Copyright
William Arba Ellis.

Norwich University, 1819-1911; her history, her graduates, her roll of honor (Volume 1) online

. (page 28 of 61)
Online LibraryWilliam Arba EllisNorwich University, 1819-1911; her history, her graduates, her roll of honor (Volume 1) → online text (page 28 of 61)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


but without success. Mr. R. D. Potter, one of the freshmen, with his
characteristic energy, organized a team from his class and later a
Sophomore-Freshman team was formed, with Mr. Potter as cap-
tain. Five games were played with only one defeat, the team
winning 135 points to their opponents' 15. The men playing in
the Goddard game were: R. M. Blanchard, '08; P. C. Sinclair, '05;
F. N. Tinker, '06; E. D. Huntley, '08; S. W. Bampton, '06; J. C.
Coulombe, '05; F. M. Barney, '07; W. E. C. Washburn, '04; R. D.
Potter, '07; W. E. Carleton, '06; H. A. Ransom, '07; C. R. An-
drew, '06; W. T. Randall, '07.

The season of 1904 opened with bright prospects for victories,



286 NORWICH UNIVERSITY.

which were realized. Five victorious games were played. Middle-
bury was defeated 17 to 0, but the great game was with the Uni-
versity of Vermont. For many years the Norwich teams had
suffered inglorious defeat and the University of Vermont felt they
were invulnerable. The Norwich team went to Burlington with
the spirit of the University motto, " I Will Try/ ' and in a hard
fought contest Vermont met its Waterloo at the hands of the
Norwich Napoleon, Potter, '07. Vermont was defeated by a
score of 15 to 0. Norwich won this season 49 points to their op-
ponents' 0. The lineup of the team this year was as follows : W.
T. Randall, '07, and A. R.. Hutchins, '08, left end; S. W.
Bampton, '06, left tackle; E. D. Huntley, '08, left guard; F. N.
Tinker, '06, center; C. A. Wood, '07, right guard; H. J. M. Smith,
'08, right taclde; R. D. Potter, '07, quarter back; R. M. Blanchard,
'08, right half back; F. N. Barney, '07, left half back, and J. C.
Coulombe, '05, full back.

In 1905, six games were played with poor success. The
University team was defeated by Vermont with a score of 26 to 0.
G. M. Moore, '07, served as manager, E. W. Smallman, '08, as
assistant manager and E. D. Huntley, '09, as captain.

The season of 1906 opened with brighter prospects for a win-
ning team. ''Jimmie" Turner, a student of Dartmouth college,
was secured as coach; L. J. Clarkson, '08, served as manager,
W. L. Clark, '09, assistant manager, and E. D. Huntley, '08, as cap-
tain. Six games were played this year, Norwich winning only one.
This year the games were played with college teams. The power-
ful Dartmouth team was held to a score of 5 to 0, with the result
that the manager of the Brown University team telegraphed
for a game. In this game Norwich scored a touchdown, but
was defeated by a score of 26 to 4 ; Vermont only defeated the
team by a score of 5 to 0.

In 1907, Mr. Turner was again secured as coach and, through
his energetic work, soon developed a winning team. L. J. Clark-
son, '07, served as manager; C. F. Campbell, '10, assistant manager;
C. N. Barber, '08, and E. D. Huntley, '08, as captains. Eleven
games were arranged with college teams; Norwich won five and
tied two, winning 70 points to their opponents '68. Dartmouth
was held to a score of 12 to on September 28. In this game
L. J. Clarkson, '08, the energetic manager, received injuries of
which he died September 30. Clarkson 's death greatly dampened
the ardor of the team; yet they followed his last instructions to
" play the schedule out regardless of his fate." Vermont was played



FOOT BALL.



287



FOOTBALL

HARVARD -YALE GAME OF VT.

illBtf|[i,t)

UNIVERSITY ^^^«^




AT nVTEROTY PARK



with a score of 11 to 11, and Holy Cross with a score to 0;
Middlebury was defeated in two games, in the first 5 to 0, and in
the second 6 to 5.

In 1908, Mr. James Turner served as coach; Freeman Light,
'10, as manager and J. B. Carswell, '10, as assistant manager,
and M. H. Damon as cajitain. Eight games were played, Norwich
winning 39 points to their opponents ' 44. Middleliury was defeated
in two gams, 22 to and 10 to 0. Two games wereplay ed with
Vermont. In the first
Norwich was defeated
11 to 0. The second
was played at Inter-
C'ity park in jNIontpe-
lier before a large
crowd. The state
legislature adjourned
to witness the game.
After a severe fight
Norwich was defeated
with a score of 11 to 6.

In 1909, Mr. Tur-
ner again served as
coach, F. A. Smith, '11,
as manager and C. F.
Campbell, '10, as cap-
tain. Seven games
were played with col-
leges. The team won
two games, and only
scoring 24 points to
their opponents' 48.
Wesley an was defeated

by a score of 6 to 0, and Middlebury by 13 to 0; Amherst was
played, neither team scoring; Vermont was victorious by a score of
11 too.

In 1910, Mr. R. D. Potter, '07, was secured as coach. He at
once took up the work with vigor. D. H. B. Starr, '11, served
as manager, H. L. Dean, '12, assistant manager, H. J. M. Smith,
'11, captain. Eight games were played. Owing to the service
of the corps at the state fair at White River Junction, the work of
the team was greatly handicapped. St. Michael's college was
defeated on the fair grounds in a practice game 32 to 0. Four





Both Teams are Licepdonaliy Strong Thts Year, and a Hard Fought Game is Assured.
Special Trains will Bring Large Numbers of Rooters from Each College.







Came Called at


3K)0 P. M.










TWMOftWKM


.ADCTS >• »• mtt<,m^Bi


•d br »• -tn


«WH:HC*OfTI..UI


MT UNO " »• -SMAPPICSr-


evfcO k«a« to Nan


b«l«Ml. atllck •« l»d


tiM <*«•!• M>


(•••b U«M> -SNAKE OAIKC- to«t>«*« tKa h*


*M.


V*


r»*«l «lBto« fw


k«r»*«t Ik* W*l taOtf


band >■. M*.


OslJiwl Md t*>»r*


>fl ha


M totVMM rt«»»T


b^


»•


•M».n^ TH


I* te>W «■ l*»« Ika V.


m»„l ,«,.,.


.n U-1, ..h»m« *-


*■








HeK li th€ OpportioitT (


T Evcyo


oe to Witness


■Tbc


Bic GAmc"








ol th<


S«a«>o


m Vermoat.









ADMISSION, 50 cents




1



FOOT BALL. 289

strong teams, Amherst, Brown, Wesleyan, and Trinity were then
played, Norwich failing to score in any of these games. Great
credit should be given the team f or its w^ork in holding Trinity to a
score of 9 to 0. The Hartford, Conn., papers praised the Norwich
team and even conceded that Norwich played the better game,
only being defeated by flukes and a questionable decision. The
next game was with Vermont, and Coach Potter had carefully
trained his team for the game. It was again played at Intert
City park at Montpelier. The Vermont team was especially
strong this year and had just held Cornell to a score of 9 to 6; so
even the inost loyal supporters of the Norwich team were doubtful
of the result. The "N. U." team went into the game with the
spirit of winning. Norwich played the Vermont team off its feet;
it was able to circle the ends, go through the line, and hold at will
the heavier line and more than held its own on punting. At the
end of the second period the score stood 17 to 0. In the last
period Norwich played a defensive game, only working to hold
the points gained.

It W'as significant that Mr. Potter, who played on the " N. U.' '
team that gave Vermont the crushing defeat in 1904, was victorious
in the game of 1910. Eight games were played, and four victories
won. The team scored 103 points to its opponents' 81. Middle-
bury w'as defeated in the last game of the season by a score of 29
to 5. The lineup of the team at the Vermont game was; J. P.
Lee, '13, left end; G. A. Carpenter, '11, left tackle; D. H. B.
Starr, '11, left guard; S. C. Cannon, '12, center; C. H. Alvord,
'13, right guard; H. J. M. Smith, '11, right tackle; Cleveland Weed,
'14, right end; F. H. Colburn, '12, quarter back; A. L. Kelley,
'13, right half back; H. S. Burwell, '13, left half back; R. H. Under-
hill, '13, full back; substitutes, F. V. Hemenway, '12, H. L. Butlef,
'13,. L. C. Taft, '13. The officers for the season of 1911 are,
H. L. Deane, '12, manager, and S. C. Cannon, '12, captain. It
is but justice to Mr. Potter to state that through his energetic
work in 1903 and 1904, he placed the -Norwich team in the college
class. Great credit should be given E. D. Huntley, '09, C. N.
Barber, '08 and H. J. M. Smith, '11, for their work in developing
the team. For some years most of the games were played with
preparatory schools, but at present Norwich is playing as good a
schedule as any college team in New^ England. The work of the
team perhaps has done as much as any one agency to increase
the attendance at the Institution.



290 NORWICH UNIVERSITY.

BASKET BALL.

So far as known, the first attempt to form a basket ball team
was in February, 1901. R. T. Phinney, '02, was elected manager
and W. O. Tuck, '04, assistant manager. No records of games
have been preserved. In November, 1901, a basketball team was
organized with F. H. Burr, '02, as manager. Several games were
played. The game was given up until the fall of 1903, when a
number of experienced players entered the University. A team
was organized with the following players : R. D. Potter, '07, left
guard; J. C. Coulombe, '05, right guard; E. J. Cray, '07, center;
D. P. Thompson, '05, left forward and G. M. Moore, '07, right for-
ward and captain. In several of the games W. K. Means, '07,
played as left forward and R. P. Watson, '07, right forward. Seven-
teen games were played. Norwich won seven and tied in two
games. J. E. McGreen, '05, served as manager. In 1904-05,
the officers of the team were: S. W. Bampton, '06, manager;
G. M. Moore, '07, captain. Eleven games were played, six bemg
won. The team scored 267 points to their opponents' 224. Two
games were played with the Vermont team. In the first Norwich
was defeated with a score of 25 to 8, and in [the second Norwich
was victorious, winning by a score of 40 to 10.

In 1905-06, L. E. Knight, '07, served as manager; G. F.
Mitchell, '08, as assistant, and G. M. Moore, '07, as captain.
Nine games were played. In 1906-07, M. S. Wilder, '08, served
as manager, E. S. Harbour, '09, as assistant manager and R. P.
Watson, '07, as captain. Nine games were played. The members
of the team were: M. S. Wilder, '08, center; R. P. Watson, '07,
and A. W. Reid, '10, backs; F. M. Barney, '09 and G. E. Carpenter,
'09, forwards; E. S. Harbour, '09, F. J. McCarthy, '08 and G. E.
Ames, '09, substitutes. In 1907-08, E. S. Harbour, '09, served
as manager, J. B. Carswell, '10, as assistant manager, and F. M.
Barney, '09 as captain. Thirteen games were played. These
games proved of great interest in town and were well attended.
This sport was discontinued at the end of the season of 1908.

Many attempts have been made to conduct field sports during
commencement week, but with very little success. They were
given on June 12, 1888, and June 25, 1889. They were suspended
from this last date until 1897, when, through the enterprise of the
graduating class of that year, they were revived under the leader-
ship of D. W. Sutherland, '97; several interesting events were
given. They were continued by the class of 1898, and were wit-
nessed by a large crowd. They were not given in 1899, but were



ATHLETIC CLUBS-FRATERNITIES. 291

resumed on June 26, 1900. The various events of that year were
especially good. They were given again on June 25, 1901, since
which date they have not been held; although several attempts
have been made to revive them.

Attention has also been paid to other sports. In 1890, a
hockey club was formed and at irregular intervals this sport has
been continued to date. In the early Nineties a bicycle club was
formed and this sport was continued for some time. In April,
1894, a tennis association was formed with the following officers:
president, R. S. Dowe, '95; vice-president, R. D. Baker, '95;
secretary and treasurer, P. R. Hoefler, '95. From this time con-
siderable attention has been given to the sport, though no regular
teams have been maintained. In the winter of 1898-99, a skeeing
club was formed and this sport has been continued to the present
time. A toboggan club was also formed in 1898-99, which was
continued for some time. Of late years much attention has been
paid to snowshoeing.

During this period the fraternities have become very pros-
perous. The 6X and the AIII fraternities (q.v.) now own
valuable property. On Maj'" 9, 1904, the AK¥ was organized
and on March 18, 1908, became the Alpha Chapter of the I(PE
(q. v.), a national fraternity.

In the winter of 1906, the Commons Club (q. v.) was organized
and continued until February 10, 1910, when the active members
formed tlic 0KJ fraternity (q. v.)

""n the fall of 1910, the old Commons Club was revived through
the efforts of M. J. Buck, '12, and others of the undergradu-
ates, and in Deceml^er it was incorporated by the state legislature.
The former residence of Professor Dole, at the Center, which was
opened as a boarding hall for cadets in the fall of 1910, was secured
by the club for a boarding hall and club rooms. Several benevo-
lent friends have given them assistance in purchasing necessary
furniture.

Various clubs sucii as the "Frankfurters" have been formed
from time to time but have only enjoyed a brief existence. In the
fall of 1905, the three fraternities formed a set of rules in regard to
the time of "chinning" for. new members, which were enforced
until 1910.

During the first part of this period much attention was paid to
debating; but in the latter years very little work was done in this
line until the spring of 1908, when the Middlebury College freshman
class challenged the "N.U." freshmen to a debate in Middlebury.



2192 NORWICH UNIVERSITY.

The challenge was accepted and after some preliminary work,
Fred M. Earle, Glenn M. Eastman, M. R. Nichols, and P. J. Lowell
(alternate) were selected to represent " N. U." The subject was,
"Resolved: that the U. S. Government should subsidise the Mer-
chant Marine." The Norwich team chose the affirmative side of
the question. The debate was given in May and after a spirited
contest the " N. U." freshmen were defeated. Owing to the in-
terest aroused by this debate, the Norwich Tribunal was organ-
ized on December 8, 1908, with the following officers: president,
G. M. Eastman, '11; vice-president, F. H. Colburn, '12; secretary,

F. S. Clark, '09.

In 1909, Middlebury College challenged Norwich to an inter-
collegiate debate, which was accepted. This was the first inter-
collegiate debate ever held in the state. The subject selected was,
"Resolved that the Optional Referendum as used in the Swiss
National Government should be adopted by our State Gover-
ments." Norwich chose the negative side of the question. The
men making the debating team this year were: Fred M. Earle, '11,
Phillip R. Shailler, '11, Glenn M. Eastman, '11, and Tarknath
Das, '11 (alternate). The debate was held in Dewey Hall, April
23, 1909. The judges were Hon. F. A. Howland of Montpelier,
Principal E. G. Ham of Randolph, and Judge Zed Stanton of
Roxbury . After an exciting contest Middlebury was again vic-
torious.

In November, 1909, the Tribunal elected the following
officers: F. H. Colburn, '12; vice-president, H. N. Gordon, '11;
secretary, Crosby Adams, '10; executive committee, J. H. Whitney,
'10; G. D. Stahl, '11, and C. L. Whipple, '12. An effort was made
by Norwich to continue the intercollegiate debates with Middle-
bury, but without success. Since 1909, no active work has been
done by the Tribunal.

During the early years of this period a great deal of attention
was paid to theatrical work. The dX Fraternity presented on
February 27 and 28, 1884, the play "Darkness and Daylight," at
Concert Hall; and on April 17 and 18, 1885, the AIU Fraternity
presented the play, "The Loyal Mountaineer, or the Guerrilla's
Doom," at Concert Hall. Very little attention was paid to theat-
rical work from 1888 until November, 1893, when a Dramatic
Association was formed, with the following officers: president,

G. E. Storrs, '94; secretary and treasurer, H. H. Stearns, '94;
manager, H. C. Moseley, '95. On February 19, 1894, the asso-
ciation presented in Northfield the farce, "Turn Him Out," and



TIHETORICAL WORK — JOURNALISTIC ASSOCIATION. 293

the drama "Our Folks"; and on March 3, the play "Cool Col-
legians." On February 11, 1902, the Ain Fraternity presented
the drama the "Rough Rider." The cadets taking part were,
J. T. Smith, '02, K. R. B. Flint, '03, E. S. Ball, '03, J. K. Morris,
'04, G. C. Eastman, '03, H. A. Chase, '02 and J. H. Denny, '04.

The regular declamation work on Friday afternoons was
continued for several years. Beginning with the winter of 1886-87,
the corps was organized either as a Senate, or a House of Repre-
sentatives, for practical work in legislative methods and for de-
bates. This form of rhetorical work was held each year that the
Vermont legislature was in session and was continued until about
1900. This form of work proved of great advantage to the cadets,
several of whom have later seen much service in the legislative
halls of this and other states. The work was generally taken
seriously and the cadets of the period will remember with amuse-
ment the flights of oratory hurled against the passage of such bills
as the making of Georgia and Stowe state hunting parks, and the
impeachment of "Governor Dowe." Since 1908 the rhetorical
work of the cadets has been confined to the freshman class work.

In INIay, 1892, a Press Club was formed for the purpose of
furnishing the papers of the country with information concerning
the affairs of the University. The following officers were elected :
president, F. A. Manual, '93 ; secretary, E. W. Gaynor, '93 ; trea-
surer, G. E. Storrs, '94. This club was continued until 1894. At
various times attempts were made to organize a club , but without
success until June 1909, when an organization was perfected with
the following officers: H. N. Gordon, '11, president; C. L. Whipple,
'12, vice-president; C. F. Murray, '13, secretary and treasurer.
This board of officers has been continued to date.

On May 25, 1903, the Reveille was represented at the aimual
meeting of the New England Inter-Collegiate Press Association, in
Boston, by K. R. B. Flint, '03.

In April, 1909, the Norwich University Journalistic Asso-
ciation was formed for the purpose of " encouraging literary and
journalistic work, to unite more closely the alumni, faculty, and
the student body, to supervise the printing of the various student
publications and to place the Institution more consistently before
the public." A committee of five, consisting of Prof. K. R. B.
Flint (chairman), Prof. E. A. Winslow, Prof. E. A. Spear, W. F.
Johnson, '10, and L. N. Burhoe, '11, was appointed to draft a
Constitution and By-Laws for the government of the Association.
The constitution was adopted June 23, 1909.



294 NORWICH UNIVEKSITY.

A reception was given President Charles H. Lewis, at
Howe's Hall, June 16, 1882, at 8 p. m. Mr. Isaac N. Jenks of
Northfield introduced the guests. Speeches were made by Hon.
Frank Plumley, President Lewis, Dr. P. D. Bradford, Col. F. V.
Randall, and Judge Heman Carpenter; music was furnished by the
Northfield orchestra. Receptions were given various members
of the faculty and prominent guests during 1883-97. Since 1897
President Brown and President Spooner have given recep-
tions to the cadets and friends of the University, during the fall
term and at commencement. These receptions have been the
most interesting social events of the academic year.

The social life of the cadet has not been neglected. For many
years a lecture course was given in town, the cadets being among
the most liberal supporters. Many prominent citizens of this and
other states have delivered addresses before the corps. Many
musical and literary entertainments have been given on the Hill
since the completion of Dewey Hall. For the last few years
the fraternities, classes, and the various atliletic and musical
organizations, have given hops in Dewey Hall, which have been
well attended by the alumni and residents of the town. For
several years the various chm-ches of Northfield have given re-
ceptions to the freshman class in the fall term, and have through
their various church socials assisted in making the stay of the cadet
in town pleasant. On June 19, 1885, Professor Habel gave a dinner
to the graduating class and faculty at his home, in accordance with
a custom at the German Universities. In the last few years the
corps have been given addresses by the alumni on practical en-
gineering work .

Since 1891 several dancing schools have been conducted in
town and on the Hill by the cadets.

SHELDON PRIZE SPEAKING CONTESTS.

In 1889, Mr. N. L. Sheldon, of the class of 1884, in order to
stimulate in the corps of cadets an interest in public speaking,
founded the Sheldon Prizes, for competition between the sopho-
more and freshman classes. Two prizes were given until 1893, then
three were offered. All the members of the two classes were
required to participate in the exercises as a part of the regular
rhetorical work. Beginning with 1896, preliminary contests
were held in the spring term for the selection of the men for the
final competition at commencement. Until 1904, ten men were
chosen for the final competition and after that date eight.



SHELDON PRIZE SPEAKING. 295

For many years the cadets took great interest in the contest.
There was great rivah-y between the two fraternities in securing
the coveted prizes. They gave the contestants much training in
their lodge rooms, even hiring elocutionists to assist in the work.
In many cases the former winners of the prizes gave their fra-
ternity brothers the benefit of their training. Through this
energetic work many a backward cadet was made a prize win-
ner. Until the completion of Dewey Hall in 1902, these contests
were held in Concert Hall and formed one of the most attractive
features of the conunencement week exercises. Owing to the
increased amount of work required of the freshman and so])homore
classes, it was decided not to hold the contest in 1910.

The first contest was held at 8 p. m., Tuesday, June 25, 1889.
The contestants were : George F. Abbott, E. L. Young, A. F. Booth,
H. C. Sweeney, P. G. Smith, and E. A. Shaw of the class of 1891 ;
and E. H. Ryan, M. I. Gilder and R. H. Ford of the class of 1892.
The judges were Prof. Charles Wesley Emerson of Boston, Rev.
A. J. Hough of Montpelier, and Rev. A. H. Webb of Northfield.
The first prize was won b}^ E. H. Ryan, '92 and the second by
G. L. Ballou, '91. Tlio Cadet hand and Chase's orchestra fur-
nished music.

The second contest was held Tuesda}^ at 8 p.m., June 24, 1890.
The contestants were : E. H. Ryan, R. W. Porter, B. W. Gleason,
M. I. Gilder and R. H. Ford of the class of 1892; and E. W. Gaynor,
G. I.. Andrews, E. C. Bennett, E. W. Clark, and F. D. Holbrook
of the class of 1893. The judges were: Rev. A. J. Hough, C. A.
Livingstone of Montpelier, and J. B. Adams of Randolph. E. W.
Gaynor, '93 won tlie first prize and E. C. Bennett, '93, the
second.

The third contest was held June 23, 1891. The judges were:
Rev. V. M. Hardy, of Randolph, Rev. G. W. Gallagher and
F. J. Martin of Montpelier. The first prize was won by E. W.
Gaynor, '93, and the second by E. C. Bennett, '93; music was
furnished by Chase's orchestra.

The fourth contest was held June 28, 1892. The contestants
were:F. A. Gokey, 93; H. B. Wason, E. W. Gibson, George E.
Storrs of the class of 1894, B. H. Prior, George Donnelly, H. C.
Moseley, P. R. Hoefler, U. J. Ryan and W. G. Huntley, of the
class of 1895. The judges were: Prof. S. J. Blanpied of Montpelier,
Lieut. George W. Getchell, U. S. A., and Mr. J. A. DeBoer of
Montpelier. The first prize was won by W. G. Huntley, '95,
and the second by B. H. Prior, '95. E. W. Gibson and G. E.



296 NORWICH UNIVERSITY,

Storrs received honorable mention; Chase's orchestra furnished
the music.

The fifth contest was held June 26, 1893. The contest-
ants were: H. C. Moseley, H. H. Stearns, E. W. Gibson, George
Donnelly, F. J. Donahue, of the class of 1895; and James L.
Averill, H. S. Clark, E. M. McCarty, A. H. Cushman, W. G. Brooks,
C. A. Plumley and C. S. Carleton of the class of 1896. The judges
were: Rev. A. H. Webb and Rev. Allen Judd of Northfield, and
Lieut. George W. Getchell,^U. S. A. E. W. Gibson, '95, won the
first prize, C. A. Plumley, '96, the second, and H. C. Moseley, '95,
the third.

The sixth contest was held on June 30, 1894. The contest-
ants were: C. J. Scribner, C. S.'^Carleton, H. S. Clark, James L.
Averill, C. H. Brooks, F. B. Thomas, A. H. Cushman and W. G.
Brooks of the class of 1896; and W. C. Spafford and H. V. Dunham,
of the class of 1897. The judges were: Mr. W. A. Lord, Prof.



Online LibraryWilliam Arba EllisNorwich University, 1819-1911; her history, her graduates, her roll of honor (Volume 1) → online text (page 28 of 61)