Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 158 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 158 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


field, J. B. Carlock, J. B. Carter, W. O. Clay, J. P. Cooney, F. E. Davis, S.
Duschak, Charles del Bondio, E. T. Edwards, W. A. Fischer, W. FoUansbee,
W. I. Fitzmartin, J. J. Gallman, E. D. Gillette, C. E. Good, L. P. Guiberson,
C. H. Holmes, G. S. Hanning, H. M. Haseltine, J. P. Hickey, W. D. Head,
Charles A. Hahn, George Kammerer, A. M. Keene, M. L. Kleinsmith, E. C.
Kellermeyer, Dr. C. Lawton, E. B. Latham, F. W. Livingston, lack Lilburn,
H. H. Maddren, T. O. May, E. H. Marsh. F. Marsh, W. O. Maxwell, T. J.
Mcachem, R. R. Morris, J. M. Murray, S. W. Mimms, H. F. Mi shier, William
C. McDuffie, I. F. MciMahan. F. O. Patterson, G. G. Patten, T. C. Perkins, J. L.
Philinp, T. H." Rainev. E. S. Rose, ]. F. Ross, F. O. Redd. L. W. Sharp, C. L.
Shirk, Charles St. Louis, W. G. Tklbot, I. W. Tipton, George H. Todd. Wil-
liam Walker, Clarence H. Williams, E. H. Williams, R. L. Agee, I. W. Alex-
ander, W. J. Atwood, C. H. Allison, F. Bellis, George H. Bailev, R. A. Broom-
field, E. M. Brown, T. F. Bastain, E. H. Conklin, George R.'Caldwell, C. B.
Colby, J. O. Clutter, W. Dumont, B. T. Dyer, J. P. Dooley, H. J. Everitt, E. H.
Edwards, F. P. Findley, S. G. Gassaway, F. H. Hall, Stone Hastain, J. J. Hern,
C. M. Imerson, J. M. Jameson, W. C. Johnson, Dave Kinsey, L. P. Keister.
George R. Kerr, Everitt King, E. W. King, W. M. King, W. A. Kobbe, R.
Laird, G. P. Louthaine, George H. Lowell, H. H. McClintock, P. M. Pike, A.
E. Raine, William C. Rae, B. L. Stitzinger, Mel P. Smith, J. W. Squires, R. A.
Sperry, Walter Snook, H. N. Taylor. H. W. Wadeson, A. Wark, J. J. Wilt.
C. E. Worden.

JOHN KOCH. — The earliest recollections of Mr. Koch are of a home
nestled among the mountains in Canton Graubunden, Switzerland, where he
was born January 25. 1863, at Zilles. That same canton was the birthplace
and childhood heme of his parents, John and Mary (Hunger) Koch, and there
too they were married and continued to make their home.

Of the two children comprising the parental family John Koch was the
younger, and early in life was made familiar with the duties of the dairy, for
his father had extensive interests along this line. His services in the dairy,
however, were not allowed to interfere with his education, but after school
days were over he returned to the duties of the home farm and gave his services
to his father until he took upon himself the duties of life. As a dairyman in
the employ of others he worked as a butter-maker and as a cheese-maker from
that time until he came to the new world in 1890. Coming direct to Kern
county, Cal., he saw a good outlook for the business to which he had been



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1439

trained. He was fortunate in securing^ ready employment, btit no more so
than was Chris Mattly, with whom he remained as butter and cheese maker
for two years. He then engaged in business for himself. Assnciatcd with two
others with like ambitions and with a good understanding of the business
lie rented a dairy in the vicinit}^ of Bakersfield and for three years made a
specialty of butter-making. After selling his interest in the enterprise in 1896
he returned to the old family home in Switzerland. While he enjoyed renew-
ing the associations of family and friends, at the end of a year he was as
anxious to return to California as he had been to leave it. Upon his return to
Bakersfield he entered the employ of the Kern County Land Company as
butter-maker, on the Stockdale ranch, remaining there about two years, ur until
his marriage.

In the Old River district, Kern county, John Koch was married in 1898
to Miss Alary Weichelt. who was born in Canton Graubunden, Switzerland, the
daughter of' Gottlieb Weichelt, and a sister of Mrs. Chris Mattly. In 1^99
Mr. Koch purchased sixty acres of the property which he now owns nine
miles southwest of Bakersfield. Here in a modest way he engaged in the dairy
business independently, extending his interests as conditions permitted, and
ultimately he purchased twenty acres adjoining his first purchase until he now
has eighty acres altogether, under the Farmers canal and devoted to alfalfa
and grain. During 1901, associated with Christian Ruedy and Peter Gilli, Air.
Koch erected a creamery which he and his associates ran for abuut eight
years. Since then Air. Koch has given his attention to the dairy business, and
as a result of his unremitting efforts has built up one of the largest individual
dairy interests in the vicinity of Bakersfield if not in Kern county.

Politically Air. Koch is a Republican, and with his wife he is a communi-
cant of the Lutheran Church. In this faith they are rearing their three chil-
dren, John, Nina and Gottleib.

R. N. SIMPSON. — The San Francisco Alidway Oil Company, of which
Mr. Simpson acts as superintendent, is one of the organizations operating in
section 24, 31-23, and where two wells produce an average monthly output
of two thousand barrels. The superintendent of this property is a native of
Pennsylvania and was born in Alercer county, February 19, 1864, being one of
four children whose father, a farmer and oil speculator, died when the son was
only eight years of age. The mother married a second time and now, again
widowed, she makes her home at Long Reach, Cal. Besides Robert N., there
were two sons and one daughter in the family, namely: George \V., who was
accidentally killed in 1909 while drilling on the Alascot lease near Taft ; Frank
B., a driller now working on the San Francisco Midway lease near Shale;
and Ada. Airs. John Nonnemoker, who died in Ohio, leaving a daughter, Agnes.

Reared in Venango and AIcKean counties. Pa., and near Windsor. Ohio,
Robert N. Simpson has earned his own livelihood since he was a lad of twelve.
At first he worked on an Ohio farm for his board and clothes. Later he was
paid a small wage. During a part of his youth he was allowed to attend school
in the winter months. When eighteen years of age in 1882 he successfully
passed the teachers" examination in Ashtabula county. Ohio, where he taught
in 1883 and 1884. Upon discontinuing work as a teacher he went to New York
state with a roofing gang and later learned the details of the oil industry in
the fields of Simpson. Pa., where he spent considerable time as a pumper.
A well-known oil man of Pennsylvania, George McCloud, was his emnlnyer
in the Pennsylvania oil fields. Returning to Ohio in 1892, he engaged as a
tool-dresser at Woodville for four months. During eight years following he
held a very important and responsible position with S. C. Heacock, an exten-
sive farmer and prominent oil operator in Wood county, Ohio.

Coming to California in I'fOl, Air. Simpson spent five months at Long



1440 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Beach and meanwhile studied conditions in that part of the state. On his
return to Ohio he resumed work in the oil fields, where he remained for two
years. When he again came to California, he sought the Coalinga field and
secured employment with the California Limited and the 28 Oil Companies,
also held a position later with the Premier Oil Company. In 1910 he came
to the Midway and worked as a driller under E. S. Brown. November 8, 1912,
he was made superintendent of the lease owned by another oil company, and
he now has charge of the San Francisco Midway lease of forty acres. During
the period of his residence in Ohio he married in 1894 Miss Elvira Hill, of
North Baltimore, that state, a lady of housewifely skill and gracious hospital-
ity. They became the parents of five children, four of whom are living,
namely: Hugh, a pumper on the San Francisco ]\Iidway lease; Gertrude A.,
Clyde R. and George F. The second son, Lyle, accidentally shot himself
December 15, 1912, while duck hunting near Long Beach.

LESREY G. HELM.— One ^f the leading business men of Wasco, Kern
county, L. G. Helm is the junior member of the firm of L. G. Helm & Son,
general merchants, whose establishment is one of the finest of its kind in the
vicinity. L. G. Helm, Sr., was born in Saline county. Mo., January 30, 1834,
and for many years carried on merchandising in the east. In 1882 he moved
to Texas, disposing of his property in Missouri, but finally returned east
and engaged in business. In 1892 he came to California, locating at Rosedale,
Kern county, where he lived until he settled in Wasco. While he retains
his interest in the store with his son and is interested in the McKittrick and
Lost Hills oil fields, he is practically retired from active business.

It was on the 25th of April, 1886, that the younger Helm was born. He
came to Kern county with his parents when he was about six years old, and
until he was fourteen attended the public schools at Rosedale and Bakers-
field. Then for eight years he was a salesman in Redlick's department store at
Bakersfield. Late in 1908 he moved to McKittrick, where he opened a general
merchandise store which he conducted with success about six months. In 1909
he took up his residence at \A'asco, where in partnership with his father he
established the mercantile establishment of L. G. Helm & Son, a concern
which supplies Wasco, Lost Hills and vicinity with merchandise of all kinds.
They are local agents for the Moline Plow Company's implements and the
Fish and Studebaker wagons and their trade extends widely throughout the
country surrounding Wasco. The firm erected a large brick building 50x60
feet, in which their business is conducted. The son owns property in the
Lost Hills oil district and in the McKittrick field. In 1910 he organized the
Louise Oil Company, which is operating in the Lest Hills district. He is
now a director in the Wasco Hall Association and he affiliates socially with
the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America. He
married, November 14, 1906, Miss Etta A. Martin, who was born in Arizona,
and they have one child. Fay H. Mr. Helm was one of the organizers and a
director of the Bank of Wasco.

GEORGE W. McCAUSLAND.— The revolution which during 1911 and
1912 rendered the presence of American business men in Mexico no longer safe
proved the unfortunate affair which influenced George W. McCausland to
return to the United States, thereby temporarily causing a cessation of his
extensive mining operations in our neighboring country. Howevci, much as
he regretted the deplorable national occurrences that forced him to discontinue
business interests in Mexico, he has had no reason to regret the decision that
has made him a resident of Kern county and a contributor to the material
development of Wasco, where he has been engaged in mercantile pursuits
and also in the securing of an adequate water system for the town. As a boy
he attended the common schools in Michigan, where he had been born at
Saginaw July 21, 1884, and later he attended the Chicago high schools. The



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1441

bent of his mind turned his studies toward mining and he qualified for scien-
tific work in the occupation through attendance upon a college of mining in
Michigan, where he had the best advantages the country afforded for special-
izing in his chosen calling.

Upon leaving college and subsequently engaging for one year with the
United States Gypsum Company in Chicago, Mr. McCausland resigned a
flattering position in order to join his brothers in mining ventures in Mexico.
Upon leaving Chicago and the north he proceeded to Santa Barbara in the
state of Chihuahua, Mexico, where he acquired an interest in a valuable
gold mine. With his brothers he managed and developed the property and his
interest in the company is m w very valuable, besides which he owns an in-
terest in a copper mine in Chihuahua. He returned to the United States in
1911, at which time, after a visit of si.x months with his parents in Los Angeles,
he came to Kern county and formed a mercantile partnership with G. R.
Stillson. He now owns and conducts a general store at Wasco. He installed
the water system which supplies the village with water, but this was later sold
out. He has built a comfortable bungalow tn the Main. During December of
1909 he married Miss Czegenyi B. Howes, who was born in Nashville, Tenn.,
in November of 1891 and received superior educational advantages in the
south.

JOHN W. CANADAY.— Not only does the Canaday family enjoy the
distinction of being numliered among the pioneers tf California, but in addi-
tion it is of colonial and Revcilutionary lineage and different generations have
aided in the material upbuilding of different parts of the country. The family
history shows that William and Polly (Gier) Canaday, natives of Kentucky
and farmers in Madison county, left their eld southern commonwealth for
the then undeveloped and sparsely settled regions of Missouri, where in 1836
they became pioneer farmers of Linn county. With them in the removal was a
son of four years, John Turner, whose birth had occurred in Madison county,
Ky., March 7, 1836, but whose recollectii ns include only the most meager
memories of his native place. Upon attaining his majority he started out to
earn his own way in the world. For a few years he engaged in teaming and
lumbering at St. Joseph, Mo., and in that period he heard much concerning
the great west. During the spring of 1858 he joined an expedition comprising
seventy-five large wagons and teams, which started from Independence, Mo.,
for the long journey across the plains. It was his task to drive nine yoke of
cattle for their owner and he therefore was obliged to leave the main caravan
at Salt Lake City, from which point he proceeded to B< x Elder with the stock.
Having delivered the drove to the proper parties, he then took charge of some
horses and cattle and drove them through to Susan Bluffs on the Carson
river for their owner, Mr. Blankinship. He then proceeded i-n foot to Piacer-
ville, where he landed in August after a journey of four months and eight days.

An experience as teamster with the Diamond Mills Placer Company dur-
ing the autumn and as miner in the winter proved unremunerative. so he tried
his luck on a ranch near Yolo and afterward engaged in teaming and ranching
near Stockton. Later he took up land near Modesto, Stanislaus county, whence
about 1878 he came to Kern county and for two years was with the Kern
County Land Comoany. During 1880 he homesteaded eighty acres on the
Beardsley canal and there he engaged in ranching until 1893. His marriage
took place in Stanislaus county in 18fi8 and united him with Miss Louise
St. Mary, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Alexander St. Mary. When
only two years of age she was brought from Illinois to California by way of
Panama. In girlhood she attended school in San Joaquin .county. Five chil-
dren were born of her marriage : James M., Bakersfield ; George, wdio died
at fourteen years ; John W., whose name introduces this article and whose
birth occurred near Modesto. Stanislaus county, November 20, 1875 ; Mrs.



1442 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Barbara W'ible, of Bakersfield ; and Mrs. Minnie Sleichter, a resident of Fresno.

Being only a small child when the family came to Kern county, John W.
Canaday received all his schooling in Bakersfield and later he followed farm-
ing in this county. An experience of four years as a driver with H. H. Fish
was followed by a connection for five years with the Southern Pacific Railroad
Company as locomotive fireman. Next he was a conductor with the street-
car ctmpany in Bakersfield, resigning this June 7, 1910, to become collector
for the water department of the Kern County Land Company. At Caliente,
Kern county, June 26, 1901, he was married to Miss Mary Dukes, a native of
Kernville, Kern county. In an early day Charles Henry Dukes came from his
native Kentucky to California with two brothers. For a long period he was
engaged with the Southern Pacific Railroad Comoany and made his home at
Caliente, where his death cccurred at the age of sixty-four years. In the same
town in 1898 occurred the demise of his wife, who bore the maiden name of
Sarah E. Bowen and was born in Tulare county, this state, in 1860. Their
family comprised six children, the eldest of whom is the wife of Mr. Canaday.
The others named are as follows: Mrs. Virginia Rose, of Los Angeles;
Charles A. and W. G., of Globe, Ariz. ; Sadie and Floyd, who are living in
Bakersfield. Mrs. Canaday was educated in Caliente and Bakersfield and is a
woman of intelligence and refinement, intensely devoted to the welfare and
progress of California and deeoly interested in the activities of Tejon Parlor
No. 336, N. D. G. W., of which she is past president. In addition she is asso-
ciated with the Pythian Sisters, while Air. Canaday has been a leading member
of the Knights of Pythias in the Kern Lodge, and he is further connected
with Bakersfield Lodge No. 266, B. P. O. E., and the Woodmen of the World.
Politically he is a Democrat.

M. A. LINDBERG.— The proprietor of the Arlington hotel and cafe at
Bakersfield is of Scandinavian birth and lineage and was born at Skaane,
Sweden, August 19, 1867, being the son of a farmer who also followed the
occupation of a brick-layer. At the age of fourteen years he was taken out
of school in order to begin an apprenticeship to the brick-layer's trade and for
six years he devoted himself to the work in his native land, whence in 1887
he came to the United States, first settling at Omaha, Neb. The following
year he went on to the central part of Colorado and began to assist in
filling contracts for ties and timber for the Denver & South Park Railroad.
On the completion of that job he filled similar contracts for different railroads
in Idaho, Washington, ]\Iontana and British Columbia, and during that period
he was married, in Virginia City, Nev., to Miss Hulda Streckenbach, who
was born and reared in that place. During 1892 he came to California as
foreman of construction work on the Coast line and three years later he came
through Kern county for the first time. Relinquishing his railroad work, he
entered into the restaurant business at Lompoc and after three years in that
town he came to Bakersfield in March, 1900, shortly afterward buying an in-
terest in the lease of the Arlington hotel. For a time the inn was conducted
under the name of the T. H. Fogarty Comnany, but later Mr. Lindberg
acquired control of the entire lease and since then has managed the hotel in
his own name. The building occupies a central location on the corner of
Chester avenue and Nineteenth street.

Besides acting as proprietor of the hotel Mr. Lindberg represents the
Pabst Brewing Company of Milwaukee and is also president and a director of
the S. P. Oil Mining Company, which onerates producing wells in the Kern
river field. During June of 1911 he bought the Democrat springs and the O. K.
. placer claim of twenty acres on the Kern river, where the presence of one of
the finest white sulphur springs in the state makes the place valuable as a
health resort. A hotel and cottages have been erected, a large plunge and mud
baths have been instituted, attractive facilities for boating and fishing have



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1443

been provided and man}' other improvements have been made, including an
electric light and storage plant and g( od roads by stage or automobile from
Bakersfield, the distance of forty miles lieing easily made in three hours. He
has installed an automobile stage plying between the Arlington and Democrat
springs. The resort is run both winter and summer and has already estab-
lished a record for the great curative properties of the water, particularly for
rheumatism. Ever since he began to vote Mr. Lindberg has sup;)i rted Demo-
cratic principles. The Bakersfield Board of Trade has his name enrolled
among its members. Fraternally he has been identified prominently with the
Imprc)ved Order of Red Men, the Royal Arch, Benevolent Protective Order of
Elks and the Eagles, in which last-named organization for seven or more
years he has served with fidelity and accuracy in the office of treasurer.

EDWARD F. NEWSOM.— The lineage ( f the Newsom family indicates
long identification with the history of Virginia and at Petersburg, that state,
occurred the birth of David Frank Newsom, a pioneer of California. Long
before the Civil war (in which a brother bore an active part) he had left the
old home and had begun to earn his own livelihood as an empkye of the
Hudson Bay Company, in whose interests he conducted sutler stores at
Bellingham bay, on Puget sound and along the Eraser river in British Colum-
bia. Upon resigning the position he had held with them he came to Cali-
fornia and became me of the very first settlers of San Luis Obispo county,
where he married Miss Annie Branch, daughter of an Englishman, Ezba
Branch. Elected the first clerk of San Luis Obispo county, he filled the office
for many years. The salary, however, was scarcely adequate for the needs of a
large family and accordingly he followed other lines of work to increase the
annual income. One of his early occupatii ns was that of schoolteacher. In
addition he served for years as county judge. Meanwhile, having been greatly
troubled with catarrh, he had found a permanent remedy in the waters of a
fine medical spring owned by his father-in-law and when the latter presented
his daughter, Mrs. Newsom, with the springs and adjacent grounds they were
named the Newsom Arroyo Grande warm springs. A resort was established
two and one-half miles from Arroyo Grande and many people troubled with
rheumatism, neuralgia and catarrh found reUef from the diseases through the
waters of the springs. After the death of Mr. Newsom. in KOI, his widow
became the manager of the springs and she conducted the resort until her
death in April, 1912. The land, together with a large tract adjacent thereto,
had been given to her father, Ezba Branch, a pioneer of San Luis Obispo
county, after his marriage to Dona Manuella Ortega, a native daughter of
California and a member of a pioneer S lanish family well-known along the
coast. Through the prominence and high standing of this family the Mexican
government was influenced to bestow upon ^^Ir. Branch the Santa Manuella
grant and thereafter he had charge of the vast tract, which he devoted to
stock-raising purposes.

Six sons and six daughters comprised the family if David Frank Newsom
and among these (all still living) Edward F. was next to the eldest. Born at
Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo county, December 16, 1865, he attended the
schools of the locality in boyhood and at the same time acquired a knowledge
of the fundamentals of agriculture. A decided fondness fi r the care of horses
decided his occupation in life and while he worked with the Kern County
Land Company in Bakersfield from 1898 to 1904 and with the Standard Oil
Company from 1904 to 19C6 he used teams in all of this work and thus con-
tinued to study the care and management of horses. After he had completed
a job of excavating for reservoirs for the Standard Oil Company he embarked
in the livery business in Bakersfield, where he has a feed and sale stable on the
corner of M and Eighteenth streets. A general livery business is conducted
with a full equipment of fine horses and neat vehicles. Horses are bought, sold



1444 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

and exchanged, while many also are taken as boarders. He also runs the stage
hue to Glennville, a distance of forty-five miles, making three round trips a
week. While he displays ability in every line of the business, it is in the
breaking of horses that he has gained his widest reputation. He has built
two bungalows on Grove and Sonora streets in one of which he makes his
home, and he also owns real estate in Los Angeles and San Diego. Aside from
maintaining a constant supervision of his stables, he has been active in the
Knights of Pythias, Woodmen of the World and the Owls, while in politics
he has stanchly supported Democratic principles. He is a widower with one
son, Alfred, whose mother, Eveline (Cochrane) Newsom, a native of Paso
Robles, San Luis Obispo county, and a daughter of a pioneer physician in that
portion of the state, died after the family had established their home in Bakers-
field.

P. J. O'MEARA. — The real-estate and insurance interests of East Bakers-
field find able representation in the firm of Woody and O'Meara, whose ofiices
are located in the Hotel Metropole and who are now owners of one-half
interest in that hotel. In addition to negotiating sales of farms and town
properties, they sell oil lands, put through important leases, secure options,
make first-mortgage loans, eft'ect exchanges tf properties and indeed discharge
any duty or carry out any transaction connected with their chosen occupation.



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 158 of 177)