William Henry Perrin.

History of Jefferson County, Illinois online

. (page 37 of 76)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 37 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


child, quite exhausted and in despair. He
looked as if he had given up and sat down
to die. He was soon restored to his parents,
and great was the joy among the friends.
Howell, not long after, went back to Tennes-
see, then to Arkansas, and died in Scott
County.

The same year, 1820, in the spring, Felix
McBride came, took Clark Casey's lot — now
the corner west of Nieman's — off his hands,
and set up a grocery. We think McBride
came with the Whitesides. He married Nel-
lie Hensley, a sister to John and Leftridge
Hensley, near Walnut Hill. She was the
second woman buried at Union, "Aunt Milly "
Tyler being the first. Her grave is close be-
side "Roaring Billy" Woods', and was cov-
ered with a bricfi arch of pretty neat work-
manship. Their only child was soon after



buried in the same grave. McBride enlarged
the Clark Casey house to a double log build-
ing, with open passage, and nearly two
stories high. On the death of his wife, he
left here and married again, went to Galena,
and was at length killed by a miner.

The next man was Elisha Plummer. Wat-
kins returned to Tennessee, vacating the
William Casey house; Plummer moved into
it, and put up a rough blacksmith shop, just
east of where the Methodist Episcopal Church
stands. He did not stay long. His wife
was a daughter of James Tally, and he and
Tally went to the American bottom. At last
accounts. Tally was keeping a boarding house
in St. Louis. Next, Thomas Tunstall came,
in 1821, and bought the " Kirby Tavern," as
it was afterward called, and put up a log
storehouse, where Herdman lives. Thomas
came first, then the old peojile and his
brothers. William Tunstall, the father, had
his second wife, the first having died child-
less. They were familiarly called " the old
Colonel" and "Aunt Sally." Aunt Sally
was a Mrs. Whorl, of the Todd family; and,
as we are told, was an aunt to Mrs. Lincoln.
Tom's name was Thomas Todd. They were
all Kentuekians. The old lady died in 1825,
and the old Colonel went back to Kentucky,
where he died a few years later. The
Colonel drank, and was found dead in bed
one morning. Their children wei'e Thomas T.,
Edmund, George and Jane Webb. Thomas
kept tavern and sold goods and groceries.
He bought and sent South a great deal of
stock. He could buy a good yearling for a
set of plates, or a set of knives and forks, or a
pair of shoes. While here ho sent ofl:' no less
than 1,500 head of cattle, and a good many
horses. He gave Nolin forty cows and calves
for a race-horse called Moneymolder. He
had the treadmill erected, which stood just
north of where Judge Pollock lives, bring-



292



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



ing John Summers up from Shawneetown to
superintend it. Not long after this, he went
to Vicksbui-g, then to Little Kock, and among
other adventures, won a steamboat at the
card table. He bought a large b^dy of land
on White Eiver, and laid out the town of
Jacksonport. James and William were his
oldest sons; one of his daughters was mar-
ried to John Boyer, one to McHenry. etc.
He died at Memphis during the war. Ed-
mund married Miss Baugh at Vandalia, came
to Mount Vernon in 1823, lived a while at
the Howell House, east of the court house,
and succeeded Burchett Maxey as tavern
keeper at the H T. Pace corner in 1824. He
nest went South, and died, and John Baugh
went down— spring of 1828— and brought
his widow back. She had two sons, Edmund
and James. About thirty years ago, the
boys went South; James became Captain of
a steamboat on White River, fell overboard
at Buffalo Shoals, and was never found.
Mrs. Tiinstall married a Hart. George, son
of the old Colonel, went Souths and Jane
W. was married in 1824 to Dr. W. Adams.
William Rearden came about this time, and
put up two cabins on Lot No. 16, south and
west of where TJrry lives. He was a cabinet-
maker, perhaps the first in the county, and
his wife was a sister to Jarvis Pierce. His
house was not only out of town, but entirely
out of sight of town. He did not remain
long. The preacher, better known as Col.
Rearden, was his son.

This brings us up to the fall of 1823, with
Plummer at the Casey house, Burchett Maxey
at the H. T. Pace corner, Thomas Tunstall at
the Kirby tavern, Edmund Tunstall east of
the court house, McBride at the corner west
of Nieman's, and Rearden away out in the
brush southwest of town. All the rest of the
town was in the brush, and these lots are
only partly fenced, and that with crooked



rail fences. The Clerk's office, too, on the
north side of the public square, and Joel
Pace living in it from the spring of 1822 to
1823, ought not to be forgotten.

But Joel Pace built a cabin about a hun-
dred yards east of where Gen. Pavey lives;
a new court house was built, and the old
Clerk's office was left tenantless. This new
court house was first determined on at the
December term, 1821, William Casey, then one
of the County Commissioners, being the am-
bitious man who ventured to propose it, and
this was to be the fashion of it: " The wall
to be built of brick, twenty-foiu- by thirty
feet, two stories high; the first story nine
feet, the ^second seven and a half, two sets
of joists to be put in, nine sixteen-light win-
dow-frames the lights eight by ten be-
low, and eight twelve- light window-frames,
lio-hts same size above, two door-frames to
be put in, four fire-places above, the house to
have a good, firm, brick floor; the house to
be well covered with good oak shingles witli-
out sap, the brick and timber to be of the
best quality; the house completed * * *
by next December term." McBride under-
took the job, and handed it over the next
summer to Thomas Jordan. McBride got
$300, Jordan 8202, and Edward Tunstall
SllO, when it was paid for. But it was not
finished till the summer of 1823 — nor even
then. For, in 1829, an order was made tor
finishing the house— laying the upper floor,
enlarging the hearth-boxes, putting stairs in
the southeast corner, dividing the upper part
into four rooms with dressed gum planks,
ceiling the room with good shaved oak
boards (fourfoot boards split by hand, of
course), putting in bricks that had fallen
out. and painting the outside with three
good coats of Spanish brown. John Wilker-
son bid off the job of inside work at $89,
which was done bv Cannon Maxey and



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



293



Stephen Hicks, and the painting at $79.93|,
this part of the work being mostly done by
Jarvis Pierce. The same year, 1829, the
jail was moved to a place just east of the
conrt house, and about fifteen feet from it,
by Green Depriest.

Mount Vernon from 1824 to 1830. — In
1824, William Casey sold ninety rods off the
west side of the southwest quarter of Section
29, to James Gray for SI, 000. The convey-
ance ignores the existence of Mount Vernon
right in the heart of the tract. This is what
was laid oiit and added to the town in 1840,
the whole forming "Storm's Survey." About
the same tme, 1824, John Cooper, another
blacksmith, came, and moved into one of
Rearden's houses. He afterward went to the
Henry Wilkerson place — of late, Jacob
Stitch's — where Jonathan Wells had lived
awhile and had built a shop. Another noted
arrival abont this time was a medical firm —
Drs. Adams & Glover. They hoarded awhile
at Edward Tunstall's, the H. T. Pace corner,
and when Tunstall left they bought the prop-
erty. They soon after sold to Pace. Glover
went to McLeansboro — then a bran new
town — married a Miss Locke, and went to
Missouri. Dr. Adams was from Alabama.
When Glover left, or sooner, he man'ied
Jane Tunstall, October, 1824, and lived
many years about town, part of the time two
or three miles west of town; then went to the
place in an arm of Moore's Prairie, where he
died in January, 1873. Downing Baugh
was also here, remained a year or two, mar-
ried Milly Pace, went to Vandalia, and
thence to Collinsville; then concluded to
locate in Mount Vernon. He sold goods,
and was for several years a Justice of the
Peace. He built a store about where Seimer
& Klinker now keep, in 1832; and he built
the two-story frame on the north side of the
square, that was burned before the Phoenix



Block arose. He has ever been a zealous
Methodist. He was appointed Judge of the
Circuit Coiu-t, Twelfth Circuit, August 11,
1854, vice S. S. Marshall, resigned, and held
the office till the election of Edwin Beecher,
in 1855. He was pronounced one of the best
judges of statute law in the State. He now
lives in McGregor, Iowa, at the age of
eighty-four years. His wife died here in
May, 1846, and he married a Miss Sophronia
Davis. His daughters were Mrs. H. H.
Wilkerson, Mrs. J. J. Ely, Mrs. W. W.
Thurston; his sons, Thomas J., John W. and
Joel V. T. J. and Mrs. W. are dead.
Jack and Moses Baugh were brothers to the
Judge; Mrs. Edmund Tunstall, two Mrs.
Foleys, of Galena, and Mrs. Buck Pace, of
Salem, his sisters.

In the spring of 1825, William Flint built
on Lot No. 19, and set up another gi'ocery.
The house is still standing, the first resi-
dence south of the Crews building. Perhaps
Flint sold to D. Baugh. Baugh owned the
place when H. T. Pace lived there. It was
also in 1825 that Simon McClenden built a
small frame house west of the court house.
McClenden first settled in Moore's Prairie,
then moved up to the Samuel Bullock place
west of town, then to town. One of his
daughters, Jane, married a Gilbert, and
Polly Ann Billardy was the name of the
other. Riley married a Quinn, then a
Daniels, and is in Texas. Joseph Wilbanks
came to town this season, and in the fall he
went into the Thomas Tunstall or Kirby
tavern, and kept it for about a year. The
Wilbaukses began to come in 1824, as will
be seen in other chapters. Joseph Wilbanks
bought Lot No. 9, the^Thorn lot, from Pace,
who transferred title bond from Edward
Masey, for $40, moved the Rearden house
up here for a residence, and bought McClen-
den's house for a store room. He soon after



294



HISTORY OF JEFFEKSOX COUXTY.



went to South Carolina on business, and
died there, leaving John, Luke, Quincy and
Margaret, his childi-en. Dr. Adams followed
Joseph Wilbanks at the Tunstall House.
But before Wilbanks bought McClenden's
house, he, in partnership with a Mr. Han-
cock, sold goods at the corner — now east of
Porter & Bond's drug store.

We will now finish the stoiy of some of
those first houses of the olden time. The
log court house was sold to some man— per-
haps William Hamblin,— who moved and re-
built east of Hansackers. Capt. Newby
bought the lot, and moved the logs down to
his residence (now Capt. Gibson's), where,
after various uses, they went into a " shuck "
pen, a few remains of which were to be found
there only a few years back. We don't know
what became of the old Clerk's office; some
tell us it was burned — catching fire from the
burning prairie; and some that it was moved
down to the lot where Wlecke's Hotel stands.
A log house stood for years on that lot. Har-
vey Pace worked in it the first year that he
lived in town. Dr. Adams lived there for a
while. Mrs. Keller was born there, and it
was in this house, or one erected on the cor-
ner north of it, that Daniel Anderson kept
his first grocery. Of Thomas Tunstall's old
tavern stand, perhaps enough has been said.
After Wilbanks & Adams, E. D. Anderson
kept there. 1830 to 1836, and James Kirby
came in and bought it, and occupied it from
1836 till his death in 1844. The house that
Watkins built at N. C. Pace & Co.'s corner,
was used as a stable by John M. Pace — Jack
Pace, as he was generally called, who kept a
blooded animal there one spring and sum-
mer. It was then occupied as a stable by
a Mr. Black. This man (James Black), had
married Joseph Wilbanks' sister, and was
carrying the mail from Shawneetown to St.
Louis on horseback. Black was killed in



the Black Hawk war ; his widow married Comp -
ton, and died, and Compton married Miss
Sarah Hawkins; then at Compton's death his
widow married a Combs, father of Samuel.
In 1828. this old house was moved to the cor-
ner where Porter & Bond's drug store stands,
the first house on that corner, but was still
used as a stable. No trace of it remains.
Joel Pace bought the lot of James Gray in

1829, for $45, and built on it in 1831. The
log house that Burchett Masey built on the
H. T. Pace corner, stood there till after H.
T. Pace bought the lot. Indeed, Burchett
had reared a two-story house just south of it,
about 15x30 feet, longest from east to west,
and had it inclosed and floored, a stairway
up, etc. ; and he sold the whole, houses and
lot, to Pace, for $250, in 1827. Pace then, in

1830, built a store room in front, east of the
log house, doing nearly all the work himself:
rented it awhile to D. Baugh, then to E. H.
Eidgeway, and began business in it himself
in 1832. The log house was occupied for a
time by W. W. Pace in 1829. From that he
went to the Tunstall tavern, where he lived
one year, then he went to the Wilbanks
house west of the square, then to the Howell
house east of the square, and then to Salem
in 1834. But the old log house, after he left
it, was bought by John Scott, and moved to
the country. This last location was about
south of the William Baugh house, where
Cherry lives. Scott sold out to James Bow-
man, and Bowman was bui'ned out in 1835.
He had commenced a house in town in 1834,
east of the square, and before it was nearly
finished, sold to John Johnson, the wi-iter's
father, and now having no house instead of
two. He rebuilt out east, and this second
house stood within the memory of many of
us. AVesley Johnson now lives in the house
Bowman started east of the square. Joseph
Wilbanks, as stated, bought the Eearden



LIBRARY

OF THE

UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



297



house, and moved it up to the lot where Mrs.
Thorn lives— Lot No. 9. Then in 1826, Har-
vey Pace built an addition for Wilbanks
south of the old house, and Stinson Ander-
son m 1831; after he married Mrs. Wilbanks,
built the part Thorn used for a shop. Thorn
added the upper stories to these about 1855.
The old Rearden house was moved back long
before that for a kitchen, and is now "gone
back " entirely. At Wilbanks' death, 1829,
one-third of his north lot was sold to pay
debts, and was used for a residence by vari-
ous persons. In 1828, Uncle Isaac Casey
and Joel Pace went into business in the Wil-
banks storehouse, and continued there till
Joel built at his comer lot in 1831. W. W.
Pace bought part of the Wilbanks lot, in-
cluding the residence; sold it to W. D. Isbell
in 1832, for $125. Dr. Simmons lived there
one summer; Dr. Moore got it, Lewis Moore
got it, and at last Harvey Pace got it, bought
the rest of the lot from Abner Melcher a few
years later; and in the fall of 1844 moved
the store to where it now stands, performing
the office of milliner's shop, late dining-room.
The old original William Casey house stood
many years. After Plummer, Samuel Hirons
occupied it, and many others succeeded him.
Old Cesar lived there in 1834, and we know
.not how long before or after; and finally,
L. C. Moss bought it, and moved it out to
a place he had bought this side of where Mr.
Tankersly lived. The Clark Casey house,
west of Nieman's, was considerably enlarged
by Felix McBride; but in 1824 Mrs. McBride
died, and he left. He was followed by Will-
iam Thacker, he by old Mr. Davenport, he
by Samuel McConnell; he by old Mr. Bos-
well, father of Felix; he by Noah Johnston,
and he by William Hickman, from Ken-
tucky. Hickman came in 1836, built the large
frame now occupied by W. E. Jackson, and
sold to Witherspoon & Barker in 1837. W.



B. Scates moved it to where it now stands.
Thomas Cunningham bought the old houses
and rebuilt them where Charles J. Pool lives.
Witherspoon staid a few years, married
Lewis Johnson's youngest daughter, Susan,
and went back to Kentucky. Barker, Wes-
ley Barker, was a brother to William Casey's
wife, and his wife was a sister to Robert
Wingate. Wesley went to Louisville. We
just now referred to W. W. Pace's having
bought the Howell house; he built an addi-
tional room, and sold to Dr. Moore in 1835.
Moore did not tarry long; went to Carlyle,
then to Franklin or Columbus in Tennessee,
then to St. Louis, where he became eminent.
The Doctor sold out to John M. Pace late in

1835. Next year Pace went back to his farm,
then came to the Joseph Wilbanks houses;
returned to his farm, rented the old Howell
house for awhile to Bowman, and finally, in

1836, sold it to Eli D. Anderson. Eli was
succeeded by William Gibberson, a tailor,
after whom a great number lived there, until
Strattan demolished the house to " build
greater," in 1859. We have dwelt on these
details, because, if the record is not pre-
served here and now, the whole story is gone
forever.

In 1S19, October 5, the third wedding in
the county occurred at William Maxey's, in
Shiloh Township, and three couples were
married at once. And two of the couples,
Ahiaham T. Casey and wife and Bennett N.
Maxey and wife, with Elihu Maxey and his
wife, newly married, and just back from
Tennessee, all settled in Sections 6 and 7 of
Mount Vernon Township. A. T. Casey's
wife was Yylinda Maxey. Bennett Maxey's
wife was Sally Overbay. raised by Edward
Maxey. but a daughter of James Overbay,
and sister to Carroll Overbay ; Coleman
Smith's wife, Joel Hai-low's, Fountain Jai -
rell's, Garland H. Jarrell's, James Mclntire's,

12



298



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



Green Duncan's, Thomas Blaloch's, and — we
believe that's all. Elihu Maxey's wife was
Evaline Taylor. Well, A. T. Casey settled
jnst north of where Windsor Pettit lives,
and remained there till his death in 1834,
and his family remained till old Mr. Lane
bought the place. Elihu Maxey settled north
of Casey, and south of where George Smith
lives, and lived there till he was killed in
October, 1853. Bennett Maxey settled a
mile east of Pleasant Grove, and lived there
till 184:6, when he died. These young
people, and Thomas Casey, just married to
Harriet Maxey, and settled over the Shiloh
line, made a good start in the world. They
had cabins, some had floors in their cabins,
some had pole bedsteads, and some slept on
board pens, filled with leaves, on the floor ;
but all had plenty, and were happy. Deer,
turkeys, bears, wolves and wild cats were
always handy ; and if there was no meat for
breakfast, the man would bid his wife wait a
few minutes, take do^n his gun, and directly
bring in the game.

Dr. John W. Watson came to Illinois in
1821, arriving November 21. He lived on
the Mulben-y Hill until the next spring,
when he, or rather John and Asa, built a
large crib on the place a mile north of town,
where he afterward lived. The crib had two
or three apartments, one for gi'ain, one for a
toolhouse, etc., and into one of these they
came and lived till a hickory log house coviild
be raised, the same that Thomas Hunt tore
down about twelve years ago. This year
(1822), the Doctor rented ground from John
Wilkerson near Union, and by the next he
had opened land of his own. He was the
first physician that was located in the county,
and in that day he paid well for his drugs.
An ounce of quinine that he got of Atwood,
in St. Louis, cost him $10.50, and an ounce
of veratrum that he got from Philadelphia,



$40. He was County Assessor in 1822 and
1823, when his fees amounted to $17, and
the whole revenue to $70. The home-
dressed fawn-skin cover that he or his boys
made for his Assessor's book is still preserved
in the Clerk's office. Mi's. Watson died
March 3, and the Doctor June 3, 1845. His
childi-en were John, who died in Virginia in
1803 ; Virginia, who was married to John
Summers in 1824; John H., who married
Betsy Rankin in 1827 ; William B. , who
married Margaret and afterward Sarah
Leonard ; Asa B., who married Diana Ham
in 1833 ; Joel F. , who is among us and well
known; Amelia, who died single, and Horry
M. , who married Minerva Cummins. Joel Pace
located on his farm adjoining Dr. Watson's
in 1823, as before stated, and there reared a
large family, lost his venerable companion in
1877, and himself died, in 1879, at the age
of eighty- eight years.

In 1822, William Hix — as he spelt it, and
Hicks as nearly everybody else spelt it —
located and made an improvement four miles
north of town. A man by the name of Lee
came aboat the same time, and they had a
little mill. Hix was related to Mrs. William
Casey ; what relation we cannot say, but she
called him " Cousin Billy." He and Will-
iam Casey and Joseph Jordan comjjosed the
second Board of County Commissioners. He
sold his improvement to Azariah Bruce in
the fall of 1823, and went to the " Western
District " in Tennessee. Aboat the same time
(1823), Jarvis Pierce, Sr. , formerly of New
York, came up from White County, and
moved into a cabin that stood south of the
Hinman or Strattan place, a mile west of
town. He was the father of Jarvis, Joseph
and Henry, Mrs. Eearden, Mi's. Tolle, Mrs.
Charles Mills; Mrs. Hick, afterward Mrs.
John Storms; Mrs. Summers and Mi's. Martin
Gillett. He did not stay long. Azariah



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



299



Bruce came in 1823, and succeeded William '
His on the Salem road, four miles north of
town. He was a native o^ Halifax County,
Ya. He went to Tennessee, and married a
Keelin in Wilson County. He served two
terms as County Commissioner, lost his wife
in July, 1853, and died himself in March,
1854. Of his children, Sally was married to
Hardy Maxey; Nancy, to Harvey Pace ;
Polly, to Jehu Maxey ; Betsy, to John Baiigh
now in Texas ; Armstead W. lives in Wayne
County ; Marquis, north of Rome, in this
county ; John, in Gallatin ; Leonard W., in
Webber, and Savanner in this township ;
Melissa died in youth ; Harmon died in
Wayne County in 1868. Next year, 1824,
John Summers, the Englishman whom Tun-
stall had brought from Shawneetown to ;
superintend his mill, and who had just mar-
ried Virginia Watson, bought Abram Casey
nut, and moved to the place two miles east of
town, where he lived so long. Here he built
a tread mill, and continued to improve it till
at last he had a very good steam mill. He
went to Texas, and died there. Of his de-
scendants, only William's family and Jack-
son's family are here now. William and
Jackson are dead, and Jackson's widow is the
wife of James Brown, of Field.

Aaron Yearwood came in December,
18'26. He was accompanied by his mother,
with her two sons, Joseph and Robert, and
by his brother William. With William came



his wife's sister Betsy, now Mrs. Watson. The
father of these ladies, Robert Rankin, Sr.,
came a year or so later, and after a short
stay, went to Shelby County, but left here
his son Robert and Mrs. Robert Yearwood.
Old Mrs. Yearwood' B husband's name was
Frederic ; she herself died in 1847. The
next fall after Aaron's arrival, 1827, James
SiU'sa, whose wife was sister to his wife and
to Ward Webber, came out with his brother
Jack Sursa. These men and one daughter were
the children of Richard Sursa, who died in
the war of 1812. Benjamin Webber came
with the Yearwoods, married a Wilkerson,
and settled at the Jordan or Coley Smith
place on Seven Mile Creek. Ward Webber
and John came three years later, 1829, the
latter settling in the edge of Wayne County,
while Ward located where Daniel Barfield
afterward lived. Daniel was step sou to
James Sursa. About the same time, 1829,
William Byers came to the place still known
as the " Old Byers place." Mrs. Byers —
"Aunt Nancy" — was sister to old Mr. Year-
wood. Byers had a daughter already married
to Joseph Brown. Pete Bruce, or Armstead
W. and Moses Baugh, took one each, and the
last girl (we suppose, not finding a B. to
suit her) was married to Fountain Garrison.
He and James Garrison came in 1827, and
James died of small -pox a few years ago.
James married a Wimberley ; in two or three
years after coming out, F. died.



300



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



CHAPTER IV.*



CITY OF MOUNT VEHNON— THE DECADE FROM 1830 TO 1840— GROWTH OF THE TOWN— NEW BUILD-
INGS AND NEW BUSINESS— A LOOK BEYOND THE TOWN— BRIEF RETROSPECT— ANOTHER COURT
HOUSE— SOME OF THE BUSINESS MEN AND WHAT THEY DID— STILL ANOTHER COURT
HOUSE— THE JAIL— ORGANIZATION OF MOUNT VERNON TOWNSHIP— OFFICIALS, ETC.



" What is the city but tlie people?

True, the people are the city." — Shakespeare.

AS early as any of these, perhaps in 1825,



Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 37 of 76)