Copyright
William Henry Perrin.

History of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois online

. (page 78 of 130)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois → online text (page 78 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tained his business training in Rhorer's Com-
mercial College, of St. Louis, Mo. He came to
this country in 1860, and after finishing his
business course he established a market business
in the city of St. Louis, remaining in that city
in business until 1865. In Mai'ch of that year,
he came to Cairo, 111., and for two years there-
after engaged in the same kind of business,
but in 1867 opened a grocery and provision
store on Washington avenue, between Eighth
and Ninth streets. In 1869, he was burned out
with a severe loss, but. knowing no such word
as fail, he immediately opened up again, and
this time on the corner of Seventh street and
Washington avenue, where he is still located.
He carries an extensive stock and enjoys the
confidence of a large number of friends. He
was married in Cairo, on the 5th of January,
1873. to Miss Maragret Maloney. Their family
consists of M. Gesina, Englebert J., Herman
and Annie Bloms. The family are members of
the Catholic Church of Cairo. Mr. Bloms owns
city property consisting of three improved lots
on his business corner, and including his family
residence.



WALTER L. BRISTOL. In all communities
are found men who rise equal if not superior
to their surroundings, and instead of being en-
tirely the creatures of circumstance, by their
native energy and perseverance, so mold and
direct their business interests as, to a great
extent, to govern circumstances and make them
subserve their immediate interests. The city
of Cairo is not without its portion of such men.
Taking front rank in this class is the subject
of these lines, Walter L. Bristol. He was born
in Erie County, Penn., on the 6th of May, 1839,
and is the son of Lester Bristol and Adelaide
Pettibone. The father was of German parent-
age, and was married in Pennsylvania, and
about 1844 removed to Wisconsin, where the
mother died in 1849. The father lived to the
age of seventy-seven years, and died in Iowa
about 1870. They had a family of five children
— Walter L., of Cairo, 111.: Edward Bristol, of
Dakota ; Adeline, deceased wife of A. Stone-
braker; George Bristol, of Wisconsin; and
Lucius Bristol, of Iowa. Mr. W. L. Bristol was
reared on the farm, and chiefly by strangers. In
1859, having grown to manhood, he went to
Chicago, and until 1863 was employed in the
dry goods house of Potter Palmer, of that city.
Having saved a little money, he came to Cairo
in 1863, and soon after associated with L. W.
Stilwell in the grocery trade, the partnership
existing until April, 1875, when Mr. Stilwell
retired from the firm, which was known as
Bristol & Stilwell. Since the latter date, Mr.
Bristol has conducted the business alone, and
with marked success. In 1881, he erected a
neat two-story brick business house at No. 32
on Eighth street, where he keeps a select
stock of groceries, provisions and queensware.
In addition to his city business, he has- a grain
and fruit farm of 243 acres in Pulaski County.
He was married in Bristol, Wis., on the 25th
of December, 1866. to Miss Louisa S. Watkins,
daughter of George and Maria (Chamberlain)
Watkins — the former born in England in 1811,



10



BIOGRAPHICAL;



and the latter was born in 1814 in Connecticut.
These parents, in 1844 (then having three
children), removed from the State of New York,
to Kenosha Count}-, Wis., where the father en-
gaged in farming until his death, which occurred
in 1851. His wife and, four of a famil}^ of nine
children still survive him. Mrs. Bristol
was born in the State of New York in 1844.
Their family consists of Walter W., born Octo-
ber 2, 1867; Willis E., born October 23, 1868;
Louis T., born September 1, 1872; and John B.
Bristol, born May 15, 1877. He is a member
of the I. 0. 0. F., and both husband and wife
are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church
of Cairo.

EDWARD A. BUDER, jeweler and watch-
maker, Cairo, 111., was born November 4, 1839,
in Austria. He is the second of a family of
five sons of Florian and Rosalia Buder, both of
whom were Austrians by birth. Edward A.,
when fourteen years old, having received a fair
education, came to the United States, and for
four years was located at Hartford, Conn., dur-
ing which time he was learning the art of plat-
ing in the establishment of the famous Rogers
Bros, of that city. Leaving there in 1857, he
came to St. Louis, Mo., where he spent another
four years in perfecting the trade of watch-
maker and jeweler. He came to Cairo, 111., in
1861, and that year, in connection with his
brother, William Buder, opened a business on a
very limited scale. B}- a natural adaptation
to business, and a thorough knowledge of their
line, together with a native energy, they soon
found themselves able to branch out largely,
and in a few years began a wholesale business,
emplo3'ing a traveling salesman. For a num-
ber of years the firm did business on corner of
Eighth street and Washington avenue, now oc-
cupied by Barclay Brothers, druggists. Mr.
Buder has met with some severe losses, one by
fire, and others perhaps more serious, and from
a source far more aggravating. Being in busi-
ness during the war, they were subjected to



cruel robbery at the hands of an unprincipled
mob of drunken soldiers who, in passing along,
were attracted by the display of watches in the
show windows. Immediately, as if by instinct,
they were impressed with their need of watches,
and a rush was made for the window, all (in-
cluding the proprietors) striving for first
choice. In 1877, the partnership terminated
by the withdrawal of William, since which time
Edward A. has been sole proprietor. He is
now located at No. 1 04 Commercial avenue,
where he has a stock and trade second to none
in Southern Illinois. He owns a quantity of
valuable city real estate, including a block of
three-story buildings on northwest corner of
Eighth street and Commercial avenue. He is
a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and Knights of
Honor. He was married in Cairo, 111., Febru-
ary, 1866, to Miss Susan Schmidt. She
was born in Prussia in 1844, and died in
Cairo, 111., in 1870, leaving two daughters —
Mary and Rosa Buder. Minnie Kaufman, to
whom he is now married, was born in Prussia
in 1850. By this union there are four chil-
dren, viz. : Edward, Otto, Minnie and Florence
Buder.

ANDREW J. CARLE, Cairo, 111., was born
near Ithaca, Tompkins Co., N. Y.,on the 7th day
of April, 1823. He is the fifth of a family of
ten children of David T. Carle and Sibyl Ow-
ens, who were both natives of New York. The
father was born December 25, 1794, and died
in Pennsylvania on the 20th of March, 1872.
The mother was born on March 20, 1789, and
died in Pennsylvania on the 17th of February,
1865. In 1836, the family moved from Tomp-
kins County to Western New York, where An-
drew J. grew to manhood, and from where the
parents removed to Pennsj'^lvania. In the year
1844, Andrew J. went to Grirard, Penn., and
there learned the trade of a carriage-maker. He
opened a carriage shop at Meadville, Penn., in
1846, which he operated until 1852, when he
sold out and removed to Lacon, 111., where he



CAIRO.



11



purchased a carriage business, but becoming
dissatisfied with the business facilities of that
town he soon returned to Meadville. Here, on
the 23d day of August, 1853, he was married
to Miss Harriet M. Kinnear, of Pennsylvania,
and daughter of Milita Kinnear, of Cairo. She
was born in 1825, and died in Cairo in 1870,
leaving one son, Frank A. Carle, who was born
June 10,1860. Soon after marriage, Mr. Carle
settled in Allegany County, N. Y., where they
lived, however, but a short time. The}- re-
moved to Cincinnati from Allegany County
by water, bringing their effects on a rude raft
constructed for the trip, and spent nine weeks in
reaching Cincinnati. He then established a bus-
iness in Willoughby, Ohio, where he remained
until coming to Cairo, 111., which he did in the
fall of 1858, immediately after the flood of that
year. In 1859, he was appointed to the office
of City Police, and for many years thereafter
was connected with that part of the city gov-
ernment. In 1873, he opened a livery and sale
stable on the corner of Tenth street and Wash-
ington avenue, which he still owns. In 1883,
there was opened another stable on corner of
Tenth street and Commercial avenue, which is
under the control of Frank A. Carle. Mr. Carle
was married to his pi'esent wife, Mrs. Augeline
(Warner) Bushnell, in November of 1871. Mrs.
Carle has one daughter by former marriage,
Clara Bushnell, who was born in Pennsylvania
December 4, 1859, and the mother in Ohio in
1836. Family residence, No. 32 on Ninth
street, Cairo.

WILLIAM G. CARY, undertaker, Cairo.
Among those whose residence in Cairo entitle
them to the appellation of pioneers must be
mentioned the name of William G. Carj^, who
came here in 1854. His father was a native of
England, though of Irish descent, and married
in Vermont Miss Aurilla Bishop, a native of
that State. They reared a family of six chil-
dren, all of them now living, and of whom
William is the third. From Vermont the par-



ents moved to Palmyra, Wayne Co., N. Y.,
where our subject was born on the 14th of
April, 1824. They then removed to Canada,
and later to Michigan, where they died— the
mother in 1858, and the father in September,
1881, at the advanced age of one hundred and
eight years. At the age of twenty, William G.
went from his home in Canada to Niagara Falls,
where he remained about five years ; then
went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and ran the rivers
from that place to St. Louis, Mo. He after-
ward engaged in business in Louisiana, from
where he came to Cairo in 1854, as above
stated. Being a practical carpenter and
builder, he found the city of Cairo an ample
field of labor, for some time employing a large
number of men in his business. In 1858, he
began the manufacture of coffins, and has re-
mained in Cairo, engaged in the undertaker
line, ever since. He was married, 1855, to Em-
ma Crabtree, daughter of James Crabtree and
Phoebe E. Cookney. Her father was of Eng-
lish and the mother of Scotch birth. They
were married in Virginia, and had a family of
ten children. Of this family, Mrs. Cary is the
fourth member, and was born in Kentucky on
the 29th day of September, 1829. Mr. Cary
has a family of three children living, and has
buried several — Aurilla J., wife of W. H.
McFarland, was born September 23, 1858 ;
Ella M., born January 27, 1864, and George
W. Cary, born March 10, 1867. It is worthy
of remark that Mr. and Mrs. Cary are still liv-
ing in the same house in which they began
their married life, where each of their children
were born, and also a grandchild, daughter of
Aurilla J., who was married at the "same old
stand." They are members of the Episcopal
Church, and he of the I. 0. 0. F.

BENJAMIN F. CLARK, engineer, Cairo, III,
was born in Ohio County, Va.. January 19, 1824.
He is the youngest of a family of eleven children
of Samuel and Elizabeth (Anderson) Clark, who
were born and reared in Maryland. He was



13



BIOGRAPHICAL,



left an orphan at the age of twelve years b}'
the death of his mother, the father having died
about seven 3'ears previous. He thus early in
life was thrown, comparatively, upon his own
resources, and soon after began an apprentice-
ship to the trade of blacksmith, which he pur-
sued until the year 1852. He worked at his
trade, in the emplo}^ of the Government, during
the Mexican war, remaining with the United
States Armj' through the entire contest. In
1852, he began what has ever since been his oc-
cupation, that of marine engineer, on the
Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, and during the late
civil war was a regularly commissioned engi-
neer in the United States Navy, participating
in several severe naval engagements. Since
the war, he has been a resident of Cairo, 111.,
and emploj'ed on local vessels ; now in the em-
ploy of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad Compa-
ny, as engineer of their transfer vessel. In
1845. at Ravenswood, Jackson Co., Va., he
married Miss Mar}- E. Merr^-man, daughter of
Caleb Menyman, formerly of Baltimore, Md.
She is a native of Virginia.

JEFFERSON M. CLARK, painter and pa-
per hanger, Cairo, 111., is a native of Pennsyl-
vania, and was born in the city of Philadelphia
on June 1, 1844. His parents, Charles S. Clark
and Sarah B. Taj'lor, were born and reared in
the East, the father in New Jersey, and the latter
in Pennsylvania. Jefferson M. is the oldest of
a family of eight children ; he learned the
trade of painter in Philadelphia, and in 1860
moved with his parents to Indiana, and in the
spring of the following 3'ear he enlisted in
Company P, of the Thirteenth Indiana Regi-
ment, serving in this organization for three
3'ears. He was afterward commissioned a First
Lieutenant, on Gen. Thomas' staff, and served
one 3'ear. He participated in several hard-
fought battles, including Rich Mountain, Win-
chester, Nashville and the siege of Charleston
and others. He was discharged in Nashville,
Tenn., where he immediately began work at



his trade, and where, on September 25, 1865,
he was married to Miss Mildred E. Atkins.
She is a daughter of A. L. and Nancy Atkins,
and was born October 22, 1847, at Waverly,
Tenn. Mr. Clark continued in the South until
1874, when he came to Cairo, 111., and has
since been engaged constantly at his trade.
He keeps in stock an assortment of paints,
wall paper, window shades, picture frames and
moldings. Mr. Clark has four children living
and two deceased — Bertie, born October 3,
1867 ; Jefferson L., born June 25, 1869 ;
Charles M., born January 6, 1873, died Sep-
tember 19 of same year ; John A., born Jul}'
9, 1874, died February 16, 1879 ; Angelo A.,
born February 7, 1879 ; and an infant, born
September 3, 1881. Mr. Clark is a member of
the I. 0. 0. F., in which he has filled the vari-
ous offices of honor ; is also a member of the
Knights of Honor and of the Arab Fire Com-
pany. Addison L. Atkins, father of Mrs. Clark,
was born in Virginia ; married, in Tennessee,
Miss Nanc}- S. Coffman ; reared a family of ten
children, and died in 1868. The mother still
lives at Waverly, Tenn.

ALBERT C. COLEMAN, traveling passen-
ger agent of the Illinois Central Railroad, is a
native of Oneida County, N. Y., born March 7,
1824, son of John and Ama (Smith) Coleman,
the father a native of Hartford, Conn., and
a descendant of an English famil}', who
were first represented in the United States
about 1760. He grew to manhood in Connecti-
cut, and in 1808 became a settler in Oneida
County, N. Y., then a wilderness ; he was there
married to Miss Ama Smith, a native of Ver-
mont, and of English origin, and a daughter of
Asal Smith, a Revolutionar}^ soldier. A. C.
Coleman is the youngest of a family of ten
born to these parents. He grew to manhood in
Oneida County, N. Y., receiving the benefits of
an academic education. From 1841 to 1857,
he was chiefl}' employed on steam and sail ves-
sels, becoming a master. In 1852, however,



CAIRO.



13



he was employed by Messrs. Phillips & Vaudu-
sen, contractors on the Illinois Central Rail-
road, as foreman of a part of their work, and
superintended the first of their earthwork at
La Salle, 111. Since June, 1864, he has been
in the employ of the Illinois Central Railroad
Company, as traveling passenger agent, with
his residence at Cairo, 111. He was first mar-
ried in Bellows Falls, Vt., to Miss S. A.
Carter, a native of New Hampshire. She died in
1851, at La Salle, 111. Subsequently he was mar-
ried, in Chicago, to Miss Susan E. Mclntyre, of
Fabius, Onondaga Co., N. Y. She died in
Cairo, 111., February, 1876, leaving two chil-
dren — Eflfie May and Albert V. Coleman.. His
present wife was Miss Flora Van Cleve, daugh-
ter of Dr. William Van Cleve, of Centralia,
111., and was born in Illinois in 1844. Mr. Cole-
man is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

WILLIAM M. DAVIDSON, tinner, Cairo,
111., was born February 7, 1838, in Allegany
County, N. Y., and was reared from child-
hood to maturity in Wyoming County, of that
State. James Davidson, father of William M.,
was born in 1808, in the State of New Jersey,
but of Scotch parentage. He grew to manhood
in his native State, and in Tompkins County,
N. Y., he was married to Miss Lucy Com-
stock, of that State. Their family comprised
eight children, seven of whom are now living,
William M. being the second of the family.
The mother died in Pulaski County, III, on
May 29, 1877. The father is still living, making
his home with his son William M., and though
seventy-five years old retains much of his youth-
ful vigor. William Davidson first came West
in 1854, located at Rockford, 111., where he
adopted the trade of tinner, and where he woi'ked
until 1858, returning that year to New York,
there engaging at the trade until May, 1861,
when he became a member of Company I,
Thirty-second New York Infantry. He par-
ticipated in both the Bull Run battles, and
most of the active service incident to G-en. Mc-



Clellan's campaign of the peninsula. He was
mustered out in New York City at the close of
his term of enlistment, with the commission of
First Lieutenant of his company. Immediately
after being discharged, he came to Cairo, 111.,
where for a short time he was employed as a
clerk in the post ofHce. Soon, however, in con-
nection with a man named Brown, he opened a
tin store on a ver}- limited capital, and a portion
of that was borrowed funds. Fortune smiled
upon them in this enterprise, and they were
soon able to expand their business, and to do
.so they leased the Cunningham Building on
Commercial avenue, paying an annual rental of
$2,000. Mr. Davidson has stemmed the tide
of business depressions, overcoming some
severe financial reverses, and to-day has a very
complete stock of stoves, tinware, etc., occupy-
ing Nos. 25 and 27 on Eighth street. He was
married in Cairo, 111., on the 30th of October,
1867, to Miss Anna Helby, daughter of Herbert
Helby. She was born in Liverpool, England,
September 26, 1847. Their family consists of
William, James H., Charles E., Harlow C,
Lucy and Frank M. Davidson. Mr. Davidson
is a member of the American Legion of Honor.
GIDEON DESROCHER, market gardener
and florist, is the eldest of a family of six
children of Francis and Victoire (Lafortune)
Desrocher. His parents were born, reared and
married in Canada, where he was also born on
the 20th of April, 1829. His father was born
in 1801, and died in Jackson County, 111., in
1862. The mother died ten years later in
Canada. Gideon was educated in his native
place, and while young learned the cabinet,
trade. In 1856, he went to Chicago, 111., where
for three years he was foreman in a caliinet
manufactory. From Chicago he removed to
Jackson County, 111., where he undertook the
task of clearing a tract of land, which he
developed into a valuable fruit farm. Tiie re-
sult of this labor he lost in an unfortunate bus-
iness partnership in Murphysboro, III. In 1872,



14



BIOGRAPHICAL:



he came to Cairo and established a gardening
business, whicli is fully noticed elsewhere. In
1851, he was married in Canada to Miss Ilar-
menia Beauchamp. She was born in Canada
in 1836, and died in 1869 in Jackson County,
111., leaving four children — Arthur, O.scar,
Henry and Josephine Dcsrocher. The oldest
son, Arthur, married Miss Thompson, and has
two children, named Oscar and Francis Gideon.
The second son, Oscar, married Miss Mary
Scott, and has one daughter— Emma Des-
rochcr. Mr. Desrocher was married to his
present wife, Eliza Tippet, in 1872. She was
born in England in 1847. Frank Desrocher is
the only child by the second marriage.

CHARLES W. DUNNING, physician and
surgeon, Cairo. Tiie greatest genius of which
any one can boast is the power of molding
circumstances— of beuig able to turn them to
good account, and of using his talents to bet-
ter the condition of others and develop in him-
self a true manhood. Such reflections natur-
ally come to us as we study the life-histories
of such men as he whose name heads this arti-
cle. He was born April 15, 1828, in Auburn,
N. Y. His father, Lucius Dunning, died in
1834, and his mother, Mary Dunning, who was
born in 1807, is still living. His father died
wiien he was but six years of age, and he was
left to battle with the world, stimulated only
by a mother's devoted love and liis own energy.
He was educated in Gambler College, Ohio,
and immediately after finishing his course at
that institution, he determined to gratify his
desire to become a physician, and to that end
entered upon the study of medicine. He un-
derwent the usual preparatory reading with
Dr. G. W. Hotchkiss, of Nashville, 111., and
Prof Joseph N. McDowell, of St. Louis. In
1850, he graduated from the Medical Depart-
ment of the University of Missouri. Imme-
diately after, he accepted the position of Assist-
ant Resident burgeon of a private hospital in
St Louis, known as the "Hotel for Invalids,"



where he remained for two years, and then re-
moved to Centralia, 111. During a residence
hereof four years he won for himself many ar-
dent friends, and established a lucrative prac-
tice. From Centralia he removed to Cairo,
which has since been his permanent home,
though his business and profession frequently
calls him away. He was connected witli the
United States Hospital at Mound City, 111., dur-
ing the years of 1861 and 1862, returning to
his home in Cairo when his services there were
no longer a necessity. In 18 63, he was hon-
ored with the appointment of Professor of Sur-
gery in the Hahnemann Medical College of Chi-
cago, which he declined, and in 1865 he was
appointed Professor of Physiology and Materia
Medica in the University of Missouri. This
position also he was forced to decline, on ac-
count of business and professional connections
here which he could not sever. Dr. Dunning
is often called to attend critical cases remote
from and beyond the circle of his usual prac-
tice. His popularity as a man and as a phy-
sician has been fairly and honorably earned,
and his professional success no less due to his
knowledge an<l ability than to his purely sym-
pathetic nature so indispensable in the sick
chamber antl in the character of the true phy-
sician. While he devotes his attention closely
to his practice, he also takes an unselfish but
hearty interest in the politics of the day, and
exerts no small influence, the benefits of which
are enjoyed by the Democratic party. He
wields a commanding influence in the Masonic
fraternity, in which he is an honored member.
He is an officer in the Grand Commandery of
Knights Templar for the State of Illinois, be-
ing Grand Captain General of that august body.
He has been ten times elected Eminent Com-
mander of Cairo Commandery, No. 13, which
position he now fills. Dr. Dunning was first
married in 1840 to Amanda Shannon, of Spar-
ta, III. She died in 1859, leaving one son, who
is now living. His present wife was Miss El-



CAIRO.



15



len 0. Dashiell. They have one child — a
daughter.

WILLIAM EICHHOFF, wholesale and re-
tail dealer in parlor, office and kitchen
furniture, on the corner of Seventeenth street
and Washington avenue, Cairo, was born in
Westphalia, Prussia, June 19, 1835. He is a
son of Casper H. and Anna EichhofF, both of
whom were natives of Prussia, the former born
in 1789, and the latter in 1796. They married
in Prussia, and to them were born a family of
six children, William being the fourth. He
was educated in Prussia, and came to the
United States with an elder brother, Charles
Eichhoff, in 1854, and the same year located at
Cairo, 111. Here he engaged at his trade, that
of carpenter and cabinet-maker, and worked on
the first storehouse erected on the Ohio levee.
In the year 1856, he went to Dongola, 111.,
where for several years he followed contracting
and building. He returned from there to Cairo,
111., and in 1865, established a planing mill on
Eighteenth street, which he operated success-
fully for about two years, discontinuing this to
place the machinery in a furniture manufactor}',
which he erected on the corner of Seventeenth
street and Washington avenue, which has been
his business location since, and which has been
converted from a manufacturing to a wholesale
and retail establishment. Mr. Eichhoff was
first married in Union Count}-, 111., to Miss La-
vina Casper, who was born in Union Count}'
March 4, 1840. She died in Dongola, of small-
pox, April 3, 1863. His second wife, Rachel
Fleshman, to whom he was married February



Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Alexander, Union and Pulaski Counties, Illinois → online text (page 78 of 130)