Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 55 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 55 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


proved with suitable buildings, including a modern, substantial residence
erected in 1910. The whole forms a place attractive to the eye, interesting
to the stranger and profitable to the owner, whose energetic supervision ap-
pears in even the smallest details connected with the ranch.

From the age of seven years Air. Freear has considered Kern county his
home and he has lived here through all this time with the exception of three
years spent in Mexico. A native of Nebraska, he was born near Lincoln,
Lancaster county, June 25, 1869, and is a son of H. T. and Mary Freear,
who also are represented in this work. Immediately after the family came
from Nebraska to California he was sent to the Kern county public schools,
where he took the regular course of study in the ensuing years. At the age
of twenty he was graduated from the Stockton Business College and for
six months afterward engaged as a bookkeeper in Bakersfield. Being accus-
tomed to an outdoor life, he' soon found sedentary employment too confining,
therefore gave up his position and aided his father on a farm. With his broth-
ers he next engaged in the cutting of wood in the Panama district. When
finally three hundred and forty cords of wood had been cut he had earned an
amount sufficient to justify an investment in land.

Upon acquiring the title to twenty acres on section 29 in the Old River
district, Mr. Freear put the land in vines, intending to specialize with grapes,
but these he found unprofitable. Meanwhile, in order to earn a livelihood,
he had gone to Chiapas, Mexico, as an employe of an uncle on a sugar plan-
tation. A portion of the three years in Mexico was given to hunting for
plumed birds along the west coast. On returning to California he ])urchased
twenty acres adjacent to his first tract, so that he owned forty acres in one
body, all under cultivation to alfalfa. Ujjon selling the place to a lirother he
bought one hundred and sixty acres located nine miles southwest of Bakers-
field and on this ranch during 1910 he erected a modern residence that is con-
sidered to be one of the finest country homes in the district. In addition to
operating the home place, the larger part of which has an unusually fine stand
of alfalfa, he and his brothers, Charles H. and Joseph, in 1912 leased five hun-
dred acres from Miller & Lux. The large tract being under cultivation to
Egyptian corn, their success was .so gratifying that they leased about one
thousand acres the following year and their efforts resulted in a bumper crop,
demonstrating that the soil and climate make Kern county a leader in the pro-
duction of Egyptian corn. While the care of so great an acreage necessitates
constant labor and untiring energy, the returns have justified the procedure
and at the same time lia\-c added further pri^of concerning the cro]) possibil-
ities of the countv.



476 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

The principles of the Repubhcan party receive the support of Mr. Freear,
whose intelligent advocacy of progressive measures marks him as one of the
public-spirited men of his community. His marriage took place in the Old
River district July 2, 1908, and united him with Miss Bertha Weingartner, a
native of the vicinity of Tully, Onondaga county, N. Y., and a daughter of
Albert and Nancy (Barrett) Weingartner, also natives of New York state.
When eight years of age Mrs. Freear came to California in company with
other members of the Weingartner family. During girlhood she was a pupil
in the public schools of Tehama and Glenn counties and since her marriage
she has co-operated with her husband in an earnest adherence to principles
of justice and progress, generously sustaining movements for the material,
educational and social upbuilding of the district.

JOHN M. JAMESON. - The history of the Jameson family in Cali-
fornia dates back to the era of the discovery of gold, while in America
the genealogy is traced to colonial Virginia, John M. Jameson, Sr., having
been the founder of the name to the west of the Old Dominion and having
lived for years among the frontier population of Missouri near the city of
St. Louis. While 3'et a mere lad his son, William T., had served in the
-Mexican war and had gained an enlarged comprehension of the riches of
our vast domain during the period of his service in the southwest. Soon
after the expiration of his term in the army with his father he crossed the
plains in 1848 with "prairie schooner" and oxen. The trip into California
aroused in him a desire to locate permanently in the west, hence after a
brief sojourn in Amador county he returned to Missouri via Panama, in-
terested others in an expedition, secured the necessary supplies, procured
a mule-team and carriage for his mother and sisters, and taking every
precaution against attacks from Indians, slowly made his way across the
plains with a large following of emigrants. For a time after his arrival
he engaged in mining, but later took up agriculture and during 1874 he
became a resident of Kern county, where after a year at Glennville he
settled in Bakersfield. The little village was unattractive in appearance
3nd in prospects, but he discerned its possibilities and decided to remain.
There being no house to rent, he secured an old blacksmith shop, repaired
the building and made it the family home for several months until it was
possible to erect a small cottage to shelter wife and children. With fair
success for years he engaged in teaming, carried on general farming, oper-
ated a ranch on the Cottonwood road and owned a cattle ranch on Mount
Breckenridge. During the '80s he served as county treasurer for two
years. His death occurred at his homestead near Kern in February of
1909 when he was eighty 3'ears of age. .\fter coming to California he had
married in Amador county Miss Annie Kendall, who. was born near
Portsmouth, Ohio, and died in 1888. Her father, R. .\. Kendall, a native
of Ohio, brought the family via Panama to Amador county, but later
removed to Sutter county, where his last days were passed.

The family of William T. and .A.nnie (Kendall) Jameson comprised ten
children, of whom six are now living, four being sons. Of these E. R.
resides in San Francisco, J. R., in Graham, Tex., and F. H., in Glennville,
Cal. John M., who is next to the eldest among the surviving sons, was
born at Fairplay, Eldorado county, Cal., August 31, 1863, but has been a
resident of Kern county since 1874. His education was secured in the
public schools nf Kern, .\fter three years as clerk in a store at Kern and
a similar period as superintendent of a ranch owned by Sol Jewett he drifted
into farming and stock-raising and acquired the title to a ranch on the
Cottonwood road comprising three hundred and twenty acres. On that land
his father lived, while he gave his attention to general contracting and




M O^^^AAJUj->^



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 55 of 177)