William Henry Perrin.

History of Jefferson County, Illinois online

. (page 53 of 76)
Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 53 of 76)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


bounded on the south and west by Franklin
and Perry Counties, on the north by Bliss-
ville Township, on the east by Elk Prairie,
and is designated in the Government survey
as Township 4 south, and Eange 1 east. It
is a good farming region and boasts some
good farms and some energetic farmers. Its
sm-face features are much the same as other
townships described in this work. There are
no large water-coui-ses, and the land is gen-
erally rather level. The township is without
towns and railroads, and devoted chiefly to
farming.

Following close upon the heels of the re-
treating savages came the early settlers of
Jefferson County. This township was not
settled as early as Moore's Prairie and the
country around Mount Vernon. In fact,
those sections were considered old settle-
ments before any white man ventm-ed into
this division of the county. The first settlers
who came here were not well-to-do. Most of
them brought sufficient capital only to im-
prove a farm in a country where but little
i more than energy and frugality were required,
and these were, fortunately, sufficient to
! found a home here. After the fii-st arrivals,
i emigrants found open doors and willing
j hands to assist in raising a cabin. A single



'■ The souDd of the war-whoop oft woke the sleep :
of the cradle." [

AMONG the first settlers there was but i
little law and Gospel, and but little i
was needed. ladustry in working and hunt-
ing, bravery in war, candor, hospitality, hon-
esty and steadiness of deportment received
their full reward of public honor and public
confidence among these our rude forefathers 1
to a degree that has not been fully sustained
by their more polished descendants. The
punishments they inflicted upon offenders
were unerring, swift and inexorable in their
imperial com-t of public opinion, and were
wholly adapted for the reformation of he
culprit or his expulsion from the community.
Any petty misdemeanor was punished with
all the infamy that could be heaped upon the
offender.
/ With all their backwoods rudeness, these
early settlers were given to hospitality, and
, freely divided their rough fare with a neigh -
; bor or stranger, and would have been offend-
I ed at the offer of pay. In their settlements
' they lived, they worked and sometimes they
fought — for fun; and they feasted or suffered
I together in cordial harmony. They were
warm and constant in their friendships, and
the cold selfishness of the present day was
utterly unknown. The world has changed
greatly in the past fifty years, and the people
have changed with it. The change may have

•By W. H.Perrin.



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



417



day sufficed for the united neighborhood to
erect the rude structui'e, build a lire-place and
chimney and saw out the logs for doorway
and windows. Into houses in this condition
the new arrivals were generally glad to re-
move, for free as the hospitality of the pio-
neer may have been, it had no power to in-
crease the capacity of the cabin, and two
families packed a little dwelling designed for
one to overflowing. Blankets supplied the
place of windows and doors, and furs, skins
and blankets spread on brush or on the piinch-
eon floor supplied the beds. Each men was
the "architect of his own fortune;" and
while thu whole neighborhood lent willing
assistance in case of special need, each one
was too busy with his own affairs to ply any
trade for general hire.

The tirst settlement of this township is
somewhat obscure, nor can the exact date of
the advent of the first pioneer be given.

Among the tirst settleis here were Abra-
ham McGrinnis, John G. Turmon. James Bel-
lows, Willis Hardwick, Isaac Smith, William
Steerman, Samuel Irvin, the Scrnggins, Sol-
omim Goddard, Nathaniel Morgan, etc., etc.
McGinnis afterward went to Texas, but left
two sons here — James and Kichard. Tur-
mon went North, where later he died, leav-
ing a son named Grant. It may be that all
of the settlers mentioned above did not settle
at tiist in what is now Bald Hill Township,
but they settled in the immediate vicinity.
It is a difficult matter, after so many years,
to locate every early settler upon the proper
section, and they were coming in now so rap-
idly that it is impossible to keep trace of
them.

The abundance of game was a somewhat
mixed evil. When the ci-o])s of the early
settlers were tirst planted, they were subject
to the attack of crows, blackbirds and squir-
rels, and when further advanced the thou-



sands of wild geese and turkeys threatened
to take all that was left. Deer were numer-
ous, so were wolves, while the timber
swarmed with the chattering game that found
shelter there. " Painters" were numerous —
too much so for a very great feeling of secur-
ity, though as a general thing they were eas-
ily frightened away. A story is told of a
person, on a certain occasion, riding along a
trail on horseback through the woods, when
he was very much frightened and his horse
considerably scratched by a panther spring-
ing upon him from a tree, but it lost its hold
and was soon left in the distance. Women
out picking wild berries were often startled
by seeing these treacherous animals crouched
in trees, meditating the chances of an attack,
but no serious results are known to have oc-
curred in this immediate section.

The people of this settlement, like those
surrounding it, and which were removed
somewhat from the older settlements, learned
early to depend upon their own resources for
the comforts of life. This was especially
marked in the clothing of the people and the
adornment of the home. Deer skins were
largely utilized by the men, and even the
women sometimes made their own garments
of them. Buckskin breeches and buckskin
hunting-shirts were more common then than
the farmers' " overalls " are now. A buck-
skin suit was not a „very inviting thing to
jump into of a cold morning, or to wear af-
ter getting wet, but these were minor discom
forts, and were not allowed to stand in the
way of daily duties. This was the way the
people lived in the early days of the country —
days we know nothing of except as we gather
it from the " traditions of the fathers. "

The early settlers of Bald Hill Township
had the same hard times in procuring bread
as in other portions of the county. The
mortar and pestle, the hand mill, and later



418



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



the horse mill served them. Now. mill facil-
ities are all that can he desired. The town-
ship has as good roads as any other portion
of the county, but in reality this is not say-
ing much to the credit of roads in general.
As there are few streams in the township,
bridges are not much needed.

Originally, Bald Hill was a part of Elk
Prairie Election Precinct; but after township
organization, it became Bald Hill Township.
It is Democratic in politics, and has always
been of that faith. Since the time of town-
ship organization, the following is a list of
township officials in Bald Hill:

Supervisors — John B. Ward, 1870; John
B. Ward! 1871; John B. Ward, 1872; John
B. Ward, 1873; R. J. D, Allan, 1874; S. B.
Gilbert, 1875; R. J. D. Allan, 1876; J. B.
Ward, 1877; J. B. Ward, 1878; J .B. Ward,
1879; J. H. Johnson. 1880; L. A. Johnson,
1881; L. A. Johnson, 1882; R. T. Wright,
1883, the present incumbent.

Township Clerks- G. B. Johnson, 1872;
H. F. White, 1873; W. Clampit, 1874; W.
H. Hudson, 1875; W. H. Hudson, 1876: J.
H. Wilhaite, 1877; J. H. Wilhaite, 1878; J.
Lemmon, 1879; J. Lemmon, 1880; J. Lem-
mon, 1881; W. H Baldwin, 1882; Thomas
Dennington, 1883, now in office.

Assessors— William Clampit, 1872; Will-
iam Clampit, 1873; S. B. Gilbert, 1874;
William Clampit, 1875; T. S. Johnson, 1876;
W. E. Ward, 1877; W. E. Ward, 1878; S.
B. Gilbert, 1879: B. W. Laur, 1880; J. J.
Baker, 1881; B W. Laur, 1882; O. E. Bald-
win, 1883, the present incumbent.

Collectors— S. B. Gilbert, 1872; S. B. Gil-
bert, 1873; H. Foreman, 1874; W. E. Ward,
1875; W. E. Ward, 1876; W. E. Ward,
1877; W. J. Cook. 1878; B. W. Laur, 1879;
H. Foreman, 1880; W.J.Cook, 1881; W. J.
Cook, 1882; S. M. Gilbert, 1883, now hold-
ing the position.



School Treasurers— R. J. D. Allan, W. H.
Benthall, W. H. Baldwin, G. B. Johnson, W.
H. Benthall, S. S. Warren.

Justices of the Peace — W. H. Cunning-
ham, S, B. Gilbert, J. F. Kirkpatriek, R. J.
D. Allan, W. S. Jenkins, W. J. Cook, S. B.
Gilbert, R. T. Wright, R. J. D. Allan.

Constables — J. R. Fagan, W. H. Baldwin.
J. Warren, W. H. Allen, S. O. Nowland, J.
Johnson, R. T. Wright, J. F. Walker, W. H.
Baldwin, A. J. Duglett, J. R. Fagan.

Highway Commissioners— Isaac Fleener,
C. B. Hamby, A. C. Wheeler, William Dud-
ley, H. C. Foreman, W. Harris, J. B. John-
son, H. F. White, R. D. Webb, J. B. John-
son, F. M. Baldwin, M. M. Fitzgerrell. W.
A. Ward, A. J. Duglett.

Educational and church facilities are
somewhat meager in this township to what
they are in other portions of the county.
The early history of education here is but a
sample of what it was elsewhere in the early
days. It cannot be said now who taught the
first school, or where the first, schooihouse
was built. The township now has five school-
houses, a smaller number than any other
township in the county. These schoo [houses
stand on Sections 2, 8, 23, 29 and 36, and in
them schools are taught for the usual period
each year. There is but one church build-
ing in the township, and that is Bald Hill
Methodist Episcopal Church, near the north
line of the township. It is a frame building,
and has a very good membership for a coun-
try church. Religious services are held in
several of the schoolhouses.

Bald Hill Township contains some very
fine farming lands. It is diversified between
woodland and prairie. Horse Prairie lies
mostly in Bald Hill, while the four town-
ships of Bald Hill, Blissville, Elk Prairie
and McClellaa corner in Knob Prairie. In
these prairies may be seen some as fine farms



HISTORY OF JEFFERSON COUNTY.



419



as are found in the county. Stock-raising
is beginning to occupy the minds of the
farmers mi;ch of late years, and judging
from present indications the time is not far
distant when this will be quite a stock-rais-
ing region. No railroad taps the township,
but the Illinois Central passes so near it that
it affords the farmers here excellent shipping
facilities. There is nothing to prevent this



township from being one of the most pros-
perous communities in the county. Nothing is
required but plenty of energy and enterprise.
With this chapter we close the historical
part of this volume. To the many friends
who have lent us their kindly smiles and
assistance, and particularly to the old set-
tlers, we wish them health, longj life and
happiness. Addio!




PAET IV



JOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES,



PART IV.



Biographical Sketches,



MOUNT VERNON CITY AND TOWNSHIP.



JOHN R. ALLEN, farmer. P. 0. Mt. Vernon,
was born June 16, 1840, in Jefferson County,
III., son of John W. Allen, of Sumner Count}',
Tenn., since of Jefferson County, 111., was edu-
cated in Washington County, 111., and is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He served three years in the late war in Com-
pany A, One Hundred and Tenth Illinois
Volunteer Infautr}'. He works at the wagon
trade and runs a grist mill, but was a black-
smith by trade. Was married, August 11,
1860, to Miss Sarah M., daughter of William
Tate, of Jefferson County, and has had six
children, five of whom are living — Eli \\'., Per-
dita R., Nina, U. S. and Henry D. Mrs. Allen
died July 23, 1875, and was buried at Pleas-
ant Grove. Mr. Allen was again married Sep-
tember 26, 1875, to Eliza J. Mitchell of Mis-
sissippi, by whom he has had one child — Ed-
ward C. He owns 161 acres of land, and is
engaged in farming and stock-raising. Poli-
tics, Republican.

HON. WILLIAM B. ANDERSON, County
Judge, Mt. Vernon. (A sketch of Judge William
R. Anderson will be found in the chapter on
the War History.)

JOHNW. BAUGH, express agent, Mt. Ver-
non, was born Febr. 11, 1836, in Mt. Vernon, 111.
He is a son of Judge Downing Baugh, a native
of Barren County, Ky., an attorney at law, who



came to this count}- about 1821, teaching school
for several years, after which he entered the
mercantile business, and then served as Justice
of the Peace for many j-ears ; also served as
Probate Justice. At the age of forty-five, he
commenced the study of law, and was admitted
to the bar in Mt. Vernon, where he followed his
profession, and in 1854 was appointed Judge
of the Circuit Court, to fill the unexpired term
of Judge Marshall. In 1857, he moved to Mc-
Gregor, Iowa, where he followed his profes-
sion, and was elected Judge of the City Court.
He is now virtually retired from active life.
He was an active member of the Masonic fra-
ternity, Mt. Vernon Lodge, No. 31, holding the
office of Master for many years. In his new
home in Iowa, he has also been prominently
connected with the higher order of Masons,
and now holds the office of Grand Prelate of
the Grand Commandery of the Knights Temp-
lar, and also Grand Chaplin of the Grand Chap-
ter. He was born in Auril, 1798, and is yet
living, a grand old man, although he has lost
his eyesight. He has seen more than two
generations rise and pass away. He is aDem-
ocrat in pohtics, and a warm supporter of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. His whole
life is an example worthy of imitation. His
father, John Baugh, was also a native of
Kentucky. He was a minister of the Christian



BIOGRAPHICAL:



Church. He was also a merehaut in Bowling
Green, K}-., and Mt. Vernon, 111., to which lat-
ter place he came about 1821, and died here in
1854. The mother of our subject, Mill}- (Pace)
Baugh, was a daughter of an old pioneer, Joel
Pace, who was formerly a soldier in the Revo-
lutionary war. He died here. Her mother,
Mary (East) Pace, was a fine old lady, a true
type of our American women ; she reached the
good old age of eighty-three years. Our sub-
ject was educated in Mt. Vernon. In earl}'
life he learned and followed the harness-maker's
trade. In 1861, he enlisted in the Eighteenth
Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry as a mu-
sician, and was mustered out in the spring of
1862, when here-enlisted in Company F, of the
Fortieth Illinois Infantry Volunteers, as a pri-
vate, but through his own exertion and ability
was promoted several times, till he held the
office of Adjutant. He resigned in th^ fall of
1864, and returned to Mt. Vernon, where he
served in the Circuit Clerk's office for eleven
years, and then served four years as Police
magistrate. Since then he has been express
agent for the Adams Express Compan}". Our
subject was married in May, 1862, at Mt. Ver-
non, 111., to Miss Amelia J. Hill, born April
1, 1842, in Clay County, 111. Her father. Rev.
J. H. Hill, was a native of Ohio. Her mother
was Eleanor (Williams) Hill. Mrs. Baugh is
the mother of two children — Frank C, born
July 5, 1865 ; and Milly E., born October 21,
1867. Mr. and Mrs. Baugh and children are
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He is an A. F. & A. M. and an active worker
in the Sunday school, of which he is the Su-
perintendent. In political matters, he is a Dem-
ocrat.

WILLIAM BAWDEN, farmer, P. O. Mt.
Vernon, was born in Cornwall, England, July
9. 1834, and is a son of John Bawden (de-
ceased), also a native of Cornwall, He mar-
ried Louise Quilliam, a native of the Isle of
Man, and a daughter of John Quilliam, Mrs,



Bawden has in her possession a photograph
of the Laxey Water Wheel, on her native
Island, which is the largest water wheel in the
world, being thirty-seven feet in diameter. Mr.
and Mrs. Bawden have eight children — Nellie,
Hannah L., Willy R., John H,, Thomas E,,
Emma ?Iaud, Herbert M. and Mabel M. Mr.
and Mrs. Bawden came to North Michigan in

1857, and to St. Louis, Mo., in 1864, but in
eighteen months went back as far as Jo Daviess
County, 111., where he bought a half interest in
a lead mine, since known as Bawden's Tunnel,
which he ran for about nine years. He then
went to Utah Territory, and worked in the cele-
brated Emma Mine, in Little Cottonwood
Caiion for eighteen months, when he returned
to Jo Daviess Count}", and engaged in farming,
which he still pursues. He removed to this
county in March, 1881, and settled on Section
15, in Mt. Vernon Township, where he owns
160 acres of land.

LEWIS N. BEAL, farmer, P. 0. Mt. Vernon,
was born in Lehigh County, Penn., April 28,
1844, and is a son of Jacob Beal (deceased), a
native of Bavaria, who emigrated to America
about the year 1836. Our subject spent his
boyhood days on the farm, and attended the
common schools. He came to St. Clair County,
111., with his parents in 1851. and in 1855 to
Centralia. He came to Jefferson Count}' in

1858, where he has since resided, except two
years that he spent in Kansas, which was dur-
ing 1864 and 1865. He married Sarah M.
Casey January 20, 1872. She is a daughter
of the well-known Franklin S. Casey (deceased).
They have three cliildren — Alvin C, John F.
and May E. Mr, Beal owns eighty-five acres
of very valuable land, and is engaged in gen-
eral farming. He is a member of the Method-
ist Episcopal Church. His farm lies in Sec-
tion 30, and adjoining the city of Mt, Vernon,

GEORGE H BITTROLFF, merchant, Mt.
Vernon, This gentleman was born April 18.
1852, in Evansville, Ind. His father, Louis



MOrNT VERNON CITY AND TOWNSHIP.



Bittrolff, was a native of Baden, Germany. He
is a jeweler by occupation, having learned his
trade with his father, John L. Bittrolff, who
also had the first jewehy store in Evansville,
Ind. The mother of our subject, Anna (Gross-
man) Bittrolff, is a native of Wurtcmberg, Ger-
many. She is the mother of seven children,
viz.: George H., Louis H., Annie Wright. Mol-
lie Ford, William, Eliza and Walter, deceased.
Our subject was educated in Evansville, where
he learned and followed book-keeping till 1878,
when he came to Mt. Vernon, where he. in part-
nership with R. E. Ryan, opened a dry goods
store on a small scale, but added to the stock
from time to time till at present the}' carry a
stock of from $12,000 to $15,000, including a
stock of boots and shoes. Owing to his energy,
honesty and perseverance, he has established
for himself a good reputation as a thorough
business man. His store occupies the first and
second floors of a fine building on the south
side of the square. He was married, October
10, 1872, in Evansville, Ind., to Miss Willa
Nail, born August 24, 185-1, in Rumsey, Ky.
She is a daughter of William J. and Rebecca
Nail. Four children were the result of this
happy union, viz.: Hallie A., born November
3, 1873; George Nail, born July 10, 1877;
Ray, born November 30, 1879; Clyde, born June
(!, 1882, .\Irs. Bittrolff is a member of the
Baptist Church. He is a Knight of Pythias,
and in politics is a Republican. The Bittrolffs
came originally from France, from whence thej'
fled to Germany on account of religious perse-
cution, about the time the Huguenots came to
America.

DR. ROBERT BLUM, dentist, Mt. Vernon.
It is an encouraging phase of our present age
that the prizes awarded honest work and vigor-
ous energy are open to all, and that the young
man maj' win the highest honors and emolu-
ments equally with the man of large and varied
experience. Dr. Blum, though only just in
middle life, has risen to the higher rank of his



profession, and sustains a reputation worthy
only of the highest abilit}-. He was born July
23, 1842, in Southeastern Russia, and is a son
of A. and Julia (Schultz) Blum, both natives of
Russia ; he born in 1812, and she in 1818.
The parents came to this country, with their
family, in 1844, and first settled in Galveston,
Texas, where the father dealt in furs for a num-
ber of years. At present he is a merchant in
Tarpen Springs, Fla., and since his advent in
this country he has made and lost three good
fortunes. Subject is the youngest of three liv-
ing children — Edward A., Amalia G. and Rob-
ert — out of a family of fourteen children. The
schools of New Orleans and St. Louis afforded
our subject his means of education. Wliile in
the latter city, he apprenticed himself to a den-
tist there, and there learned his profession. He
afterward practiced dentistrj- in Du Quoin
and Cairo, and in 1872 he came to Mt.
Vernon, where he has followed his profession
since. He was married, June 4, 1867, in Du-
Quoin, to Miss Alice'Spotts, born February 8,
1844, in Greene County, 111., and a daughter of
Samuel Spotts, born May 7, 1812, in Delaware,
an architect and builder b}' profession. He died
July 31, 18(i4. Five children have come to
bless this union — May 0., born May 5, 1868;
Albert and Alfred, twins, born September 2,
1869; Robert A., born January 1, 1874, and
Guy E., born February 6, 1881. Mr. Blum is
a member of the A. F. & A. M., and in poli-
tics is a Democrat.

JOHN S. BOGAN, Circuit Clerk, Mt. Vernon,
was born in Woodstock, Shenandoah Co., Va., on
the 6th of March, 1820. ' His father, Benjamin
Bogan, was born in Spottsylvania County, Va ,
December 30, 1795. He was reared in Alex-
andria, Va., and graduated from the theolog-
ical seminarj- of that city; he there served an
apprenticeship at the printer's trade with John
Stewart, and subsequently removed to Wood-
stock of that State, when he became engaged
in the publication of a paper, he himself acting



BIOGRAPHICAL.



as editor; he continued this for a number of
years and then removed to Mt. Vernon, Ohio,
where he published a paper for four j'ears. At
the expiration of this time he returned to
Woodstoclt, and soon after was appointed clerls
of the Second Comptroller's office, Washington,
D. C and soon after was transferred to a clerk-
ship in the general post office. He held this
position for ten 3'ears, and was then appointed
chief clerk of the Senate document room, where
he remained for twentj-two years, and was
then removed on the commencement of Grant's
Presidency. He was a Captain in the war of
1812. At the time of his newspaper career, he
became noted as one of the leading writers of
the east, and was afterward a corresponding
editor of five or six of the leading journals of
our country. He was an Elder of the Presby-
terian Church. His death occurred in Fair-
fax County, Va., on the 25th of July, 1870.
He was a son of John Bogan, of Scotch-Irish
descent, and a soldier in the Revolutionary
war. Sarah A. (Ott) Bogan (subject's
mother) was born at Woodstock, Va., April
18, 1801, and died in Fairfax County, Va.;
September 26, 1867. She was a daughter of
Michael and Mary (Zaron) Ott, natives of York,
Penn,, who subsequently settled in Virginia.
He was a soldier in the French war. Our sub-
ject's parents had twelve children, of whom the
following six are living : Dr. Vanburen, of Wash-
ington City; Susan S., wife of Hon. George H.
Varnell, of Mt. Vernon, 111.; Samuel W., of
Washington, D. C; Anna, wife of Samuel Butt,
of Fairfax County, Va.; Charles J., of the
Treasury Department, Washington, D. C, and
John S., our subject, who is the oldest child.
He was reared in Woodstock until he was
twelve years of age, when he was removed by
his parents to Washington. When about four-
teen years of age, he entered upon a six years'
term of apprenticeship in the GJohe printing
office of Blair & Reed, Washington, D. C. He
remained in this position until 1843, when, on



account of his failing health, he engaged in
farming near Washington, and continued the
saipe until October 30, 1846; he came to Jeffer-
son County, 111., in Grand Prairie Township,
where he continued the occupation of farming
until August, 1851, when he removed to Mt.
Vernon, and started the first newspaper of the
town, the Jeffersonian. In the fall of 1854, he
sold his paper to Bowman & Robertson, and
the same year was elected Circuit Clerk of the
county, a position he still retains, and fills to
the entire satisfaction of the citizens of Jeffer-
son County. Previous to 1854, while engaged
in farming, he held the offices of School Direc-
tor, Constable and Deputy Sheriff. He was
married in 1842 to Miss Louisa Margaret Bru-
nette, a native of Alexandria County, Va. She
is the mother of five children, viz., Sarah B.,
wife of Marcus L. Goodale; Mary C, wife of
William T. Goodrich; Hannah, wife of Newton
C. Pace; William and John F. Mr. Bogan has
been connected with the Jefferson County Fair
Association as Secretary or President since
1860; he is a charter member of the I. 0.



Online LibraryWilliam Henry PerrinHistory of Jefferson County, Illinois → online text (page 53 of 76)