William Henry Perrin.

History of Jefferson County, Illinois online

. (page 42 of 76)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 42 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


vey. It was made May 21, 186S. Then in
the same year, August 3. S. K. Casey's Sec-
ond Addition was surveyed. It lies entirely
west and north of the Supreme Court Irjt,
beginning sisty feet west and sixty feet
north of the northwest corner of it. It con-
sists of two tiers of large lots, its lots being



numbered from 1 to 9. The town now
reached as far west as the depot south of the
railroad, and as far as the west line of Bell's
and Goodale's lots, etc., north of the raih'oad.

The pendulum of improvement now swings
to the east, and A. M. Strattan opens up
Strattan's Addition. May 7, 1869. This is
on the same tract with Green's Second, that
is. the southwest quarter of the southeast quar-
ter of Section 29, Town 2, Range 3. The
Yearwoods ovmed eighteen rods off the
east side, and Strattan had bought a strip
west of theirs, 5.235 chains wide, and
sold an acre off the south end to Fitch; on
the rest he laid out his addition. But
it is described as beginning at .a point
fifteen feet south and 176 feet west of the
northeast corner of the southwest quar-
ter of the southeast quarter of Section
29, thus lapping over on to the Tear-
woods 121 feet A recent deed from Dr.
Green, however, corrects this error. This
addition contains four lots. Rynd L. Sti'at-
tan put a good house and iiarn on No. 1, now
owned by Dawson, and the rest are unim •
proved. In fact, the Sti-attans have sold two
strips, fifty and twenty feet, off the east side
of Lot No. -i, and what is left is two feet
eight inches wide by 630 feet long.

Then the pendulum swings back to the
west, and S. K. Casey's Third .Addition is
thrown open. It was surveyed by John A.
Garber, civil engineer. January 25, 1870.
It includes seven blocks, on both sides of
the railroad, north of Bunyan street or the
Ashley road, and lies just within the western
limits of the city, extending to Bogan street.
It is there, and seems to be well fastened
down with stakes and things, but it's hard to
tell how it got there, for Garber located it on
the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter
of Section 30. Town 2. Range 3, about where
the big pond is. Then it swung back to the



330



HISTORY OF JEFFKRSON COUNTY.



east— the pendulum— and Varnell's First
Addition was the result. Varnell owned the
south half of the northwest quarter of the
southeast quarter of Section 29, and Novem-
ber 24, 1870, he laid out about half of it
along the Fairfield road — or Main street —
into lots, in three blocks. It is ninety feet
seven inches, widest at the east end.

The improvement now swings round to the
south. First, Green's Second Addition,
January 4, 1871, took in or let out all he
had left of the southwest quarter of the
southeast quarter of Section 29. The Doc-
tor seldom did things by littles — don't think
he ever gave a quit-claim deed, but always
a warranty. ) There are nine blocks, only
the first four being laid out in lots; all the
rest fronted on the Fair Ground road. But
the demand for lots was such that September
18, 1871, he divided Block 5 and the south
part of Block 6 into lots. This is Green's Di-
vision, etc. He had sold 300 feet off the north
end of Block 6 to the Lowrys. This Second
Addition is bounded on the east by Lee ave-
nue and the east line of the tract, on the
west by Park avenue, and divided in the mid-
dle by Lee avenue. Next, Augixst 10, 1871,
George S. Winslow throws over seventy-five
acres of lots into the market in Winslow' s
Addition. It occupied the northwest quarter
of the northeast quarter and all of the north-
east quarter of the northwest quarter, except
four and one -half acres ofi" the south side of
Section 32. Its avenues ran east and west,
Casey, Opdyke, Castleton, Walnut and New-
by; its streets, Temple, Water and Sum-
mer, north and south. It had 224 lots and
no blocks. Lot No. 222, including the ma-
chine shop grounds. But afterward, Decem-
ber 22, 1S77, Lots 1 to 166 were vacated,
except Lot No. 128, being all of the north-
west quarter of the northeast quarter of Sec-
tion 32, except one lot. Still swinging



around, we ne> see Newby's Second Addi-
tion, August 29, 1871.

It is more definitely located than his first,
beffinnino- at the northwest corner of the
southeast quarter of the northwest quarter of
Section 32, running north 140 feet, east 714
feet, south 492 feet, west 714 feet, and north
322 feet. All lies south of the shops, at the
extreme south end of town Then, Novem-
ber 14, 1871, John Liebundgut lays out an
addition, west of Winslow's, on ten acres
north of the railroad, bought of Joel Face.
This addition lies on both sides of the south
end of Washington street. It vas part of
the northwest quarter of the noj jwest quar-
ter of Section 32, extending south 407 feet
and west 633 feet, from the northeast cor-
ner.

But there is still a demand 1 Jots in the
east; so, August 8, 1872, De 's Addition
begins. John Yearwood had, I'ebruary 18,
1865, sold thirty-one rods eight links off the
south end of his five acres, eighteen rods wide,
to Joe; the next October Joe sold it to Bob,
and in June, 1868. Bob sold the west half of it
to Eussel Dewy. Dewy, then, April 20, 1870,
bought fifty feet off the east side of Lot 4,
Strattan's Addition, to give hira an outlet to
Main street. He then laid out his addition, as
above stated. This addition, according to the
recorded survey, has these impossible bound-
aries: Beginning 255 feet south and nine rods
west of the northeast corner of the southwest
quarter of the southeast quarter of Section
29, Town 2, Range 3, running south 301 feet,
west 19Si feet, north 595 feet, east fifty feet,
south 234 feet, east ISSi feet, to beginning.
There are nine lots, 1 and 2 reaching for
Main street, the rest lying east and west.
Then, April 22, 1873, Varnell lays out his
Second Addition, covering the rest of his
twenty-acre tract. There is one tier of lots
in three blocks, reaching across the north-



iX'r



V,7




'Mf




LIBRARY

OF THE

UNIVERSITY OF ILUNOIS



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



333



west quarter of the southeast quarter of Sec-
tion 29. This and Dewey's were surveyed by
B. C. Wells. With these additions the dis-
position to go east seems to have been ex-
hausted, and the movement has since been
in the opposite direction.

May 14, 1874, Fry's Addition of twenty-
two lots is surveyed, with First street on the
east and Franklin street on the we.st. This
street, of course, was named in honor of
Franklin S. Casey, Z. A. Fry's father-in-law.
This addition occupies the east part of the
south half of the northeast quarter of the
northeast quarter of Section 31. April 26,
1875, John J. Casey's Addition was surveyed
by S. C. Polk. John had inherited six acres
west of S. K. Casey's First Addition and of
Fifth street, extending fi'om the Ashley road
siiuth w the south line of Section 30, and
about six and one-third chains in width.
This he laid out into five lots, one west of
Edge wood street and four east of it. in a
few years. Buck Casey bought the foui' east
lots, and February 25, 1878, had them cut
up into twenty-six lots, under the name of
William B. Casey's Subdivision. December
I. 1876, Noah Johnston's Addition was sur-
veyed. It differs from all other additious,
It has no streati, no alleys, and each lot is
totally unlike the rest in both shape and di-
mensions. It is an irregular triangle, bounded
by the section line between Sections 29 and
30 an the east and the Carlyle road on the
southwest. There are four lots; No. 1 is a
small wedge, while No. 4 has 600 feet front
on the road and the same on its north or
northwest line, and over 700 on the east.
No. 4 is the Major's home, and his " cabin"
ha-; been there fifty years. William T.
Pace's Addition, January 20, 1877, is the
last "Harvey Pace's meadow," in the north-
west quarter of the northwest quarter of
Section 32, was a well-known held for many



a long year. When its owner died, his
heirs, in making a division of his estate,
found it convenient to convey this tract to
William T. Pace, a grandson, and have him
cut it up into lots and re-convey to each as
might be agreeable. It contains six blocks,
three on each side of Casey street, with two
east and west avenues — the northern Pace
avenue; the southern, Virginia.

xis a result of all these surveys, Mount
Vernon has about 500 acres now laid out
into 875 lots, of which about 490 are im-
proved and 385 unimproved.

Municipal Government. — The effort to in-
corporate Mount Vernon was made in 1837.
At that time the statute required a popula-
tion of 150 to entitle towns to be incorpo-
rated, 80 an act was passed to enable Mount
Vernon, Mount Salem and Carlyle to incor-
porate without the requisite population un-
der the general law. But the records of the
town are now lost and few of its officers re-
main. The government continued for nearly
ten years before it faded out and had to be
renewed. Theu it ran on for nearly twenty
years longer before it had to be sent to the
renovator again. See below. It generally
appeared in feeble health, but in 1853, when
Capt. Newby tried the experiment of starting
a saloon on South Union street without its
authority, he found it was still alive. At the
end of six months, he had to move out.
John Johnson, William Edwards, A. Melcher
and D. Baugh were members of the old
board for years; we understand there were
not many third termers in the later board.

May 2, 1804, a meeting of the citizens was
held to decide whether or not they would be
incorporated under the general law. R. W.
Lyon was President and A. N. Pace Secre-
tary of the meeting. A vote was taken and
was unanimously in favor of the propo.-iitiou
— 82 to 0. On the 17th of the same month,



334



HISTOKY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



an election for Trustees was held, and among
nearly twenty candidates, the five who re-
ceived the highest votes were T. B. Tanner,
83; Thomas H. Hobbs, 64; Harvey T. Pace,
64; J. J. Holloman, 62; J. R. Satterlield,
61. John H. Pace receivod 60 votes for
Police Magistrate, D. C. "Warren, with 24.
being the nest highest man. The Trustees
were sworn in by J. S. Bogan June 13,
1864, and the board was ready for busine.ss.
Most of this, however, was routine business,
and not much to note, except the annual
struggle on the license question, which we
may consider under the head of temperance
movements.

In 1872, Mount Vernon became a city un-
der the general law respecting cities and vil-
lages. The last Board of Trustees was "Wal-
ter E. Carlin, President; John N. Satter-
field, Clerk; and James D. Johnson, Russell
Dewy, Newton C. Pace and William E.
Jackson, Trustees. The following is a list of
the Mayors and Aldermen under the city
government:

1872 — J. M. Pace, Mayor; T. Hansacker,
T. H. Hobbs, A. Smart, J. J. Bambrook, Al-
dermen. W. D. Watson succeeded Smart in
the fall. Four wards and four Aldermen.

1873— N. C. Pace, Mayor; H. W. Seimer,
R. Dewey, C. A. Loomis, J. R. Allen, S. S.
Porter and J. J. Bambrook, Aldermen. Three
wards and six Aldermen.

1874 — N. C. Pace, Mayor; James Guthrie,
H. "W. Seimer, J. Taylor, C. A. Loomis, Silas
Downer and H. Davisson, Aldermen. J. Bam-
brook succeeded Downer, moved out of city.

1875— G. H. Varnell, Mayor; J. Taylor,
James Guthrie, C. A. Lnomis, J. A. Clinton,
J. J. Bambrook and H. A. Baker, Aldermen.

1876— G. H. Varnell, Mayor; H. A. Baker,
J. J. Bambrook, J. A. Clintiin, D. B. Good-
rich, C. A Loomis and N. C. Pace, Alder-
men. In September, R. L. Strattan ap-
peared as successor to Baker.



1877— G. H. Varnell, Mayor; J. J. Bam-
brook, J. A. Clinton, J. B. Crowder, D. B.
Goodi-ich, N. C. Pace and R L. Strattan,
Aldermen.

1878— G. H. Varnell, Mayor; J. J. Bam-
brook, J. A. Clinton, J. B. Crowder, D. B.
Goodi-ich, Alexander Smart and R. L. Strat-
tan, Aldermen.

1879 -G. H. Varnell, Mayor; D. B. Good-
rich, J. D. Johnson, J. A. Clinton, A. Smart,
H. W. Preston, G. W. Yost, Aldermen.
Johnson soon moved out of his ward and was
succeeded by M. M. Goodale; then Goodrich
moved out and was succeeded by C. D. Ham.

188()-G. H. Varnell, Mayor; M. M. Good-
iile, C. D. Ham, W. A. Keller, H. W. Preston,
S. T. Strattan and G. W. Yost, Aldermen.

1881— G. H. Varnell, Mayor; J. R. Allen,
R. Dewy, C. D. Ham, John Gibson, S. T.
Strattan and "W. Barg Casey, Aldermen.

1882— G. H. Vai-uell, Mayor; J. R. Al-
len, R. Dewey, John Gibson, M. M. Goodale,
A. W. Plummer and A. M. Strattan, Aldermen.

1883— H. S. Plummer, Mayor; M. M.
Goodale, W. T. Goodrich, R. Dewy, A. W.
Plummer, A. M. Strattau and Q. F. M.
Ward, Aldermen.

Peter Brown has been City Clerk ever
since 1873.

The City Marshals were E. J. Watson in
1872: S. D. Cooper in 1873; J. R Guthrie,
1877; L F. Hamlin, 1878; F. W. Fiy, 1878;
T. J. Casey, 1879; R. A. Smith. 1880; and'
C. C. Satteraeld, 1882.

The Police Magistrates were John H. Pace,
1872; James M. Pace, 1874; J. \V. Bauo;h,
1876; Wesley Yost, 1880.

The City Attorneys were T. T. Wilson,
1872; E. V. Satterlield, 1875; T. T. Wilson,
1877; S. Laird. 1879; Albert Watson, 1881;
and W. H. Green, 1881.

The Street Commissioners were W. D.
Edgington in 1874; John Maloney, in 1878;
and in 1882, G. W. Johnson.



HISTORY OF JEFFEUSON COUNTY-



335



CHAPTER VII.*



MOUNT VERNON— TEMPERANCE MOVEMENTS— THEIR GOOD WORK IN THE COMMUNITY— VILLAGE
OP EAST MOUNT VERNON— MYSTIC ORDERS— MASONS, ODD FELLOAVS, ETC.— MISCEL-
LANEOUS— WHICH COMPRISES FIRES, FIRE DEPARTMENT AND MANY
OTHER LOCAL ITEMS— BIRTHS, DEATHS, ETC., ETC.



"Finis coronal opus." — Shukespeare.

AS the temperance movement has been
one of the most important factors in
our public life, it will not be amiss to give
it considerable space in these pages.

The first temperance organization iii the
county was the " Mount Vernon Temperance
Society," organized in March, 1832. The
basis of their action was this preliminary
resolution :

" Refiolivd, That the meeting proceed to
form a temperance society, provided they can
form a constitution that shall be free from
all sectarian taint and shall be liberal in all
its provisions."

The pledge was couched in Article II of
the Constitution, as follows: "The members
of this society mutually agree to abstain
from the use of ardent spirits only in cases
of necessity, and they further agree to use
their influence in every mild and prudent way
with others for the same piu-pose." It will be
seen th&t this language is very ambiguous, but
everybody understood that signing the pledge
meant temperance.

Their annual meetings were to be held in
September, with other meetings at the call
of the President or two Managers, As they
were all akin to us, I have a mind to give
the whole outfit: John Baugh was President;
Samuel E. Goodrich, Vice President; Joel

• By Dr. A. Clark Johoson.



Pace, Secretary; Joseph Pace, Abraham T.
Casey, Samuel Cummins and William Cris-
well, Managers. The members gathered
from the whole country during the year were
Zadok Casey, Joel Pace, Abraham M.
Knapp, Lewis Johnson, John Baugh, Jos-
eph Pace, William Criswell, Samuel Cum-
mins, Edward Maxey, John Maxey, John
Milburn, James Overbay, Abraham Bnffing-
ton, Spencer Pace, Isaac Casey James G.
Bruce, Edward King, Abraham T. Casey.
Bennett N. Maxey, Charles H. Maxey,
Thomas M. Casey, Samuel E Goodrich,
Abel Overbay, Harvey T. Pace, Nathan Good-
rich, James Tally, David Little, Polly Baugh.
John Parker, Margaret Butfington, Jane
Buffington, Susan Buffington, Jonathan
Wells, Rhodam Allen, James A. Brown.
John Hudlow, John C. Casey, James Dodds,
H. J. Scott, Nathaniel Parker, Philip
Buffington, Ann Anderson. Margaret Ander-
son, Martha Anderson, Caroline Anderson,
Pamela Pace, Asabel Bateman, Sofronia
Scott, Jerusha Wells, Keziah Scott, Sarah
Scott, Scynthia Scott, Mary Knapp, Rebecca
W ilkerson, LittlemanWells, Phebu Pace, Mary
Wilkerson, Mary Atwood, Patsy Goodrich,
Calendar Goodrich, Robert Goodrich, Mar-
anda Goodrich, Elgelina Goodrich, Ai-milda
Goodrich, Henry Goodrich, Mary Goodrich,
Jehu Scott, Downing Baugh, Milly Baugh,
Mary Pace, Elihu Maxey, Loyd Buffington,



336



HISTORY OF JEFFERSO]^ COUNTY.



William Maxey, Wallace Caldwell, Samuel
W. Carpenter. George Johnston, Goodman
Elkins, Ananias Elkins. Henry B. Maxey,
Jehu G. D. Maxey, Robert Maxwell, Will-
iam M. A. Maxey, Henry Tyler, James John-
son, Lewis Johnson, Jr., John N. Johnson,
William F. Johnson, Matthew M. Taylor,
William Wells, Eeubeu S. Crosuo, Green
B. Wells, John Tyler, Russell Tyler, Benja-
min Patterson, Azariah Bruce, John Baugh,
Jr., Allen Hunt, Marcus Bruce, John Bruce.
Sarah Maxwell, Sarah Tyler, Rhoda Casey,
Hannah Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor. Nancy
Roland, Delia Hunt. Folly A. Maxey, Vy-
linda Casey, Milla Carpenter, Elizabeth
Bruce, Eddy Maxey. Theodore Masey, Har-
riet Casey, Rhoda Overbay, Elizabeth Casey,
Catharine Tyler, Clarissa Johnson, Patsy
Johnson, Emily Johnson, Elizabeth Johnson,
Susan Maxey, Catherine Maiey, Luciuda
Allen, Polly Crosno, Rachel Crosno, Sally
Crosno, Mary Maxey, Elizabeth Wells.
Lucinda Overbay, Patsy Bruce, Elizabeth
Baugh. Emily Baugh, Sarah Maxey, Jarvis
Pierce, Peter Bingaman, -John M. Pace, Joab
Peterson, Nancy Pace, E. H. Ridgway, Sarah
Maxey. Nancy Johnson, Ransom Moss, Su-
sannah Johnson, H. Bingaman, William
Bingaman, John E. McBryau. Margaret E.
Black. Joel Harlow, James Carroll. Green
Depriest. Robert Elkins, Daniel G. Anderson,
John M Lane. William Hicks, Solomon God-
dard, Gazaway Elkins and Robert Yearwood.
At the first meetings of this society Gov.
Casey was the chief speaker. Dr. J. S.
Moore came in the fall of 1833 and took a
very active hand, as did Rev. John Johnson,
who came in from Kentucky in the fall of
1834. The impulse was sustained by the ar-
rival of Rev. John Van Cleve as Presiding
Elder the next year. But it was such a
sweeping revival that a lull followed; yet a
new constitution was drawn up, and under



the name of the Jefferson County Temper
unce Society, met on the 4th of July, and
sometimes oftener. Among the Presidents
were John Baugh, Sr., Edward Masey. Jos-
eph Pace, Downing Baugh, Arba Andrews
and John Johnson. The record of this so-
ciety, preserved in the archives of the Pio-
neer Association, extends to 1840.

Another record in the same archives begins
the story of a new society, January 25, 1842,
under the old name, Jefferson County Tem-
perance Society. Judge ^Scates was one of
the leading spirits. James Kirby was Chair-
man and H. T. Pace Secretary of the first
meeting. The pledge was simply an agree-
ment not to use intoxicating liquors as a bev-
erage, nor trafiic in them, nor provide them
for others, etc. The record runs over four
years, to June, 1846, and contains over 300
names of persons subscribing the pledge.
During this period, the Presidents were
James Kii'by, John Johnson, W. J. Stephen-
son and Joel F. Watson; the Secretaries
were H. T. Pace and J. R. Satterfield.
During the existence of the society, it brought
out some good speakers, as Johnson Pierson,
Samuel D. Marshall, John Moore (afterward
Governor), Rev. R. H. Moffit, Dr. J. C. Gray
and S. S. Hayes— all in 1842; Edward
Jones, W. B. Scates, R. F. Wingate, Mr.
Kittinger, of Alton, Dr. Roe, of Shawneetown,
in 1843; John Dougherty in 1844. In 1843,
the speakers at their 4th of July meeting, all
selected from the academy, were James M.
Pace, Wesley Johnson, Charles T. Pace and
Thomas S. Casey. I have half a mind to
give the names of a few of those who appear
as signers on the later lists — up to 1846:
but perhaps it would only make some of us
ashamed of ourselves — of oui-selves in con-
trast with our fathers and mothers, or of
ourselves now in contrast with what we were
then, so we forbear.



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



337



For several years after 1846, the temper-
ance societies were short-lived, and tem-
perance meetings vpere held at iiTegular in-
tervals. But about the year 1855. and large-
ly throiigh the influence of Judge Scates and
Prof. Leaton. a division of the Sons of Tem-
perance was organized and a section of the
Cadets. These flourished a few years with
the usual routine of initiations and expul-
sions, installations, public meetings and pro-
cessions, till the novelty wore off and inter-
est began to fail; then the whole machine
went to pieces. But it soon revived again
under a different form — the Good Templars
— and in this form subsisted till after the
war. The war which destroyed slavery and at
the same time nearly everything of any value
in our social fabric, sowed the seeds of de-
struction in the Good Templars' organization.
It was agreed that every member should be
"good OD the books" as long as he was in the
army, whether he paid dues or not. After
the war, some complained of not having been
treated properly, a division arose, and a
part of the lodge seceded. It culminated
thus in the winter of 1868-69. McClure
and Williamson, with Hill — a new man, but
for temperance all over — started the Sons of
Temperance again in that modiiied form
which admitted both sexes, and the Good
Templars, having lost this distinguishing ad-
vantage, went under — no, come to think,
most that went anywhere, went over to the
new organization. This went on til) some
of the most zealous got married, when it be-
gan to wane, and finally went out.

But still the friends of temperance were
moderately active. Many of them were bus
iness men, and afraid of offending good cus-
tomers; some were hoping one day to get
office, and, ot course, had to be cautious;
and some were weak-kneed on general prin-
ciples. Yet every winter, or just before the



city election in spring, at the latest, they got
lecturers from a distance' and got up more
or less rousement. G. W. Hughey, Col.
C ampbell and Miss Frances E. Willard were
chief among them. In the winter of 1878-
79, Col. Campbell carried the town away, and
the blue ribbons met the eye everywhere.
Everybody wore them, whether they quit
drinking or not; in one ward, a new convert
beat the most staid old temperance man in
town for Alderman. But all that goes u]>
has to come down, and in due time down
came the blue ribbon.

Soon after the spring Rlection, however,
Miss Willard and Mrs. Anderson came and
began work in a different way. Miss Willard
lectured and left the same night; but Mrs.
Anderson remained to organize a branch of
the Lwd'^s Christian Temperance Union.
This was done May 22. 1879. The original
officers were: President, Mrs. Sarah A. Gray:
Vice Presidents, Mrs. Sue A. Pace and Mrs.
Louisa Bogan; Recording Secretary, Mrs.
(G. W.) Morgan; Corresponding Secretary,
Mrs. Mary S. Pace; Treasurer, Mrs. Marga-
ret A. Johnson. This organization proved to
have the requisite amount of vitality, and is
still vigorously at work. They circulate
temperance documents, sometimes hold jubi-
lee meetings, and every week have some-
thing sound and sensible to say in their own
special column in each one of our county
papers.

To other temperance societies, reference is
made elsewhere. We must not omit to men-
tion, however, the time when the city fa
thers agreed to license saloiins for $1,000
each, if a majority of all persons of twenty-
one years said so. The women voted, and
about 530 said no, while only about sixty
said yes. By such and various efforts, Mount
Vernon waft made for ten years a temperance
town. But last spring, by the help of St.



338



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



Louis, Belleville and East Mount Vernon, the
whisky element prevailed and elected a Mayor
and a majority of the Aldermen. It is biit
due to the reputation of our town, as well as
to the truth of histoiy,to say that only about
ten per cent of the whisky party were per-
manent residents, owning their hc>mes and
interested in the real welfare of the town.
Nine-tenths of the solid men of the town
were opposed to saloons, and seeing the
amount of dninkenness increased twofold by
the saloons has made them more so.

The Village of East Mount Vernon. — This
settlement or village grow out of the whisky
contest. In 1859, as before stated, Dr. Green
sold five acres, being a strip eighteen rods
wide and about forty-four rods long,
off the east side of the southwest quarter
of the southeast quarter of Section
29, to John Yearwood. .John started a
grocery on his purchase and sold lots to Joe
and others, and thus sprang up what was
called Yearwood Town. John sold his gro-
cery to some one else and started a gunshop,



Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 42 of 76)