Copyright
Whitelaw Reid.

Ohio in the war : her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers (Volume 2) online

. (page 155 of 165)
Online LibraryWhitelaw ReidOhio in the war : her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers (Volume 2) → online text (page 155 of 165)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


latter were Captain W. P. Edgarton and Lieutenant A. Berwick. '

Just before the battle of Chickamauga the battery was ordered to report to General Gordon
Granger, in whose command it there served. During the battle of Mission Ridge it held an
important point, and in the decisive battle of Nashville it acted with conspicuous gallantry.

In whatever position the battery was placed during its career, it maintained its good name
and was regarded among the most reliable in the service.



T5A.TTERY F.

This battery was recruited by Captain Daniel T. Cockerill, in July and August, 1861. On
the 15th of August the men went into Camp Lucas, near Olive Branch, Clermont County, Ohio,
with the understanding that they should join Colonel Piatt's brigade, from Athens County ; but,
on the 1st of September, they received orders to join the First Regiment, Ohio Light Artillery,
under the command of Colonel Barnett, and the same day they marched to Camp Dennison.
The battery having been mustered into service for three years by Captain Brisbin, United States
Army, on the 3d of December, was ordered to Louisville, where it was added to General Nel-
son's command. From Louisville it proceeded by river to Nashville, Tennessee, and was the
first to pass through that city after its evacuation by the Rebels, on the 23d of February, 1862.
While in camp at Nashville the battery was transferred to General Wood's division. From this
place it marched to Savannah, Tennessee, where it embarked for Pittsburg Landing, but arrived
too late to participate in the battle fought there on the 6th and 7th of April, 1862. It then
moved on to Corinth, wj'iere, during the siege, from the 8th of April to the 1st of June, it made
its maiden effort of throwing shells at the enemy.

From Corinth it moved, with its division (which now had the advance), through Mississippi
and Alabama. On reaching Tuscumbia, Alabama, it encamped for a few days, to the great grat-
ification of both men and horses, who there luxuriated in the waters of its far-famed spring.

The battery next moved to Decatur, crossed the Tennessee, passed on to Huntsville ; thence
to Fayetteville, and on to Shelbyville, where the men were delighted at seeing the Stars and
Stripes floating in the breeze from the top of a liberty-pole erected by the citizens. Here orders
were received to join General Nelson's command at Murfreesboro', Tennessee. By a forced
march the battery and its escort arrived, early in July, just as the city had been captured by the
enemy ; but it was again evacuated on the approach of General Nelson from Athens, Alabama.
Falling back toward Louisville, the battery was attached to Hazen's brigade; and then it pro-
Yol. II.— 57.



898 Ohio in the War.

ceeded to Perryville, where it participated in the fight at that place, on the 8th and 9th of Octo-
ber, 1862, without the loss of a man, and moved on to Wild Cat Mountain, and thence to Pitt-
man's Cross, skirmishing with the enemy all the way. Turning at this point, the battery moved
to Glasgow, Kentucky, where it lay in camp for some time. Again the battery moved with its
brigade into Tennessee, going into camp at Nashville.

It participated in the battle of Stone Eiver on the 30th and 31st of December, 18G2, and the
1st and 2d of January, 1863, losing two men killed and twelve wounded. Captain Daniel T.
Cockerill was also severely wounded. Some thirty horses were killed and one limber-chest was
blown up. Lieutenant Osborn now took command, which he held till April, 1S63, when he was
succeeded by Lieutenant Giles J. Cockerill, jr.

The battery moved with the brigade to Eeadyville, Tennessee, where and at Woodbury, in
the month of June, it had several skirmishes with the enemy. Thence it moved to Tullahoma
over the mountains, and across the Tennessee Eiver at Friar Island, above Chattanooga, where
it had a brush with the Eebels. It was in the thickest of the battle at Chickamauga, September
19th and 20th, losing Second Lieutenant John Lynch, killed, and some ten men wounded.
Having fallen back to Chattanooga, it was ordered to perform garrison-duty in one of the front
forts. Here it was joined by Captain D. T. Cockerill, whose wound was not yet perfectly healed.
It witnessed the fights at Lookout Mountain and Mission Eidge, and then returned to Nashville
and was placed in the Eeserve Corps. Here the battery was re-enlisted and mustered in as vet-
erans by Captain Fulmer, United States Army, for a second three-years' service, to date from
January 4, 1864. There were seventy-six men re-enlisted out of ninety-six. They immediately
went home on furlough for thirty days, during which time the company was filled up by new
recruits. On the completion of the furlough the battery was ordered to move, with a brigade of
cavalry, to Decatur, Alabama, where it performed post-duty, during which time it had several
skirmishes with the enemy. Captain Cockerill was promoted to Major, August 8th, and ordered
to take command of the artillery at Bridgeport, Alabama. When General Granger evacuated
Decatur the battery took the river to Bridgeport, from which it again returned to Decatur,
where it remained until it was ordered home to be mustered out. It reached Camp Dennison,
via Nashville, Louisville, and Cincinnati, on the 25th of July, 1865, only lacking a few days of
four years' service.



BATTERY O.

Battery G was recruited by Captain Joseph Bartlett, Lieutenants Alex. Marshall, T. C.
Floyd, John Crable, and Eugene A. Osborn, at Cleveland and Painesville, November and Decem-
ber, 1861. It was organized and mustered in at Camp Dennison, Ohio, December 17th. It was
kept at squad-drill and camp-duties till the 1st of January, 1862, when it drew horses and guns.
It then had field-drill and target-practice to February 10th, when it marched to Cincinnati, and
there embarked on steamboat, and arrived at Louisville on the morning of the 11th; went into
Camp Jesse D. Bright at Jeffersonville, Indiana, and remained there, drilling and fitting for the
field, till the 27th, when it moved, with six days' supplies, via steamer Eocket for Nashville;
arrived at Nashville Tuesday evening, March 4th, and went into Camp Jackson, on the Char-
lotte Pike.- On the 11th it was ordered, with Captain MendenhalPs regular battery, to report to
General Crittenden, commanding Fifth Division. It moved with the column on the Franklin
Pike. On Sunday morning, April 6th, fifteen miles from Savannah, on the Tennessee Eiver,
heavy firing at Pittsburg Landing was heard. Hard marching over bad roads enabled the col-
umn to reach Savannah at eight P. M., where it embarked on the steamer John J. Eoe, with
Mendenhall's regular battery and General Boyle's brigade. It reached Pittsburg Landing at
one o'clock A. M., Monday, April 7th ; disembarked and took position in line of battle at six
A. M., supported by General Boyle's brigade, of Crittenden's division, and was engaged the
entire day. This battery was the only volunteer battery of Buell's army engaged in this battle.



First Ohio Light Artillery. 899

It had to replenish its ammunition chest several times. The official records of commanding
officers show that it did good service.

The battery served with General Crittenden's division through the siege of Corinth, during
which (June 4th) it was ordered into the Artillery Reserve, and on the 10th moved for Athens,
Alabama. Crossing the Tennessee River at Tuscumbia, Alabama, on the 14th, it reached Athens
on the 30th, where it reported to Colonel Neibling, commanding the Twenty-First Ohio. One
section was stationed with Colonel Starkweather, commanding First "Wisconsin, at Mooresville,
Alabama. On the 19th of August the battery was ordered to Nashville, where it arrived the
next day, and reported to Colonel "YV. E. Lawrence, commanding the artillery at that place. On
the 7th of September it reported to General Negley, commanding Eighth Division, Army of the
Cumberland, and moved into camp on the Franklin Pike, two miles from the city, taking part
during the blockade. General Negley spoke in terms of warm commendation of this battery,
giving it credit for efficiency and good discipline.

The Eighth Division reported for duty in the Fourteenth Army Corps, December 12th ; was
reviewed and inspected by General Rosecrans at Camp Hamilton on the 10th, and then moved
on the Franklin Pike, with Colonel Miller's (seventh) brigade, en route for Murfreesboro'. It
took part in the engagement at Stone River.

On the 20th of January, 1863, Captain Bartlett resigned, having been absent from the com-
mand since the siege of Corinth, and First-Lieutenant Alex. Marshall was promoted to Captain.
(This officer served with the company from its organization to its muster out. He accompanied
it in every march and was present in every engagement.)

The battery took an active part in skirmishing while lying at Murfreesboro' and on the march
to Tullahoma. It marched from Murfreesboro' June 24th and reached Manchester on the 27th ;
and, soon after the dislodgment of Bragg's army at Shelbyville and Tullahoma, it encamped at
Decherd, Tennessee. It moved from Decherd to Cave Spring, Alabama, August 16th, being at
this time attached to the Third Brigade, Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps. From Cave
Spring it proceeded with the corps, crossing the Tennessee River at Stevenson, Alabama, Sep-
tember 6th. At Dug Gap it took part in the engagement, covering the rear in retiring. It was
also engaged at Chickamauga on the 19th and 20th, whence it fell back with the army to Chatta-
nooga, taking position on the Rossville road, where it was continually under fire until after the
battle of Mission Ridge.

On October 9th, upon the reorganization of the army, it was ordered to report to Colonel
Barnett, the commanding officer of the Reserve Artillery. On December 2d it marched for
Nashville, re-enlisted, and was mustered in as a veteran battery, January 4, 1864, and, during
the month of March, moved with the Fourth regular cavalry to re-enforce Fort Donelson,
returning again to Nashville after an absence of about ten days. In the month of August it
was ordered to report to the Chief of Artillery in the field, near Atlanta, Georgia, but was pre-
vented by the cavalry under General Wheeler. It then moved with the cavalry, under General
Croxton, in pursuit of Wheeler's forces, which, after three or four sharp engagements, were
driven across the Tennessee River at Florence, Alabama. Returning to Nashville, it refitted,
and within one week made a similar expedition after the forces under General Forrest, his com-
mand crossing the Tennessee River at the same place that Wheeler's had crossed. The battery
moved to Chattanooga in October and built winter-quarters ; but in the same month it received
orders to report to the Chief of Artillery of the Fourth Army Corps, at Pulaski, Tennessee, where
for some two weeks it was employed in building fortifications.

On the 23d of November it broke camp at Pulaski, and while falling back toward Nashville
disputed the ground with Hood day by day. On the 30th it checked Hood's advance into Frank-
lin, and covered the rear of the National column moving out; and reached Nashville on the night
of December 1st. The loss of the battery in killed and wounded at the battle of Franklin was
twenty-three. It was highly complimented by General Stanley for gallant services in the field.

On December 2d it took position in line of battle on a hill near Fort Casino, Nashville, Ten-
nessee, from which date to the 14th it was daily engaged with the enemy. On the 14th a general



900 Ohio in the War.

engagement took place between Generals Thomas and Hood, in which the battery took part, serv-
ing in Elliott's Second Division, Fourth Corps, General Wood commanding.

In the advance of our column in Hood's retreat to the Tennessee River the battery was
sharply engaged with the enemy at Rutherford Creek ; after which it went into winter-quarters
at Huntsville, Alabama.

In March, 1865, it moved with the Fourth Corps into East Tennessee and North Carolina,
and in April returned to Nashville. In June it moved with the Fourth Corps for New Orleans,
Louisiana ; returned in August for Ohio, and was mustered out at Camp Chase, September
1, 1865.

One section, under Lieutenant Newell, did duty with different cavalry commands in the
latter part of 1863 and beginning of 1864, with a great deal of credit. At that time the battery
was composed of eight guns. In its original organization it had but six. The battery went into
service with one hundred and fifly-six men ; the number mustered out was eighty. The rolls
show that over four hundred men served in the battery during the four years.



u a t t e rr y ir .

This battery was organized during October, November, and December, 1861, at Camp Den-
nison, Ohio, by Captain James F. Huntington, of Marietta, and Lieutenant George A. Norton
of Lucas County, near Toledo.

On June 20, 1862, it left Camp Dennison, and proceeded by river to Parkersburg, West Vir-
ginia, and thence on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad to Patterson's Creek. In a few days
thereafter it joined General F. W. Lander's division at Paw-Paw Tunnel.

On March 1st the battery marched with the command to the vicinity of Bloomery's Gap,
where a force of the enemy was encountered, but the movements soon stopped, by reason of
General Lander's sudden death. A few days afterward the whole division, under command of
General James Shields, moved to Martinsburg, and thence to Winchester, where the battery
lay for two weeks.

On March 18th the battery first met the enemy (Ashby's cavalry) at Strasburg, eighteen
miles south of Winchester, but not until after he had been routed by the First Michigan Cav-
alry. It then retired to Winchester, where, on March 22d, Ashby again appeared, south of the
town. Battery H was ordered to the front, and in less than forty minutes was engaged with the
enemy. It received three or four volleys from the Rebel battery, which were returned with
interest. Nine of the enemy's gunners were killed and his battery completely routed. Battery
H did not participate in the general engagement (battle of Winchester) of the next day, 23d
March, being held in reserve.

During April and part of May the battery marched and counter-marched up and down the
valley with General Banks's corps, and took part in the skirmishes at Edenburg, Reed's Hill,
New Market, Mount Jackson, etc.

On May 14th Shields's division was ordered east, and joined McDowell at Fredericksburg.
It crossed the Blue Ridge at New Market, and made its way to Falmouth, opposite Fredericks-
burg. After two and a half days' rest it was ordered back over the same route, and on June 1st
lay at Front Royal all day with another of McDowell's divisions, while General Fremont was
having a brisk fight with the Rebel General Jackson near the old battle-field of Winchester.
The next eight days were spent in marching south on the east side of the Shenandoah River, in
the fruitless efforts to entrap Stonewall Jackson by co-operative movements. The battery was
four miles from the battle-ground at Cross Keys, on June 8, 1862, but could not joiri Fremont,
owing to the high water in the river.

On June 9th the battle of Port Republic was fought by the Third and Fourth Brigades of
General Shields's division — all Western troops — consisting of two thousand four hundred infantry
and thirteen pieces of artillery, against Jackson's whole force of twenty-one thousand infantry and



Fikst Ohio Light Artillery. 901

sixty pieces of artillery, of which the Eebel General used some eight thousand infantry and
twenty-four pieces of artillery. Besides Battery H, Battery L, of the First Ohio Light Artillery,
and E, of the Fourth United States, Captain Clark, were engaged. Three guns were left upon
the battle-field and fell into the hands of the enemy; but General Shields complimented Battery
H on its gallantry and the efficient service rendered by it.

Immediately after this battle Battery H went to Alexandria to refit, and on October 17, 1862,
joined General McClellan at Harper's Ferry. It marched with the army back to Fredericks-
burg, and took part in the bombardment of that place, by General Burnside, on the 10th, 11th,
12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, and 17th of December. It threw nearly one thousand shells into
the town.

In January, 1863, Battery II accompanied General Burnside in his march up the Bapidan,
to attack Lee's extreme left, but was compelled by bad weather to return to camp. The whole
army lay inactive in front of Fredericksburg until the latter part of April, 1863, when the cam-
paign of Chancellorsville opened.

Battery H was at first ordered to a point three miles below Fredericksburg to cover a crossing.
It then marched to United States Ford, and crossed over to the Chancellorsville House, then the
head-quarters of the Potomac Army.

On Friday afternoon, May 2d, the battery was ordered to the front, and accompanied the
Third Corps, under General Sickles, in a reconnoissance to ascertain what Stonewall Jackson was
about. At five o'clock P. M. the Eleventh Corps was crushed and flying through the lines. At
this critical moment Battery H, assisted by the Eleventh and Fourth New York, stood to their
guns, and, without doubt, saved the National army from destruction. A point about one mile
from Hooker's head-quarters was tenaciously held by these batteries, and the enemy's victorious
troops driven back with great slaughter.

Battery H was, in June, 1863, placed in that splendid organization, the Artillery Raserve of
the Potomac Army, and acted with it during the remainder of the war. It was brought home to
Camp Taylor, near Cleveland, and there mustered out of the service, June 14, 1865.



BATTERY I,



The nucleus of this organization was a company of light artillery recruited by Lieutenant
Dammert, under the patronage of the City Council of Cincinnati. Its first duty was that of
guarding the fortifications and approaches to Cincinnati, back of Newport, Kentucky, Mount
Adams, and Price's Hill.

On December 3, 1861, an order was received from the War Department, through Adjutant-
General Buckingham, to muster the battery into the service of the United States. This was done
at Camp Dennison, and the organization was designated as Battery I, of the First Regiment of
Ohio Light Artillery, Colonel James Barnett commanding.

On January 26, 1862, the battery left Camp Dennison for West Virginia. It first landed at
Parkersburg, and from that place went by rail to New Creek, Virginia. It marched from New
Creek to Moorefield February 10, 1862, and at that place had its first engagement with the enemy.
It then returned to New Creek, and went by rail to Clarksburg, where it lay for three weeks.
On March 26th the battery marched from Clarksburg to Beverly. Remaining at Beverly about
ten days it then moved over Cheat Mountain to Monterey, and on April 25th took part in the
battle of Dinwiddie's Gap, near Monterey. The battery was then taken over to McDowell, and
near that place it aided in fighting the battle of Bull Pasture Mountain. In this it lost one man
killed. Retreating down the valley to Franklin it there joined General Fremont's forces, and
went into camp.

On the movement of General Fremont's army it marched with it to Strasburg, and joined
in the pursuit of the Rebel army under Jackson, up the Shenandoah Valley to Cross Keys. Here



902 Ohio in the War.

it shared in the battle, losing one man killed and four wounded. After the battle the battery fell
back to Middletown, Virginia, and went into camp.

On July oth it was again on the inarch, and passing through Sperryville and across the Blue
Mountains, it went into camp at Luray, Virginia. Its duties while it lay at Luray were very
arduous, as the enemy was desirous of crossing the mountains into Luray Valley. In its efforts
to prevent this the battery was almost daily engaged with the enemy.

From Luray it marched to Culpepper, and took part in the battle of Slaughter Mountain.
It then fell back to "Warrenton, and from thence to White Sulphur Springs, where it again
engaged the enemy. Reaching Freeman's Ford, on the Rappahannock, it was again engaged. It
then moved with General Pope's forces, and took part in the second Bull Run battle. The bat-
tery lost twelve men killed and wounded, and twenty-two horses. It also had two of its guns
dismounted, and the rest of its pieces were so disabled as to be unserviceable. Lieutenant Dain-
mert drew, at Washington, a complete new outfit.

On October 1, 18G2, it left Washington, marched to Fairfax C. H, and went into camp. On
November 1st it marched to Thoroughfare Gap, and thence to Centerville. From Centerville it
went to Fredericksburg, and took part in the bombardment of that place. Falling back with the
army it went into winter-quarters at Brooks's Station.

On the opening of the spring campaign in March, 1863, the battery joined General Hooker's
army, and took part in the battle of Chancellorsville. Here it lost five men killed and six
wounded, and one gun, and sixteen horses. It then returned to Brooks's Station, and, on the
reorganization of the Potomac Army, marched with it to Gettysburg. In this battle the battery
had four men killed and fifteen wounded. It also lost nearly all of its horses. Impressing
horses from the farms around Gettysburg, it moved with the army in pursuit of Lee. Crossing
the Potomac at Berlin, it went into camp at Catlett's Station.

In October, 1864, the battery was transferred with the Twentieth Army Corps, General
Jos. Hooker commanding, to the Army of the Cumberland, at Chattanooga. Lookout Valley
was the scene of its first engagement in the west. It was also engaged at Mission Ridge. The
battery was then sent with General Sherman's forces to the relief of Knoxville. Returning, it
went into camp at Chattanooga, and early in the spring joined in the Atlanta campaign. It was
engaged with the enemy in almost every battle fought in that campaign. Its losses summed up
forty men killed and wounded, and Second-Lieutenant John Kortzbue, killed in front of Kenesaw
Mountain.

From Atlanta the battery returned to Chattanooga, where it remained about three weeks, and
its term of service having expired, it was sent to Camp Dennison, Ohio, and mustered out of the
service July 24, 1865.

During the whole service of Battery I it was noted for its faithfulness and efficiency, and on
numerous occasions was honorably mentioned in official reports by the Generals commanding.



15 A. T T E 11 Y JK. .

Was organized and mustered into the service at Camp Dennison, Ohio, October 22, 1861. In
February it joined General Schenck's command, at Cumberland, Maryland, and moved with it
to Romney, Virginia. After remaining in camp some days it marched to Petersburg and Bull
Pasture Mountain. At the last-mentioned place the battery took part in the battle of McDowell.

From McDowell it went to Franklin, and from thence to Strasburg, Cross Keys, and Port
Republic, taking part in the battle at the last-named place. Marching through Winchester, it
went into camp at Kernstown. Thereafter it was joined to and moved with General Fremont's
forces through the Shenandoah Valley to Warrenton. It was at Cedar Mountain, and other affaira
in which General Pope's forces were engaged.

At Lairy's Ford, in a sharp engagement with the enemy, the battery lost sixteen men
wounded, and thirty-three horses killed. Lieutenant Henry F. Camp was here killed.



First Ohio Light Artillery. 903

It now moved with General Pope's army, and took part in the second Bull Run battle. Fall-
ing back with the army to Washington, it lay in camp for some weeks, and was then ordered to
Fredericksburg, Virginia, where it aided in the bombardment of that place.

The next battle in which the battery was engaged was that of Chancellorsville, where it
shared in the vicissitudes and mistakes of that strange engagement. After lying in camp some
weeks the battery was joined to the forces under General Meade, then making a forced march
through Maryland and Pennsylvania to intercept Lee's Rebel army. In the battle of Gettysburg
the battery was so closely engaged as to lose five men killed and twenty-seven wounded, among
the latter Lieutenant Schilley, severely.

From Gettysburg the battery moved with the army in pursuit of Lee's forces, and crossing
the Potomac went into camp with the Twentieth Corps, at Catlett's Station.

In October, 1864, it was taken with the Twentieth Corps (under General Hooker), to Chat-
tanooga, Tennessee, to aid in raising the siege of that place. Reaching the vicinity of Chatta-



Online LibraryWhitelaw ReidOhio in the war : her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers (Volume 2) → online text (page 155 of 165)