William Henry Perrin.

History of Jefferson County, Illinois online

. (page 43 of 76)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 43 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and this added to its importance. At length,
tired of getting along without any saloons
in town, as above stated, it occurred to some
admirers of the institution that if they had
a village organization, they might have a sa-
loon there, even though it were within the
interdicted distance of the city. Of course,
many went into the project with no thought
but of the advantages of a separate govern
ment in the way of internal imjjrovements.

At the May term, 1877, May 24, "the peti-
tion of Robert A. Yearwood, John Liebund-
gutand Samuel Laird for the organization,"
etc., came into the County Court in due
form. The village was to be eighty rods
wide along the east line of the city limits,
one mile north and south, including part of
the west half of the northeast quarter, part of
the west half of the southeast quarter, part of



the east half of the northeast quarter, and part
of the east half of the southeast quarter of Sec-
tion 29, and part of the west half of the
northeast quarter, and part of the east half of
the northeast quarter of Section 32, 160 acres.
The petition was signed by thirty-three per-
sons. An election was ordered for June 12,
1877; W. H. Newcum, Robert A. Yearwood
and William Hall were appointed Judges,
and G. B. Leonard and Thomas H. Goodwin
Clerks. The result was twenty-six for vil-
lage organization, one against. From the re-
turns it appears that the Judges who actually
held the election were James Webber, George
Beagle and John Yearwood, and the Clerks
W. H. Hinman and Peter Brown — not exact-
ly the Board that Judge Foster appointed.
At the June term of the County Court, the
case was docketed "No. 11," but the whole
page is blank. At the July term, it is again
docketed " No. 17, " and the case stated as
"canvass of election return," and all is blank
again — no order or semblance of one — not
one word. But an election for officers was
held July 10, 1877, whenT. H. Goodwin was
elected Police Magistrate, and J. William
Leonard. William Randall, William Hall,
William B. Wright, William H. Newcum and
John Yearwood, Trustees; and William
Goodwin, Clerk. July 17, the Williams — we
mean the Trustees — met, organized and
adopted thirty-three ordinances. Everything
went nicely for awhile, the best elements
controlling the business; a street was opened
east of Strattan's Addition, walks were built
and all seemed orderly and in good shape.

But the saloons produced their legitimate
fruit. Hinman & Hutchison kept as good a
house as can be of the kind, honestly trying
to keep from violating the law; but those on
the south side seemed to go on from bad to
worse, till at length, in 1880, Mr. Thomas
Caborn concluded that he would endure them



HISTORY OF JEFFKKSON COUNTY.



339



no longer. So, at the May term of the
Circuit Court, Keller & Ctarpenter commenced
a suit — People ex rel. Caborn vs. Satterfield,
County Clerk and the Village of East Mount
Veriion — in an action of certiorari. This
suit was dismissed at the cost of the peti-
tioner. Before court adjourned, however,
the suit was revived as an action quo war-
ranto, a change of venue asked and cause
continued till it could be tried before a
Judge not objected to — Judge Jones. At the
December term, a trial was had and judgment
of ouster obtained, Conger, Presiding Judge,
and an appeal granted. In the Appellate
Court, the defendants got a continuance, and
at next term dismissed their appeal. It then
came up in the Circuit Court under " Motion
to .4.mend and CoiTeet Record of Judgment, "
before Judge Jones. At this time the court
declared they had assumed to act and had
acted as Trustees without legal authoriza-
tion, and ordered a writ of ouster against
the defendants and their successors. Aa ap-
peal was again allowed and bond tiled; but
it went no further, the village had money
enough to pay its lawyers, did this, and quit.
So people often do in divorce suits — pay no
body bat their lawyer. It may be well to
state that the grounds for ouster were that
the village never had 300 inhabitants, that
some of the petitioners were non-residents,
that one was a woman, that the first election
was illegal and that the record showed no
canvass of the vote.

The fall of East Mount Vernon brought
all the whisky forces into the city election
last spring and helped to carry the whisky
ticket through.

Mystic Orders. — Marion Lodge, No. 13, I.
O. O. F., was organized April 30, .1845.
The charter members were John W. Greet
ham, James B. Tolle, Thomas Metsler, Hen-
ry Wood and William White. Besides other



accessions, Dr. W. D. Green came in the fol
lowing year and contributed much '^o give
the order character, vim and success. Never
was a better worker than Mr. Tolle, but he
was less eminent than the Doctor, who rap-
idly rose to the position of presiding oiBcer
of the Grand Lodge of the State. Daniel
Baltzell was another important accession, a
man of rugged mold, but kind and gener-
ous, one of nature's noblemen. But we can-
not now mention other names in our limited
space. In 1849, May 21, Gov. Casey do
nated a lot — No. 28 of his addition — for a
hall, conveying it to Daniel Baltzell, Lewis
F. Casey, John N. Johnson, Hezekiah B.
Newby and William B. Thorn, Trustees,
and tboir successors in office. Here the
lodge at once proceeded to erect a building,
now known as the " old Odd Fellows Hall."
Here they celebrated their mystic rites and
cfevised their works of charity for nearly
thirty years without accumlating much
wealth in their treasury. But at length,

, they bought a lot off the south end of

Lot 28, Block 17, and proceeded to erect
their present splendid hall, at a cost of over
$6,000. It proved a good investment, as
the building is already paid for, the lodge is
out of debt and has about $500 in the treas-
ury, with about 100 members.

Jefferson Encampment, No. 91, was organ-
ized October 13, 1868. The charter mem-
bers were J. K. Albright, R. L. Strattan,J. S.
Bogan, G. E. Welborn, T. H. McBride, J. B.
Tolle, W. D. Green, J. G. Rease, G. C.
Vaughn and J. F. Carroll.

Lodge No. 104, Independent Order of
Mutual Aid, was instituted December
14, and chartered December 27, 1880.
Its charter members were H. S. Plum-
mer, J. H. Mitchell, R. W. Lyon, Ju-
lian L. Frohock, G. F. M. Ward, J. F. Balt-
zell, F. S. Burnett, R. E. Ryan, G. H. Bitt



840



HISTORl' OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



rolf, W. A. Jewell. J. S. Gowenlock, V. G.
Haag, T. H. Goodwin, J. T. Daily, H. Bur-
ger. J. H. Rainey. F. W. Hwman, J. W.
Cochran, J. J. Stern and V. Lippert. Of
course, the two last named organizations met
in Odd Fellows Hall.

Iron Hall, No. 68. was organized a few
years ago. This also meets in the Odd Fel-
lows Hall. Its charter members were J. S.
Bogan, W. B. Anderson, W. M. White, N.
Staate, W. V. B. Bogan, E. Iddinge, W. J.
Levall, M. O'Connor. A. L. Hobbs, Joseph
Boswell, S. Rupert. J. W. Morgan, A. A.
Hamilton, J. M. Davis, F. D. Boswell, W.
S. Davis. V. G. Haag, W. D. Rogers. W. H.
Herdman. R. Dewy, J. H. Mitchell, W. A.
Jones, Peter Brown, N. H. Moss, Joseph
Hudson, W. H. Smith. J. T. Daily, T. H.
Goodwin. N. C. Malone, R. P. Moyer, T. H.
Hobbs, B. C. Strattan, C. W. Lindley and
AVilliam Blythe.

Mount Vernon Lodge, No. 186, A. O. D.
W., began June 14. 1881. and meet.'? in the
Odd Fellows Hall. Its first officers were
William J. Ellis, P. M. W. ; C. A. Keller,
M. W. ; W. C. Pollock, G. F.: William A.
Goodwin, O.; N. Staats, Recorder; George
W. Reid, F. & R. : Van Wilbanks. G.; J.
T. S. Brattin, I. W. ; and William B. Hawk-
ins. O. W.

Mount Vernon Council, No. 7. R. T. of T.,
was instituted Jannary 17, and chartered
January 23, 1880. Its first officers were,
C. A. Keller, S. C. ; S. C. Polk, V. C; W.
N. White, P. C. ; Adam C. Johnson, Chap-
lain; C. W. Lindley, Recording Secretary;
A. Ransom Merrill, Financial Secretary;
John C. Bray, Treasurer; James Hitchcock,
Her'd: Mrs. Annie E. Hitchcock, Deputy
Her'd; John A. Greenhoe. G. : William D.
Rogers, Sentry; Dr. W. Watson, Medical
Examiner. There were forty-two charter
members. The council meets in the old Odd



Fellows Hall. This society has demon-
strated that the average toper will drink if
he knows the drink will cost his needy fami-
ly !$2,000.

Coleman Post, G. A. R., of the Department
of Illinois, was organized by Department
Commander H. Hilliard. of Springfield, .July
26, 1876, with about forty members. Its
officers were Frederick D. Boswell, Post
Commander; William Randall, Senior Vice
Com.; J. A Phillips, Junior Vice Com.; T.
H. Goodwin. Adjutant; John B. Crowder,
Quartermaster; H. S. Plummer. Surgeon; C.
E. Cline. Chaplain; D. K. Goodale, Officer
of the Day; A. J. Williamson, Officer of the
Guard; C. C. McBryant, Sergeant Major; J.
W. PhillijM, Quartermaster Sergeant. Its
meetings were held in the old Odd Fellows
Hall. A year or so since, the attendance
became so small that the burden of expense
fell heavily on a few. and they paid up the
rents and suspended their meetings. In the
meantime, the higher powers have changed
the work, and the post is not prepared to
take it up; but recently it has received a
permit to get the new work and go on, and
it is now waiting till a sufficient number can
be got together to take it up.

K. of H. Lodge. No. 683, was organized
September 3, 1878. The chai'ter members
were S. F. Crews, "U". H. Smith, li. B. Salis-
bury, D. Sturgis, C. W. Lindley, S. C. Polk,
R. L. Strattan. C. Zier jacks, J. G. Brunner,
James Owen. C. H. Patton, J. C. Dawson,
E. E. Hazzard, James Hitchcock, T. H. Good-
win, William Hill, Frank Smith, John
Stumpp and Jacob Smith.

Jefferson Division, No. 154, Brotherhood
of Locomotive Engineers, was chartered Au-
gust 19, 1882.

Evening Star Lodge, No. 112, Brother-
hood of Locomotive Firemen, was char-
tered July 2, 1882. The charter mem-



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



341



bers were A. J. Randall, "W. N. Han-
sacker, P. C. Johnson, J. Murphy, R. L.
Bracy, B. W. Vawter, C. Joyce, J. G. Bos-
well, T. Lancey, T. F. Thixton, J. C. Bran-
ham, F. C. Wyard, A. D. Isom, Daniel
Messitt, James W. Bui-ns, I. T. Cavr, Will-
iam Stephenson, A. Vogt, F. P. Nance, T.
H. Buckley. J. Melton, T. E. Peck, R. W.
Lindley, Harry Laswell, J. M. Covington,
C. O. Simms and Bruce Rawsun. The last
three orders meet in the Masonic Hall.

Mount Vernon Lodge, No. 31. A. F. & A.
M., is nearly as old as Marion Lodge I. O.
O. F. The charter is signed bj W. F. Wal-
ker. G. M., and is dated at Jacksonville,
October 9, 1845. It is granted to William
W. Bennett. M. ; W. A. Thomas, S. W. ; and
^V. H. Short. J. W. It goes without saying
that this ancient order has grown more gi-ad-
uallv than the others. At first the)' met.
like everybody else in those days, where
they could. Their first hall, entitled to the
name, was in the room over the store of J.
Pace & Son, corner of Main and Union
streets. This they occupied till the Strattan
& Johnson building was erected, at the cor-
ner of Washington and Bunyan, when they
secured the upper story with its ample ac-
commodations. They meet on the first and
third Monday evenings in each month, al-
though for thirty years they had met by the
moon.

H. W. Hubbard Chapter. No. 160. R. A.
M., dates back to October 31, 1873, and the
charter is signed by Asa W. Blakesley, G.
H. P , at Chicago. The list of charter mem-
bers shows that its start in the world was
eminently respectable. They were C. H.
Patton, R. A. D. Wilbanks, S. S. Porter,
H. S. Stephenson, Frederick Merrill, Z. C.
Pace. A. F. Taylor. N. C. Pace. J. W.
Baugh, J. C. McConnell, H. S. Plummer,
J. J. Bambrook, A. W. Plummer. T. T. Wil-



son, T. Gowenlook, Joel Dubois and George
Pickett. The principal ofiicers were C. H.
Patton, H. P.; R. A. D. Wilbanks. K. ; S.
S. Porter, S. Their meetings are held on the
first Friday of each month.

United Brothers of Friendship Lodge
No. 11, was organized in December, 1881
The first officers were Charles Bisch, Mas
ter; Henry Bradford, Deputy Master; W
H. Jones, Secretary; J. K. Kearney, Treas
iu"er; Hemy Jackson, Senior Marshal;
Samuel Martin. Junior Marshal; Thomas
Tinsley, Chaplain; Jesse Redman, Out-
side Sentinel; Prince Neal, Inside Senti-
nel; Nelson Gorman, R. H. Supporter;
George Scott, L. H. Supporter. It is a
colored institution and meets at the old
Odd Fellows Hall.

The first fire in the town occurred in
February, 1842. It burned a large two-
story building erected by T. B. Afflack,
but then occupied by W. J. Kirby, that
stood where Merrill's livery stable now
stands, on the corner of Main and Casey
streets. It was entirely destroyed. Bow-
man's house burned near where D. K. Good-
ale lives, was not in town. The next fire of
any magnitude destroyed the tobacco ware-
house of Varnell & Holloman, near East Main
street, iu the spring of 18(53. The next
swept nearly the entire block north of the
public square, about the 9th of March, 1868.
This fire was charged to a tailor, a new man
here, who worked in a little shop near where
Seimer & Klinker now keep. He had been
arrested and fined for brutal treatment of a
bound-bny he had, and he disappeared about
the time the fire broke out. It is supposed
he fired his shop to get revenge of the peo-
ple for their having him prosecuted. The
buildings were of combustible 'material, all
wooden, and the mud was about four inches
deep in the street, so it was found impossi-



342



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



ble to save the buildings and very difficult
to save any of the goods. In the frenzy that
always possesses some crazy fools at fires, thou-
sands of dollars worth of goods were thrown
down in the street and trampled in the mud.
A brick wall saved the building on the
southwest corner of the block. After the fire,
G. H. Patton, J. S. Kl inker and J. C. Daw-
son combined their forces and put up the
Phcenix Bluck, which still stands, an orna-
ment to our city. Nearly exactly twelve
months after this, March 16, 1869, the old
court house took dre iu the night and bui-ned
to the ground. It was generally believed to
have originated in some late bacchanalian
revels of W. E. Coffey, the Sherifi". and was
supposed by many to have been contrived by
him to cover up some of his financial crook-
edness. All the books and neaily all the
papers belonging to the of&ces were saved.
The fire was discovered by the Circuit Clerk,
J. S. Bogan. who, in answer to an extraor-
dinary call, was making his way to the office
at the dead hour.s of night to issue papers.
The nest orand attack of the tire fiend was
upon the beautiful machine shops of the St.
Louis & Southeastern Railroad Company.
Just before night on the 27th of May, 1874,
when the men had had but just time to get
homo from their day's work, a prolonged sound
of the whistle was heai'd, and the citizens soon
gathered, but only to see the flames sweep-
ing like a tornado over the combustible
roofing of the magnificent shops. Little of
the machinery was saved and the building
was a total loss. Before the year closed, the
city was visited by another calamity. De-
cember 20, 1874, the woolen factory and
mills of J. B. Tolle and others were burned.
The fire started early in the night, but the
oil, etc., rendered all so inflammable that it
was impossible to save it. The loss fell heav-
ily on all parties, but was ruinous on Mr.



Tolle. Two fires involving larger losses
have occurred this year — S. W. Westbrook's
mill, on the night of July 2, and Bell's lum-
ber yard a week later. The latter is believed
to have been fired by tramps, or by some of
our own night hawks. The former may have
been from spontaneous combustion or from
some part of the machinery, or from some
juvenile tramps seen hanging about the pre-
vious day. The loss by the lumber yard was
about $4,000; by the mill, over .§10,000.
Besides these, Henry M. Williams lost a fine
dwelling a mile north of town some fifteen
years ago. In 1874, Strattan & Johnson
procured a force pump and some hose, and
provided temporary trucks. After this had
been borrowed for every fire alarm for a year
or so and began to need repairs, they pro-
posed to the City Council to donate what they
had to the city if the latter would buy
another pump with hose and furnish the
trucks. This offer was accepted, and a fire
company organized which has proven very
efficient.

Speaking of the factory reminds us that
our first woolen factory, which was really
only a carding machine, was built about for-
ty-five years ago on the same lot where
Westbrook & Co.'s mill was burned. Jarvis
Pierce got up the enterprise, and the ma-
chine was run by a pair of oxen on a huge
inclined wheel. After a few years, Abner
Melcher got up a similar machine on Lot
No. 16, south of where James Urry now lives.
A corn mill was attached, and for many
years they did excellent service. Tolle'smill
followed, a mile northeast of town, and was
run for twenty years or more before it was
burned out there and came to town. Not far
from the time that Tolle started up on the
creek, Dr. Short built a mill at the present
northeast corner of the fair ground, where
he made a large amount of meal and lumber.



HISTORY OF JEFFEUSOX COUNTY.



34?



It was here that Sager got an arm fearfully
mangled with a saw, as many of our citizens
remember. John Summers made very good
tlour at his steam mil), two miles east of town
already mentioned, but it was not till Varnell
& Holloman put up the mill now owned by
Hobbs & Sous that we began to have a better
class of mills. The Jefferson Mills and the
Mount Vernon Milling Company, now fur-
nishing the best of everything, are recent
enterprises.

The First National Bank of Mount Ver-
non was chartered June 10, 1872, and
opened up and commenced business August
14. The stockholders were J. J. Fitzgerald,
A. M. Grant, C. D. Ham, T. G. Holland,
Noah Johnston, S. S. Marshall, J. Taylor
and B. Temple. The banking house of
Evans, "Wilbanks & Co., composed of G. W.
Evans, John Wilbanks and Van Wilbanks,
began operations in June, 1873. Both are
institutions of the highest repute.

Our first resident lawyer was Clement, in
1838-39, soon followed by Henry Eddy for a
few months in 1840, and R. S. Nelson and
R. F. Wingate soon after, for much longer
periods. These, with D. Baugh and S. G.
Hicks of our own men, and E. H. Gatewood,
J. A. McClernand and A. C. Caldwell, of
Shawneetown, Edward Jones, of Elizabeth-
town, H. Boyakin, of Belleville, and others,
constituted our bar from 1840 to 1850. But
our lawyers are noticed elsewhere. Dr. Wat-
son was our lirst physician (1821); then



Adams & Glover, 1823; then Dr. Simonds;
then Dr. J. S. Moore, in 1833; Dr. Parks,
Dr. Greetham. Dr. Allen, Dr. Gray,Dr, T. S.
Roe, Dr, Green, Dr. Edwards, etc. The
names of the high contracting parties to the
earliest weddings cannot now be given. The
first death, perhaps, was a child oat east of
Pleasant Grove neighborhood a little later.
Our first tombstone cutter was Washington
Dale, about 1842. Our first brickyard was
west of town, Mr. Hirons', 1823; the next
was made by Hirons and W. B. Hayes, north
of the Fairfield road and west of the creek,
in what is now Ragan's field Our earliest
tailors were G. W. Duckworth, William Gib-
berson and Sethman, before and up to 1840,
and A. H. Barnes, now of Lampasas, Tex.,
and Wallace Campbell, a few years later.
Our first and only pump-maker was J, J. Fly,
about 1845. Oui- fii'st shingle cutter was
William Campbell, with his brother-in-law,
Shipley, followed by R. C. Jarrell and
others. Our first tinner was Jacob Shaffner,
of Ohio, brother-in-law to Edward and Rich-
ard Noble, in 1840. Our first and only hat-
makers were James Ross and Wylie Prig-
more. Our first jeweler was Michael Tromly,
about 1841. Our first tanner was Nathaniel
Parker, just south of the Short camp-ground.
Abraham Buffington was our first gun-maker.
In other branches of business, or most of
them, there was no exclusiveness, almost
every one working at them, in more or less
clumsy stylo. Quantum suffie.it.



344



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



CHAPTER Vlllr



SHILOH TOWNSHIP— GEXEKAL DESCRIPTION— TOrOGRAPHY AND BOUNDARIES— EARLY SETTLE-
MENT-PIONEER HARDSHIPS AND PRIVATIONS— MILLS, ETC-AN INCIDENT— BIRTHS.
DEATHS AND MARRIAGES — ROADS AND BRIDGES— STOCK-RAISING-
SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES— WOODLAWN VILLAGE, ETC., ETC.

Life is one



"Youth smiled and all was heavenly fair —
Age came and laid his finger there,

And where are they'!"— Old Spanish Poem.

NEXT to Moore's Prairie and the imme-
diate settlements around Mount Ver-
non, this division of the county dates back in
its history beyond any other township. More
than sixty years have dissolved in the great
ocean of the past since the first of our race
located in what is now Shiloh Township.
And what a story, what a history is envel-
oped in those threescore years. They have
witnessed empires shaken to their centers by



in the hoary and infirm winter,
long day of ceaseless and weary labor, and
much truer did the pioneers find this to be
so fifty or sixty years ago than do we in this
age of civilization and refinement, when ed-
ucation and wealth surround us on every
hand. The years that have elapsed since
the first settlement in Shiloh have made the
frontier of Illinois almost the very center of
civilization. A State that then contained but
a few thousand people, now has almost as
many as the Republic had when it won its
independence; and a county that had but a



the throes of popular revolfitions; they have i score or two of souls has a population now
seen the hand of oblivion passed over priu- | of over 20,000, so rapidly has the country
cipalities and powers, and their places upon so rapidly the great West — grown and devel-



the maps blotted out forever. They have
looked upon the old man full of years and
honor, gathered to his fathers, and watched
the young bride stricken down at the very
altar.

Eacb of these sixty years has been the very



oped in the last half or three-quarters of a
century.

Shiloh Township lies west of Mount Ver-
non, south of Rome, east of Casner and
north of McClellan Townships, and is desig-
nated in the Congressional Survey as Town-



reflex and symbol of human life. The young | giiip 2 south, and Range 3 east. It is one of



babe is shadowed in the opening leaves and
buds and flowers. The strong and lusty
youth appears in all his manly strength and
beauty in the vigorous spring; the man of
mature years and approved wisdom, and
stands erect in the ftiUness and flush of the
summer; the descent of lite is seen in the
fading glories of autumn, and the nigh ap-
proach unto the end is too well foreshadowed

•Bj W. H. Perrin.



the finest agricultural regions io the county,
except Moore's Prairie, and many tine farms
are to be found within its limits. The sur-
face is rolling, and even broken in some por-
tions of the township, and originally was
mostly timbered land, on which grew
in great abundance several kinds of
oak, hickory, elm, ash, locust (black and
honey), sweet gum, sassafras, papaw, etc.,
etc. It is watered and drained by the West



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



345



Fork of Big Muddy, formerly called Casey's
Fork, Hooper's Creek, Cole's Creek, and sev-
eral •smaller streams. An excellent stone
quarry has been opened, and is owned by
Thomas Knott. It is pretty extensively
worked, and atfords a crood building stone.
The principal crops are wheat, corn, oats,
hay, potatoes and beans. Considerable at-
tention is paid to fruit, particularly apples.
The St. Louis Division of the Louisville &
Nashville Railroad passes through Shiloh
nearly from east to west, with VVoodlawn
Station on its west line, a village of consider-
able business enterprise. The railroad has
been of great value to the township, increas-
ing the price of lands and affording excel-
lent shipping facilities. The township re-
ceived its name from old Shiloh Church.

The first white settler in what is now
Shiloh Township is said to have been Zadok
Casey, who is so often mentioned and so ex-
tensively noticed in other chapters of this
volume, that nothing additional can be said
here without repetition. He served his coun-
try in the field as a soldier in the
Black Hawk war, in the General As-
sembly of the State, in the halls uf Con-
gress and as Lieutenant Governor, and bet-
ter than all, he served his fellow-men as a



Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 43 of 76)