Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 176 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 176 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


followed by a majority of the male members of the family, although sev-
eral engaged in the oil business in the Keystone state, and as a boy Samuel
Sweitzer. whose birth occurred in Clarion county. Pa., gained a thorough
insight into the oil industry while living and laboring at Oil City. Venango
county. The immediate famih' circle to which he belonged included six
brothers and two sisters, but all of these have passed to the beyond with
the exception of himself and the two sisters. Mary Emma and Luelln Matilda.



1548 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

all residents of Bakersfield, the former sister being married to Joseph Everett
and the latter, unmarried, is a trained nurse.

The first marriage of Samuel Sweitzer took place in Pennsylvania and
united him with Miss Frances Wood, while his second marriage was solemn-
ized at Ventura, Cal, and united him with Miss Emma Pierson, a native of
Sweden. Of his first marriage there are four sons, Jesse Edwards, Adelbert
Wood, Harry and Ralph. The first and third sons are living in Los Angeles
and the second makes his home in Seattle, Wash. Coming to Califurnia
during 1893, Mr. Sweitzer first settled in Los Angeles and engaged in busi-
ness as a plumber. From the first he has been optimistic concerning the
west and has entertained a profound faith in its future growth and pros-
perity. During 1899 he removed to Bakersfield, where he since has bought
one-half interest in the Majestic at No. 1927 Chester avenue. In additii-n he
owns the Sweitzer hotel, the largest lodging hotel in East Bakersfield, and
his possessions are further enlarged by the ownership of a ranch of forty
acres situated on the Rosedale road, where he resides.

One of the chief pleasures Mr. Sweitzer has found in life has been in
hunting expeditions and in travel. Fond of sport of all kinds, he is popular
among sportsmen and has a host of warm friends among the men who, in
days past, have been his comrades in his hunting trios. His travels have
taken him as far as the countries of northern Europe and there hangs on the
walls of the Majestic the mounted head of a large moose. The heads of
other animals, commemorating other hunting expeditions, are also to be
found in the same place and are preserved by him with zealous care. In
politics he has been stanchly Democratic from yrung manhood. Fraternally
he has been actively associated with the Owls and Eagles. Frequently he has
been chosen a delegate to their conventions and is past president of the Eagles
in Bakersfield.

JOSEPH ESPITALLIER.— Althnuc^h he left France at a very early age
and since then has been identified with Kern county. Mr. Esp'tallier has not
forgotten the sunny climate or the picturesque scenery of that far-distant
land. There lived and died his narents, Francois and Antoinette fDucere)
Esoitallier. humble tillers of the soil at Ancil near Gap, denartment of Hautes-
Aloes, and there too he was born March 19, 1877, being the third among
seven children, all but two of whom are still living. The fam'ly were poor,
the struggle for a livelihood was keen, and hence he had meas:er chances
to acquire an education, for he hns been self-supporting from early years.
Coming to America during 19C0 and proceeding direct to California, he found
employment with a sheep-raiser in Kern county. Although the language was
strange ^o his ears and the customs of the peon'e different from those of his
native land, he was adaptable and eager to learn, therefore soon Droved
himself a caoable assistant in the sheep business. Durin9r l'"04 he bousfht
a small flock rf sheep and embnrked in the business for himself, afterward
ranging the drove in Kern and Invo counties along the mountains and in
the valleys. The venture proved fairlv successful and he beafan to prosper
financiallv, but a desire to have an established home and to escane the hard-
ships incident to following the ransre led him to dispose rf bis flock in 1910.
when he boueht and named Hotel des Alnes at No. 7''3 Humboldt street.
East Bakersfield. Mr. Espitall-er is still eneasred in the sheep business.

The marriage of Mr. Espitallier took place in East Bakersfield October
9. 1909, and united him with Miss Leah Grimeaud, a native of Hautes-Alpes.
France, and a lady of skill in the domestic arts, hospitality in the heme and
efficiency as an assistant in the hotel, which under their able management
has been enlarged and remodeled to meet the demands of the increasine busi-
ness. In fraternal relations Mr. Espitallier is connected with the Druids and
Loval Order of Moose.



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1549

JEAN EYRAUD.— The sect nd eldest of his parents' children, Mr.
Eyraud was burn May 12, 1863, at LaMotte, in the province of Uauphine,
France, son of Jean and Appolone (Meyer) Eyraud, the former of whom was
a shoemaker and farmer there all his life. He spent his early years at home
with his parents, attending- the public schools and aiding his father on his
farm. But he had heard reports from acquaintances who had gone to America
that California was a good field and he concluded to come hither. In 1880
he secured a passport, which was signed by his parents and the mayor, and
set out. On November 13, 1880, Air. Eyraud landed at New York, whence
he came on an immigrant train to California, arriving at San Francisco No-
vember 30. He then made the trip to Bakersfield, consuming four days in
the trip. Mr. Eyraud's energy and willingness to work was made evident in
the fact that on the day of his arrival here he procured employment with
John Jamison, roadmaster of county roads between Sumner and Bakersfield,
to chop the sage brush, and he aided in building the first road in the county,
for which lie received a salary of $.3.00 per day. He was obliged to sleep
outdoors on the ground and pay $2.00 a day for his meals. A short time
later he entered the employ of a slieepman for a year, and then obtaining on
credit a lot of sheep valued at $4,030, he engaged in the sheep business on his
own account.

In 1883 occurred an e'lisode in Mr. Eyraud"s life which he has never for-
gotten. Colonel Morrow had come to the t wn of Lone Pine from Chicago
to inspect Mt. Whitney and other high peaks, and he engaged Mr. Eyraud
as guide on his expedition, paying him $500 for ten days' service, and it was
on Mt. Whitney that Mr. Eyraud drank his first champagne in the United
States. Returning to his sheep business he continued to make that his occu-
pation until 1887, when he went to Los Angeles and was married, c n .\pril
19, 1887, to Miss Constance Alarin, who was also born in Dauphine, France.
Mr. Eyraud traveled over Southern California looking for a good place to
locate, but noticing so many nickels and pennies in use he became disgusted
and returned to Sumner where he bought the lot where he has his saloon
and restaurniit. Tliis place was nothing more tlian a sliack. liut Iv immedi-
ately started to remodel and rebuild it. It is located opposite the depot, on
Sumner street. His residence is at No. 503 Humboldt street.

Mr. and Mrs. Eyraud are the parents of two children, Henry and Inhn.
Mr. Evraud is a charter member of the Druids, which he ioined in ]'^'^3. also
a charter member of the Order of Eagles, and the Foresters of .\mcrica. He
is Democratic in political sentiment.

JEAN PHILIPP.— Coming to .America and to Kern county during 1883.
Mr. Ph'lipp, who was born .August 18, 186(3, at Can, Hautes-.Mpes, France, a
son, and youngest of four children, of Fermin Philipp, a farmer, entered the em-
ploy of a sheepman and for three years worked as a herder in the surrounding
ranges. In 18% he b ught a small band of ewes and these he rantred near
Delano. The flock increased in numbers and he was prospered in the work,
but sold the band in 1889, since which time he lias engaged in the hotel
business in East Bakersfield. At the time of settling here the town was
called Sumner and later the name was changed to Kern, but finallv the present
title was adopted upon annexation with Bakersfield. Durins: 1889 he erected
the Universal hotel on Humboldt street near Baker. In 1808 the building
was destroyed by fire, after which he built the present structure, .\mong
traveling men he is very popular as "mine host." Courtesy and affability
win fcr him the good will of those who make his hotel their headquarters.
His popularity further extends to the members of the Eagles and Druids, in
both of which organizations he is a member. Politically he votes with the
Republican party. His first marriage took place in Bakersfield in 1890 and
united him with Miss Mary Eyraud, who was born in Hautes-.\]pes, France,



1550 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

and died in Kern county, leaving three children, namely : Jean, Jr., Marcellu
and Auguste. Some time after her demise he was united with Miss Mary
Louise Bellocq, who was born in Basses Pyrenees, France, and by whom he
has_ one daughter, Jeannette. Liberal in spirit, enterprising in temperament
and generous in disposition, he forms a valuable addition to the French-Amer-
ican element so closely identified with the development of Kern county.

PERFECTO CORONADO CASTRO.— Born three miles south of Bak-
ersfield, Kern county, on April 18, 1870, he was the son of Thomas and Con-
cepcion (Coronado) Castro, pioneers of that county. He was educated in the
public school at Bakersfield until he was sixteen years old, and he was
scarcely seventeen when he took up the battle of life as an employe of Mil-
ler & Lux. In time he was entrusted with the management of the firm's
sheep-shearing department. Later he worked for a year for the Kern County
Land Company. For several years, in the sheep-shearing season, he went
north to various places and worked at his trade, empKying himself between
times to the best possible advantage and acquiring a little capital with which
he eventually bought a saloon in Bakersfield. This he conducted until 1911,
when he moved to Lost Hills, where he opened an establishment of the same
kind which, however, he soon disposed of. He then started the stage line
between Wasco and Lost Hills, continuing until that was sold, and he is
now a member of the firm of Jewett & Castro, of Wasco. Mr. Castro was also
for many years interested in the cattle business on Mount Breckenridge. As
a citizen he is public-spiritedly interested in every movement which in his
opinion promises to benefit any considerable number of his fellow citizens.
He married .\nnie Rameriz, a native of Los Angeles. Fraternally Mr. Castro
is a member of the Owls and Moose.

PETER KOSEL.— The proprietor of the Occidental Hotel and of the
Hotel Kosel, was born in Vienna, Austria, served in the Austrian army and
in 1894 came to Bakersfield, where he has become a successful man of afifairs.
Mr. Kosel's business training in his native land was in merchandising and
there he was given a thorough education. Coming to Bakersfield for some
years he ran the old German Hotel. In 1898 he became the proprietor of the
Occidental Hotel, at No. 1201 Nineteenth street. This popular hostelry, which
Mr. Kosel personally conducts on the European plan, is provided with all
conveniences for the ct mfort of its guests. It contains thirty-two rooms, is
comfortably furnished, electric lighted, clean and orderly. In 1910 he built
the Kosel Hotel at Nineteenth and N streets, which is one of the most modern
buildings in the San Joaquin valley devoted to hotel purposes. He is the
owner of much real estate in Bakersfield, including seven fine residences for
rental, all of which are cl se in and easily accessible from the business district.
The Kosel Block, which includes the hotel of the same name, is a three-
story and basement building, 66x90 feet. While Mr. Kosel gives his personal
attention to the management of the Occidental Hotel, he leases the Hotel
Kosel. Fraternally he holds membership in the Royal Arch, Eagles and
Herman Sons. He is liberal, charitable and enterprising and has always dem-
onstrated public spirit as a citizen.

GEORGE W. SEDWELL.— Descended from an old Anglo-Saxon and
Welsh family, Mr. Sedwell was born in the city of London, England, January
12, 1851, and is a son of the late Joseph and Emily (Shepherd) SedwelL The
public schools of London aiiforded him fair advantages and his vacations
were given over to work under his father, a skilled builder. Having gained
an excellent knowledge of carpentering, he determined to make his own way
in the world. The western hemisphere was his objective location, but he
lacked the funds for the long voyage. Nothing daunted by the condition of
his pocketbook, he secured employment on a ship and at the age of seventeen
landed in New York Citv. readv to earn his livelihood at his chsoen trade.



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1551

Drifting west as far as Mount Vernon, Ohio, he worked at carpentering there
for four years. Later he worked his way toward the west. During 1876 he
landed in San Francisco, where immediately he found employment as a
builder.

The identification of J\[r. Sedwell with the Southern Pacific Railroad
Company dates from the sprint;- of 1879, when he was assigned to the bridge
and building department, with headquarters at Tulare. From the first his
skill was unquestioned and his efficiency recognized. After eighteen months
at Tulare he became a traveling; carpenter. The resignation of Walter Yelland
as tunnel foreman on the hill in 1882 was followed by the appointment of Mr
Sedwell to the position, which he has since filled with unvarying devotion,
besides being foreman of bridges and building on the San Joaquin division.
Sedwell spur at tunnel 12 was named for him. Formerly he owned thousands
of acres of range land which he had bought while visiting difTerent localities,
but the larger part of this he has sold. After coming to Kern county he was
married at Tehachapi to Miss Christine Agnes Elliott, who was born in Nevada
and died in Los Angeles. Later he was united with Mrs. Mary Quinn. a
native of Nevada, and to this union a son was born, Joseph Vincent, who with
the mother now lives in Los Angeles. Prior to 1906 the family residence was
at San Fernando but since then Mr. Sedwell has spent his time principally on
the road and when at leisure has remained with his family in Los Angeles.
In politics he is a Republican and fraternally is a Mason, belonging to Te-
hachapi Lodge No. 313, F. & A. M.

LUTHER A. BATES.— The westward tide of migration which has char-
acterized the agricultural development of the new world finds illustration in
the history of the Bates family. Established on the shores of the Atlantic
ocean in the early period of national colonization, by successive removals the
family became transplanted to the western coast and now has a goodly number
of representatives in California, not the least prominent of its members l)eing
Luther A. Bates, well known of late years as a contractor and builder in
Kern and Santa Clara counties. Before railroads had been built to facilitate
travel and render easy frontier development C. B. Bates, a native of New
York, became a pioneer of Michigan and from there he drove through Wis-
consin to Alinnesota with a "prairie schooner" drawn by oxen. At the time
the great northwest was undeveloped and savages still lingered within its
borders, so that he encountered many perils and hardships in his agri-
cultural labors. At one time he enlisted and marched against the Sioux
Indians when their depredations had become intolerable. For years
he cultivated land near Mankato. Prior to the building of the railroad he was
obliged to s])end three days in hauling his grain to the market. When finally
he was able to sell the property at a financial advantage he brought the family
to California in 1884 and settled in Santa Clara county, where his last years
were pleasantly passed in horticultural pursuits. During young manhood
he had married Calista Ackerman. who was bom in New York and died in
California. In girlhood she had accompanied her father, Capt. Mark Acker-
man, a New Yorker by birth, to Minnesota, where he had for years engaged
in the lake service as captain of a vessel and upon finally retiring had settled
near Mankato on a farm.

There were five sons and two daughters in the family of C. P.. Bates and
all of these are living with the exception of one son. The youngest of the
family, Luther A., was born near Mankato, Minn., July 14. 1877. and was
about seven years of age when remnval was made to Santa Clara county. Cal.,
where he received his education in the grammar and high schools. .\t the age
of eighteen he began to serve an apprenticeship to the trade of carpenter under
his brothers, C. A. and A. C, practical and skilled workmen in San Jose.
Upon the conclusion of his time he entered the carpentering department of the



1552 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Southern Pacific Railroad and for two years worked between San Luis
Obispo and San Francisco. Next he returned to San Jose to become foreman
for the contractor, C. O. Field, with whom he continued for five years, and
then resigned in order to engage in the building business for himself. From
1906 until 1909 he erected a large number of buildings in San Jose. Removing
to Bakersfield in March of 1909, he erected a residence and maintained an office
at No. 2303 Chester avenue. Much of his work was in East Bakersfield and
includes the Brown block as well as the residences of Jack Stevenson, L. E.
Nelson, A. Stramler, Messrs. Kemp, Monon and Strobles, and the Hayes and
Murray buildings, besides which he has had the contract for the residences
of Mrs. Ida M. Dixon, James Trail and others in Bakersfield. When the
Builders' Exchange was established he became a charter member and was
elected upon the first board of directors. Fraternally he is connected with
the Woodmen of the World, the Loyal Order of Moose, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows and the Fraternal Aid. Though not himself identified with any
denomination, he is in sympathy with practical religious work and contributes
to the Methcdist Episcopal Church, of which his wife is a member. While
living in San Jose he married Miss Annie Sutherland, by whom he has two
children, James and Frances, and who is herself a native daughter of the state,
member of an honored pioneer family. As early as 1852 her father, James
Sutherland, crossed the plains to California and settled in the San Joaquin
valley, where he was an influential pioneer. Her birth occurred during the
residence of the family in Santa Clara county and her education was secured in
the public schools of that section of the state.

CHARLES E. DAGGETT.— Mr. Daggett is the great-great-grandson of
a soldier who fought in the Revolutionary war, and is of English descent,
other members of the Daggett family having also served in that war. His
grandfather came from Vermont and settled in Carroll county, Ind., at an
early day, and here his father, Edward J. Daggett, who was born in Antwerp,
Ohio, followed farming. Several brothers of Ed Daggett crossed the plains in
1849, but he himself continued on the home place, his death occurring when
Charles E. was but seven years of age. The mother, Sarah Barnes, born in
1835, in Carroll county, Ind., passed away in 1909. She was the mother of
three children, cf whom Charles E. was the youngest.

Mr. Daggett was born July 30, 1866, in Locknort, Carroll county, Ind.,
and was brought up on the farm in Indiana, attending the public schools in
his locality, and the high school in Idaville. At the completion of his course
he began his railroad career which covered many years of labor, his first
positii n being at the transportation department at Vandalia, and from there
went to Middleburg, Ky., on the railroad construction work there. He then
took up contracting and later worked on the construction of the railroad in
Indian Territory, going from there to Chicago to be in the transportation de-
partment during the Worlds Fair. He remained in Chicago until 1894, when
he began work on the construction of the Wisconsin and Michigan roads as
foreman of construction, leaving that work to take up work in the mines at
Cripple Creek, Colo. From there he went to Grand Forks, N. D., to work as
foreman on the Great Northern road construction, soon becoming road-
master, which position he held until 1901, when he took the position of road-
master of the Seaboard Air Line at Raleigh, N. C. He then became foreman
on the building of the railroad between Atlanta, Ga., and Birmingham, Ala.,
and then superintended the building of the Southern & Western roads through
the Blue Ridge Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina, but was finally
prevailed upon to return to the Seaboard road as roadmaster at Raleigh, N. C.
After holding this office for some time he resigned in May. 1909, and came west
spending several months in Seattle, Wash., and in January, 1910, located in



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 1553

Bakersfield, wliere in I'"ehriiary df that year he opened up a roal-estate business
in East Bakersfield, handling both city and country property.

Mr. Daggett was married in Minneapolis to Clara E. Mageau, who was
born there. They are the parents of one child, Lloyd. Mr. Daggett joined the
Masonic order in Raleigh, N. C, and became a member of Hiram Lodge No.
40, A. F. & A. M., still retaining his membership, and also belongs to Raleigh
Chap.er No. 10, R. A. M. He is also affiliated with the Renevolent Order of
Elks in the Crookston (Minn.) Lodge No. 342.

H. J. DOVER. — A native sen, H. J. Dover was born in San Luis Obispo
county, April 30, 1875, and at the age i f thirteen he was brought by his parents
to Kern county, where they settled in Bakersfield, the father following the
stock business. They now make their home in Santa Cruz. Bakersfield was
the home of H. J. Dover until he reached the age of twenty, when he went
to Randsburg and prospected for gold, found some rich ore and staked a
claim on Panamint range. He ne.xt went to Nevada and was in the Funeral
range prospecting for copper and gold, and he next worked for about a year
in a cop ler mine in San Bernardino county, meeting with varying success.
Altogether he spent five years in the mining business and then in 1935 came
to the Midway Oil Fields where he was one of the original locators of the
famous section 25; later he sold out this interest. At present, with several
others, he is interested in several sections at Elk Hills which they have
leased out to the Associated Oil Company, and Mr. Dover is largely interested
in other oil lands in the district. With Mr. Wilson he has invested largely in
the Elk Horn Valley Oil Lands, which is unimproved territory but has given
good indications of being productive. In 1911 he built a residence in Taft,
but recently removed to Wasco where he and his estimable wife, Lena E.
CAustin) Dover, make their home. Mrs. Dover was before her marriage a resi-
dent of Texas. They have one child living, Elsie In fraternal affiliation Mr.
Dover is a member of the Order of Eagles.

GEORGE J. RICHARD.— A native of Allendale, Canada, Mr. Richard
was born January 15, 1S64, being a son of Hugh Richard, who was reared in
New York state and from the age of twenty-five until his death engaged in
the saw-mill business in Ontario. When ten years of age George J. Richard
began to earn his own livelihood. .\t first he remained on a farm working
for his board and clothes. At the age of seventeen he became an employe on
a government surveying corps in Manitoba, whence he went to Michigan
and worked in the lumber woods in 1881. In a short time he had learned the
lumber business in its every department. Returning to Ontario in 1883, he
resumed work on a farm. During December. 1884, he went to Pennsylvania and
at Bradford started to work in the oil fields in January, 1885. It was at Brad-
ford that he became skilled in rig-building. After three and one-half years
there, a portion of the time with small contractors and the balance with the
Standard Oil Company, August 17, 1888, he began to work as head rig-builder
at Taylorstown, Pa., where he continued until May, 1890, when he was sent
by said company to Oakdale to build rigs in the McDonald field, Allegheny
county. Pa., meanwhile becoming skilled in every phase of the work.

When finally resigning an excellent position in Pennsylvania which he
had held for some years, Mr. Richard came to California, landing at Whittier
September 25, 1900. The day after he arrived at Whittier he began to work
as rig-builder with the Murphy Oil Company, continuing with the concern
until October 1, 1905. As head rig-builder for the Mexican Petroleum Com-
pany he had charge of much important work at Ebano, Mexico, but on account



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 176 of 177)