Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 161 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 161 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


some even dangerous, nor were there any rich discoveries to repay him for
the hardships and nrivations. After he had remained in the far north con-
tinuously from 1898 to the fall of 1909 he came down to Seattle, but in the
spring of 1910 he returned to Nome. Again in the fall of 1910 he sailed down
to Seattle, only to return to Alaska for the summer of 1911, but when in the
fall of that year he again departed from Nome, it was with the intention of
remaining in the United States, and since then he has been engaged in the
oil industry in Kern county, working on various leases until the spring of
1912, when he was promoted to be yard foreman of the Central Midway
division for the General Petroleum Company. Since coming to Taft he has
identified himself with the Loyal Order of j\Ioose.

T. P. KELEHER. — A specialist in the important work of pipe line con-
struction and connection is "Tim" Keleher, who holds a ver^' responsible
position as connection foreman of the pipe line department. Standard Oil
Company, on section 1, township 32, range 23. Arriving at Taft Seotember
1, 1910, he since has been identified with the development of the Midway
field, and on the 1st of November following his arrival at this point he was
tendered the position he since has filled.

Mr. Keleher was born in Toledo, Ohio, August 20, 1872, and is third
among the six living children of Uaniel Keleher, for thirty-five years a care-
taker in the employ of the Michigan Central Railroad Company. While at-
tending school in Toledo he gave his vacations to baseball and soon acquired
skill in the game. After considerable amateur work he became a member of
the Inter-State League. During the first two seasons he played with amateur
nines at Toledo and smaller towns throughout the state. During the third
year, while playing second base with the South Bend Nine, he was injured
in the arm in such a way as to incapacitate him for athletics. Forced to
seek another occupation, he turned to the oil industry and secured a position
with the East Ohio Gas Company. After two years in their service he went
to the West ^'irginia oil fields, thence to Kentucky, working in gas and oil



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1457

fields for five years in those states. Next he spent two 3ears in the Ohio oil
fields mainly at Lima and Findlay.

Two years were spent by Mr. Kelcher in construction work on the oil
line extending from Jamestown. Ind., to Alartinsville, 111., after which he
engaged in construction work on the first large gas line ont of Kansas City.
Froin there he went to Oklahoma and for a year worked on pipe line con-
struction at Tulsa. Returning to former headquarters he became an employe
of the Ohio Oil Company and for almost six years had charge of their inter-
ests at Martinsville. Upon resigning that position in 1910 he came to Cali-
fornia and since has been connected with the Standard Oil Company at Taft
He is a member of the Catholic Church. While he had his head(|uarters in
Illinois he was married, at Marshall, that state, to Miss Margaret Kelm. who
was born and reared in Illinois, received an excellent education and from
childhcod has Ijeen an attendant at the services tf the Methodist Episcopal
Church. A daughter. Margaret Mary, blesses their union.

CHARLES S. TAYLOR.— Among the men who have taken an active
part in prospecting and developing the mining interests of Kern and San
Bernaidino counties is Charles S. Taylor, superintendent of the Atolia Mining
Company at Atolia. Tennessee is the native state of Mr. Taylor, he being
born at Elizabethton. Carter county. June 21. 1871. His father, Jonathan
Taylor, was a carpenter by trade and during the Civil war served in Com-
pany B. Fourth Tennessee V'olunteer Infantry. In 1876 he came to California,
his death occurring in Fresno county.

Charles S. Tayli r lived in Tennessee until 1884 when he came to Lemoore,
Cal.. where he completed the public school course. He then fi llowed farm-
ing until March. 1896. when he came to Randsburg and after eighteen months
with the Butte Mining Comoany he was two years with the Y. .A. M. & M.
Co.. after which he began prospecting and mining on his own account. Just
after Churchill discovered the tungsten ore in 1905 he with ethers located
several tungsten claims at what is now Atolia. and also bought an interest
with Mr. Ray. Together they began to open the Papoose mine which is
now the site of the main plant of the Atolia Mining Company. Mr. Taylor
was fo-eman of operations until January. 1903. when the Atolia Mining Com-
pany of San Francisco purchased the Churchill, Ray, Taylor and other inter-
ests and continued operations and development. Mr. Taylor was engaged as
foreman and was afterward made Fuperintendent of the mines. The com-
pany have sixtv-two claims and the mine is considered the largest and richest
individual tungsten mine in the world.

In 1906 when the postofihce was U cated at Atolia he was appointed post-
master and has held the position ever since. As one of the organizers of
the Atolia school district he was a member of the first board of trustees and
has been its clerk for three terms.

In Kingman, Ariz., occurred the marriage of Mr. Taylor with Mrs. Ger-
trude (Nelson) Schoonmaker. a native of Ohio, and they have two cliildren,
Charles S.. Jr., and Robert Lawrence. Fraternally he was made a Mason in
Tehachapi Lodge No. 313. F. & A. M., and he is also a member of Los
Angeles Consistory and .Al Malaikah Temple, N. M. S. With his wife he is a
member of the Order of Eastern Star.

ANDREW J. FOUST.— Whatever of success has crowned the efforts of
]Mr. Foust and whatever of goi d he has accomplished in the world may be
attributed to the possession on his part of determination of will, honesty of
purpose and integrity of character. With these attributes and the aid of his
capable wife he has risen to a place of independence.

The Foust family is of German extractiiii. As early as 1845, when
Iowa presented a vast stretch of uncultivated acreage and Des Moines was
merely a log fort. E. M. Foust, who was born in Indiana in 1832. accom-



1438 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

panied other members of the family to the state and settled on a claim about
ten miles south of Des Moines in Warren county. Ever since then he has
lived on the same land. Meanwhile he has seen the state developed into a
great commonwealth and the improvement of his own property has kept
pace with the growth of the state. His first wife, who bore the maiden name
of Sarah Bishop, was born in Indiana and died on the Iowa farm in Decem-
ber, 1854, leaving an only child, Andrew J., whose birth had occurred on
that same homestead January 2, 1854. As a boy this son worked early and
late. When not needed on the farm he was sent to the neighboring school.
At the age of fourteen he began. to work for farmers in the community and
continued as a hired hand until he established a home of his own.

The marriage of Mr. Foust November 13, 1879, united him with Miss
Elector L. Bishoi, a native of Somerset, Iowa. The eldest of six children,
Mrs. Foust was a daughter of Levi and Caroline (Ferrel) Bishop, natives
respectively cf Indiana and Missouri. At the age of nine years in 1845 Levi
Bishop accompanied his father. Joshua Bishop, from Indiana to Iowa, and
settled not far from the capital city of Des Moines, then an insigniikant
village of logs, fortified to afl:'ord protection from the Indians. Throughout
all of his active life Mr. Bishop engaged in general farming in Iowa. At
the opening of the Civil war he entered Company H, Thirty-fourth Iowa
Infantry, in which he continued at the front until the failure of his health
and his hcnorable discharge. After returning home he served as lieutenant
of a company of Iowa Home Guard. Eventually he removed to Fowler,
Cal., where he remained until death and where his widow still makes her home.

A condition of health so serious as to arouse fears for the life of Airs.
Foust led her husband to close out his farming interests in Iowa and remove
to California in February, 1888. The change proved beneficial and Mrs. Foust
was soon restored to health. Nor did the removal prove disastrous from a
financial point of view. On the other hand, Mr. Foust has been prospered
in the west. Immediately after his arrival in Kern county he homesteaded
one hundred and sixty acres in the Weed Patch, put up a house, sunk a well,
established his home there and at the expiration of five years proved up on the
claim. Later he bought eighty acres of school land four miles from the home-
stead. In order to improve the new property he removed thither, after which
time he made a special feature of the stock business until June, 1913, the
date of his removal to California avenue. In politics he has been a stanch
Republican. On the organization of the Vineland school district he was
made a member of the first board of trustees and upon removing to the farm
of eighty acres he aided in organizing the Mountain View school district, of
which he served as trustee for many years. In religion they are members
of the Christian Church. Their eldest son, E. L., who died in 1908, had
been engaged as a steel construction engineer and had designed many steel
buildings in San Francisco. The other sons, E. B. and L. E., are respectively
bcss rig builder and superintendent of construction for the Associated Oil
Company at Fellows. The third child and only daughter, Mrs. Virna Fill-
more, is a resident of the Weed Patch, where her husband, H. H. Fillmore,
is engaged in farm pursuits.

GEORGE W. URIE. — George W. Urie was born in Chelsea, Mass.,
August 15, 1864, and was the son of John and Elizabeth (Orell) Urie, natives
of Paisley, Scotland, and England, respectively. The father learned the dyer's
trade in Paisley and on coming to the United States followed the trade in
the woolen mills in Massachusetts. George W^ was brought up and edu-
cated in Massachusetts. When eighteen years of age he removed with the
family to Appleton, Wis., where he learned the dyer's trade under his father,
but five years later was obliged to give it up on account of his health. He
then began the study of telegraphy in Rockford, III, and held positions with



HISTORY OF KF.RX COUXTY 1459

the Illinois Central Railroad in dift'erent parts of Illinois and Wisconsin
until 1901 when he rem..ved with his family to California. Here he entered
the employ of the Southern Pacific Railread as operator at Red Bluff until
19C2 when he held the same position at Indio. Then he was assistant agent
at Anaheim for one year, when he became agent and operator at Glamis.
This was at the front during the time of the opening of the Palos Vcrdes
valley and to accommodate the settler and miners he tpened a restaurant and
also a hay and feed business. After three years he was sent as agent to
Mecca, where he remained four years. Next he was stationed at Cabazon
until April, 1913, when he was transferred to AIcFarland as agent. With his
son, Charles L., he is engaged in the coal and feed business in Mcl^arland
under the firm of G. W. Urie & Son.

Mr. Urie's marriage occurred in Appleton, Wis., when he was united with
Miss Lulu A. Sackett, a native of that place, and to them have been born
four children, as follows: Hazel G., John L., Chester L. and Donald W., all
under the parental roof with the exception of John L., who is at Venice,
Cal. Fraternally Mr. Crie is a member of the Fraternal Brotherhood. He
is a devout Methodist and is an active member of the board of trustees of
the McFarland Methodist Episcopal Church.

MISS ELLA B. KINTON.— Among the residents of Rosamond we find
Miss Kinton, who was a picneer homesteader and merchant, having located
here as early as 1890. She has since given all her energy to the develop-
ment of this section of Kern county. Born at ]\Ians Choice, Bedford county,
Pa., she is the daughter of Theodore and Maggie E. (Stuckey) Kinton, both
descendants if old Pennsylvania families; the father is deceased, but the
mother is still living at the old home in Bedford county.

The great-grandfather of Theodore Kinton was Thomas Kinton. who
served as an officer under General Washington in the French and Indian
war. He located on a farm at the foot of Willis mountain in Bedford county,
the same place that Theodore Kinton afterwards owned and where Miss
Kinton was reared. A high peak of Willis mountain was named Kinton
Knob in his honor.

In July, 1890, Miss Kinton came to California and immediately (the
same mi_nth) located at Rosamond. About a year later she located a home-
stead of one hundred and sixty acres five miles west of Rusamond on the
Willow Springs road, the present site of the Hamilton mill. She made the
necessary improvements, sunk two wells and resided on it fi r five years, when
she proved up on it. She then sold twenty acres for the Hamilton mill site,
retaining one hundred and f( rty acres. In 18'; 6 she moved back to Rosamond
where she built and started a store and ever since has continued in the
mercantile business. Being appointed postmaster of Rosamond under the
Cleveland administration she served from 1895 to 1909. Having a retentive
memory she is well posted as :o the history and growth of this vicinity and
therefore is able to relate incidents that are intensely interesting. Reared in
the Presbyterian Church, she holds to that faith, while in her political convic-
tions she adheres to the principles of the Republican party.

J. W. HICKS.— Born in Randolph county. Mo., April 27, 1873, J. W.
Hicks is a son of the late J. C. and Jeannette (Crawford) Flicks. The latter
was born in Missouri and died in California. The former, who followed agri-
cultural pursuits in Missouri, came across the plains to California during
the summer of 1854 and tried his luck in the mines and on the unimproved
farm lands of the then undeveloped west. It was not until 1869 that he
returned to Missouri and resumed general farming in Randolph county, w'herc
he remained for a long period. Accompanied by his family in 1889 he came
to California and settled in Kern county, but later resided in Tulare county.
His last days were passed in Bakersfield. Of his seven children all but two



1460 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

are still living-, the eldest being J. W., who was fifteen at the time of coming
to Kern county for the first time. Here and in Tulare county he completed
the trade of a carpenter. About 19C0 he was one of the original locators of
Twenty-five Hill in the oil fields, but relinquished his interest before the value
of the lease was known.

Several years were spent by Mr. Hicks in carpentering through different
localities of Northern California, Utah and Nevada, and during that period he
formed the acquaintance of Miss Celia J. Henry, who was born in Utah and
with whom he was united in marriage at Ogden, that state. On returning
to Kern county he took up carpentering on the west side. After a year
as a carpenter he was elected marshal of Maricopa and devoted much of his
time to the duties of that position, resigning eventually in order to remove
to Bakersfield, where since February of 1912 he and his wife, with their four
children, Lynn, Marvin, Walter and Fred, have made their home. He is
stanch in his sympathy with the socialist movement and well informed con-
cerning its objects and principles. Upon his removal to Bakersfield he was
elected president of the Carpenters' Local No. 743, and February 14, 1913,
he was chosen business agent of the Kern County Building Trades Council,
to which work he devotes his entire time.

MICHEL ANSOLABEHERE. — A native of France, M. Ansolabehere
was born ^March 24, 1875, in Basses-Pyrenees. He attended public schools
near his boyhood home for a short time and worked for his father until he
came to the' United States. He arrived in Kern county January 8, 1893, at
the end of a direct journey over seas and across the United States. Very
soon after he came here he engaged in herding sheep, a business which has
commanded his attention to the present time. He planned and worked
and prospered and saved his money until in January, 1910, he was able to
buy a ranch of sixty acres, six miles from Bakersfield, which is all under
cultivation, producing good crops of alfalfa, oats and barley. During recent
years he has gradually reduced the number of his sheep until he now has
comparatively few. As a stockman and farmer he has succeeded, due largely
to his industry and integrity.

On September 3, 1908, Mr. Ansolabehere married Miss Frances Labouc-
here, who was born in France February 18, 1887, and they have a daughter
whom they have named Lucy.

FRANK HARROL BALDWIN.— The proprietor of the Star livery
stable in Bakersfield is a member of an old family of the east and has the dis-
tinction of being descended in the collateral line from D. H. Baldwin, the
inventor and original manufacturer of the celebrated Baldwin piano. For
several generations the family has had representatives in or near Cincinnati,
where occurred the birth of Caleb S. Baldwin and also of his wife, Margaret,
daughter of Daniel Allen Campbell, one of the first retail milk dealers to
engage in business in Cincinnati. At the opening of the Civil war Caleb S.
Baldwin, then a youth of eighteen, enlisted in the Union army and was
a drummer in an Ohio regiment. With his command he went to the front
and took part in many engagements. In one of the battles with the Con-
federate troc ps he was seriously wounded, but in time fully regained his
health. At the close of the war he returned to Cincinnati and engaged in
the retail oil business, which engrossed his attention throughout his remaining
years. While yet in the midst of his useful activities he was removed by
death, leaving an only child, Frank Harrol. The wife and mother is still
living and makes her home in Cincinnati, where her son was born August
27, 1878, and where he received a public school education. In 1896 he went
to Phoenix, Ariz., and learned the undertaking and embalming business under
A. J. Bradley, with whom he continued to work for two years. In the spring
of 1898 he came to California and in the autumn of the same year he settled



HISTORY OF KF.RN COUNTY 1461

in Bakersfield, where he secured enipUiyment in tiie Lhiion stables. I'pon
leaving; that place he entered the employ of Jacob Neiderauer as undertaker
and embalmer, but in a short time he resigned the position to embark in
the livery business en his own account.

For three years Mr. Baldwin operated a livery stable at Oil Center and
the venture proved profitable in a gratifying decree. After disposing of
that stable he returned to Hakersfield and started the Exchange stable on
Eighteenth and I streets. Four years later he disposed of the business and
thereupon started the Star stable on the corner of Chester avenue and Twenty-
third street. During 190=) he erected a brick building, 75.xl20 feet in dimen-
sions and two stories in height, with elevator running between the two
floors. The stable stands at No. 232 Chester avenue and is said to be the
most modern fireproof building for livery purposes in the entire city. White
sandstone brick is utilized in the constructit n of the building and the effect
is attractive as well as substantial. In addition to owning the building and
the livery business Mr. Baldwin has a small fruit ranch in Kern county
and real estate in Bakersfield. Politically he votes with the Republican party.
At Los Angeles, September 1, 1906, he married Miss Margaret Voshell, who
was born at Easton, Aid., and descends from French-Huguenot ancestry
identified with .America during the colonial period. In a family of eight chil-
dren she was fifth in order ( f birth. Her father, John W., a farmer of Mary-
land, removed with his family to Kansas and settled in McPherson county,
where he still makes his home. Some time before leaving the east he had
married Miss Sarah Lewis, a native of Dover, Del., and a member of an old
eastern family. Her death occurred in Kansas, in which state Mrs. Baldwin
was reared, receiving excellent advantages in the Normal L'niversity at Salina.

CHARLES HENRY SHURBAN.— The youngest child and only son
among three children. Charles Henry Shurban was born at Fryeburg, Oxford
cc unty. Me., March 25, 1863, and is a son of John and Mary (Downs) Shur-
ban. natives respectively of Vermont and Alaine. Early in life the father
migrated from Vermont to Maine and there married Miss Downs, after which
they began housekeeping upon a farm in Oxford county. During the Civil
war he enlisted as a private in a Maine regiment of infantrj' and was sent
to the front with his command. Twice he was wounded on the battle-field.
Six months after he had received an hi norable discharge at the close of the
war he died from the effects of his wounds. The only son was then .scarcely
more than an infant and upon the mother was thrown the heavy respon.si-
bility of caring for the three children; nobly she labored for their support
and welfare, n r did her labors cease until her death, which occurred in
Maine. Meanwhile the son had been taken into the home of Theodore Pingree,
a brother of Hon. Hazen Pingree, ex-governor of Michigan. For three years
he did such work in the Pingree home as his years rendered possible and
meanwhile he was allowed to attend school regularly, so that his education
was not wholly neglected.

Coming to California in 1882 he secured employment on a ranch near
IVfor'esto, Stanis'aus county; later he was emploved near Merced and in the
vicinity of Stockton. During 1886 he came to Bakersfield and secured em-
ployment with Carr & Haggin as fr reman of the ditch gang. In a short
time he left to take a clerkship in a store on Chester avenue and Eighteenth
street, Bakersfield, owned at that time by Mr. McKelvey. In the same room
were the ofiices of the Wells- Fargo Express Company and the Western Cnion
Telegraph Company. When the Wells-Fargo Express Company established
their office at Kern in 1895 he was chosen as agent and continued to fill the
position until his resignation in 1908, upon taking up the work in the rural
mail service. I^^eanwhile, associated with John Kaar. he had erected the
First Bank of Kern building on the corner of Baker and Humboldt streets



1462 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

and had aided in the organization of the First Bank of Ivern, in which he
served as a director until he disposed of his stock.

At Limington, York county, Me., occurred the marriage of Charles Henry
Shurban and Miss Sadie V. Foss, who was born at Limington and is a grad^
uate of the academy in that city. Prior to their marriage she had engaged
in educational work. The family of which she is a member ranks among the
oldest and most prominent in New England and her father, John R. Foss,
was a first cousin of Hon. Eugene Foss, governor of Massachusetts. Some
time since Mr. Shurban purchased a block of ground and on one of the cor-
ners (Fremont and Gage streets) he erected the residence, where he and
his wife are comfortably domiciled. They are the parents of two children,
Robert, a graduate of the Kern county high school class of 1913, and now
a clerk in the post office at Bakersfield ; and Callie, who is a member of the
class of 1914 in the same high school. The family attend the Congregational
Church. After his arrival in Kern county in 1885 Mr. Shurban made a study
of its conditions and possibilities and decided to remain, a resolve which
he has no reason to regret, for he has become well known to business men,
prominent in the Irdge of Odd Fellows, highly regarded among personal
friends and successful in his chosen line of work.

FORREST A. CASSADY.— Although the earliest memories of Mr. Cas-
sady are associated with California and Kern county, Iowa is his native com-
monwealth and he was born in Madison county November 19, 1SS6, being
one of the three sons of Joseph and Maggie (Cunningham) Cassady, known
and honored by many of the citizens of Kern county. The family had no
means on their arrival in Bakersfield and it required the most tireless industry
on the part of the father to provide for wife and children. However, he had
become inured to hardships and privations in early life and the struggle for
existence did not discourage him. Although a native of New York state,
he had lived in Iowa from the age of three years and was familiar with pioneer
experiences from early memories in the vicinity of Winterset. After his
marriage to Miss Cunningham, a native of Iowa, he settled upon a farm in
Madison county and continued there until 1887, when he brought the family



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 161 of 177)