William Drysdale.

Old faces, old places and old stories of Stirling (Volume 1) online

. (page 10 of 25)
Online LibraryWilliam DrysdaleOld faces, old places and old stories of Stirling (Volume 1) → online text (page 10 of 25)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


returned to London, where he took up his residence at Fitzroy
Square, and where he spent the remainder of his life in painting
and acquiring pictures.

Mr Smith having made known his intention of founding a
public institution in Stirling, and afterwards having consulted
with Provost Rankin and Dr Barty, Dunblane, the various
details were arranged, and his wishes embodied in a testa-
mentary writing on 12th November, 1869. He thereafter re-
turned to France, and died very suddenly at Avignon on 31st
December, 1869.

Mr Smith was a genial and instructive companion, exceed-



112 OLD STIRLING.

ingly kind of heart, and passionately devoted to the love of
art, the collection of paintings now on the walls of the Institute
which bears his name affording evidence of this, and in the
getting together of which he spared neither trouble nor
expense.



Mr. William Wordie.

Died 9th October, 1874.

Mr Wordie was a " Son of the Rock," his father being the
general carrier between Stirling and Glasgow long prior to the
advent of railways. While the business remained exclusively
in the hands of his father, it attained to comparatively little
importance, but when the subject of our sketch took it in hand
it soon began to assume dimensions not previously calculated
upon. Soon after the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was
opened, by which his ordinary carrier traffic was in great
measure superseded, he established a system of railway goods
vans between the terminal and roadside stations, and from the
latter the goods were distributed over a large area of country,
collecting being done in the same way. When Stirling was
brought into close communication with the outer world by the
opening of the Scottish Central Railway, Mr Wordie secured
the contract for the cartage at the station, and thus there was
established a connection whose range now extends from Port-
patrick and Stranraer in the south of Scotland, to Thurso and
John o' Groats in the extreme north : as the rhyme went

" You find Wordie & Co.
Wherever you go."

For a time there was a good deal of uphill work, but in the
end success was attained, and the business of Wordie & Co. has
become one of the greatest of the kind at home or abroad. Mr
Wordie was universally esteemed amongst those who knew him.



NOTABLE CITIZENS OF STIRLING. 113

Sir George Harvey, P.R.S.A.

Died 22nd January, 1876.

Sir George Harvey was born at St. Ninians in 1805, his father
a most worthy man being a watchmaker there. Appren-
ticed to Mr M'Laren, bookseller, (now No. 5) Bow Street,
Stirling, Sir George's love of art showed itself in the con-
tinual use of pencil and brush, one of his first attempts being
a group of fish, which was exhibited in the window of his
employer's shop. In his eighteenth year the desire of his heart,
to enter upon a regular course of artistic training, was gratified
by his being enabled to study at the Trustees' Academy in
Edinburgh, where he remained two years.

It is no small tribute to his talent that he became an original
Associate of the Scottish Academy, established at that time.
Sir George's first picture, " A Village School," was exhibited in
1826 at the Edinburgh Institution, and the following year he
had no less than seven pictures on exhibition. On the death
of Sir John Watson Gordon, in 1864, he was elected to the
presidentship of the Scottish Society, and the honour of knight-
hood followed in 1867. Sir George was a generous but keen
critic of art, caring only for the best ; exceedingly kind to
young students, and often, if he found them deserving, giving
substantial help in more ways than one. Some of the best
known of his works are " Quitting ' the Manse," "A Highland
Funeral," " Curlers/' and " Covenanters Preaching."

' James Hogg, Journalist.

Died 25th September, 1876.

James Hogg was born at Cowden, in the parish of Madderty,

Perthshire, on 24th January, 1823. His maternal ancestors

the Murrays had been tenants on the Abercairney estate for

several hundred years. When three years of age his father

H



114 OLD STIRLING.

removed to Edinburgh, and subsequently to Leith, from whence
after a time he removed to Inverkeithing, in Fifeshire. Mr
Hogg was educated chiefly in Edinburgh, where he attended the
University for three sessions, 1842-1845, with great distinction,
especially in classical and philosophical studies. The certificate
granted him by Professor Wilson is characteristic alike of the
Professor and student : " Mr James Hogg was one of the best
and most distinguished of the class. John Wilson." Before
leaving the University Mr Hogg had already entered on the
career of a teacher, as during the summer vacation of 1844
he acted as assistant at the school at Inverkeithing. This was
the period of the Disruption excitement, when the Free Church
was planting churches and schools all over the country. To
one of these schools at Kirriemuir Mr Hogg was appointed in
1845. From there he was transferred to the charge of the
school at Kinross, and thence to Kincardine-on-Forth. From
all these places came emphatic testimony to the value of his
work as a teacher, the esteem in which he was held by his
fellow-townsmen, and the affection cherished for him by his
pupils.

In 1853 he left Kincardine to enter on his connection with
the " Stirling Journal," a connection which lasted nearly the
half of his too short lifetime. In 1858 he acquired half of the
property of the paper, and from October, 1867, was sole pro-
prietor. His function as a public critic necessitated many a
controversy. He was never afraid to take a side or to speak
his mind, but, though he dealt many a heavy blow, at men not
less than at institutions, no one ever did, or could accuse him
of personal malice. His scorn of pretence and meanness was
intense and outspoken ; but he was a true friend of modest
merit, and misfortune never appealed to his sympathy in vain.
His generosity was open-handed and unbounded, and how
tender-hearted and true his friends could tell.

He had an ardent love for all out of door and field sports,
and was himself an adept in most of them, angling, boating,
athletics, and especially his favourite pastime, curling ; and
these he did much to promote in this neighbourhood. He was
in 1868 one of the vice-presidents of the Royal Caledonian
Curling Club. To him, along with Mr Carswell of Paisley, is



NOTABLE CITIZENS OF STIRLING. 115

the Royal Club indebted for their revised rules. He was one
of the originators of the Stirling Castle Club, and the piece of
ground selected by him is one of the finest ponds in Scotland.

Mr Hogg was for some years a Town Councillor, and, as such,
did some good work; he was also an officer in the Volunteer
Artillery Corps. In social and other gatherings he was the life
of the meetings, his jokes and repartee being of the choicest.



Mr. Peter Drummond,

Founder of " The Stirling Tract Enterprise."

On 9th July, 1877, Mr Peter Drummond died at Wardie
Road, Edinburgh, whither he had gone to reside. Born in the
parish of St. Niuians in February, 1799, at an early age he
entered his father's business as seedsman, and retired in 1852
in order to devote his whole attention to the work of the Stir-
ling Tract Enterprise. The Stirling Agricultural Museum was
originated by him in 1831, and was an object of great interest,
its institution being so successful that the Highland and
Agricultural Society presented the firm with their gold medal
for the originality and carrying out of the project.

The Stirling Tract Enterprise which has a world-wide
celebrity, and brought Mr Drummond much more prominently
before the public was unconsciously commenced by him in
1848. For some years he had been grieved to learn the amount
of Sabbath desecration in the neighbouring village of Cambus-
kenneth, and for a time, along with several friends, did what
he could, by speaking to individuals, and occasionally address-
ing as many as would gather round him in the open air, to per-
suade them of the evil of their course. The thought occurred
to him it might be of use to issue a plain, pointed tract, a copy
of which might be put into the hands of all who visited Cambus-
keniieth on the Lord's Day. That thought was the beginning
of the Stirling Tract Enterprise. Immediately Mr Drummond
set about the compilation of a suitable tract, and had 10,000
copies thrown off, which within a month were exhausted, and
applications from all quarters were so numerous, that Mr



116 OLD STIRLING.

Drummond resolved to issue another edition this time of
100,000 copies, however, and, within a few mouths, a third
edition had to be issued also of 100,000 copies. The practical
result, so far as concerned the direct object of the movement,
was an immediate and most marked diminution in the amount
of Sabbath desecration at Cambuskenneth.

The success of this little effort took him by surprise. So he
felt constrained to go forward again in a direction to which
local circumstances seemed providentially to point. Mr Drum-
mond had a tract prepared on theatre-going, and showered
copies of it over the town, and with special profusion among the
crowds drawn by the music of the band to the doors of the
theatre. The result was even more marked than in the first
instance, the players in a day or two leaving the town, and not
returning for years afterwards. Again successful, he again
went forward. For a long time in Stirling, as elsewhere, " the
Races " had been a fruitful source of dissipation and crime, and
it was resolved to bring the tract power to bear in this con-
nection also. Tracts and large posting bills were prepared and
wrought, if possible, with even more than the former determin-
ation and energy. And, although far from claiming for that
agency the full credit of what soon followed, other providential
circumstances having aided in producing the result, yet in its
own place it told powerfully, and now for many years horse-
racing has been unknown in Stirling. Xor was the good done
in these connections confined to the locality, as demands for
copies of the various tracts poured in from all quarters.
Altogether, the sphere of usefulness widened so rapidly, that
within three years Mr Drummond found to his amazement that
no fewer than three millions of tracts had been put in circula-
tion. While he wondered whereunto this would grow, a further
impetus of an extraordinary kind was given to the work by the
institution of the system of book-postage.

In accordance with the uniform experience of all such under-
takings, the periodical soon followed the tract, in March, 1853,
the first number of the " British Messenger " being issued, and
a large circulation speedily secured. In 1857 he commenced
another now well-known publication of the Enterprise, viz.,
the " Gospel Trumpet," specially as a large type religious paper



NOTABLE CITIZENS OF STIRLING. 117

for the aged, and for the large numbers in town and country
who could only read with difficulty, and it rose to sixty
thousand copies monthly before the close of the first year. So
large indeed was the amount of work now done, that the local
Post Office required to be enlarged, and its staff increased,
simply to meet the growing demands of the Enterprise. For
the same reason Mr Drummond was constrained to seek larger
premises for his operations. The place of business he had
leased had become too small for the accommodation of the
business staff he had found it needful to engage. In March,
1862, the staff of the Enterprise entered 011 possession of new
premises. Mr Drummond at the same time made provision
for handing over the whole property of the Enterprise to
Trustees, with a view to its permanent maintenance as an
evangelistic agency. A third monthly publication, " Good
News," was begun in 1862. Its design was to supply reading
of an evangelistic character, which should be sufficiently simple
and pointed to be of use in general mission work, and also in
Sabbath schools.

From that time onwards the work has gone forward, ever
striking out new lines of usefulness as the growing needs of the
times have demanded. But the work was extending so rapidly
that it soon outgrew the limits of the place in which it was being
carried on, and it became evident for a second time that larger
premises must be secured. In 1887 the Depot in King Street
was sold, and the foundation-stone of the new Depot in Dum-
barton Road laid. The building, with nearly double the accom-
modation of its predecessor, was soon completed, and in May,
1888, the work of the Enterprise was transferred to its new
home. In 1893 a still further addition to the premises was
rendered necessary. Special mention must be made of the
gratuitous circulation of its publications by the Stirling Tract
Enterprise. This has formed a prominent feature from the
beginning. Grants are made to clergymen, missionaries, and
open-air preachers, to Sabbath schools, temperance societies,
&c. ; and in this way many millions of the papers have been
circulated, chiefly amongst the outcast and neglected of our
population in town and country. Of the good effected in this
way, numerous encouraging testimonies have been given. One



118 OLD STIRLING.

notable feature during recent years has been the recognition of
the need for tracts as a means of spreading the Gospel on the
Continent of Europe. A large number of French tracts have
been issued, and there are also tracts in German, Italian,
Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Danish and Norwegian, Swedish,
and Slovenian ; so that now the Stirling Enterprise has Gospel
messages to send throughout the greater part of Europe, which
they can read in their own tongue.

At the celebration of the jubilee of the Enterprise in October
1898, it was reported that something like 470 millions of publi-
cations had been issued altogether, over 20 millions being
issued during the twelve months preceding. Of these, nearly
170 millions had been given away in grants for work at home
and abroad, the value of which was 84,248 17s. ; and towards
this contributions to the amount of 68,835 had been received,
the difference of 15,413 having been met by the business
department.

Mr Drummond was in many respects a remarkable man. Of
a warm and sympathetic nature, he was ever ready to extend
what aid he could to young men, and not a few have reason to
revere his memory on this ground. He was also genuinely
simple, sincere, and kindly in his personal religion, and
possessed of a rare energy, strong moral courage, and indomit-
able perseverance in his efforts to combat evil, in whatever
form it presented itself. The young had also in him one of the
most painstaking and thoughtful instructors, and the cause of
Sabbath schools in and around Stirling owed much to his
efforts. For many years he was the superintendent of the Free
North Church school, whilst other schools considered them-
selves highly favoured when they had a visit from him. He was
also an elder in the above church. As a religious speaker Mr
Drummond was in some respects inimitable, and no one who
heard his impassioned and earnest utterances could ever forget
him, or have doubt as to his sincerity. By rich and poor alike
was he greatly beloved, and, on his removal to Edinburgh in
1874, on account of failing health, his fellow-townsmen pre-
sented him with his portrait, painted by Mr Norman Macbeth,
and an address inscribed on vellum, " in token of their respect



NOTABLE CITIZENS OF STIRLING. 119

for his character, and in appreciation of his lifelong labours in
the cause of Christian truth."



Mr. Henry Drummond.

Died 1st January, 1888.

Mr Henry Drummond (father of the late Professor Drum-
moiid, author of " Natural Law in the Spiritual World," &c.)
was born on 27th July, 1809, the eighth son of Mr William
Drummond, of Coneypark Nurseries, and for many years
from the withdrawal of his brother Peter in order to give
attention to the business of the Stirling Tract Enterprise the
active head of the local branch of the firm of Wm. Drummond
& Sons, seedsmen and nurserymen, Stirling and Dublin. His
business relations were characterised by a straight-forwardness
and uprightness which were very marked, while in private his
society was greatly esteemed, and no one could be long in his
company without learning that in Mr Drummond they had a
friend 011 whose counsel they could most implicitly rely.

Mr Drummond took little interest in municipal matters, the
only public office he held being membership in the Burgh School
Board for six years. He wa.s also a Justice of the Peace for
the county, vice-president of Stirling Royal Infirmary, and held
office in several societies connected with the town and neigh-
bourhood, being a trustee of the Stirling Tract Enterprise, of
the Stirling branch of the National Security Savings Bank, and
of the Stirlingshire Friendly Assurance Society; president of
the Stirling Auxiliary of the National Bible Society, and of the
Stirling branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. He
was also a member of the Kirk Session of the Free North
Church, the affairs of that congregation having in him a warm
friend and willing helper. Of the Stirling Young Men's
Christian Association he was honorary president, and by the
young men of that institution greatly esteemed ; and also
honorary president of the Stirling Sabbath School Teachers'
Union, Sabbath school work having his hearty advocacy, his
experience as superintendent of a school in Cambusbarron



120 OLD STIRLING.

enabling him to speak with some degree of authority. Nor was
he content with the attendance of the children, but their after-
life was watched with interest. The annual meetings for the
young in connection with the Stirling Christian Conference
were always presided over by him, his presence at these meet-
ings being acceptable in a high degree. He was spoken of as
" The Children's Friend," his genial humour, his kindly face,
his genuine humanity, and his intense earnestness enabling him
to hold a gathering of children, no matter how large, spell-
bound. The Stirling Working Boys' and Girls' Religious
Society for long received considerable support, financial and
other, from Mr Drummond, and he was for some time its
president. The Stirling Ragged and Industrial Schools had
also in him a warm friend, and he was a member of the manag-
ing committee. Indeed, with nearly every agency of a religious
or philanthropic character in town he was identified in some
way or other, and his generosity was unstinted, more especially
where the religious and social well-being of his fellows was
concerned. It was only after he had passed mid life that Mr
Drummond became a public speaker, and on one occasion, at an
agricultural gathering in the North, where he was introduced
as Mr Drummond of Stirling, he said he was " not the speaking
Drummond " (referring to his brother Peter). Very rapidly,
however, he came to the front as a platform speaker, more
especially at social gatherings, where his addresses were always
enjoyed, and fortunate indeed were those agencies which
secured his services, which he gave ungrudgingly.

Mr Drummond's wish was that his funeral should be con-
ducted privately, but on a request being preferred to the
relatives by the Town Council that they might be permitted to
attend officially, the request was acceded to.



Mr. Daniel Ferguson, Bone=Setter.

Daniel Ferguson (" Danny "), the well-known bone-setter,
died on 29th June, 1888, at the advanced age of 85. The
deceased was a wood sawyer, but, having inherited his father's
skill in bone-setting, he educated himself, and attended medical



NOTABLE CITIZENS OF STIRLING. 121

classes in Glasgow University. His practice of bone doctor
rapidly increased, and for many years he paid periodical visits
to Glasgow and Dundee, where crowds of people attended his
reception rooms for treatment. Some remarkable cures were
attributed to his skill, and in not a few instances he succeeded
after the regular faculty had failed. Scarcely a Saturday
passed that carts from the country did not bring to his door
afflicted persons of the humbler classes, and his wonderful fame
attracted patients from long distances. In private life Mr
Ferguson was much esteemed, and his death caused general
regret. A very handsome monument, with medallion portrait
of the "Doctor," may be seen in the Cemetery, erected by
patients and admirers.

As far back as 1841 Mr Ferguson's services were appreciated
and recognised, as in April of that year he was entertained to
supper, and presented, on behalf of upwards of thirteen hun-
dred subscribers with a set of surgical instruments, in
mahogany case, together with a purse containing 130
sovereigns, " as a mark of the esteem in which the subscribers
held his zealous and efficient services in the cure of sores, dis-
locations, and compound fractures, along with the respect
which they held for his private virtues."



Andrew Wilson, Bannockburn.

Died 22nd February, 1890.

A long and useful life was lived by Andrew Wilson, Rector
of the Wilson Academy, Bannockburn. A native of Berwick-
shire, he commenced teaching at the early age of 15, and
intending to devote himself to the ministry, he attended the
University of Edinburgh, where he distinguished himself and
carried off several prizes. Such, indeed, was his enthusiasm for
education that he induced two of his brothers to take a full
collegiate course, but all three ultimately became teachers.
Mr Wilson was ifirst appointed to Buckhaven School, then to
Pathhead, Kirkcaldy, where among his pupils were the Rev. Dr



122 OLD STIRLING.

Blair, Dunblane, and Captain Wylie, the famous blockade
runner during the American Civil War. In 1849, Mr Wilson
was appointed rector of the newly-opened James Wilson
Academy, Bannockburn, a situation which he held for thirty
years. As a teacher Mr Wilson gained a high reputation in
the district, his services being especially in demand for the
tuition of those who were desirous of a University training,
and to his conscientious labours many have been indebted for
their subsequent success in their profession or business. In
every charitable and benevolent agency he took a part, and he
loved nothing better than to visit the sick and perform those
kindly offices which his honourable position, his high character,
and his natural disposition eminently fitted him to discharge.



A FEW LOCAL POETS.
William Sinclair.

1811-1870.




SINCLAIR, the author of "The Battle of
Stirling Bridge," was born in Edinburgh in 1811.
Of his parents little is known; his father was a
trader, and it is enough to say they were respect-
able. After receiving the rudiments of education he was
apprenticed, in his fourteenth year, to a bookseller. Fortun-
ately for him, his employer had an extensive circulating library,
and of this the future poet made good use, for he was a wide
reader. While yet an apprentice he courted the muse, con-



A FEW LOCAL POETS. 123

tributiiig to various newspapers and popular periodicals, and
these attracting the notice of Christopher North, some of his
effusions were granted a place in " Blackwood's Magazine."
After completing his apprenticeship he seems to have followed
a somewhat divisive course, as we next find him employed as
clerk to a Dundee lawyer. Here, however, he appears also
to have been at sea regarding an occupation ; for, after a short
spell of drudgery amid quills, deeds, and red tape, he began
to look for employment of a different nature. Soon he received
the desired appointment, and proceeded to Liverpool to fill
a situation in Her Majesty's Custom House, being, after a short
term, transferred to Leith. While in Leith he gave to the
world the bulk of his verse, in 1843 publishing " Poems of the
Fancy and Affections," the only collected work that came from
his pen.

Being of a changeable disposition, he grew weary of Custom
House duties, the consequence being that he relinquished his
post and removed to Stirling, during his residence here filling
the post of reporter on the staff of the " Stirling Journal," and
it was while in Stirling that he published his most famous song.
At a demonstration held in connection with the building of the
National Wallace Monument 011 the Abbey Craig, the late Dr
Charles Rogers intimated that he would give a copy of his
" Modern Scottish Minstrel " for the best song commemorative
of the battle of Stirling Bridge. Of the pieces sent in for
competition, William Sinclair's was deemed the best, and he
was accordingly awarded the prize, the song, set to music by


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Online LibraryWilliam DrysdaleOld faces, old places and old stories of Stirling (Volume 1) → online text (page 10 of 25)