Pullman an* Stewart
U'EST PULLM. l.\ .si
West rullman Land Association
President, JACOB P. SMITH
Vice- President and Treasurer, - - STEPHEN A. FOSTER
Secretary, - - VERNE S. PEASE
THOMAS S. CRUTTENDEN, STEPHEN A. FOSTER, J. P. SMITH,
ARTHUR DIXON, W. B. JUDSON, A. J. SMITH,
L. T. DICKASON, VERNE S. PEASE, GEORGE E. SIMPSON,
C. B. EVANS T. J. RYAN, THOMAS A. WRIGHT,
all of Chicago.
A. M. STONE, of Worcester, Mass.; T. KING and P. E. PRESBREY, of Boston.
CITY OFFICE: 4O3 Home Insurance Building,
SUBDIVISION OFFICE: 12OOO Halated Street,
fM.tr ()/' \\'l-.sr rri.I.MAX AND STEWART Kinci-: MAY /.'/; FOUND AT THE END OF THIS PAMPHLET.)
CENTRAL PORTION OF WEST PULLMAN
Looking west front cgrner of Parnel] avenue and i2oth street toward factory district beyond Halsted street. The qld Morgan farm, of
which this was a part, bad only one bouse upon it up to 1892.
M November 6, 1891, the West Pullman Land Association, of Chicago, purchased
the tract of land lying south-west of Pullman and Kensington, that had previously
been known as the Old Morgan Farm. This tract contained about 480 acres, and
the purchase price was at the rate of $2,500 an acre. It was a fine piece of rolling
land, the eastern part of which reached an elevation of 45 feet above the lake and
was heavily wooded, while the western and southern portions had an elevation of
from 23 to 30 feet. It had long been known and distinguished by these charac-
teristics from many other portions of the Calumet region.
Early in 1892 this property was subdivided, and the work of development begun. The
higher and wooded portion above referred to, and lying east of Butler street, was set aside
exclusively for the finer class of residences. This part now constitutes Stewart Ridge, and fur-
ther account of its advantages as a residence suburb, together with views of its streets and the
homes there located, will be found in the later pages of this pamphlet.
Separated by nearly a mile from Stewart Ridge is the portion of the property that was laid
out for manufacturing plants and the cheaper homes of their employes, and in the intervening
section, lying between the manufacturing district on the west and Stewart Ridge on the east,
retail and general business streets were established, and the building restrictions were made less
exacting than in Stewart Ridge, thus providing for homes of a moderate cost.
December 1, 1900.
All of the industrial plants at West Pullman are located in this section limited on the east
by Halsted street and on the west by Loomis street, thus having a total length of three-quarters
of a mile. Here, from time to time since the laying out of the town, manufacturing concerns
have been located, until we now find the imposing array of the Piano Manufacturing Company,
the Whitman & Barnes Manufacturing Company, the Chicago Malleable Castings Company, the
Carter White Lead Company, the Phoenix Shoe Company, the Opaque Shade Cloth Company, the
Chicago Pail Company, and several minor concerns.
Eleven manufacturing concerns at West Pullman with capital and surplus of $6,605,000
Number of hands employed at West Pullman 3, 780
Number of hands employed at Pullman 6,258
Number of hands employed at Burnside 2,000
Total number of hands employed in tl.e vicinity of West Pullman, 12,038
Yearly pay-roll at West Pullman $2, 000,000
Yearly pay-roll at Pullman, 3,832,291.98
Yearly pay-roll at Burnside 1,000,000
Total yearly pay-roll in the vicinity of West Pullman $6, 832,291. 98
THE OPAQUE SHADE CLOTH COMPANY'S PLANT
On Peoria street. 40,000 square feet of floor space; 125 h jrse pjwer. Plans are already perfected for large additions to be made to
this plant immediately. Blue Island is seen in the distance.
THE CARTER WHITE LEAD COMPANY'S PLANT
At corner of i2otb and Peoria streets. 160,000 square feet of floor space in plant; 500 horse power, Established 1892.
Fronting on i2oth street.
THE PLANO MANUFACTURING COMPANY'S PLANT
This building, which is 1000 feet long, is only one of the many large buildings of this plant, which has a total
floor space of fifteen acres, and uses 1500 horse power.
THE PLANO MANUFACTURING COMPANY'S PLANT
View from south of Illinois Central. The Piano Manufacturing Company first removed its plant to West Pullman in 1894, and has since
made large additions to keep pace with the rapid growth of its business.
RAILROAD ^ n preparing f r the location of these great manufacturing concerns, the promoters
FACILITIES f West Pullman early made provision for unrivalled railroad facilities. The
Illinois Central Railroad Company soon after the location of the town, constructed
its Blue Island branch throughout the entire east and west length of the property along One
Hundred and Twenty-first street, and located three stations Stewart Ridge station between
Harvard and Stewart avenues, West Pullman station at Halsted street, and the station now
known as Piano at Center avenue. The Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis (the Pan
Handle, of the Pennsylvania railway system) already crossed the property from north to south and
established passenger and freight stations at One Hundred and Nineteenth and One Hundred
and Twentieth streets. The Chicago, Rock-Island & Pacific Railway Company built in from the
west, and established its freight station at Morgan and One Hundred and Nineteenth streets.
THE CHICAGO MALLEABLE CASTINGS COMPANY'S PLANT
At izoth street and Center avenue. Established 1899. Covers 5j^ acres; 2 smelting furnaces of daily capacity of 12 tons each; 10
annealing ovens, capacity of 25 tons each The Illinois Central tracks at the right, and the terminal
tracks operated by the Chicago Terminal Transfer Company at the left.
(4) THE CHICAGO PAIL COMPANY'S
20,000 square feet of floor space; 100
(5) THE INGLIS PHOTOGRAPHIC SUPPLY
38,000 square feet of floor surface;
75 horse power.
(i) THE PHCENIX BOOT AND SHOE COMPANY'S PLANT
On Peoria Street. 50,000 square feet of floor space in plant;
200 horse power.
(2) CHICAGO BRASS BED FACTORY
(3) WEST PULLMAN STATION ON ILLINOIS CENTRAL
at Halsted Street
The Land Association constructed a system of terminal tracks connecting these
three trunk lines and reaching all parts of the factory district. This system of termi-
nal tracks is now owned by a local railroad company the Chicago, West Pullman
& Southern Railway Company, and is operated by the Chicago Terminal Transfer Company,
(sometimes known as the Calumet Terminal) which recently secured access to West Pullman.
This last named Company has established an office there for the purpose of serving more promptly
and satisfactorily the needs of the manufacturing concerns there located, and a special engine
and crew attend to all switching. The shipping facilities thus afforded are unsurpassed.
A shipment, whether it be of many car-loads or of so small a part of a car-load as 2,000
pounds, can thus be shipped by any one of the factories on freight trains of the Terminal Com-
pany, which will bring the shipment to Chicago and forward over any one of the twenty-six
Chicago railroads running to all parts of the country at regular Chicago rates. No switching
charge whatever is made against the consignor, this being absorbed by the road to which the
freight is consigned, and all truckage charges are also eliminated, as the terminal system of
tracks runs to the door of each of the manufacturing plants. This item alone has saved one of
the plants there located over $18,000 annually. Provision has been made for the extension of
these facilities on the same advantageous terms to any industrial concerns that may hereafter be
located at West Pullman.
It should further be borne in mind that West Pullman is right in the territory through which
practically all of the great Eastern and Southern railway systems pass, and is directly accessible
to them all for either freight or passenger service. The Chicago and Eastern Illinois, the Mich-
igan Central, and the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis, are only a mile distant at
Kensington; the Baltimore & Ohio, the Erie, the Wabash and the Monon are some two miles
distant at Burnside; the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne & Chicago
and the New York, Chicago & St. Louis are readily reached at Grand Crossing; and the Grand
Trunk and the main line of the Rock-Island are but a short distance west at Blue Island.
During the year ending June 30, 1900, the Rock-Island, Illinois
AMOUNT OF Central, and Panhandle roads
FREIGHT HANDLED AT Took into West p u ll man 134,032 tons.
WEST PULLMAN ...
Forwarded from West rullman 73.35 tons.
On the terminal tracks of the Chicago, West Pullman & Southern Railroad, an average of
46/4 loaded cars a day were handled during the first two and a half months of their operation
by the Chicago Terminal Transfer Co.
CORNER OF 119TH AND HALSXED STREETS
Showing tracks of Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (Panhandle); station at the left.
Another of the chief advantages that has caused manufacturing enterprises seeking
locations to prefer West Pullman over other industrial points is the large and
unfailing market of skilled labor there found. The proximity of West Pullman to
Pullman and Burnside is a large factor in this connection. According to the annual report of
President Lincoln, of the Pullman Palace Car Company, the average number of names on the
pay-roll at Pullman for the past year was 6,258, and the wages paid were $3,832,291.98, mak-
ing an average of $612.38 for each employe, including men, women, boys and girls. The
Illinois Central shops at Burnside employ over 2 ooo people, with an annual pay-roll of over
$1,000,000. Adding these figures to the aggregates given above for West Pullman factories, we
have a total of over 12,000 employes in this territory of only a few miles square.
THE WHITMAN & BARNES MANUFACTURING COMPANY'S PLANT
From the east. When this plant was first established at West Pullman in 1894, this Company had large plants also at Syracuse,
New York, and Akron, Ohio, but it has since concentrated its business at West Pullman on account of the superior advantages there
found, the Syracuse plant having been entirely abandoned in 1897, and one department after another having been removed to West
Pullman from Akron. The Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific freight station appears at the right. Morgan Park and Beverly Hills are
seen in the distance. , ,
THE WHITMAN & BARNES MANUFACTURING COMPANY'S PLANT
Fronting on izoth street. This front building is 600 feet long; 250,000 square feet of floor space in plant- 1500 horse power.
WRIGHT BLOCK, on Halsted Street.
PLUMBER'S STORE, on i2otb Street.
The Federal census of 1900 gives the southern portion of the 34th Ward, includ-
ing West Pullman, Roseland, Kensington and Pullman a population of 30,0x30
people. Nearly 8,000 of these are properly credited to the towns of West Pullman
and Stewart Ridge.
The growth in population of the southern portion of this city during the last ten years has
been phenomenal. While the entire city of Chicago has gained, according to the Federal
census, 598,725 people since 1890 being at the rate of increase of 54.44% a record far
beyond that made by any of the other large cities of the country, the three southern wards of
the city lying south of 63rd and 55th streets have gained 124,425 people, or at the rate of 165%,
which is more than three times the rate of gain of the entire city. Of these three southern wards,
the 34th in which West Pullman is located, made altogether the largest gain, its population hav-
ing increased 60,953, or at the rate of 202%; while the 33rd Ward, in which South Chicago is
located, gained 25,853, or at the rate of 99%, and the 3ist Ward, lying west of the 34th Ward,
gained 37,619, or at the rate of 193%.
Looking north across i2oth street. West Pullman Post-Office at the right. Land Association office at the left.
Tracks of Calumet Electric Street Railway.
KNEELAND BLOCK, on Halsted Street
A large majority of the residents of the three southern wards are within easy reach of
West Pullman by the Calumet Electric Railway system, which gives a five cent fare over all its
lines, reaching east into the heart of South Chicago and west to Auburn Park and Washington
Heights, as well as covering practically all of the 34th ward. On its West Pullman division
alone, this Railway Company carries on the average 7,242 people daily, or a total of 2,643,330
people in a year.
The Illinois Central suburban express trains give frequent and rapid service to the southern
portions and to the center of the city.
Looking west from Wallace street. Tracks of Calumet Electric Street Railway. Through cars on this road to 63d street, where
they connect with South Side Elevated and surface roads direct to heart of city.
CORNER OF BUTLER AND 120TH STREETS
Moreover, the Calumet region contains, in addition to the large population in the southern
portion of the city, prosperous and rapidly growing communities outside the city limits.
Morgan Park is a mile northwest of West Pullman; Blue Island is a mile and a half southwest;
Harvey is two miles directly south; while Dolton, Hammond and East Chicago lie to the
southeast. West Pullman, being situated near the center of this district, is in a position to reap
more than its share of the benefit from the increased inter-communication and inter-dependence
that is sure to come among these Different sections.
Looking south from ngth
STATE BANK OF WEST PULLMAN
At corner of i2oth street and Lowe avenue. Bank established 1894.
BRANCH OF CHICAGO PUBLIC
LIBRARY, LOCATED IN THIS
BUILDING, GIVING DAILY
STORE FRONTS ON 120TH STREET.
Looking east from Union avenue.
But while West Pullman thus enjoys the advantage of
being a part of Chicago and within reach of so large a
laboring population, it at the same time enjoys great
advantages over many of the more congested sections of
the city. The laboring people living there own their own
homes and are contented. No strike or serious labor diffi-
culty has ever been known in West Pullman. The laboring
people have their lodges and societies, but aggressive or
offensive organizations are unknown. There is not a union
factory or shop in the town.
RESIDENCE OF REV. FATHER FOLEY.
Looking south from I2oth street. Congregational church in center.
CHURCH OF CHRIST,
In fact, the western and central portions of West
Pullman as distinguished from the higher-priced section
of Stewart Ridge afford every opportunity for cheap,
good and contented living. The property there is of low
price, ranging from $350 to $500 per lot; and if a home-
seeker lacks either the means or the inclination to build,
a company having capital and surplus of $200,000, and
especially organized for this purpose, stands ready to con-
struct such a home as may be desired, to be paid for on the
monthly installment plan.
Indeed, there is no dearth
of capital for developing
West Pullman, and it is
already recognized by con-
servative investors as one
of the sections of the city
in which it is safe to lend
money upon mortgage se-
curity and at a reasonable
rate of interest.
Looking north from i22d street. All the houses on both sides of this street built within the last three years and sold
on monthly installment plan
MARKET AND GROCERY STORE ON 120TH STREET
Completed November, 1900
The Pullman Loan and Savings Bank had, October i, 1900:
Savings Deposits $1,201,316
Individual " 310,102
The people not only get cheap homes, but they get cheap living. In this section of the
town are located excellent markets, groceries and general stores. Marshall Field & Co., the
Fair, the Hub, Siegel & Cooper's, and the other large down town stores, give daily and
free delivery in West Pullman and Stewart Ridge.
CORNER 120TH STREET AND LOWE AVENUE
When the Old Morgan Farm was purchased by the West Pullman Land
Association in November, 1891, the larger portion of it was already within the
corporate limits of Chicago, and the balance of the property was annexed in
February, 1895. Thus were secured to West Pullman and Stewart Ridge the
great advantages of the Chicago water supply, of Chicago schools, and of
Chicago fire and police departments. This also insured Chicago mail delivery and Chicago
telephone and telegraph rates. A branch of the Chicago public library was there established,
and is generously patronized. Chicago companies furnish gas for cooking and illuminating
purposes, and electric lights at the same rate as in other portions of the city.
PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDING
Corner i2oth street and Parnell avenue. Width, 100 feet; depth, 200 feet. The first building of 8 rooms erected in 1893.
building of 16 rooms added in 1900. High School (4 years course) established 1900. Manual training
department established November, 1900. Total attendance October, 1900,
913 pupils. High School attendance, 117 pupils.
But the progressive promoters of West Pullman and Stewart Ridge early entered upon
still greater undertakings for the development and improvement of this property. Two main
sewers the famous Wentworth avenue sewer, of a diameter of io$4 feet, furnishes an outlet
for the lateral sewers in the streets of Stewart Ridge while the new Halsted street sewer, with
a diameter of 4^ feet, takes care of the factory district and the central portion of West Pull-
man. Sewer and water pipes having been laid, the streets were finely macadamized, and Port-
land cement sidewalks placed.
ELEVEN MILES of streets, improved with
Portland Cement Sidewalks,
At cost of $345,000 all paid for by the Land Association.
With its natural advantages thus improved and developed, it was inevitable that West
Pullman and Stewart Ridge should grow and flourish, in spite of the fact that within a year from
the date of their founding, the real estate market of Chicago experienced the unprecedented
depression from which it is just now, with the beginning of the new century, recovering.
The building restrictions that were imposed on the lots sold were graded ac-
occTni^Tirkwc cording to the relative merit and value of the different localities. Thus was
given adequate protection to those purchasing in Stewart Ridge, and the build-
ing of the fine class of homes now found in that portion of the property was thus insured. Each
year the town made substantial growth. Hardly a season has passed without some 30 or 40 new
residences being added. New and better stores have been opened. Schools have been enlarged,
and churches of all denominations erected.
Looking north from I2oth street
HOMES ON EGGLESTON AVENUE
Looking south from I2otb street.
Three frame houses and brick apartment built in this block during summer of 1900.
chapel is now in process of construction here.
HOMES ON STEWART AVENUE
Looking south from izoth street, across Illinois Central tracks. Stewart Ridge station between this street and Harvard avenue,
At corner of i2zd street.
At corner of Harvard avenue and izad street, built in summer of 1900.
STEWART RIDGE STATION.
The Stewart Ridge Station, on
the Illinois Central, is within five
minutes' walk of each of the twenty-
four blocks that make up this sub-
division, and the Suburban Express
Service of this road makes thirty-eight
minute time to the Van Buren Street
Station, near the heart of the business
and retail district of Chicago. It is
expected that this running time will
be still further reduced to accommodate the increasing patronage at Stewart Ridge. Sixteen
trains each way, daily, are run by the Illinois Central to Stewart Ridge and West Pullman, and
further passenger accommodation is afforded by the Panhandle Road, the Chicago & Eastern
Illinois, and the main line of the Illinois Central, all of which are readily accessible by the cars
of the Calumet Street Railway, which run every ten minutes along the northern boundary of
Stewart Ridge and West Pullman.
The country surrounding Stewart Ridge is very beautiful, and the walks and drives in that
neighborhood are most charming.
The Calumet River is but a few blocks south. This wide and placid stream winds between
picturesque and wooded banks. Perhaps the best known portion of the river is at Wildwood,
where Col. James Bowen long ago established his country home.
COL. BOWEN'S OLD COUNTRY PLACE AT WILDWOOD
At the statign of that name on Illinois Central. This is part of the proposed
Members of the Special Park Commission of Chicago, on their recent visit to Wildwood ex-
pressed keen delight and appreciation of the virgin beauty of this woodland, of its magnificent
growth of elms, maples, oaks and firs, of its ravines and river bluffs, and of its distant landscapes.
This property is situated at the south end of State Street and
Michigan Avenue, and the Calumet Electric Street Railway
already runs its cars to Gardner's Park, within two blocks of the
property, while the Illinois Central has a station just to the
east. Several hundred thousand people are thus within easy
reach of this property and are hoping that the Special Park
Commission will succeed in its effort to preserve here a most
lovely natural park. Indeed, this Wildwood tract, situated as
it is at the end of Michigan Avenue, the greatest of the city's
boulevards, should be but a link of a superb park-way, run-
ning along the bank of the Calumet River, south of Stewart
Ridge and West Pullman, all the way to Blue Island, and thus
connecting with the fine rolling country lying south and west
of the Blue Island and Morgan Park range of hills.
This country is crossed and re-crossed by good roads,
affording drives of unending variety and charm. Its beauties
are just beginning to be known to the people
of Chicago, and the location of the Midlothian
Country Club, southwest of Blue Island, of the
Homewood Club at Flossmoorand the Ellersie
Cross-Country Club at Beverly Hills, are
attracting seekers for country homes to this
southern section. All of these clubs are within
easy driving distance of Stewart Ridge, and
plans for a local golf club at this subdivision
are already being made.
OLD BLUE ISLAND AND RIVERDALE ROAD
This road forms northern boundary of Wildwood property,
which the Special Park Commission of Chicago has visited and
recommended as a site for a beautiful natural park. This is half
a mile south of Stewart Ridge.
ON THE BLUFF AT WILDWOOD
Overlooking Calumet River.
RAVINE AT WILDWOOD
Banks 20 feet high are hidden by the heavy foliage.
CALUMET RIVER AND HARBOR.
The Calumet River, as a navigable water-
way, is already under the control of the Federal
Government to a point beyond West Pullman,
and none but swinging bridges are allowed to
be built across it. When the well matured
project for deepening and widening this river
is put into operation, the great natural beauty
of the stream and its banks can, if care is only
exercised, be preserved and enhanced.
The early improvement, for the purpose
of navigation, of the Calumet River to Blue
Island and beyond is assured. The Trustees
of the Sanitary District of Chicago have already
made plans for the annexation to the Chicago
Sanitary District of the Calumet region, and for the building of a ship canal across from the
Calumet River along Stony Creek and the old canal feeder to the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal
at the Sag. It is admitted that such a tributary canal must be built before the Chicago Canal