Copyright
Wallace Melvin Morgan.

History of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; online

. (page 70 of 177)
Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 70 of 177)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


be grown in the district. On his ranch he has sunk three twelve-inch wells;
on one ranch of one hundred and sixty acres he installed a fifty horse-power
Western engine, which yields a capacity of two hundred inches of water.
This latter property he is rapidly putting into alfalfa. He is a stockholder
of the Security Trust Companv of Bakersfield. He was married in Santa
Cruz, January 1. 1890. to Miss Roxana J. Adams, born in Essex
county, Vt., the daughter of Jonathan C. and Elizabeth (Babcock) Adams,
born in A^ermont. Her parents, who were farmers, still reside in A^'ermont.



642 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Mrs. Underwood came to California in 1888. Her uncle, Moses Adams, was"
a pioneer of Modesto.

For some years Mr. Underwood has served as a clerk of the board of trus-
tees of Fruitvale School District, and in this capacity his intelligence and
sagacious judgment have been very helpful to the free educational system
of the community. Politically he is a Republican in national issues. He has
always stood for public improvement and organized and was president of
the Rosedale Improvement Club, and through that organization set out shade
trees on each side of the Rosedale road for eight miles between Rosedale and
Bakersfield. For years he has been identified with Masonry and has enjoyed
fraternal relations with Bakersfield Lodge No. 224, F. & A. M.

WILLIAM BREUCH.— The first representative of the Breuch family
to seek a home in the new world was Peter Breuch, a native of Witzenburg,
Germany, and a wheelwright by trade, who at the expiration of his appren-
ticeship when eighteen years of age crossed the seas to the United States and
secured employment in Georgia. His marriage united him with Miss Johanna
Wagner, a native of Georgia and now a resident of Denver, Colo. From
the south he removed to Wisconsin prior to the opening of the Civil war
and settled at Madison, where he was employed at the trade of wagon-maker
Twice during the progress of the Rebellion he ofifered his services to the
Union, but each time he was rejected on account of injury to his leg. Dur-
ing 1871 he removed to Colorado and settled in Denver, where he resided
until death, meanwhile engaging in business as a carriage-maker. Of his
twelve children all but three are still living and the third in order of birth is
William, born at Madison, Wis., July 18, 1864, and reared in Denver, Colo.
At the age of eleven years he was taken from school and apprenticed to the
trade of machinist in the Denver & Rio Grande shops in Denver, where he
completed the trade prior to the age of eighteen. For eleven years alto-
gether he continued in the same shops and meanwhile he had attended night
schools, so that his education had not been entirely neglected.

After two years in the machine shops of the Union Pacific Railroad in
Denver and three y^ars in the shops of the same road at Como, C( lo., ]\Ir.
Breuch spent several months at Pocatello, Ida., in the shops of the Oregon
Short Line. Coming to California in June of 1890, he entered the Southern
Pacific shops at East Bakersfield on the 1st of July, 1890, and there held a
position as machinist. During 1901 he was promoted to be foreman of the
machine shop, in which capacity he has continued up to the present time,
being now the oldest employe in the plant in point of years of continuous
service. He has given his attention very closely to his chosen work and has
taken little interest in public affairs. Politically he is independent. .After
coming to Bakersfield he was made a Mason in Bakersfield Lodge No. 224,
F. & A. M., and he also holds membership with the Uniform Rank, Knights
of Pythias, and the Woodmen of the World.

The residence of Mr. Breuch, erected under his personal supervision,
stands at No. 508 Monterey street and is presided over by Mrs. Breuch, a
lady of culture and gracious courtesy. Prior to their marriage, which was
solemnized in Denver, July 23, 1885, she bore the name of Ella Sutherland.
Born and reared in Denver, she had the advantages ofifered by the excellent
schools of that city. At the time of her removal to California she was in
such ill health that Colorado physicians had abandoned all hope of her re-
covery. Her present excellent health she attributes to the fine air and un-
excelled climate of Bakersfield. The family of which she was a member and
in which she was next to the eldest comprised fourteen children, seven of
whom are now living. Her parents were Prof. Alexander and Anna (Mills)
Sutherland, the former a native of England, the latter a southern lady. The
paternal grandfather was a Scotchman by birth and ancestry and for years



HISTORY OF KERX COUNTY 645

served as an officer in the English army, in which Alexander Sutherland also
served as bandmaster and triimpeteer. During the memorable battle of
Balaklava the trumpeteer served in the first platoon and sounded the first
charge of the Light Brigade under Lord Carrigan. He was one of the few
survivors of the charge and received a wound from which he never fully
recovered. L'pon leaving the army service he crossed the ocean to New
York and for a time taught music in St. Joseph, Mo., but in 1859 crossed the
plains to Denver, where he organized the first band in Colorado. For years
he engaged in teaching band instruments and his reputation as a musician
and instructeir was the highest. His death occurred in Denver about 1908
and his wife died in that city thirteen years prior to his demise.

FRANCIS M. CARLOCK.— The memorable era of the '50s found the
Carlock family established among the pioneers of California. The father,
(ieorge I\I. Carlock, who had taken his wife and children from Adams county,
111., to Clark county, Mo., made only a brief sojourn in the latter location, but
in the summer of 1853 brought his family to the coast via the Platte route,
settling at Georgetown, Eldorado county, and trying his luck in nearby mines.
Neither the occupation nor the locality proved satisfactory and accordingly
he turned his attention to ranching in Washington and there s|5ent his last
days. By his marriage to Margaret E. Rohr, who was born in (iermany and
died in Kern county, Cal., he had a family of eight children. Of these we note
the following: A. B., born February 8, 1833. is a resident of Portland, Ore.;
Elizabeth, Mrs. Carter, born September 15, 1834, now lives at Lodi, Cal.;
[acob, born April 28, 1836. also makes his home at Lodi; Ervin \V., liorn
December 3, 1842, died at Ashland, Ore., October 14, 1912; Francis M. and
Mary (twins), were born in .\dams county. 111., August 12, 1844. the latter.
Mrs. Pease, dying near Lcdi, Cal., at thirty-eight years of age; Ceorge H.,
born August 27 , 1847, died in Oakland in November, 1911 ; and Hiram M.,
born May 28, 1855, makes Portland his home.

When a little less than nine years of age Francis M. Carlock crossed
the plains with his parents and he recalls vividly his anxiety on account of
the close proximit}- of the Indians. Their depredations among other emigrants
were recounted frequently and caused him great concern as to their own
safety, but the end came in due time and without any attacks from the
savages. While he had limited opportunities to attend school he yet acquired
an excellent education. After clerking a time at Ft. Jones, Siskiyou county,
he entered Heald's Business College in San Francisco, from which he grad-
uated in 1868. Returning to Siskiyou county he became head bi.okkeeper
for his brother, A. B., in a mercantile lousiness at Ft. Jones some distance
ftom the railroad and near the mountains. During 1871 he went to Portland,
Ore., and for a year was connected with a mercantile business, but in 1872
returned to California and became a pioneer of Bakersfield. The first resi-
dence in what is now East Bakersfield was built by him in 1874 and he also
started in the lumber business there, but in a short time he moved his
yards to what is now the corner of Chester avenue and Eighteenth street,
Bakersfield. This was the first lumber yard in the town and for some time
he carried on the business, but in 1889 the fire completely destroyed his
yards and material, after which he did not resume the business. Altogether he
was burned out three times and on two occasions, notwithstanding the fact
that he had sustained a total loss, he rebuilt. From the time of his arrival
in the city until 19C4 he also engaged in the transfer business, eventually
selling out and retiring from business activities. For thirty-two years his
dray-teams were to be seen upon the streets.

Since his retirement from the transfer business Mr. Carlock has gi\en his
attention to looking after his varied interests. In I'last Bakersfield he has
held valuable ];roptrty. including a residence mi the corner of Kern and



646 HISTORY OF KERN COUNTY

Humboldt streets and four stores. It is his intention to improve some of the
vacant property he now owns. Some years ago he built the Overland stables
on Eighteenth street and in 1888 erected a residence at No. 1623 H street,
both of which he still owns. From its organization he has been interested in
the Superior Oil Company operating at Maricopa and in addition he owns
stock in the Sunset Security Oil Company in the Sunset field. In politics he
always has supported the Republican party. As early as 1865 he became
associated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Fort Jones, Sis-
kiyou county, and in 1876 he identified himself with the lodge at Bakersfield,
of which he since has been an honored member and which now he serves as
financial secretary. May 1, 1870, at Fort Jones, Siskiyou county, he married
Miss Emma E. Tucker, who was born at Milton, Pike county. 111., and during
1865 came across the plains by ox teams with her father, Walter W. Tucker,
a Kentuckian by birth. After a six-months trip they first settled in Marion
county. Ore., but later came to California. The Tucker family were devoted
adherents of the Christian Church and Mrs. Carlock is a firm believer in that
faith, aiding in the charities and missionary movements of the church to the
extent of her means. Of her marriage seven children were born, but a heavy
bereavement came in the loss by death of four of the number. Warren and
Edmund R. were still in their infancy when taken from the home, the former
being only two months old. The eldest of the family circle, Charles C, died
in Bakersfield in 1904, and the youngest, Inez, wife of Duncan McLennan,
passed away May 12, 1911, at the family residence in 'this city. Harriet E.
and Howard W. reside in Bakersfield. the latter being engaged in a livery
business here, while Iva, Mrs. Ha3res, makes her home at Healdsburg, this
state. The latter's daughter. Azalea, took the prize as a child orator when
nine years of age. The Carlock family are of German descent and migrated in
1816 to Virginia, where members of the famih' still reside and where in 1916
there will be a home-coming and gathering of their descendants from the
different parts of the Union.

JOHN LEWIS WASSON.— John Lewis Wasson was born near Pleas-
ant Grove. Des Moines county, Iowa, April 7, 1844, and was the son of John
and Ruth (Sherwood) Wasson. The parents were natives of Sandusky,
Ohio, and were early settlers of Des Moines county. Iowa, where thej^ died
of cholera in 1849. Of their six children John L. is the third in order of
birth and the only one now living.

After his parents' death Mr. Wasson went to live on his Grandfather
Wasson's farm in the same county, receiving his education in the public
schools. In 1864 he crossed the plains with an ox-team to Oregon, where
he was employed until 1868. He then came to Stanislaus county, remaining
until 1871. when he returned to his old home in Iowa, While there he was
married, February 7, 1872, being united with I\Iiss Sarah E. Wilhite, who
was born in Washington, Iowa. Her father. E. K. Wilhite, a native of Ohio,
was married in that state to Sarah Carr and removed to Washington, Iowa.

In 1873 John Wasson with his young wife came to Hanford, Cal., located
a homestead of eighty acres in Mussel Slough and proved up on it. In 1883
he sold this place. From 1885 to 1887 he" farmed on White river, Tulare
county. Being entitled to another eighty acres of homestead land, in 1887
he located eighty acres one-half mile west of Delano, which he has im-
proved and where he now makes his home. For many years he was engaged
in raising grain on the plains, but now he devotes his land to raising alfalfa,
having improved it with a well, pumping plant and reservoir.

Of the union of Mr, and Mrs, Wasson there are six children: Ida Bell,
Mrs, Merrill, Lucy May, Mrs, Johnson, Nettie Martha, Mrs, George Small,
all of Delano; Martin resides in Monmouth, Ore,; Grover is assisting his
father on the home ranch and Minnie is unmarried. Always interested in




^^CL/cytZa^







Online LibraryWallace Melvin MorganHistory of Kern County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county who have been identified with its growth and development from the early days to the present; → online text (page 70 of 177)