William E. A. (William Edward Armytage) Axon.

The annals of Manchester: a chronological record from the earliest time to the end of 1885 online

. (page 31 of 63)
Online LibraryWilliam E. A. (William Edward Armytage) AxonThe annals of Manchester: a chronological record from the earliest time to the end of 1885 → online text (page 31 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


228 AnTiala of Manchester. [Ism

Mr. John Dalton, D.C.L. Oxon, F.R.S.L. and E., president of the Literary
and Philosophical Society of Manchester, died July 27, in his 78th year. Dr.
Dalton was bom at Eaglesfleld, near Cockermouth, Cumberland, September 5»
1766, of respectable parents, members of the Society of Friends. He gave early
indications of mathematical ability. In 1781 he became a mathematical teacher
in Kendal, from whence he contributed largely on mathematical, philosophical,
and general subjects to the two annual works called the OentlemetCa Diary
and the Ladies^ Diary. In 1788 he commenced his meteorological observations,
which he continued throughout his life. In 1703 he published Meteorologieal
Observations and Essays. In the same year he was appointed Professor of
Mathematics and Natural Philosophy in the New College, Mosley Street,
Manchester, and continued to hold this office until the college was finally
removed to York . In 1808 he published A New System of Chemical Philosophy,
and a second part in 1810. Ho also frequently contributed to Nicholsons
Journal, the AnTUils of Philosophy, and the Philosophical Magazine, as well
as to the memoirs of the Literary and Philosophical Society of Manchestar, of
which, for fifty years, he was an active member, having been elected on the
25th of April, 1794. Dr. Dalton had been president of this society since 1817.
In 1826 he received the gold medal of the Royal Society for his sdentiflc
discoveries ; and in 1833 the sum of £2,000 was raised by his friends and towns-
men for the erection of a statute to perpetuate his memory. The task was
entrusted to Sir Francis Chantry, who brought to the execution of his subject
not only his artistic genius but a warm admiration of the man. The statue,
when completed, was placed in the entrance haU of the Boyal Manchester
Institution. The University of Oxford conferred on the septuagenarian
philosopher the degree of Doctor of Civil Law. ** Though Dr. Dalton's great
discovery, the 'Atomic Theory,*** says Whewell, **was soon generally
employed, and universally spoken of with admiration. It did not bring to him
anything but barren praise, and he contiuued in his humble employment when
his fame had filled Europe and his name become a household word in the
laboratory. After some years he was appointed a corresponding member of
the Institute of France, which may be considered as a European recognition of
the importance of what he had done. In 1833, at the meeting of the British
Association for the Advancement of Science, which was held at Cambridge, it
was announced that the King had bestowed upon him a pension of £160, which
act of liberality enabled him to pass the remainder of his days in comparative
ease.** Dalton was buried August 12, in a vault In Ardwick Cemetery. The
body lay in state at the Town HaU, on Saturday, August 10, and the public
were allowed to pass through the room during the greater part of the day, and
it was supposed that nearly 40,000 persons availed themselves of this privilege.
At eleven o'clock on Monday, the procession moved f robi the Town Hall in the
following order: About 500 members of various societies, 22 carriages, 300
gentlemen, 10 carriages, 100 members of various institutions, 36 carriages, the
last of which contained the Mayor of Manchester (Mr. Alexander Kay,), the
hearse drawn by six horses, six mourning coaches drawn by four horses each,
containing the relatives and friends of the deceased, followed by the members
of the Philosophical Society. The procession moved through the principal
streets in the town, and was Joined, near the cemetery, by a large body of the



Digitized by



Google



20M] Annals of Manchester. 229

Sodety of Friends. Most of the mills and workshops were closed, as were also
the whole of the shops in the principal streets of the town. The vault In which
the hody was laid was allowed to remain open until five o'clock in the evening,
daring which period many thousand persons viewed the coffin.

The Irwell Buildings, in Blackfriars Street, partially destroyed hy fire,
August 6. The damage was £20,000. During the fire two men were killed by
the falling of a *' catrhead.**

A great public meeting was held in the Town Hall, for the purpose of
taking into consideration the formation of public parka in Manchester. A
subscription was set on foot, which in a few weeks amounted to the sum of
£8,000. Lord Francis Egerton, Sir Benjamin Heywood, and Mr. Mark Philips
each subscribed £1,000, and six other gentlemen £500 each. August 8.

The Venerable Henry Vincent Bay ley, D.D., died, August 12. He was son of
Thomas Butterworth Bayley, and was bom at Hope Hall, Dec 0, 1777, and was
educated at Winwick Grammar School, Eton, and Trinity College, Cambridge
He was elected fellow of his college in October, 1802, and in 1803 ordained deacon
and afterwards priest. He was presented to the Bectory of Stilton, made sub-
dean of Lincoln In 1806, and in 1811 Bector of Messingham. There is some glass in
Messingham Church which Dr. Bayley bought from the Manchester Cathedral,
which was then being restored. In 1823 he was made Archdeacon of Stow, and
received his D.D. degree from Cambridge. In 1826 he was made Rector of
Westmaon. In 1828 he exchanged his sub-deanery for a canonry at West-
minster. He was the author of A Sermon preciched at an Ordination in the
Cathedral Church of Cheater, Sept. 2S, 1803, and a Charge delivered to the
Clergy of the Archdeaconry of Stow, at the Visitation in May, 1820. {Memoir
of H. F. Bayley, by Le Bas.)

Albert Bridge was opened for foot passengers, August 10 ; and opened for
general traffic, September 26. A procession of the corporate bodies of Man-
chester and Salford took place at the inauguration. The total cost of the
erection was £8.874 los. 5d.

Mr. James Wroe, bookseller. Great Ancoats Street, and for many years a
commissioner of police, &c., for this town, died August. (Procter^s Bygone
Manchester, pp. 83, 84.)

Professor Justus von Liebig, one of the most distinguished chemists in
Europe, visited Manchester in September.

John Carter, the *' Lancashire Hero,** died in Tame Street, Ancoats. Ho
was bom at Manchester, Sept 13, 1789, and after working in a factory turned
shoemaker and then navvy. He acquired renown as a pedestrian and pugilint,
and went up to London, where Robert Gregson, the Lancashire poet-pugiliMt,
introduced him to the fancy. He was champion of England for some time,
defeated Oliver in 1816, and vras defeated by Spring in 1810. (Procter's Our
Turf, &c., p. 83.)

The Athenaeum soiree held in the Free Trade Hnll, Octolier 3. I'pwanis of
3,000 persons attended. The chief speakers were Mr. B. Disraeli, Ml\, Lord
John Manners, BiLP., and the Hon. Gooi^ Sydney Smythe, M.P.

The Custom House, No. 73, Mosley Street, was opened for business,
October 11. Mr. Powell, of Newcastle, appointed collector, and Mr. Shelly, of
Liverpool, comptroller.



Digitized byVnOOQlC



230 Annals of Manchester. dM^

Mr. Joseph Aston died at Chadderton Hall, October 13, aged 83. He was
formerly proprietor of the Manchester Exchange Beraldf and was the author
of several works of a local nature, including the Picture of Manchester (which
went through several editions). Metrical Records of Manchester^ and many
smaller contributions to the history of the town and neighbourhood.

A large chimney belonging to Messrs. Tennants, Clow and Ca*8 chemical
works, at Ardwick, fell down, November 2. The damage was £1,000.

Mr. Holland Hoole died at Broughton, Dec 3. He was the author of a
Defence of the Cotton Factories of Lancashire^ 1832. He was bom in Man-
chester Blarch 9, 1796. (Manchester School Register^ i. 8.)

A peal of eight beUs in St. Thomas's Church, Pendleton, opened Dec 6.
They were cast by Charles and George MeaiB, London, and the cost was defrayed
by subscription.

Mr. B. J. J. Norreys, one of the magistrates for this division, and also a
deputy-lieutenant of the county, died at Davyhulme Hall, December 13, aged 60.

Sir Henry Pottinger visited Manchester, December 30, and attended a public
dinner, at which he received congratulatory addresses upon the successful
termination of the Chinese war.

St. Bamabas*s Parish Church, situated at the comer of Elizabeth Street
and Rodney Street, Oldham Road, was consecrated. This church was erected
at an expense of about £5,000, which was raised by subscription.

The Phonographic Magcuine was published in Manchester. The editor
was William Hepworth Dixon.

A large pUe of buildings in George Street and York Street^ consisting of
ten warehouses, was completely burnt down, causing a destruction of
property amounting to £140,000.

A portion of the warehouse of Messrs. Horton and Co., called the Shrop-
shire Iron Warehouse, fell down, when two men were killed.

The amount of duty derived from the income tax in the Manchester district
was £125,309.

1845.

Mr. Louis Schwabe, the eminent silk manufacturer and embroiderer by
machinery, died January 11. Mr. Schwabe destroyed himself by poison whilst
labouring under temporary insanity.

The subscription raised in Manchester as a testimonial to Mr. Rowland
HUl, for his advocacy of the penny postage, amounted to £1.532 10s. 6d., and
was presented to Mr. Hill (who was staying at Hastings) by Sir Thomas Potter,
together with a suitable address. January la

Evan Prince, a young man in the employ of Mr. Percival, woollen draper.
King Street, was charged with robbing his employer of £3,500. He was
committed, January 20, and afterwards found guilty and transported.

McMfs. Smith and Ingle's paper warehouse, situated in Piccadilly, was
burnt down, January 21.

A public dinner was given to Mr. Duncan Gibb, together with a service of
plate valued at £oOO, January 24, as a testimony of his fellow-townsmen*sobliga*
tion for the benefits conferred in the privilege of bonding being granted to
Manchester.



Digitized by



GooqIc



^^ Armals of Mcmeheeter. 231

An ezploeion of a loeomotire boiler at the Manchester and Leeds Railway
engine-honse, Miles Flatting, January 28, caused the death of three men, and
did considerable damage to the building. The ooroner^s Jury laid a deodand of
£600 on tiie engine.

An attempt was made by some person to bnm down the Qaeen's Theatre,
in Spring Gardens, Febroary 0, bat it was fmstrated through the timely
disoorery of the fire.

Mr. Van Ambnigh's stud of trained animals, horses, ftc., were sold by
auction, at the Roman Amphitheatre, Cooper Street, March 1&

The Right Rev. John Allen, D.D., Rishop of Ely, died at the Palace, in Ely,
March 20, in his 76th year. Rom November, 1770, Dr. Allen was a native of
Manchester, his father being a partner in the firm of Ryrom, Allen, Sedgwick,
and Place, bankers. The bank was situated at the comer of Rank Street and
St. Ann's Square. He was educated at the Free Grammar School, whence he
proceeded to Trinity College, Cambridge, and obtained a fellowship there. He
•was soon afterwards appointed tutor to Lord Althorp, and was, shortly after
the completion of his lordship's education, presented by the father of his pupil
to the vicarage of Rattersea, Surrey, and also a prebendal stall in Westminster
Abbey ; he was afterwards, in addition, appointed to the living of St. Rride*s,
•London. On the advent of the Whigs to office. Dr. Allen, on the death of
Bishop Gray, in 1834, was nominated to the bishopric of Rristol. In October,
1890^ this bishopric being united to that of Gloucester, Dr. Monk, the bishop of
the last-mentioned diocese, became bishop of the united diocese, while Dr*
Allen was translated to the bishopric of Ely.

Sir Thomas Potter, Knt., of Ruile Hill, died March 20, aged 70. He was
bom at Tadcaster, in Yorkshire, 'April 6, 1774. He was the third son of Mr.
John Potter, who rented a farm near Tadcaster, called Wengate HilL Thomas,
when about sixteen, began to assist his father in the management of the farm ;
. and when, after a few years, the farm was given up to him, it became one of
the most highly cultivated and productive in the county of York. In or about
the year 1803 he gave up farming and Joined his two brothers, William and
Richard, who had previously settled in Manchester, and the three carried on
business in partnership under the firm of William, Thomas, and Richard
Potter, at Na 5, Cannon Street. About the year 1828 Mr. Potter began to take
a very active part in the business of the town. After the passing of the Reforan
Bill in 1832, and the return of his brother, Mr. Richard Potter, for the borough
of Wigan, which oocssioned his absence from Manchester, Mr. Potter began to
take not only an active but leading part in the local and general politics of the
town and neighbourhood. It was, however, in the struggle for obtaining the
charter of incorporation that Mr. Potter moet distinguished himself. In that
most arduous struggle his courage, energy, and industry, were taxed to the
uttermost, and had it not been for his unparalleled exertions the charter must
have been abandoned. As an acknowledgment of his services in this respect
he was not only elected first mayor of Manchester, but his term of office was
extended, during which^namely, on July 1, 1840~HerBC^}esty conferred upon
him the honour of knighthood. In his domestic relations he was a kind f^her,
a good husband, a hospitable snd amiable neighbour. Charitable and munificent
to a fault, there were many who felt his loss as a severe deprivation. About



Digitized byVnOOQlC



232 Annals of Manchester. isib

1820 Mr. Potter, At his own expense, established a day school at Irlams-o*th*-
Height, which afforded education to seventy boys and Rirls. It was not the
wish of the family to have a public funeral, but at the request of the Corpora-
tions of Manchester and Saiford, as well as a number of gentlemen of the two
towns, who wished to accompany the remains to the grave, the desire was
acceded to. The funeral eartSgcy which was considerably augmented on its
route by the corporate bodies of both towns, together with some hundreds of
gentlemen in carriages and on foot, consisted of upwards of ninety carriages.
Most of the shops in the line of procession were closed, and the streets were
lined throughout by crowds of people, all anxious to take a last look of one who
had stood their friend on all public occasions. The interment took place at the
Ardwick Cemetery, March 27. (Baker's MemaritUs, p. 117.)

The first stone was laid of St. Simon's Church, Springfield Lane, Saiford,
Blarch 24. The building, which is of stone, is in the Early English style of
architecture, and was designed by Mr. Richard Lane. The cost of the land and
erection was £4,500. The stone was laid by Mr. Edmund Taylor, of Oldfield
Boad, who contributed £500 towards the expense.

The Town Council decided to purchase the manorial rights from Sir Oswald
Mosley for the sum of £200,000, of which £5,000 was to be paid down as a
deposit, and the Corporation was not to be compelled to pay more than £4,000
a year, but with an option on their part to increase that amount to £6,OO0L
The amount of income derived by Sir Oswald Mosley was stated by him to be
£9,000. Various negotiations had been set on foot at different periods to pur*
chase the above important rights, but in every instance had failed through
disagreement as to terms between buyer and seller. March 24.

The first sale of teas, &c, in bond took place in the Bonding Warehouse
Company's establishment, in Saiford, March 27.

The foundation stone of St. John's Church, Longsight, was laid by Miss
Marshall, who, together with Mrs. Marshall, contributed £2,000 towards the
erection and endowment. The church is in the Early English style, from the
design of Mr. G. E. Gregan, and the total cost of the edifice was about £3,600.
March 2a

The committee for the formation of public parks in Manchester purchased
the Lark Uill EsUte, now Peel Park, SaUoid, March 20, from Mr. William
Gamett, for the sum of £5,000, from which was deducted £500, the amount of
Mr. Gamett's subscription to the fund. It contained thirty-two acres, one-third
being high and sloping land and the rest flat. In May they made the second
purchase— the Hendham Hall Estate (now Queen s Park), Harpurhcy, consisting
of about thirty acres, the property of Mr. Jonathan Andrew, for which they
paid £7,250 ; and in the same month they made the third purchase^the Brad*
ford Estate (now Philip's Park), consisting of thirty-one acres, from Lady
Houghton, for the sum of £6,200.

Mr. Benjamin Braidley died April 3. He was bom at Sedgfleld, Durham,
AugUAt 10, 1792. He wrote Sundaif School Memorials^ from his experiences as
teacher and superintendent of Bennett Street Sunday ^hools. He was
boroughreeve in 1831 and 1832, and in 1835 twice unsuccessfully contested Man*
che8ter in the Conservative interest.

Mr. Junius Smith, of Stran^scwars Hall, died April X



Digitized byVnOOQlC



1MB] Annals of Manchester. 233

The first of a aeries of concerts for the working classes, conducted by the
committee of the Lancashire and Cheshire Fhilharmobic Institution, was held
in the Free Trade Hall, April 5.

John Bracewell, of Young Street, died September 17, aged 88. He was
supposed to be the last survivor of those who were in the action along with
Admiral Rodney, at the destruction of the French fleet under the command of
Comte de Grasse, in the West Indes, on April 12, 1782.

A grand fancy dress ball, in aid of the funds for the formation of public ^
baths and wash-houses in Manchester, was held in the Free Trade Hall. The
display was very picturesque and made a great impression. April 29.

Mr. Thomas Wroe, formerly comptroller under the Manchester Police
Commissioners, and subsequently manager of the gas works, died in ApriL

Messrs. Ereleigh and Son*s hat manufactory, Greengate, Salfbrd, was
burned down, May 1. The damage was between £8,000 and £10,000.
. The Mayor and Corporation of Salford made a perambulation of the boun- ^
daries of the borough, and staked them out from the new Ordnance survey,
Biayia

The foundation stone of the Manchester Commercial Schools, Stretford
Road, was laid by Mr. J G. Harter, June 19.

Mr. Thomas Rose, superintendent of the Fire Brigade, exhibited a new fire
escape, the invention of Mr. Dunn, in the Market Place, om>osite the Exchange,
June 24, and again July 8.

Mr. Henry Leigh Traflbrd commenced his duties as stipendiary magistrate
for the Manchester division of the county, at a salary of £800 per annum,
JulyL

John HoU Stanway, who was one of the oflldal assignees of the Bankruptcy
Court, absconded with a considerable sum of money, the property of various
individuals, July 4.

A public breakfast given to Professor J. H. Merle I^Aubign^ D.D., author
of the History of the Reformation, July 7.

Mr. Samuel William BuUer died July 17, aged 41. He was a native of
Beverley, and almost from infancy was an actor. He acted at Hull and
Beverley, at the Covent Garden Theatre, and in the United States; but in the
latter years of his life was resident in Manchester, and in 1812 was the star of
the Theatre Royal, Fountain Street. He is buried at Ardwick Cemetery, and
an epitaph, by Charles Swain, is engraved upon his tomb. (Evans*s Samuel
Wiiliam Butler, Trc^^ian^ 1870.)

8 and Victoria, cap. 141. Act to elTect improvements in the borough of «
BCanchester, for the purpose of promoting the health of the Inhabitants thereof.
July 21.

8 and 9 Victoria. Act for more effectually constituting and regulating the^
Court of Record within the borough of Manchester, and for extending the"
Jurisdiction of the said court. July 21.

Mr. Richard Beswick, chief superintendent of police, presented with a
service of plate and a purse containing £113, as a testimonial for his services in
the police establishment for fourteen years, July 3L

Mr. Hugh Hornby Birley, of Broome House, a magistrate and deput>
lieutenant of the county, died at Lytham, July 31, aged 68. Mr. Birley had for



Digitized by LnOOQlC



234r Arvnala of Mcmcheeter.



(18»



many jMn taken a very aetlTe part in the management of the Tariona
charitable inatitationa of thla town and neighbourhood.

The first atone of the Bank of England Branch Bank, King Street, waa laid
by Mr. Charles Cockerill, the architect of the Bank of England, and Mr. John
Beid, the agent of the bank in Manchester, Jnly 31.

The Manchester and Leeds Bailway Company (since incorporated in the
Lancashire and Yorkshire) b^^an to arch over the river Irk below the College,
to the length of 120 yards, for the purpose of erecting their general oflloea. Jnly.

A subscription, amounting to upwarda of £0,000, waa raised in Manchester
in aid of the suiTerers by the great fire at Quebec July.

A rope, measuring 4,S74 yards, or nearly two milea and a half, waa made by
Mr. Thomaa Briggs, of Blchmond Hill Bopery, for Messrs. 6. C. FauUng and
Co., in connection with the works of the new Theatre BoyaL July.

Abraham Tweedale, a prisoner in the New Bailey, waa murdered hy Wnu
Clapham, also a prisoner, August 2. On the trial Qapham waa proved to b»
insane, and waa ordered to be confined during Her Mjt^wtf^ pleasure.

The premises of Mr. Thoa. Wheatley, cabinet-maker and timber merchant^
Pilling Street, Bochdale Boad, were burned down, August 5. The damage waa
estimated to be from £3,000 to £4,000.

The foundation stone of Trinity Presbyterian Church, in connection with
the Synod of the Presbyterian Church of England, and for the use of the Irish
Presbyterian Church assembling in the Com Exchange, waa laid by the Bar.
Henry Cooke, D.D., of Belfaat, August 13. The church is situated in New
Bridge Street, Strangeways.

The construction of Corporation Street, extending from Market Street to
Withy Grore, waa begun in August.

At a dinner giren by the shareholders of the Trent Valler Bailway to Mr.
Edward Tootal, September 20, he waa p r e s e nted with a service of plate, valued
at 1,800 guineas, for his services in procuring the Act for the formation of that
line. The service consisted of 117 pieces, weighing 2,000 ounces.

The new Theatre Boyal, Peter Street, was opened September 20^ with
DoDglas Jerrold*s new comedy of Time Works Wonders^ and a representation
of Her Majesty's state ball, or Bal Cosiutni^ held at Buckingham Palace. The
opening address, which waa written by Mr. Mark Barry, of London, wa»
delivered by Mr. H. J. Wallack, the stage manager. The building holdF
upwards of 2,000 persons. It is in the modem Italian style of arehitecture, and
cost nearly £23,000. The proprietor was Mr. John Knowles.

The Anti-Com-Law Basaar, held in the Free Trade Hall, began October 15,
and continued for several days. The artidea sold were the remalna of the
great basaar held in London, at Covent Garden Theatre. The proceeds were
devoted to the £100,000 fund.

This town was visited by Prince Hllal, son and heir of the Imaum of
Muscat, who waa accompanied by his suite, October 17.

A soiree was held at the Free Trade Hall of the members of the
Athensum, which waa attended by Serjeant Talfourd, Doo^aa Jerrold, Mr.
Samuel Lover, and othera. October 23.

Rev. William Johns died at Higher Broughtoii, November 27. He was bom
in 1771, and waa the author oi Um amd Origin of FigmrcUive Lamgmage^



Digitized by



Google



184S]



Armals of Manchester. 235



March, 1806; Impartanee of the Seripturea, 1813; Origin of Verbs, 1833; and
others.

St. Clement's Schools, Chorltoiit rebuilt.

The CommerciAl Association was formed*

1846.

Mr. Alexander Wilson died Jannarj 6» aged 43. He was the son of Michael
Wilson, and was an animal painter and author of some of the verses that
appeared in The Songe of the WiUone, (Harland*s Songe of the Wilsone.)

A great meeting of the merchants, bankers, and manufacturers was held
to consider the best means of furthering the purpose of the Anti-Corn Law
League. A committee of gentlemen appointed to raise the remainder of the
quarter of a million fund by personal canvass in Manchester. January 0.

The Maneheeter Examiner, Na 1, January 10, was printed and published
by Mr. Thomas Ballantyne, at No. 7, Pall Mall.

The first annual meeting of the Manchester Commercial Association was
held in York Hotel Buildings, Sling Street, when Mr. James Asplnall Turner,
the president, occupied the chair. January 18.

Mr. Jeremy Smith, the oldest block printer in the trade, died January 20,
aged 09, highly respected, and retaining his mental faculties to the last
moment.

A numerous meeting of delegates from the Short Time Committee of Lan-



Online LibraryWilliam E. A. (William Edward Armytage) AxonThe annals of Manchester: a chronological record from the earliest time to the end of 1885 → online text (page 31 of 63)