Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 63 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 63 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ap')ointment from 1900 to 1906. He prepared plans for a sewer system which
were accepted by the board of trustees, and bonds were voted for the purpose,
but afterwards for some reason many changes were made in the original plans
by another surveyor at the instigation of the board. Manfully Air. Evans
opposed these changes, claiming that they were not practical as far as efificiency
and permanency were concerned, and so positive was he of his position in the
matter that he considered it ex])edient for him to resign from the office when
his advice was not considered. The necessity for the late sewer contract of
1913 has demonstrated that his o])inion was correct. Since his retirement
from office he has engaged in the private practice of surveying and civil engi-



564 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

neering, being located in the Maud building on Chester avenue. Not only in
Keni county but in other counties of the state he has at different times been
retained as expert engineer in the courts. He laid out the town of Lost
Hills. Pentland and Lerdo, laid out and superintended the construction of the
new race track upon which the world's automobile record was broken, besides
doing other work of a most responsible nature connected with the line of his
special endeavors. In February, 1913, he was appointed a member of the
Kern County Highway Commission to prepare plans and estimates for the
improvement of a system of highways for Kern county. Upon their recom-
mendation the tax payers of Kern county voted $2,500,000 in bonds for the
purpose.

Throughout the period of his citizenship in the United States the Repub-
lican party has had the allegiance of Mr. Evans and the Congregational Church
has received his stanch support in religious movements. Fraternally he is
identified with Bakersfield Lodge No. 266, B. P. O. E. and is also a very
prominent Mason. Indeed any mention of his fraternal and social activities
would be incomplete without considerable reference to his association with
Masonry. While in Wisconsin he was made a Mason in Racine Lodge No. 18,
F. & A. M., to which he belongs at the present time. Upon locating in Bakers-
field he transferred his membership from Racine Chapter, R. A. M., to Kern
Valley Chapter, R. A. M., also from Racine Commandery No. 7, K. T., to
Bakersfield Commandery No. 39, K. T., of which he is a charter member and
in which he has held every office. Chosen in 1908 as eminent commander,
he was again elected to that office in 1912 and is the present incumbent,
besides being actively associated with Al Alalaikah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.
in Los Angeles.

ROBERT M. HOLTBY.— The movement of migration to Canada was
largely promoted by a sturdy class of Englishmen who aided in its agri-
cultural development by their own patient perseverance and untiring labors.
It was in this manner that the Holtby famil}' came to be associated with
Canadian farm advancement. .Several generations of the name assisted in the
upbuilding of their own community. Upon a large farm near Manchester,
Canada, Robert M. Holtby was born March 7, 1847, and in the same locality he
received a common-school education, also acquired a thorough knowledge of
farming and stock-raising. From his earliest recollections he had heard much
concerning the western states. The discovery of gold in California was still a
popular theme of conversation during his boyhood. It was said too that this
state offered greater inducements to farmers than to miners and thus he
early determined to seek the Pacific coast. At the age of nineteen years he
sailed from New York around the Horn to Oregon, where he engaged in
teaching school for six months. On August 26, 1867, he left Oregon for
California, where afterward he made his home until death. With money given
him by his father he invested in sheep and started a ranch on the White
river in Tulare county. In time he enlarged his range and increased his
flock. His operations became very large in extent and represented an im-
mense outlay of money. While in large degree he prospered, he met with
many reverses, for the sheep industry always has been characterized by
many "ups and downs." During one severe winter he lost six thousand head
in the deep snow.

The management of so large a business necessitated the employment of
many men and in his dealings with these employes Mr. Holtby always dis-
played the dee)3est consideration and most kindly forbearance, as far as pos-
sible overlooking their mistakes, but also showing an appreciation of any
special work which they did in his behalf. With ranges widely scattered
and flocks in different parts of the state, he left their management to trusted
employes, but maintained a close personal supervision of all. For several
vears he made his home on a ranch on Poso creek twelve miles from Bakers-



HISTORY OF KERX COUNTY 565

field. From 1886 until his removal to Bakersheld he lived on the Troy ranch,
one of the most highly cultivated farms in the entire county. This he sold
in 1891 and during the same year removed to BaUerstield, where he erected
a large, cirmfortable residence. It was his intention to plant shade trees and
improve the property, but ere his dreams had been realized he was called from
earth, March 7, 1892, on the day that he was forty-five years of age. The era
of struggle had been passed, the days of hardship and toil were to be replaced
by a life of greater ease, he was about to enter upon a realization of the
fruits of his privation, sacrifices and strenuous labor, when death cut short all
hopes of an earthly future. Of Christian principles and manly virtues, he
belonged to the type of citizenship of inestimable value to any community and
his passing called forth many testimonials of regard from friends of long
standing. After he became a citizen of the United States he adopted Repub-
lican principles, but never mingled actively in politics and at no time allowed
the use of his name as a candidate for office.

The marriage of Mr. Holtby was solemnized in San Francisco May 6,
1880, and united him with .Miss Celia Woodman, who was born at Paw Paw,
Mich., and belongs to an old family of New England that became established
on the Atlantic coast as early as 1635. The original home of the family was in
England. It was the privilege of Mrs. Holtby as a young girl to receive ex-
cellent educational advantages and she is a woman of the highest refinement.
Religion has mingled with the other elements that give gentleness and beauty
to her character. An attendant upon the services of the Episcopal Church and
a contributor to its maintenance, she has found happiness in her religious faith
and usefulness in its charitable functions. Her only child, Mrs. Roberta Mor-
gan, resides in Bakersfield. Since the death of her husband she has continued
to occupy the home which he built for her.

OSCAR GLANVILLE, Ph.C— The eldest of four children, Oscar Glan-
ville was born at Dover, Kan., June 18, 1885, being a son uf William J. and
Mary (Sage) Glanville, natives respectively of Missouri and New York. The
mother died in Kansas and the father, who still makes his home at Bond, that
state, has for years .engaged extensively in business as a merchant and miller.
After having completed the. studies of the Dover public schools Oscar Glan-
ville was sent to the Topeka high school and there finished the prescribed
curriculum. Next he matriculated in the Kansas State University at Law-
rence, where he remained until he received the degree of Ph. C, upon grad-
uating in 1904. Immediately after finishing his studies he secured employment
in the pharmacy of a Topeka druggist and later was engaged similarly at
Parsons. During May of 1905 he went to Arizona and found work in a
pharmacy at Prescott. Coming to California in January of 1906, he first
engaged as a pharmacist at Riverside, but during July of the same year he
removed to San Diego. Tweve months later he became a pharmacist with the
Owl Drug Company at Los Angeles and after six months went to San Fran-
cisco in the interests of the same concern. After two years with that organ-
ization in San Francisco he engaged to go to Honolulu for Benson, Smith &
Co., and spent six months on the famous islands in the ocean, with his
headquarters in the capital city, where he was both salesman and pharmacist.
Upon returning to California he spent four months with William England of
Marysville and then was an employe for seven months with the Neve Drug
Company of Sacramento, after which he spent a year as a pharmacist with a
large drug firm in Los Angeles. From that city he came to Mojave in
February of 1912 and purchased the Peterson drug store, which since he has
conducted under the title of O. Glanville. In addition to the usual stock of
drugs, sundries, proprietary medicines and Rexall remedies, he carries a line
of Eastman kodaks, also acts as agent for the Columbia and Edison phono-
graphs and keeps in stock samples oi the various styles and .sizes, togetiier



566 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

with rectirds fur each. L'pon the cirgjanization of the Knights of the Desert he
became one of the charter members. In politics he is a Democrat.

REV. FATHER JOHN P. HOLDEN.— The f^rst pastor of St. Francis
CathoHc Church in Bakersfield was Rev. Father P. Carasco, who was followed
by Father P. Bannon, whose pastorate extended to June, 1894. Father Jo-
seph O'Reilly ministered to the congregation until 1897, when the work
was taken up by Father P. Lennon, whose earth!}- labors came to an end
December 11, 1904. At his death he left a bequest of about $2,000 toward
the erection of St. Francis Church. Father Lennon bought the lot at K and
Eighteenth streets and built the first house of worship about twenty years
ago. He afterward bought the site of the present church at I street and
Truxton avenue. During his pastorate he had charge also of missions at
Delano and Wasco, now separate churches, and of the congregation gath-
ered at Kern, now East Bakersfield. He ministered also to the Indian mis-
sion at Fort Tejon, and services are still conducted there. For a few weeks
after his death Father Quinlan had charge of the pastorate, he being fol-
lowed by Father Frund, who was appointed pastor, and he it was who
built the brick church and bought the St. Francis rectory. The Sisters of
Mercy secured the St. Clair property near the Santa Fe depot for hospital
purposes in 1910 and in 1911 abandoned it for the present site on Truxton
avenue, to which they removed the St. Clair house, which was enlarged and
remodeled. However, even this was inadequate, and in 1913 they erected
an entirely new building facing Truxton avenue. This is a reinforced con-
crete and brick building, 108x48, three stories with basement. The present
capacity is thirty-six rooms for patients, in addition to wards and two oper-
ating rooms. Modern heating and cooling systems with other up-to-date
features make this one of the best equipped hospitals in the country.

During Father Frund's time he had several well remembered assistant
priests — Father Lawrence Donleavy (now deceased). Father John Kelly,
Father Schiaparelli and Father Leo Von Garsse. The assistants of Father
Holden have been : Father Joseph Daumas, now of Fresno, then Father
De Munick, now cf Los .Angeles, Father Marton, now of Oxnard, and the
present assistant. Father Morris.

Rev. Father John P. Holden is the present pastor of St. Francis Catholic
Church, having been appointed to the charge in November, 1910. He was
born at Belleville, Ontario, Canada, May 31, 1865, a son of David Holden,
manager of a lumber manufacturing firm, who lived his active years at
Belleville, and passed away there, as did also his wife. Her maiden name
was Mary Byrne, and she became the mother of six children. Father Holden
being the third in order of birth. The latter was educated at a parochial
school at Belleville and at St. Jerome's college, Berlin, Ontario, where he
made a specialty of classics and theology and where he was graduated in
1895. He was ordained to the priesthood at Hamilton by Bishop Dowling,
October 20, 1895, and became secretary to the Bishop and afterwards chan-
cellor of the Hamilton diocese and superintendent of Catholic schools under
Bishop Dowling. Later he was for five A^ears pastor of St. Joseph's Church
at Hamilton; but, because of throat difificulties, he resigned to come to Cali-
fornia, and in 1910 came to Los Angeles. Before coming to Bakersfield he
was acting rector of St. John's church in Fresno, during the temporary
absence of Monsignor McCarthy in Europe. The parochial school of St.
Francis's church was established in 1910 and now employs four teachers.
Among the organizations of the church are the St. Francis Congregation
Altar Society, the St. Vincent de Paul Society, the Ladies' Aid Society and
the League of the Sacred Heart, the Sodality of the Children of Mary, the
Young Ladies' Sodality, the Sanctuary Boys' Society, the St. Cecelia Choir
and the Society of the Knights of Columbus, which is included in the
Bakersfield branch of that order.





y ^ ^^!^^L,^..c,akersfield living with their mother, who sold her ranch in the oil fields and is
living retired. Mrs. Laird is a member of the Christian Church and she and
her children are well known and highly respected throughout the community.

W. J. HOLLAND. — The secretary and treasurer of the Rotary Disc
Bit Company, Incorporated, was born at Wigan, England, August 12, 1859,
and upon the completion of a common-school education he served an appren-
ticeship with a firm of mechanical engineers in his native town. At the ex-
piration of a term of fi\'e years he se\-ered his connection with J. S. Walker
& Bro., in 1881, and immediately shipped for the United States, settling in
San Antonio, Tex., where he engaged in the tea and coffee business and
built up considerable patronage both in wholesale and retail lines. Holland's
tea store is now an institution of the southern city and is being conducted
efficiently by his father, but after six years in the work he left San Antonio
for Missouri and at Sweet Springs, that state, married Miss Eleanor Haw-
kins, daughter of a well-known physician of San Antonio. One year was
spent in ]\Iissouri and one winter in New Mexico, after which he removed to
Alabama, settled at Birmingham and remained in that city for eleven years,
meanwhile engaging with the Hawkins Lumber Company as manager.

Coming to California in 189*5 Mr. Holland settled at Fair Oaks, where
he still owns a ranch. In order that his three children, Walter H., Eleanor
and Ruth, might have educational advantages, he removed to Berkeley and
they completed the high-school course in that city, since which time they
have been students in the University. During April of 1910, Air. Holland
came down to Fellows to take charge of the townsite work as an employe
of Jamieson, Wrampelmeier and Strassburger, and in that capacity he helped
to plat and lease the lots. Since then he has remained in the town, where he
represents the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company of Hartford, and is also
acting as an official in the Rotary Disc Bit Comjiany. In July of 1011 Ik- was
appointed justice of the peace at Fellows, and has since held that office in



570 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

the seventeenth township of Kern county. In religious belief he has been a
Presbyterian and his family are active in that church.

SAMUEL CALVIN LONG, M.D.— The call for volunteers in the
Union army during the Civil war received a quick response from Hugh
Long, a native of Mercer county, Pa., who went to the front with a regiment
from his commonwealth and gave faithful service until the expiration of his
term of enlistment. With the close of the war he exchanged the uniform of
a soldier for the homely garb of a tiller of the soil and thenceforward for some
years gave his attention to the management of his farm in Mercer county,
where he also operated a coal mine on his land. Accompanied by wife and
children in 1879 he removed from Pennsylvania to Iowa and settled in the
southwestern part of the state. After ten years in Ringgold county he crossed
the line into Taylor county and bought land near Lenox, where he engaged
in agricultural pursuits until his death in 1891. His wife, who survived him
for some years and died in Iowa during December of 1899, bore the maiden
name of Florinda Campbell and was born in Mercer county, Pa., of Scotch-
Irish lineage ; her mother lived to be ninety-six years of age. The family
of Hugh and Florinda Long comprised ten children, namely : Alonzo, who
died in infancy: James Campbell, of Lompoc ; Mark, a farmer near Hanford,
Cal.; Dr. George L., a physician in Fresno: R. A., who died in Fresno: Anna,
residing near the old home at Lenox, Iowa; ^Irs. Margaret Wyant, of Clear-
field, Iowa; Wilbert M., of Clearfield, Iowa: Mrs. Susie Gordon, of Lenox,
that state; and Saiuuel Calvin, the youngest of the family circle and the only
one to settle in Kern county. F>orn near Pardee, Mercer county. Pa., August
16, 1871, he grew to manhood upon an Iowa farm and received his education
principally in country schools. He can scarcely recall when he first deter-
mined upon a professional career. At first his studies were directed toward
the occupation of pharmacist and during July of 1897 he was graduated with
the degree of Ph.G. from the de]:>artment of pharmacy, Highland Park Col-
lege, at Des Moines.

Almost coincident with his arrival in California in August, a month after
his graduation, the young pharmacist secured a position in a hospital at
Fresno, and for two years had the most valuable experience as interne and
pharmacist. During this time he determined to continue his studies with a
view to becoming a physician. For some years he was a student in the
Hahnemann Medical College of the Pacific, at San Francisco, from which he
was graduated May 13, 1901. Returning to Fresno, he entered the office of
his brother. Dr. George L. Long, but in a short time he determined to seek
a new location. October 5, 1901, lie arrived in Bakersfield, a stranger in a
strange city. For some years past he has maintained his office in
a suite of rooms in the Woodmen of the World building. As a member of
the American Institute of Homeopathy and the California Homeopathic
Medical Institute, he has maintained an intimate identification with organiza-
tions for the upbuilding of his chosen branch of therapeutics, and is medical
examiner for several old line insurance companies. His fraternal relations
have been and still are very important and it has been a source of pride to
him that he has been chosen medical examiner by the various orders with
which he has local association, including the Woodmen of the World, Fra-
ternal Brotherhood, Knights and Ladies of Security, Degree of Honor,
Women of Woodcraft, American Yeomen, American Nobles and Independent
Order of Odd Fellows. He was made a Mason in Bakersfield Lodge No. 224,
F. & A. M., is a member of Los Angeles Consistory No. 3, Scottish Rite, and
Al Malaikah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Los Angeles.

The home of Dr. Long at No. 1715 Seventeenth street is presided over
hospitably by his wife, who is a woman of culture and was educated in Simp-
son College at Indianola, Iowa. Their marriage was solemnized in Lenox,
Iowa, in October of 1902, Mrs. Long- having- been Miss Nona E. Adams, a



HIS'r()K\- Oi' KF.RX c()l■^■T^• 573

native of IJelle Plain, Marshall county, 111., and a daughter of Thomas and
Mary ( liarton) Adams, the former horn in Pittshurg, Pa., and the latter in
Cincinnati, Ohio, of English lineage, .\fter he had removed from Pennsyl-
vania to Illinois Mr. Adams served as a private in the One Hundred and
Se\enth Illinois Infantry during the Civil war. Later he continued to culti-
vate farm land in Illinois until 1882, when he removed to Iowa and settled
upon a farm. His last days were spent in Lenox and there he passed away
in 1908. A man of local prominence and civic pride he served for one term
a-; supervisor and gave his support to movements for the material upbuilding
of his count)-. His widow now makes her home with Dr. and Mrs. Long at
Uakersfield. She hatl four other children: \\ . 1!.. wiio is a farmer at
Dixon, 111.; E. M. and N. D., both of Des Moines; and Chester, now living
in Kansas City. ^Irs. Long was next to the eldest in the family and was the
on])' one to settle in California. Prior to her marriage she taught several
terms of school. ^Ir. and Mrs. Long are members of the Congregational
church, to the work of which both have been generous contributors. They
are the parents of two children, Mary Oneita and Hugh Thomas. In ]5olitics
[he Doctor is stanchly Republican.

W. P. MONROE. — The Monroe family has the distinction of belonging
to the fine old jjioneer element of California. In every instance its members
ha\e exhibited the utmost loyalty toward the great west and wherever known
iheir name is a synonym for patriotic devotion and progressive spirit. The
founder of the family on the coast was Wesley Monroe, a native of Illinois
and a member of that great throng of immigrants whom the discovery of gold
brought to the then unknown country beside the sunset sea. As early as 18.50
he settled in what is now Tulare county. Later he lived in Sonoma county
and followed the occupation of ranching, his large herds being permitted to
lange over miles of uninhabited territory in evei y direction from his ranch-
house. He married Elizabeth Condry, who was born in Tennessee and died in
1''06 in Tulare county. Their family numbered seven children, one of whom,
J. D., is a wealth)- stock-raiser in Tulare county. Another member of the
family, W. P., was born in Sonoma county, this state, March 26, 1864, and
during boyhcod aided in the care of the stock in Tulare and Kings counties.
I'Vom Tulare he came to Kern county in 1899 and in 1901 began to work for
the Petroleum Development Company, being promoted to the position of
manager in 1906 after five years of energetic efforts in less responsible
Lapacities. He has charge of the wells of the Petroleum Development Com-
pany located on section 2, township 29, range 28.

While promoting the interests of the company Mr. Monroe has acquired
lands of his own and is now the owner of eighty acres of land, situated on
.-ection 34, township 28, range 28. .\ part of the tract has been placed under
irrigation and the balance is available for similar work, the proximity of the
Kern river proving of the greatest importance to water development. W'ith



Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 63 of 177)