Whitelaw Reid.

Ohio in the war : her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers (Volume 2) online

. (page 18 of 165)
Online LibraryWhitelaw ReidOhio in the war : her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers (Volume 2) → online text (page 18 of 165)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

16, " Resigned September 19, 1863.

16, " 1'romoted to Captain.

Promoted to Captain November 15,1862.

29, 1863 Promoted to Captain.
2», " Promoted to Captain.
9, 1864 Promoted to Captain.
9, " Resigned September 24, 1S64.
18. " Promoted to Captain.

Detached at own request.

Promoted to Captain.

Never a member of regiment.

Died of wounds September 28, 1864.

On detached duty.

Promoted to Captain.

Promoted to Captain.

Promoted to Captain.

Mustered out with regiment.

Mustered out with regiment.


Mustered out with regiment.

Mustered out with regiment.
Mustered out with reeini"nt.
Mustered out with regiment.


Resigned August 14, 1862.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Resigned February 11, 1862.

Resigned December 19, 1862.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.


Kesism-d November 26, 1862.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant December 21, '61

Mustered out December 12, 1861.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

Killed in action.

Died of wounds September 1, 1864.

Died nt Lookout Mountain September 24, '64.

Resigned August 1, 1864.

Tendered resignation.

Promoted to 1st Lieutenant.







16, 1863
16, "
16, "

6, 1864



THERE are but few of the original records of the three-months' regiments preserved. In
fact, the majority had no special record further than the disabilities and sometimes actual
sufferings of an illy-appointed encampment.

After the first burst of patriotic indignation had expended itself, and was rendered futile by
the want of system, large bodies of men, intended as the nuclei of regiments, lay in camp, often
for weeks, awaiting muster into the service, and sometimes actually suffering for food and adequate
sbelter. These delays disgusted the recruits and damaged the service to an extent almost irre-
trievable. But, in the face of all these impediments, some regiments filled up immediately and
presented themselves to the State ready for immediate service. Among these was the Fourteenth
Ohio. It was raised in the Tenth Congressional District of Ohio, in and around Toledo.

The President's Proclamation for seventy-five thousand men was responded to here just as it
was in all parts of the State. Nearly one-half who offered their services had to be refused. In
less than three days the Fourteenth Ohio was ready for the field, and on the 25th day of April,
1861, (just twelve days after the firing on Fort Sumter), it started from Toledo for Camp Taylor,
near Cleveland, where it was thoroughly drilled and its organization completed. On the 18th of
May the regiment was transferred from the State to the General Government.

The regiment left Cleveland on the 22d day of May for Columbus, there received their arms
and accouterments, and on the same day started for Zanesville, Ohio ; arrived at 1 P. M. on the
23d and immediately embarked for Marietta ; occupied Camp Putnam until the 27th of May, then
was ordered to embark for Parkersburg, Va., at which place it landed without opposition, and for
the first time the regimental flag of the Fourteenth was unfurled in the enemy's country. Imme-
diately on its arrival one company was double-quicked along the line of the Ealtimore and Ohio
Railroad, the bridges of which were being fired by retreating Rebels as a signal of the arrival of
National troops in Western Virginia. Four Rebels were taken in the act of firing a bridge and sent
to the rear as prisoners — guards were posted along the road to prevent further destruction ; and
on the 29th the regiment moved forward until Clarksburg was reached, having repaired all the
burnt bridges and culverts up to that point. At Clarksburg some important arrests were made,
and the trains were put to running for supplies.

On the 2d of June the regiment started by rail for the town of Webster, supplied with rations
sufficient for a march to Philippi, a distance of thirteen miles. This march was performed on a
dark, dismal, rainy night, to surprise a force of about two thousand Rebel cavalry in camp near that
place. The march brought the regiment in front of the town at 5 A. M., when a battery belonging to
the force opened on the surprised Rebels. The expedition was not wholly successful, because of a
mistake made by a co-operating force of National troops who were to have come from an opposite
direction. However, the Rebels were frightened and scattered to the bushes and hills as fast as their
horses could carry them, some leaving their clothing and boots behind, and making oil" almost
in the Georgia costume of "a shirt and pair of spurs." A few prisoners, all the Rebel stores, and
five wagon loads of arms and munitions fell into the hands of the National force. On the

104 Ohio in the Wae.

National side there were but four men wounded, including Colonel Kelly, afterward Major-
General. One of the Rebel cavalry had his leg taken off by a cannon ball.

On the next day the Fourteenth, in company with the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Ohio, Sixth
and Seventh Indiana, and First Virginia Infantry, went into camp on the hills in the rear of the
town of Philippi.

From this camp expeditions were sent out against the guerrilla bands which infested that
region ; forced marches were made, in which the men suffered terribly, and frequently to no
purpose, as at that early period " scares " were very easily raised and the wildest reports implic-
itly believed. A few men lost their lives on either side, but nothing of consequence was gained
by either party. On the 2d of July, 1861, the regiment received its first pay, in gold and Ohio

On the 7th of June the Rebels began to show themselves in force at Laurel Hill, and works
were thrown up at Bealington to repel their attacks. Several cavalry charges made by the enemy
were handsomely repulsed. On the 12th, General Garnett having suddenly retreated, the National
forces moved out of their works, the Fourteenth taking the advance, took possession of a fort
vacated by the enemy and pressed on after the retreating column. The Rebels were closely
pressed, the road being strewed with trunks, boxes, tents, stalled baggage wagons and "tuckered-
out " Rebels. In crossing Carrick's Ford the enemy was obliged to make a stand to save their
trains. Taking a strong position they awaited the coming of the National forces. The advance
guard of the Fourteenth was under the Rebel guns before they were aware of it. The Rebel flag
was flaunted in their faces, and with shouts for Jeff. Davis came a shower of balls from the bluff
above and opposite the stream. The Fourteenth closed up to its advanced guard and answered
the enemy's first volley before the second had been fired. In twenty minutes, and just as the
first regiment of the m lin °olumn came up for action, the enemy gave way in great confusion,
casting off everything that could retard escape. Over thirty well-laden baggage wagons, one
battery, three stand of colors, and two hundred and fifty prisoners were the fruits of this victory.
The next morning the regiment returned toward Philippi with the prisoners and captured train,
fording at least six rivers and creeks swollen by the heavy rains, arriving at Philippi on the 15th
of July.

The Fourteenth remained in camp on Laurel Hill until the 22d, when it moved to and crossed
the Ohio at Bellaire, and there took cars on the Central Ohio for Toledo and home. The wounded
received great attention from the people along the road, and the regiment was tendered ovations
and kindnesses without number. It arrived at Toledo on the 25th of July, where it was hailed
by the ringing of bells and firing of cannon. After partaking of a sumptuous feast, prepared by
the citizens at the Oliver House, the regiment dispersed, and after a few days rest at home the
men re-assembled, and again volunteered, in a body, for three years or during the war.

On the 23d of August, 1861, the Fourteenth received orders, and moved from Toledo to
Cincinnati on the same day, reaching there in the evening. It was here supplied with arms and
accouterments, and on the morning of the 25th crossed the Ohio to Covington, Ky., and took cars
for Lexington and Frankfort. A short distance from Frankfort the train was assaulted by some
of the "chivalry" of Kentucky, by hurling a volley of stones against the officer's car, breaking
its windows and injuring some of its inmates. The train was stopped, two of the rascals captured
and taken into Frankfort. Marching up the main street, with the prisoners in the column, one of
them was recognized by a citizen of the place, who rushed into the ranks and drew a butcher
knife across his throat. Although severely wounded the man did not die, and was placed in
hospital. This incident serves to show the intense feeling between the loyal and rebel citizens of
Kentucky at that day.

Remaining in Frankfort two days, the regiment moved by cars to Nicholasville, and estab-
lished a camp of rendezvous, where for three weeks it was engaged in daily drill and was thor-
oughly disciplined.

Camp Dick Robinson was its next stopping place, and was reached on the evening of October
2d. While there a regiment of loyal East Tennesseeans arrived, having, as the men said, crawled


on all fours through the Eehel lines. Among these brave and self-sacrificing loyal mountaineers
were the then Tennessee United States Senator, Andrew Johnson, and Horace Maynard, Con-
gressman, on their way to Washington City. Colonel Steedman, of the Fourteenth, invited John-
son to share his tent for the night. The rough attire and begrimmed appearance of Johnson
caused "the boys" of the regiment to remark that "Old Jim Steedman" would invite "Andy''
to a free use of soap before he would allow him to bunk with him. The East Tennesseeans
being without arms, discipline, or drill, a detail was made from the Fourteenth for the purpose
of perfecting them in drill.

About this time rumors were rife that the National forces stationed at or near "Wild Cat, a
desolate region sixty miles south-east of Camp Dick Eobinson, were surrounded by the Rebels.
The Fourteenth, with Barnet's First Ohio Artillery, started at once for Wild Cat, making forced
marches through the deep mud and driving rain, and reached there at 9 A. M. of the 21st of
October. On nearing the battle-field the crash of musketry and artillery was heard. This
spurred the excited troops, who were going into their first engagement, and they double-quicked
to the point of attack. Barnet's artillery was placed in position and the enemy shelled. Five
companies of the Thirty-Third Indiana were on a wild knob almost completely surrounded
by the Eebels. Under cover of a brisk fire from Barnet's batter)', two companies of the Four-
teenth, with picks and shovels, crawled through the bushes over a ravine, and reaching the knob
fortified it in such manner that the enemy shortly abandoned the siege and retreated toward
London, Ky. The Eebels left on the ground about thirty of their number killed and wounded.

The National forces pursued the Rebels under Zollicoffer to a point near London, and then
went into camp for some two weeks. Orders were received to march back toward Lancaster,
passing through Crab Orchard and Mt. Vernon. The next point was Lebanon, at which place
the troops went into winter-quarters.

On the 31st of December the camp at Lebanon was abandoned and the march resumed, taking
the route toward Somerset or Mill Springs. At Logan's Cross Roads the Rebels under Zollicoffer
were met and defeated. Only one company of the Fourteenth participated in this — Compay C,
Captain J. W. Brown, of Toledo.

Following up their success, the National troops pursued and drove the Rebels into their forti-
fications at Mill Springs. The night of the 19th of January was consumed in cannonading the
enemy's works. Early on the morning of the 20th a general assault was ordered and executed, the
Rebel works carried, twenty pieces of artillery, all the camp equipage, and one regiment of men
captured. The main body of Rebels crossed the Cumberland River in a steamer and escaped,
burning the steamer as they left. In the charge which carried the works the Fourteenth was the
first regiment to enter. Pushing on after the flying enemy the regiment reached the bank of the
river in time to fire into the rear of the retreating column as it was boarding the steamer.

The National forces remained at Mill Springs until the 11th of February. Then, with five
days' rations, the line of march was resumed toward Louisville, passing through Stanford,
Somerset, Danville, and intermediate places, arriving at Louisville on the 26th. Marching
through the city, the Fourteenth was placed on board of transports, and in company with twenty
thousand other troops left for Nashville, arriving there on the 4th of March.

Remaining in and around Nashville, building fortifications and perfecting the drill of the
men, until the 20th of March, the necessity of re-enforcing General Grant's forces at Pittsburg
Landing being apparent, General Buell marched with the greater part of his army, reaching
Savannah on the 6th of April. Taking steamers a portion of the troops were landed on the field,
at Pittsburg Landing, on the morning of the 7th of April, in time to participate in the engage-
ment of that day, turning the tide of battle in favor of the National army. The Fourteenth did
not come up in time to participate.

On the night of the 12th of April the regiment was sent on an expedition to Chickasaw
Landing, in the vicinity of which five or six bridges were destroyed, thus preventing the enemy
from being re-enforced. In effecting this destruction several severe skirmishes were had.

The regiment was taken back to Pittsburg Landing on a steamer on board of which was

106 Ohio in the Wae.

General Sherman, who publicly thanked the men for the service they had performed. The
Fourteenth rejoined its brigade, and with the vast army then concentrated under General Halleck,
shared in the slow advance on Corinth. The only death in the regiment, during the siege, was
that of fifer Frank Callern, of heart disease.

The regiment joined in pursuing the enemy to the vicinity of Booneville, Mississippi, where
the chase was abandoned, the National troops returning to Corinth.

On the 23d of June, 1862, the Fourteenth, with other troops, was sent to Iuka, Mississippi,
and from there marched to Tuscumbia, Alabama. After doing duty of various kinds, in and
around this place, the line of march was resumed toward Nashville, Tennessee, passing through
Florence, Fayetteville, Pulaski, etc. On this march General Robert L. McCook was murdered
by guerrillas, near Wayncsburg, Tennessee. Nashville was reached on the 7th of September.
On the 14th marching orders were received for Bowling Green, Kentucky. This march was made
in pursuit of Bragg's army, which was then moving on Louisville, Kentucky, which was reached
on the 26th day of September, 1862. On this march the Fourteenth Ohio was under the command
of Major Paul Edwards, Colonel Steedman having been assigned to General Eobert L. McCook's
late command, and Lieutenant-Colonel Este being absent on furlough. The march from Nashville
to Louisville was one of great hardship, the weather being intensely hot, the roads very dusty,
and water almost unattainable.

On the 1st of October the National army, under General Buell, moved out of Louisville and
resumed the pursuit of Bragg's Eebel army. Marching by the Bardstown road, the Fourteenth in
the advance, Springfield, Kentucky, was reached on the second day and Bardstown on the third.
On the 9th day of October the brigade, in which the Fourteenth was acting, was detailed as
head-quarter and ammunition train-guard, and for that reason did not participate in the battle of
Perryville fought on that day.

General Buell's army moved in pursuit of the Eebels, marching through Danville and Crab
Orchard, where the pursuit was abandoned and the National forces commenced a retrogade move-
ment toward Nashville. Gallatin was reached on the loth of November, where the brigade, in
which the Fourteenth Ohio was acting, went into winter-quarters. "While at this place the regi-
ment was frequently detailed on scouting duty against the guerrilla (General John Morgan's)
cavalry, with which it had several severe skirmishes losing some men. At Rolling Fork, Morgan
was badly whipped and driven off, thus preventing a contemplated raid against Louisville. The
regiment remained at Gallatin until January 13, 1863, engaged in similar duty. Leaving Gallatin,
Nashville was reached on the loth day of January, and after a day's rest in that city the regiment
marched to Murfreesboro', as guard to an ammunition and provision train, returning the same
night to Lavergne, where the brigade was engaged in fortifying against the enemy.

On the 3d day of June the regiment and brigade left Lavergne and took up the line of march
for Triune, Tennessee, forming a portion of Rosccrans's advance on Tullahoma and Chattanooga.
At Triune twenty days were consumed in rigid drill, gaining time to allow the necessary sup-
plies to come up. The march being resumed, Hoover's Gap was reached on the night of the
26th of June, a brisk engagement coming off at that point, in which the Fourteenth participated
with its brigade. Thirty men were lost in killed and wounded in this affair. The vicinity of
Tullahoma was reached on the evening of the 28th day of June, and the enemy's videttes driven
in. That night Captain Neubert's picket detail of the Fourteenth Ohio drove in the enemy's
line of pickets, and reached a point so near the town as to enable him to discover that the Rebels
were evacuating the place. This important information was immediately sent to head-quarters by
Captain Neubert, and caused the advance, early the next morning, of the National forces. Elk
River was crossed with great difficulty, that stream being quite deep, with a swift current, and
a number of men were drowned. A spur of the Cumberland Mountains was crossed, and the
National forces encamped in Sequatchie Valley on the 18th day of August, near Sweden Cove.
On the 31st of August the army crossed the Tennessee River by means of rafts, the pontoons not
being on hand. On the 19th of September the enemy was discovered in force on Chickamauga


Creek. The Fourteenth Ohio, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Kingsbury, was immediately
deployed in line of battle. The men were not in the best trim to engage in a fatiguing day's work,
having marched incessantly all of the previous day and night, but they were ready and willing to
perform their whole duty, and did it nobly. The regiment was engaged in hot and close contest
with the enemy from nine A. M. to four P. M. Being then relieved, it replenished its ammuni-
tion boxes and again entered the fight, continuing in until sundown. That night it fell back
one mile and went into camp. The next morning at nine o'clock the regiment again entered the
field and had a desperate encounter with a portion of Longstreet's Eebel division. An unfor-
tunate gap being left open by mistake in Thomas's line, the whole National force was compelled
to fall back to prevent being overwhelmed. The village of Bossville was its stopping point.

On the 21st of September the regiment, with its brigade and division, was in line of battle
all day, but was again compelled to give ground and fall back into hastily-constructed intrench-
ments near Chattanooga, the enemy following closely. The regiment went into the battle with
four hundred and forty-nine men. Out of that number it lost two hundred and thirty-three
killed, wounded, and missing. Fourteen enlisted men were captured by the enemy. Of fourteen
officers, eight were severely wounded ; among them, Captains Albert Moore, company A ; II. W.
Bigelow, company I ; Dan. Pomeroy, company D ; W. B. Pugh, company H ; J. J. Clark, com-
pany C ; and Lieutenant James E. McBride, company F. Colonel Croxton, of the Tenth Ken-
tucky, commanding the brigade, was also severely wounded.

To procure rations on one occasion, during the ensuing beleaguerment at Chattanooga, a detail
of one hundred men from the Fourteenth, under Captain Neubert, was sent to Stevenson, Alabama,
crossing the rugged mountain between that place and Chattanooga. This detail started on a march
of eleven days' duration with only one day's rations. After encountering terrible hardships, subsist-
ing on parched corn, leaving along the roads the wrecks of more than half their wagons and the
dead bodies of twenty mules, Stevenson was reached ; ten wagons out of the sixty they started
with were loaded with "hard-tack," and the return journey commenced. After twenty-five days'
absence this detail reached Chattanooga (9th of November) and distributed their precious freight
among the famished troops.

In the brilliant assault on Mission Eidge the Fourteenth Ohio bore a gallant part, charging
and capturing a Eebel battery of three guns, which General Hardee in person was superintending,
losing sixteen killed, ninety-one wounded, and three missing.

On the 26th of November the National forces started in pursuit of the Eebel army toward
Einggold, at which point the enemy made a stand on the 28th. General Hooker's forces being in
the advance, made a charge on the Eebels, but were driven back. The Fourteenth Corps coming
up, formed a line of battle and charged the Eebel position, but the enemy had fled toward Buz-
zard's Eoost. The Fourteenth Ohio returned to Chattanooga on the 29th of November, and was
reviewed by General Grant on the 1st of December, 1S63.

Of those that were eligible, all but thirty men of the entire regiment re-enlisted for another
term of three years. This occurred on the 17th of December. On Christmas-day the mustering
of the men commenced, and by vorking hard all day and through the night the rolls were com-
pleted. Marching to Bridgeport on the 31st of December, the Fourteenth Ohio there took the
cars and reached Nashville on the 2d day of January, 186-4. On this trip the cold was so intense
as to freeze the feet of several colored servants belonging to the regiment so badly as to make am-
putation necessary.

From Nashville the regiment went by cars to Louisville, and thence by boat to Cincinnati,
arriving at that city on the morning of the 4th of January. Cars were at once taken for Toledo,
the home of the regiment, where it was warmly received by the citizens, and addressed in their
behalf by the Hon. M. E. Waite.

On the 6th day of February, the thirty days' furlough having expired, the regiment moved
by rail to Cleveland, and there went into camp. Eemaining there about a week, it started for Cin-
cinnati and the front, reaching Nashville on the 23d of February and Chattanooga on the 29th.

On the 5th day of March the regiment moved to Einggold, where it performed hard duty in

108 Ohio in the War.

building corduroy roads between that place and Chattanooga, picketing outposts, etc. On the 9th
day of May it moved with its brigade on Dalton, driving in the enemy's videttes to the vicinity
of Tunnel Hill, there encountering the enemy in force. At this point commenced that long,
fatiguing campaign for the possession of Atlanta, the " Gate City " of the extreme South. The
Fourteenth, in all the marches and the almost incessant skirmishes and flanking movements of
that campaign, bore an honorable part. It lost heavily in men and officers. While lying in front
of Atlanta the regiment lost twenty men killed and wounded.

On the 26th of August a flanking movement was commenced toward Jonesboro', and on the
Slst the Atlanta and Western Railroad was struck five miles north of Jonesboro', where two hun-
dred prisoners were captured. On the 1st of September the Third Division of the Fourteenth
Army Corps, in which was brigaded the Fourteenth Ohio, continued the movement in the direc-
tion of Jonesboro', destroying the track of the railroad as it marched. At half-past four P. M.
of that day the Third Division (General Baird) confronted the enemy's works surrounding

The Third Brigade, in command of Colonel Este, of the Fourteenth Ohio, of Baird's division,
was drawn up in line of battle in the immediate rear of a regular brigade of General Carlin's

Online LibraryWhitelaw ReidOhio in the war : her statesmen, her generals, and soldiers (Volume 2) → online text (page 18 of 165)