William E. A. (William Edward Armytage) Axon.

The annals of Manchester: a chronological record from the earliest time to the end of 1885 online

. (page 34 of 63)
Online LibraryWilliam E. A. (William Edward Armytage) AxonThe annals of Manchester: a chronological record from the earliest time to the end of 1885 → online text (page 34 of 63)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Samuel Pope (afterwards Q.C.). The contributors included Alexander Somer-
ville, Edwin Waugh« J. C. Prince, and others. {City Newe Note$ and Queries,
vol. i., p. 201).

The Revds. James Everett, Samuel Dunn, and William Griffiths were
expelled from the Wesleyan Connexion by the Conference then sitting in
Oldham Street Chapel. August.

A meeting convened by the Biayor was held In the Town Hall to condemn
the Interference of the Russian and French Governments in the aflkirs of
Hungary and Rome. August 9.

Tbe foundation stone of a new Wesleyan school, in connection with
Ebenezer Chapel, Red Bank, was laid by Mr. Francis Pamell. August lOL

Tbe Rev. James Bardsley appointed to Sie incumbency of the new St.
Philip's Church, Bradford Road, by the trustee^ August 13.

Colonel Walters arrived in town commissioned to undertake the oommaDd
of the Royal Engineers In the Manchester district, August 21.

Rev. Samuel Wood, B.A., Unitarian minister, died at T/ffn^ftP, August 23.



Digitized byVnOOQlC



ISM) Annats of Manchester. 251



He was bom %t Blanchester, Jannary 1, 1797. He was the author of Prayers
for Sunday SehooU, etc.; Bible Stories^ 1831; Scripture Geography; The
Convent and the RaUway ; a Sermon^ 1845. {ChrieHan Reformer^ November,
1849.)

The Bev. William Shelmerdine died, August 30, aged 90. He had been
for sixty years a preacher of the Gospel In oonnection with the Wesleyan
Methodists.

The f oondation stone of the Temperance Hall, Chorlton-npon-Medlock, was
laid by Mr. Willism Morris, September 1.

A dreadful thunderstorm occurred in Mft^fhiwt^r and the neighbourhood,
September 1.

The Episcopal Chapel in Heathfleld, Greenheys, put up for sale by auction,
by Mr. George Robins, of London, at £3,000, but there was not a single bid in
adTsnce, and the sale could not be effected. September 4.

John Richardson, of Ardwick, was killed by being stabbed with two pieces
of red-hot iron by a blacksmith named Lee, September 6.

The foundation stone of the Presbyterian Church and Schools, Grosrenor
Square, was laid September 12.

In accordance with the plan laid down by the Vioe-Clianoellor of England,
in Us decree of January 10, new trustees of the Manchester Grammar School
were selected from persona residing in the town of Manchester. The following
gentlemen were the members of the new trust: Sir Elkanah Armitage,
Messrs. John Mayson, E. R Langworthy, R N. Philips, Robert Barbour,
Thomas Hunter, W. B. Watkins, Oliver Heywood, C. H. Bickards, Thomas
Armstrong. John Peel, and J. C. Barter. September.

Mr. W. C. Mftcready made his farewell appearance at the Theatre Boyal in
the character of Hamlet on October 9. He delivered a farewell address, which
was interrupted by frequent applause. On the day preceding, an address was
presented to him by the Bianchester Shaksperean Society. His father was
lessee 1806-0. When Macready had made his name as an actor he performed in
the town in 1823, 1824, 1828, 1830, 1833^, 1845-49. There are many references to
the town in his Reminieeeneee.

Mr. John Brooks died at hU residence, Claiendon House, Cheetham Hill,
Oct. 27. He was the son of Mr. Wm. Brooks, of the firm of Cunliffe and Brooks,
bankers, and brother of Mr. Samuel Brooks, of Whalley House, Bianchester,
the successor of their father in the bank. He was bom at Whalley in 1780^ and
began business as a calico printer in 1809, in partnership with Mr. Butterworth
Mr. Brooks's experience gave him an advantage in the discussion of commercial
politics over men more practised in eloquence— as, for instance, his examination
of Lord Stanley, at Lancaster, in 1841, silenced Ids lordship on mercantile
statistics for several years after. His mode of speaking, and embodying his
speeches with facts, was original and forcible, and strikingly characteristic of
the blunt plainness and truthfulness of the man. He was one of the earliest
and most zealous members of the Council of the Anti-Com-Law League, and
till its dissolution continued to be one of the hardest workers. In May, 1818,
being impaired in health, by the unresting strain upon his physical and mental
energies, he went for change to the United States, but returned without
deriving permanent benefit. He was not only liberal with his purse and his



Digitized byVnOOQlC



252 Awnala of MoTicheder.



rum



penoDAl seryioes for fayonrite politleal measures and men, bat tolerant of other
men's opinionB. He was remarkably generous to his dependents. On one
occasion. Information reached him that he had lost the sun of £70,000, lent to a
person who seemed to have large property, and who assured him it was unin-
cumbered. It turned out that the property was mortgaged to its full amount
when the assurance was made. Mr. Brooks went to his warehouse chagrined,
and told his manager that he had been so deceived that he was resolved to
cease to lend money— to stop his charitiea— and spend nothing. While he was
yet speaking, a woman with some ragged children were observed in the passage.
Apparently unconscious of what he had said, he ordered a shilling to be given.
The derk reminded him of his resolution. '* Well, weU," said he, ** but don't
begin with this woman and her children." He never did begin such a change
Death only closed the charities of a life that was as benevolent as it was manly '
and upright.

Mr. John Isherwood died, October 20. He was possessed of a pure bass
voice of rare compass, a refined taste, and correct Judgment, and lacked
nothing but the necessary practice to place him in the highest rank of vocalists.
He was among the best glee singers of his day, and for many years devoted
himself gratuitously to tho services of the Choral Society and Glee Club of this
town.

Mr. Benjamin Bawlinson Faulkner died in London. He was bom at Man*
cheater in 1787, where he was a portrait painter, and exhibited at the Boyal
Academy.

Harriet Martlneau visited Ifanchester, and was the guest of Mr. S. D.
Darbishire. {AtUobiographyt "^oL iii., p. 864.)

1850.

A lady, named Novelli, residinginHigherBroughton, was murdered by her
brother-in-law, Mr. A. Novelli, who was insane, and who afterwards hung
himself from the bed-post January 80.

A meeting of the Financial and Parliamentary Reform Association was
held in the Free Trade Hall, January 20^ under tho presidency of Mr. G.
Wilson.

A hurricane of a more destructive nature than any known in England for
many years visited this neighbourhood, February fi»

A fire at All Saints' Church, Oxford Boad, destroyed the greater part of tho
structure, February 6. The fire arose from the burning of Christmas decorations
in the stove. Some embers lodging in the flue are thought to have set fire to
the wooden workplate. The damage caused was between £3,000 and £4,000.
An engraving of the disaster is given in the Illustrated London News, Febm-
ary lA. The church was reopened September 20.

Temperance Exporter and Journal of Useful LitercUure^ No. 1, February
9. Five or six numbers appeared. The editors were Samuel Pope and Joseph
Johnson. (City News Notes and Queries^ vol. i., p. 201.)

Bateman's Buildings, Deansgate, were destroyed by fire, March 9. The
damage was estimated at £2,00a

The Blanchester I'oor Law Union dissolved March 25. It was replaced by a
Board of Guardians elected annually. The first election was in May*



Digitized by



GooqIc



1800)



Armals of Manchester. 253



Lord John Riuaell and 1^7 BaaaeU ylsited Manchester, April 2. During
their stay of four days they ylslted the principal works, and add r esses were
presented to them by the Corporations of Blanchester and Salford. They were
the guests of Sir Benjamin Heywood, Bart., Claremont.

St. Philip's Church, Bradftyrd, was consecrated by Bishop Lee, Aprils. The
architect was Mr. E. H. SheUaid, and the ooat of erection £4,230. IthaalOOO
sittings.

The Hall of Science, Campfleld, purchased bj Aldennan John Potter (Mayor
of Manchester), for £1,200, for the purpose of a Free Librsry. April.

Mr. Francis Philips died May 0. He was bom at Manchester, September 27,
1771. He was the author of History of Johnny Shuttle and hU Cottage : a Tale
Interesting to the Inhabitants of Manchester, 180O; EoDposure of the CeUuni'
nies against the Magistrates and Yeomanry ^ 1810, ftc. (Oentleman's Maga-
sine, August, I860, p. 217.)

The North of England Tulip and Horticultural Show held in the Com
Exchange, May 28. This is said to have been the first show of the Und held in
Manchester.

The Orion steamship was wrecked on her passage from Liverpool to
Glasgow, when Mr. John Boby, of Bochdale (author of the Traditions ofLan-
eashire), and 40 other persons were lost. A narratiye of this disaster was
published, written by the Bev. Joseph Clarke, M.A., of Stratford, one of the
sarrlTors. June.

A meeting was held in the Town Hall, July 8, for the puipoae of considering
the propriety of a monument in memory of Sir Bobert Peel.

Mr. BeAJamin Stott died at Manchester, July 20. He was bom at Man*
Chester, November 24, 1813, and after being educated at Chatham's College was
apprenticed to a bookbinder, in which trade he worked all his life. He was
author of 8(mgs far the Million (with memoir), Mlddleton, 1813.

Two sermons were preached in St. John's Catholic Church, SaUord, July 28,
by Dr. Wiseman, previous to his setting out for Boma to .xeoeiya a cardinal's
hat from the Pope.

13 and 14 Victoria, cap. 41. Act to authorise the division of the parish of
Manchester in several parishes, and for the i^tpUcaUon of the revenuea of the
Collegiate and Parish Church, and for other purposes. July 20.

Bev. BobinsonElsdale, D.D. (Oxford, 1838), died at Wrington, August 8,
aged 67. Dr. Elsdale was the son of Captain Bobinson Elsdale, the hero and
partly the author of Captain Marryat's Privateersman, Dr. Elsdale was bom
March 28, 1783, and became second master and in 1838, or 1897, head master of
the Bisnchester Free Grammar School, but failing health compelled his retire*
* ment in 1810. In addition to his scholastic work Dr. Elsdale performed that of
a parish priest, having been successively curate of Cheetham Hill and Chorlton,
and from 1810 to his death was incumbent of Stretford. {Manchester School
Register, vol. ill., p. a)

13 and 14 Victoria. Act to enable the Council of the borough of Manchester
to determine their liability to defray the expenses of customs in respect of
goods warehoused in the said borough, and to authorise the Commlnioners of
Her Majesty's Treasury to direct the discontinuance of the further warehousing
of goods in such warehouses without payment of duty. August 14.



Digitized by LnOOQlC



254 Awnala of Manchester. oaso

The seventh meetiug of the Britiah Archsological Association was held in
the Town Hall, August 19, and five following days. Mr.;rames Heywood, M J*^
F.R.S., and F.S JL., presided.

Mr. Charles Ken worthy died July 31. He was bom in Manchester, Sept. 12,
1773, and was a pattern-maker by trade. EUs first poetical fancies were printed
in the Manchester Gazette. In 1806 he published a pamphlet of poetry and
politics, entitled A Peep into the TempU. This was followed by other small
ventores. In 1847 he issued his scattered verses under the title of Original
Poems on Miscellaneous Subjects. He is buried at Rusholme Boad Cemetery,
and on his gravestone is the epitaph, "Here slumbers Sorrow's child." (Proc>
ter*s Reminiscences^ p. 106.)

Mr. A* J. Soott, Professor of English Language in the London University,
was appointed first principal of the Owens College, October 22.

A conference of delegates, from various parts of England, on Seculat
Education, held in the Mechanica' Institution, Cooper Street, October 30.

A public meeting, in connection with Secular Education, was held in the
Com Exchange, Hanging Ditch, October 81.

At a conference of the Lancashire Public School Association, November 1,
the name of the association was changed to the National Public Schods
Association.

The Royal Museum in Peel Park formally opened by the Mayor of Salf ord,
in the presence of Mr. Joseph Brotherton, M.P., and other influential gentle-
men, November 4.

The National Pnblie Schools Aaaodatlon held its first meeting under its
new name, November 4.

At a meeting of the Chamber of Commerce, November 7, it was resolved to
send out Bir. Alexander Mackay on a mission to India, to ascertain the real
obstacles preventing an ample supply of cotton from that country.

The Protestant inhabitants of Manchester held a meeting in the Free Trade
Hall, November 21, to consider what steps should be taken in regaid to the
territorial designations adopted by the Roman Catholic prelates. The action of
the Papacy was denounced as an unwarrantable aggression, and the Ecdeai.
astical Titles Bill was passed in hot haste.

The Church Reform Association dissolved November 24. It was formed
March 12, 1817.

Mr. Thomas Wilson died at Woodhouses, November, aged 02. He was a silk
weaver kit Middleton, who engaged in discussion with Richard Carlile and other
Freethinkers. Wilson was a Swedenborgian, and shortly before his death gave
a series of theological lectures in Hulme, which have been printed* {The
i>aim, July 17, 1884.)

The extension of the Manchester Exchange was completed in November.
The cost was £80^000.

Bir. William Sturgeon died Dec 8. He was bom in 1783, at Lancaster
where his father was an idle shoemaker. At one time he was an artilleryman,
and a terrific thunderstorm turned his curiosity in the direction of electrical
science, and his discoveries were of great importance. He was "without doubt
the originator of the electro-magnet.** He eame to Manchester in 1838 to super-
intend the Victoria Gallery of Practical Science, which failed. Throughout hia



Digitized by



Google



IWl}



Annals of Mancluster, 265



life, labour and poverty were his lot, and at last a Goyemment pension of £50
was granted to him, bat he only ei^oyed it for a year and a quarter. He founded
and conducted the AnnaXs of JSUetricity^ in ten Tolumes. In 1849 his
•dentiilc papers were oolleeted in a large quarto Tolnine. (Smith's Centenary,
p. 900.) •

The Hon. Abbott Lawrence, United States Minister, Tisited Manchester,
December lOu

A ball in aid of the Salford and Pendleton Dispensary realised £701

The Manchester Borough Gaol, in Hyde Boad, was completed.

Springfield Lane Bridge was builti

A fire occurred at Messrs. Westhead and Co.'s, Piccadilly. A fireman was
killed, and another died shortly afterwards, from the iojuries he received. The
damage was estimated at £90^000.

The private carriages in Manchester and Salford numbered 1,000, drawn by
1,300 horses. There were 64 omnibuses, drawn by 387 horses; 074 horses for
riding, and 2,108 draught horses ; 187 hackney coaches and cabs, drawn by 408
horses— making a total of 1,200 public and private vehicles, drawn by 3,877
hones.

A Chartist meeting was held in the People's Institute, at which it was
resolved to adopt a proposal of 0*Conor^s for a conference to be held in this city
on New Yearns Day following. This suggestion had been opposed by Mi;
Ernest Jones, who lectured frequently in Manchester at this time.

1851.

A meeting was held in the Mechanics' Institution, January 2, to consider
the subject of co operation and associative labour. The Bev. T. G. Lee pre*
sided, and the Bev. F. T. Maurice, Mr. Thomas Hughes, Mr. Lloyd Jones, and
others addressed the gathering.

The model statuettes sent in competition for the monument to Sir Bobert
Peel were exhibited in' the Boyal Institution, January 3.

The mill of Messrs. Wallace, Watchurst, and Thompson, in Chepstow
SUeet, was destroyed by fire, January 10. The damage was about £30,000.

Canon Stowell delivered a lecture on the Papal Aggression, in the f^ee
Trade Hall, January 10.

Two floors fell in the warehouse of Messrs. Ormrod and Hardcastle, in
Pall Mall, January 20, and caused serious damage.

The Oddfellows' Secular School in Faulkner Street was established, Jan. 20.

Mr. Bobert Thorpe, surgeon to the Manchester Infirmary, died January 21,
aged 88. He was a son of J. Thorpe, surgeon.

Mr. J. S. Heron, late secretary to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bailway,
died January 26. (

The Chartist Conference was held January 26^ but only four localities were
represented.

Sir Henry B. Bishop gave two lectures on music, in the large room of the
Town Hall, February 11 and 13.

A boiler explosion occurred on the premises of Mr. CL Hunt, Miller's Lane,
Greengate, Salford, February 20.

A public meeting of working men was held in the Free Library (late Hall



Digitized by LnOOQlC



256 Armals of Momchester. dan

of Sdence), Gampfleld, Febmary 20^ for the pnrpoae of hearing an explanation
of the origin and ptogreas of the institution, &c

A fox was canght in a lane adjoining Peel Park, Salford, Febmary 27,
tiaving been hunted by men and dogs oat of the park.

Dr. B. G. Tiatbam commenced a coarse of lectares at the Royal Inytitation
on " The Ethnology of the British Colonies and Dependendes.** February 2BL
About 280 of the seamen who were " on strike" at Liverpool visited this
town, March 6.

The Owens College was opened March 12. It was founded, in accordance
with the will of Mr. John Owens, for the education of young persons of the male
sex in such branches of learning and science as were then and may be hereafter
usually taoght in the English Universities. The first principal was Mr. A. J.
Scott, and the first home of the college was in a house at the Junction of Quay
Street and Byrom Street. «

A boiler explosion occurred at the steam sawmills of Mr. Thomas William-
son, in Riga Street, March 25. Nine persons were killed. The coroner's Jury
letumed a verdict of manslaught4*T against the owner and his engineer, Thomaa
Sgerton, April 10.

Mr. W. B. Carpenter, M.D., commenced a course of lectures in the Royal
Institution on *' Bficroscopic Research." March 28.

According to the return of the Parliamentary census, issued March SI, the
borough of Manchester contained 303,358 inhabitants. By the same return
there were 68,007 houses, and the annual value of property was given at
£1,204,241.

At the Chartist CoAventlon, which met 81st March, in London, Manchest^
was represented by Mr. Feargns O'Conor, M.P., and Mr. 6. J. Mantle.

Samuel (** Sam") Butter died, April 12, at his birthplace. Bank Top, in the
2Bth year of his age. He was a pugilist, of whom BelT^ Xi/e remarked : "Sam
has fought twenty battles in the P.R, and never lost the battle money." He
is buried in Rusholme Road Cemeteiy. (Procter^s Our 2Vr/, ftc, p. 71.)

A great meeting in the Free Trade Hall was held on Parliamentary Reform,
April 10. Mr. 6. Wilson presided.

Captain James West, of the Awiari<»^« steamship Atlantic, was enter-
tained at dinner at the Albion Hotel, April 10.

Greenheys United Presbyterian School was opened April 20.

Mr. George Dawson, M.A., of Birmingham, delivered the first of a course
of lectures at the Mechanics* Institution on '*The Mythology of Nations."
AprU25.

The Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Bury New Road, Strangeways, was
opened April 20.

The foundation stone of St. Paul's Church, Kersal Moor, was laid by
Colonel Clowes, April 28.

A meeting was held in the Town Hall, EJng Street, April 30, for the par-
pose of advocating a half -holiday for milliners and dressmakers. The bishop
presided.

The Diocesan Church Building Society was instituted May 1.

Mr. Uenry Day died May 1. He was a surgeon, and took a warm interest
In the Marhsnics * Institute, of which he was a director and honorary secretary.



Digitized by LnOOQlC



isai]



Annals of Manchester. 237



14 Victoria, cap. 10. Act for relief to the several townships in the parish of
Manchester from the repair of highways not situate witliin sach townships
respectively. May 20.

The Manchester Jews' School, Cheetham Hill Road, Inaugarated Biay 22.

The foundation stone was laid of a Baptist Chapel in Great George Street,
Salford, May 29.

Mr. George Viney died, liay. He was bom in Brownlow Street, Drury Lane,
London, in 1774, and after an adventurous life as a saUor, he settled in Man-
chester, where he died, an earnest member of the congregation of Rev. William
Gadsby, whose Calvinistic doctrines he had adopted in their extremest form.
He saw the famous sinking of the French ship ** Vengeur.** Previous to the
building of the Salford Dinpensary, Viney practised medicine, for which he had
no doubt that his seafaring life and carpenter's trade had excellently prepared
him. The story of his career is told in autobiographical form in The Sailer^ the
Sinner , the Saint: The Utotable and Eventful Life of Oeorge Viney, late of
Mancheeier (London, 1853). This was edited from his papers by John Bosworth.
He is buried in Irwell Street Chapel graveyard.

14 Victoria, cap. 41. Act to continue the term of the Act of the sixth year
of George IV., cap. 51 (local), so far as relates to the turnpike road between
Manchester and Audenshaw, in the parish of Ashton-under-Lyne, and to make
better provision for the repair of the road, and for other purposes. June 5.

The fotmdation stone of St. Mark's Church, City Road, Hulme, was laid»
June 16, by Mr. John Sharp. The consecration took place on Ascension Day,
May 10, 1852. The architect was Mr. K H. Shellard, of Manchester. The
ecclesiastical district of St. Mark's was formed in 1810 under " Feel's Act.'*
The church was the first erected after the passing of the Ifanchester Rectory
Division Act,

A storm of thunder and lightning visited the neighbourhood June 22.

Charlotte Bronte paid a two-days* visit to Manchester at the end of June,
staying with Mr. Gaskell. (See under date April, 1863.)

A meeting was held in the Town Hall, July 17, to memorialise the Forei(?n
Secretary for the exertion of his infiuence for the lil)eration of Kossuth.

14 and 15 Victoria, cap. 79. Act for the further amendment of the Acta
relating to the M&nchestcr Corporation Waterworks. July 24.

Cardinal Wiseman consecrated two Roman Catholic bishops In St. John's,
Salford, July 2S. The bishops elect were Rev. Dr. Turner, St. Augustine's, and
Rev. Dr. Errington, St. John's, Salford.

The Teetotaller, edited by Joseph Johnson. The price of tUs monthly was
cue halfpenny, but it came to an end In July, when nearly forty pounds had
been lost by the venture. {City News Notes and Queries, vol. L, p. 202.)

14 and 15 Victoria, cap. 119. Act for paving, lighting, cleansing, and other-
wise Improving the several townships and places in the borough of Man-
chester, and amending and consolidating the provisions of existing local Acts
relating thereto. August 1.

Thunderstorms, aooompanled by heavy showers of rain, visited this neigh-
bourhood, August 6.

Mr. Joseph Adahead's plan of Manchester, showing the municipal divlalona,
in 24 maps, was completed. August 9.
B



Digitized byVnOOQlC



268 AwMds of MaTtcheder.



a*si



Mr. John Blllott Drinkwatcr Bethnne died ftt Calcutta, Aoffast 12. He was
eldest eon of Colonel John Drinkwater Bethnne, and was horn 12th July, 1801,
and educated at Cambridge. He was called to the bar, and in 1848 was
appointed fourth ordinary member of the Supreme Council of India. This
office he retained until his death. His greatest achievement in India was the
establishment of a school in European hands for native females of the higher
classes. He was author of The Maid of OrUana, translated from Schiller, 8to,
1836 ; and Speeimena of Swedish and Oerman Poetry TrandcUed.

A soiree of the friends of the Manchester and Salf ord Boroughs Educational
Bill, in the Town Hall, August 28w

Fifty-two Sardinian workmen visited Manchester, September 14, 15, and 16.

Presentation of a service of plate of the value of 1,000 guineas to Mr. John
Potter, Mayor of Manchester. September 22.

A deputation of the National Parliamentary and Financial Reform Asso-
ciation held a meeting in the Free Trade Hall, September 27.

The inaugural address of Mr. A. J. Scott, as Principal of Owens College,
was delivered in the large room of the Town Hall, October 3.

The Liverpool and Manchester Agricultural Society held their show at
Manchester, October 8.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visited Manchester, October 10. The
Royal party stayed at Worsley New Hall, where they arrived October 9. In her
disry for that date the Queen says : " From one o'clock in the morning Albert
was very unwell— very sick and wretched— and I was terrified for our Man-
chester visit» Thank God I by eight o'clock he felt much better, and was able
to get up. • • • At ten we started for Manchester. The day was fine and



Online LibraryWilliam E. A. (William Edward Armytage) AxonThe annals of Manchester: a chronological record from the earliest time to the end of 1885 → online text (page 34 of 63)