Copyright
William Arba Ellis.

Norwich University, 1819-1911; her history, her graduates, her roll of honor (Volume 1) online

. (page 18 of 61)
Online LibraryWilliam Arba EllisNorwich University, 1819-1911; her history, her graduates, her roll of honor (Volume 1) → online text (page 18 of 61)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mand of the corps at all formations; also was required to make
inspections of the quarters. This office was especially sought
after, as at the completion of his term of service, the adjutant



SERVICE CALLS — UNIFORMS. 163

was given special privileges to the end of the academic year,
and was responsible only to the commandant. The officer of the
day was appointed from the senior and junior classes and served
for one day. His duties were the same as at the present time.
A passage officer for each passage was appointed each term, from
the upper classmen, who was responsible for the order in his
passage, and was required to report all violation of the rules and
regulations to the officer of the day or adjutant. A post office
orderly was chosen from the freshman class each day to collect
all mail matter and take it to the post office, and to distribute
all letters received. The General Rules and Regulations were
practically the same as in force at the present time. The follow-
ing service calls, quoted from the regulations of 1869, were prac-
tically unchanged during the period:

Daily Routine of Duty.

"Reveille at a. m., from September 21st, until March 21st, and at
.3:30 A. M.. from March 21st until September 21st; roll call at twenty minutes
after reveille, when the officer of the day will inspect the rooms, see that
they are cleaned and in good order, and the beds are neatly made up; study
hours until breakfast, fifteen minutes before 7 a. m.; morning exercises, 7:50
A. M.; study hours and recitations until dinner at 12 m; roll call, 1:15; parade
and roll call at sunset; study hours begin fifteen minutes after retreat, continue
until tattoo roll call, 9:30 p. m., from March 21st until September 21st and
at 9 p. M., from September 21st to March 21st; taps thirty minutes after tattoo,
when the officer of the day will inspect to see that all are in quarters, lights
extinguished, and fires i)roperly secured; no liglits will be allowed after
taps, except by special jjermission; all must be in quarters between taps and
reveille. On Sunday — morning inspection at 10 a. m., noon roll call at 12:45
p. M., evening roll call at 6.45 p. m.; Saturday — no drill, and no study hours
between 8 a. m., and retreat; Friday evening allowed for Society meetings."

Uniform, 1869-74.

"Dress coat: Blue cloth coatee, single breasted; three rows of eight
gilt University buttons in front; stand-up collar, trimmed with gilt cord,
to rise no higher than to permit the chin to turn freely over it, to hook in
front; buttons on the hip to range with the lower buttons on the breast,
three buttons, placed lengthwise on the skirts down the plaits, terminating
with an acklitional button at the end of skirts; cuffs with five buttons on the
bottom of sleeve.

"Fatigue jacket for summer wear: A brown linen jacket is allowed,
single breasted, with stand and fall collar; one small size University button
on each side of collar, and nine similar buttons down the breast; an undress
coat is allowed, or a .sack coat, with the University buttons for out-of-door
wear, pattern furnished by the Executive Officer.



164 NORWICH UNIVERSITY.

" Overcoat: Blue kersey, double breasted, to reach two inches below the
knee; stand and fall collar, rising to the tip of the ear, and hooked in front;
University buttons, six down the front of each side; two at the hip, and one
at the bottom of each plait behind; cape of same material as the coat, sixteen
and one-half inches in length to button in front, body, cape and skirts
lined with sky blue woolen; sleeves with twilled muslin.

"Pantaloons for winter: Blue cloth with black velvet stripe one inch
wide down the outer seam; for summer white drilling; dress cap, U. S. shako
with usual gilt ornaments, black pompon; forage cap, U. S. Army pattern.

"Badges of distinction: Cadets acting as officers and non-commis-
sioned officers shall be designated by the following badges: captains, chev-
rons of four bars of single lace on each arm above the elbow, points up;
lieutenants, chevrons of three bars of single lace on each arm above the elbow,
points up; adjutant, the lieutenants' chevrons with an arc; sergeant-major,
the sergeant's chevron with an arc; first sergeants, chevrons of two bars
of single lace on each arm above the elbow, points up, with a lozenge; sergeant,
chevrons of two bars of single lace on each arm above the elbow, points up;
corporals, chevrons of two bars of single lace on each arm above the elbow,
points up; cadets appointed acting assistant professors, will wear upon their
coats three rows of fourteen buttons in front; boots or high shoes of black
unglazed leather."

Uniform, 1874-80.

"Coat: A double breasted frock coat of dark blue cloth, the skirt to
extend one-half the distance from the hip joint to the bend of the knee.
There shall be two rows of University buttons on the breast, eight in a row;
the distance between each row five and one-half inches at top and three and
one-half inches at bottom; stand-up collar, not less than one nor more than
two inches in height, to hook in front at the bottom and slope thence up and
backward at an angle of thirty degrees on each side, corners rounded; cuffs
three inches deep, to go round the sleeves parallel with the lower edge, and
with three small buttons at the under seam; pockets in the folds of the skirts,
with two buttons at the height of the hip and one at the lower end of each
side edge, making four buttons on the back and side of the coat; lining of
the coat, black. A sack coat of blue cloth or flannel cut in the army style,
with University buttons, is allowed and recommended for ordinary wear,
as economical and likely to save the wear of the more expensive drill coat.

"Trousers: Dark blue cloth with light blue welt, half an inch in width;
cravat, black, the tie not to be visible at the opening of the collar; caps for
officers — for full dress, marine shako, with plume of white cocks' feathers
with red crest, gilt ornaments; for all other cadets, same shako and gilt or-
naments with red and white pompon; forage cap, pattern U. S. Army.

"Boots and shoes: No particular pattern required, but they must be
made of black leather capable of taking ordinary polish blacking, and be
sufficiently high to conceal the stockings.

"Badges of distinction: For officers, E,ussian shoulder-knot: for a
captain, two silver embroidered bars on each knot; for a 1st lieutenant
one bar; for a 2d lieutenant, none.



UNIFORMS — EQUIPMENT.



165



"For non-commissioned officers: The rank of non-commissioned officers

will be marked by chevrons of light blue cloth, divided into bars half an inch

wide, piped with red, and worn upon both sleeves of the uniform coat above

the elbow, points down.

"For a 1st sergeant, three bars and a lozenge; for a sergeant, three bars;

for a corpora), two bars; for a principal musician, three or two bars, (according

as he ranks as a sergeant or corporal,) with a bugle.

" No other dress than that which is prescribed shall be worn by a cadet,

or kept in his quarters without permission. On leave of absence he may

wear such clothing as he may prefer.

" No buttons, orna-
ments, badges or other
military device except
those adopted by the Uni-
versity authorities shall
be worn by any cadet at
the University.

" The hair will be trim-
med in the style commonly
called cropped. Whiskers
or beards are prohibited.

"The uniform of the
Faculty will be that of the
staff ot the U. S. Army
with the Vermont button,
except where the professor
may be a commissioned
officer of the U. S. Army
or the State Militia, in
which case he may wear
the uniform of his arm
and grade. The President,
when a clergyman, may
wear a clerical suit or
uniform, as he may please.
With the clerical suit he
will wear a black felt hat,
with black silk and gold
cord, with acorn ends.' '

In -1869, the United States Ordnance Department loaned to the
University the following equipment: 150 breach loading rifles;
150 sets of equipments; 30 light artillery sabres; six sets of signal
equipments; one section of artillery equipment. The old brass
Napoleons which were loaned the University in 1853 were brought
to Northfield, and were used until 1906. Much attention was given
to sabre and broadsword drills, and to fencing.

In 1869, Captain Curtis began the custom of having the cadets
go into camp. For some time the encampments were held in




Cadet Camp in 1878.



166



NORWICH UNIVERSITY.



September, but later they were held in June, usually on the cam-
pus. In June, 1870, the corps under command of Captain Curtis
took a practice march to Berlin Pond where they encamped for
several days. On October 26, 1870, the corps of cadets under com-
mand of Captain Curtis visited Montpelier and gave exhibition
drills before the state legislature. They were received by the
Governor and his staff. After the review the Governor gave the
cadets an address of welcome. Hon. Charles H. Joyce, a native of
Northfield and speaker of the house, then delivered an eloquent
address in which he
paid a glowing trib-
ute to the work of
Norwich men dur-
ing the Civil War.

During 1 866-67,
tuition was S60 per
year, room rent
$15, lights and fuel
75 cents a week,
board $3.25 to $4 a
week, washing 50
cents a week. From
1870 to 1874, the
charges were $350
a year, which in-
cluded all the Uni-
versity expenses
aside from the uni-
forms, clothing, etc.
From 1874 to 1880
the charges were
$300. In 1880
when it was voted
to allow cadets to board where they desired in town, the charges
for tuition and room rent were $25 a term; use of library 50
cents a term; board ranged from $2.50 to $5 a week.

During 1870-74, musicians were allowed $125 a year for their
services and from 1874-1880, $75 a year. On January 22, 1874, the
trustees voted to establish fourteen scholarships, one for each county
in the state, covering the tuition and room rent; examinations were
held June 22 and 29. This was the first aid given by the Univer-
sity to the cadets of the state.




Cadet Camp, 1879.



JACKMAN HALL — ATHLETICS. 167

Until the construction of Dodge Hall, Jackman Hall was used
for recitation purposes as well as for a barracks. The large room
on the first floor on the right of the north and south hall, at the
front of the buildings, was used by General Jackman and later by
Professor Johnson. The room opposite, on the south side of the
building, was at first used as a drawing room. The large room on
the first floor, east of the north and on the south side of the build-
ing, was used for a library until Dodge Hall was erected. The
large room opposite, on the north side of the hall, was used for some
years as the commandant's office. The three large rooms on the
north side of the hall, on the second floor, now used for students'
rooms and a guard room, were originally one room, and it was used
for the chapel until the erection of Dodge Hall. The large room
on the second floor, on the south side of the building and west of the
north and south hall, was used by Professor Dole for his classes
during this peiiod. The other large room on the second floor,
toward Dodge Hall, was used b}-^ the cadets. The two large rooms
on the third floor at the front of the building were used for reci-
tations and for drafting.

From 1866 until 1870, the cadets were allowed to board in
town where they saw fit. In 1870, a boarding hall for the cadets
was opened by Professor Dole at his home at the Center Village,
near the University, which was conducted by him during this
period.

Athletics were not neglected from 1866 to 1880. Baseball
teams were conducted during 1866-69, but no data has been pre-
served as to the membership. The baseball team of 1870 was
organized with the following officers: S. D. Conant, president; E. T.
Smith, vice-president; C. G. Griffith, secretary; F. Z. Kimball,
treasurer; G. L. Huntoon, E. T. Smith and W, A. Davis, directors;
G. L. Huntoon, captain. The Reveille of 1874 gives a full account of
the games that year and states that eight games were played with
only one defeat. In this Reveille is also mentioned the fact that
the teams of 1871 and 1872 held the state championship. The
members of the team of 1874 were: E. J. Ross, captain; R. A.
Silver, pitcher; H. A. Cliff ord,^catcher; H. C. Dole, center field;
George D. Thomas, shortstop; C. W. Wheeler, second base; H.L.
Sherman, left field; J. H. Woodward, third base, and E. S. Marsh
right field. During this period games were played in the fall as
well as in the spring.

The 6X and the Ji'// fraternities flourished in this period.
Their lodge rooms were for some time in the village, and later they



168 NORWICH UNIVERSITY.

had rooms on the third floor of Jackman Hall. The Reveille of
1874 gives the organization of the Pol^^gon Society; from the
symbol of the club one would be led to believe it was a mathe-
matical society. No data has been preserved as to the length of
its existence or its scope of work.

The publishing of the Reveille was begun by Captain Curtis in
1869, and continued at irregular intervals until 1878.

Considerable attention was paid to debating and prize speak-
ing in this period; rhetorical work Avas required each week. For a
few years the exercises were given Saturday morning, and later,
Friday afternoon. Dramatic clubs were organized at various
times. In 1874, "Neighbor Jackwood, " and the "Loyal Moun-
taineers, " were played in Concert Hall for the benefit of the North-
field Cornet Band. Musical clubs were conducted at irregular
intervals during this period. The Glee club of 1870 was composed
of the following members : W. A. D. Davis, G. L. Huntoon, W. P.
Clement, A. B. Gilbert, C. S. Jewett, W. L. Stedman, S. D. Conant,
and Walter Dole.

It will be of great interest to the men of recent years to know
that the cadets of the earlier period were guilty of the heinous
crime of burning the grass on the Parade. The Reveille of 1874-75
gives a long editorial on the annual appearance of the " fire bug. "

The cadets attended chapel each morning and were required
to attend the Episcopal church on Sunday, unless excused by the
president on the written request of parents or guardian for the
attendance at one of the other churches in town.

During this period the University became practically an
Episcopal Institution. On December 5, 1866, at a meeting of the
Diocese of Vermont, held in Vergennes, the following resolution
was passed :

"Resolved: that we are gratified to learn, since the removal of Norwich
University to its present desirable location at Northfield, that it is the purpose
of the Trustees to make it more decidedly a Church Institution than ever; and
as such, we cordially commend it to the patronage and support of Churchmen
generally."

In this catalogue a list of six prominent Episcopal clergymen
was given as references. The catalogue further states :

"Though endorsed as above as an Episcopal College, students of all
denominations are treated with the strictest impartiality in every respect."

The commencement of 1867 was held during July 28 —
August 1. Professor Bourns delivered the Baccalaureate sermon



COMMENCEMENTS. 169

Sunday morning, at St. Mary's Episcopal church. On Wednesday,
at 3.30 p. M., the junior class gave an exhibition; at 6:30 p. m.,
the annual meeting of the Associate Alumni and Past Cadets
was held. A 8 ?. m. the Boston Brigade Band gave a con-
cert which was followed by a torch light drill. At 9 a. m.,
August 1, the commencement exercises were held in the
Methodist church. The orations were given as follows: ''The
Soldier: His True Mission and Reward," Seth H. Benson;
"Popular Cultivation of Music," Wesley K. Walton; "The
Land is Sacred we Love," Myron R. Hurlbut; "War not
Opposed to Godliness," with Valedictory, Francis M. Gowdy.
Hon. Charles C. Vanzandt of Newport, R. I., read an original
poem; Hon. S. B. Colby, register of the U. S. Treasury,
Washington, D. C, delivered the commencement oration. Col.

C. B. Stoughton, '61, acted as the University marshall. At 2
o'clock p. M., the ceremony of laying the corner stone of Jackman
Hall was held. There were no public exercises given at the com-
mencements of 1868 and 1869.

The commencement of 1870 was held during July 10 — 14.
President Howard delivered the Baccalaureate sermon at the
Episcopal church, Sunday evening, July 10th. A meeting of
the Alumni Association was held on Wednesday at 4 p. m.;
Gen. W. W. H. Davis, '42, delivered an oration and at 4:30 p. m.,
came the annual meeting of the Associate Alumni and Past
Cadets. At 8 p. m., a concert was given by the Franklin (N. H.)
Brigade Band. The graduating exercises were held at 10 a. m.,
July 14; Captain H. E. Alvord, '63, acted as the University
marshall. The following orations were given: "Make your
Mark," Alfred B. Gilbert; "The West a Field for Enterprise,"
George M. Willard; "Character of Abraham Lincoln," Charles
G. Tarbell; "National Honor," Walter Dole. Hon. James
Barrett of Woodstock delivered the commencement oration
and G. Nelson Brigham, M. D., of Montpelier, read an original
poem before the societies. At 3 p. m., exhibition drills were
given on the parade.

The commencement of 1871 was held during July 12 and 13.
On Wednesday at 8 p. m., a concert was given by the Northfield
cornet band. At 10 a. m., on Thursday, July 13, the graduating
exercises were held at St. Mary's Episcopal church. The follow-
ing program was given: "The Future of Our Republic," Samuel

D. Conant; "Our Ex-Soldiers: Where are They?" William L.
Stedman; "The World's True and False Reformers," James W.



170



NORWICH UNIVERSITY.



Swett; ''Modern Warfare," Francis Z. Kimball; "Pleasures of
Imagination," Charles G. Griffith; "Our Late War," Waldo P.
Clement; "Napoleon and Washington," Stephen H. Campbell;
"Courage," William G. Owen. Rev. Malcolm Douglass delivered
the oration before the trustees and Rev. William J. Harris of
Rutland read an original poem before the societies. At 3 p. m.,





Methodist Church where many commencements exercises have been held.

Gen. William Wells, adjutant -general of Vermont, reviewed and
inspected the corps of cadets.

From July 7 to 12 was held the commencement of 1872.
President Douglass delivered the Baccalaureate sermon Sunday
evening. On Tuesday evening, at 8 p. m., the Northfielcl Cornet



[commencements 171

Band gave a concert. The graduating exercises were held at
St. Mary's church, Friday, July 12, at 11 a. m. The orations
were delivered as follows: "College Life," Stephen H. Campbell;
"Camp Life," Waldo P. Clement; "The Influence of Modern
Arms upon Warfare," William L. Stedman; "The Necessity of
Combining Religious with Intellectual Culture," James W.
Swett; "American Enterprise," Samuel D. Conant; "Memory,"
Charles G. Griffith; "Education, the Condition of National
Strength," Francis Z. Kimball, (gold medalist). Thomas J. Lasier,
'64, delivered the oration before the trustees and Rev. Homer
White read an original poem before the societies. The commence-
ment exercises of 1873 were held on June 25th. Rev. Mr. Flanders
delivered the address before the trustees.

The commencement exercises of 1874 were held from June
21 to 25. President Douglass delivered the Baccalaureate sermon.
On Wednesday, June 24th, at 8 p. m., a vocal and instrumental
concert was given at Concert Hall before the societies. At

9 A. M., June 25, the military exercises were given, Lieut.
Dwight H. Kelton, U. S. A., '64, serving as marshall and inspector.
The following drills were given: infantry drill, Capt. E. D. Up-
ham, commanding; general signal service; inspection and re-
view; artillery drill and firing salute, Lieut. C. E. Field com-
manding.

At 11 A. M., the graduating exercises were held at Concert
Hall. The orations were delivered as follows: Salutatory Ad-
dress, Charles E. Field; "Slavery," Robert A. Silver; "Labor is
Life," Edward D. Upham. Col. Wheelock A. Veazie of Rutland
delivered the oration before the trustees.

The commencement of 1875 was held from June 30th to
July 1. At this commencement was the largest attendance of
alumni of any then held in Northfield, as it was quinquennial
meeting of the Alumni Associations. On Wednesday evening, at
7 p. M., a meeting of the Alumni was held at Concert Hall. Col.
H. O. Kent gave an address on the work of the alumni. At

10 A. M., on July 1, a procession was formed on the Parade and
headed by the Northfield Cornet Band marched to Concert Hall,
where the graduating exercises were held. The following ora-
tions were given: "Courage," Theodore C. Mcllwaine; "Love of
Country," George H. D. Thomas; "Ambitions," Frank C. Hatch;
"Self Knowledge," William M. Rumbaugh. James A. L. Whittier,
'66, delivered the oration before the trustees and Rev. Andrew
Hall, D. D., of Montpelier, read an original poem before the



i72 isroiiwicH uNivERSiTlr.

societies. At 3 p. m., the usual military drills were given on the
campus. The alumni meeting was held at 6 p. m. The commence-
ment of 1876 was held at Concert Hall.

In 1877 the commencement exercises were held in Concert
Hall, in June. The salutatory address was delivered by Lieut.
B. F. Spaulding, and the valedictory by Lieut. H. C. Dole. R. M.
Stephens delivered the class oration. Music was furnished by a
Boston quartette. Interesting drills were given in the afternoon.
Capt. R. M. Stephens had command of the company and skirmish
drills, and Lieut. H. C. Dole the artillery.

In 1878, the commencement exercises were held during
June 23-27. Rev. F. W. Bartlett, the University chaplain,
delivered the Baccalaureate sermon at 4 p. m., Sunday, at the
Episcopal church. On Wednesday evening the commencement
concert was given at Concert Hall; Mr. Albert H. Knight, the
well known dramatist of Chicago, 111., recited.

The graduating exercises, at which Captain Curtis presided,
were held at Concert Hall at 10.30 a. m., June 27. The following
orations were delivered: " Loyalt}^ to Our State," Lieut. John B.
Johnson; "Wonders of Science," Frank L. Howe; "Far From
Home," Eugene M. Carr; "Sources of National Corruption,"
Henry L. Fuller; "Lessons from Our History," Frank H. Parker;
"A Word for Scientific Education," and the valedictory by
Capt. Charles H. Spooner. Rev. Edward R. Atwill, A. M., of
Burlington, delivered the annual address before the trustees,
and in the afternoon the usual drills were given.

In 1879 the exercises came on June 22-26. The Baccalaureate
sermon was delivered by the University chaplain. Rev. F. W.
Bartlett at 4 p. m., Sunday at the Episcopal church. On Wed-
nesday evening. Rev. Walter Mitchell, A. M., of Rutland, delivered
the oration before the trustees. Music was furnished by W. F.
Baker, '80, W. F. Jones, Walter Dole, and Miss Mattie Dole;
Mrs. Mina Gregory Slaj^ton recited. After the exercises the
corps of cadets assisted by Company F., Vermont militia, gave
a torch light drill and parade.

The graduating exercises were held at Concert Hall, at 10.30
A. M., June 26. Orations were delivered as follows: Latin oration,
"Quam Quisque Noret Artem in Hac se Exerceat," Charles H.
Spooner; "What We Gained by the Civil War," E. M. Carr;
Recitation in German, "Erlenkcenig," W. H. Wilmarth; Oration,
"A Mad and Destructive Conflict for Fame," and the vale-
dictory, John B. Johnson.



COMMENCEMENTS. 173

The drills began at 3 p. m., and were given as follows: In-
fantry drill and bayonet exercise, Lieut. E. M. Carr; broadsword
drill, Prof. W. M. Rumbaugh; artillery drill, Capt. John B. John-
son.

An interesting feature of commencement this year was the
display of drawings and the drafting work executed by the cadets.
An especially fine piece of work was the topographical survey
of a portion of the Dog River Valley. An enthusiastic alumni
meeting was held Thursday evening; and following this meeting
Captam and Mrs. Curtis gave a reception to the alumni and
friends of the University at their home on Central street. The
cadets' hop was held at the old hotel at the Center.

During this period the commencement hops were given at
the Old Northfield House. Here also were held several of the
alumni meetings. In March, 1879, the hotel was burned and
after that date the hops were usually given in the Governor Paine
block.



CHAPTER VI.

Lewis College, 1880-84.

Critical Period — Colonel Lewis Offers Aid — Legislative Act —
Change of Name of the L'niversity — Colonel Lewis' Letter — Belknap
Litigation — State Aid — Old Name of the University Restored — Fac-
ulty — Entrance Requirements — Courses of Study — Expenses — Ath-



Online LibraryWilliam Arba EllisNorwich University, 1819-1911; her history, her graduates, her roll of honor (Volume 1) → online text (page 18 of 61)