Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 54 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 54 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


field high schocil and now employed as a bookkeei^er ; Francis H.. who is
serving in the L'nited States navy, at present on the steamship Connecticut;
Roy J., teacher of piano; I-ldwin A. and Ellen.

LORRAINE PARR GUIBERSON.— The genealogy of the Guiberson
family is traced back to Scotch and Norwegian blood, but indicates an identi-
fication with the new world dating back tu the pre-Revolutionar\- period and
shows a long line of ancestors prominent in the professions and in business
circles. Following the westward drift of migration, each successive genera-
tion left further behind it the Atlantic seaboard and the limitations of the east.
The first to seek the unknown possibilities of the Pacific coast regions was
Samuel Allen Guiberson, a native of Ohio and in early life a farmer in Iowa.
A love of adventure and a desire to see the west led him to join an expedition
of emigrants in 1858. The most eventful occurrence of that long journey
across the plains occurred during a brief halt at I-'ort Earamie, \Vyo., where
he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Ellen Greene, a lineal descendant
of General Nathaniel Greene and of General Stark, of Revolutionary war
fame. Arriving at their destination the young couple settled on a ranch in
Napa county, but about 1868 moved from there to \''entura county and re-
sumed agricultural pursuits in the new environment. Fairly well prospered
by his long and sagacious activities as a farmer. Mr. Guiberson is now living
retired in Ventura county and bears well the weight of his seventy-six useful
years. His wife died in Ventura county at the age nf about sixty-five. Eight
children formed their family, the eldest of these being Lorraine Parr, born
in Napa county September 27. 1863. The second son. Hon. J- W. Guiberson.
an extensive dairyman and rancher in Kings county, residing at Corcoran,
is a member of the California state legislature of 1913. The third son. Na-
thaniel Greene, prominent in the oil industry and a dealer in oil-well sup-
plies, has traveled throughout the world and is now^ in South .\merica in
the interests of his business. The fourth son. Samuel .-\llen. Jr.. now livin.g
retired in San Francisco, was for years one of the best known oil operators
in the Coalinga field. The fifth son. William Richard, a resident of Los An-
geles, formerly engaged in the oil business, but more recently has devoted
his attention to the invention and development of a smudge pot for raising
the temperature in orange groves. The three daughters of the family are
as follows : Zuleika. wife of R. S. Hazeltine. manager of the British Con-
solidated Oil Company, of Coalinga; Carrie Luellyn. who resides with her
father at Fillmore, Ventura county; and Blanche, who married John B. Mc-
Nabb. the president and a large stockholder of the Sespe Land and Water
Company.



464 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

When five years of age L. P. Guiberson was taken to Ventura county by
his parents, who sent him to the country schools there and trained him wisely
for the practical affairs of life. In order that his educational advantages might
go beyond the curriculum of the home schools he was sent to the University
of Southern California and while a student there he formed the acquaintance
of Miss Frank I\I. Fry, likewise a student in that institution. The young
couple were married in July, 1887, at Bakersfield, the home of her parents,
the late John A. and Mattie J. Fry. In the early history of Kern county
Mr. Fry had been a well-known figure. For several years he engaged with
Messrs. Haggin and Carr as superintendent and he continued in the position
when the interests of those gentlemen were merged into the Kern County
Land Company. Mr. and Mrs. Guiberson are the parents of two daughters,
Ramona and Ellen Bernice. The elder daughter, now a student in the Uni-
versity of California at Berkeley, has had the advantage of a thorough musical
training under Hug(_) Mansfeldt, the celel)rated pianist of San Francisco.

After two years in the drug business at Santa Paula and three years in
business in the east, Mr. Guiberson returned to Santa Paula and engaged in
ranching near that town. However, he soon sold the ranch in order ,to
identify himself with the educational profession of Ventura county. For
two years he engaged in teaching. While engaged as principal of the Bards-
dale school in Ventura county the summer vacation of 1895 afforded him
two months of leisure. More as a matter of diversion and recreation than
with any intention of changing his occupation, he took his wife and infant
daughter up to the mountains in Ventura county and pitched his tent at a
point overlooking the Old Tory oil field. Soon he became intensely interested
in the matter of oil j^roduction and secured employment as roustabout for
the Union Oil Company in the Old Tory oil field. Before the vacation of
two months had ended he was engaged as tool-dresser on the Union property
and was making more money than was possible in teaching. Thereupon
he resolved to continue in the business at least one year. It is worthy of
note that he has remained at the work up to the present time and has lost
only two days in all the years of his identification with the industry ; further-
more, in changing positions he has always gone from a good to a better one.
By the end of his first year he was a driller. For four years he remained with
the Union Oil Company and then resigned for the purpose of drilling a wild-
cat well for Clark & Sherman of Los Angeles. The well was drilled on the
Chaffee ranch adjoining the Troy, but no oil was found and the enterprise
proved futile. Entering the employ of the Modelo Oil Company in the Peru
field in Ventura county, he thus became identified with the oil interests of
W. H. Crocker and associates of San Francisco. For three years he was
engaged as a driller and for two years as superintendent, after which he
became superintendent for the 28 Oil Company at Coalinga, also for three
adjacent leases.

Resigning after seven months with the 28 Oil Company, Mr. Guiberson
became superintendent of the California Monarch and the California Diamond
Oil Companies, in which responsible posts he continued for five years. Dur-
ing 1910 he became superintendent for the Petroleum Properties Syndicate,
Limited, whose successor, the British Consolidated, Limited, continued him
in the same position of trust. These two concerns were controlled by boards
of management, but when the latter company sold out to the Indian and
Colonial Development Company, Limited, December 1, 1911, the ownership
of the properties passed into the hands of another corporation organized under
the laws of England, but by power of attorney Mr. Guiberson was given
control of all matters pertaining to the development of the lease. This is
said to be the only instance in all California where a large corporation has
given full power of attorney, as well as complete management, to one man.
The fact bears evidence as to his judgment and ability.



HISTORY OF KERX COUNTY 467

The Indian and Colonial Development Company. Limited, owns one
hundred and twenty acres on section 22 and a similar acreage on section
23. 32-2.S. The lease is completely ei|uippe(l with electrical jidwer for pump-
ing. Twenty-two wells have been completed and well No. 23 is now
being drilled. The average depth of the wells is about one thousand feet.
Eighteen wells are producers, turning out an oil of fourteen degrees gravity,
and averaging a monthly production of thirty thousand barrels. The loca-
tion of the company main residence was personally selected by Mr. Guiber-
son and affords a most enchanting view and an inspiring outlook.

In social and public matters Mr. and Mrs. Guiberson are prominent and
the latter has been a leading member of the Women's Improvement Club,
which provided and now maintains the public library of Taft. In religion
they are of the Methodist faith. Fraternally Mr. Guiberson is a Royal Arch
Mason and in ]wlitics votes with the Democratic party. Since he came to
his present location in March, 1910, he has witnessed the remarkable growth
of Taft and has seen a city spring into existence as if by magic. In the
work of upbuilding he has been a factor. The Petroleum Club numbers
him among its ciiarter members and urganizers. .\nnther enterprise that
commanded his warmest support was the securing of a school building
on section 26, township 32, range 23, now known as the Hill school of the
Conley school district. With other progressive citizens, he bore a part in
organizing the First National Bank of Taft in 1911 with a capital stock of
$25,000. From the first he has been a director and in January, 1913, he
was elected vice-president. The institution has been successful in a re-
markable degree and already has deposits aggregating $500,000. Upon its
organization the directors bought the building and fixtures of the Taft branch
of the old Oil and Metals Bank of Los Angeles, but during 1912 a more suit-
able structure was orovided by the erection of a substantial hank tniilding
on the corner of Fifth and Center streets.

JUDSON H. JORDAN.— The vice-president of the IJakershehi .\hstract
Compan\- descends from an honored famih' of cnlduial \'irginia, whose
splendid record in the professions and as cotton planters has been excelled
only by their military achievements in the early French and Indian strug-
gles, the Revolution and the war of 1812, the Mexican war and that sanguinary
contest of the '60s between the states. Genealogy fails to give the exact
date of the emigration of the first .American representative from England,
but it is known to have been shortly after the first attempt at colonization
in Virginia, Keen, forceful mentality has characterized every generation,
as evidenced in the lives of John H. Jordan, a planter of the Old Dominion,
and his sen. Rev. John C. Jordan, an influential and prominent minister in
the Baptist denomination and a graduate of the Philadelphia Theological
University. Shortly after the young Baptist clergyman entered upon his
ministerial career he married ^fiss Lucy H. Tyler, an own cousin of John
Tyler, the tenth president of the United States. In eastern ]iulpits he won
distinction and accomplished much for the spiritual uplifting of humanity.
-An opportunity for enlarged ministerial usefulness led him td bring his family
to California in 1



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 54 of 177)