Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 100 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 100 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


party. They started with a thousand head of cattle, but many perished on
the way because c.f the scarcity of feed and water.

The trip was full of danger and anxiety. The train ahead of them had
been attcked l)y savages and some of the travelers had been massacred.
The train following them also met with misadventure and losses from




}- )^ yro^t^^^^^^^a^




HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 991

Indians. This party fortunately escaped, although they had several encount-
ers with the Indians. They always found that kindness won. At one time
they were furced to sell a pony rather than incur the enmity of their unde-
sired guests. Two of the white men, while hunting for camp quarters,
suspected Indians of a theft and determined to bring them back to camp
for justice. Wiser men realized the mistake, but the two persisted in a spirit
of fun. Thus they incurred the enmit)' of the Indians, who vowed to have
their scalps. Intercessions were made and the Indians were persuaded to
leave, but they departed in anger. The train had two very an.xious days.
At every moment they feared an attack by the savages in retaliation for
the trouble. Meanwhile a consultation was held and the party decided, in
case the two men were demanded, they would be given up, as they alone
should sufler the consequences of their own deed. The entire party already
had gone through the experience of viewing a war-dance and bonfire and
they did not wish to continually encounter Indians during the remainder of
the trip. Fortunately, however, nothing further was heard concerning the
matter.

It was the custom at camping time to form a corral with wagons with
the men taking turns as guards. On one occasion they camped for several
days to permit the cattle to rest and the women to do their baking and laun-
dering (for they had more conveniences than previous trains), Indians sud-
denl}' a[)peared. Spying a tiny babe, the smaller of the two infants in the
company, they determined to possess the child, and it was with difficulty
that they were dissuaded from their purpose. In order to refuse them yet
retain their friendship, various articles were bestowed upon them as peace
offerings. The train never traveled on Sunday unless for lack of feed and
water. Toward the last provisions became very scarce and when tinally the
party reached Sacramento in October, 1859, they greatly enjoyed a feast of
potatoes and salt, the former bought at cc st of twent}^ cents per pound.

From Sacramento the members of the expedition scattered in various
directions. Mr. and Mrs. Worthington went to San Lorenzo, Alameda
county, where a sister of the latter was located, having preceded them to
California via Panama. Having been reared to farm work, Mr. Worthington
decided to engage in ranching and he selected a claim in Santa Clara county
in the foothills between Milpitas and Warm Springs. There he remained
for some time, but eventually the Nevada mining excitement made him rest-
less and desirous of a change, so he took his wife and three children over
the mountains by team to Dayton, Nev., where he was employed in the mills
as amalgamator. However, the climate of Nevada did not agree with his
wife and she returned to California, accompanied by the three children.
The only accident of the trip was caused by meeting a team between sta-
tions on a steep and narrow grade, which resulted in the loss of a second
wagon containing freight. On their return to California the family settled at
Haywards, Alameda county, and about 1870 the father returned from Nevada
to resume agricultural pursuits. Of a strong religious nature he and his
wife \vere charter members of the Haywards Congregational Church and he
served as an official until his death. Of a gentle, retiring nature, he was
never so happy as when surrounded by his family or able to aid some one.
The end came in accord with his life, so quietly that not even the loved
companion by his side knew of the call until he was gone ; always desirous
of not becoming a burden, his prayer had been answered. Of his family
there survive only Frank M. and Cora M. The latter married John Penney
in October, 1880, and they have an only daughter, California Myrtle Penney.
who in February, 1911, became the wife of Dr. Robert D. Healey, a very
successful osteopathic physician. The Penney and Healey families reside
at Pacific Grove, Monterev countv.



992 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Born near Hayward, Alameda county, Cal., March 11, 1862, Frank Mer-
rill Worthington was educated in local schools and Heald's Business College
in San Francisco (of which he is a graduate), also the University of Cali-
fornia. During 1880 he became baggageman with the Southern Pacific Rail-
road Company at Madison, Yolo county, where he learned telegraphy. Next
he became a brakeman and then was made conductor between Elmira and
Madison. During September of 1886 he resigned and went to Los Angeles,
where later he worked under Superintendent Muir of the Southern Pacific.
After a short service as brakeman between Los Angeles and Bakersfield in
1887 he became conductor between Los Angeles and Kern. Upon the
death of his father he resigned his position in order to settle the estate and
upon his return in 1894, there having been a change of superintendents, he
was obliged to begin again as brakeman, but soon he was promoted to be
a conductor and after a time he was selected as traveling conductor. From
1898 to 1900 he served as train master on the San Joaquin division and then
became assistant superintendent of the Tucson division. In December of
19C6 he was appointed superintendent of the San Joaquin division with his
headquarters in Bakersfield. At that time the division included the Southern
Pacific from Los Angeles to Fresno with all of the branch lines, also the
line between Saugus and Santa Barbara, comprising nine hundred and four
miles. Since then the line from Saugus to Santa Barbara has been taken
out of the division, but as many new miles have been added, so that the
total mileage is practically unchanged.

Besides filling the many responsible duties connected with his prominent
position Mr. Worthington acts as a director in the First National Bank of
Bakersfield and also in the Producers' Savings Bank. Politically he keeps
posted concerning national problems and' votes with the Republican party.
He was made a Mason in Bakersfield No. 224, F. & A. M., member of Kern
Valley Lodge No. 75, R. A. M., and Bakersfield Commandery, K. T. His
family have been identified with the Emanuel Presbyterian Church of that
city. His marriage took place at Hayward, Alameda county, April 23, 1882,
and united him with Miss Sarah Frances Hampton, a native of Kentucky
and a daughter of Henry Hampton, M. D., a pioneer physician of Ventura
county. Mrs. Hampton died in December, 1912, at ninety years of age. The
other surviving members of the Hampton family are Mrs. Glenn Wallace and
Mrs. Worthington, also three grandchildren, Mrs. A. A. Lee, of Los Angeles,
and Edwin and Frances Wallace, of Venice, Cal. Ethel Marguerite, the only
child of Mr. and Mrs. Worthington, was married to Arthur Albert Lee in Los
Angeles April 23, 1906, and has one son, Merrill Worthington Lee.

ANDRE ANDRE.— Near Gap, Hautes-Alpes, Mr. Andre was born Sep-
tember 18, 1854, and trained to till the soil, care for growing crops
and tend the flocks of sheep on the home farm. His parents, Ambroise and
Marian (Brocheir) Andre, died in France, the latter during 1875 and the
father in 1897. During the decade from 1875 to 1885 the elder Andre lived
in California, but a homesick longing for his beloved native land led him
back to France to spend his last days in the midst of the friends and
scenes beloved of his youth.

In a family of ten children, only three of whom are now living, Andre
Andre was the first-born and for that reason he was perhaps unusually self-
reliant and industrious. The care of the young children and the necessity
to work early and late that so many might be supported taught him the
importance of frugality and industry. As he labored quietly at home he
heard much concerning California and early resolved to seek a livelihood
in this portion of the new world. At the age of nineteen he left home for
New York and thence traveled west. Eighteen days were spent on an
emigrant train between New York and San Francisco. After sailing via




Oyi^^'^^ (^^^^^^



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 995

steamer on the Pacific from San Francisco he landed at the harbor of
San Pedro, September 24, 1874. E\er since then he has kept more or less
closely in touch with that city, where for twenty-five years he has owned
a residence on Pleasant avenue.

A stockman in Los Angeles county gave the young French lad employ-
ment as a sheep-herder and he remained for eighteen months with his first
employer, after which he herded sheep for Eugene Garnie for eighteen months
and then spent five months in the same work for the San Fernando Company.
By 1878 he had saved enough to buy a small flock of sheep. These he
ranged in various parts of Los Angeles county, but in 1881 he drove the
flock across the Tehachapi mountains, arriving in Kern county on the 3d
of December. He continued in the sheep business until 1889, when he
sold the flock and returned to Los Angeles. Returning to France in 1890,
he spent seven months in the old home neighborhood, and during that
visit, October 28. 1890, he married Miss Inez Nichols, who was born in
Hautes-Alpes and died in Kern county May 28, 1913. Five children, all at
home, form the family of Mr. Andre, namely: Andre, Louis, Gabriel, Irene
and Inez. The family are communicants of St. Francis Roman Catholic
Church.

From 1890 to 1895 Mr. Andre made his home in Los Angeles, but spent
much of his time on the range with his sheep. During 1895 he brought this
flock of sheep over the Tehachapi and settled in Kern county, where he
devoted his time to the occupation until 1906. At that time he sold the
sheep in order that he might devote his attention wholly to farm pursuits.
During January of 1904 he had purchased sixty acres on the Kern Island
road a few miles south of Bakersfield. This tract he has improved with
residence and barns and has developed an abundance of irrigation from
the Kern Island canal, so that grain and alfalfa are raised with profit. Dur-
ing 1912 he added to his possessions by the purchase of eighty acres on
Union avenue. This tract also is under irrigation and is in alfalfa. For
the present the larger farm is operated by a tenant, the care and cultivation
of the sixty leaving Mr. Andre no time for more than a close supervision
of the other property.

EUGENE RICHARD CARLTON.— The manager of Hotel Carlton at
Caliente has been a resident of California from early childhood, but claims
South Dakota as his native commonwealth, having been born at Custer,
Custer county, on the 20th of September, 1884, From the age of four years
he has lived in California, first in Tulare and then in Kern county. With
this portion of the state he is familiar by long residence and active busi-
ness identification. Through his kindly efforts he has been enabled to
provide a comfortable home for his parents in their declining days, while his
energy and enterprise have benefited also his own financial and business
standing. The family of which he is a member comes of old southern
extraction. His father, A. T., a native of Hickory county, Mo., gave his
support to the Union at the time of the Civil war, entering the army and
serving as a private until the expiration of his time. After the war he aided
in quelling a number of Indian outbreaks and meanwhile had several nar-
row escapes. After his marriage in Missouri to Telutha Minter he removed
to the Dakotan frontiers and settled on the plains of Custer county, where
he entered a claim, proved up on the land, developed a stock ranch and
labored indefatigably, but without the merited returns of prosperity and
comfort. Hoping to be benefited by a change, in 1888 he brought the family
to California and settled at Tulare where with his wife he resides on a
small farm within the city limits of Tulare. Among their nine children, six
now living, Eugene Richard is the third eldest.

On leaving the Tulare high school Eugene Richard Carlton secured em-



996 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

ployment as clerk in a grocery and later conducted the old Exchange gro-
cery with considerable success. When he sold out in 1901 he devoted the
proceeds of the business to buying a small place for his parents, after which
he started anew in the world. A brief experience in the teaming business
in Bakersfield provided him with funds utilized in the establishment of the
firm of Carlton & Crockett, which in January of 1913 bought the hotel at
Caliente. After the building had been remodeled and overhauled, it was
opened as the Hotel Carlton, with Mr. Carlton as the affable and popular
landlord. Since then he has devoted himself faithfully and intelligently to
the management of the hotel, giving little attention to politics aside from
voting the Democratic ticket, and taking no part in any fraternities aside
from the Eagles and the Improved Order of Red Men. After coming to
Kern county he was united in marriage with Miss Effie M. Cootes, of Bakers-
field, a native of San Diego, and they have one son, Eugene Richard, Jr.

ROBERT BURTON.— In Des Moines, Iowa, Mr. Burton was born Sep-
tember 28, 1877. When only two years of age he lost his father, David
Burton, an attorney of prominence, whose untimely death cut short
a most hopeful career and left the family without means of support.
There was another son, William, two years younger than Robert, and these
two were taken into the home of their maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs.
Joseph King, of Kansas City, Mo. When Robert was nine years of age he
was orphaned by the death of his mother and two years later he started out
to make his own way in the world. From that time forward he was self-
supporting. Having always been fond of horses and experienced in their man-
agement, he became a jockey and followed the circuit. For a time he worked
with Bob Burns. The life was exciting, the experiences thrilling and the
work interesting, but the boy whose admirable control of horses won many
a cheer in closely contested races lacked the educational opportunities and
the refined environment that would have been his if his cultured parents had
survived. From the race-track he went to the sea and shipped as cabin-boy
from New York City, afterward sailing from one port to another and visiting
Japan, China, Africa, South and North America, and the princioal seaports
of Europe. When he left the sea he returned to jockeying and followed the
circuit to San Francisco, where later he was variously engaged, then came to
Kern county in 1903 and settled down to learning the oil business. For a
time he worked on the San Joaquin division of the Associated and the Peerless
lease in the Kern river field.

Going to the Santa Maria field Mr. Burton engaged as gang pusher for
eighteen months. Meanwhile he assisted in the construction of a pipe line
for the Pennell Oil Company. Later he worked for the Brookshire and Rice
Ranch Oil companies. Upon returning to the Kern river field he again took a
position with the Associated and later was with the Enos Oil Company as
foreman and superintendent. After a service of five months in the latter office
he resigned to come to Maricopa, where he joined the force of the J. F. Lucey
Supnly Company. In the interests of that concern he went to Taft and worked
in the oil business there. In September of 1911 he was called to the super-
intendency of the Muscatine Oil Company, a close corporation. In San
Francisco he married Miss Delia Lewis, a native of Tulare county, this
.state, and by the union there are two daughters, Bernice and Fay.
Some years ago he purchased two lots at Richland, but with that excention
he has not invested in land. Politically he votes with the Republican party
and fraternally is associated with the Eagles, but he has little leisure for
public affairs or fraternal activities, his attention being given closely to the
production of oil for his company and his time being spent wholly on the
forty acre lease, on section 1, 11-24.



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 999

E. M. HAMILTON. — The great improvement wrought at Willow
Springs, eight miles west of Rosamond, shows what can be done on the
desert by developing the natural resources of the county. It has become the
show place of the region. Nine years ago it was barren land covered with
brush, and today it is improved with fields of alfalfa, orchards and vine-
yards. Mr. Hamilton studied the country and found that by laying cement
pipes for sub-irrigation it resulted in producing larger crops and of sweeter
and finer flavor. The fruits of the orchard and vine have been tested and
found to contain twenty-two per cent of sugar. The soil in the locality is
good and being surrounded by water the climatic conditions are most
excellent. On account of these existing conditions Mr. Hamilton built a
sanitarium with the idea of furnishing a retreat for those afilicted with
pulmonary trouble and kindred ailments.

E. M. Hamilton was born near Mt. Sterling, Brown county, 111., Feb-
ruary 22, 1833, his educational advantages being th^ise of the common
schools of his day. When sixteen years of age he left the home farm and
began boating on the Mississippi river, and he rose from third cook to first
steward. In 1853 he discarded his kid gloves and picking up an ox whip,
drove five yoke of oxen across the plains, arriving in Oregon, and from there
he worked his way to California. For a time he followed mining in northern
California and then began farming at Shasta City. At one time he owned
the Canon ranch on a part of which the city of Redding is now built. In
1861 he returned east and in 1862 enlisted in Company D, First Minnesota
Regiment and later, on the reorganization, he was in Company B, First
Battalion. Among other battles he served in the Wilderness. Cold
Harbor, Deep Bottom, Ream's Station, Siege of Petersburg and Richmond.
After taking part in the Grand Review he was mustered out and honorably
discharged and then returned to Maine where his parents lived. For a time
he followed farming and afterwards the trade of stone mason. In 1872 he
followed the Robinson mining excitement to Montana. From 1873 until 1875
he followed contracting in Alinneapolis, and in the year last mentioned he
located in Los Angeles, Cal., in the same line of business. He also estab-
lished the first artificial stone works in Los .Angeles. In 18% his health
became so impaired that he came to Antelope valley and in October, 1896,
he camped at Willow Springs. He began prospecting and discovered the
Alida mine, which he developed, later building a stamp mill, and in two
years took out $200,000 of gold from the mine. Some time afterwards he
sold the mine.

About 1904 Mr. Hamilton purchased Willow Springs from the Beale
estate and since that time has made valuable improvements on the desert,
having groves of willows, cottonwood and mulberries. His experiments with
raising the silk worm proved a success and showed the adaptability to rais-
ing silk. In connection with the sanitarium he has a grocery store, garage,
blacksmith shop, ice and cold storage plant, electric light plant, public hall
and theater, and telephone. He obtained the postoffice and has since been
the postmaster. He built the Hamilton house at Rosamond, a two-story
fireproof building.

Mr. Hamilton has been married three times; the first time was in Min-
neapolis to Sarah Landson. who died there, and the three children born to
them are also deceased. He was married again in Minnesota to Harriett
Moffitt, who died in Los Angeles. Of their four children three are living.
Fred is the manager of Willow Springs; Lester resides in Los .\ngeles ;
Eugene is deceased ; and Truman is proprietor of the Hamilton House at
Rosamond.

Mr. Hamilton's third marriage was with Mrs. Elsie E. Galloway, a
native of Canada. While residing in Los .Angeles he served three terms as



1000 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

councilman, being elected on the Independent ticket. He is proud of the
fact that during his service he voted to have electric lights on the street
corners. He is of an inventive genius and has made many useful inventions,
among them asbestine sub-irrigation to apply water below the surface of the
ground thus keeping the surface dry. He holds membership in Kenesaw
Post, G. A. R., and the Society of Los Angeles Pioneers.

JOHN ADOLPHUS FRY.— The Teutonic origin of the Fry family has
given to its various members the traits of excellent manhood, thrifty habits
and loyal citizenship evidenced in all branches of the family, many of the
representatives proving valuable to their chosen country by heroic effort
in war, and patriotic helpfulness in time of peace. The founder of this
branch of the family in America was Col. Philip Fry, who was born in
Germany and came at an early day to the United States, settling first in
Virginia, where he founded the well-known southern family, many mem-
bers being prominently identified with the American Revolution as active
participants.

Col. Philip Fry himself served under Gen. Nathaniel Greene and spent
the memorable winter at Valley Forge with his regiment ; in the Battle
of Brandywine fought shoulder to shoulder with the famous Lafayette.
Later his son, William Livingston Fry, was commissioned an officer in the
Indian service under Zachary Taylor. Gathering up the Indian tribes re-
maining in the Southern-Atlantic states, he recorded them, and then took
them to the Cherokee country in Indian Territory, which at that time was
a vast wilderness. For his valuable work in this direction he was com-
missioned Colonel. He afterwards removed to Alabama and there reared his
family of three sons and two daughters, the eldest of the family being
John Adolphus.

On November 14, 1827, John A. Fry was born in Huntsville, Jackson
county, Ala., where he grew up and acquired an excellent education, his
parents affording him more than usual advantages in this direction. His
first marriage, to Dian Olan, which occurred in Alabama in 1850, was blessed
with two children, Calvin Columbus and William Harrison, the latter a
farmer in Kings county. After the death of the mother in Alabama, Mr.
Fry decided to try his fortunes in the new west, reaching California in 1862
and settling at Sonora, Tuolumne county. With his brother Wesley and
Levi Street, he engaged in the mercantile business for a while, and later
engaged in mining. Associated with his brother, S. Wesley Fry, James
Hodges and Captain Turner, he embarked extensively in the mining industry,
and together they owned the Rawhide with a twenty-stamp quartz mill. This
mine brought in such splendid returns that they became very wealthy, as
wealth was counted in those days. This mill and mine were later burned and
flooded and were finally abandoned. With his brother Mr. Fry also owned
the Comstock of Sonora, the Calder, the Jackson, the Blue Jacket and the
Rock Pile mines.

In 1870 Mr. Fry gave up mining and went to Stockton and engaged
extensively in agriculture or grain-raising, owning his own headers, threshers
and stock, as well as everything necessary to extensive farming, and each
year farmed many hundreds of acres of land. But in spite of close application
the venture did not prove a success and he disposed of his property and in
1873 went to Hollister, where he engaged in the hotel business.

Fatalities seemed to follow Mr. Fry in close succession, for in 1875 the
Bank of California, in which he had his account, failed and he found himself
ruined financially. At this time he proved what a dauntless spirit and a
courageous heart will do to help an individual retrieve his losses. He came
to Bakersfield in the fall of 1876 and became connected with the early




^^^^^^^.^^^^



HISTORY t)l- KICRX COLXTV 10U5

operations of the Kern County Land Coni[)any, then known as the llaggin
& Larr Company. He worked under the superintendency of Mr. Carr lor
several years and in 1879 became superintendent of the Kosedale ranch,
north of Bakersfield, which consisted of many sections. In 1884 he pur-
chased a half section of land near Rosedale and began farming for himself.

Mr. Fry was a consistent Democrat in politics and in fraternal circles
was a Royal Arch Mason, at the time of his death being the second oldest
Mason in the state of California. His death occurred in Coalinga April 6,



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 100 of 177)