Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 140 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 140 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Fish & Daggett. Next he spent a year in the employ (jf Captain McKittrick.
Meanwhile he had saved his earnings and thus was enabled to buy twenty
acres in 1895, three years after his arrival in Kern county. The place cost him
51,000 including the water right from the east side canal. I'Yom that invest-
ment he has been able to earn a livelihood from year to year. The older son,
Charles, is a mechanic and farmer living at Salem. Ore. The younger son,
Arthur, is an oil-well driller, now following his trade at Vera Cruz, Mexico.
The only daughter, Katie \'.. is the wife of .A. F. Wilson and lives on a ranch
in Kern county.

H. J. HATH.— Considerations of health brought Mr. Hath to California
when twenty-four years of age and since then he has lived in Kern county.
A native of Michigan, he was born September 1, 1878, in Clinton county,
seven miles north of Lansing and seventy miles east of Grand Rapids. His
father. Tames M., for years a farmer in Clinton county, died there in 190'^*,



1330 ■ HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

and the mother, Lovina (Burdy) Hath, still remains at the old homestead. The
parental family included eight children and of these H. J. was next to the
youngest. Like the other children, he was early taught to aid in the work on
the home farm and during winter months attended a country school. Later
he had the advantage of a course of study in a business college at Lansing.
During 1901 he was united in marriage with Miss Stella M. Dunn, of Shia-
wassee county, Mich., and they have two children, Elno and Thelma.

ReaHzing that he could not hope to live long if he remained in Michigan
he came to California in 1902 and here he has had the satisfaction of com-
pletely regaining his strength and has done well from a business standpoint,
so that he has had no reason to regret his removal to the west. After coming
to this county he worked in the Southern Pacific shops at Kern for seven
months and then came to the Kern river oil fields, where ever since he has
been employed, at first as a day laborer and since August 1, 1911, as fore-
man of the machine shop on the lease of the Kern Trading and Oil Com-
pany. Ever since boyhood he has displayed mechanical ability and has pre-
ferred work with machinery to other forms of labor, so that he finds his
present position congenial and suited to his abilities. In political affiliation Mr.
Hath is a Republican and fraternally he is identified with the Woodmen of
the World. In 1912 he was elected trustee of the Petroleum school district, in
the Kern river field, where is being erected an elegant $10,000 school house,
the finest structure of its kind in the field.

MRS. SARAH GLENN.— One of the early pioneers of California, whose
many experiences of untold hardship and deprivation are often retold to the
many friends and relatives who now surround her, is Mrs. Sarah Glenn,
now making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Morris Borgwardt, of Bakers-
field. She was born November 21, 1835, near Nashville, Tenn., daughter of
Neal and Charity (Hall) Dennis. She was the fifth of her parents' family
of eight children born in Tennessee, three others being born in Texas, and
she was twelve years old when brought to Texas, ox-teams and horses fur-
nishing the means of transportation and travel, and a settlement was made
at Belton, Bell county, that state, where the father followed farming. Mrs.
Glenn was but fourteen when she was married to James Madison Glenn,
who was born in the southwest February 22, 1821. The couple crossed the
plains in wagons drawn by ox-teams to California and her eldest son, John
Glenn, a cattle man at White River, Tulare county, was born on the journey,
which took seven months and three weeks. In this company crossing the
plains, which took place in 1854, were the Dunlap, Arnold and Brite families
and they shared in many exciting and terrible encounters. At the head of
the Gila river, the Glenn band was overtaken by Apache Indians, and it was
only through the kind intervention of Adolph Moore that bloodshed was
averted. However, a member of the band, by name Jim Houston, brother
of Mrs. Dunlap, was shot by the Indians in trying to recover twenty-three
head of horses which had been stolen. The first stop was made at Los
Angeles, where the Glenns remained during 1854-55 and then went to
Visalia, where the year 1856-57 was spent, and later they lived at the upper
crossing of the San Joaquin river. Then returning to Tulare county, they
lived for a year on the Kings river, whence they went to Linn's valley and
later moved to Havilah. Upon their return to Linn's valley they settled
here and Glennville was named after Mr. Glenn, who followed his trade of
blacksmith, building the first shop of that kind in the vicinity. He con-
tinued to follow this trade and conduct the blacksmith shop at Glennville
until his death, which occurred in 1883, and at his death there passed away
one of the most sturdy and energetic pioneers California has ever known.
Six children survived him. John A. is a cattleman at White River, Cal.
Charity became the wife of William Melburne, and now resides at Terra
Bella. William is at Oxnard. Ventura counlv. Virginia Lee is the wife of



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1331

Frank C. Beale, of \'isalia. Xeal is a gardener of Los Angeles. Ftla is the
wife of Morris Corgwardt, of Bakersfield, who is the custodian of the Emer-
son school. Mr. and Mrs. Borgwardt have two children, Sibyl, who is a
freshman in the Bakersfield high school : and Henry Lawton, who is in the
Bakersfield grammar school.

JOHN BRECKENRIDGE BRITE.— The Brite family, of which John
Breckenridge Brite is a member, has been so closely identified with Kern
county, as to give its name to one of that county's fertile valleys, and Brites
Valley has been the center of their industries for many years. \\'hile his
parents were in Southern California, whither they had gone because of ill-
ness in the family, John B. Brite's birth occurred in El Monte, Los Angeles
county, December 20, 1866. He is the son of John M. Brite, the pioneer
settler of the Tehachapi region, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this
publication. John B. Brite received the education afforded by the local
public schools of his vicinity, attending until he was sixteen, when he went
to work for his father, continuing thus until he was twenty-one. For four
years in partnership with his three brothers, he ran the home ranch, and it
was finally divided among them, John B. becoming owner of three luindred
and twenty acres, which he has since cultivated and where he has made his
home, .\side from ranching, Mr. Brite was in the livery and blacksmithing
business in the town of Tehachapi in 1902, but his large land interests
engaged most of his time and he found it necessary to give them his entire
attention. Consequently he disposed of the business and returned to his farm.

]\lr. Brite at present is owner of twelve hundred and eighty acres of
land and has about seven hundred acres of it under cultivation, the produc-
tion of which finds a ready market. It has been proved that the land under
cultivation is well adapted for fruit, vieing with any in the Tehachapi region,
but the chief production on Mr. Brite's land is wheat and barley. He owns
a combined harvester and in connection with his tilling the soil he raises
thoroughbred Poland China hogs, having about four hundred head on his
place. He has some fine cattle, using his father's old brand, the half moon
and capital J.

In January, 1909, Air. Brite was married to Belle Smith, a native of
Pennsylvania, and they have made a pleasant and hospitable home in the
valley.

HENRY SANGUINETTI.— One of the oldest superintendents now op-
erating in the Kern river fields, and one who has seen great changes take
place in this locality, is Henry Sanguinetti, who at present superintends the
works of the Linda Vista, Piedmont and Sesnon Oil Companies, and is man-
ager of the Oakland Water Company, being also superintendent of tlie
Broadway Oil Company.

Mr. Sanguinetti was l)orn in Vallicita. Calaveras county, Cal., where
his father, John Sanguinetti, settled upon coming to America. The latter
was one of the "forty-niners" who were attracted to this part of the world
bv the report of the discovery of gold. Reaching this state, he worked in
the mines and later took up farming, and here he and his estimable wife,
Rosa (Campa) Sanguinetti, lived and raised their family of five children,
four sons and one daughter. The mother is now living, at the age of eighty-
three years, on the old homestead of Calaveras county, where Mr. Sanguin-
etti's three brothers and sister also reside.

Henrv Sanguinetti was born August 16, 186". and his public school
education was supplemented by a course at the Stockton Business College,
from which he was graduated. He worked with a construction gang in
Calaveras and Amador counties, building stamp mills, flumes, hoists and all
structures pertaining to mine operations. In 1886 he came to Kern county
and did repair work on the Long Tom Mine about twenty-five miles north of
Bakersfield, and in 1889 came to Bakersfield to engage as a contractor and



1332 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

builder. It was in the spring of 1900 that he decided to go to Alaska, where
he was employed in building the Snattesham stamp mill, situated about
thirty miles northeast from Juneau. This took him a year, after which he
returned to California, coming direct to the Kern river oil field, having been
sent hither by Frank Littlefield, who operated the Snattesham stamp mill,
and here he has since remained. Mr. Sanguinetti has drilled about thirty-
six wells, and in his work has proven himself a man of great constructive
genius and a capable draftsman.

Before going to Alaska, in 1900, Mr. Sanguinetti was married to Miss
Marie Meinecke, of Vallicita, Cal., whose parents were pioneers of Cala-
veras county, of German descent. Before her marriage she was a teacher
in the schools in her native county, and with her husband has always taken
a deep interest in school affairs. He helped to organize the Toltic school
district, and now serves as clerk of the board of trustees. Mr. and Mrs.
Sanguinetti have three children, Marie, Dorris and Henry, Jr.

Mr. Sanguinetti is a stockholder in the Linda Vista, Piedmont and
Broadway companies, and he now reaps the benefit of his stanch integrity
and unfailing eflfort in their conduct.

JOHN H. AUGSBURGER.— Born and reared in Ohio, John J. Augs-
burger, the father of our subject removed to Indiana, devoted his active
life to agricultural pursuits and died July 8, 1911, at the old homestead.
Surviving him are the widow and six children. The former, who bore the
maiden name of Fannie Hirschy, was born in Indiana, descended from Swiss
forebears, and is still living on the old home farm in her native common-
wealth. The place lies near the eastern Indiana oil fields in the vicinity of
Geneva. The six children are as follows: Rebecca, wife of Charles Tremp,
of VVoodburn, Allen county, Ind. ; Noah, a farmer near Linn Grove, Adams
county, Ind. ; Albert, who is engaged in farming near Bern, Adams
councy, Ind.; Ella, who resides with her mother; John H., who was born
near Linn Grove, Ind., December 11, 1884, and is the only member of the
family to remove from the old home state; and Elmer, who now has charge
of the homestead near Linn Grove. The next to the youngest son com-
pleted his education in the Linn Grove high school, where he took a course of
three years. At the age of seventeen he engaged as a roustabout with the
Standard Oil Company in the Geneva district. After two weeks as a roust-
about he began pumping. From that he rose to be a tool-dresser and then
a driller. Two years were spent in the Casey field, where he worked suc-
cessively for several different companies. For the next two years he worked
in the Glenn Pool field in Oklahoma, and during 1909 came from there to
California, where he worked at Orcutt in the Santa Maria field. A year
later, in 1910, he came to Kern county and for two years drilled in the
vicinity of Maricopa. July 16, 1912, he became connected with the Kern
Trading & Oil Company in the North Midway division of the Sunset field
near Fellows. As lease foreman, with headquarters on section 23, 31-22, he
holds a very responsible position with one of the greatest concerns operat-
ing in this county, and has won the confidence, not only of higher officials
of the corporation, but also of co-workers and other employes, all of whom
unite in testifying as to his ability, intelligence and devotion to duty.

DAN McDonald.— The birth of Mr. McDonald occurred in Boston,
Mass., January 1, 1870, and he received a public-school education in
his native city. During 1893 he became an employe in the shipyards at
Newport News, Va., and later he drifted to the Southwest to identify himself
with the vast region that was drawing on the east for men of energy and
intelligence. For nearly a year, he rode the range in Oklahoma and Indian
Territory for different cattle outfits. After leaving there he drifted into
Montana and followed the same occupation with John Murphy on the
Seventy-Nine Horse Ranch near Billings, but resigned at the time of the
discovery of gold in the Klondike, intending to accompany an expedition to



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 133,^

Xome. However, lie had gone no further than Seattle, when he was taken
seriously ill with pneumonia. When tinnlly he had recovered his health he
went to Butte, Mont., and engaged in mining. Next he engaged in mining at
Brigham, Utah, and from that point proceeded to San Juan, Colo.; thence
to Bland, N. Ale.x., from which place he went to Jerome and Hishee, .\rizona.
Employment in Los Angeles filled the years between 180S and 1902.
During April of the year last named Mr. McDonald came to Mojave, where
ever since he has made his home. I-'or si.x years he followed mining with
the Exposed Treasury Company and the Queen Esther Company, after which
he embarked in the liquor business, becoming proprietor of the Los .\ngeles
House, since which time he has built an annex to the house. In addition he
has erected a cottage in the same block, which he used in connection with the
hotel. In Los Angeles he married Miss Lillie E. Taylor, a native of Eng-
land. By the union he is the father of four children, Lillie, Mabel and Mary,
twins, and Joseph. In politics he always has been stanch in his allegiance to
the Democratic partv. Fraternally he is connected with Bakersfield Lodge
No. 473, L. O. O. M', and also with the Los Angeles Aerie No. 202, F. O. E.
NICK BRITZ is the son of John and Gertrude (Salm) Britz, both
of whom were natives of Germany and are now deceased. The father was a
farmer and a member of an old and much respected family in that country.
Six children came to their marriage, four having survived the parents, and
Nick, who was the j'oungest and only one to come to America, w.is born
June 29, 1860, near Sarbruchen or Treves, in Rhenish-Prussia. He was
brought up in his native place and sent to the schools there, meanwhile
aiding his father on the home farm. In 1881 he came to- the United States
and after stopping in Pennsylvania for a while he went to Pueblo, Colo., at
the time of the building of the Bessemer Steel Works there, being employed
on the construction of the blast furnace. In December, 1882, he came to Cali-
fornia and secured employment in the Hills Ferry hotel, later doing farm
work, and in 1884 he came to Bakersfield, where he entered the employ of the
Southern Pacific Railroad Co. Not long afterward he was transferred to
Los Angeles by that company and worked in the roundhouse at Colton and
Lancaster. In 1889, he returned to Bakersfield, first entering the employ of
the German hotel, then the Walters liotel. after which he decided to start in
business for himself. He opened up a liquor business on the corner of K and
Nineteenth streets in 1892, and later added the French Cafe, but this he later
sold and has since continued the original business, in which Gaudenz \Vei-
chelt al.so has an interest. Besides this business Mr. Britz is interested in the
Los Angeles Fire Insurance Company.

Nick Britz was married in Santa Cruz, Cal., to Miss Josephine Matske,
who was born in Berlin, Germany. He is a member of the Knights of
Pythias, Order of Eagles and the Order of Royal Arch. He is a Democrat.

J. R. LOCK. — .\n identification with the .Associated Oil Company that
began in November of 1909 and that kept him at the McKittrick holdings of
the corporation for a considerable period, has since brought Mr. Lock to the
companv properties at Fellows, where he is now employed as head machinist,
having charge of all outside work pertaining to the machinery at the com-
pany properties one and one-half miles northeast of the town. Long experience
as a machinist qualifies him for expert work in this important department of
the devolopment work of the concern.

A Missourian by birth, Mr. Lock was born near Darlington, Gentry
county, December 18, 1877. The farm where uneventfully were passed the
years of bovhood and youth had been occupied by his father since 1856, when
that hardy pioneer took up the land and began the transformation of the raw
prairie into a remunerative, productive estate. Now unable to continue the
heavy agricultural labors of his younger days, he has leased his farm of three
hundred and eighty acres and is enjoying the comiorts of old age. By his



1334 HISTORY OF KERX COUNTY

marriage to Eliza Williams, who died in 1894 at the age of forty-four years,
he had a family of live sons and one daughter. All are .still living with the
exception of one of the sons. The youngest son and next to the youngest
child, J. R. Lock, was reared at the old homestead and received a common-
school education. Upon starting out to make his own way in the west, he
left Missouri in February, 1898, and removed to Colorado. For a short time
he remained at Pueblo. Afterward he found employment in the mines at Crip-
ple Creek, where his first employment was that of fireman for the hoisting
engine. Within one year he was promoted to be hoisting engineer, which
responsible task he continued most successfully for a few years.

Upon coming to California in February, 1909, Mr. Lock proceeded to
Fresno and for two years was employed in running the pumps at the St. George
winery. From there he removed to San Joaquin county and secured work as
foreman of the R. C. Sargent estate on a ranch comprising one hundred and
fifty thousand acres. During three and one-half years he filled the position and
had charge of a herd of five thousand head of cattle. In order to prepare so
large a drove for the markets it was necessary to raise large amounts of alfalfa
and grain and all of such work was placed under his charge.

While engaged as foreman on this ranch he met and married Miss Emma
A. Blohm and they and their three sons, James S., Arthur R. and John H.,
now occupy a comfortable cottage on the property of the Associated near
Fellows. From the ranch in San Joaquin county Mr. Lock came to Kern
county and engaged with the old Amalie gold and silver mine near Caliente,
where he had charge of the hoist for four years, and since giving up that work
he has been continuously with the Associated. His attention is given wholly to
the duties of his position. He is a member of Taft Lodge No. 593, L. O. O. M.

L. A. HIRSCH. — Merit and persistence are the qualities that have con-
tributed to the rapid rise of Mr. Hirsch in the oil industry. Although stil! a
young man, scarcely yet in the prime of manhood and with years of possible
continued usefulness stretching before him, his knowledge of the oil business
is not surpassed by that of men many years older than he and his intelligent
application to the work forecasts increased results for the future. As lease fore-
man of the American Oilfields Company, with headquarters on section 36,
31-22, he is identified with production work on one of the greatest properties
in the state.

Descended from an old eastern family, L. A. Hirsch was born at St.
Marys, Auglaize cnunty, Ohio, ilarch 22, 1887, received a fair education in
the grammar and high schools of his native town, and at the age of eighteen
years became a pumper in the employ of the Standard Oil Company. Ever
since that time he has continued in the same occupation. Upon leaving Ohio
he went to Illinois, still as an employe of the Standard, and for a time he
worked in the oil fields at Westfield, twelve miles north of Casey. A later
position with the Silurian Oil Company at Bridgeport occupied him for two
years and four months, after which he came to California in September, 1910,
and found employment on section 22 division of the North American Con-
solidated. After a short period with that company, on May 6, 1911, he became
lease foreman with the American Oilfields Company, and has since filled this
responsible position with creditable efiiciency. With his wife, whom he mar-
ried in Bakersfield and who was formerly Miss Blanche Worman, of St.
Marys, Ohio, he has established a comfortable home on section 36 in a com-
pany residence.

HERMAN AUGUSTUS WEFERLING.— The organization of the Te-
hachapi Hay and Grain Company, effected in 1909 through the efforts of a
number of progressive local men, has added another enterprise to the com-
mercial activities of Tehachapi and has been pushed forward to a gratifying
degree of financial importance through the capable management of Mr.



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1335

W'eferling, who assisted in the starting- of the concern and has since acted as
its superintendent-. While Mr. Weferlinc^ is ably and efficiently conducting the
large interests of the company his wife, formerly Mrs. Luella (Duty) Wiggins
and a native of Te.xas, is devoting her attention to the management of her
millinery store in Tehachapi.

Of German birth, a native of Braunsweich, Prussia, born August 21, 1867,
Herman Augustus Weferling was next to the oldest in a family consisting of
two sons and three daughters (all still living.) The parents, William and
Louise (Bressel) Weferling, were born in Prussia and the father engaged in
the sugar manufacturing business at ]\Iagdeburg on the Elbe. During 1868 he
brought his family to America, proceeded as far west as Wisconsin and in
Black Hawk county built one of the first sugar mills in the state. Coming to
California in 1871 he worked for a time in a sugar factory, but soon went to
Santa Cruz and near Soquel began to cultivate a farm. During 1880 he re-
moved to Monterey county and bought a farm in Lockwood valley, where
he remained until his death and where his widow still makes her home.

Reared in California and educated in the public schools of the state,
Herman Augustus Weferling holds in highest honor the institutions of this
commonwealth and is loyal to every movement for the permanent upbuilding
of the state. At the age of twenty-one he left home to make his own livelihood.
Coming direct to Kern county he located land in the Weed Patch and took up a
claim under the homestead laws. Unfortunately a season of prolonged drought
destroyed all of his crops and discouraged him to such an extent that he gave
up the claim after two years. During 1890 he came to Tehachapi and secured
a clerkship with Isidore Asher. Later he worked in the quartz mills. Since
1909 he has devoted his time whi lly to the Tehachapi Hay and Grain Com-
pany. In politics he is a Republican. The development of Kern county inter-
ests him deeply. A firm believer in the opportunities offered by this section
of the state, he adds another to the list of the progressive, liberal and public-
spirited men whose citizenship has been of inestimable value to the county.

JEAN BURUBELTZ.— The death of Jean Burubeltz, on June 7, 1911,
removed from East P.akersfield one of its oldest and best-known citizens, who
had been identified with the interests of Kern county f> r thirty-five years, and
who since 1901 had been the proprietor of the Hotel d'Europe of East Bakers-
field. He was born in Lasse, Basses-Pyrenees, France, in January, 1852. and
he grew up on the farm of his father, gaining the rudiments of his agricultural
training under him. Coming to Kern count}', Cal., at the age of twenty-one
he engaged in the sheep business until 1890, when he sold out and went to
Los Angeles, where he became interested in the hotel business. In 1901 he
returned to Kern count}' and opened the hotel in East Bakersfield which he
ever afterward conducted, and which his widow still continues with success.
His death was a severe blow to many in his city, and he was mourned by a



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 140 of 177)