Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 172 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 172 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Union Pacific Railroad for a year on bridge construction from Cheyenne
west, and he remained with them until after the golden spike was driven.
In 1869 he came to California and opened his first school in Stockton, where
he taught for about a year, then resuming services on the railroad on the
Shasta route in 1873. Next he worked in San Francisco as instructor in the
City Industrial School until 187.S, on March 18th of that year coming to Kern
county to teach school at South Fork for a term. In 1876 he opened the Buena
Vista District school and the following year had charge (if the San Emidio
school. In 1878 he taught in Tehachapi. Two years later he instructed pupils
in the school of Woody district and in 1882 in White River. The terms
1883-84 he taught in Cummings valley. After his marriage he discontinued
teaching to engage in farming, his interests becoming so great that he was
obliged to relinquish his school work and give his entire attention to his ranch.

In partnership with Mr. Myers in the year 1878 Mr. Frazier had embarked
in the enterprise of general farming and stock-raising, Mr. Myers having
charge of the ranch until Mr. Frazier relinquished teaching. The land had been
improved somewhat during this time and when they dissolved partnership they
divided the land, Mr. Frazier's property covering about two hundred and forty
acres. He has added to this until he now owns four hundred and eighty acres,
situated nine miles southwest of P.akersfield and known as the "Golden Rod"
ranch because of the profuse growth of those flowers on the place. The ranch
is utilized for general farming and stock-raising. All of his land is under the
Buena Vista canal and is suitable for alfalfa growing, which he raises to a
great extent. His cattle are the short hnrn Durham variety, his horses are
English shire, and he is raising Poland China hogs extensively.

On June 28, 1883, Mr. Frazier was married in Sacramento to Frances J.
Gardner," a native of White River, Me., born March 6, 1838. She was inter-
ested in educational work in Massachusetts and came to California in 1872.
He has given service to his community in the holding of the office of clerk of
Buena Vista School District for the past thirteen years, his experience in



1524 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

teaching having made him a valued member of the board. He is one of the
original directors of the Security Trust Company of Bakersfield, and also
director of the Peoples Mutual Building & Loan Association. Fraternally
he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Bakersville Lodge
No. 202. Mr. Frazier's life has covered many walks of life, in all of which he
has borne a most useful part, in war, in educational life, in the agricultural and
financial field of this vicinity and as a capable and prosperous ranchman, and
not the least as an honorable and upright citizen, whose interest is ever for the
benefit of his adopted state.

CYRILLE GIRAUD.— Since the year 1884 Cyrille Giraud has been
identified more or less with the business activities in Kern county. He was
born in 1865 in France, where his parents both passed away. At the age of
sixteen he arrived in America, coming west to El Paso, Tex., whence after a
short time he traveled to Los Angeles and then to Bakersfield, in 1884, and
he remained in the latter place until 1892, during which time he engaged
in mining and also farmed to some extent. Later for six years he was in
San Luis Obispo. ;hen securing a position with the Southern Pacific Rail-
road at Tehachapi. For four years he was occupied in the shops of that
company and at the end of that time purchased the hotel and saloon which
he is now conducting.

On April 5, 1902. Mr. Giraud was married to Jennie Movnier, a native
of San Francisco, Cal., and to them were born children as follows: Cyrille
I., Eugene, JTartha and Harry. Mr. Giraud is a Republican in politics, and
in fraternal circles is an active member of the Woodmen of the World of
Bakersfield.

MRS. MARGARET M. BROOM.— Widowed more than fifteen years
ago, ^Trs. Margaret ]\L Broom found it incumbent upon her to look after her
own interests, and so well has she done this that she now finds herself com-
fortably fixed and well able to manage her afifairs. She is the only living
child of her parents, James >L and Susanna (Chance) Rochelle. both of whom
were l)orn in Tennessee. The father followed farming in Kentucky for a
while, and then removed to Montgcmery county, Tenn., going from there
into St. Clair, 111., n^ar Mascoutah. where he farmed for a short period. He
then removed to Johnson county, Kans., where in 1881 his death occurred.

At the age of ten years I\'frs. Broom removed with her father to Illinois,
settling in St. Clair county, where she attended public school. She married
in Illinois Commodore Perry Broom, a native of Illinois, who was engaged
in farming. Thev also removed to Johnson county, Kans., and Mrs. Broom
still owns a tract of ei^htv acres near Olathe. Kans. l^Tr. Broom had been to
California in 1851 and had remained until 1854, when he returned to Illinois.
Howe\-er. he had a great desire to return to the west, and accordingly, in
1892, thev arrived in California, and settled in Bakersfield, where Vr. Broom's
death occurred in 1^95 l^Trs. Broom then bought a one-acre tract at the
corner of Second and Chester avenues, where she built a residence and be-
came engaged in horticulture and the poultry business. This has proved to
be a sensible undertaking, as she has since been ab'e to build two residences
close at hand which she rents. Six children survived the death of '^W. Broom.
Susie E., Mrs. Howe, is a resident of Fast Bakersfield; Frances, Mrs. Neidi.g,
is also a resident of East Bakersfield; Edward E., and Charles E. are resi-
den:s of Bakersfield; Alice E. resides in San Francisco; and Jesse C. in
Seattle.

Mrs. Broom is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of
which she is a 'iberal supporter. Her political interests are with the Repub-
lican party. She is one of those refined women whose influence for good is
felt by all with whom she associates, and she has been a most devoted and
worthv mother.

JOHN NICOLL. — One of the honored pioneers of Kern county is John



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1525

Nicoll, of W'eldon, who was the fourth man to settle on tlie Sovilh Fork of
the Kern river. Of English and Scotcli parentage he was born near I'erth,
on the river Thames, in Upper Canada, July 9, 1827, and attended public
school there until he was thirteen years old, when he was brought by his
parents to a new home in the United States. The family settled in Hancock
county, 111., and there he began life for himself and prospered. In 18.t1 he
started with ox-teams across the plains to California, wintered in Salt Lake
City, and then came on, arriving in California in March, 1852. He located
first in Calaveras county and mined until 1857, in February of that year
settling within the present boundaries of Kern county. His capital in cash
at that time consisted of only $1.75, but a strong heart and splendid physical
strength were the elements which contributed toward his success. He fol-
lowed mining until he took up a government claim of one hundred and sixty
acres, a part of his present ranch, where he has lived since 1863.

During the first three years of his residence here Mr. Nicoll subsisted on
provisions packed across the Moiave desert except for such game as he was
enabled to kill in the vicinity of his home. He put his land under cultiva-
tion, after he had cleared it of sage brush, improving it, and purchased other
land until he now owns four hundred and eighty acres, all under irrigation,
one hundred acres of which is in alfalfa. :he rest being given over to grazing.
He gives much attention to stock-raising, being the owner of two hundred
head of cattle. His homestead is well improved with good buildings and
with every appliance for successful operation. He was a member of the
board of trustees of the Weldon district for six terms, and was clerk of the
board for several years. The same spirit of leadership which made him a
pioneer has kept him at the forefront in all movements for the general good.

GEORGE W. LOVEJOY.— Born near Rochester, N. Y., March 18, 1840,
George W. Lovejoy is a son of Josiah B. and Mercy (Stickney) l.ovcjoy, the
former born near .Andover, Mass., and the latter born at Cape Cod, of Puri-
tan lineage. There were six children who attained mature vears and George
W. was next to the youngest of these. When three years of age he was
orphaned by the death of his father, who had been a clothing merchant in
Boston and later had lived in New York state. The mother went back to
Massachusetts after the death of her husband and her son was sen: to Phil-
lips Academy at Andover as soon as he had completed common-school stud-
ies. At the age of eighteen he was apprenticed to the trade of a machinist
in Ballard Vale, Essex county, and later he completed his time in Boston.
In 1861 he enlis ed in the First ATassachusetts Infantry, and after the second
battle of Bull Run he was detached from the regiment and sent to Portsmouth
Grove, R. I., where he was placed in charge of the steam works. He re-
ceived his honorable discharge after a service of three years. Later he was
employed bv the Corliss Engine Company of Providence, then worked in the
Hope marine engine works at the same place and afterward held a position
as engineer on a steamboat until 1868, when he came via Panama to San
Francisco. The first year in the west was spent in a sawmill in Mariposa
countv, after which he was engaged in erecting locomotives for the Southern
Pacific Companv at Sacramento. A year later he entered the emplov of the
Risdon iron works of San Francisco and in the interests of that concern mane
a number of trips to Mexico, while later he traveled in \Vashingtoii and
Oregon erecting pumps for the Worthincton Pump Company.

Upon coming to the Tehachapi region in 1884. Mr. Lovejoy erected the
first mill that milled ore at the Yellow ."'ster mine in Randsburcf. :^'urh of
his time has been given to the development of his homestead. .After he
had acquired the title to the land he planted apple and near trees and began
to specialize in fruit, and was successful and inaug-urated the industry in the
countv. The ranch originally embraced a quarter section, but eightv acres
have been sold, and the remaining tract of eighty is rented to a tenant, Mr.



1526 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Lovejoy himself making his home in Tehachapi, where he owns a house and
other property. In politics he is a Republican. On the organization of
Garfield Post of the Grand Army in San Francisco he became a charter mem-
ber. Since coming to his present location he has been identified with Te-
hachapi Lodge No. 313, F. & A. M., and in addition he has affiliated with the
Knights of Pythias. He was married in San Francisco to Miss Isabella
Robertson, a native of Hamilton, Canada. They are the parents of five
children : William R., a Southern Pacific conductor, residing in Los An-
geles ; Arthur, of San Francisco; George W., Jr., employed on the Santa Fe
Railroad with headquarters at Winslow, Ariz. ; Mrs. Adeline Fletcher, of
Los Angeles; and ]\Irs. Muriel Wright, who died in Arizona, her husband
having been employed at Clifton, that state.

LAWRENCE HENDERSON.— Far to the north of Great Britain, on
Shetland islands, was the childhood home of Lawrence Henderson and there
his parents, Thomas and Ann (Murray) Henderson, lived upon a farm. There
were eleven children of this union and the father had four children by a
previous marriage. The youngest of the children, Lawrence, whose birth
occurred in 1871, became an active helper on the home farm at an age when
most boys are in school or at play and he continued to do his share until he
too left the old home to do battle fur himself in the great world beyond their
island home. The parents continued at the old homestead, where the father
died at seventy-five and the mother when eighty-four years of age.

A visit back to the old island home on the part of one of the older sons,
C. M. Henderson, of California, inspired in the mind of Lawrence Henderson
a desire to come to the far west. Although then only fifteen years of age he had
been doing a man's work and was able to support himself, so his parents gave
their consent to his departure. The interesting trip came to an end in Men-
docino county, where the youth readily found employment in the lumber
woods and logging camps. After a time he went to Oakland and engaged as
a gripman on the cable-car system of San Francisco, later working for the
Piedmont Consolidated Cable Company as a driver for eighteen months
altogether. Upon his return to Mendocino county he resumed work as a
lumberman. From that locality he went to Oathill, Napa county, where for
three years he worked in the employ of the Napa Consolidated Quicksilver
Mining Company.

In 1900 Mr. Henderson closed out his interests in Napa county and during
the month of June arrived in the Kern river fields, where he still resides,
although his residence in this district has not been continuous. For a
time he was employed as a tool-dresser for the Century Oil Company and
later he worked as a driller for the same organization, but no oil was found.
Thereupon he secured work with the Illinois Crude Oil Company as a
driller under his former superintendent in the Century, who had bought an
interest in the newer concern. At first all went well, but at the expiration
of two years prices dropped and the Illinois suspended operations. Mean-
while Mr. Henderson had married Miss Daisy Ellen Ingle, of Middletown,
Lake county, and to that locality he removed, buying a tract of land and
during the seven years of his residence in that county he developed and im-
proved a farm of four hundred acres. With his wife he was a member of the
Baptist Church in Middletown, while in the same town he held membershio
with Friendship Lodge No. ISO, I. O. O. F.

Upon leaving Lake county Mr. Henderson spent a year in Coalinga.
Fresno county, and while there was retained to come to the Kern river oil
fields, where he had worked with efficiency some years before. The property
of which he acts as superintendent consists of the Wrenn lease and that part
of the Traffic Oil Company's holdings composed of the old Alcedes and the
Kane, Robinson and Wrenn holdings on the southeast quarter of the south-



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1527

east quarter of section 30, township _' unty,
Ky., born December 15, 1879, a son of Dr. John B. Lapsley. Dr. and Mrs.
Lapsley. who are also of Kentucky birth, are highly respected, making their
home in that state. The son was educated priinarily in the public schools
near his father's home and he helped his parents on the farm. He was duly
graduated with the degree of A.B. from Centre College, at Danville Ky., with
the class of 1899. and was a teacher in AIcAfee Academy fi r about two years.
In September, 1901. he came to California, locating for a time at Ventura.



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 172 of 177)