William Frederick Howat.

A standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 1) online

. (page 15 of 44)
Online LibraryWilliam Frederick HowatA standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and to a large extent concerns those of the cities, that we here present
the details as to the financial status of the different turnpikes in the
various townships :

North Township

1. North Township valuation, including town

and cities $29,860,395.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 1,194,415.80

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road— ing. 1914.

Ruff No. 1 $ 5,550.00 $ 370.00

Ruff No. 2 5,550.00 370.00

Becker, L 14,720.00 920.00

Higgins 4,800.00 300.00

Kennedy 24,000.00 1,500.00

Summers 5,120.00 320.00


Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road — ing. 1914.

Szudzinski $ 3,720.00 $ 620.00

Gavit 10,880.00 680.00

Davidson 1,680.00 280.00

Hilliard 3,000.00 500.00

Cohn 12,010.00 1,720.00

Atchison 6,020.00 860.00

Ottenheimer 3,080.00 440.00

Beaubien 3,360.00 480.00

Spencer 12,600.00 1,800.00

Krost 8,960.00 1.280.00

Millies 10,500.00 1,500.00

Riley 3,780.00 540.00

Van Horn 11,200.00 1,400.00

Parks 2,880.00 360.00

Paskwietz 4,000.00 500.00

Vater 4,800.00 600.00

Schreiber 5,600.00 700.00

Wirth 2,400.00 300.00

Schaaf 12,800.00 1,600.00

Pearson 16,320.00 2,040.00

Jansen 10,800.00 1,350.00

Sutherland 2,880.00 320.00

Gorman 12,600.00 1,400.00

McLaughlin, Ph 37,800.00 4,200.00

Rohde 12,600.00 1,400.00

Meyer 40,500.00 4,500.00

Becker, L. No. 2 9,000.00 1,000.00

Drackert 37,800.00 4,200.00

C. C. Smith 12,600.00 1,400.00

Krooswyck 68,400.00 7,600.00

Humpfer, M 5,400.00 600.00

Jabaay 13,680.00 1,520.00

McLaughlin, F. C 7,920.00 880.00

Schrage 7,200.00 800.00

Hook 6,480.00 720.00

Trinen 1,800.00 200.00

Hess 16,200.00 1,800.00

Gehrke 3,600.00 400.00

Mott 16,200.00 1,800.00



Name of Road — ing.

Potter $ 28,000.00

Duelke 124,000.00


Becker, J. C,


Sheerer ....
Schlieker . .






Weis 24.000.00




Humpfer, Jos.




Hammond . . .












Hanover Township




$ 2,800.00


















11. Hanover Township valuation $1,139,040.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 45,561.60

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

Mandernach $ 23,400.00 $ 1,800.00

Calumet Township

2. Calumet Township valuation including towns

and cities , $23,486,045.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 939,441.80

Bonds Bon 5s

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

Bormann, $ 22,4(X).00 $ 1,400.00

Weil 65,500.00 4.100.00


^ Bonds Bonds

Outstand- ^Maturing

Name of Road — ing. 1914.

Williams $ 10,850.00 $ 1,550.00

Knotts 18,900.00 2,700.00

Rhodes No. 1 21,000.00 3,000.00

Beiriger 2,912.00 208.00

Triplett 1,200.00 300.00

Wildermuth 9,600.00 1,200.00

Knnert 24,000.00 3,000.00

Hirsch 16,000.00 2,000.00

Castleman 11,520.00 1,440.00

Kesler 20,800.00 2,600.00

Englehart No. 1 13,600.00 1,700.00

Englehart No. 2 25,600.00 3,200.00

Englehart No. 3 14,400.00 1,800.00

Brennan No. 1 11,200.00 1,400.00

Brennan No. 2 5,400.00 600.00

Wirth 2,400.00 300.00

Patterson 12,600.00 1,400.00

Shaw 21,600.00 2,400.00

Euler 16,560.00 1,840.00

Kelley 25,200.00 2,800.00

Kirk 18,000.00 2,000.00

Pennington 21,600.00 2,400.00

Keller 14,400.00 1,600.00

Borman, F 23,760.00 2,640.00

Rhodes No. 2 12,600.00 1,400.00

"Wright 52,000.00 5,200.00

Seheidt, F. B 37,600.00 3,760.00

Davis 23,200.00 2,320.00

Rnndell 26,400.00 2,640.00

Maas No. 1 22,400.00 2,240.00

Maas No. 2 21,600.00 2,160.00

Caldwell 28,800.00 2,880.00

Carnduff 10,800.00 1,080.00

Hall 8,000.00 800.00

Renollet 7,500.00 750.00

Holmes 14,000.00 1,400.00

Cole 8,000.00 800.00

AVilliams No. 2 10,000.00 1,000.00

Total $737,002.00 $ 78,008.00


Eoss Township

3. Ross Township valuation $2,071,695.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 82,867.80

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1911

Ross No. 1 $ 21,188.56 $ 3,571.76

Hurlburt 7,560.00 540.00

Phillips 5,180.00 370.00

Krieter 1,500.00 300.00

Halfman 1,920.00 320.00

Peterson 7,350.00 1,050.00

Smith 9,600.00 1,200.00

Triplett 1,527.23 109.10

Nicholson 14,000.00 1,400.00

Total $70,085.79 $ 8,863.86

St. John Township

4. St. John Township valuation including towns. $2,650,715.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 106,028.60

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

Schubert $ 6,714.62 $ 610.42

Stommel 6,414.54 583.14

Sehiessle 5,600.00 400.00

Schaefer 8,400.00 525.00

Keilman 14,700.00 2,100.00

Seholl 4,480.00 560.00

St. John and Center 23,031.25 4,187.50

Beiriger 2,912.00 208.00

Triplett 2,672.77 190.90

Trinen 1,800.00 200.00

Baeke . .' 11,520.00 1,280.00

Total $ 88,245.18 $ 10,844.96


Center Township

5. Center Township valuation including- towns . . . $2,594:,060.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 103,762.40

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

St. John and Center $ 23,031.25 $ 4,187.50

Jenkins 3,547.50 6,450.00

Wheeler 7,485.12 623.76

Sherman 4,550.00 350.00

Bieker 3,500.00 250.00

Lehman 6,300.00 450.00

Meeker 8,100.00 540.00

Hoffman 2,976.00 496.00

Farley 5,950.00 850.00

Card 15,120.00 1,680.00

Randolph 13,500.00 1,350.00

Total .$ 94,059.87 $ 11,422.26

West Creek Township

6. West Creek Township valuation $1,850,795.50

Four per centum limit allowed by law 74,031.80

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

Bailey $30,306.96 $ 2,244.96

Black 16,000.00 2,000.00

Hayden 4,927.23 364.98

Koplin 20,000.00 2,000.00

Total $ 71,234.19 $ 6,609.94


Cedar Creek Township

7. Cedar Creek Township valuation including

towns $1,983,370.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 79,334.80

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 191-4

Hay den $ 4,927.23 $ 364.98

Cedar Creek No. 1 14,262.00 2,377.00

Worley 4,600.00 1,150.00

Brown 10,222.00 730.00

Ebert 10,850.00 1,550.00

Dickey 9,600.00 1,200.00

Strickland 7,560.00 840.00

Driscoll 6,800.00 680.00

Palmer 5,200.00 520.00

Total $ 74,019.23 $ 9.411.98

Eagle Creek Township

8. Eagle Creek Township valuation $1,158,070.00^

Four per centum limit allowed by law 46,322.80

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

Cochran $ 32,000.00 $ 4,000.00

WiNFiELD Township

9. Wintield Township valuation $1,126,195.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 45,047.80

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

Beach $ 5.590.00 $ 430.00

Stewart 16,640 1,280.00

Blakeman 4,080.00 680.00

Batterman 2,040.00 340.00

Fisher 4,000.00 500.00

Total $ 32,350.00 $ 3,230.00

HoBART Township

10. Hobart Township valuation including towns

and cities $3,894,100.00

Four per centum limit allowed by law 155,764.00

Bonds Bonds

Outstand- Maturing

Name of Road ing 1914

Hobart No. 3 $12,021.75 $ 1,849.50

Swanson 36,400.00 2,800.00

County Line 3,951.60 329.30

Kreft 5,280.00 880.00

Smith No. 1 3,240.00 540.00

Smith No. 2 1,920.00 320.00

Smith No. 3 3,000.00 500.00

. Hillman 11,200.00 1,400.00

Roper 4,000.00 500.00

Scheldt, E. C 24,000.00 3,000.00

Morton 15,200.00 1,900.00

Banks 8,280.00 920.00

Harrison 3,960.00 440.00

Barnes 3,200.00 320.00

Total $135,653.35 $ 15,698.80



Early Industry of Calumet Township — Tolleston, the Old Part of
Gary — Wonderful Rise of Gary — Griffith, Grand Railway Cross-
ing — Clarke Station — Ross — The Hornors, David and Amos —
Rev. George A. Woodbridge.

Calumet Township embraces the central districts of the great Calu-
met Region, and before the railroads came was a tract of marshes and
sand ridges, banded east and west by the Grand and the Little Calumet
rivers. It was a wonderful trapping ground for muskrats and a grand
resort for water fowl, and for nearly twenty years after the steam
engines had been claiming the right-of-way throughout the region, Tolles-
ton and vicinity constituted headquarters for perhaps the most success-
ful trapping and shooting in Northern Lake County.

Early Industry of Calumet Township

In the '80s the Tolleston Gun Club was at the height of its fame,
and it is a matter of record that as the result of two days' shootingf
several of its members sent away 1,200 ducks. A single trapper has
taken in the season about 3,000 muskrats and mink. As late as 1883,
this same trapper and his son caught in the fall about 1,500 of these
valuable fur bearing animals. Before the township was mostly given
up to railroads and cities, therefore, such occupations furnished employ-
ment to many residents. These splendid trapping, hunting and fishing
grounds also drew many sportsmen to the locality, which added to the
local trade. Conseciuently before the coming of the steel mills, Calumet
Township was quite a busy section of the county.

Despite all the later-day improvements, a few muskrats yet remain,
and very rarely is found a mink. Quails to some extent are also seen
by sportsmen with keen eyes, with a few partridges. On well protected
grounds, squirrels, rabbits, woodchucks and occasionally foxes are
glimpsed and caught. P>ut they are all of the past, rather than the





Tolleston, which is now a corporate part of the City of Gary, owes
its existence to a number of German Lutheran families, the heads of
whom settled on its present site during the construction of the Pittsburg,
Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad through the county. The village,
which lay between the Little and Grand Calumet rivers, was laid out in
1857 and in the following year the Fort Wayne was in operation. About

One of Tolleston's Pioneer Houses

18G0 Charles Kunert opened the. first grocery. He also served as post-
master for many years and was prol)a1)ly the first to hold that office. As
is customary in young American conimunities, this combined store and
postoffiee was social, political and business headquarttn's of Tolleston
during the early years of its history. As late as 1872 the innidier of
families in the Tolleston eommuuity liad reached Init eighty, and in 1900
an even liundred. ^lost of fh(Mn were tlien (Miii^loyed at the New Stock
Yards wliich then covered mncli of the pi'esent site of (iai'y.

AYonderful Rise of Gary

Until 1906 Tolleston could not l)e called more than a little town of
sturdy German Lutheran families, depending on the Stock Yards on
the lakeshore for their livelihood, althouoh some of the fairly well-to-do


were employed at Hammond further to the west. But in the year named
Gary commenced to arise from the sand dunes and the ridges northeast
of ToUeston, and three years afterward the following was being recorded :
''A few months ago Gary was a series of sand dunes; to-day it is a
camp of tents sheltering an army of busy workers. A few years hence
it is destined to be a large, populous city clustered around the largest
steel plant in the world. In five years, as the plans prophesy, the plant
wiU cover five square miles or 3,000 acres already bought for it; it will
have cost $75,000,000 and will employ 18,000 to 20,000 men, with a pay
roll of $20,000,000 a year ; it will revolutionize the iron and steel market
of this country and affect those of foreign lands.

"The history of Gary is brief. On May 4, 1906, Thomas E. Knotts,
of Hammond, brother of Hon. A. F. Knotts, former mayor of Hammond
and founder of Gary, came with his family in a furniture wagon across
the plains of jackoaks, and, pitching his tent on the bank of the Grand
Calumet River, became Gary's first settler. This was the material and
geographical beginning of Gary. Since then over one thousand men and
teams are grading the streets of the new city and building its sewers and
300 model dwellings are rising into line by the fiat of the corporation
that orders things. Ere long it will have model churches, and school-
houses with playgrounds. It will permit no crowded tenement quarter.
It will require model homes to be erected and kept with sanitary fittings.
It will permit no out-buildings to mar its beauty or endanger health.
It will have wide, airy streets, promenading boulevards and esplanades
along the river, paved with granitoid. It will have cheap gas for fuel,
and electricity for light. It will be a city of good homes, clean streets,
and business-like, twentieth century government."

The real Gary is more than the foregoing prophecy, as the world
knows; for no municipality, young or old, has been more widely adver-
tised than the City of Gary. No city was ever more quickly or more
massively made to order than Gary, as no municipality in the world's
history was ever able to draw upon such a capital to develop it. The
details of its founding and growth form so unusual a chapter in the
history of American municipalities that they are reserved for later

Griffith, Grand Railway Crossing

Grifiith, in the extreme southwestern corner of Calumet Township,
should be called the Grand Crossing of Lake County. Situated about
midway between Crown Point and Hammond, the Joliet Cut Off, the
Chicago & Erie, Grand Trunk and Elgin Belt Line, all cross at that


point. The three lines last named were completed from 1880 to 1888,
and shortly after the end of the latter year the great real estate "boom"
commenced in the northern part of the county. It was during that
lively period that Jay Dwiggius & Company, then of Chicago, founded
the Town of Griffith.

Factories were erected, stores and residences arose, churches and Sun-
day Schools were organized, and for a time in the early '90s it looked as
if Griffith was to be a permanent city of some consequence. But as we
all know who were in these parts during the World's Fair period, the
"boom" was succeeded by a "slump;" and Griffith had a fall and a
collapse. For some years the place was almost deserted, but those con-
nected with the railroad work remained, and it afterward had a small
share in the prosperity and growth of both Hammond and Gary, so that
now it is a town of some five hundred people, containing the usual com-
plement of stores and churches. It is largely a workmen's and a rail-
road town, besides making some pretensions as a shipping center.

Clarke Station

Clarke is a station on the old Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago
Railroad, which dates from the completion of that line through the
county in 1858. It is situated about two miles from Lake Michigan,
one mile north and two miles west of Tolleston. It was named in honor
of George AV. Clarke, who was at one time a very large land owner in
the Calumet region. For many years the main industry of Clarke Station
was the harvesting, storage and shipping of ice, and before the days of
the artificial product, Avhen many thousands of tons were annually cut
from the Calumet rivers and lakes, Clarke was one of the leading ico
centers in Indiana. In the early '80s the region was shipping more than
60,000 tons every season, and Clarke Station was paying to the Fort
Wayne road freights which amounted to .$3,600 per month. The settle-
ment may now muster 150 people.


As has already been seen, Calumet Township did not assume its
present form until 1883, when it was created from the western sections
of old North Township and some northern sections of Ross and St. John
townships. Thereby the old settlement of Ross, which was formerly in
the township by that name, was included in the limits of Calumet Town-
ship. Therefore it is that near its southern border in what is now a
little station on the Joliet Cut Off is this pioneer landmark commemorat-
ing the residence on Deep River, a few miles to the east, of the first sub-
stantial settler in Lake County, William Ross.


By Courtesy of frank F. Heighway, County Superintendent of Schools

Wallace Consolidated School, Calumet Township

Playground at Wallace School, Calumet Township


The Hornors — David and Amos

Several years before the village was laid out ( which was in 1857 ) that
well known pioneer, Amos Hornor, resided on the site of Ross; so that
he may be accounted its first resident. Ilis father. David Hornor, is
said to have made claims on the west side of Red Cedar Lake in the
fall of 1834, and Amos, the son, who came in the following year, rather
insisted that the elder man should have the honor of being the next set-
tler in Lake County after Ross. Li November, 1835, David Hornor
brought his family to live on the beautiful shores of the lake where he
had taken up land, but after a few years returned to his old home in the
Wabash Valley.

After the return of his father's family to the Wabash, Amos Hornor
resided for some time at Crown Point, and soon married Miss Mary
White, one of the young lielles of Crown Point, daughter of ^Irs. Sally
White, of Porter County. The marriage took place in that county on
the Fourth of July, 18-14. She lived less than a year, and in June. 1849,
Mr. Hornor made jMrs. Sarah R. Brown his second wife, with whom he
moved to Ross a few years afterward. In the meantime he had made a
claim in the edge of the West Creek wootlland. known for some years
as the Amos Hornor Point. In 1892, his second wife having died, Mr.
Hornor married JMrs. Amanda M. Coburn, the bridegroom having then
reached the age of seventy-nine years. His deatli occurred August 25,
1895, at the Village of, of which lie had undoubtedly been the best
known citizen for some forty years.

Rev. George A. AVoodbridge

Rev. George A. AVo()dl)ridge. a pioneer minister, also resided at Ross
for a numlier of years, from 1860 until his death at an advanced age.
He was a native of Connecticut, a graduate of Yale College, the possessor
of a large li1)rary and one of the most highly educated men who ever
lived in Lake County. In 1839, when he first came to the county, he
located near the present Village of Palmer.

A number of other citizens of note in the county have resided at or
near Ross, but the place itself has never lieen more than a wayside sta-
tion on the Joliet Cut Off. which Avas built into the township as early as
1854. In fact, that was the third railroad to enter the county, being
preceded only by the Michigan Central and :\Iichigan Southern. In 1857
forty acres of land on the south side of the railroad were laid out into
town lots, as Ross, but even at this time the evidences of a settlement are
virtually confined to a store, a schoolhouse. a church and a scattering of



Beautiful Lake Prairie— The Taylors — Lowell as a Timber and
Mill Seat — M. A. Halsted, Founder of Lowell — The New Hamp-
shire Settlement — Thomas and Joseph A. Little — Abiel Gerrish
— Samuel and Edward P. Ames — Recollections of ]Mrs. Nannie
W. Ames — First Settlers — The New Hampshire Settlers —
Shelby— Richard Fuller— Creston— A Patriarch Indeed.

Cedar Creek Township attained its present form and area when, iu
1839, the original South Township was divided into the three townships
whose names were determined by the long creeks which flow from the
central sections of the county southward into the Kankakee River. The
larger portion of Cedar Creek Township lies south of Center, and most
of its southern half is included in what is known as the Kankakee
Region. Among the famous islands in that region are Fuller's and
South, and the Griesel Ditch, which has done so much to drain the
marshes of the Kankakee and make them productive lands, is almost
wholly within the township. Orchard Grove is also a well known fea-
ture of that part of the county.

Beautiful Lake Prairie

The early settlement of Cedar Creek Township was largely determined
by the beauties and fertilitj^ of Lake Prairie, rightly called the Gem of
the County. Many years ago a prominent educator of [jidiana when
first emerging from the woodlands wliich encircle its gently rolling land,
exclaimed : "I have been thirty years in the West and have been in every
county in the state, and never but once have I seen so beautiful a view. ' '

The Taylors

The advance guard of the settlers who drifted into Cedar Creek
Township and formed the settlements at Creston and Lowell were the



Taylors, the Edgertons and the Palmers. The Taylors and the Edger-
ton families located on the east side of Eed Cedar Lake in 1836.

Obadiah Taylor, the head of the former, was bom in Massachusetts,
resided for many years in the State of New York, and when he came to
Lake County with sons and daughters, grandsons and granddaughters,
was an aged man. He died in 1839. as did Dr. Calvin Lilley, one of his
sons-in-law who had settled on the land which afterward became West

Adonijah Taylor, born in New York in 1792, and Horace Taylor,
born in 1801, both sons, were among this colony of early settlers, as
well as Horace Edgerton, who had married a daughter (Betsey Taylor)
and had been a widower, with seven children, for about three years.
James Palmer, who had married another daughter, Almira Taylor, was a
Comiecticut man, a soldier in the War of 1812. He came into the county
later than the others — not until 1846 — and in 185-4 moved into Cedar
Creek Township.

The Taylors. Edgertons and Palmers, so numerous and closely re-
lated, were the most prominent of the very early settlers southeast and
south of Cedar Lake in the beautiful Lake Prairie district. Even as
late as 1850, when Creston was something of a village, its population
was composed largely of descendants of the Taylor and Edgerton

Lowell as a Timber and ~ShLL Seat

Lowell, which is one of the best incorporated towns in the county, is
situated in the northwestern part of Cedar Creek Township, in a fine
agricultural district. It is east of the southern portion of Lake Prairie
and northwest of the rich farming belt skirting the Kankakee marsh

As early as 1836 what is now the site of Lowell was selected as a mill
seat on Cedar Creek by John P. Hotf of New York City. He purchased
his claim from Samuel Halstead. To be exact, upon the authority of
the Claim Register, Mr. Halstead entered '"timber and mill-seat" section
23, township 33, range 9, making his claim in August, 1835, and register-
ing it on November 26, 1836. The Claim Register adds: "This claim
was sold to and registered by J. P. Hoff, October 8th, who has not com-
plied with his contract and therefore forfeits his claim to it. ' ' Mr. HofE
was evidently one of those eastern lands speculators whom the Squatters'
Union was trying to keep out of Lake County affairs.

Under date of November 29, 1836, the register makes this entry:
''Transferred to James I\I. Whitney and Mark Burroughs for $212."


This mill-seat does not seem to have been pnrchased by anyone at the
first public land sale of 1839.

M. A. Halstead, Founder of Lowell

In 1848 A. R. Nichols and others were found by Melvin A. Halstead
as holders of the locality. Mr. Halstead secured an interest in the site
and water privileges, a dam was built, and by the winter of that year
Haskins & Halstead had a sawmill in operation.

In 1819 bricks were made and Mr. Halstead erected a house of that
material, into which he and his family moved in 1850. This man is
acknowledged to be the founder of Lowell. After seeing his family com-
fortably settled in their brick house, he started for California and
returned in 1852 with some capital to invest; at all events, he purchased
the interest of 0. E. Haskins in the mill-seat and property, erected a flour
mill, and in 1853 platted the town of Lowell. He also encouraged and
aided the early churches and schools, held numerous local offices and
remained at Lowell until his deatli, easily its first citizen in ability and
public esteem.

The New Hampshire Settlement

Online LibraryWilliam Frederick HowatA standard history of Lake County, Indiana, and the Calumet region (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 44)