Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 113 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 113 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


He belongs to the A\'oodmen of the World, and is a Democrat.

MICHEL ANSOLABEHERE.— Mr. Ansolabehere in early life made
himself helpful at the old home farm near Baigorry, Basses Pyrenees, France,
where he was born March 5, 1871, and where the first twenty years of his
busy existence were uneventfully passed, in a round of farm duties and
school work. A desire to see something of the world and to try his fortunes
in California led him to leave his old home in the foothills of the Pyrenees
mountains. Crossing the ocean, he arrived in Kern county in December.
1891, and without difficulty found employment as a herder of sheep. In the
same year as himself there also came to Kern county his brother, Gratian,
who was born in France in 1868 and who since 1895 has been intimately
associated with the younger brother in stock-raising and agricultural activi-
ties. By his marriage to Clara Aharabide, also a native of France, he has
three children, Marie, John and Babe.

After he had worked for different sheepmen about four years, Michel
Ansolabehere bought a flock of sheep and engaged in business in part-
nership with his brother, Gratian, since which time the two have co-operated
in their enterprise. It was their custom to summer their flocks, comprising
from four to six thousand head, in Mono county, from which place they
brought them down to Buena \'ista lake and other favorable points to feed
through the winter. During 1909 the two brothers bought in the Rosedale
district three hundred and twenty acres eight miles northwest of Bakersfield,
under the Beardsley canal, and since then they have put the property under
cultivation to alfalfa. During 1913 they disposed of their sheep in order
to give their entire time to the raising of hay for the market. Neat buildings
have been erected on the half-section and the large tract shows the thrift,
intelligence and constant care of the owners. In politics ixith lirothers vote
with the Republican party. The younger brother married in East Bakersfield
in 1909 Miss Mariana Ir'ulegy, who was born in .-Mdudes. Basses-Pyrenees,
France, and by win m he has two children, Margaret and John

CORNELIUS DUNNE.— Born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1861, Cor-
nelius Dunne attended the national schools and learned carpentering. .'\t the
age of twenty years he left the old home and crossed the ocean to America,
where for a year he w^orked in Boston, Mass., meanwhile being employed
in the Tremont hotel. .\t the expiration of the twelve months he came



1140 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

west and entered the railroad service, his first work of that kind being in
a roundhouse at Needles. A )'ear later the Southern Pacific Company
built into Needles and he secured a position in the department of bridge-
building. About 1884 he was transferred to Mojave and here he has smce
remained. At the time of his arrival very few buildings had been put
up at this point and he has witnessed the steady growth of the equipment
here. For two and one-half years he was employed as car-repairer, after
which he served as inspector of trains for seven years. Next he was
made foreman of gangs and in 1910 he became car foreman, which position
has since taken all of his time.

With judicious economy Mr. Dunne has saved his earnings, investing
them in California property, so that now he is the owner of two houses in
Mojave, one hundred and sixty acres of fine farm land in the fertile and
famous Weed Patch of Kern county and a walnut grove of twenty .acres
near Anaheim, Orange county, these various properties representing his
own unaided efforts to attain independence. In politics he has been
staunch in his allegiance to the Republican party. After coming to Kern
county he was married at Keene to Miss Mary O'Meara, a native of San
Francisco and a sister of P. J. O'Meara, represented elsewhere in this
volume. The Dunne family comprises five children, namely: Catherine,
Dennis, Margaret, Francis and Eugene. The eldest is a graduate of the
Los Angeles Normal, class of 1913, and the second is a graduate of the
1913 class in the Fresno high school. Margaret is attending the Sisters'
School in Los Angeles and Francis is a pupil in the Fresno high school,
while the youngest son is a pupil in the local schools.

LEWIS H. LARSON.— The proprietor of the Home Transfer & Stor-
age Company, who has been a citizen of East Bakersfield since November
of 1901, claims Missouri as his native commonwealth and was born at St.
Joseph, Buchanan county, December 19, 1858, being a son of Kittel T. and
Mary (Kennard) Larson, the latter a native of Louisville, Ky., and the former
of Norwegian birth and ancestry. After having learned the trade of black-
smith in his native country the father migrated to the new world at the
age of twenty years and soon settled on a farm near St. Joseph, Mo., where
in addition to tilling the soil and raising stock he devoted considerable at-
tention to his chosen occupation. A building on the farm was utilized as a
shop and farmers from all directions came there to avail themselves of his
skill in repair work and in horse-shoeing. Eventually he retired from the
farm and established a home in St. Joseph, where he died at the age of sev-
enty-three years, having survived his wife, who was fifty-six at the time
of her demise. Of their five children the third, Lewis H., was reared on the
home farm and attended country schools. After he had completed the com-
mon-school branches of study he devoted his entire time to farm work.
When the family removed to the city of St. Joe he engaged in the teaming
business. Three years later he became the proprietor of the Red Tank oil
line and conducted a retail oil business for four years, after which for five
years he carried on a retail milk business as proprietor of the Globe dair}-
in his home town.

Upon leaving Missouri for California and settling in Kern (now East
Bakersfield), Mr. Larson secured employment in the boiler-shop of the
Southern Pacific Railroad Companv, with which company he continued for
three and one-half years. Upon resigning the position he embarked in the
dairy business. In order to have ample space for the industry he bought
three blocks of ground and eleven lots on East Nile street, where he operated
the Kern dairy for five years. At the expiration of that period he sold the
dairy herd and closed out the business. Next he became interested in the
transfer business under the title of the Home Transfer Company. Later



HISTORY OF KKRN COUNTY 1143

he houpht the interests of the Hume Transfer & Storag^e Company, under
which name the business since has been conducted. Near his residence
at No. 1600 Nile street he has built a storage warehouse with ample facilities
for the storage of furniture consigned to him by patrons. For business
purposes he keeps three wagons in steady use and at this writing maintains
his office in his home. Much of the original acreage has been sold, but he
still retains one block of land and therefore has sufficient room for all the
demands of the business.

While living at St. Joe, Mo., Mr. Larson married Miss Vetiira L. Moore,
a native of that city and there deceased. Three children survive of that
marriage, namely: Mrs. Lulu Lee Roden, of East Bakersfield ; Nora E.,
wife of O. P. Coats, of Fresno; and George S., who is employed as a driver
in the transfer business. By his marriage to Miss Christina Olson, who
died in St. Joe, Mr. Larson is the father of one son, Andrew K. His present
wife, whom he married at St. Joe in 1898, was formerly Mrs. Debbie (Shaffer)
Etzweiler, a native of New BufTalo, Perry county. Pa., and a daughter of
Benjamin and Marj' (Radel) Shaffer, also natives of the Keystone state.
During the Civil war Mr. ShafYer served as a private in a Pennsylvania regi-
ment and was wounded in an engagement, .\fter having engaged in farm-
ing in Pennsylvania for some years in 1876 he removed to Kansas and
settled on a farm, but later followed the trade of shoemaker at Ellsworth.
From Kansas he came to California and briefly sojourned at East Bakers-
field, thence went to Long Beach, where he died at eighty-one years of
age. His wife had died in Pennsylvania, leaving four children, two of whom
now survive. The youngest child of that union was Debbie, who in Kansas
became the wife of Jacob I. Etzweiler, a carpenter and builder by trade.
Mr. Etzweiler was born at Millersburg. Dauphin county. Pa., and died in
Texas, leaving the widow and six children. Four of the children survive,
namely: Mrs. Katherine E. Johnson, of East Bakersfield; Minnie, a grad-
uate nurse living at Coffeyville, Montgomery county. Kan.; Harry, now
at Maricopa. Cal. ; and Jacob, who is emnloyed at Oil Center. Mrs. Larson
has been actively identified with the Ladies of the Maccabees, Pythian
Sisters. Rebekahs and Fraternal Aid, while IMr. Larson holds membership
with the Knights of Pythias, Fraternal Brotherhood and Pythian .Sisters In
politics he upholds Democratic principles.

FRED W. CRAIG.— IMr. Craig was born in New York City, June 25, 1826.
a son of Archiliald and Ann (Coffin) Craig, natives of New Jersey and of New
York state, descendants respectively from Scotch and from English ancestors.
They both lived out their days and passed away in New York City. The
father was long cashier of the Chemical Bank of New York. All of their
seven children are deceased. Fred \V. Craig began his education in New York
City and when he was twelve years old w-ent to Monmouth county, N. J., to
live with an uncle. Later he became a clerk in a store and thus gained an
intimate knowledge of the mercantile business. In 1848 he went to Spring-
field. 111., where in 1852 he was a salesman in the hardware store of Mr.
Pease, his uncle. Responding to the lure of gold, he turned his face toward
California. Sailing from New York on the Ozark, he came around the
Horn to San Francisco, the vessel putting in at Rio for repairs, and landed
in July, 1853. From San Francisco he went to Placerxille, which tow-n was
then known by the not euphonious but accurately descriptive name of Hang-
town. After a short time we find him in Sacramento, where he was a clerk
in a commission house eighteen months. Next he established himself at
Indian Diggings. Eldorado county, as a merchant, where for two years he
sold goods that were hauled into the camp from San Francisco. In 1857 he
became proprietor of a restaurant at Oroville. which he continued with suc-
cess for two years. Tn 1861 he made his first trip to Kern cmmty. After a



1144 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

short stay there he tarried briefly in Tulare county, then returned to San
Francisco. Late in that year until deep snow he was a clerk in a store at
Caribou. Later he was variously employed until 1864, when he took up his
residence in Kernville. where he was employed in general merchandising
as a clerk until 1866. In this year he established a store on Kern river, near
Kernville, which in 1870 he removed to Havilah. Meantime, in 1868, he
had been elected to serve three years as supervisor. He was re-elected in
1871 and in 1873 he resigned to take the office of county clerk, which he
assumed in March, 1874, about a month after the county seat was located at
Bakersfield. Before the close of the year last mentioned his store was
burned down. In 1875 and again in 1877 he was re-elected county clerk,
in which oiifice he served continuously six years. He was for some years
postmaster of old Kern, but resigned the place to accept the office of justice
of the peace for the third judicial township, which he ably filled for two
terms. In 1894 he was recalled to the office of county clerk, by election on
the Republican ticket, and assumed its duties in January, 1893, and served
until January, 1899. From then until his death he was engaged in the real
estate and insurance business, holding a commission as notary public. He had
been a citizen of East Bakersfield since 1875 and built his fine house there in
the summer of that year. In politics he was a Republican. Fraternally he
affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He married, at
Havilah, Miss Hava M. Crosby, a native of Illinois and also a pioneer of Kern
county of 1851. Their daughter, Anna M., is librarian at the East Bakersfield
branch of the Beale Memorial Library.

JESSE ROY ROGERS.— When the first adventurous emigrants crossed
the ocean from Great Britain and landing in Virginia planted the English
flag on a spot which they named Jamestown in honor of their king, there
was among the number a gallant young Englishman bearing the family name
of Rogers. From the time of the settlement of Jamestown in 1607 through
the more than three centuries following, his descendants have been loyal to
America and brave in the defence of their country in war. During the Revo-
lutionary struggle several of the name were in the army, among them the
great grandfather of Isaiah Rogers, whose grandfather was a soldier in the
war of 1812, while his father went to the front during the Mexican conflict.
He himself, of Kentuckian birth, nevertheless opposed slavery and felt so
strongly in favor of the LTnion cause that he left his native commonwealth
to take up arms for the north. Relatives were of southern sympathies and
friends also joined the Confederacy, but he persisted in his course, althougti
deeply regretting the estrangement that necessarily followed. Some time
after the war had come to an end he established his home in Louisville, Ky.,
where his son, Jesse Roy, was born on New Year's day of 1875. Removing
to Missouri in 1879, he established the family on a farm near St. Louis.
Eventually he retired from agricultural pursuits and settled in Carthage, Mo.,
where he now makes his home. By his marriage with Miss Nancy Davis,
he became allied with an old southern family early resident in South Caro-
lina, although her birth had occurred in Alabama. The Davis family traces
its genealogy back to the Grahams, of well-known Scotch-Irish lineage.

Among eight children comprising the family of Isaiah Rogers and of
whom five are still living, Jesse Roy Rogers was third in order of birth,
and he was six years of age at the time the family removed from Kentucky
to Missouri. It was in the latter commonwealth therefore that he received
his education. When fourteen years of age he left school and began to serve
as an apprentice to Robert Graham, a plasterer in Kansas City, with whom
he continued for five years, meanwhile learning every branch of the busi-
ness. On the conclusion of his apprenticeship he worked as a journeyman in
Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Omaha and Denver. By persistent efifort



HISTORY OF KERX COl^NTY 1147

he became an expert in his occuiiation. The deinaiul for high-class work-
men in Los Angeles led him to establish himself in that city during UW,
after which he devoted several months to filling contracts in that city. One
of his most important contracts in that city was the plastering of the Chamber
of Commerce building. Removing to Long Beach in 1901 he at once took a
merited position among the leading men in his line, .\mong his principal
contracts in that place were those for the Long Beach National Bank, the
First National Bank of Long Beach, the City National Bank, Carnegie
Library and Kennebec hotel. A great number of smaller jobs kept him
busily occupied in the same locality until 1907, when he began to follow his
trade in and near San Diego. Coming to Bakersfield in March, 1909, he
entered upon occupative tasks in this city and in Kern count)', where he had
the contracts for the plastering of the Elks building, the New Southern
Annex, the Brower building, Redlick building, Manly apartments, Koesel
hotel, Morgan building, Russ residence, Manual Training school. Morrow
& Barnett building, and numerous other structures in Bakersfield, besides the
schoolhouse in Alaricopa and other contracts at points near to his home city.
In 1912 he branched out into general contracting in partnership with loseph
E. Yancey, and the firm of Yancey & Rogers have built the Fellows high
school annex, have plastered the Bakersfield Club building and have remod-
eled the City Hall. LTpon fhe organization of the Builders' Exchange he
became a charter member and one of the directorate, besides which he has
officiated as second vice-president. While living in Kansas City he met and
married Miss Cora Gray, a native of Illinois, and with her and their only
child, Albert Edison, he has established a comfortable home in Bakersfield.

EMMETT L. HAYES.— The general manager of the large business in
Bakersfield conducted under the title of Hayes & Murray belongs to an
old southern family and is himself a native of the south, born at \Iurfrees-
boro, Tenn., August 28, 1882, being a son of the late Thomas and ]\Iar-
garetta (Burgess) Hayes. The former, born in North Carolina, became a
resident of Tennessee in early life and identified himself with agricultural
pursuits there, continuing in the same locality until death. After removing
to that commonwealth he had married Miss Burgess, a native of Tennessee
and a lifelong resident of the state. They became the parents of ten chil-
dren who attained maturity, but only five of these are now living and only
one, Emmett L., the next to the youngest, has established a home in Cali-
fornia. After he had completed the studies of the countr\' schools he was
sent for one term to the Baptist University at Murfreesboro and at the
age of fifteen left school and home to begin the battle of self-su[)port. .\s
a clerk with the Mayo Grocery Company at Dresden, Tenn., he gained his
first experience in business. That his services were satisfactory appears
in the fact that Mr. Mayo toc^k him to Mayfield, Ky., and upon the estab-
lishment of the firm of McEllrath, Brooks & Mayn made iiirn cashier of
the department store.

The work was congenial and the returns satisfactory, but Mr. Hayes
found the constant confinement to the cashier's desk altogether too great
a strain upon his health and he resigned in 1901, coming to California and
securing a temporary position with J. J- Owen & Co., in San Bernardino.
For a brief period he also clerked in a grocerydwned by Feetham & McNeill.
The year 1502 found him in Bakersfield, where for eighteen months he held
a position with Dinklespeil Brothers, grocers. Next he entered the grocery
department of Hochheimer & Co. Upon resigning that place he removed
to Madera and became manager of the grocery department of Rosenthal-
Kuttner Company, but in a few months came back to Bakersfield to serve as
manager of the grocery department of Hochheimer & Co. During .\pril
of 1907 he purchased 'from Tipton Mathews the first and only grocery



1148 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

business in Wasco, where he not only conducted mercantile pursuits, but
also acted as postmaster. With P. A. Murray as partner, in 1909 he opened
a grocery in Bakersfield. For a few months he ran the two stores, but in
the autumn of 1909 he disposed of the store at Wasco, and since then has
devoted his entire time to the management of the Bakersfield establishment.
Starting in business with groceries exclusively, the firm later added a com-
plete line of hardware and now have in stock not only these two lines, but
also paints and oils, roofing and fencing. The location of the store on
I street between Nineteenth and Twentieth streets is sufficiently central to
be easy of access to all its customers and it enjoys the patronage of a large
number of city people, besides a goodly contingent from the country.

The Ashton Baking Company, organized in 1912, with the firm of Hayes
& Murray aa owners of one-half interest, under the management of Mr.
Hayes has built up a successful patronage, equipped a new shop and ovens
and turns out an excellent product that finds a ready sale in increasing
quantities. The supervision of the two separate lines of business keeps
the manager busily occupied, but he nevertheless finds leisure for active
participation in the Kern County Board of Trade and served for three years
as a member of its executive committee. In addition he keeps well posted in
the policies of the Republican party, which he supports with ballot and
influence. Made a Mason in Delano Lodge, F. & A. M., he was raised to
the Royal Arch chapter in Bakersfield, where also he has identified himself
with the Elks and Woodmen of the World. At Visalia, in April of 1907,
he married Miss Mamie Murray, a native of Tulare county, this state, and
a daughter of P. A. and Henrie L. (Hess) Murray, the former a pioneer
engineer on the Southern Pacific Railroad and also a member of the firm of
Hayes & Murray. Mr. and Mrs. Hayes are the parents of two children,
Thelma Vivian and Jack Murray. The family live at No. 317 Eighteenth
street, in the Kruse tract, Bakersfield, where they own a recently completed
and attractive residence. He is a director in the Colorado Pacific Land
Company, the owners, platters and improvers of Kruse tract, one of the
finest residence portions of the city.

WILLIAM WALLACE.— Inventive ability of a high order would
have brought worldly fame and material prosperity to Mr. Wallace had not
his career been cut short by untimel}' death when he was forty-one years
of age. Notwithstanding his passing ere he had reached the zenith of his
powers he left behind him a reputation for inventive skill based upon inven-
tions that now are in constant use. As a machinist his skill was so great
that man)' considered him a genius. From childhood he had the faculty of
grasping the intricate details of any piece of mechanism and to him more
pleasing than the usual sports of youth was the success with which he
could put together the numerous parts of a machine into working order.
As is common with men of his type, he had his discouragements and reverses,
but he never allowed failure to depress him or to retard even momentarily
his enthusiastic labors upon his patents. Evidence of his ability and of the
successful business supervision of his widow appears now in the Wallace
Pump Works, located at No. 718 Twentieth street, Bakersfield, where are
manufactured some of his most important inventions.

Born in Pennsylvania in 1869, apprenticed in youth to the trade of a
machinist near Pittsburg, and removing to California about 1900, Mr.
Wallace first secured employment as an expert machinist in the Bakersfield
iron works, and later, as superintendent of the machine department for
Reed Brothers, engaged in the manufacture of the Parker pump on Chester
avenue. After a time he went to the Kern river oil field and started a
machine shop, but the venture had a disastrous termination, and in one
year he returned to Bakersfield to start anew. Here he opened a machine



HISTORY OF KI:R\ CorX'I-V 1140

shop on Twentieth street, where he ent^aj^ed in reh(irin



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 113 of 177)