Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 29 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 29 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tion at No. 2020 I street. The institution was a success ahuost from the start.
Beginning with five students it had twenty-three before thirty days had passed
and has been growing ever since. This popular school is conducted on strict
business lines and its rooms are especially arranged, well lighted and ventil-
ated, and no expense has been spared to afford to the student every possible
convenience. The work of imparting a business education is as systematic as
if the institution were a real financial, commercial or industrial concern. In
the stenographic department students work exactly as they would work in
a business office and are instructed how to conduct themselves in a real office




cV/S-t ^ c^i^^~/ "-^-r-* - '^'^^



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 213

position. Shorthand, bookkeeping, typewriting and commercial law are taught
and a high grade of scholarship is maintained. Graduates, now filling posi-
tions in commercial and manufacturing, railroad, real estate and law ofifices are
giving satisfaction and working their way to high places in the business wurlcl.
In politics Mr. Lufkin is a Republican. He was made a Mason in Bakers-
field Lodge No. 224, F. & A. M. He was married at Reno, Nev., to Miss
Myrtle G. Reel, a native of Oregon, and they have a son, Harry Roscoe
Lufkin, Jr.

ANDREW BROWN— A summary of the splendid life of the late An-
drew Brown would be indeed lacking were the mention of his influence and
close associations in Kern county omitted, for to him not less than to any
other individual who has lived in that vicinity is due the advancement and
improvement of commercial ci editions in the county. A self-made man in
the l)est sense of the word, upon coming to Kern county he lent his aid
toward its progress, his keen foresight, wonderful business acumen and
strict honesty early winning for him resiiect and esteem from all with whom
he had dealings. The son of Samuel Brown, a merchant and farmer in Fal-
carragh. County Donegal, Ireland, it was in that place that Andrew was
born September 1.^. 1829. Ft)rtune brought him when a youth U> Philadel-
phia, Pa., whence in 1852 he sailed around Cape Horn and landed in San
Francisco. Like many of the early pioneers he rushed to the mines, but
not finding the Eldorado dreamed of he began the mercantile business and
conducted a store in Mariposa county. Later he became a farmer and
stockman in Tulare county, but soon afterward made his way to Kernville
to enter the employ of Judge Joseph VV. Sumner, who later became his
father-in-law, and had charge of operating the quartz mill of the latter.
Purchasing the store in Kernville, which later assumed such large propor-
tions, he successfully conducted it, and later seeing an opp. rtunity opened
to him whereby he could purchase the store and ranch at VVeldon on the
South Fork he became owner of them, continuing the mercantile business
at W'eldon in connection with his store in Kernville. At the same time
he began farming operations on his Weldon ranch. As business increased
he bought other farms on the South Fork and became engaged extensively
in raising cattle, horses, sheep and hogs. Large quantities of wheat were
raised on his land, and to achieve the best marketing results he built a flour
mill at Weldon, where the wheat was ground into flour and prepared for
the local trade. This saved the long haul over the mountains to the railroad.
He next built a sawmill, where he manufactured lumber from his lands,
much of his lumber being used in the building throughout that section. By
additional purchases Mr. Brown became the owner of thousands of acres
of land, among which were several thousands of acres of valuable farm lands
on the South F'ork, which have been brought under irrigation by ditches
from the river. Grain and alfalfa are raised in abundance. He also acquired
large holdings at Pampa, which are now being developed with a pumping
plant fur irrigation, as the land lies in a thermal belt which bids fair to
prove valuable citrus land.

In 1901 Mr. Brown incorporated the North and South Fork interests
as the A. Brown Company, of which he was president until his death, Octo-
ber 12, 1909, since which time Mrs. Brown has filled that position in the
company. He also had large real estate interests in Los Angeles which are
still owned by Mrs. Brown and their children. In 1904, after many long,
useful years of active participation in business, Mr. Brown retired and
moved to Los Angeles, where he made his home until he passed away,
leaving the imprint of his energetic and persevering career in the many im-
provements he had accomplished in the county. Truly he was a benefactor
to Kern county, and he was known throughout the cuunty as one of its
most prominent upbuilders, his unselfishness, dauntless courage and never-



214 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

failing will power proving a splendid example for the young men of today
to emulate. In fraternal affiliations he was a Master Mason, while his
religious tendencies were with the Episcopalians. A Protectionist and a
Republican, he was ever stanch in his allegiance to ])arty ])rinciples. For
many years Mr. Brown was a director in the bank of Bakersfield.

The marriage of Mr. Brown to Miss Alice M. Sumner took place in
Kernville June 18, 1873. She was born in Lubec, Me., the daughter of Judge
Joseph W. Sumner, a native of Newburyport, Mass., and of old Colonial
and Revolutionary stock. Judge Sumner was a merchant in Lubec, ^le.,
for some time, in 1849, however, becoming excited over the gold discoveries
and coming via Panama to San Francisco. He followed mining in different
districts in California and even into British Columbia, and he was one
of the early miners at Kernville, operating the Sumner mine and quartz
mill until he bought his ranch on the North Fork. He spent his last days
in Kernville, where he died in 1911, aged ninety-two years. Like so many
of his comrades he had ever a deep interest in mining, which he retained
to the last days of his existence. He served as justice of the peace for over
thirty years and he was so well liked and esteemed in the community that
there was not another person who held a higher place in their regard. His
wife was Mary E. Dakin, a native of Digby, Nova Scotia. She passed away
in Kernville two months after her husband's death, when she was eighty-
five years -old. They were the parents of three children, of whom Mrs.
Brown was the youngest. Her girlhood was spent in Maine and in the
schools ff Saco she received her elementary educatii.in. later attending
Saco Academy. Since her husband's death she has alternated her residence
between Kernville and Los Angeles and continues to look after the large
business interests which her husband left. She is a member of the Friday
Morning Club as well as the Ebell Club, in Los Angeles, maiking her home
at 949 South Hoover street, and she is a devout member of the Emanuel
Presbvterian Church. Her two children are P. Sumner, in the real estate
business in Los Angeles, and M. Elizabeth, who is the wife of Dr. Edward
M. Pallette, of Los Angeles. Mrs. Brown is a woman much beloved, and
numbers her friends bv her acquaintances. She is charitable and kind, but
so unostentatious in her giving that none but those receiving the benefits
are cognizant of it, and refinement, intelligence and strong will power are
her marked characteristics.

JAMES ALBIAN FREEAR.— The name of Freear has been identified
with the development of Kern county for a period of almost forty years, its
first representative in this region having been Henry T. Freear, an honored
veteran of the Civil war, a man of indomitable perseverance and a farmer of
considerable ability. After he had served the Union for three years in the
Civil war he received' an honorable discharge from the Seventeenth Illinois
Cavalry and returned to his old home, there to take up the earning of a liveli-
hood through the arts of peace. About 1875 he came to California from
Nebraska, where he had engaged in general farming for a few years. In his
trip to the west he was accompanied by his family, which at that time con-
sisted of two children beside his wife. Settling in the Old River district of
Kern county, he took up raw land, developed a farm, devoted himself to the
cultivation of the land and finally retired with a competency. During the last
years of his life he made his home in Bakersfield, where he was a leader among
the members of the Grand Army and where he was well known for his stanch
allegiance to the Republican party. Since his death, March 23, 1904, his
widow, Mary (Garhck) Freear, has made her home at No. 1709 Maple avenue,
Bakersfield, where she has a comfortable modern bungalow and where, at the
age of sixty-three, she attends to housekeeping duties with much of the zest
and energy of her younger years. In her family there are eight children,



HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY 215

namely : H. R. and C. H. : Lena, wife of R. L. McCiitchen, of Old River ; J. P. ;
John Alfred and James Albian, (twins) ; Verna, who married R. W. Bess,
lessee of the United Crude Oil Company, of Maricopa ; and Viola, wife of
William Perry, engaged as a salesman and demonstrator at Baker-sfield for
Ben L. Brundage.

The early years of James Albian Freear were passed in an uneventful
manner. Work on the home farm alternated with attendance at country
schools in Old River district. When twenty years of age in 1905 he was
graduated from Heald's Business College at Stockton. From that time until
1909 he was employed in the Santa Maria field, where he learned the details
of the oil industry and studied it from the viewpoint of production. Naturally
he began work as a roustabout. Later he learned to be a driller. More recent-
ly he has been employed in the production department of the Maricopa Queen
Oil Company. As gang pusher he has proved energetic, capable and efficient,
well liked b}' the workmen, popular among other officers. The high reputation
of the company as the owner of one of the best leases in the Sunset field may
be attributed in no small degree to his laborious and intelligent devotion to
the production department.

M. W. PASCOE, M. D.— Intense devotion to the science of therapeutics
and a thorough knowledge of the attractions, demands and possibilities of the
profession, supplementing an excellent practical training in one of the finest
universities of the new world, admirably qualify Dr. Pascoe for the building
up of a substantial clientele represented by a growing practice in the city of
Taft and the surrounding oil districts. While the period of his association
with professional work in the west has been comparatively brief (for it was
in September of 1911 that he came to California and to Taft), the confidence
and patronage of the people of the community have been accorded him and he
numbers among his friends the leading men of the locality. When he under-
took the establishment of a general hospital at this point he received the warm
support of the general public, for all saw the wisdom of his belief that there
should be first-class accommodations for the care of men injured in the work
of the oil fields or for those of the community in need of surgical treatment
or special care. The success of the hospital has been a source of gratification
to him personally besides affording him an opportunity to offer to his patients
superior advantages and experienced nursing.

Of Canadian birth and parentage, Dr. Pascoe was born at Bowmanville,
Ontario, May 10, 1871, and is the fourth among seven children and the young-
est of four sons in the family of Thomas and Margaret (Hogarth) Pascoe,
now residents of Hempton, Ontario. Excellent educational advantages were
put within his reach and of these he availed himself to the utmost. For some
years he pursued a special scientific course in Trinity University. Later he
took the medical course in the Trinity Medical College, from which he was
graduated in 1898 with the degrees of M. D. C. M. and F. T. M. C. Shortly
after graduating he came to the States and settled at Ottumwa, Iowa, where
he practiced for a period of twelve years. ^Meanwhile he developed special
aptitude for the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear and nose, and in order to
fit himself to specialize in these branches he took a post-graduate course in
Chicago during 1910-11, after which he came to California and settled at
Taft. During his residence in Ottumwa he met and married Miss Mary E.
Hendershott and they enjoy the comforts of a cozy home in a five-room bunga-
low erected by the i3octor shortly after coming to this place. During 1913
he completed the general hospital which he erected at a cost of $5,000 and
which is open to all practicing physicians and surgeons for use by their
patients, the most experienced and skilled care being given to every inmate.
Personally the Doctor is of genial and companionable disposition and he has
formed many friendships through his active identification with mernbers of



2\h HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

the blue lodg'e of Masonry, and with the Elks and Moose. In politics he has
been a stanch believer in Republican principles and a firm supporter of candi-
dates of that party.

ORVILLE LEE CLARK.— A colonial identification with the common-
wealth of Massachusetts and a later migration to Ohio marked the early his-
tory of the Clark family in America. It was Orin Clark, a native of the old
Bay state, who established his branch of the family in Ohio, settling upon
a farm in Cuyahoga county and devoting the balance of his life to its cultiva-
tion, excepting only the period of his service in the Sixth Ohio Infantry during
the Civil war. The valor which he displayed in military service and the
patriotic character of his life both in peace and in war were duplicated in
the history of his son, Wallace Watson Clark, a native of Cuyahoga county,
Ohio, and at the age of only fifteen years a volunteer in the Union army. Being
accepted in spite of his youth, he went to the front with the Fifth Ohio Cavalry
and served with recognized bravery and devotion for three years, until the
struggle had ended, meanwhile receiving several wounds in battle. For
several years after the war he worked in the employ of a large lumber con-
cern at Saginaw, Mich., but from there returned to Cleveland, Ohio, and took
up contracting and building. After a long period of activity in that occupa-
tion he removed to California in 1903 and is now living retired in Los
Angeles. During young manhood he had married Martha Celestia Newton,
who was born in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, and died at Cleveland in February
of 1886, leaving four children. The next to the youngest of these, Orville
Lee, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, March 10, 1883, and was orphaned by the
death of his mother when he was yet too young to realize his irreparable loss.
The family continued to make their home in Cleveland for some time and he
was sent to the grammar-schools of that city, later becoming a student in the
high school at Huntsburg, Geauga county. Next he studied mathematics and
mechanics at the institute in New Lyme, Ashtabula county, Ohio, and at the
same time studied architecture with Mr. White, a prominent architect of
Ashtabula. A breakdown in health obliged him to engage in outdoor work
and he took up carpentering, from which he was promoted to be superintend-
ent of construction with an Ashtabula concern.

Coming to California during 1907 and from Los Angeles to Bakersfield
in February of the next year, Mr. Clark embarked in business as an architect
and engineer and since then has been engaged to design many of the most
important buildings in the city and county. Among his contracts may be
mentioned those for the Hotels Kosel, Olcovich, and Decatur, the addition
to the homelike and attractive hotel Massena, the Dixon apartments and the
Barlow, Hill and Helm residences. The Southern garage on Chester avenue
and Twenty-fifth street represents a style of architecture which is one of his
favorites for this climate. This building is almost absolutely fireproof and has
a storage capacity of fifty cars. In addition he was architect and engineer of
the Bakersfield Club building and Mere}' hospital. Two school buildings at
Taft, admittedly the most substantial of their kind in the entire county, were
designed by him, as were also the Maricopa school house and the H. F. Wil-
liams school house, the Franklin school house and the large wing of the
Emerson school, the last three in Bakersfield, as well as the Pacific Telephone
and Telegraph Company's main office building on Twentieth street which is
a fire-proof building and one of the most substantial and artistic office build-
ings in the city. The Bakersfield Club has his name enrolled upon its mem-
bership list. Made a Mason in Bakersfield Lodge No. 224, F. & A. M., he
always has supported the philanthropic principles of the order and has been
a most generous contributor to its charities, besides being interested warmly
in the work of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Among the scientific
societies of which he is a member is the American Institute of Architects and
the National Geographic Society of Washington, D. C.



HISTORY OF KKKX COUNTY 219

HON. FRED H. HALL. — From whatever standpoint the life of Mr.
Hall is viewed, whether as a deputy sheriff and marshal in his earlier years
or as a special agent of the Santa Fe Railroad Company, whether as a mem-
ber (if the state legislature promoting measures for the welfare of his con-
stituents, whether as the owner of alfalfa lands or as a large stockholder and
director in oil organizations and in water companies, he is found to be a man
of versatile abilities, possessing a high order of intelligence, devoted to the
connnonwealth of his nativity, well informed concerning its possibilities and
eager to develop its vast resources. To such citizens may be attributed the
great development of the state and from them and their successors must
come all future advancement. No narrow spirit has governed his business
enterprises, for they have been as broad-gauged as his own mental equip-
ment and as purposeful as his own existence. Throughout the entire west
he is well-known in man}- avenues of activity, where his splendid character
and broad intelligence have left an indelible impress for good.

A study of the Hall genealogy indicates that Fred George Hall, a native
of Portland, Me., learned the occupation of nurseryman and horticulturist
under his father, who for years engaged in that avocation in Maine. As
early as 1852, when about thirty-four years of age, he came via Panama to
San Francisco and engaged in mining at Mormon Island. During the Civil
war he served in California and .Arizona as a member of Comoany I, Second
California Cavalry. After receiving an honorable discharge from the army
he became interested in horticulture and the nursery business east of Visalia,
Tulare county, but a long period of invalidism greatly hampered his activi-
ties. His death occurred at Visalia in July of 1893, when he was seventy-iive
years of age. During 1907 occurred the demise of his wife at Fresno, this
state ; she bore the maiden name of Matilda Dillon and was born at Peoria,
111. Their family comprised two sons and four daughters, but at this writing
there survive only Fred H. and one of his sisters. The former was born near
Visalia, Tulare county, this state. May 17, 1868, and from the age of four to
twenty years he lived with his parents at Tulare. After he was ten the
invalidism of his father prevented him from attending school and forced him
to work not only for his own support, but also to aid the family. Indeed,
for Si me time he was the sole support of the family. He worked in brick-
yards, harvest fields and wherever honest labor commanded living wages.
During 1888 he took the family back to Visalia, where he secured employ-
ment as deputy city marshal under E. A. Gilliam. In addition he served as
deputy sheriff. For one term, beginning about 1892, he served as marshal of
Visalia, but he was not a candidate for re-election, continuing, however, as
deputy sherifT and deputy city marshal and in these capacities making about
thirty-four hundred arrests, some of the suspects proving to be desperate
criminal characters. \\Miile acting as marshal O. P. Byrd served as his
deputy.

Subsequent to his service in Tulare county Mr. Hall entered the special
agents' department of the Santa Fe Railroad, where during the first fourteen
months his duties consisted chiefly in investigating stolen goods and the
pilfering of box-cars. From that he was promoted step by step until finally
he was appointed assistant chief of the department with headquarters in Los
Angeles. The duties of the position consisted in hiring men and superintend-
ing the department work between .Albuquerque and San P^rancisco, also in
collecting evidence in law suits and investigating matters that came up in
the law department. Often it was said concerning him that he was the only
man serving in the office who left the railroad company without an enemy.
Railroad Brotherhoods and legislative boards wrote him very complimentary
letters of thanks for his services. In every responsibility he exhibited not
only wise judgment and practical connnon sense, but also the utmost tact
and the greatest consideration of others.



220 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Resigning from the Santa Fe railroad service in 1906 in order to engage
in private business and havins; previously purchased oil lands, Mr. Hall be-
came a large stockholder in the Visalia Midway Oil Company and assisted
in the development of lands secured by that concern. From the first he has
been vice-president and general manager of the company and under his saga-
cious supervision the work of development has proceeded without any ne-
cessity for an assessment of stock. On the other hand, there has been an
assured income for investors. Near Fellows on the west side the company
owns eighty acres, where there are five wells producing and two in process
of drilling. It is said that the company for its size is one of the most pros-
perous in the state. The success of the enterprise may be attributed in
large measure to the sagacity of the general manager. The oil lands, how-
ever, do not represent the limit of his useful activities. As vice-president
and the largest stockholder of the Western Water Company, a company
organized to furnish water for the west side oil fields, he has been identified
with a movement of considerable importance. By an expenditure of over
$500,000 the company has secured water from the artesian wells near the
north end of Buena Vista lake. This water, pumped through a twelve-inch
line for a distance of twelve miles to Taft and then stored in two tanks of
fifty-five thousand barrel capacity in order to furnish pressure for the villages
of Taft and Fellows and vicinity, was the first water of good quality ever
secured in the locality and the expense to consumers is only one-quarter for
domestic use, and one-sixth for oil wells, of what was formerly paid for
poor water. On the organization of the National Bank of Bakersfield he
was elected a member of the board of directors, and is now serving as its
vice-president.

Included among the other interests of Mr. Hall may be mentioned his
alfalfa and hog ranch of two hundred acres situated four miles southeast of
Kern. One of the most important improvements of the ranch is a pumping
plant with a one hundred-inch stream. In addition he is interested in the
development of oil in Humboldt county, Cal., where already top oil has been
struck. As a member of the California Oil Men's Association of Bakersfield
he is connected with an organization that fosters this recent and nrosnerous
industry of the west. Upon the organization of the Western Oil Producers'
Association, with headquarters in Los Angeles, he has served as a member of
its board of directors. The advisory board of the American Mining Congress
also has the benefit of his intelligent co-operation as one of its members. •
Mr. Hall is an active member of the Prospectors' Alliance of America.
Having made a close study of the question of conserving our natural re-
sources and being a man well-posted on the subject, he was selected by the
executive committee of the board of directors as a committee of one to pre-
sent the case to President-elect Wilson, then Governor of New Jersey. The
chief object was to acquaint Mr. Wilson with the conditions that exist in the
west which directly afifect the mining interests and the disposition of the



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 29 of 177)