Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 132 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 132 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

The grandfather of David E. Thomson was a native of Kilmarnock,
Scotland. In the public schools of Piano our subject received his edu-
cational training. Upon leaving school he druve stage from Visalia
into White River for some years until he reached his majority, when he went
into the cattle business on Deer Creek in Tulare county. In 1894 he left his
home place and made his way to Lone Pine, Inyo county, where he followed
the cattle business for two years, at which time he came to Randsburg, Kern
county, as one of the first settlers, in October of 1896. He took a position
with the Yellow Aster Mining Company with whom he remained for a short
time. However, he was not the man to be satisfied with working for others,
and he branched out for himself, locating in the Struger district, where he
remained for about ten years engaged in mining. For four years he worked
for a wholesale liquor concern, but finally gave that up to devote his time to
his own interests. At present he is one of the proprietors of the Houser
hotel at Randsburg, and he also has some mining property, all of which is a
source of income for him, which is extremely gratifying. .Aside from the
hotel business he is agent for the Bakersfield Brewing Company. Since No-
vember, 1912. he has been conducting a meat market in Randsburg; also a
retail ice business.

As a public-spirited and interested citizen Mr. Thomson has served his
adopted town as constable, and also as deputy sheriff, and his services have
been most satisfactory to his fellow-citizens. He is a popular member of the
Fraternal Order of Eagles, and his name is well-known in that locality as
that of a reliable, conscientious man. Politicallv he is a Republican.

]\lr. Thomson was married February 12. 1908, in Los Angeles, to Sadie
Nieto, who was born in Los Angeles, and they have two children, Ploomey
Jane and Edward. Mrs. Thomson's parents were of old Southern California
families and the town and valley of Los Nietos were named for her father, he


being the owner of a very large landed estate; his death, however, occurred
when he was still a young man.

E. R. LONG. — The growing business interests of Bakersfield have a
capable representative in E. R. Long, who for some years has conducted a
wholesale hay and grain business with office in the Fish block. Since coming
to this section of the state he has formed a wide acquaintance among the
farmers of the San Joaquin valley, from whom he buys hay and grain in large
quantities for shipment to his customers in Los Angeles and elsewhere. Ship-
ments are made in carload lots, the cars being filled at various stations along
the line of the railroad, thus affording the utmost convenience to the farmers
who deliver the product and enabling them to avoid the annoyance of long
hauls. In other instances, when the hay is purchased in the bulk. Mr. Long
himself attends to the matter of baling and hauling, and these large interests
make him a very busy man indeed during certain seasons of the year. As a
commission man he has proved resourceful, energetic and industrious, and by
integrity in all transactions has won the steady patronage (if a large number
of customers.

Allen county, Ohio, is Mr. Long's native place, and he was born near
Lima, January 7, 1875, being a son of M. H. and Clara A. (Cochran) Long,
the latter of whom passed away many years ago. The father, who engaged
in the hay business in Ohio for many years, came to California about 1908
and is now living retired in Los Angeles. E. R., who was the eldest child in
the family, has an own brother and one half-brother living. When not in
school he assisted his father in the hay business and thus early acquired a
thorough knowledge of the industry now engaging his attention. At the age
of nineteen years he came to California and settled in Los Angeles, where
during 1895 and 1896 he was in the hay commission business. Later other
business enterprises commanded his time and gave him the training essential
to successful business activities. When he came to Bakersfield in 1903 he
embarked in the wholesale commission business with E. H. Loveland as a
partner and gave personal supervision to the hay business of the firm. After
five years in the co-partnership he retired from the firm in order to establish a
business of his own, and since then he has maintained an office in the old Fish
building in Bakersfield. but spends much of his time in various parts of the
valley buying hay and baling it for the markets of the city.

The marriage of Air. Long took place in 1905 and united him with Aliss
Minnie B. Painter, of Los Angeles, by whom he has three children, Helen
Anita and Orley Delbert, and a baby girl yet unnamed. In political views he
votes the Republican ticket, but never exhibited any partisanship in his opin-
ions, on the contrary placing a genuine public spirit ahead of narrow partisan
strife. From early life he has been interested in religious afifairs and now is
a leading member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Bakersfield.
Here, as well as in his former home in Los Angeles, the church has had the
benefit of his sincere interest, generous contributions and unwavering devo-
tion. He is trustee of the official board and the Sunday school superintendent,
which latter position he has faithfully held for the last eight years.

JOSEPH BAUMGARTNER, SR.— The founder and first president of
the Bakersfield Brewing Companv was born in Koetzing, Bavaria, Germany,
February 19. 1859, and died at his home in Bakersfield April 2, 1912, at the
age of fifty-three years. As a boy in his native land he served an appren-
ticeship to the brewers' trade and gained noteworthy skill in the occupation,
so that when he crossed the ocean to the new worlcl he experienced no diffi-
culty in securing steady employment. After a sojourn in New York City
he went to the then new district of Winnipeg, Canada, where he held a
position as brewmaster in the Drewry brewery. Removing from Canada to
Pennsylvania he worked as a brewmaster in Allegheny and was a trusted
employe of the large concern operated by Hiple}' & Son. Meanwhile he had


been utilizing every experience so that he might cinalify himself fur inde-
pendent business undertakings and when he went to Latrobe, I'a., in 1893,
he built the Latrobe brewery, which later he sold to a syndicate, operating
under the title of the Pittsburg Brewing Company. The venture had l)een
profitable and he had laid the foundation of a substantial fortune during his
Pennsylvania experiences. His next enterprise took him to Iowa, where he
built a brewery in Sioux City and conducted the same under the title of the
Sioux City Brewing Company until he sold in 1899 at a gratifying profit.

When the Iowa venture had been brought to a successful consumma-
tion Mr. Baumgartncr went to New jersey and built a brewery- at Camden.
This likewise proved a profitable investment and during 1910 he sold for
a sum that represented large returns for his capital and labor. Imme-
diately afterward he came to California and settled in Bakersfield, where he
purchased a desired site on Twenty-fourth street and there erected a brew-
ery with a capacity of thirty thousand barrels per annum. The plant repre-
sents an investment of $300,000 and the product, known as the Lion brew,
was put on the Bakersfield market for the first time Ma}- 2, 1912, since which
time it has leaped into great popularity.

The Bakersfield brewery was from its start equipped with every appli-
ance and improvement that modern science could suggest, including two
electrically driven boilers of one hundred horse-power each ; fourteen chip
casks of one hundred and ten barrels each ; fourteen stock tubs of one hun-
dred and eighty-five barrels each ; twelve fermenting tubs of one hundred and
ten barrels each, and the capacity of the outfit is one hundred and twenty
barrels to a brew.

In the refrigerating room ten new chip-casks, with a capacity of one
hundred and fifty barrels apiece, are now being installed, while the bottling
department has added a Xational soaker of the Berry-Wehlmiller make, with
a capacity of one hundred barrels per day, said machine insuring the highest
possible sanitary service. The bottles are soaked in two separate antiseptic
solutions and twice rinsed in hot water, after which they are taken to the
new Eick washer, where they are thoroughly scrubbed by a most ingenious
mechanism. Being thus thoroughly cleansed and rinsed, the bottles are
next filled by means of a new Henes-Keller rotary counter pressure filling
machine, and promptly corked by means of a "Jumbo" crowner. The prod-
uct is then treated to a thorough pasteurizing process, and finally labelled by
means of a new Ermold labeling machine. Thus the whole process of
bottling is done by a complete set of the latest and most approved machinery
built for that purpose, in the most cleanly and sanitary manner which busi-
ness ingenuity has thus far been able to devise. The company's large and
constantly increasing trade has necessitated the use of two new auto trucks
of one and one-half and three tons capacity respectively.

The most skilled brewers are employed and the best of ingredients are
utilized, the aim being the highest stage of perfection possible. The insti-
tution is destined to become an important factor in the future development
of the city. Much of the material used will be produced in Kern county, so
that farmers will be benefited. However, some of the hops will be imported
from Bavaria and Bohemia, these varieties being essential in the manufacture
of their beer. A well ninety-three feet deep has been driven on the premises,
which is pumped at the rate of one hundred and seventy-five gallons a min-
ute. Employment is furnished to about thirty persons. The company was
incorporated for $200,000, with the following officers: Joseph Baumgartner,
Sr., president; John Baumgartner, vice-president; William Baumgartner,
treasurer ; and Joseph Baumgartner, Jr., secretary. The death of the founder
in no respect changed the plans of the institution, for John and William for
years have been practical brewers, while Joseph, Jr., has been thoroughly
familiar with everv detail of the office work. There has been, therefore, no


essential change in the management since the death of the founder of the

The marriage of Joseph Baumgartner, Sr., united him with Miss Mar-
garet Brautigam, a native of Bavaria, and now a resident of Bakersfield.
Eight children comprise the family, namely: Joseph, Jr., John, William,
George, Rose, Anna, Charles and Margaret.

PATRICK LAMB. — Descended from an honored eastern family Patrick
Lamb was born at Mount Clemens, Alich., June 11, 1869, and is a son
of the late Frank and Mary (Feller) Lamb, the former of whom, an attorney
well known among professional men in Mount Clemens and also widely
acquainted in Kentucky, passed away about 1898 after a long and successful
career as a lawyer. After his decease the widow went to Kansas to make
her home. A lady of culture and education, she had made a specialty of the
study of music in girlhood and for years was recognized among the most
skilled and proficient musicians in Mount Clemens. The family comprised
five sons and one daughter, viz.: Patrick, Charles C, Hugh B., Frank C,
Ralph and Mamie, the last-named being a trained nurse residing in St. Louis.

After having completed the studies of the grammar and high schools of
his native city, Patrick I^amb started out to make his own way in the world.
When seven:een years of age he found employment in the Lima oil field in
Ohio, where he worked his way up from roustabout to tool dresser. Succes-
sively he was employed in the. fields at Findlay, Signet and Bowling Green,
Ohio. From that state he went over into West Virginia and engaged in
drilling at Sistersville. A desire to see more of the world led him to Kansas,
where he had considerable experience in the Neodesha oil fields. Returning
to Ohio, he resumed work at one of the oil centers in that state. The same
industry took him to Bartlesville, Okla., in the boom period of that oil center.
At different times he engaged in other oil fields, principally in the Caddo
field in Louisiana. Again going to Oklahoma, he resumed work at Bartles-
ville, and also made brief sojourns at Cleveland, Nowater, and Kiefer. Im-
mediately after coming to California early in 1908 he secured employment in
Kern county, where he has engaged successively as driller on the Santa Fe
lease, with the Consolidated ]\Iidway and Western Minerals for one year
each, with the Gate City for five months, the Sunset Extension for seven
months, and lastly with the Miocene, where at present he is retained in the
capacity of driller.

GEORGE W. SHAFFER.— A member of an old eastern family, G. W.
Shaft'er was born October 19, 1881, at Cumberland, Md., also the birthplace
of his father, Conrad, while his mother, Alice, also claimed Maryland as her
native commonwealth. When yet a mere infant he was taken by his parents
into a timber and mountainous region about twelve miles west of Cumber-
land, and there the father secured employment in connection with the running
of a sawmill. Later, however, the parents removed to a farm and took up
agricultural pursuits, which they have since followed in the vicinity of Cum-
berland. Besides their only son, who was the youngest child, thev had three
daughters, Jessie May, Cora Jeanette and Clara Belle. From childhood the
son exhibited an inclination toward mechanical work. One of his favorite
pastimes was the making of wooden models for engines. Any department of
mechanics became a hobby with him. His first practical experience was
gained while operating the engine in the saw-mill for the W. C. White Lum-
ber Company. At the age of twenty-one he became an apprentice in the
Westinghouse shops at East Pittsburg, Pa., where he won the good-will of
the foreman and gradually worked his way out of the ranks of unskilled

An idea of the remarkable exactness demanded by the shop superinten-
dents of their workmen may be cained from the statement that, while varia-
tions of one-fourth of .001 would be allowed to pass, any greater variation


would not be accepted and the workman must take up the task asjain. While
at times this extreme accuracy seemed needless, in the main every worker in
the shops saw the justice of the demand and strove with painstaking care to
bring his work up to the mark of |icrfcction. Such training was nf invaluable
aid to Mr. Shaft'er then and has assisted him in later positions, causing him to
discharge every duty with unfailing accuracy. After he had spent five busy
and helnful years in the W'estiiighonse shops he entered the employ of the
Union Switch and Signal Company at Swissvale, Pa., but resigned his posi-
tion at the expiration of six months in order to come to California. On the
6th of May. 1908, he arrived in San Francisco and there he was engaged to
enter the employ of the Los Angeles Aqueduct Company at Mojave, this
state. For two years he worked as a machinist with the construction corps
at Mojave, his leading jobs being the repairing of steam shovels, gas engines,
concrete mixers and automobiles. Upon leaving that place he came to the
oil fields near Maricopa and entered upon his duties as machinist with the
Monte Cristo Oil and Development Company in the Sunset field at Maricopa.
Since coming to this locality and engaging in his present position, November
11. 1911, he has had charge of all work in a mechanical line upon the two
Monte Cristo leases at Maricopa and Kern river, besides which he is pre-
pared tn do outside job work.

PARKER BARRETT.— As the original Ijcator of sectinn twenty-five, on
which the well-known gusher I.akevicw appeared, Parker Barrett became
prominent in the oil fields in Kern county, but he has been identified with va-
rious industries throughout the west in which he has evidenced his keen
business judgment and unquestionable integrity in whatever he finds at hand.
His enterprise has taken him into the fields of mining, railroading, contracting
and building, and the automobile business as well as the oil industry, and
his vast experience in these lines has served him in good stead in his de-
cisions and movements. His father, Uriah, a native of Ohio and of old Quaker
family, was a pioneer in Jasner county, Iowa, owning the original site of
Grinnell, that state, where Parker Barrett was born September 3, 1860.
However, Uriah Barrett returned to Ohio and located in Belmont county until
1866, when he removed to Marshall county, Kans.. and settled at Barrett, o-i
Vermilion creek, where he passed away. His wife was Nancy Beall, a native of
old \'irginia, whose death occurred in Ixansas. Six of their seven children
are surviving them. Parker being the third youngest and the only one of the
family living on the coast.

From the age of six Parker Barrett lived on his father's farm at Barrett,
Kans.. and attended the local schools. When eighteen he went to Nevada
to follow mining and stock ranging for two years, and then returned to Kan-
sas to remain a year. The year 1884 brought him to California and he soon
made his way to Kern county, and in Caliente entered the bridge and building
department of the Southern Pacific railroad. One year later he went to the
mines in Piute, wdiere he spent a year and then, in 1886 went on to Tulare,
where he again entered the employ of the Southern Pacific, serving this time as
fireman on the run between Tulare and Bakersfield and north to Lathrop.
In 1889 he was promoted to engineer and in this capacity drove the engine
between these same points, but the railroad union trouble in 1894 influenced
him to give up railroading and for two years he mined in northern California
in Shasta and Trinity counties. The inauguration of the oil industry in Kern
county caused him to cfime back to Bakersfield and in 1900 he made a loca-
tion on 25 Hill and succeeded in getting a well under way, when he sold out
and engaged in contracting and building in Bakersfield. In 1906, when the
Standard Oil Company began the construction of their pipe line on the west
side, he located there and continued in the contracting and Iiuilding business,
making his headquarters at Maricopa. In this business Mr. Barrett was asso-
ciated with J. M. Dunn, they making a specialty of rig building until Mr.


Barrett sold out his interests to his partner. In 1908 he began locating oil
iands in partnership with Messrs. Freed, Dunn & Stroud, the company locating
on fractional 25, 34 and 8 and fractional 30, building rigs on a large scale.
Later they sold their improvements to the Lakeview Oil Company, leasing
their property to them, with the result that the world-renowned gusher made
its appearance. Associated with Messrs. Dunn, McReynolds & Derby, Mr.
Barrett also located sections 24, 26, 14, 12, 2, 4 and 8 in Buena Vista Hills,
which were leased to Captain Mattson, now the Honolulu Consolidated Oil
Co. Valuable wells have been struck and the property is considered the best
oil holdings on the west side, as there is a production of gas as well as oil and
they are now the greatest natural gas producers in the state of California.
Mr. Barrett is now associated with J. M. Dunn in the M and F Garage under
the firm name of J. M. Dunn Auto Company and he is serving as vice presi-
dent. They handle the Overland, Stutz and Marion cars and the business
has shown rapid increase since the organization.

Along with his many business interests Mr. Barrett is largely interested
in the Bank of Maricopa, and with his investments and oil property has be-
come a well-to-do man. He married in Bakersfield Miss Oma Dover, a native
of California, who bore him three children, Percy M., Gladys E. and Thelma.
Socially he is a member of the Ijakersfield Club, the Sierra Madre Club of Los
Angeles and the Los Angeles Athletic Club.

FAUSTINO MIER NORIEGA.— Born in Santander, Spain, February
15, 1856, when fifteen years cjld Mr. Noriega left his parents' home and
became errand-boy in a nearby city, but when tired of his work came to Cali-
fornia in 1872, his choice of location being influenced by the fact that his god-
father, Vincent Noriega, lived in Tulare county. The journey here was an event
to the untraveled boy and consumed many weeks, for he immigrated first to
New York, and from there came to the coast by way of the Isthmus of Panama,
reaching San Francisco October 4, 1872. His first experience of importance
was not calculated to impress him favorably with his adopted country, for
upon stepping off the train at Oakland he broke his ankle. Recovering, he was
taken by friends to Visaiia, and in December of the same year he came to
Kern county. By working with his cousin at sheep herding he in time man-
aged to save enough money to take up land on his own responsibility. He
homesteaded eighty acres and pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres just
west of Famoso, which he afterward sold to the Kern County Land Com-
pany. In 1879 he became identified with this company as a sheep driver. In
1882 he entered the employ of Miller & Lux and was foreman of their sheep
department until 1893. During this time his operations as buyer and seller
were conducted on a large scale and he had from thirty to forty men under
his charge. That his services were satisfactory in the extreme is evidenced
from the fact that he remained with the same employer for twelve years.

In December, 1893, Mr. Noriega came to Sumner, now East Bakersfield,
and erected on Sumner street the Ivaria hotel, now called the Noriega, for
which he was obliged to borrow $3,500, and of which he is still the proprietor.
He also erected the new brick hotel Pyrenees on Kern street which cost $9,000,
and besides is the owner of other houses and property in the town. His inter-
est in sheep continued unabated, as for many years he was half owner of about
eight thousand sheep which during the winter were grazed on the plains and
in the summer were driven to the mountains of Inyo and Mono counties. He
owns one hundred and sixty acres at Saco, about eight miles from Bakersfield.
which is devoted to the raising of alfalfa and is under the Beardsley canal, and
besides this he owns range land for his stock. Mr. Noriega was one of the
organizers of the First Bank of Kern and has been a member of the board of
directors and its vice-president from the beginning.

On February 14, 1893, Mr. Noriega married Louise Inda, a native of


Basscs-I'yrcnccs. I'rancc. and tliev ha\c fi\e children, Martha I-cna, Julia,
Christena, Frank and Albert. About 1890 Mr. Xoriega erected a large mod-
ern brick residence on I'.aker and Oregon street which the family now occupy.

JOHN RICHARD WILLIAMS.— An early period in the colonization
of Virginia f(^und the W illiaiiis family associated with the Old Dominion
and Henry i'. Williams was Imni in I'rince William county, that state, being
a .son of John Williams, a lifelong resident of the commonwealth. When a
mere lad the former acquired a thorough knowledge of carpentering and fol-
lowed the same in Washington, D. C, from which city in November of 1848
lie started for California. At that time no news had been received in the east
concerning the discovery of gold, but he had been interested in the west from
the reports of General Fremont containing accounts of its climate and soil.
With the idea of coming west firmly fi.xed in his mind he secured passage on
the steamship Falcon, which left New York December 1, 1848, for the Isthmus
of Panama. There were no passengers bound for California except a few gov-
ernment officials, four missionary clergymen and four young mechanics, he
being one of the latter. When the ship reached New Orleans en route to
Chagris, news of the discovery of gold having reached that point, the ship
was there filled to overflowing with men whose sole object was to hunt for
gold, with no intention of settling permanently in the west. At Panama a
wait of several weeks was necessary before the arrival of the steamship Cali-
fornia, which, crowded to the point of suffocation, finally conveyed the
ardent .Argonauts to San Francisco. Upon landing almost everyone of that
vast throng rushed for the gold diggings, but the young carpenter, who had
brought with him a complete set of tools for cutting down lumber and build-
ing houses, did not swerve from the resolution he had made before he learned

Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 132 of 177)