Sidney
Buggy Company, he engaged with them and there
continued for two years, when he established busi-
ness for himself. Mr. Smith, his partner, was with
the same firm for seventeen years. They estab-
lished their shop on Court Street, and have a
frontage of eighty feet, including warcrooms,
wood-working shop, turning shop and paint shop.
Thev are doing a heavy line of new work and also



have a good run of repairing, doing the leading
business in the town. The membei-s of this firm
give the business their entire attention, and their
name on a buggy is sufficient guarantee that it is
well made. Their r.ating in commercial circles is
of the most exemplary character, as is the confi-
dence reposed in them by all with whom they have
business transactions. By able and popular man-
agement, this firm has secured a prosperous business
and won a position among the foremost exponents
of this industry.

On the 20th of December, 1870, Mr. ITager mar-
ried Miss Nannie L. Y'inger, a native of Sidney,
and the daughter of Leonard Y'inger. Three chil-
dren have been given to them by this union,
and are as follows: Mary E., Fred C, and Lizzie,
who died when two years old. By industry
and superior business acumen, Mr. Y''ager has ac-
cnraulated all his property, and is now one of the
substantial men of the city. He has a good frame
residence on Franklin Street, and is in very com-
fortable circumstances indeed. He is a member of
Temperance Lodge No. 73, A. F. & A.M., of which
he is Junior Warden.



aOL. C. A. LAYTON, Prosecuting Attorney
^ of Auglaize County, Ohio, was born in this
'' County on the 5th of May, 1853, and is a
son of W. V. M. and Sarah E. (Whitney) Lay ton,
the father a native of Ohio and the mother of New
York. The mother is a relative of ex-Secretary
Whitney, of New York City. Great-grandfather
Whitney was a soldier in the Revolutionary War,
and our subject's paternal grandfather, William
Layton, was a successful agriculturist. The latter
emigrated from New Jersey at an early date and
made a settlement in Clarke County, Ohio, where
he was among the earliest pioneers. Later, he set-
tled in Auglaize County, .and there received his
final sumnKMis.

The father of our subject, W. V. M. Layton, w.as



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



583



a noted lawyer in his day and practiced his profes-
sion in Wapakoneta from 1856 to 1879, when his
death occurred. He was one of the ablest men, best
lawyers and strongest reasonere in the community.
He was original in thought, precise in logic, terse
in statement, yet, withal, faultless in elo<iuence,
and a brilliant orator of his da\-. lie was Prose-
cuting Attorney of Auglaize County, Mayor of
AVapakoneta and a member of the Constitutional
Convention of 1872-73. He also held numerous
minor offices. He was the father of nine children,
six sons .and three daughters, and was three times
married.

Col. C. A. L.ayton. the eldest child by the sec-
ond marriage, is a faithful representative of his
illustrious sire and h.as inherited man_v of his most
estimable qualities. He was reared in Wapakoneta
and his education w.os obtained in the common
scliools. AVhen nineteen years of age, he beg.in the
study of law and was admitted to the Bar in 1874,
when tweuty-one j-ears of age. After practicing
one year, his health failed and he was obliged to
give up Ills profession for the time at least. The
trouble Lay in his lungs, and he went West, where
he remained four years roughing it. He w.as en-
gaged in various occupations, worked at anything
he could, and was in Montana, Colorado and
ever\' Western State or Territory between this and
tlie Pacific Coast. For two years he was with the
Fairbanks Scale Company and traveled extensively.
While West, he did not fail to improve the oppor-
tunity of digging for gold, and was at Leadville,
Gunnison and San Juan County and many other
points in the mining district. He prospected at
Leadville and the Black Hills .and had some thrill-
ing experiences in both places. During the j-ear
1880, he returned to his native State, cured of his
ailment, and h.asbeen strong and hearty ever since,
weighing at the present time two hundred and
fifty pounds. He is a man of strong build and
phj-sique. While in the West, lie was compelled to
remain sis weeks in Ouray, Colo., on account of
the war with the Indians.

On the 10th of January, 1880, he hung out his
shingle again in Wapakoneta and has since prac-
ticed his profession with marked success. He was
elected Prosecuting Attornev in Octolier, 1882. and



has held the office continuously ever since. This
is a record that very few can boast of. The Colo-
nel w.as elected City Solicitor in April, 1883, and
has held the office without interruption up to the
present time, having been re-elected five times. In
January, 1884, he was appointed by Gov. Hoadley
aid-de-camp on the military staff, with the rank of
Colonel and served in that oap.acity during the Gov-
ernor's term. While thus serving, he was appointed
one of the court of inquiry and court-marshal
held at D.aylon upon certain officei-s of the Fourth
Regiment for cowardice during the Cincinnati riot.
He was also selected by Gov. Hoadley as the State
Representative at the dedication of Washington's
monument, on the 22d of February, 1885. He has
been Chairman of Auglaize County Democratic
Committee several times and w.as ofl'ered a position
on Gov. Campbell's staff, which he declined to ac-
cept.

Col. Layton selected his life companion in the
person of Miss Kittie L. Green, of Titusville, Pa.,
and one daughter h.as been born to this union,
Marguerite Koneta. Mrs. Layton is a member of
the Lutheran Church and an accomplished and re-
fined lady. Soci.ally, the Colonel is a member of
the Kniglits of Pythias, and the Elks.



^ OSEPH C. BRAND, Jr. The Logan County
Index, of which this gentleman is proprietor
and publislier in company with W. S. Roe-
buck, whose sketch also appears in this vol-
ume, is justly considered one of the brightest and
most sparkling local papei-s of this county. It is
an eight^page folio and chronicles the latest and
most interesting happenings in the social, business
and political world. Since it came into the hands
of the present firm, it has grown rapidly in influ-
ence, and is now a welcome guest in many homes,
while as an advertising medium it enjoys an es-
tablished reputation.

A native of this State, our subject was born in
Champaign County, Dceemlicr 11, IM.'l'.l. and is a



584



PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



son of the Hon. Joseph C. and Lavinia (Talbott)
Brand, natives respectively of Bourbon County,
Ky., and Shepherdstown, Va. The ancestors of our
subject on both sides of the house were soldiers in
the AVar of 1812, the Brand family being of Scotch
origin, while the Talbotts wore of English stock.
The maternal grandfather of our subject was a
Methodist minister and served as Clerk of Lewis
County (Va.) Court for about twenty years, and
died in that county while the incumbent of that
position.

The Hon. Joseph C. Brand has been very promi-
nent in local affairs, and was a farmer for a num-
ber of years. He has spent the greater part of his
life, however, as a general merchant, and located
in Champaign Count)', this State, in 1832, when a
young man. He re])resented his county in both
branches of the Legislature, was a soldier in the
late war, and was Consul to Nuremburg, Germany,
during Grant's administration. After his return
to the United States, he was elected Mayor of the
city of Urbana, this State, for three successive
terms.

Tlie original of this sketch is the fourth child in
the parental family of nine, and was reared in L^r-
bana, where he was given an excellent education
in the common schools, and later in the Urbana
Universitj'. After completing his education, he
was engaged in teaching school, and later in book-
keeping for about twenty-two \-ears. He has served
in man}' public positions, and has been Deputy
Internal Revenue Collector, and_ was Chief Deputy
of the old Fort District for a period of sixteen
years.

In 1885, Mr. Brand purchased a one-half inter-
est in the Logan County Index, and has charge of
the editorial department. Although not a practi-
cal printer, he is a gentleman well qualified to fill
tlie position which he occupies, and his paper now
enjoys a wide-spread reputation. He is Secretarj-
of the Citizens' Building and Loan Association,
which was the first company organized on the per-
petual plan in Bellefontaine, and is the largest in
the county. IMr. Brand was also a member of the
City Council, and in Masonic circles occupies a
high place.

He of whom we write was married in 1861 to



Miss Sarah R. Pearson, by whom he became the
father of two children, John P. Brand and Mrs.
Lena B. Colton. On the death of his wife, he
chose for his second companion Mrs. Anna E.
Taylor, to whom he was united in marriage No-
vember 20, 1890. They are both influential mem-
bers of the aiethodist Episcopal Church, and at
their hospitable home are wont to entertain their
many friends.



■i-^m-i-



/^EN. JAMES O. AMOS, one of the foremost
111 '^ ™^^ '" Shelby County, has added to
^^ill the long list of his distinguished ancestors
one more honorable name. Gen. Amos has the
satisfaction, a rare one among Americans, of being
able to trace back his ancestry to the settlement of
SLaryland under Lord Baltimore in 1629. Our
subject was himself born near Beallsville, Ohio,
March 30, 1833. lie was reared ou the home farm,
receiving such training as the locality at that time



Online LibraryW. O. AbsherPortrait and biographical record of Auglaize, Logan and Shelby Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, together with biographies and portraits of all the Presidents of the United States → online text (page 73 of 76)